PDA

View Full Version : Return to the Temple of Elemental Evil

Pages : [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7

Shhalahr Windrider
2007-12-03, 07:21 AM
Out-of-Character Thread: http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=62587

The Valiant Heroes
Aratos Tell (http://www.myth-weavers.com/sheetview.php?sheetid=30905): Magnificent Druid Explorer
Megiddo (http://www.coyotecode.net/profiler/view.php?id=1907): Mystic Cerebremancer
Lor Stillford (http://www.myth-weavers.com/sheetview.php?sheetid=33297): Knight of Heironius and Defender of the Weak
Pyro Aeliat (http://www.myth-weavers.com/sheetview.php?sheetid=53664): Can-do-anything
Grigor (http://www.myth-weavers.com/sheetview.php?sheetid=54723): Cleric of Olidammara
Current Initiative

Temple Initiative
Pyro (1d20+9=23 (http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/2136504/))
Xaod (17+)
Hobgoblins (17)
Lor (1d20=7 (http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/2136500/))

Moathouse Initiative
Ricar (22)
Megiddo (1d20+3=17 (http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/2078998/)++)
Tell (17+)
Grigor (1d20=17 (http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/2078996/))
Haunor (11)
Regular Militia (10)
Black-robed Cleric (3)
[hr]Chapter 1: Shadows Rising

Between the Gnarley Forest and the Lortmil Mountains lies the Viscounty of Verbobonc. There was a time when the only remarkable feature of this peaceful province was its capital, which served as a major center of trade.

Then Evil came.

Just over a generation ago, a temple was built just north of the village of Hommlet. This temple was devoted to the cause of destruction through elemental fury and became known as the Temple of Elemental Evil.

Though it had its own goals, the Temple acted as a beacon for all other sorts of evil. It attracted bandits, brigands, and vile monsters that slowly began to lay waste to the surrounding countryside.

It was not long until the people of Verbobonc and the surrounding territories took notice and realized the Temple of Elemental Evil threatened the entire realm and needed to be destroyed. They raised an army. This army met the forces of the Temple on Emridy Fields. Though the forces of Good were victorious, they could not destroy the Temple itself and so they let it stand as a monument to darkness.

But letting the Temple stand meant that its threat was not destroyed but simply dormant. Within the next decade, the forces of Elemental Destruction sought to reclaim what was once theirs. The Temple began to rise again.

This time, the people of Verbobonc put their faith in several small groups that focused tactical strikes on the Temple itself. While not campaigning against Evil, these heroes found solace in Hommlet.

It soon became apparent that the threat posed by the Temple of Elemental Evil was greater than previously imagined. Within the Temple's dark dungeons, the priests hatched schemes that sought to wreak chaos and destruction throughout the Flanaaes and beyond.

The forces of Good struck at the temple with renewed vigor. Eventually, one of the teams confronted a powerful demon in the heart of the Temple. After defeating this paragon of darkness, they managed to bring the entire Temple down, eliminating the threat posed by Elemental Evil for good.

...Or so it would seem. For, in its own way, history is about to repeat itself.

[hr]The victory over Elemental Evil brought fame to the village of Hommlet. Eager to share in the joy brought on by such heroics, many people swarmed to the village. Some even stayed. And the village grew.

As the years passed an peace settled in the land, interest in the village waned, and the village's growth stabilized. Now the village is a quiet—some would say sleepy—small town.

And it is on a road just outside this town that five strangers meet, blissfully unaware of the coming darkness.

Another_Poet
2007-12-03, 09:34 AM
Tell

Tell and Megiddo are walking together, and Tell sees a silhoutted figure up ahead. He puts his hand on Megiddo's shoulder and gestures toward the figure silently, with a nod of his head.

Squinting, he tries to make out the person in more detail.

[roll0]

Tarinth
2007-12-03, 09:41 PM
A small winged figure approaches Tell and his friend Megiddo cautiously. You notice he is a black draconic kobold as he comes closer. His palms are open to show he means no harm. On his person, he seems to have only a backpack, a nice cloak, and a wand at his side that his hand repeatedly drifts to subconsiously, but no weapons. In passable common he querries Hello fellow travelers. Who are you and where are you going if I may ask? Perhaps you are looking for adventure? He seems unsure of himself with his attempt at a formal hello and looks ready to take off at a moments notice.

Entertainer13
2007-12-04, 12:03 AM
Lor approaches from behind and interrupts the interaction.

"If any of you are traveling to Hommlet, perhaps we should band together until we arrive there. Treacherous roads, and all.

She rests her hand on a symbol of Heironius.

Lor Stillford, Knight of Heironius.

Another_Poet
2007-12-04, 01:40 AM
Tell

Tell glances at Hommlet, already visible in the distance, and grins a bit.

"Band together eh?" He scratches his head. "You guys part of an act or something?"

(He assumes Megiddo knows him well enough to understand he is worried they are actually bandits trying to create a diversion of some sort.)

Skjaldbakka
2007-12-04, 01:41 AM
Megiddo pauses as he sees a group of travelers on the road. He stops, and carefully examines the two. His gaze quickly falls on the holy symbol of Heironious. Wonderful, a paladin. A sacred champion of all that is good an holy in this world. A crusader against all that is evil in the universe. A paragon if virtue, disharmony, and foolishness. Just what we need to truly foul up this expedition. A gods-blessed Paladin. Traveling with a kobold, one that likely has quite an unusual outlook on the world, given the company that he keeps.

After a pause, he speaks. "Greetings Sir Knight. Would you also be traveling to Hommlet, or merely passing through? Either way, you are correct. There is strength in numbers, and who knows what manner of creatures might roam these lands. Your sword arm may be most valuable, so long as you keep the preaching to a minimum. I am a follower of Boccob. Not that he cares."

Megiddo is a tall elf, with amber eyes and long silver hair. He wears light blue flowing robes, and has a sword at his side, which looks more ceremonial than practical. He carries no other gear but a simple leather pack.

Tarinth
2007-12-04, 10:08 AM
Kajiki looks warily at the knight and keeps himself on the edge of the road, refusing to be caught inbetween any two people. As we begin walking down the road Kajiki tries to strike up conversation.Yes, strength in numbers, very good. I knew you looked intelligent. I here there are ruins in this area of an old temple. If you are interested in such things, we could go together for safety. I am very skilled at mining and am interested in excavating it to see what is left there.

Another_Poet
2007-12-04, 12:12 PM
Tell

Since Megiddo seems to be okay with the strangers, Tell shrugs and tosses his pillar of dreadlocks over his shouler. He begins to walk along with the others, using the edge of his hatchet to pick out the grime from under his fingernails.

He doesn't respond to the kobold, but he does toss a glance at the surrounding tree line, looking for any sign of hidden accomplices.

[roll0]

Tarinth
2007-12-04, 12:30 PM
Tell is making Kajiki worried, so he decides to look around too.
Spot (1d20+9=12) (http://invisiblecastle.com/find.py?id=1406307)
Apparently he is too preocupide with those around him to do a very good job though.

Entertainer13
2007-12-04, 02:29 PM
Lor sighs. She's always too forward. The outside world isn't like the temple she grew up in.

Perhaps I shall be even more blunt. As I stated, I am Lor Stillford. I am on a quest seeking one known as Xaod the Slayer. He was last seen in this area and I need to find him. Any aid you could give would be wonderful, but I am content to continue on my way.

She awaits their response.

Tarinth
2007-12-04, 02:49 PM
Sorry, I have not been in this region long and know of no Xaod friend, but perhaps you could ask around at the local tavern once we get to town. Who is this Xaod the Slayer, and what does he slay?
You notice Kajiki seems to have a nervous habit of reaching for his wand wenever he asks a question but he seems happy that someone has once again broken the silence.

Shhalahr Windrider
2007-12-04, 05:44 PM
(( Well, with a spot check like that, I should hope he can make out Orthus somewhere (hint, hint, Zero). If not, he at least notices a deer hiding in the brush nearby. The deer of course bolts as soon as it realizes it's been noticed. ))

Another_Poet
2007-12-04, 08:20 PM
Tell

Seeing the deer, Tell quickly reaches for his bow as he steps off the road. He nocks an arrow and stares into the foliage where the deer leapt away, trying to tell where it is to get a clear shot on it:

[roll0]

And if he can see it:

[roll1]
[roll2]

Not wanting to interrupt the conversation going on, he does this without a word of explanation to the others.

((Note to DM: not a desperate grab for XP here, just looking for meat!))

Another_Poet
2007-12-04, 08:29 PM
Tell cont'd

Frowning, he launches a second arrow immediately on the tail of the first:

[roll0]
[roll1]

ZeroNumerous
2007-12-04, 08:32 PM
The bow shot glances off of a very metallic sounding object. "Oui! Who's shootin' mah armor fulla 'oles?!" A squat, red-headed dwarf crawls out of the underbrush. His armor glints in the sunlight, and has a rather obvious point where the arrow bounced off his left shoulder. "Oui. You. 'Ume. Why're ya shootin' at me fer?!"

Another_Poet
2007-12-04, 08:40 PM
Grinning knowingly, Tell lowers his bow. "You owe me a deer."

ZeroNumerous
2007-12-04, 08:55 PM
"Like hell ye daft fool! I was huntin' that thing fer me breakfast! Now 'xplain yourself dammit!"

Another_Poet
2007-12-04, 09:15 PM
Tell

Tell scratches his chin and tilts his head. "Well, some might say it's unsafe, hiding out in the brush that way. But--" he nods toward the other travelers down the way "--with company like that, I'm jealous."

He raises one eyebrow at the dwarf.

Tarinth
2007-12-04, 11:27 PM
Kajiki sticks his forked tongue out at Tell in response to his remark and edges towards the edge of the group thinking he is perfectly good company, naturally. Again, his left hand drifts towards his coveted wand subconsciously as the growing number of unknown and well equiped people has grown without any hint of their feelings towards himself or Lor.
Trying to make at least one friend, he makes a knowledge local check for info on this Xaod Slayer and tries to start up another conversation with Lor about this man as his initial efforts were interrupted by a deer and a dwarf.

Knowledge(Local) (1d20+3=11) (http://invisiblecastle.com/find.py?id=1407523)

Apparently, he draws a blank, but asks Lor who the person is one more time.

Skjaldbakka
2007-12-05, 12:10 AM
Megiddo (http://www.coyotecode.net/profiler/view.php?id=1907)

"Tell me more of the Xaod the Slayer. I may be interested in assisting you. On the other hand I may not. I do have other matters of interest in this area."

Shhalahr Windrider
2007-12-05, 08:05 AM
(( Nope. Xaod is not particularly notable unless you've met him. ))

Entertainer13
2007-12-05, 03:58 PM
Xaod has been lax in reporting to his superiors at the church. I'm simply here to find out where he is and why he has not been responding to their calls. Dark times may be ahead.

Lor looks about quickly. Spot: [roll0]

The Old One seems to be on the move.

Skjaldbakka
2007-12-05, 04:14 PM
"What kind of follower of Heironous calls himself the slayer?"

Entertainer13
2007-12-05, 04:21 PM
It's what he calls himself. It's not my job to ask why he earned such a name. Perhaps as a slayer of evil.

Skjaldbakka
2007-12-05, 04:25 PM
"Either way, my interest is rapidly waning. Some knight not reporting to his superiors? Why should I care? What does that have to do with the price of wool in the Flanaess?"

