PDA

View Full Version : Feeling Guilty

NotAboutBalance
2007-12-03, 09:51 AM
Well, including this year, I left a school I was at for four years two years ago. I few days ago I saw all these people I knew. I can still put a first name and face on everyone who was in my class, and I said Hi to all of them except one. Actually, she was arrogant and annoying when I knew her, but I feel guilty. Any advice?

thubby
2007-12-03, 09:58 AM
if you're going to feel guilty about it, say hi to her next time, or track her down and have a conversation.

i don't think you should feel guilty, but "just don't" doesn't help much :P

I'm da Rogue!
2007-12-03, 09:58 AM
No advice, you didn't feel like saying "hi" to that person and you didn't.

You were rude maybe, but you were honest too. And that's more important.

topher
2007-12-03, 09:59 AM
I'm not sure why you feel guilty. Is it because you left that school or because you didn't say hi to the annoying girl? Please specify.

NotAboutBalance
2007-12-03, 10:04 AM
The other thing is that pretty much nobody in that group of people still remember I exist. A few do, but I play Dungeons and Dragons with one of them, and the other handful of people I see more often. Actually, thubby, the "just don't" helped a lot. topher, it's because I didn't say Hi to her.

Ranis
2007-12-03, 10:31 AM
I don't think you're giving enough information as to exactly why you feel guilty. Elaborate?

Serpentine
2007-12-03, 10:35 AM
I think he was saying that he didn't like this girl in school, and he deliberately snubbed her because of it.

banjo1985
2007-12-03, 10:40 AM
I don't really see any reason for you to be guilty, you just didn't acknowledge someone you never liked, I'm guessing a lot of us do that on a regular basis.

The only thing I can think of is if she tried to talk to you and you blanked her. In that case I can understand your concern. It's always nice to answer someone if they talk to you, even if you don't like them.

Shikton
2007-12-03, 10:40 AM
I don't really see why you should feel bad about it. You didn't say hi to her, but did she say hi to you?

valadil
2007-12-03, 12:01 PM
Agreed. She could have said hi too. OTOH it could look like you singled her out as the only person not to be pleasant too. Next time ignore some of her friends too so she isn't the only one left out.

I kind of feel similar when I visit my parents and see kids I went to high school with. I'll say hi to them, but conversations are just awkward. We never spoke in high school, they're not interested in my affairs and I'm not interested in theirs, so why start chatting now?

Narmoth
2007-12-03, 01:02 PM
If yo udon't like (or didn't like the person when you interacted with him or her) why would you say hi?
I was in such a situation once. And it was the other person who wanted to talk with me (we both were on the same party).
I asked the girl to **** off, and I'm perfectly content with it

NotAboutBalance
2007-12-03, 04:21 PM
Actually, Serpentine, I didn't on purposely snub her. She didn't acknowledge my existence so I was still thinking about if I should acknowledge her until after I had passed her completely. And she wasn't with the other people I saw, valadil. She kind of ran past me, looked at me for about half a second, and kept going. I don't think she remembered me. (Which is kind of annoying, 'cuz I was in her class for four years.:smallannoyed:) Oh, and why does everyone assume I'm a he?

MrEdwardNigma
2007-12-03, 04:36 PM
Sounds like you didn't even have a chance to say hi, and she probably didn't even notice you either. Don't worry about it, I say.

DraPrime
2007-12-03, 04:42 PM
I'm not sure if the girl was really offended. If you feel guilty enough, then just say high to her the next time you see her. Or just tell a friend about it and the guilt will probably go away. I actually wouldn't have felt guilty, but that's because one of my biggest faults is that I can hold a grudge for a ridiculously long time.

Trog
2007-12-03, 05:06 PM
I was in this situation once. Annoying, arrogant guy from high school at the reunion. I was saying hi to pretty much everyone whose name and some detail from school I could remember. I went over to say hi even though I thought "Why bother?". Turns out I needn't have bothered. He was still annoying, still arrogant, still not worth my time. So if it helps you probably only missed out on more of the same. Use the minute you might have used talking to the person enjoying the fact that you didn't have to.

bosssmiley
2007-12-04, 03:41 PM
Well, including this year, I left a school I was at for four years two years ago. I few days ago I saw all these people I knew. I can still put a first name and face on everyone who was in my class, and I said Hi to all of them except one. Actually, she was arrogant and annoying when I knew her, but I feel guilty. Any advice?

