PDA

View Full Version : Snow Day in the Playground

bugsysservant
2007-12-03, 08:06 AM
Oof, Just got back from school. I had to go in early for driver's ed. and at 6:40 in the morning, despite 500 school closings around us, I found myself trudging along poorly plowed sidewalks for the 1.4ish miles to school. In the school parking lot a car pulled alongside me and I was told that school had been closed, so I had to turn around and walk back. Idiot superintendent.

Anyway, anyone else out there get out from school? And, if so, what do you intend to do with your day?

hyperfreak497
2007-12-03, 08:45 AM
Oh yeah. The best part is, the roads are entirely clear, so there's nothing keeping me from going wherever I want.

Not sure why we got a snow day...

Arang
2007-12-03, 09:20 AM
So how much snow are we talking about here? I've been shoveling for the last two days, but it looks like it's clearing up.

Sornas
2007-12-03, 09:20 AM
We DON'T have one up here on campus. Despite almost every other school in the state closing. <.<;

I'm gonna skip my first two classes at least anyway, so nyah. ;P

The Bushranger
2007-12-03, 09:25 AM
Snow?

*checks thermometer*

Doesn't snow at 70°F...

Ceska
2007-12-03, 09:28 AM
We don't get snow days. We can excuse ourselves when it really is that bad, but generally you have to go no matter how much snow there is. Though, to be fair the official means of getting rid of snow are very good in Austria and snow never keeps on the ground for a day.

Besides, it doesn't snow all that much, I guess it's around half a metre to metre at best most of the time. Although last year we got quite a lot once. At christmas.

topher
2007-12-03, 09:56 AM
Snow?

*checks thermometer*

Doesn't snow at 70°F...

You just had to rub it in didn't you? :smallfurious::smallsmile:

We haven't had too much snow yet, but I'm confident it’s coming. So far what snow we’ve had has been melted by rain during the day. Not that it matters, I don’t get snow days off from work.:smallmad:

Thes Hunter
2007-12-03, 11:31 AM
Last year my campus closed for the day because of snow.

However the medical school NEVER closes. No matter what. I had a test that day in pharmacology class. So I couldn't just skip.

So as I am trudging my way across the unploughed campus, one of the security officers pulls up and informs me that school is closed. I had to tell her that the medical campus was not, and our professor was giving an exam. She wanted me to rat the professor out. So she could get that professor in trouble.

I was cold and annoyed enough that I almost did, but the guy was just following a policy that was set even above him. So me and my classmates just stood around shuffling our feet and didn't say anything.

So yeah buggyservent, it sucks. And at least I got a ride part way across campus on my ride there and got to warm up during my exam before heading home. :smallwink:

Sornas
2007-12-03, 11:56 AM
Yay ^_^ All classes after noon have been canceled! ^_^

Cyrano
2007-12-03, 12:00 PM
Snow day! That means the project I was supposed to do today, is not actually late! 2 more days to do it (because I don't have that period tomorrow)!

Supagoof
2007-12-03, 12:09 PM
Enjoy the snow days. Soon your world of classes and homework will end, and you'll end up having to come into work like the rest of us! Mwuhahaha....:smalltongue:

Misery loves company. :smallwink:

Ceska
2007-12-03, 12:15 PM
Snow day! That means the project I was supposed to do today, is not actually late! 2 more days to do it (because I don't have that period tomorrow)!
A dollar he'll not do it before the morning in two days and still be late in the end. :smallamused:

We all know how procrastination works.

Green Bean
2007-12-03, 12:29 PM
Man, I love snow days. Of course, where I lived in Canada, the conditions usually have to be fairly...extreme for one to be called. And of course, it didn't help that the guy who makes the call lives in the city, and probably drives to work on a carefully ploughed and salted road, while the school buses out in the small towns drive on a coating of ice literally half an inch thick.

Then I moved to London, England. Man, that was awesome. Less than an inch of snow, literally gone by 2 o'clock, and the whole city shut down. I had a test that day, too. :smallcool:

Cristo Meyers
2007-12-03, 12:36 PM
Man, I love snow days. Of course, where I lived in Canada, the conditions usually have to be fairly...extreme for one to be called. And of course, it didn't help that the guy who makes the call lives in the city, and probably drives to work on a carefully ploughed and salted road, while the school buses out in the small towns drive on a coating of ice literally half an inch thick.