Tarinth
2007-12-05, 04:44 PM
Kajiki tries to keep the conversation going somewhere productive that will keep us together. Who is the Old One?

Entertainer13
2007-12-05, 06:05 PM
To Megiddo:

! did not ask for your help in finding him, merely if anyone knew of his whereabouts. Since the church hired me, it is obviously none of your concern.

Lor turns to the kobold.

You do not know of the Old One? I dare not speak his name, for I do not know if his power has grown to even this region, but I would be certain you'd know his name if you heard it.

((OOC: Tarinth, "the Old One" is a term for the god Iuz. He's always causing trouble in Grayhawk. He's the "Sauron" to the heroic PC's "Frodo."))

Shhalahr Windrider
2007-12-05, 10:11 PM
(( Knowledge (local, history, geography, nobility and royalty, or religion) checks could tell you a bit more about Iuz if you want. You're not stressed, so you could take 10 if you want. But then you lose out on the possibility of getting the extra info a natural 20 might provide... ))

Tarinth
2007-12-05, 10:28 PM
Um, lets just asume I did not ask such a stupid question then.
Ok, we'll keep the question then, not that it matters too much.

To Lor's response to Megiddo, Kajiki mumbles quietly to himself But more helpers are always better. Lor can here the comment if you want her to be offended or something.:smallamused:

Shhalahr Windrider
2007-12-05, 10:50 PM
(( Nah. It's not stupid... if most of your experience has been sequestered in a kobold warren until relatively recently. :smallwink:

And Entertainer13 may be exaggerating Iuz's influence a tad. My experience in Living Greyhawk tends to imply people aren't particularly concerned of Iuz unless their homeland neighbors his Empire. But as Entertainer13 and I are in the Highfolk region, which does border the Empire of Iuz, we tend to see him as a universal big bad moreso than other folks would (though it's not as bad as the Shield Lands, where Iuz is an occupying force).

That's not to say he hasn't had wide ranging impact. He does tend to create big waves (see "Greyhawk Wars"). But influence on distant realms is generally indirect. And as a demigod, he has the potential to really up the ante at any given moment.

As to geographical impact in this campaign, Iuz would have to march through Highfolk or Furyondy to reach Veluna, the realm to which Verbobonc owes fealty. Of course, Veluna is an ally of Furyondy, so their willing to take the fight to the Old One when necessary. Verbobonc is on the far side of Veluna from Furyondy.

And even if you do know of Iuz "The Old One" is a nickname you don't have to be familiar with. The kobolds could have their own nickname for him. (The only other nickname in the Living Greyhawk Gazeteer is "Iuz the Evil") ))

Another_Poet
2007-12-05, 11:14 PM
Tell

Tell helps the World's Least Responsive Dwarf to his feet and gestures for him to walk into town with them.

"Come on, my friend Megiddo will buy you a drink."

Entertainer13
2007-12-06, 12:57 AM
Lor ignores the two people she feels are insulting her mission and follows the dwarf.

Skjaldbakka
2007-12-06, 12:57 AM
Megiddo

"Do you honestly think that the Old One has some mystical power that allows him to know whenever anyone talks about him? Do you actually think that referring to him by a title rather than a name would in any way mitigate this ability, if he has it?"

He proceeds to walk down the path towards Hommlet.

ZeroNumerous
2007-12-06, 02:18 AM
"Come on, my friend Megiddo will buy you a drink."

"Ye still owe me breakfast. I'm famished.. Name's Orthus. Folks back 'ome call me "The Mace" onna count o' this." The dwarf shakes a wooden morningstar that hangs from his right hip. "This and the Mad Mage's blessing has won me plenty of barfights."

The dwarf turns to address Megiddo while they travel toward town. "And who are ye to question 'er choice to use such monikers? Iffin ye know for a fact that ole Stinkeye cannae hear 'er, then you can let 'er call 'im whatever comes to mind without fear'o'repurcussions. Iffin ye don't.. Then why cannae the missus err on the side of caution?"

Skjaldbakka
2007-12-06, 03:04 AM
Megiddo

"It is not so much that I care about her use of such a monicker, but more that I have little respect for the knights of Heironious, and so am inclined to give them a difficult time whenever they make their foolishness so obvious."

ZeroNumerous
2007-12-06, 03:40 AM
"Oui. Simple and pure bigotry. I unner'stand my narrow-minded friend."

Skjaldbakka
2007-12-06, 03:54 AM
Megiddo

"Not bigotry. For my bias against the knights of Heironous to be bigotry, it would require that joining that order be non-voluntary. As it is not, I can safely assume certain beliefs and values that a knight of Heironious is certain to hold. As I do not agree with those beliefs, and in fact find those beliefs to be actively harmful to the cosmological balance of the material plane, I am perfectly justified in giving our good friend the knight a hard time for her foolishness."

Megiddo responds in a perfectly level tone, which does not betray any hint of annoyance or anger.

Entertainer13
2007-12-06, 08:51 AM
Sir, I would watch that tongue if I were you. You are allowed your opinion, but the moment you start to question a belief system that someone may have spent a lifetime coming to terms to, a belief system they may have chosen after thought and consideration... you cross a line, and others may not be as forgiving as I.

Her tone is level as well, though a fire hides behind her eyes.

I should also warn you there is a reason I never chose the hard road of the Palidan, and chose instead the life of a soldier. So I'll leave you with this - you learn to respect my way of life, and I'll adhere to the law of the land and respect yours.

Another_Poet
2007-12-06, 09:38 AM
Tell

Tell gives a second glance at the dwarf's morningstar, intrigued that it is made of wood. He wonders what kind of wood it is:

[roll0]

Tarinth
2007-12-06, 10:25 AM
In preparation to entering Homlet, Kajiki positions his cloak over as much of himself as possible, especially his wings, and pulls the hood up over his head.

Another_Poet
2007-12-06, 10:30 AM
Tell

Tell makes sure he is not standing next to the creature, and is a bit farther back on he road, he and the dwarf trailing behind Megiddo and the others.

ZeroNumerous
2007-12-06, 12:07 PM
Orthus

"And how, pray tell, is this any different from being a normal cranky old bigot? Ye hate someone simply 'cause they choose to believe something. Bigots hate people 'cause they choose to believe something. Ye be a short-sighted individual, regardless of whether ye try to justify it with this or that. Either way, I suggest keeping ye short-sighted opinion to yeself once we reach Hommlet. Place is big business for Saint Cuthbert."

Tell: It's just ordinary wood.

Another_Poet
2007-12-06, 12:13 PM
Tell

Tell admires the mace, but makes no further comment. While the others talk he stoops down and plucks small leaves from several daisies by the roadside, then proceeds to eat them one at a time as the group walks.

((It is spring or summer, right?))

Entertainer13
2007-12-06, 03:36 PM
Lor

That is true. St. Cuthbert calls those of an opinionated nature. You should fit in well, my new friend.

Lor looks with hesitancy at Kajiki. She hadn't noticed the wings. She shrugs and continues walking. She has seen odder sights.

Shhalahr Windrider
2007-12-06, 05:23 PM
(( Yes, it's summer. Just a week after Growfest. ))

(( Kajiki should probably make a Disguise check to see how well he hides the wings under the cloak. ))

As the group keeps walking, they find themselves passing by a number of farms before reaching the village proper.

Though the village has many homes and shops and other buildings, they have managed to build alongside their environment. As such, there are many trees, shrubs, and gardens decorating the landscape, even along the main road by which the group enters.

Being at the foot of the Kron Hills, the terrain is already getting rough. On a particluarly large hill so as to be visible from the surrounding land is a small keep overlooking the entire village.

It is late afternoon as our intrepid heroes enter the village. Those returning to their homes from their day's business give cautious glances towards the heavily armored individuals and the small cloaked figure.

Map
http://s12.divshare.com/files/2007/12/06/3025734/hommletSmall.jpg
Larger Version (http://s12.divshare.com/files/2007/12/06/3025733/hommlet.jpg)

You are entering from the north.

Another_Poet
2007-12-06, 06:40 PM
Tell

Tell scrunches his nose and sniffs several times, frowning.

Skjaldbakka
2007-12-07, 01:54 AM
Megiddo

"That I do not have any respect for those who follow Heironous does not mean that I hate them. I simply feel that they have beliefs that I don't agree with. If they want to get upset because I challenge their beliefs, then they are further demonstrating their foolishness. Any reasonable person would welcome a challenge to their beliefs. If their beliefs are true, then any challenge will only serve to strengthen their belief, as they analyze the potential challenge to their belief, and then are successful in defending it. Alternately, they may discover that their belief is in error, and only a fool desires to hold false beliefs. Therefore, when your beliefs are challenged, you either rid yourself of a false belief, or else your beliefs are strengthened."

"Hence my initial observation on the irrationality of referring to Iuz as 'the Old One', due to some mistaken belief that speaking his name will attract his notice"

He pauses for moment.

" . . . see? No extraplanar incursion. It takes more than the uttering of a name to cause such a happening."

Another_Poet
2007-12-07, 09:40 AM
Tell

Tell smiles as his friend talks. It is not a mocking smile, but not without humour. He keeps his eyes peeled for an inn or hostel--a nicer one, with real beds, that will earn less complaining from the others.

ZeroNumerous
2007-12-07, 12:30 PM
The dwarf waits for the exact moment where Megiddo holds to see if anything bad suddenly happened to him..

..And then rears back his left foot and promptly kicks the human in the ass.

"Oui, lokkit there. Ye've done and gotten a boot in the arse. Thats why we call'em Ole Stinkeye rather than use 'is name."

Tarinth
2007-12-07, 12:36 PM
Disguise (1d20+1=9) (http://invisiblecastle.com/find.py?id=1412021)
Well, Kajiki didn't reallt intend to disguise himself, rather just to cover up his most glaring attributes. Anyway, when they enter an inn he'll drop the attempt and try to sit with the PC's if they stay at the bar or something. He is still afraid of being run out of town, and at this point, the other PC's have no reason to help him.

Entertainer13
2007-12-07, 03:18 PM
Lor sighs heavily.

There are spells that one may place on words of power. I am currently in the employ of those combatting a dark god. Perhaps next time I'll ask your permission for being careful.

Shhalahr Windrider
2007-12-07, 06:17 PM
Most of the buildings in this area appear to be residences and other private buildings. Continuing down the street, you approach a bridge, near which are the first few sights of note in this village, though, regrettably, none of them are inns.

One is a building with several large trees and an extensive amount of cultivated vegetation outside. The door is marked with the Unicorn of Ehlonna.

Across the street is a building with large windows to better let the sunlight in. Predictably, it is marked with Pelor's symbol.

A final church resides near Pelor's temple. This otherwise simple building manages to catch the eye on account of a tall tower on the north side. It is marked with the starburst cross of Saint Cuthbert.

Near Cuthbert's Temple is a building with a sign that reads "Old Trading Post." Under that message are two more messages written in tongues other than common—one in dwarven runes. (( Those who can read Halfling or Gnome realize the message is the same in all languages. ))

Two women stand outside the Temple to Elohnna, engaged in conversation.

(( You have progressed to the section of town near the buildings marked 1, 2, 3, and 6 on the map. ))

Another_Poet
2007-12-07, 07:44 PM
Tell

Without excusing himself, Tell breaks off from the others and heads toward the Temple of Ehlonna. If he encounters any clergy of Ehlonna (or if either of the two women outside are clergy) he will salute in whatever fashion is traditional for this sect, bowing or fully prostrating if need be. If the women are not clergy he will simply nod his head to them as he goes past to go inside.