Yeah. Don't sweat the small stuff. Seriously.

In 100 years what will it matter? In ten years? In one? Tomorrow? So why stress about it now?

There's too much fun to be had to worry about this girl. Maybe someday years from now you'll bump into each other again and have a great time reminiscing about the good old days. Maybe you won't. *meh*

Until then, just enjoy life. :smallcool:

reorith
2007-12-04, 09:25 PM
huh, notaboutbalance, if i was in your shoes, i would have done the same thing. just remember, guilt is just your conscience's way of saying you did the right thing.

Serpentine
2007-12-04, 10:12 PM
Actually, Serpentine, I didn't on purposely snub her. She didn't acknowledge my existence so I was still thinking about if I should acknowledge her until after I had passed her completely. And she wasn't with the other people I saw, valadil. She kind of ran past me, looked at me for about half a second, and kept going. I don't think she remembered me. (Which is kind of annoying, 'cuz I was in her class for four years.:smallannoyed:) Oh, and why does everyone assume I'm a he?In that case, there's definitely nothing to feel guilty about.
In answer to your question:
1. Most of the people on here are male.
2. You don't have any gender icon, so statistic probability (based on 1.) suggests male, and the usual default in English is "he" - blame society.
3. Something about the way you write makes me, at least, think "male". That last isn't based on anything useful, but you did ask...

PaladinFreak
2007-12-06, 04:29 PM
As long as you didn't deliberately do it to hurt her, and she didn't say hi to you, I would't worry about it too much. If you see her again and she brings it up, just explain in a tactful way.

de-trick
2007-12-06, 05:08 PM
IF it is some you dislike or never really were friends with, why care. I ever moved but a friend of mine moved and comes back once in a blue moon, and when ever we go out to hang out, you get everyone and their dog coming up saying "long time no see" "I missed you" it really gets old quick especially when they weren't friends with him and waste all his time down here.

Raiser Blade
2007-12-06, 05:09 PM
guilt is just your conscience's way of saying you did the right thing.

:smallconfused: .......

I think your a little mixed up there.

NotAboutBalance
2007-12-06, 06:12 PM
In that case, there's definitely nothing to feel guilty about.
In answer to your question:
1. Most of the people on here are male.
2. You don't have any gender icon, so statistic probability (based on 1.) suggests male, and the usual default in English is "he" - blame society.
3. Something about the way you write makes me, at least, think "male". That last isn't based on anything useful, but you did ask...

Even if it's not based on anything useful, I'm curious. What did you base it on?

I'm da Rogue!
2007-12-07, 11:12 AM
Even if it's not based on anything useful, I'm curious. What did you base it on?

I assumed you were male for all the reasons Serp posted, and because I didn't think a female would pay attention to snob girl. A male would feel more guilty, maybe.

reorith
2007-12-07, 11:18 AM
:smallconfused: .......

I think you're a little mixed up there.

nope. right and wrong are just words. dwell too long on it and you lose sleep because you snubbed some girl from middle school, ignore them completely and you're a sociopath.

the op feels guilty meaning he/she/v did something which is the better than doing nothing which makes it the right thing to do when the alternative is nothing.

bosssmiley
2007-12-12, 07:43 PM
ust remember, guilt is just your conscience's way of saying you did the right naughty, but really fun thing.

Let me just get that for you reorith old son. :smallamused:

reorith
2007-12-12, 11:18 PM
Let me just get that for you reorith old son. :smallamused:

ah. i see. why thank you bosssmiley.

VeisuItaTyhjyys
2007-12-12, 11:24 PM
I don't feel guilty fore breaking up with a girl because she quit drinking.

You're, comparatively, in very solid moral ground. Don't worry about it.