PDA

View Full Version : How to be a Good Familiar

SangoProduction
2023-01-30, 04:05 AM
I saw the recent thread about playing a familiar. And commented on it with a way to do so. But then, because I'm trying to sleep, my brain wouldn't shut up, and decided to try and get philosophical about it. And now I'm indulging the bastard so he'll shut up.
"How does one be a good familiar?"

Well, first we need to define what makes a familiar good. Well, according to most guides, it's a boost to initiative modifier. Exclusively. Nothing else matters. Which is perhaps a little myopic... (although jerboas are adorable, and I will not allow anyone to dismiss my favorite familiar).
So, let's instead look at what roles a familiar can fulfill, and so a good familiar would probably fulfil one or more such roles. Maybe all at once. Maybe one or the other as the situation demands.

Well, you definitely generally don't want familiars in actual combat, because they tend to be weak and prone to dying. So actually, it's not combat that you wish to avoid, but the dying thing.
So, 1) it must be able to avoid dying. Traditionally by not being actually threatening enough in combat to be worth attacking.

Well, we all know about those times when you send your hawk out to scout the camp, and for some reason, every guard in the camp just want to shoot the bird. BS, right? Yeah. But the point being that you were attempting to scout out the area without drawing attention to yourself... since a stray hawk doesn't tend to be particularly note worthy.
2) Be discrete and good at obtaining and conveying information in some form.
Flight tends to be exceptionally helpful here, in that it's an additional angle to gain information from, and can maintain line of sight while keeping distance.
As does the ability to speak languages.

There's also the utility of being able to deliver touch spells through the familiar. This tends to conflict with the first role of the familiar, as you are actively drawing attention to it, and letting it be a vessel through which you convey threat.
3) Should be able to reliably hit the enemy while avoiding dying.

And of course, a few familiars are even used as basically magic wand turrets. Which basically means that you get to play a second mage character by having such a familiar. At the cost of some gold. Probably not particularly important.
4) Being able to utilize magic items is useful.

But... the guides are right. Bonuses do have their own utility.
5) They should provide useful bonuses to their master.

Let's not forget, however... 6) They should ideally be adorable animals. Or cool. Or just never seen.

1, 2, and 5, 6 all seem to be easy, useful and not-mutually exclusive roles. Role 3 tends to be difficult to achieve (for baseline familiars). And 4 isn't too easy, while also not always being particularly... worthwhile for a given group, where spending money to get a "second mage," isn't really called for.

...What was the point in this post?
There wasn't one.
Good day, good sir!

Mordante
2023-01-30, 04:21 AM
The way I use a familiar is

1) choose a rat
2) add +2 to fortitude safes
3) forget the rat exists.

Tzardok
2023-01-30, 06:03 AM
My first characters used to have their snake familiars coiled around their wrists. Whenever the character actually had to make a melee attack, the snake would try to bite the target too, making it something of a back-up weapon. A snake up your sleave also helped with intimidating people. Good times...

Fero
2023-01-30, 06:37 AM
Familiars can be amazing force multipliers in 3.5 due to "share spells." For example, you can cast Dragon's Breath or Glorious Master of the Elements and both you and your familiar can use the resulting attack, arguably doubling the power of the spell.

Similarly, a number of spells that restrict spellcasting are much better cast on your familiar. For example, you can use a swift to cast Dragonshape, Lesser on the familiar, cast a spell as normal, and then mount your familiar as a move. Your familiar then uses its breath weapon and flies away. Mental Pinnacle is also very good here.

Thirdly, there are some ways to give familiars spells (my favorite in 3.5 is Imbue with Familiar With Spell Ability). This can significantly increase your fire power.

Fourth, the "speak with animals of kind" trait can be useful with certain types of familiars such as mice, rats, ravens, etc.

ahyangyi
2023-01-30, 07:59 AM
As a side note, 3.5 familiar and Pathfinder familiar have some significant differences here; mostly due to the latter having access to archetypes, some problems can be worked around, but at the expense of others. (e.g., Figment makes familiar death impossible, but also has less hp to actually be useful in a combat)

Gruftzwerg
2023-01-30, 09:29 AM
Imho you forgot the most interesting options a familiar can have/do to be good:

7) Since it uses its master HD for most effects and abilities, the DC of any special ability of a familiar scales. Thus picking a familiar with nice abilities can be a very nice option (looking at the Ghostly Visage familiar option for Dread Necromancers)

8) Familiars can use your skill ranks.
This ain't sole good for a scouting familiar or UMD.

Familiars that can speak (e.g. Raven/Parrot/Imp...) can thus also use any social skills you might have. They can either make their own social attempts to influence others, or just Aid Another to give you a bonus.
Aid Another can be abused with most skills btw.

Then there is "Ride". Let you familiar ride "you" on your shoulder. Now buy either a Battle Bridle or Saddle of Inspired Mount to give it Mounted Combat. This allows your familiar to prevent one attack by making a Ride check for it.

