PDA

View Full Version : 5e Spheres of Power Basics (Adapting 5e Spheres)

SangoProduction
2023-01-31, 02:35 AM
Preamble: Hello and welcome all you weary souls. And I apologize for going over to 5e and immediately inflicting my curse upon the land. (Although, let's be honest, the companies, Hasbro and WotC, were clearly signaling they were *that* sort of company for a long while.)
But anyway, now that everyone is (at least saying that they are) scrambling back to Pathfinder...well, I am too.
And I come bearing gifts - none of which are cursed, trust me - including a homebrew Pathfinder adaptation of the 5e adaptation of a Pathfinder third party rule set. See, not cursed at all.

Purpose: To both acknowledge and integrate the good-to-amazing changes to Spheres from the 5e adaptation (like the Telekinesis sphere, to name the most glaring deficiency of the PF version). I think that I am both knowledgeable - and good faith - enough to at least attempt such an adaptation. I may get to it later.
This is going to be the first in the Adapting 5e Spheres series, and so I figured that the best place to start would actually be with the core Spheres rules for 5e. Spheres of Power in specific. I care much less about Spheres of Might (in all editions - just so much less to work with on the flavor dimension).
Also, this should help me to align the goals of my own adaptations so as to ensure I have the best homebrew PF adaptations of (...) possible.

Adaptations:
Standardized sphere blocks: As in, each independent ability has a block where it explicitly and concisely lists its casting time, range, duration, etc. Just like regular spells. It's not buried in the description of the talent.
Unironically huge improvement. Makes it much clearer and easier to read at a glance when you are greeted with the core stats of the effect, rather than figuring it out from a paragraph, in addition to shortening the paragraph. (Especially when bringing it up to someone who has never seen the system before.) The irony here being that I am currently just writing paragraph after paragraph.

Explicit Augments: Most, if not all, spheres (of power) in 5e have an "augment," which is the option to access a more powerful version of the talent, or addon to another ability by spending more spell points. Sort of like a in-talent metamagic feat... without costing an extra feat or talent, or so on.
There are a few of these equivalents in PF. But they are no where near as present, nor standardized and explicit. (For example, I remember at least one talent where it says to spend an additional spell point to also do something. Then ends the sentence, and continues describing... either this "augment" or the talent, and it's not exactly clear which was which. By best guess it was from the divination sphere. Not exactly common, but I do remember at least 1 example where explicitness would have been appreciated.)

Spell point limitation: 5e has a limit on the number of spell points spent per sphere-cast. Equal to roughly 2 + 1 per 5 levels. PF has no such cap. If you have 14 spell points, you can shove all the metamagic on there that you want, up to 14 spell points. Even though that would be the equivalent metamagic-spell-slot-level of 15. Granted, there aren't enough worthwhile metamagic effects that you'd ever want to apply to spheres. But you could, if there were.
I do believe that having a level-limit of some kind makes for a handy tool through which you can level-limit the total effects. (Especially given the explicit augment system, where you actually do have the "worthwhile metamagic effects.") It's either "this or that," at low levels, rather than À la carte.
What is the appropriate cap for PF spheres? No idea. I found the 5e version a bit too restrictive, as someone whose campaigns last from roughly levels 1 to 10. (Even at one level per session, one session per week, every single week with no breaks, that's over 3 months on one campaign. A quarter year. Make it 2 sessions per level - which is still fast by comparison to many tables - and maybe missing every 2-3 sessions, and we have something that takes almost full year. And that assumes that it finishes.)
I would hazard to say 2 + 1 per even level. Maybe 2 + 1 per 3 levels. Of course, in making the early levels flexible and progressing, that does mean that, unless the rate slows down later, it simply splits open the "late game." So... I'll just stand here and say, "I don't know."

Magic Traditions: In 5e, they include 2 bonus talents as part of the tradition. This is functionally no different from how it works in PF, where gaining the sphere casting ability grants you 2 talents the first time you get it. But it is more obvious to new players that it is gained only one time (especially for those who seem to have a hard time reading the rules), and I appreciate the change enough to mention it as an adaptation that should be carried back.
But as I am not adapting classes, nor traditions, this doesn't matter to me.

"Sphere-Specific Drawbacks" as "Variants": No functional change, but the movement of sphere-specific drawbacks to the spheres themselves is a good organizational change. And the renaming them to "variants" does help keep them distinct from "drawbacks" which are tradition deficiencies, for which you either gain spell points, or tradition boons.
I might make note of them in the sphere adaptations.

Universal Sphere: The Universal sphere cuts down on some talent bloat (like the [range] and [strike] and [mass] and so on talents), by basically turning them into metamagic augments. And also take the place of metamagic feats in 5e, because they don't exist - being instead Sorcerer class features, which is a actually really cool way to distinguish wizard and sorcerer. But we're not here to talk about that.
I am going to bring the Universal Sphere in, including choice metamagic feats from PF, and then say that regular metamagic doesn't get to be applied to sphere effects.

Concentration: Concentration in 5e is a non-action that doesn't impair you in 'most any way. You simply can't concentrate on more than one thing at a time.
I feel that this is an improvement over the PF equivalent of having to spend your [any action here] to concentrate, but so long as you have more of said actions, or better, you can concentrate on more things. It just feels a lot better in my opinion.

