PDA

View Full Version : Any way to boost Wizard HP?

pabelfly
2023-01-28, 08:44 AM
Is there any Alternate Class Features to boost a Wizard's HP besides a Toad familiar?

Vizzerdrix
2023-01-28, 09:31 AM
Toughness feat. Improved toughness feat. Become a necropolotain. Dwarf/giant/dragon toughness feats. I remember a feat that keys your hp off your int bonus but I don't recall the name of the one.

Zancloufer
2023-01-28, 09:38 AM
Faerie Mysteries Initiate. A fairly weird feat to gain/use but one of the things it can do is let you use Int instead of Con for HP. It is originally from the Dragon Magazine and might need to consult the DM on how the RP/Fluff elements work (as these DO by RAW effect what bonus the feat gives).

ShurikVch
2023-01-28, 09:38 AM
AFAIK, no such ACF

But to boost Wizard's... I presuming - hit points? Rather than horsepower? (Or Harry Potter, or Howard Philips (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/H._P._Lovecraft) :smallamused:)

Slow (https://www.d20srd.org/srd/variant/buildingCharacters/characterTraits.htm#slow)?

Eurus
2023-01-28, 12:45 PM
There's no "battle wizard" variant like the sorcerer has, as far as I know. But when in doubt, use spells? False Life gives you as much HP as Improved Toughness or +2 con, plus a d10.

Inevitability
2023-01-28, 01:31 PM
The third level of Elven Generalist doubles the bonus your familiar gives you, so you get +6 instead of +3 HP from a toad.

Rebel7284
2023-01-28, 01:51 PM
Faerie Mysteries Initiate. A fairly weird feat to gain/use but one of the things it can do is let you use Int instead of Con for HP. It is originally from the Dragon Magazine and might need to consult the DM on how the RP/Fluff elements work (as these DO by RAW effect what bonus the feat gives).

This is the best way in general.

With that said, if you're specifically looking at ACFs, there is the Combat Wizard that gets fighter bonus feats at 1, 5, etc. You can convert those feats to HP by using them to take Improved Toughness. Sadly, you probably need a dip into a high-fort class to meet the Fort Save requirements for Improved Toughness.

If your DM allows dragon psychosis from Dragon Magazine to be taken by Dragon PCs, there is one that converts all your Sorcerer casting to Wizard casting. So you could be something like Loredrake Steel Dragon Wurmling/Stallwart Battle Sorcerer and then convert all your casting to Wizard and keep your bonuses. Requires a very permissive DM and you're still behind in casting.

ericgrau
2023-01-28, 02:02 PM
I'll add that false life can be empowered, heart of earth spell (spell compendium, and better than empowered false life) and amulet of health. A lesser rod of extend spell is super handy for false life and 2 other spells of your choice. I think MIC has some cheap items that give a lot of DR until X damage is absorbed, but most or all of them were the crystals you attach to armor. Maybe there was another too. As for ACFs, I don't know.

loky1109
2023-01-28, 03:15 PM
Arcane Toughness feat? I know it's trash, but still...

pabelfly
2023-01-28, 03:33 PM
Toughness feat. Improved toughness feat. Become a necropolotain. Dwarf/giant/dragon toughness feats. I remember a feat that keys your hp off your int bonus but I don't recall the name of the one.

Dwarf/Giant/Dragon Toughness have all been replaced by Improved Toughness, unfortunately:

http://web.archive.org/web/20090202132242/http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/dnd/20050110x

Thanks for the other suggestions though.

ShurikVch
2023-01-28, 04:41 PM
How about the Diehard (https://www.d20srd.org/srd/feats.htm#diehard)?

