PDA

View Full Version : Is there any known way to add new device powers to a Gnome Artificer?

Malphegor
2023-01-29, 05:16 AM
So, Gnome Artificer (from Magic of Faerún)
Odd class, lets you make nonmagical devices (costing gold but not xp) that replicate magical powers but are quite firmly Ex in their effect until you reach 5th level in it and get access to a handful of magical powers for these devices.
Learning new device powers outside of levelling is as if buying a scroll for the information from other gnome artificers. But this maybe limits one to the very short list.

However, at no point are device powers spells. This means that it’s not as supported in texts to add new ones in even if a spell would fit okayishly as a Device, as most stuff assumes you’re some kind of real caster not just a mad scientist using mad science to mad science up facsimiles of spell effects a fair few levels late.

I’m guessing the Researching New Spells rules would work perfectly well for this but afaik Gnome Artificer got no support in any other faerun or otherwise book, which is a shame.

Vizzerdrix
2023-01-29, 05:48 AM
Love this strange little class. No way that I ever found. Work with your DM to expand the list.

Malphegor
2023-01-29, 10:21 AM
Love this strange little class. No way that I ever found. Work with your DM to expand the list.

It’s great to know it exists because if there is at least one in your world (which despite its faerun origins fits pretty much anywhere there’s gnomes who like doing odd stuff with tech but no setting specifics, unlike Techsmith which ties itself to the deity Gond heavily), that means there’s potentially these Devices on the market- no XP to create and thus cheaper nonmagical devices (which thus do not require UMD checks to activate), as anyone can use them once they’re made. (there is the downside they’re bulky (easily in feet volume spaces and rather heavy), taking up two item slots rather than one unless you double the cost to craft them, but if the issue is gold that’s where various passive income methods like businesses/modified to fit gnome artificers arcane college school teaching affiliations and such/affiliating yourselves with organisations like the kingmakers if you supply their agents with devices for corporate sponsorship to fund your more portable tech’s creation)

They also make direct mention of the rules to add multiple effects to the same item so you can smack multiple devices’ effects into the same item or even existing items, so hey strap on a car sized mechanical magic jetpack of Fly on your fighter and a dragon headed robot nonmagical helmet of Burning Hands to turn them into a mechanical knockoff of a Dragonborn!

Vizzerdrix
2023-01-30, 12:15 AM
As the devices are non magical, I would discuss with the DM how they will interact with shapesand.

unseenmage
2023-02-02, 12:31 PM
As the devices are non magical, I would discuss with the DM how they will interact with shapesand.

And Shrink Item, and Animate Objects, and Minor Servitor.