Inside, assuming he is not set upon by dire cattle or some such, he donates the last four gold pieces to his name (so that he is completely penniless), and spends a moment before the altar or shrine.

If a service is in progress, he simply makes the offering and stands at the back for a moment with his head bowed.

Shhalahr Windrider
2007-12-07, 09:36 PM
The lady in the green clerical robes notices Tell's approach. She politely halts the conversation to offer a greeting.

"Welcome, guest, to the House of Ehlonna. How may I be of service?"

Another_Poet
2007-12-08, 04:17 AM
Tell

Tell salutes or bows as is appropriate. "Paying my respects." He nods toward the entrance. "May I?"

Entertainer13
2007-12-08, 10:42 AM
Thank you all for helping, Lor says, But I must be on my way.

Lor heads to the nearest tavern, as that would have the most information, and gathers information. [roll0]

Tarinth
2007-12-08, 12:14 PM
I guess Kajiki will try to stay with the remainder of the group as they go through town.

ZeroNumerous
2007-12-08, 05:37 PM
Orthus follows the Heironous follower. Primarily because he's got little patience for anyone else in the group, and that druid who owed him a meal disappeared. "Oui! Lass. What's a follower o' the Honorable doin' 'round parts like these?"

Skjaldbakka
2007-12-08, 08:47 PM
Megiddo

With elven grace, Megiddo nimbly sidesteps the dwarf's foot.

"Ah, violence. A predictable tool of those who fail to grasp the finer points of a debate. I see that we have entered the village proper. I see no reason that we should not part ways."

With that, Megiddo heads to the temple of Ehlonna, and waits outside for Tell to finish paying his respects.

((I am assuming this is a normal routine of his, that Megiddo would be familiar with from traveling with him))

Shhalahr Windrider
2007-12-08, 09:58 PM
"One is always welcome to pay his respects to the Lady of the Forest," she replies while standing aside for you to enter. "I am Jennithar Rhengold, and I tend this humble shrine. We will have a sunset service today. You are, of course, welcome to attend if interested. Meanwhile, if there is anything you need, just ask." As she introduces herself, Tell notices the subtle indications of partial elven heritage in both the priest and her companion.

The middle of a village is a strange place for a temple to Ehlonna, even a village as green as Hommlet. It seems those who built it compensated by bringing a bit of the forest indoors. There are plants growing everywhere. The floor elegantly disappears in many places, giving rise to rich earth where small trees grow. In the main chambers, over a small altar, the ceiling does likewise in order to allow for open air services. The overall effect makes one easily forget any part of the temple is technically indoors.

Tell goes on to place his coins in a small collection plate and says a silent prayer.
[hr](( And does Lor know where the nearest Tavern is? :smallwink: No matter. Even if she asks one of the villagers, they'll tell her just to continue down the road across the bridge and to keep looking to the right. Which means it's easy enough to find. ))

The Inn of the Welcome Wench is the primary establishment for both rooming and drinking in Hommlet. The owner's clearly thrived during the population explosion that followed the final fall of the Temple of Elemental Evil given the several noticeable expansions made to the building.

It seems most of the folks who haven't yet returned home for the day have been sidetracked, staying at the tavern instead. Though why they would remain with such horrible singing coming from the small stage at one end of the tavern is anyone's guess. Whatever the secret of the Inn's success, it is not their selection of performers.

As Lor begins asking around for a man of Xaod's description, the barkeep, a half-elven woman whose skin is as pale as her hair is dark, takes notice.

"Well, I know a Xaod, but I'd bet my ass he's not who yer lookin' for. Ain't know way that thing's a paladin," she says pointing to a thoroughly inebriated human male with a large red beard in the corner.

But before Lor can do anything, the barkeep quickly says, "Wait! Y'ain't lookin' fer trouble, are ya?" eyeing the heavy armor on both the knight and dwarf.

Tarinth
2007-12-08, 11:39 PM
Kajiki will follow Orthus to the temple since it seems like this group is more promising than Lor as possible companions. We will see what the clerics say. If they challenge me, I will suggest that they have a trained cleric test my soul aka Detect Alignment.

Edit: Ok, then I will follow Tell and Megiddo.

ZeroNumerous
2007-12-09, 01:39 AM
((Just to clarify, Orthus(the dwarf) went with Lor and didn't go to any temple..))

"Trouble? Nah miss, that thar depends on me friend's reasons fer lookin' fer this 'ere 'ume.. Which, by the by, I've not been made privy to.."

Another_Poet
2007-12-09, 02:38 AM
Tell

Once Tell is done with his offerings he comes back outside. Only afterward does he wish to speak with Mother Rhengold. Heading outside, he gives a nod to Megiddo and approaches the priestess once again.

"Protectress," he begins, "Do you have a moment?"

((I am assuming Mother Protectress is an appropriate title for a priestess. If not, let me know; Tell would use whatever is most appropriate and not patronise her.))

Entertainer13
2007-12-09, 12:30 PM
Lor smirks.

Dear Lady, it is my sad duty to tell you that most likely yes, that man is indeed a Paladin. One badly in need of my aid it seems.

She looks to her companion.

If time permits, my friend, I shall tell you what little I know. Xaod has always walked a line with his vows, it seems but you will note, nothing in the code says "Thou shalt not drink."

Lor goes over to Xaod and introduces herself.

"I am Lor Stillford, sir. Are you the one called the Slayer?"

((Tarinth, Lor has no problems with a kobold companion, and if he aided her, would likely gain an ally. He loses!! :smalltongue: ))

Shhalahr Windrider
2007-12-09, 02:05 PM
Tell returns outside as the cleric's companion is departing and Protectress Rhengold is turning back in.

"Why, yes. What do you need?"
[hr]As Lor approaches the man to which the barkeep pointed, she can see that despite the extra quarter-pound or so of facial hair and the previously noted state of inebriation that the man does regrettably appear to match the description Sir Dalsin gave her.

He pays Lor no mind right up until she addresses him, at which point he responds, "Am I the Sshlayer? Depends who'sh sayin' it I guess. I ain't be the only one t'be called that, and that'sh the truth." He pauses, but before Lor or Orthus can respond, he raises a finger and adds, "I never lie, you know. That's me. Alwaysh truthful."

Entertainer13
2007-12-09, 05:13 PM
Very well, then. I am here on the behest of the Church of Heironius. All of the Paladin order are in need. The Old One's forces move against the Church, and you are of the few they could not find.

Lor sits down at his table and motions for Orthus to sit down as well.

If I may ask, what seems to ail you? It would take much for a Paladin to give in to drink.

Another_Poet
2007-12-09, 05:24 PM
Tell

"I'm looking for Jaroo Ashstaff."

Shhalahr Windrider
2007-12-09, 05:37 PM
Xaod seems dismayed by news of the summons,"They need me? Now? Sho soon?"

Continuing, he mutters half to himself, "Damnable. My businessh here's not done."
[hr]Smiling, Jennithar responds, "Ah. Well, I cannot vouch for his present location, but he tends the grove south of town. Just past the leatherworker's shop, which you'll find if you just follow this road across the bridge and then veer off just a bit to the left towards the keep on the hill. If Jaroo's not around, Yundi should be."

Another_Poet
2007-12-09, 06:13 PM
Tell

"Who is Yundi?"

Shhalahr Windrider
2007-12-09, 06:22 PM
"Jaroo's assistant."

Another_Poet
2007-12-09, 06:26 PM
Tell

"Thank you, Protectress." He salutes as he did before. As he turns to walk away, he glances back and asks, "By the way, are they involved much in your temple here?"

Shhalahr Windrider
2007-12-09, 07:13 PM
She surpresses a small chuckle at the question, "Oh, no. Jaroo's too devoted to the Old Faith to really branch out. He tends to his business in the grove, and I tend to mine at the temple."

(( Greyhawk Note: The Old Faith refers to Flan druidic traditions centered particularly upon Beory and Obad-Hai. Obad-Hai and Ehlonna tend not to get along very well as Obad-Hai stresses the primal forces of untouched nature and Ehlonna is more friendly to to civilization. In many cases, the rivalry can get downright hostile. So a hard-line follower of the Old Faith isn't likely to get involved with followers of Ehlonna and vice versa.

Further Fun Fact: The Old Faith is also the root of first and second editions druidic heirarchies. ))

Entertainer13
2007-12-09, 08:43 PM
What is your business? Is it pressing?

Shhalahr Windrider
2007-12-09, 09:09 PM
"I don't think Heironeoush would send a loyal follower a dream of fire and death if it weren't presshing."

Before Lor or Orthus can press for further information, the barkeep comes over and says, "Okay, Xaod. You've had enough. If ya want any more, yer gonna hafta get it at Terrigan's."

"They never let me stay here long, an' that'sh the truth, too."

Tarinth
2007-12-09, 09:37 PM
Kajiki isn't up for a venture out of town, so he tries to find the nearest tavern (probably the one that Lor, Orthus, and Xaod are departing from, and gather information on the old temple ruins location. Gather info (1d20+1=13) (http://invisiblecastle.com/find.py?id=1416223) Of course, there may be some modifiers based on my unique status, but I'm sure it's general knowledge.

Entertainer13
2007-12-09, 09:53 PM
If there's something so pressing about this vision, why do you not do something about it? Let's leave this place and talk this over in the fresh air.

Shhalahr Windrider
2007-12-09, 10:08 PM
"Eh, they don't wan' me here, anyway."

On the way out, the trio runs into Kajiki. Apparently, despite his condition, Xaod's eyes are still sharp enough to make out the unusually-shaped head under the hoods. Probably the wings, too, since he has to ask, "Oh! What're you? 'N' what business you have here?"

Tarinth
2007-12-09, 10:19 PM
Kajiki politely takes his hood down. I am only a traveler in need of a good drink and some information sir. Your friend Lor can vouch that I mean no harm here. He looks hopefuly to the knight.

ZeroNumerous
2007-12-09, 10:24 PM
Orthus

Orthus stops the paladin before he gets too focused on the kobold. ".. Oui.. Great.. Ah, friend, listen to me car'fully. Ye. Ain't. A. Dwarf. Ye need to drink less and ye smell like a distillery."

Another_Poet
2007-12-09, 10:34 PM
Tell

Tell thanks the priestess and watches in amusement as the kobold darts away. He walks over to Megiddo and looks at him expectantly. "Hungry?"

((Thanks for the info on the deities.))

Shhalahr Windrider
2007-12-09, 10:35 PM
Xaod doesn't pay much mind to Orthus's comment, simply responding to the kobold, "Hmmm... Fair enough." But before moving out of the doorway to let Kajiki in, he looks at the dwarf and human and asks, "One of you Lor? 'E says I got a friend Lor, but I don' think I know a Lor."

Entertainer13
2007-12-09, 10:57 PM
Remeber, I introduced myself earlier. Lor Stillford. I am a Knight in the service of your church. And yes, the kobold means no harm.

Lor looks around, hoping not to draw too much attention.

Listen all, let us not argue. Let us walk around a bit and converse. And perhaps you can answer my question - why do you drink, as opposed to combating this apparent evil.

