PDA

View Full Version : Class for these stats

BarbarianConan
2023-01-31, 08:12 PM
Hey

What class would fit best with these stats?

Str-15
Int-13
Wis-15
Dex-12
Con-13
Chr-13

J-H
2023-01-31, 08:25 PM
Artificer works for everything.
Cleric with the option to melee.
Ranger.
Depending on species choice, you can get +2 int or +2 cha to start with a 15 in a primary stat and go any caster, which is fine.
I'd probably stay a bit away from rogue, monk, and barbarian as the array is not well suited for those.
Totally viable for Warlock as you can get non-save-based spells and be fine. I play a Goliath Fighter 1/Warlock X with Blade Pact (not hexblade) who did just fine wearing plate armor and wielding a Pact greataxe, with Armor of Agathys.

RogueJK
2023-01-31, 08:50 PM
With that stat spread, the easiest route is to do something like +2 STR or WIS/+1 CON or +1 STR/WIS/CON and wear Heavy Armor. So the two STR and WIS primary classes that jump out to me are a Heavy Armor Cleric [Twilight/Tempest/Forge/Life/War/Order/Nature] or a Melee Samurai Fighter. (Any heavy armored Melee Fighter who wants to have a decent WIS save would work, but Samurai works especially well thanks to its WIS focus.)

A VHuman Twilight Cleric taking Resilient CON at Level 1 and starting 16 STR/14 CON/16 WIS would probably be the "optimal" build for those stats.

Paladin is also an option. +1 STR/CON/CHA gives you decent starting stats of 16 STR/14 CON/14 CHA, although you won't be able to take advantage of that 15 WIS as well as some of the others. And your CHA is just a smidge behind the usual stat spread, but that's less of a problem on the subclasses that aren't as oriented toward spellcasting, such as Vengeance Paladin.

You could also go with a class that only gets Medium Armor proficiency, if you were to choose the Half Elf race and put your +2 racial bump into getting 14 DEX to be able to maximize Medium Armor, and then put your other two +1s into other stats. In exchange for locking you into the Half Elf race, that would open up additional options like a Melee Ranger or Barbarian (14 DEX/16 STR/14 CON), or a Medium Armor Cleric like Death or Arcana (14 DEX/14 CON/16 WIS).

You can also get away with certain armored caster builds with other primary stats besides WIS by just focusing on spells that don't require an attack roll or save, like buffs and utility spells, and fighting in melee as a gish. So you could pull off something like a heavy armored Fighter 1/Bladelock X gish with 16 STR/14 CON/14 CHA, or a heavy armored Fighter 1/Abjuration Wizard X gish with 16 STR/14 CON/14 INT.

A heavy armored STR-based Fighter 1/Rogue X starting with 16 STR/14 CON/13 DEX is also doable, although the +1 DEX to hit 13 and meet the multiclass requirement is a bit of a waste. Just because you have to use a Finesse weapon to Sneak Attack doesn't mean you have to use DEX to attack. You can just refluff that rapier into something like a pirate cutlass or Highlander basket-hilted broadsword, and be the brawny armored ruffian/thug type of Rogue instead of the lithe sneaky thief type.

RogueJK
2023-01-31, 09:26 PM
I'd probably stay a bit away from rogue, monk, and barbarian as the array is not well suited for those.

While not as optimal as something like a Cleric or Fighter, with those stats a solid Rogue or Barbarian build is totally doable. For example:

Shadar-Kai Fighter 1/Phantom Rogue X or Battlemaster Fighter 5/Phantom Rogue X
STR 15+1
DEX 12+1
CON 13+1
INT 13
WIS 15
CHA 13
ASIs: 18 STR, 20 STR, Piercer (14 DEX), Observant (16 WIS), then whatever interests you from there
Fighting Style: Defense
Wear Heavy Armor and wield a Shield and a Rapier

Or how about a single-classed Rogue...
Variant Human Thief Rogue
STR 15+1
DEX 12
CON 13+1
INT 13
WIS 15
CHA 13
ASIs: Moderately Armored (13 DEX) at 1, 14 DEX/17 STR, Piercer or Skill Expert (18 STR), 20 STR, then whatever interests you from there
Wear a Breastplate and wield a Shield and a Rapier
Thanks to Stealth Expertise and your Supreme Sneak ability, you're actually a really good scout/infiltrator despite only starting out with a 12 DEX and never raising it past 14. And between your high STR and your Second Story Work ability, you can jump long distances.

