PDA

View Full Version : Pathfinder Wrath of the Righteous AP question (spoilers)

Agi Hammerthief
2023-01-29, 02:11 PM
I posted this question over at paizo without receiving an answer, so I‘ll try here.

I don’t intend to play Wrath of the Righteous (WotR) so feel free to be as specific as you like, thread title has a warning.

I‘m home brewing a campaign along the crusader road and am wondering just how usefull „antimagic“ weapons and/or shields would be further up north, or how much of an essential ingredient to the success of WotR they could be made out to be.
The setting is supposed to be sort of parallel to WotR with the PCs on a supporting mission to keep supplies flowing: The bandits and pirates are getting greedy with the incursion up north upping the demand for suplies.

I‘d use the weapons, shields and other magic items to power a McGuffin in the hands of BBEG and leave them sucked to sort of negative levels of magic with a function similar to a Brooch of Shielding. They‘d absorb magic (not just magic missils) aimed at the wielder, but instead of crumbling to dust they are slowly restored to their former function.

Rynjin
2023-01-30, 08:59 AM
I'll say lore-wise having that many Anti-Magic artifacts doesn't make a ton of sense. The Shield of Arnisant was a heavy duty magical artifact, and its main purpose was to do the same thing (until Tar-Baphon, the Whispering Tyrant slammed his ass so hard the shield exploded).

The SHATTERED FRAGMENTS of that artifact are the major McGuffin of a different Adventure Path (Tyrant's Grasp), so I MIGHT reconsider it if you care about lore consistency.

Mechanically though, probably not an issue.

Kurald Galain
2023-01-30, 09:03 AM
I‘d use the weapons, shields and other magic items to power a McGuffin in the hands of BBEG and leave them sucked to sort of negative levels of magic with a function similar to a Brooch of Shielding. They‘d absorb magic (not just magic missils) aimed at the wielder, but instead of crumbling to dust they are slowly restored to their former function.

To the best of my knowledge such items don't even exist in PF, so they're clearly not essentiall. They're probably useful, yes.

Agi Hammerthief
2023-01-30, 11:52 AM
The SHATTERED FRAGMENTS of that artifact are the major McGuffin of a different Adventure Path (Tyrant's Grasp), so I MIGHT reconsider it if you care about lore consistency.
knowing my players: we all don’t care about lore.

To the best of my knowledge such items don't even exist in PF, so they're clearly not essentiall. They're probably useful, yes.
War for the Crown has some artifacts relics (https://www.d20pfsrd.com/magic-items/relics/) that gain power over the corse of the adventure path.
This would be similar, only basically starting at negative levels while absorbing magical power.

Rynjin
2023-01-30, 12:32 PM
knowing my players: we all don’t care about lore.

In that case, go for it; it sounds like a fun idea. And there's not really anything you can do to make Wrath of the Righteous more busted. Mythic makes everything a clownfiesta anyway.