Skjaldbakka
2007-12-10, 12:09 AM
Megiddo

"I wouldn't turn down a good meal. Shall we make our way to the tavern then? We can discuss our plans over dinner."

Shhalahr Windrider
2007-12-10, 08:04 AM
"You did? Oh.

"So you're Lor. According to him, that means you're my friend. That's nice of you.

"All right! Time to be on our way!"

Before leaving, Xaod bends over to speak to the kobold. "I'd be careful in there. They kicked me out."

Another_Poet
2007-12-10, 09:31 AM
Tell

Tell nods, and heads off with Megiddo to look for an inn. He doesn't ask anyone for directions, but pays close attention to the myriad footprints in the dusty road. He grins as he tries to sort out the dwarf's feet among dozens of others.

[roll0]

Shhalahr Windrider
2007-12-10, 06:54 PM
Naturally, there are many tracks on the main road through the village. Although the small crowd of people near a building on a road branching right from the main one indicates a likely tavern, Tell spots a dwarven footprint continuing down the main street.

Following the road across the bridge, Tell and Megiddo eventually come in sight of an establishment with a sign reading, "Inn of the Welcome Wench."

They also notice Lor, Orthus, and a third, unknown man departing from that establishment.

Another_Poet
2007-12-11, 09:20 AM
Tell

Tell walks toward the Welcome Wench, skirting around the people in front. He makes to go inside without speaking to any of them.

Tarinth
2007-12-11, 02:08 PM
So Boss, does my gather info ckeck of 13 from post 75 get anywhere?

Skjaldbakka
2007-12-11, 11:05 PM
Megiddo

The gray elf enters the tavern without sparing the other group a second glance, and finds a table to sit at.

Tarinth
2007-12-11, 11:34 PM
Kajiki makes a spot ckeck to notice the elegant elf and upon noticing him asks May i join you friend? BTW, his cloak is removed so he doesn't look like some ner do well, althuogh he's still all koboldy. ((Yeah, koboldy, I like that word.))

See Spot Spot, Spot Spot Spot (1d20+9=28) (http://invisiblecastle.com/find.py?id=1421295)

Skjaldbakka
2007-12-11, 11:37 PM
Megiddo

"Certainly. It may even be prudent to do so, as the townsfolk may be somewhat less open-minded that I."

With that, he steps into the tavern.

((I don't think a spot check was really necessary there))

Another_Poet
2007-12-11, 11:43 PM
Tell

With the kobold in tow, Tell joins Megiddo at the table. He looks around the room, not resting his gaze on any one person.

((Tell assumes that since Megiddo has money, he will treat Tell. If the hunting was better today, the gift would go the other way. I say this OOC because I would imagine Megiddo knows how Tell operates by now. Obviously, you can say no if you want. :smallwink: ))

Tarinth
2007-12-11, 11:44 PM
Yeah, I know it wasn't needed, but it was a pretty sweet check, tee hee. I just wanted to roll some virtual dice. Anyway, Kajiki proceeds to make small talk when seated with Tell and Megiddo.

So, I don't mean to pry, but you and your friends seems to have the close bonds that come with battle and travel. What brings such capable people to this area?

Another_Poet
2007-12-12, 12:02 AM
Tell

Tell is silent at first, but when Megiddo doesn't answer he gives their new companion a serious look. With two fingers he gestures for the kobold to lean in to hear him. He pauses for a few seconds then whispers:

"Our feet."

As he sits back he shows the kobold a sly grin, as if he made a great joke.

Skjaldbakka
2007-12-12, 12:07 AM
Megiddo

The elf grins at Tell's wit, and then rises to his feet. He walks over to the bar.

"A meal and some ale for me and my friends, good sir. I would like to rent one of your rooms as well, if any are available."

Tarinth
2007-12-12, 12:10 AM
Kijiki grins.((I walked straight into that one))Very well, if you cannot discuss it, I understand. Anyway, if your private venture allows you some extra time, I am very interested in the old ruins about this area. There may be valuable trinkets still hidden away in secret rooms yet unfound. I think I can get into just about any underground complex, but there may be wandering creatures there that I cannot handle myself. I think you are the best qualified people I have seen here. If you are interested in such things, I will be trying to locate the ruins within the next few days here.

Another_Poet
2007-12-12, 12:13 AM
Tell

"Stay awhile," says Tell. "How far did you come to see these ruins?"

((Dunno if it's wit per se, but thanks for playing along. I couldn't pass up the opportunity.))

Tarinth
2007-12-12, 12:16 AM
Kajiki seems somewhat uncomfortable at this question in an embarrassed way.Well, I have been traveling for alomost three weeks now. It has been a hard road, but I am very clever he says as he raises his head with a little bit of pride.

Another_Poet
2007-12-12, 12:23 AM
Tell

Tell nods his head as the kobold speaks. "I believe you," he says.

Skjaldbakka
2007-12-12, 12:32 AM
((I'm going to assume I pay the standard cost for a room and meals for three, and then return the table, in the interest of RP, since three of us seem to be online))

After paying for room and board, Megiddo returns with three tankards of ale, and sets them down on the table.

"Food should be arriving shortly. You say that you are skilled in navigating underground areas? Are you as skilled with traps and other such hazards as your people are reknowned to be?"

Tarinth
2007-12-12, 12:34 AM
As this is the first thing approaching a compliment that Kajiki has ever recieved from a non-kobold, he cannot suppress a small satisfied smile. Not knowing how to respond, he pauses, then continues tryng to get something out of Tell. So, where have your feet taken you from?
Assuming Megiddo only got food for the two for you, Kajiki proceeds to take some trail food out of his pack and eat dinner.
Edit: Much suprised by Megiddos kindnessThank you! It has been so long since I enjoyed real food. He hastily stows his trail junk.And yes, in fact I specialize in such things as caverns, traps, and the like.

Skjaldbakka
2007-12-12, 12:36 AM
Megiddo

"Excellent. We could use someone with skills in that area. Are you familiar with the Temple of Elemental Evil?"

Tarinth
2007-12-12, 12:43 AM
Only vaguely. My teacher knew of it, and soemtimes told of it's ancient history, but i really don't know much except that it was ransacked years ago. When I...um...left, I thought I would go find it.

((Well, the UWL campus computer labs close at midnight. Post more at ya tommorrow.))

Another_Poet
2007-12-12, 12:46 AM
Tell

"Teacher?"

Tarinth
2007-12-12, 12:48 AM
Yes, my mentor was K'jesh, the grand master trapsmith of our colony. He taught me everything I know.

Another_Poet
2007-12-12, 12:49 AM
Tell

Tell nods, clearly listening though his eyes drift over the room from time to time.

Skjaldbakka
2007-12-12, 01:07 AM
Megiddo

"To make a long story short, a few years ago, there was a great evil here, and a group of adventurers came along and cleaned the place out. I am here to make sure they did the job right, and that there are no remaining rifts or tears in the fabric of the material plane. Tell and I have been traveling together for a while, and so he accompanied me."

Entertainer13
2007-12-12, 01:50 AM
So, um, I asked him a question... will he answer?

Another_Poet
2007-12-12, 09:39 AM
So, um, I asked him a question... will he answer?

((If you haven't been checking the OOC thread, Shhalahr said his attention might be spotty this week due to real life concerns. He should be back by Friday. Meanwhile I'm guessing the NPC's aren't going to be too chatty.))

Entertainer13
2007-12-12, 01:32 PM
((If you haven't been checking the OOC thread, Shhalahr said his attention might be spotty this week due to real life concerns. He should be back by Friday. Meanwhile I'm guessing the NPC's aren't going to be too chatty.))

((I'm giving him a heads up because I don't think he noticed I asked the qestion. I KNOW he's busy. I am his brother. :smallbiggrin: ))

Tarinth
2007-12-12, 02:55 PM
To Megiddo I know very little of planar things, but I have lived most of my life underground and can help to navigate the old structure and open closed paths. Perhaps our interests have more common ground than we thought.

((Yeah we're a big happy family. I am the Entertainer's and Shhalahr's cousin.))

Skjaldbakka
2007-12-12, 11:21 PM
Megiddo

"It is probably for the best. The care and feeding of the metaphysical balance of the universe has not contributed much to my social standing. It would be a harder road to walk for one of your kind, who bears the weight of society's biases and prejudices."

Tarinth
2007-12-13, 02:24 PM
Yes, each road has it's own perils and I am sure we have all overcome adversity. I am quite content with earthly matters for now and often it is quite enough to deal with. Kajiki finally seems at ease for the first time since you first met him on the road, yet he still keeps a wary eye on the door and marks every person that enters. After a few more bites of food he asks So, is your dwarven friend...Orthus I believe, going to be joining your expedition to the temple? He seems quite interested in Lor's dealings with that Slayer man.

Another_Poet
2007-12-13, 02:40 PM
Tell

Tell shrugs.

Tarinth
2007-12-13, 02:52 PM
Well, a couple more people would be better in case of trouble, don't you think. At least he seems like an open minded fellow, as are the rest of you. I did not relish the idea of going to investigate the temple alone though it would have been a good test of my skills. Still, I don't suspect there will be that many denizens still prowling about the old temple.((LOL))
Kajiki continues eating happily.

Shhalahr Windrider
2007-12-14, 01:01 PM
Xaod is either easily distracted or he is making a point of not discussing his quest directly.

Once outside of the Inn of the Welcome Wench, he starts going down the road towards the bridge. He seems strangely quiet at first. But as you near the bridge, he asks, "So you say the Knights shent ya? Ya got a letter to prove it?"

(( Though I didn't mention it in Lor's proglogue: Yes, the Knights of the Hart did give Lor a letter so Xaod would know she's an official representative. ))

[hr]Meals at the Inn of the Welcome Wench are actually a bit on the pricey side, but the quality of the food makes it worth it. Tonight, they are serving boiled crawfish with drawn butter (( 4 sp )), stuffed pork chops (( 5 sp )), and venison steak (( 7 sp )), all of which are served with bread, honey, potatoes, and assorted vegetables. For those with lighter appetites, simple meals of fruit and cheese (( 2 sp )), boiled eggs (( 2 sp )), oatmeal (( 1 sp )), or peppered bread (( 8 cp )) are available.

The Inn also has a whole host of drinks from ranging simple beer (( 2 cp )) to elegant Ulek Elixir (( 5 gp )).

The Inn offers two-room suites at the modest price of 3 gp per night. A key to keep the room locked up can be rented for an additional 1 gp per night. You can also stay in a common room for 5 sp per night.

As you order your meals, you are pleased to notice that a woman convinces the inept singer to have his meal along with the rest of the people that are now dining.

Another_Poet
2007-12-14, 01:52 PM
Tell

((If and only if Megiddo seemed to be asking for more than one room, Tell called over to him:))

"I'll sleep outside tonight."

Entertainer13
2007-12-14, 04:14 PM
((Sorry, I just didn't want to keep making the same post. I asked twice, and while I know he was likely ignoring me, you know how creative I am. :smallyuk: ))

Lor produces the letter.

This is of some importance. Do you know anywhere private we can talk?

Shhalahr Windrider
2007-12-14, 07:17 PM
Xaod takes his time reading over the letter. After a minute or so, he says, "Hm... Yeah. Looksh like yer for real."

He continues, with a surprising level of lucidity given his condition, "Ifs you want to talk about thish, best I not be so soushed. Wanna meet here a little 'fore mid-morning tomorrow?"