-

Fixed Caster Level: In 5e, the only distinction between casting classes was the number of talents gained, not the level of power of the given sphere effects. Half casters have fewer "spells" but cast the few they know just as well.
I fundamentally agree that either the talent count or the caster level should be equalized.
I personally rather dislike less-than-full casters in PF spheres for how they just seem to be worse at fulfilling a given fantasy I have in mind, unless they are explicitly "Martials with a sprinkling of magic."
So... honestly, having all casting classes cast at full CL is probably fine, in my opinion. (Even in base Pathfinder, a Paladin still casts as casters of [class level].)

----

Reserved for links to the rest of the adaptations.

Universal Sphere (https://forums.giantitp.com/showthread.php?653762-Universal-Sphere-(Adapting-5e-Spheres))

Telekinesis Sphere (https://forums.giantitp.com/showthread.php?654016-Telekinesis-Sphere-(Adapting-5e-Spheres))

Crake
2023-01-31, 02:40 AM
Concentration: Concentration in 5e is a non-action that doesn't impair you in 'most any way. You simply can't concentrate on more than one thing at a time.
I feel that this is an improvement over the PF equivalent of having to spend your [any action here] to concentrate, but so long as you have more of said actions, or better, you can concentrate on more things. It just feels a lot better in my opinion.

Keep in mind that the issue most people have with this kind of concentration is that it's used more as a limitation than an actual game mechanic. It's basically saying "you can't have two of these spells up at once", and is applied to FAR more spells than in previous editions.

It also does retain the chance of being knocked off when you're damaged, but personally I'd take standard action concentration and the ability to both fly and be invisible at once, over non action concentration, but having to pick one or the other.

SangoProduction
2023-01-31, 02:45 AM
Keep in mind that the issue most people have with this kind of concentration is that it's used more as a limitation than an actual game mechanic. It's basically saying "you can't have two of these spells up at once", and is applied to FAR more spells than in previous editions.

It also does retain the chance of being knocked off when you're damaged, but personally I'd take standard action concentration and the ability to both fly and be invisible at once, over non action concentration, but having to pick one or the other.

Yeah, but sphere effects with concentration seem to universally have a 2 sp augment to let it last without concentration (in 5e - in PF it's normally 1 spell point - dunno which is more appropriate atm). So it's an avoidable limitation, but still a lever which can be implemented in design.

DrMartin
2023-01-31, 06:12 AM
Since you are homebrewing...

Spheres of guile introduces the distinction between "regular" talents and "utility" talents. Regular talents are combat talents. Utility Talents are non-combat talents, plus all talents spent on getting access to a sphere counts as utility talents.

Classes have a twin progression, split between regular and utility. The lump total is higher than in base Spheres - a mid caster would begin with 1 utility talent (as opposed to 0) and end with 10 regular / 10 utility as opposed to 15.

This seems to address the issue of characters being constantly talent starved and never having character resources to pick flavourful talents.

i have been considering a re-work of spheres of power/might to implement this split, essentially tagging flavour and noncombat talents as utility. Do you think this would have a spot in your adaptation?

thethird
2023-01-31, 06:57 AM
"We will watch your career with great interest"

I think this is a worthwhile and interesting endeavor. Spheres is overall a good system, but I feel it sometimes lacks focus (probably in part due to having kickstarted some of it, and having classes tackled into it), and that as something that grew organically couldn't incorporate some of the good late ideas into it's core.

Your efforts seem to improve on both aspects so that (to me) is great.

Also, a tangent, you probably already know I really like the veilweaving sphere. But a talent spent on the veilweaving Sphere can get you a veil known, and sets your veilweaving level to the levels you have on a caster class. That talent known can be the sphereshaper veil corresponding to your sphere of choice (you can find them in spheres of power, or library of metzofitz). The sphereshaper veils set your caster level (for that sphere) to your veilweaving level. Since your veilweaving level is equal to the levels in a caster class you have, that effectively gives you full caster on any sphere of your choice. That's some roundabout way to get full caster level on a particular sphere you might care about, without jumping loops or investing many build resources. Sphereshaper veils also add some quirks to how the talent associated with them work, and most/several are associated to not that incredibly useful talents.

SangoProduction
2023-01-31, 10:52 AM
Since you are homebrewing...

Spheres of guile introduces the distinction between "regular" talents and "utility" talents. Regular talents are combat talents. Utility Talents are non-combat talents, plus all talents spent on getting access to a sphere counts as utility talents.

Classes have a twin progression, split between regular and utility. The lump total is higher than in base Spheres - a mid caster would begin with 1 utility talent (as opposed to 0) and end with 10 regular / 10 utility as opposed to 15.

This seems to address the issue of characters being constantly talent starved and never having character resources to pick flavourful talents.

i have been considering a re-work of spheres of power/might to implement this split, essentially tagging flavour and noncombat talents as utility. Do you think this would have a spot in your adaptation?

I personally find the idea to have merit. And it fits my personal homebrew of having Cognition talents be bought for like 2 for 1 talent. How generally applicable it is to Spheres of Power? Not especially. Most "bad" talents aren't flavorfully bad. They are just bad. But I did specifically implement the F rating for flavor-rich talents that deserved to be recognized outside of their strict mechanical utility.
But... I'll keep my eye out, and try and have this in mind during the adaptations.

"We will watch your career with great interest"

I think this is a worthwhile and interesting endeavor. Spheres is overall a good system, but I feel it sometimes lacks focus (probably in part due to having kickstarted some of it, and having classes tackled into it), and that as something that grew organically couldn't incorporate some of the good late ideas into it's core.

Your efforts seem to improve on both aspects so that (to me) is great..
I appreciate the vote of confidence. Thankfully most of the creative work has already been done for me, so there are only a few places for me to majorly screw up.