Chicago's the same way, it seems. Every meteorologist in the city was saying "We're gonna get hit something fierce" the day before and the day of, it was snowing rather heavily when I left that morning for work, by noon you couldn't see out the windows (of my 6th floor habitrail...I mean cubicle), still didn't say "get out of here" until 2 that afternoon. Gotta love corporate beurocracy...

Revenge came though, I laughed as my 4 wheel drive Jeep got me home in record time as everyone else was stuck in their parking spots digging out their cars.

Since gotten rid of the Jeep, but that memory keeps me warm...

Cyrano
2007-12-03, 12:42 PM
A dollar he'll not do it before the morning in two days and still be late in the end. :smallamused:

We all know how procrastination works.

Hey, I STILL haven't done a project due last wednsday, because I promised myself I'd do it on the 4 day weekend. It's a 5 day weekend now, kiddies.

13_CBS
2007-12-03, 12:50 PM
Remember folks! In warmer cities, an inch of snow means lots of closed stores (and thus one less day's income for a family) and injuries from crashing cars.

REALITY HAMMER

hyperfreak497
2007-12-03, 01:49 PM
Remember folks! In warmer cities, an inch of snow means lots of closed stores (and thus one less day's income for a family) and injuries from crashing cars.

But in colder cities (such as the ones most of us live in), it's an expected part of the year that is actually the meal ticket for some families.

REALITY NAILGUN

Emrylon
2007-12-03, 01:55 PM
I don't see us gettin a snow day here anytime soon..it's raining too much.

Had a Snow day last year I only went home because the bus I go on goes through my village to an even more remote village that does get stuck in snow, I'm fine here but i can't get home any other way so...:smallbiggrin:

Hakola
2007-12-03, 03:05 PM
We don't get snowdays in Sweden.:smallfrown:

Granted, these days we hardly get any snow either, but I remember about 10 years ago when I went to school and we were expected to attend even though it was -25 C (about -15 F) and the snow had been falling the whole previous night.

(And we didn't have any fancy shoes either, nosiree. We wore year old leaves instead and we were happy with it, and we had to go uphill all the way, BOTH ways.:smalltongue: )

bugsysservant
2007-12-03, 03:23 PM
We don't get snowdays in Sweden.:smallfrown:

Granted, these days we hardly get any snow either, but I remember about 10 years ago when I went to school and we were expected to attend even though it was -25 C (about -15 F) and the snow had been falling the whole previous night.

Wow, that's pretty much the minimum temperature we get here in Vermont except in really extreme times. It can get colder, on the coldest nights, but not much. I'm not sure, but they'ld probably call school at that point.

Yeah, so far I've shoveled, slept and read Wuthering Heights for English. Gah, I still don't understand why, if they had to give us a book by a Bronte, it couldn't be Jane Eyre. :smallannoyed:

DraPrime
2007-12-03, 03:29 PM
I almost got a snow day today, but thanks to my craptastic superintendent school only started 2 hours late. My town's superintendent is renowned for his inability to ever pick a good snow day. He'll either give us one when it doesn't snow, or not give us one while there's a huge blizzard going on. It wouldn't matter if we were about to be hit by a category 5 hurricane, my town's schools would still be open.

bugsysservant
2007-12-03, 03:43 PM
I almost got a snow day today, but thanks to my craptastic superintendent school only started 2 hours late. My town's superintendent is renowned for his inability to ever pick a good snow day. He'll either give us one when it doesn't snow, or not give us one while there's a huge blizzard going on. It wouldn't matter if we were about to be hit by a category 5 hurricane, my town's schools would still be open.

Yeah there's not much worse than a delay. Oh boy, I get to shovel for an hour, then go to school! From the looks of it, my superintendent will suck too (he's new) but I think part of the problem is that he's gotten a swelled head since we were rated the fifth best public high school in the nation (http://www.usnews.com/articles/education/high-schools/2007/11/29/gold-medal-schools.html) (We're number 5! We're number 5!)

13_CBS
2007-12-03, 03:49 PM
But in colder cities (such as the ones most of us live in), it's an expected part of the year that is actually the meal ticket for some families.