Skjaldbakka
2007-12-15, 09:38 PM
Megiddo

"My friend prefers to sleep outdoors. I, on the other hand, appreciate the opportunity to spend the night indoors. If you would like, you can have Tell's room."

Megiddo tosses the kobold a key to the room.

(OOC)Call it 7 gold for the suite, a key for each room, and dinner, and the change is a tip. (/OOC)

Tarinth
2007-12-16, 02:19 PM
I most certainly would. Thank you again. Perhaps tommorrow I could repay your kindness and help you gather information on the temples whereabouts and such or whatever you have in mind?

Skjaldbakka
2007-12-17, 10:01 AM
Megiddo

"Very well then. We shall begin in the morning." With that, Megiddo excuses himself from the table, and heads up to his room to meditate on the events of the day.

Another_Poet
2007-12-17, 10:18 AM
Tell

Tell stays for a while, continuing to work on his ale. He only sips it every now and then, taking a long time to drain the beverage.

He has, however, completely devoured his food--and even cleaned the bowl/plate with his finger, licking off the last of the good stuff.

Tarinth
2007-12-17, 04:24 PM
Kajiki will excuse himself a little later and go up to his room and get some shut eye if nothing disturbes him, using his backpack as a pillow out of simple habit and a little healthy paranoia.

Another_Poet
2007-12-17, 04:53 PM
Tell

Tell sits about a half hour after the others leave. When his ale is at last finished, he stands and heads out into the cool night air ((assuming it is dark out)).

He walks about the town, strolling down a few streets he hasn't seen yet, and meanders for another forty minutes at least.

Once he is finished stretching his legs he heads toward the Temple of Ehlonna.

Unless something waylays him during his stroll, he will look around the front yard of the temple for a nice place to sleep--somewhere not soggy, not rocky, and not infested with too many bugs. And, of course, somewhere with a few shrubs upwind of it. He doesn't want to shiver all night, nor does he particularly want to be disturbed.

ap

Entertainer13
2007-12-18, 08:03 PM
((I hit a reply a number of days ago. WTH? When Shlar poked me, I thought I had soething new to respond to. I hate finals.))

Sounds good.

Turns to her new friend.

Do you want to split or room, or do you have anthing else to do?

Another_Poet
2007-12-18, 08:20 PM
Tell

Seeing no one and feeling reasonably tucked out of sight, Tell wraps his heavy wool blanket about him. His chain lies coiled at his side, and his buckler is hanging on a low tree branch. His few belongings he organises above his head and then, hatchet in hand, he fall asleep.

ZeroNumerous
2007-12-18, 09:10 PM
Orthus

"Oui, I'm free lass. I feel safe 'nuff with a follower 'o' tha Invincible to split a room wit ya."

Shhalahr Windrider
2007-12-18, 10:42 PM
"Very well then. I will meet you here tomorrow.

"On to Terrigan'sh!"

With that, the wayward paladin crosses the bridge and heads off a side road.

(( Anything else anyone needs to take care of before I get to "The next day..."? ))
[hr]As the sun rises, Tell is woken by someone gently shaking him. As vision slowly returns, he makes out the face of Protectress Rhengold.

"You know, if you were hard up for some boarding, you could have requested assistance."

Meanwhile, our other protagonists awake in their own time in the comfort of their rooms at the Inn of the Welcome Wench.

Tarinth
2007-12-20, 05:59 PM
Kajiki wakes up Megiddo from a distance by repeatedly calling his name so he isn't startled by the unusual event of being woken up by with a kobold in his face. After he wakes up So, do we have an agenda for the day?

Entertainer13
2007-12-21, 08:42 PM
Well, I'm off for an early breakfast. You may join me with Xaod, if you wish, friend.

ZeroNumerous
2007-12-22, 09:52 PM
Orthus

"Oui. Missus, I think I'll join ye."

The dwarf follows the paladin closely. He whispers, if Xaod comes with them. Otherwise he speaks freely.

"Now, do ye really believe tha' drunkard is a paladin? Or important? Or anything other tha'a drunk?"

Another_Poet
2007-12-22, 10:55 PM
Tell

Tell sits up slowly, still groggy and in no hurry to get going. He looks up at the priestess and smiles slightly.

"I did," he says. "And my mother provided."

ap

Skjaldbakka
2007-12-24, 11:53 AM
Megiddo

"First, breakfast, and some information gathering. Then we meet up with Tell and head for the temple ruins, unless something comes up that merits more immediate attention."

OOC: Oops, got my names crossed. :smallfrown:

Tarinth
2007-12-25, 11:46 PM
Ok, sounds good. ((This question just feels silly.))

Shhalahr Windrider
2007-12-26, 08:01 AM
Protectress Rhengold sighs and comments, "Well, at least you had the sense to pick a place where Cannoness Y'dey wouldn't see you. Or any other Cuthbertine for that matter."

Another_Poet
2007-12-26, 10:04 AM
Tell

((Tell would like to find an edible plant in the shrubs and gardens around him, but not one that most people know is edible. Thistle root, tamarack tips, something like that.))

[roll0]

Tell stretches his whole body, reaching for a nearby plant but not wanting to get up and walk over to it. He plucks it rom the ground and begins chomping on its leaves. As he does so, he looks up at the priestess again.

"Problems with Cuthbert?"

Shhalahr Windrider
2007-12-26, 10:12 AM
The cleric chuckles, "They'd reprimand you for vagrancy. Believe me, it's always best to stay on a Cuthbertine's good side if possible. 'Specially when they live next door and got most of the town in their pockets." She nods in the direction of the St. Cuthbert temple.

Another_Poet
2007-12-26, 11:49 AM
Tel

Tell nods. "In the wild, when a creature gets fat it becomes easy prey." He offers a sprig of fresh green leaves to the priestess. "Hungry?"

Shhalahr Windrider
2007-12-26, 10:05 PM
The Protrectress raises an eyebrow at the comment but just briefly responds, "No, thanks. Already ate." She then offers a hand to help Tell off the ground.

Another_Poet
2007-12-26, 10:12 PM
Tell

Tell accepts her hand and climbs to his feet. Once standing, he bows respectfully to the priestess. He also takes the opportunity to reach up and grab some choicer leaves off of a high branch over his head.

"Would you mind terribly much if I do my meditation practice here?"

Entertainer13
2007-12-27, 02:19 AM
Xaod has the name, fits the description, knows what I'm talking about and seems indignant enough. Drunk or no, he seems to be the man I was sent to find. Archpaladin willing, his drunkenness is merely deceptive of true honor.

She sighs.

If I'm wrong, well, I shall thank you for your company.

ZeroNumerous
2007-12-28, 01:49 AM
"If yir wrong missus, then we've both just wasted our time and patience on a drunk. Ye'd think a dwarf would be used to that, but it still stings after the three-hunner'd drunkard ye've had to throw out'o town."

Tarinth
2007-12-28, 10:46 AM
Unless something interupts our breakfast, I asume we can spot Tell accross the street on the temple grounds. I'll let Megiddo call out to him since he knows both the plan and Tell better than I.

Shhalahr Windrider
2007-12-28, 12:14 PM
"Out here in the front yard?" The protectress asks. "The sanctuary might provide better surroundings for that sort of activity."

[hr]
(( In the interests of keeping things synchronized, I wish to point out Tell was woken several hours before mid-morning. So although I'm willing to get right to the meeting with Xaod, it's not happening along with the above conversation.

And Tarinth: the Inn (#4 on the map (http://s12.divshare.com/files/2007/12/06/3025733/hommlet.jpg)) is down the street and across the river from the Temple (#1 on the map (http://s12.divshare.com/files/2007/12/06/3025733/hommlet.jpg)). ))

[hr]
When mid-morning arrives, Lor and Orthus approach the bridge. Xaod is already there. He doesn't appear to notice either one coming. From the looks of things, he's either deep in thought or nursing a bad hangover.

Another_Poet
2007-12-28, 01:06 PM
Tell

((Thanks for the clarification. I kind of figured Tell would be woken earlier than the others would get up.))

"Thank you, Protectress. I'll come inside soon." Tell slowly goes about the process of gathering up his belongings. He shakes his blanket out and feels it in several places to see how damp it has become from the dew. He hangs it in an out-of-the-way place, perhaps on the temple fence or the branch of a small tree.

Then he gathers his other things, checking his shield over for damage and making sure his chain doesn't need oiling. For now, he leaves his war-coat (i.e. armour) with his blanket.

Once he is sure the protectress has gone inside, he strolls leisurely to the yard of the Temple of St. Cuthbert next door. His intention is to hide in a bush, shrub, or hedge without being noticed by anyone.

Taking 20 on Hide: 23

He scoops a small hole in the ground under the shrub and does his morning business. "May this offering go back to the elements and fertilise this sacred land," he prays silently.

When he is done he fills in the hole, rubs pine needles between his hands and heads back to the Temple of Ehlonna. He picks up his armour, leaves his blanket, and heads inside for his morning meditation.

((Sorry guys, given the priestess' feelings toward her neighbour I couldn't resist.))

Skjaldbakka
2007-12-28, 04:28 PM
Megiddo will wait at the inn, expecting Tell to show up eventually.

Another_Poet
2007-12-28, 09:08 PM
Tell

((In order to move along, I am going to assume the following things:
1) No one saw me pooping.
2) The temple is nice, quiet, and I can meditate and prepare spells.
3) The priestess is nice to me and I continue to make an, er, impression on her.
4) I get out of the temple unmolested, and my blanket is where I left it.))

When Tell is done with his meditation practice he thanks the protectress and heads outside. He checks his blanket and rolls it up, satisfied with its dryness. He strolls through town, picking whatever edible plants he spies and popping them in his mouth.

When he reaches the inn he walks over to Megiddo and Kajiki. Without a word, he squats down against a wall in the shade. He remains there, waiting to see what happens next.

Tarinth
2007-12-30, 12:33 AM
So, we're all here. To the temple ruins then? Kajiki looks at Megiddo hopefully.

Entertainer13
2007-12-30, 04:14 PM
"Xaod, thank you for meeting with us."

Skjaldbakka
2007-12-30, 04:32 PM
Megiddo

"I have finished my meal. I trust that Tell has taken care of himself by now, so let us go and find him." Megiddo walks out and looks around, his glance quickly resting on Tell, who is leaning against the wall outside the tavern. "Ah, and there he is. Are you ready to head out, Tell?"

Another_Poet
2007-12-30, 05:25 PM
Tell

Tell looks up and nods.

"Do you want to go see your temple first, and find Ashstaff after?"

Skjaldbakka
2007-12-30, 05:36 PM
Megiddo

"Ah, in my desire to explore the ruins, I forgot about Ashstaff. By all means, let us try to find him first, as the exploration of the temple may take some significant amount of time."

Another_Poet
2007-12-30, 07:01 PM
Tell

Tell shrugs. "Sure, whichever you prefer."

Tell stands and lifts his war-chain, draping it over his shoulders. He starts off in the direction of Jaroo's house, according to the directions he received yesterday.

Shhalahr Windrider
2007-12-31, 09:43 AM
(( Did Kajiki want to actually get around to actualizing that Gather Info while Tell is visiting Jaroo? ))

[hr]

Tell follows the Protectress's directions, passing off the road behind the leatherworker's shop across from the Inn of the Welcome Wench. Not far beyond it, he finds a small stand of large trees set off from the surrounding woods (( Area #26 on the map (http://s12.divshare.com/files/2007/12/06/3025733/hommlet.jpg) )).

