PDA

View Full Version : Rules Q&A Has Contrarian Urge power been errataed?

noce
2023-02-04, 07:45 AM
Contrarian Urge is a Psion/Wilder power in Races of the Wild.
It forces one or more creatures to do the opposite of what they would normally do, and works both in and outside of combat.

The fact is, it's not a Compulsion power. It doesn't even have the [mind-affecting] descriptor.
I suppose it's an oversight but I couldn't find an errata for the book.
How would you treat this power at your table?

Fero
2023-02-04, 08:20 AM
3.5 books are full of errors of omision and strict application of RaW, without application of RaI and RaF is hazerdous to gameplay. Therefore, I would say it is [mind-affecting] unless there is a good in-game-world explanation to the contrary.

Crake
2023-02-04, 10:04 AM
It definitely FEELS like it should be a mind-affecting power. Telepathy, unlike the enchantment school however, doesn't explicitly state that ALL telepathy powers are mind affecting, only that MOST of them are, so it does at the very least have that going for it.

For context, there are 2 non-mind-affecting telepathy powers in the expanaded psionics handbook, they are shatter mind blank (which would be utterly useless if it were mind-affecting), and solicit psicrystal (presumably because it targets your psicrystal, which is a construct, and thus immune to mind affecting).