As for Barbarian, let's try:
Half Elf Bear Totem Barbarian
STR 15+1
DEX 12+2
CON 13+1
INT 13
WIS 15
CHA 13
ASIs: 18 STR, Great Weapon Master, 20 STR, Resilient WIS (16 WIS), 16 CON
Wear Medium Armor and wield a Greataxe

5eNeedsDarksun
2023-01-31, 10:53 PM
2 (or 6) levels of Paly then some Wisdom based full caster (Cleric or Druid). Round 1 cast a good concentration spell. Following rounds you've got the option of Divine Smiting in tougher fights. I'd probably get PAM fairly quickly as you're not going to get multi-attack (unless you go Paly 6) and you want to give yourself a couple of chances to hit in a round.

RogueJK
2023-01-31, 11:12 PM
2 (or 6) levels of Paly then some Wisdom based full caster (Cleric or Druid).

I dig it. Normally, Paladin/Cleric or Paladin/Druid would be too MAD to pull off. But this character could do it.

How about:
Variant Human Paladin 2 -> Nature Cleric X
STR 15+1
DEX 12
CON 13
INT 13
WIS 15+1
CHA 13
Dueling Fighting Style
ASIs: PAM at Level 1, Crusher or Resilient CON (14 CON) at Cleric 4, 18 WIS at Cleric 8, 20 WIS at Cleric 12
Wear Heavy Armor and use a shield and a Shillelagh quarterstaff.

Shillelagh not only cuts down on the MADness by letting you focus solely on maxing out WIS, it also combines with PAM to allow for 2x 1d8 attacks per turn instead of 1d6 and 1d4.

5eNeedsDarksun
2023-01-31, 11:35 PM
I dig it. Normally, Paladin/Cleric or Paladin/Druid would be too MAD to pull off. But this character could do it.

How about:
Variant Human Paladin 2 -> Nature Cleric X
STR 15+1
DEX 12
CON 13
INT 13
WIS 15+1
CHA 13
Dueling Fighting Style
ASIs: PAM at Level 1, Crusher or Resilient CON (14 CON) at Cleric 4, 18 WIS at Cleric 8, 20 WIS at Cleric 12
Wear Heavy Armor and use a shield and a Shillelagh quarterstaff.

Shillelagh not only cuts down on the MADness by letting you focus solely on maxing out WIS, it also combines with PAM to allow for 2x 1d8 attacks per turn instead of 1d6 and 1d4.

Yeah, something like this and you'd actually have a Cleric that was dangerous in melee.

RogueJK
2023-02-01, 12:04 AM
Or maybe this, if you want to double-smite:

Variant Human Paladin 2 -> Death Cleric X
STR 15+1
DEX 12
CON 13
INT 13
WIS 15+1
CHA 13
Dueling Fighting Style
ASIs: PAM at Level 1, Resilient CON (14 CON) at Cleric 4, 18 STR at Cleric 8, 18 WIS or 20 STR at Cleric 12
Wear Heavy Armor and use a shield and a spear.

You can stack Divine Smite with your Channel Divinity Touch of Death for big nova damage.

Captain Cap
2023-02-01, 02:05 AM
I would choose a Twilight Cleric, strong subclass with heavy armor proficiency, to go with that high Wis and just enough Str to carry a plate armor without penalties.