As he enter's the grove, Tell notices a young blond man apparently examining the trunk of one of the trees.

It is evident the youth hears Tell's approach, for he turns to face Tell and says, "Oh! A Visitor. Uh, welcome. May I help you?"

(( Does tell have anything on him that would mark him as a fellow druid? ))

[hr]

Xaod startles and faces Lor.

"Oh! Yes. Uh, Lor and Orthus, right? Thank you for showing up." He speaks in a somewhat pained voice. Evidentally, he is suffering a bit from his activities of the previous night. "Your message, Lady, does put me in quite the bind, you know."

ZeroNumerous
2007-12-31, 10:33 AM
Orthus

"Now tell me.. Was this 'fore or 'fter ye started drinkin'? The bindin', I mean. 'Cause seems tah me that ye've always been in a bind."

Shhalahr Windrider
2007-12-31, 11:19 AM
Xaod looks at the dwarf quizzically. "Huh?"

Another_Poet
2007-12-31, 11:42 AM
Tell

((Tell hopefully doesn't have anything identifying him as a druid, though from the look of him he's clearly some sort of outdoorsman.

Also, he will make a spot check to see what the boy was looking at on the tree:

[roll0] ))

"I certainly hope so," Tell says as he sits down on the forest floor. He plucks and edible plant from the soil and pops it in his mouth. "I'm here on behalf of Protectress Rhengold of the Temple of Ehlonna, who greatly needs your help."

Idly, Tell begins doodling in the soil in front of him.

Tarinth
2007-12-31, 12:08 PM
Shhalahr, I guess Kajiki stopped thinkig about gather info when he realized his two new compatriots had contacts ready to go. I guess Kajiki will try to tag along with Megiddo for now.

Skjaldbakka
2007-12-31, 01:22 PM
Megiddo

Megiddo waits a respectful distance away from Tell while he speaks with the druid.

Entertainer13
2008-01-01, 12:14 PM
Orthus, not now, please. You may berate him afterwards all you like, but I need information right now. Xaod, please continue.

ZeroNumerous
2008-01-01, 12:44 PM
Orthus

"Feh. I'll wait then."

Shhalahr Windrider
2008-01-01, 11:30 PM
The blond man replies, "Odd. We generally try to stay out of each others' way. What sort of aid does the Protectress require?"

Behind the man, Tell can just make out a growth of some sort just above the tree's root. This is odd because the trees of a Sacred Grove are usually the healthiest there can be. This generally holds for the Groves of any nature deity.

[hr]
Having taken the moment during Lor's slight reprimand to realize the entirety of the implication in Orthus's statement angrily rejoins, "Yeah. If y'came just to insult what I do with my free time, I don't need to talk with you. I've no quarrel with you, but if you want otherwise, I'd be more than happy to oblige." He clenches and unclenches his fists in obvious agitation.

ZeroNumerous
2008-01-01, 11:37 PM
Orthus

"Oh? Ye've decided to join us in the present then? Tha lass has questions, and we can talk 'fter ye've given the poor girl what she wants."

Another_Poet
2008-01-02, 12:36 AM
Tell

"Generally, yes," says Tell, continuing to doodle. "But an injured druid wandered into town last night, and he is in bad shape. The Temple took him in and needs help right away."

In the dirt, Tell has drawn what would appear to be a stylised turtle, nothing more. However, a careful look at the turtle's shell reveals that letters of the Druidic alphabet are mixed into the sketch. They read: "I am him."

Shhalahr Windrider
2008-01-02, 09:32 PM
Noticing Tell's scrawling the bearded youth replies, "Well, then, what particular injury is troubling you?"

[hr]
Egged on by the dwarf, Xaod seems about ready to blow. "I'll give you one last warning, friend, and no more. I'm more than ready to meet you here in present—past or future even!"

ZeroNumerous
2008-01-02, 10:01 PM
Orthus

The dwarf just grins, otherwise he says nothing else.

Another_Poet
2008-01-02, 11:35 PM
Tell

Tell grins. "The worst injury of all: a lack of knowledge." He continues doodling, but now without any hidden writing. "My friend has an interest in the famous temple near here, and I have an interest in nature. We heard that Master Ashstaff is the person to talk to about both subjects."

Entertainer13
2008-01-03, 12:45 AM
Lor stands between the two.

"Xaod! We are both agents of the Archpalidan. If you have information from him, perhaps I can help. I will not allow the two of you to come to blows at this point. I have a mission from the clerics of your Church, Xaod, but if Heironius has other matters at hand, we must know and adhere."

Shhalahr Windrider
2008-01-03, 08:58 AM
"Hm." The boy frowns. "Well... you would be correct in that assessment, but I am afraid that Master Ashstaff may be somewhat... um, uh..." he takes a moment as if searching for the right word, "indisposed right now."

[hr]
Once again only latching onto the first thing he heard and missing the main point, Xaod complains, "Really? Both of you serve Heironeous? He's behaving more like a Cuthbert knight, laying into others just 'cause they know how to have a good time. And the letter you gave me said nothing 'bout him. Only you Lady Lor. Is he affiliated at all with the Knights of the Hart?"

Another_Poet
2008-01-03, 09:20 AM
Tell

[roll0] to see what to boy is hiding
[roll1] what I know about growths on sacred trees.

"Perhaps we can help."

Shhalahr Windrider
2008-01-03, 10:18 AM
Though clearly nervous, the young man appears to be honest.

The growth appears to be associated with a simple disease. Between the sacred auras associated with groves of the Old Faith and the expert care given by the druids that tend them, such disease is extremely rare. When a tree in a Sacred Grove gets sick, it usually indicates something wrong in the area and can be taken as a bad omen.

The youth nervously continues, "I'm not sure about that. It is really not my place to pry into these things—I'm just an apprentice—and the Master has chosen to keep secret whatever it is that is... uh... troubling him."

ZeroNumerous
2008-01-03, 02:15 PM
Orthus

"I'm not a follower of the Cudgel! And in case you haven't noticed, I've done nothing but state the obvious. It was your choice to take offense or not. Now, I'm not interested in fightin' a follower o' the Invincible, but this 'ere lass has things she needs from ya. If you refuse to talk until this business has been finished, then I'm willing to fight ya with our fists."

Another_Poet
2008-01-03, 05:07 PM
Tell

Tell stops drawing, nodding sympathetically. He takes a moment to respond.

"It pains me to see a fellow druid having troubles. Can you tell me where he is, so I can see if he would accept my assistance?"

Entertainer13
2008-01-03, 09:43 PM
I never said he was affiliated. And I never said you had to speak in front of him. You, sire, are being very rude and unbecoming of your station. I personally have no issue with the occasional imbibment of drink, but one must realize some may look down on a Paladin - one of the Archpalidin himself! - who tends to get knocked off his rocker.

Lor stares into his face.

Stop being defensive. If you wish not to speak in front of Friend Orthus, say so. I am certain he will be more than happy to do so. However, you have two options right now, Sir Xaod, as befits your station and rank. You either return with me now, so as to begin combat with the Old One, or you inform me the call of our Lord and Commander... By the Archpaladin, work with me! I'm here to help!

Shhalahr Windrider
2008-01-03, 10:46 PM
The boy opens his mouth to respond, but is interrupted.

"Yundi, who do we have here?"

From off to Tell's left, an aged man leaning heavily on a gnarled staff enters the grove. He has thin grey hair that hangs just below his shoulders, a skin tone that is just barely too dark to pass for Suloise, and deep, dark eyes that appear to go on forever.

The youth makes a startled reply, "The, uh, guests just arrived, Master." He bows his head, "We have not yet had the chance to make introductions."

The old man frowns. "Hm. Very well. Are you done seeing to the oak?"

"No, Master."

"Get back to it, then."

As the boy returns to the tree with the growth, the old man turns to face Tell. As he speaks, his gaze drifts past Tell to acknowledge Megiddo and Kajiki's presence. "I am Jaroo Ashstaff, keeper of this Sacred Grove. Who are you and what business do you have?"

[hr]
Xaod begins shouting. "No! You never said he was affiliated! No one said he was affiliated! But I'd like to know!"

He points at Orthus while continuing the rant, "And, aye, yer here to help, but near as I can tell, he's only here to criticize! It's all he's done since I seen 'im! (And please don't you join in it now!) It shows how serious I am when I ain't clocked him one already! An' I don't think I can hold back much more if he don't get goin'!"

A number of passers by are begining to stare at the scene. Still others show up, wanting to know what the racket's about.

Entertainer13
2008-01-03, 10:52 PM
Lor becomes silent and doesn't say anything for a moment.

"I'm leaving tomorrow at dawn from the inn where we met. It's your decision if I am to report you ignoring the call of your temple, or if you are to act civil...

She looks at Orthus harshly.

...and tell me your problem. The barkeep can tell you where my room is. I have no time for arguments in the street.

Lor turns to leave.

Shhalahr Windrider
2008-01-03, 11:05 PM
Before Lor can take three steps, Xaod calls out in a more calm voice, "Duty to the Archpaladin comes before Duty to the People. Even that Cuthbertine dolt Sir Dalsin knows that. It's bit him in the ass often enough."

ZeroNumerous
2008-01-03, 11:14 PM
Orthus

"Now that is the most disagreeable thing ye've said all day. Archpaladin or no, no one man is above the defenseless and downtrodden. But fine, if the lass wants me to play nice, I play nice. Deal, drunkard?" The dwarf extends a stubby arm and stubby hand toward Xaod.

Another_Poet
2008-01-04, 02:25 AM
Tell

Tell introduces himself and his companions, standing up but making no other show of ceremony. He repeats his explanation of why he and Megiddo (respectively) have come.

Shhalahr Windrider
2008-01-04, 11:35 AM
Jaroo coughs before gruffly replying, "Well, I already have an apprentice. So if that's the way ye seek to conduct your studies, then ye're out of luck.

"And your friend is definitely out of luck, too. The Temple's destroyed. Most ye'll find is a bunch of collapsed tunnels and maybe a few squatters. Same goes for the moathouse."

[hr]
Xaod pointedly ignores the dwarf. After a moment he adds, "If," he places intense emphasis on that first word, "I don't show up Sir Dalsin will understand why. He won't like it. But he'll understand.

"As it is, I haven't even made up my own mind yet."

Another_Poet
2008-01-04, 12:00 PM
Tell

Tell looks up at the leaves of the sacred trees. He brushes a biting fly off of his neck. "Apprentice isn't really my thing either. But I had hoped to meet a real master. Did I come to the wrong place?"

Shhalahr Windrider
2008-01-04, 12:16 PM
"If you're gonna denigrate my skills and knowledge, then perhaps you did." The old man points behind Tell. "You can leave the same way you came in."

Yundi raises his head upon hearing the dismissal, as if shocked or surprised. Unfortunately, all anyone can see is the back of his head and cannot verify this by the expression on his face. Less than a second later, however, he gets right back to tending the tree.

Another_Poet
2008-01-04, 12:41 PM
Tell

Tell does not budge.

"A Master is a master of teaching. He does not hoard or hide his knowledge.
"A Master is a master of a great heart. He does not leave his guests go hungry.
"A Master is a master easy and gentle. His wisdom is precious, but not withheld."