Also, Dragon #280 has the Extra Familiar feat, and - besides Toad - you can also get +3 hp from Mulworm (Rules for Familiars are in Dragon #319, creature itself - in Dungeon #110/Polyhedron #169) and Monitor Lizard (if your caster is Huge+ somehow)

If you (and your group/DM) can stomach it, Dragon #300 has the Corpsebound spell: for 1 hour/CL, you get 10+CL SR vs Necromancy, and any damage inflicted on the caster is split equal between the caster and the corpse (which have 5 hp/CL). Damage to the corpse can be repaired by Inflict spells. Distance between the caster and the corpse don't matter (as long as on the same Plane). When the spell ends, caster takes 3d6 nonlethal damage.

bean illus
2023-01-28, 09:15 PM
Faerie Mysteries Initiate. A fairly weird feat to gain/use but one of the things it can do is let you use Int instead of Con for HP.

With that said, ... take Improved Toughness. Sadly, you probably need a dip into a high-fort class to meet the Fort Save requirements for Improved Toughness.

Well, a level of fighter will increase your HP. Lol. Of course, then Improved Toughness is a fighter feat.

Faerie Mysteries Initiate at 1st level on a Fighter with Improved Toughness. Yeah, you lose a caster level, but you get a full stack of HP for the duration of the campaign. Even a simple Int buff or item then buffs HP.

Anthrowhale
2023-01-28, 11:26 PM
At level 1 Shape Soulmeld(Blood Talons) provides many more usable hit points.

Rebel7284
2023-01-28, 11:36 PM
I believe Minor Shapeshift has not been mentioned, and it's an amazing source of temporary hit points.

schreier
2023-01-29, 12:58 AM
Prestige classes live divine oracle give you d6 hp

Darg
2023-01-29, 01:33 AM
Vampiric touch gives temp HP.

Gorthawar
2023-01-29, 02:33 AM
Turning into a necropolitan will give you a d12 HD without con bonus which should improve HP especially when done in a desecrated area by someone with the corpse crafter feat.

Also the amulet of tears (MIC) is a handy and cheap source of temporary HP.

Rebel7284
2023-01-29, 02:53 AM
Turning into a necropolitan will give you a d12 HD without con bonus which should improve HP especially when done in a desecrated area by someone with the corpse crafter feat.

My understanding is that most of those bonuses explicitly apply to undead created by spells. Necropolitan are created with a special ritual.

With that said, you can certainly combine Necropolitan with Faerie Mysteries Initiate for D12+Int HP. Just ... try to be more interesting than Twilight when your undead engages in "sensuous acts"

loky1109
2023-01-29, 03:07 AM
Creeping Darkness and transformation into Shadowcaster. )

Soranar
2023-01-30, 07:57 AM
you can be an elan (which gets to use power points as emergency HP through their racial ability)

it's better to be an actual psionic character but there are many ways to get power points (spells like mental pinnacle, magic items, feats, etc)

like many have mentioned before, being an undead through necropolitan is the simplest way

finally you can always go for a very high CON score. A lesser maeluth and some lesser para genasi get +4 to CON, tack on the dragonborn of bahamut template and that gives you another +2.

Inevitability
2023-01-30, 08:02 AM
you can be an elan (which gets to use power points as emergency HP through their racial ability)

it's better to be an actual psionic character but there are many ways to get power points (spells like mental pinnacle, magic items, feats, etc)

like many have mentioned before, being an undead through necropolitan is the simplest way

finally you can always go for a very high CON score. A lesser maeluth and some lesser para genasi get +4 to CON, tack on the dragonborn of bahamut template and that gives you another +2.

As a less cheesy high-con option there's the Mongrelfolk, though they get -2 intelligence.

Telonius
2023-01-30, 10:31 AM

There's a "Mind Over Body" feat from Players' Guide to Faerun. It's really, really wonky; supposedly only works at first level (the rest of the levels apply your Con bonus to HP). It isn't really described in detail, but I'd assume that any future changes to your Int bonus would give single hit points, while Con changes would affect your hit points at HD-1.

ShurikVch
2023-01-30, 05:29 PM
Speaking about racial variants - Arctic gives +2 Con/-2 Cha (Dragon #306)