REALITY NAILGUN

That is true. But AFAIK, kids who celebrate about not going to school due to snow tend to live in cities where, as I said before, 1 inch causes that much havoc.

zeratul
2007-12-03, 04:44 PM
We generally get over a foot or so of snow when we get days off, and we all still celebrate. A day off is a day off regardless of havoc caused 'eh?

DraPrime
2007-12-03, 04:48 PM
That is true. But AFAIK, kids who celebrate about not going to school due to snow tend to live in cities where, as I said before, 1 inch causes that much havoc.

I'm pretty sure that almost every kid is happy about snow days, regardless of how much snow causes the snow day. Kids are generally happy to have a day of from school, no matter what the reason is (unless it's getting shot or something extreme like that).

Cyrano
2007-12-03, 04:49 PM
I'm pretty sure that almost every kid is happy about snow days, regardless of how much snow causes the snow day. Kids are generally happy to have a day of from school, no matter what the reason is (unless it's getting shot or something extreme like that).

I'd get shot. Not LETHALLY, but a little legwound? Sure.

bugsysservant
2007-12-03, 08:26 PM

I have no idea where you got that from. I'm celebrating and something like 4-18 inches were predicted (probably about a foot). I do live in Vermont's Capital (8,000 people and...static) so maybe I am just a big city kid, but everyone here celebrates.

de-trick
2007-12-03, 09:05 PM
can't wait for snowdays, the schools arent closed but only a handful of kids show up

Lord Fullbladder, Master of Goblins
2007-12-03, 09:21 PM
We don't get snow days. Last snow day I remember was ten years and more ago, when we were actually snowed in, as everyone was already at school when it snowed too hard for traffic to move.

Beyond that, we don't get no steenking snow days. We get days where it's too cold to run the bus, and us town kids still have to go. Of course, bus students make up 75% (rough estimate) of our academic population, so we don't do much on those days. Most townies leave at or around lunch. And then listen to the radio in the morning to see if the buses are running yet. If not, we stay home.

But school still runs. I remember a day when the buses didn't run, and the townies didn't go--except me and a few other hardcore kids who's parents either didn't listen to the radio or were too stubborn to let 'em stay home. As I was the only one in my grade there, I was assigned to be the band teacher's assistant. For an hour, and then I gave up and went home. Good times.

Syka
2007-12-03, 09:27 PM
Mm...nope, no snowdays here. Gotta love Florida.

Until 2004 Hurricane Season, I lived for hurricane days, although combined in 12 years of schooling I'd gotten maybe 3 days off due to them (one was no worse than a thunderstorm when it hit, another was for Andrew when I was 5, and yet a third missed us..>>). Then we got slammed by not one, not two, but THREE hurricanes in a 2 month period. Next year, two. Granted, we didn't have extensive damage, but there was damage. And they wanted us to make up some of the missed days (I think it was 2 weeks all told, most of that from the second storm when people still didn't have power 3 weeks later), which every one protested and I don't think they did.

That is why when November 30th hit and I realized we hadn't had a single hurricane hit I practically threw a party. :)

I have to admit, the Hurrication I took during Francis in September 04 was quite a bit of fun.

Cheers,
Syka

hyperfreak497
2007-12-03, 09:30 PM

Ha, sounds like back when Littleton had our old superintendent. You (Lexington) and us would be practically the only ones going to school in the state some days.

I'd get shot. Not LETHALLY, but a little legwound? Sure.

Tell that to Sean Taylor.

loopy
2007-12-04, 06:17 AM
Not only does Australia NOT have snow days, if one is foolish enough to step outside in summer they will burst into flames in 5-10 seconds.

The last time I saw snow was a trip to Sweden in the Christmas of 1999. Stepping off a plane in a T-shirt and board shorts into a snowstorm? Not fun at all.

In conclusion: Hot weather sucks, snow is awesome. :smallsmile:

Thes Hunter
2007-12-04, 09:02 AM
The last time I saw snow was a trip to Sweden in the Christmas of 1999. Stepping off a plane in a T-shirt and board shorts into a snowstorm? Not fun at all.

My sister lives in Florida, I used to live in Michigan.

So I have spent many an hour waiting for my sister's delayed flight to deboard at Detroit Metro airport. What this has allowed me is a chance to see many others wearing no coats and thin clothing huddle near the baggage claim, trying to decide what they will do next. As the cold air from outside sends it tendrils under the doors, only to gust violently when the doors slide open.