Sigreid
2023-02-01, 08:12 AM
The most natural fit would be cleric. If you did a forge cleric, you could hit some crazy AC levels.

nickl_2000
2023-02-01, 08:21 AM
I'll join other in saying Cleric as well. Heavy Armor Cleric would be the most optimized, but you could also go with a Sword and Board Medium armor.

Ideally Tashas stat option. Half Elf, I would choose Arcana Cleric to pick up BB and never look back.
Str-15+1
Int-13
Wis-15+1
Dex-12+2
Con-13
Chr-13

You will want Resilient Con at some point, but you can choose when. Alternately this is a heck of a stat block for a Standard Human since you only have 1 even stat.

KorvinStarmast
2023-02-01, 08:42 AM
Hey

Str-15
Int-13
Wis-15
Dex-12
Con-13
Chr-13 Druid or Cleric is just too easy here, but I'd recommend a regular human Fighter (probably Battle Master, Eldritch Knight, or Rune Knight)
You end up with: STR 16 DEX 13 CON 14 INT 14 WIS 16 CHA 14.
You get the most feats of anyone in the game. At level 4 you can pick Resilient Dex to get Proficiency in Dex saves.
At level 6 you can get Inspiring Leader.
At level 8 you can boost CON or Boost STR or take any other feat.
Your WIS score helps you with those nasty WIS saves.

da newt
2023-02-01, 09:39 AM
Anything you want but probably not a DEX-centric class. Those are great stats. With 5 odd scores, I'd be tempted to go vanilla human to start w/

Str-16
Int-14
Wis-16
Dex-13
Con-14
Chr-14

Saelethil
2023-02-01, 09:56 AM
I’d be tempted to o for a StRanger. Base human or (if Tasha’s stat reallocation is allowed) half elf. Put the +2 in Dex and round up Strength and Wisdom or Con.

Psyren
2023-02-01, 10:48 AM
Hey

Str-15
Int-13
Wis-15
Dex-12
Con-13
Chr-13

Are these before or after race/background? Is that still up in the air?

CTurbo
2023-02-01, 05:15 PM
Can they not be re-arranged?

If not, I think Str Ranger/Cleric combo could be really fun.

Gloom Stalker/Twilight Cleric?

How about a GWM Str Hunter Ranger with Horde Breaker. Throw in 1 level of War Cleric for Heavy Armor, Bless, War Priest, and other Cleric goodies. You could throw in 2 levels of Barbarian for Reckless Attack. You can't rage while in Heavy Armor but Reckless Attack is almost worth it by itself on a GWM build. Alternatively, instead of Barbarian, you could take 2 or 3 levels of Fighter for Action Surge and either Champion for extra crit range, or Battlemaster for some maneuvers. Or just stick to 3 levels of Ranger and take 5+ levels of Fighter. Or stick with 5 levels of Ranger and go all War Cleric from there lol

Another idea would be a Sorcerer with 2-6 levels of Tempest Cleric. You'd have Con saves, heavy armor, and access to all the thunder/lightning spells that you'd then be able to maximize the damage of 1-2 times per rest.

5eNeedsDarksun
2023-02-01, 05:33 PM
Or maybe this, if you want to double-smite:

Variant Human Paladin 2 -> Death Cleric X
STR 15+1
DEX 12
CON 13
INT 13
WIS 15+1
CHA 13
Dueling Fighting Style
ASIs: PAM at Level 1, Resilient CON (14 CON) at Cleric 4, 18 STR at Cleric 8, 18 WIS or 20 STR at Cleric 12
Wear Heavy Armor and use a shield and a spear.

You can stack Divine Smite with your Channel Divinity Touch of Death for big nova damage.

Works. The only glitch is you don't get your twin cantrip this way. Though it could be said that's situational so picking one or the other in a round is fine. If you manage to get 2 foes together at a distance or in close for easy fights you cantrip; if it's deadly and in melee hit with your spear/staff.