"

ZeroNumerous
2008-01-04, 03:55 PM
Orthus

"Feh. I knew we were wastin' our time with this one lass. Threatenin' innocents, ignoring authority, boy like that's well on his way to bein' unsaveable. I vote we let him be and go tell your Archpaladin 'bout his actions 'ere today. Bet ole Dalsin would love to know 'bout bein' ignored.

Maybe we could get some exploring done 'round this place. I haven't been around this side of the Mithral Hall in quite some time.."

Entertainer13
2008-01-05, 02:32 AM
"Friend dwarf, you did goad him.

Besides, I have been given a mission; a duty. I must see it through. If Xaod is involved, that's my burden as of now. I will be in my room most of the day. I hope to meet you for perhaps lunchtime meal at least. Eating alone is not something I'm used to."

ZeroNumerous
2008-01-05, 03:19 AM
Orthus

"Don't the Invincible teach the concept of honor? To defend one's believes is admirable, but to do so with violence is not. After all, using military force to back-up yur beliefs isn't far from forcing those same beliefs on others.

But I digress.. Are you interested in some sight-seein' lass? Maybe I need to find me a nice brewery 'round these parts. Beratin' drunkards is thirsty work."

The dwarf makes his statement with a wide grin on his face, obviously not serious about it. He turns to leave Xaod on his bridge to brood. After all, Orthus was done talking to a man who isn't willing to listen.

Shhalahr Windrider
2008-01-05, 12:30 PM
Finally breaking his silent treatment of the dwarf, Xaod loudly declares, "Not only berating, but baiting! Agreeing to meet with me to discuss matters of grave importance then doing nothing but denigrating my honor. You know nothing of the word! Gods know how teetotaling is more important than defending the Flannaes from the likes of the Old One or that damnable Temple!"

He raises his fist as if to strike at Orthus but suddenly stops. "For once it isn't worth it. A wretched worm like you can be no true threat to my honor." He looks over the dwarf towards Lor, stating with barely restrained passion, "Lady Lor. As you are an official messenger, you should know how to better treat recipients of your messages. I trust I may have merely got off on the wrong foot with you. I shall continue to extend my good faith and am willing to discuss any details of the threats to this world with you at a later point in time—maybe even today, but without the presence of this honorless dog. Barring that, I shall simply act as I best I can in accordance with my Duty to the Archpaladin and my Oaths to the Knights of the Hart, however they may seemingly contradict each other in grave times such as these."

If you need me," at this he turns and starts marching away before proclaiming over his shoulder, "I'll be at Terrigan's!"

[hr]
Jaroo gruffly responds to the mantra, "And a Student knows it is not his place to question his Master's authority," but rather than leaving it at such a cold assertion of power, he goes on to speak of trust. "For if the Student has no faith in his Master, there is no trust in the Master's credibility, and the student has wrongly submitted himself and can learn nothing from the Master. 'Twould be a waste of time on both the parts of the Student and Master."

Jaroo lowers his hand, turns, and begins to exit the grove thw way he came.

Another_Poet
2008-01-05, 12:43 PM
Tell

Tell follows him.

"I don't think that's the reason you won't speak with me."

ZeroNumerous
2008-01-05, 02:57 PM
Orthus

"Finally decided to mention something other than your besmirched honor?!" The dwarf throws up his right hand, seemingly discarding the paladin and turning around. He begins walking toward the inn. His accent grows thicker as he's obviously shaken by the mention of Iuz. "Tha foo' has no idea wha' 'e's doin'. It be aboot time ah returned to the inn anyway. Paladins o' the Invincible actin' like they kin say ho's right and ho's wrong. It's just disrespectful to true believers o' Heironous. Ah've got things to do girrel. Ah might see ye aboot, ah might not. Watch yeself." Orthus heads back to the Temple and prays to Zagyg. The dwarf asks for guidance from his Mad Master.

Praying and preparing spells for the day. (It is 'bout noon, right?)

Shhalahr Windrider
2008-01-05, 04:35 PM
Not even turning his head to Tell, Jaroo responds, "Oh? And why do you think I won't speak to you?"

On this side of the grove, there is a small lodge.

[hr]
(( Actually, you met Xaod at mid-morning. Probably the equivalent of 9:30 am or so. The whole exchange above couldn't have taken more than a minute or so. So you got a couple of hours. ))

(( Oh, and I guess there was some sort of confusion over the issue... ))

Now that the shouting's done, Orthus suddenly remembers that "The Archpaladin" is one of Heironeous's official titles, not any sort of rank. "Duty to the Archpaladin" would then refer to the importance of following the precepts of Heironeous. Not quite sure what the bit about "Duty to the People" was, though. (( Knowledge (religion) (1d20+11=16) (http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/1452473/) ))

ZeroNumerous
2008-01-05, 06:01 PM
Orthus will just wait until noon, spending his time reading and praying.

Another_Poet
2008-01-06, 01:56 PM
Tell

"Looks like there's trouble on the way." He nods his head toward the wounded oak, even though the old druid is looking the other way.

Shhalahr Windrider
2008-01-06, 10:45 PM
The old druid stops and looks at Tell. Following his gaze to the sick tree, Jaroo says, "Yep. Bad wind's blowing."

After giving the cryptic comment a moment to sink in, he takes the next few steps to cross to his lodge.

Entertainer13
2008-01-07, 01:08 AM
Lor will meet Xaod after lunch.

Another_Poet
2008-01-07, 11:13 AM
Tell

Tell continues to follow the old man. "So let us help."

Shhalahr Windrider
2008-01-07, 05:16 PM
Jaroo's hand halts in mid-reach for the door handle. "In that case, I'll let you know when the trouble's been identified and help is required. As things go, that'll likely be just before the storm hits. Nothing to be done before then." For once the old man actually pauses as if waiting for a response.

Another_Poet
2008-01-07, 07:58 PM
Tell

For not the first time today, Tell grins. "Well," he offers, "Maybe you are a Master." He drops the plant that he was eating to the ground, and continues. "I don't think I can talk my friend over there out of looking into these temple ruins. Anything we should know if we go poking around?"

Shhalahr Windrider
2008-01-07, 10:51 PM
"My advice is don't. It's a waste of time. And possibly dangerous. Unstable ground at both places. Don't want to be crushed or drowned, do you?"

Another_Poet
2008-01-07, 10:53 PM
Tell

"Both places?" Tell raises an eyebrow.

Shhalahr Windrider
2008-01-07, 11:49 PM
"Huh?" A strange expression passes over Jaroo's face for a moment. But the moment is too quick to register just what kind of expression it was. "Oh. Most folks who show up here do so because they also want to explore the advance garrison of the Temple. But they wind up just as disappointed in that as they are the Temple."

He opens the door.

"Now, if you'll excuse me, I have a bad wind to measure."

Another_Poet
2008-01-08, 12:19 AM
Tell

Tell nods his head in gratitude and reverence. ((I assume that the door slams shut before I can say anything out loud.))

He heads back to the grove and his awaiting companions, smiling and giving a wave to Yundi. When he reaches Megiddo and Kajiki on the path, he speaks to the kobold first:

"Looks like it's your lucky day. Caves, right?" And without waiting for an answer he says to Megiddo, "Did you know there are two of these things?"

Skjaldbakka
2008-01-08, 08:50 AM
Megiddo

"Two temples? No, I was not aware that there were two temples. I was in fact fairly certain there was just one. What do you know about this second temple?"

Another_Poet
2008-01-08, 09:29 AM
Tell

"There's the main temple, and then there's the forward garrison. Ever heard of a temple with a forward garrison before? Ground's caving in at both places."

Tarinth
2008-01-10, 03:13 PM
Kajiki follows. Well I never knew of a second temple. Sounds like there's plenty of work for us to do. But i thought the entire place was abandoned. What's all this about a "forward garrison"? Perhaps we will need more help if we are to encounter armed resistance?

Another_Poet
2008-01-10, 03:49 PM
Tell

"I get the sense the garrison's abandoned, too." Tell chews on his lower lip for a moment. "You want to ask around more in town or go see for ourselves?"

Tarinth
2008-01-10, 09:30 PM
I always prefer to see things for myself, but being prepared is a good way to keep from being killed by what I see.

Shhalahr Windrider
2008-01-15, 08:17 AM
(( So you guys gonn ask around? Have another, actual go at "Gather Information"? Remember, you can aid each other... ))

(( In the meantime, we'll jump forward a bit for the Xaod plotline, though if you make a Gather Info check it will probably start a bit before then... ))

Terrigan's is located in a small, somewhat dilapitated building. As Lor approaches, she hears quite a bit of noise from those who took off for a drink during the noontime meal.

Upon entering, she finds that the noise was deceptive. Who new so few could be so loud? There are just a few small groups of burly men all caught up in some boast, joke, or other tale. Though likely on break from their daily chores for a meal, none appear to have anything of actual sustenance before them, instead only holding mugs of ale.

The sparse crowd makes it easy to pick Xaod out in the far corner of the broken-down taproom. He obviously noticed Lor's entranceas he signals her to his table.

Another_Poet
2008-01-15, 09:17 AM
Tell

Tell has no particular desire to seek information or extra companions to the Temple, but will follow along out of curiosity if Megiddo goes. For now he just waits silently to see what the others do.

Entertainer13
2008-01-15, 08:14 PM
Lor ignores the rowdy crowd, though she does keep her distance, as she sits with Xaod.

"Sir Xaod, thank you for seeing me again. My dwarven traveling companion is no longer with me, so perhaps we can get some business done.

Shhalahr Windrider
2008-01-15, 08:28 PM
"Indeed. Want some ale? I'll pay.

"Don't worry," he adds, indicating his own mug, which has already been emptied by a third, "My first for the day. I can hold back when I need to."

Entertainer13
2008-01-16, 01:24 AM
"Something light, if you will."

Shhalahr Windrider
2008-01-16, 09:08 AM
"Good, good. 'Tender! Some ale for my friend!"

After shouting his order, Xaod hushes his voice. "So the Old One is causing trouble? I suppose it's too much to hope that you have any actual details?"

Tarinth
2008-01-16, 12:07 PM
Well, Kajiki is hardly going to try to lead the group into action at this point in our relationship and waits for Megiddo to decide.

Entertainer13
2008-01-20, 02:31 PM
Being merely a warrior in the Archpalidan's service, and not one of his holy chosen, I am not privy to details. All I know is that the Old One is attempting a major strike that requires the presence of all Paladin's, by the reckoning of your superiors.

Shhalahr Windrider
2008-01-21, 08:05 AM
"Thought so. They wouldn't have told you much even if you were part of the order. 'Specially if a Cuthbertine like Sir Dalsin gave you your instructions."

Skjaldbakka
2008-01-22, 12:47 AM

"I suppose it would not hinder our efforts to seek information from the local townsfolk as well."

Megiddo begins to walk back to the village, and will start asking questions about the ruins.

Gather Information: [roll0] EDIT- +1 (19)

OOC: Sorry about the wait, but I had no computer access at all last week.

Shhalahr Windrider
2008-01-22, 08:03 AM
(( Anyone aiding (http://www.systemreferencedocuments.org/35/sovelior_sage/skills.html#aid-another)? ))

Entertainer13
2008-01-22, 09:59 AM
So, what's the story then? Visions of murder and mayhem, something like that?