I have to say I found it pretty amusing. I could never understand why they didn't know it was cold in the winter in Michigan. But then I over wintered in the south one year.. and I just didn't have my winter coats with me. Then I had a bit more sympathy for those people huddled by the baggage claim.

zeratul
2007-12-04, 09:05 AM
Snow day today!:smallbiggrin: :smallbiggrin: :smallbiggrin:

Foruming, comics, death metal, and hot chocolate!:smallsmile:

loopy
2007-12-04, 09:13 AM
My sister lives in Florida, I used to live in Michigan.

So I have spent many an hour waiting for my sister's delayed flight to deboard at Detroit Metro airport. What this has allowed me is a chance to see many others wearing no coats and thin clothing huddle near the baggage claim, trying to decide what they will do next. As the cold air from outside sends it tendrils under the doors, only to gust violently when the doors slide open.

I have to say I found it pretty amusing. I could never understand why they didn't know it was cold in the winter in Michigan. But then I over wintered in the south one year.. and I just didn't have my winter coats with me. Then I had a bit more sympathy for those people huddled by the baggage claim.

Ouch. Yeah, I don't know why I didn't figure out it would be cold in Sweden. Probably because I was 12 and the coldest Australia gets is about 15*C in my area.

CurlyKitGirl
2007-12-04, 09:18 AM
Snow day today!:smallbiggrin: :smallbiggrin: :smallbiggrin:

Foruming, comics, death metal, and hot chocolate!:smallsmile:

You sir, are evil. Where am i? College. But on a free because my lecturer this period is ill and because I showed up 10 mins early and the work was short I'd finished and swiped out by the time the other students had arrived.

Oh yeah. All people who have snmow days and gloat/celebrate are evil. Us poor British kids never get them. Often. And never where I am.

*green green green envy*

zeratul
2007-12-04, 09:46 AM
You sir, are evil. Where am i? College. But on a free because my lecturer this period is ill and because I showed up 10 mins early and the work was short I'd finished and swiped out by the time the other students had arrived.

Oh yeah. All people who have snmow days and gloat/celebrate are evil. Us poor British kids never get them. Often. And never where I am.

*green green green envy*

Moihahahaha, I think the fact that I'm listening to "schools out" by Alice Cooper enhances the evil.:smallamused:

If you want some snow come over here curly, you know you want too!

de-trick
2007-12-04, 03:35 PM
*Starts snow ball fight*
HaHaHaHaHaHaHaaa, I just a snowday buses didn't run so I get to sleep in. Too bad I was in a rush anyways, sister never told me till after I showered and got dressed. Ohh well I got to stay home today:smalltongue:

CrazedGoblin
2007-12-04, 03:53 PM
Snow, ive not seen snow in England for many a year, the most i can remember is about 2 inches.

A Rainy Knight
2007-12-04, 07:02 PM
I'm crossing my fingers. There's a 75% chance of snow tonight, although if it'll be enough to get out I don't know. It doesn't take all that much to get out around where I live, though.

jmaccabeus
2007-12-04, 07:20 PM
It's going to be snowing here tonight as well. We're supposed to get about an inch. It's going to be a lot of fun getting around the roads tomorrow, in the most sarcastic meaning of "fun" possible...

thorgrim29
2007-12-04, 09:34 PM
I had a smow day monday.... good thing too, I had a assignment to do that I had'nt done. In sherbrooke, its a bit weird, some times we get huge snowstorms, like last St-Valentine, and still have to go, and then for a couple of months everytime it snows more then a foot school is off, and then it goes back to "normal".

Pyro
2007-12-04, 09:51 PM
I have gotten snow in like the past 3 years, but its so cool when it does. Schools pretty much close if theres even a little snow on the ground. I know its not going to snow this year for sure. Stupid la nina....

Logic
2007-12-05, 06:36 AM
I kinda had a snow day. After the snow melted from about 48 hours of straight rain, we had floods that blocked all access to the highway, so I was completely unable to get to work. I was lucky enough to have my girlfriend trapped with me. :smallbiggrin:

loopy
2007-12-05, 09:01 AM
I kinda had a snow day. After the snow melted from about 48 hours of straight rain, we had floods that blocked all access to the highway, so I was completely unable to get to work. I was lucky enough to have my girlfriend trapped with me. :smallbiggrin:

That must of been... ah... really difficult for you. :smallamused: