PDA

View Full Version : Portal Fighter help?

SangoProduction
2023-01-28, 08:22 PM
I read a Korean web comic where the point was the character being able to create clones of himself... and benefit from the clones working out, while getting to sit around and play games all day. Yeah, extremely standard, rote "cheat skill gib stats" story. But now, without even the character putting in any effort.
But that got me thinking: What powers would be both nice to have in the real world, and really neat and fun for fantasy combat. Portals. I mean, as popularly portrayed, portals are basically invincible shields, and can be used in rather create (and several obvious) ways. Like... screwing thermodynamics by portalling a river above a dam. The same river that is being expelled by the dam. Which then generates infinite electricity. Which dissipates as heat, eventually cooking the planet and collapsing the world into a blackhole.
Maybe add in some limitations to create interesting story points, like "creating portals takes an amount of time scaling with distance," and "After x amount of 'stuff' passes through, the portal fails."

-

Anyway... So, thinking about this made me really interested in making a portal-based D&D/PF character. Punching from incredible reach is easily fluffed as punching through a portal. Shield / Mage Armor gets the personal defensive uses a bit of representation. Maybe take a miss chance spell, with the same justification. Spell Turning would be able to flip around spells targeted at you.
I think there are "parry"-style feats, but damned if I can remember them. spheres of might has a few "attack on being missed" talents. Barroom sphere can be set to trigger on being targeted. I think there's a feat that lets you use a sphere effect as part of a special attack action, which also can work as sending their attack back at them through a portal.
Obviously, teleportation is a must-have.
...And is that it?

StSword
2023-01-30, 09:52 AM
Might want to check out Frog God Games' Portalist (https://www.d20pfsrd.com/classes/3rd-party-classes/frog-god-games/portalist/) class, it might have some tricks you like.

Telonius
2023-01-30, 10:22 AM
Tome of Battle things could be re-fluffed as that, Setting Sun maneuvers in particular. (Instead of doing a throw, you teleport the guy somewhere else).

DrMartin
2023-01-30, 10:47 AM
D&D 2nd edition had a wormhome psionic power which would create this kind of stable portals, but the writers didnīt account for any of the shenanigans you could do with it. Itīs in the Will and the Way, for what itīs worth as an inspiration for pricing a portal based on its size and distance.

One of the schools of magic in the original 7th sea was Porteī , the art of opening portals, or rather, to tear bleeding holes in reality and push stuff through them (it doubles as blood magic).
Which is an interesting solution to the problem: how does the portal wizard open a portal to something they do not see. In that setting they have to "mark" it with their blood, and are able to sense it afterwards, pulling it back to them, etc.

Other dnd effects refluffed as applications of portal magic:
- Hammer time objects out of thin air, or Into thin air if it belongs to an opponent. (Armorist weapon creation, the psionic power Retrieve, or spheres has some inter dimensional pockets in both Warp and Darkness I believe.)
- escalate to drop stuff like ships and buildings on enemies for high-caster level SoP creation effects
- accelerate a projectile to terminal velocity by bouncing between portals and then redirect it as a ranged attack (destruction, refluff spells as needed). or open a portal to a star or to the nethervoid to simulate elemental blasts.
- communication/coordinations over large distances via teleporting chalkboard or other signals.

SangoProduction
2023-01-30, 02:02 PM
Might want to check out Frog God Games' Portalist (https://www.d20pfsrd.com/classes/3rd-party-classes/frog-god-games/portalist/) class, it might have some tricks you like.

Ah man. That's actually a cool class.

Rebel7284
2023-01-30, 03:02 PM
Anauroch: The Empire of Shade has Sharn which can fight using portals. It is also one of the silliest playable creatures in the game for a number of reasons.

Prime32
2023-02-01, 01:56 PM
Anyway... So, thinking about this made me really interested in making a portal-based D&D/PF character. Punching from incredible reach is easily fluffed as punching through a portal. Shield / Mage Armor gets the personal defensive uses a bit of representation. Maybe take a miss chance spell, with the same justification. Spell Turning would be able to flip around spells targeted at you.
I think there are "parry"-style feats, but damned if I can remember them. spheres of might has a few "attack on being missed" talents. Barroom sphere can be set to trigger on being targeted. I think there's a feat that lets you use a sphere effect as part of a special attack action, which also can work as sending their attack back at them through a portal.
Obviously, teleportation is a must-have.
...And is that it?

Spheres has a bit more content along those lines

Portal Shield (Champion) [DbH]
You may move your dimensional rifts, using it to protect yourself.

Prerequisites: Shield sphere, Warp sphere (Mass Teleport [mass], Portal (advanced), Wormhole (space)), caster level 5th.

Benefit: When you create a portal, you may choose to shape that portal into the shape of a heavy wooden shield or tower shield which may be wielded, providing the normal bonuses of a shield of that kind and incurring armor check penalties and a maximum Dexterity bonus as normal. On any round in which you perform an attack action or a combat maneuver with a portal shield, you may concentrate on the portal shield as a free action. When you perform a drag combat maneuver while wielding a portal shield, you may force the creature to move through your portal shield rather than moving it normally. If you spend martial focus when making an attack action with the portal shield, you may force the target to make a Reflex save against your Warp sphere DC or pass through the portal. If you possess the Redirecting Shield or Perfect Redirection talents, you may use the exit of the portal as your location for the purpose of determining targets for these (deflect) talents.

Portal Combat (Combat) [DbH]
Magical gateways are tools you can weaponize.

Prerequisites: Warp sphere (Mass Teleport [mass], Portal (advanced), Wormhole (space)), caster level 5th.

Benefit: You can use portals you create in a variety of offensive and defensive ways depending on what other abilities you have.

Adhesive Portal: (requires Creation sphere) As part of creating a portal, you may cause it to stick to a flat surface that you can alter and that is large enough to keep the entire portal on a flat plane. The portal moves with whatever surface it is stuck to. Targets that collide with the surface pass through the portal unless they succeed at a Reflex save against your Warp sphere DC.
Slicing Portal: Whenever a creature is passing through a portal you have created, you may spend an immediate action to forcibly close the portal while they are in transit. The creature passing through takes 1d6 damage per two Warp sphere caster levels you possess, taking half damage and remaining on whatever side of the portal they choose if they succeed at a Reflex save against your Warp sphere DC. On a failed save, you choose what side of the portal the creature ends up on.
Throw Portal: (requires Ranged Warp and Unwilling Teleport) You may move a portal you have created up to 5 feet per 2 caster levels as a standard action (this action counts as concentrating on the portal). Any creature which would have the portal move into their space must make a Reflex save against your warp sphere DC to avoid passing through the portal. The portal must remain within the range of your Ranged Warp talent at all times.

Note: Moving Portals: For any circumstance in which a portal would be moving (in a manner similar to that outline with Throw Portal), creatures in the way are allowed a Reflex save against your Warp sphere DC to avoid passing through the portal.

The Boxing sphere has the combination of the Punishing Cross + Reflecting Palm talents for reflecting attacks back at enemies.

Athletics (Compact Frame) counts as Deflect Arrows, and can be combined with the Snatch Arrows + Throw Back Arrows feats.

Fencing has Darting Crane for turning opponents' missed attacks into free feints. Or Parry and Riposte + Parry Anything + Parry Intent for redirecting opponents' attacks at each other.

Duelist (Defensive Slice) taken twice can reflect ranged attacks back at the attacker.

SangoProduction
2023-02-01, 11:55 PM
ooo. Now that's more like it.