PDA

View Full Version : Optimization Items that work against larger foes

noce
2023-01-26, 05:53 AM
I'm currently tinkering with a whisper gnome build, alternating Totemist and Swordsage to get meldshaper lvl 14 and initiator level 13, relying on unarmed strike iteratives plus girallon claws. It looks fun and balanced, but I found it hard to pick magic items that work with this build.

I just noticed Gauntlets of Giantfelling in MIC, which give you bonus damage against larger cratures, but are quite crappy since it's 1 attack per activation, so even Brute Gauntlets would be better.

Is there any other magic item that gives you bonuses based on creature size?
Side question, are there any gnome-specific magic items?

Biggus
2023-01-26, 09:55 AM
I just noticed Gauntlets of Giantfelling in MIC, which give you bonus damage against larger cratures, but are quite crappy since it's 1 attack per activation, so even Brute Gauntlets would be better.

Is there any other magic item that gives you bonuses based on creature size?

There's the spell Fell the Greatest Foe (SpC p.90, assassin 2, cleric 3, paladin 2, ranger 2) which is very similar to the Gauntlets of Giantfelling but lasts 1 round per level, if there's anyone in your group who can cast it you could get them a wand or pearl of power. Unlike the Gauntlets it's a standard action to cast though, so you'd need to have warning that combat is imminent.

Side question, are there any gnome-specific magic items?

There's the Hooked Hammer of the Hearthfire (MIC p.52) and Gem of the Glitterdepth (MIC p.104), both relics.

Anthrowhale
2023-01-26, 03:19 PM
There's the spell Fell the Greatest Foe (SpC p.90, assassin 2, cleric 3, paladin 2, ranger 2)...

I was going to mention this. Fell the Greatest Foe + Greater Mighty Wallop typically makes it so Small is an optimal size.