Shhalahr Windrider
2008-01-22, 10:08 AM
Xaod holds up a finger in a signal for silence as a server arrives with Lor's ale. Once the server is gone, he adds, "Add a lot of fire—enough to burn the entirety of the Flannaes—and you've got the picture. It was a dream from Heironeous. And in the dream, the fire originated at the Temple."

Another_Poet
2008-01-22, 10:14 AM
Tell

((Yes, Tell will Aid Another to the best of his ability.))

[roll0]

Entertainer13
2008-01-23, 11:07 AM
"Another rising? Excuse my skepticism, but how do you know it's directly from Heironius? It could be a distraction from the followers of the Old One."

Tarinth
2008-01-23, 11:41 AM
I will aid if the townsfolk seem responsive to a kobold.

Gather Info (1d20+1=6) (http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/1470421/)

So much for aiding. I guess the townsfolk don't like kobolds.

Shhalahr Windrider
2008-01-23, 02:31 PM
(( Guess they don't... So, total result 20... ))

Tell, Kajiki, and Megiddo return to the Inn of the Welcome Wench to tap the gossip mill to find out more about the forward garrison Jaroo mentioned. They wait a little while until folks start turning up for lunch. One of the first folks they ask is an old-timer (( Every Tavern needs an old-timer with plenty of information. :smallwink: )).

"Forward garrison? Oh! You mean the moathouse! By Cuthbert, you really aren't from around here, are ya? Everyone knows about the moathouse. Little less than a day's walk east of here. Road's still serviceable, too, I think. Not much goin' on there now. Those bandits that ran the place were good and smashed. Cannoness Y'dey could tell you about that.

"Since then, treasure hunters've picked it clean. No real reason to go there."

A younger, dark-haired man that had entered the Inn a few minutes after the old-timer interrupts, "I'll say! I wish someone told me that last week. The place is just a crumbling ruin." He approaches the table at which the group and old man are sitting.
[hr]Xaod frowns at Lor's question. He takes a swig of ale before responding, "Well, uh, it's just one of those things ya know. Right here." He places his free hand over his heart. "Anyway, even if it were just a distraction, it should still be investigated. I know what's on the line. Wouldn't abandon the defense of Veluna if it weren't important. 'Sides, I was on furlough."

The paladin takes another gulp before adding, "Problem is all that was there were a buncha hobgoblins. Certainly not enough to cause the destruction there, and certainly not followers of Iuz."

Skjaldbakka
2008-01-24, 12:29 AM
"Well, then it appears it will be a short visit. Shall we be going then? I'm sure Tell wouldn't mind spending the night in the outdoors."

Shhalahr Windrider
2008-01-24, 08:19 AM
The younger man says, "Wait, wait wait. You're still going? I tell ya, there's nothing there. It's just gonna be a waste of your time."

Another_Poet
2008-01-24, 12:32 PM
Tell

As the boy saunters up to the table, Tell picks up an empty tankard and looks at him.

"You really think so?" he asks. He holds out the tankard with his left hand, just below the boy's chest height. "Tell me, what do you see in this mug?"

Shhalahr Windrider
2008-01-24, 02:26 PM
He gives Tell a quizzical look for a moment. With half a shrug, he takes the mug and examines the contents. He even gives it a cursory sniff before responding, "Dregs of some of the cheaper ale available at this establishment." He points at the old-timer as he adds, "Looks like he lost a beard hair in it while drinking, too."

He roughly hands the tankard back to the druid, "Your turn. Just what is I'm supposed to see?"

Another_Poet
2008-01-24, 03:44 PM
As the boy was peering into the mug, Tell silently slipped his hand-axe off his belt with his right hand. He raised it behind the boy's back and poised it, blunt-side-down, just above the boy's craned head.

[roll0]

As the lad looks up to ask what he was supposed to see, he bumps his own noggin on the hatchet.

Shhalahr Windrider
2008-01-24, 08:36 PM
(( Sleight of Hand (http://www.systemreferencedocuments.org/35/sovelior_sage/skillsAll.html#sleight-of-hand) is Trained Only. ))

Another_Poet
2008-01-24, 09:24 PM
((Okay then, I guess I'll just do it as sneakily as a person can do untrained. Bluff can be used untrained, so I'll roll to see how well my distraction with the mug went, I guess...., *gulp* ))

[roll0]

Skjaldbakka
2008-01-24, 11:32 PM
"If there is nothing there, than why should you care whether we stay or go? Or do you like meddling in the affairs of wizards? I've heard that they are subtle and quick to anger"

His stern expression is betrayed by a sparkle in his eyes and the traces of a suppressed smirk.

Entertainer13
2008-01-25, 07:32 PM
"Perhaps I should investigate it, Xaod."

Tarinth
2008-01-27, 10:39 AM
Kajiki ignores the two locals and begins making preparations to leave when he has a brain-wave. Speaking towards Tell and Megiddo Hmm, if the place is in ruins, some digging may be in order, but all of the mining eqipment back home was communitymproperty. I should pick some basics up before we leave. I'll be back in a bit.

Kajiki will go to the local blacksmith and procure a pick, hammer, chisel, etc. i only have 13gp. Shhalahr, If you would be so good as to give me a price that would be good. Thanks

Shhalahr Windrider
2008-01-27, 08:35 PM
Neatly dodging the axe, the young man says, "What was that about?"
[hr]"I would certainly be grateful for any aid..."

The paladin grabs his chin and scratches his beard in thought, "Hm... Maybe this dream and the Old One's current movements are linked? I swore by the Invincible to protect these lands from Iuz. He wouldn't send me on a mission that would conflict with a standing oath..."
[hr]Kajiki isn't sure where the blacksmith is, but he does remember seeing a building marked, "Old Trading Post" next to the Temple to St. Cuthbert. (( Building 6 on the map (http://s12.divshare.com/files/2007/12/06/3025733/hommlet.jpg). ))

Another_Poet
2008-01-27, 09:18 PM
Tell

Tell smiles. "You're a quick one. We could use a guide if you want to come with us."

Shhalahr Windrider
2008-01-27, 10:27 PM
"Well, if I were to guide you, it would be my official opinion that the moathouse is a waste of time, especially for a busy wizard." He eyes Meggido as he mentions "a busy wizard." "Now, I haven't actually seen the Temple proper yet myself, but I was hoping to get there eventually. If you were interested in checking that out, we could save ourselves a lot of grief and go there straightaway."

Tarinth
2008-01-27, 11:26 PM
Kajiki tells the young man, then the othersI think we would like to see it with our well trained eyes before giving up on it. I'll be getting some last minute supplies. Be back in a bit. Kajiki quietly leaves unless otherwise detained by someone speaking to him.

Entertainer13
2008-01-28, 01:40 AM
My mission was to bring you back. I have nothing else planned. Perhaps I could join you as well, but I would like to hear more about your interpretation of the dream.

Shhalahr Windrider
2008-01-28, 08:38 AM
"Please! Don't insult me! My eyes are plenty well trained for that kind of work! It's how I get by, after all.

"But if you insist on wasting your time, I can be your guide. But if this should be that day the Whispered One reveals all his secrets, mighty Kord fails to lift a pebble, and all other manner of impossible things happen such that we actually find something worthwhile, I'm gonna need my fair share.

"The question is, do you insist on wasting your time, or do you wish to be sensible and work on more fruitful endeavors?"
[hr]The paladin frowns. "Well, I had the dream several months ago, so the memory of it has faded, as happens with dreams. I'm sure I only remember it at all because it was a prophecy. I can't give you precise details.

"The land was on fire. People were running and screaming, being chased and slain by foul creatures who were not afraid of the fire. I could see all this as if I were a hawk. And, like a hawk, I flew over the countryside. More and more of the same. Eventually I came to that blasted Temple. From the ruins were spouting the flames that ravaged the land. And from it, the abominations were emerging.

"Clearly, there is a great Evil afoot, and it has to do with that Temple. Aside from the fire and the location, I have no hint as to the nature of that Evil. I know the hobgoblins don't fit the bill. Though they're in the right location, they certainly can't support the fire. And from what I observed, they don't have the ambition to do so, anyway."

With that, Xaod takes another gulp of ale, finishing the mug.

Another_Poet
2008-01-28, 11:15 AM
Tell

Tell eyes Megiddo, as if waiting for a decision.

Entertainer13
2008-01-28, 01:41 PM
Obviously you believe this comes from the Archpaladin, which is good enough by you, I assume. Suppose there is evil afoot. Not being one of the holy followers, I would not be able to receive these visions, I would think. Therefore, assuming these are true visions, it would be heresy to follow the word of some cleric over the Invincible.

I will leave it up to you. Even if it is merely hobgoblins, the innocent must be protected. If you return and do battle with the Old One, I give you my word as a knight and follower of the Archpalidan that I will investigate any and all possible uprisings at the den of evil called a temple. If you wish to stay, I give you my word once more that I will accompany you and ensure your safe return, so that I may complete my task as well.

The decision is yours, Sir Xaod.

Shhalahr Windrider
2008-01-28, 02:34 PM
The paladin scratches his beard, "Well, I would like to verify wether Iuz is making a play for the Temple. A move like that would not be beyond him. And then I can bring any reinforcements I can convince.

"Only problem is the Cuthbertines and Raoans don't understand Duty to the Archpaladin. It'll be trouble if I can't convince them..."

He pauses in thought for a moment.

"Bah! I need to go! Whatever the dream means, I'm not doing anything sitting 'round here waiting. And the Archpaladin wouldn't send conflicting orders.

"Tell ya what—The Temple's to the north, that means it's on the way back to Veluna. If you think we should do something about the hobgoblins, we can do so on my way. Otherwise, I'm heading straight back and stopping the Old One before he can even get near the Temple!"

As Xaod was growing excited, his last few statements were loud enough to attract a few eyes. Noticing this, the paladin slams his hand on the table and reprimands them, "Well, ya don't need to stare!"

Tarinth
2008-01-28, 03:05 PM
At the man's harsh reaction, Kajiki imediately backs up, expecting a fist. His hand darts to his wand as usual and he tries to diffuse the situation. I meant no offense, but I have lived my life surrounded by earthen workings. I think I should look myself. Kajiki looks to Tell and Megiddo.

Skjaldbakka
2008-01-29, 12:40 AM
Megiddo

"I prefer to see things with my own eyes. If you think it a waste of time, then no one has asked you to come with us." He turns to Tell. "Shall we be going then?"

He stands and heads for the door.

Another_Poet
2008-01-29, 10:58 AM
((Skjald - actually Tell asked him to come with us.))

Shhalahr Windrider
2008-01-29, 09:38 PM
"Ah, but I was invited along," says the dark-haired man, gesturing towards Tell. "In any case, if I'm not wasting my time there, I'll be wasting my time here. So might as well go, eh?

"In any case it takes the better part of a day to get to the moathouse, and our day's half-gone already. It would be more prudent to wait until tomorrow morning, I'd think."

Skjaldbakka
2008-01-29, 10:07 PM
Megiddo

"Ah, but then our good friend would have to endure another night in the confines of this village. I have had my night of comfort in a warm bed, and I feel it only fair to return the favor and allow him his comfort in the wild."

Shhalahr Windrider
2008-01-29, 10:15 PM
"Well, if your friend insists on camping out, the forest isn't that far away. As it is, it's most definitely safer indoors.

Skjaldbakka
2008-01-29, 10:23 PM
"We had not trouble on the way here. But if you insist, we can wait until the morning."