PDA

View Full Version : D&D 5e/Next Way of Living Flame (monk, PEACH)

PhoenixPhyre
2023-01-29, 07:00 PM
Note: Lore is related to my own personal setting.

An esoteric variant of the Way of the Four Elements that focuses entirely on the properties of flame. Practitioners meditate on the Fountain of Fiery Renewal at the core of the Plane of Flames, connecting with its eternally leaping flames that promise both destruction and rebirth.

Lambent Strike: Starting at 3rd level, you can make your ki resonate with elemental fire. When you make an unarmed attack on your turn, you can ignite the ki around body part you strike with. An unarmed strike made this way deals fire damage instead of bludgeoning damage.

When you hit with this strike, you can deal 1d10 additional fire damage. You can add this extra damage a number of times equal to your proficiency bonus, regaining expended uses when you finish a long rest. While you have no uses available, you can spend 1 ki point to activate the extra damage again.

Shedding Sparks Starting at 3rd level, instead of making an unarmed strike as part of the Attack action or your Martial Arts/Flurry of Blows attacks, you can instead make ranged weapon attacks with flaming ki with a range of 30/120. These ranged attacks deal fire damage as if you had hit with an unarmed strike. You can expend uses of Lambent Strike to deal the same extra damage.

Ignition Control: Starting at 3rd level, you can cast the control flames cantrip without needing components. Additionally, you can generate light from your body as if it was a torch, turning it on or off as an action.

From the Ashes: Starting at 6th level, you draw on an aspect of eternal renewal. When you use your Step of the Wind, you can choose to heal yourself an amount of hit points equal to two rolls of your martial arts die plus your Wisdom modifier. You can heal in this fashion a number of times equal to your proficiency bonus, and you regain all expended uses when you finish a long rest.

You also gain resistance to fire damage.

Lightning Dance: Starting at 11th level, your connection with flame has added an aspect of lighting. This has several effects:
• When you use Lambent Strike or Shedding Sparks, you can choose to deal lightning damage instead of fire damage.
• You are resistant to lightning damage in addition to fire damage.
• You can use your Stunning Strike on the ranged attacks from your Shedding Sparks feature as if they were unarmed strikes.
• You can spend 3 ki to cast lightning bolt as a 3rd level spell, using your Wisdom as a spellcasting modifier. This does not require any components and can deal either lightning or fire damage as you choose.

Avatar of Living Flame: At 17th level, your tie to the Fountain reaches its peak. As a bonus action you can transform into a burning elemental avatar for one minute. You gain the following benefits:
- Continual Flame: You deal the extra fire or lightning damage on your unarmed and ranged attacks without expending uses of Lambent Strike. Additionally, anyone who touches you or hits you with an attack from within 5 feet takes fire or lightning (your choice) damage equal to 3 rolls of your martial arts die.
- Rebirth: If you are reduced to 0 hit points or would be killed outright while in this form, the transformation fades and you are restored to full hit points and full ki instead.
- One with Fire and Lightning: You are immune to fire and lightning.
Once you use this feature, you cannot use it again until you finish a long rest.

JNAProductions
2023-01-29, 07:46 PM
I was about to say the 17th feature is OP, but then I noticed it was a one minute super form.

Since that’s limited use… this looks thematic and cool. I’d have no issues with a PC using it in my games. :)

Calen
2023-01-30, 03:07 PM
Lambent Strike: Limit to once per turn?

My gut reaction is that the damage is skewed, maybe scale it off martial arts die?

Avatar: From a bookkeeping standpoint make the damage a flat damage every time. Rerolling the dice every time you get attacked would stretch out enemy turns.
Rebirth seems a little strong, maybe half hp OR Ki is unchanged.

Overall I like the flavor, good use of mixing in the lightning as well for dealing with fire immune creatures.

PhoenixPhyre
2023-01-30, 03:39 PM
Lambent Strike: Limit to once per turn?

My gut reaction is that the damage is skewed, maybe scale it off martial arts die?

Avatar: From a bookkeeping standpoint make the damage a flat damage every time. Rerolling the dice every time you get attacked would stretch out enemy turns.
Rebirth seems a little strong, maybe half hp OR Ki is unchanged.

Overall I like the flavor, good use of mixing in the lightning as well for dealing with fire immune creatures.

Hmm...at prof/LR + ki per use, the damage doesn't really start picking up until you're much deeper into the levels. I'll consider it.

Avatar -- I think rolling it once per round would be a good compromise. As for rebirth--at level 17+, things are already wacky. Not really worried about that.