Elvensilver
2023-01-30, 05:15 PM
In general, contributing something to the party (especially if the familiar is the only one who can help). With advanced familiars in Pathfinder at least, this can be spell-like or supernatural abilities.

For example, a witch that I play [pathfinder] has an advanced familiar, a silvanshee agathion, who can speak True Speech. The party encountered an imprisoned, blinded goblin in the dungeon and none of the PCs could speak with him. The familiar translated so the party could gain valuable information, acted as a service animal, provided an AC-bonus when the goblin was attacked...
...okay, that was gushing. The familiar is also very cute.

Elkad
2023-01-31, 07:29 AM
Familiars are amazing scouts. Fly, Climb, and Swim let them get easily into places where they can both observe and be unreachable. Stealth bonuses mean they don't get shot either.

Hands to feed potions to the unconscious barbarian (activate tattoo is even better), while you do the important stuff - like summon a Huge Centipede to do his job.

Teeth to bite the unconscious Barbarian instead and make sure he bleeds out, because that Huge Centipede doesn't take a share of the loot. Maybe he'll reroll as something useful, like a Duskblade with a Hippogriff familiar of his own.

If you have UMD, they have UMD, so they can be using items like wands. Great utility and defense. To quote myself from a thread here many years ago.

If he's a mechanic, a Wand of Benign Transposition is an awesome escape tool. Keep it in his hand in combat (or spring sheath, etc), he'll never make the Grapple check to get it from his belt. Swap with a party member (like the fully buffed Tiger), and listen to the bad guy cry.
"No! Bad kitty! Let me go! I'm sorry I squeezed your little feathered friend! I don't like grappling any more!"

If you bother to invest even the tiniest amount in their defense, they have very high armor classes. Who besides the rat is routinely 15' up a wall, with AC:23 and Improved Evasion at Level 3? At L7 or so, you can send your Imp into combat with AC:40 for the cost of a couple spell slots.

Want melee? Tumble INTO the enemy square, then bite, or deliver touch spells, or just provide flanking to the rest of the party - in every direction at once. (DMGp29). Don't forget to Fight Defensively, +2 to your AC matters more than the reduced chance of doing 1d3-4 damage.

Even if you just leave Templeton in your pocket all day every day, he's not just Fort saves, he's also Alertness and pseudo-Scent and either Aid Another or a second roll on (nearly) every skill check.

And then there are Improved/Planar/Dragon Familiars. Which are very nearly characters in their own right. Flight, Invisibility, See Invisibility, True sight, Commune, reach tail for touch attacks, breath weapons, mindsight, at-will magic missile, at-will teleportation, circle of protection so the dominated Barbarian doesn't annoy you, and a whole host of other things. Most of them are outsiders (martial weapon proficiency) and have hands, so they can shoot tiny longbows or wield tiny longspears (for 5' of reach, also DMG p29). Others are Dragons or Magical Beasts or Undead, for form-shifting shenanigans. In addition to all the skill-sharing item mechanic scouting excellence. For the cost of a feat.

St Fan
2023-01-31, 12:21 PM
I am biased, but changeling wizards having the opportunity to pick the "Morphic Familiar" ACF, IMO, can multiply the usefulness of a familiar tenfold.

You basically can have any familiar you want, depending on the precise situation. It can speak by turning into a raven/parrot, sneak around as a rat underground, as a bird above ground, hide in your sleeve as a snake as mentioned above, chase mice or warm your feet as a cat, etc. It can also complement well a disguise (need to pass off as falconer? Instant hawk.) and is less identifiable even for those knowing the wizard well.

And you can also benefit of whatever skill bonus is the most useful for the current situation, if you can anticipate enough. Worse, a changeling with Racial Emulation can also take an Elf Wizard substitution level, doubling the bonuses. (It cost speaking with animal of its kind and transmit touch spells, but those abilities are not the most interesting of a familiar.)

As a precaution, I'd suggest the basic form of such a familiar still be a bird, just in case it is hit by anti-magic while in flight.

"Why would any wizard want a toad as a familiar?"
[matter-of-factly] "To lick it."

Rynjin
2023-01-31, 02:26 PM
Familiars in Pathfinder can actually be pretty decent combatants. I like Maulers.

I once took the Possessed hand line and made my own detached left hand into a Mauler Familiar, it was great. His name was Mr. Handy and he suplexed bad guys.

There is no Familiar better than Mr. Handy.

Prime32
2023-02-02, 07:33 AM
Mentioned it in the other thread, but a Prankster (https://aonprd.com/ArchetypeDisplay.aspx?FixedName=Familiar%20Prankst er) familiar with the Magic Trick (mage hand) (https://aonprd.com/FeatDisplay.aspx?ItemName=Magic%20Trick) feat is capable of using aid another and (Improved/Greater) dirty tricks from a distance. It's also one of the familiar archetypes which doesn't clash with Improved Familiar.