PDA

View Full Version : Feast of Dust

paradox26
2023-02-05, 09:35 AM
Here is the OOC thread for the Feast of Dust game. Please introduce yourselves and finalise any last aspects of your characters while I get the IC thread organised.

Here is the first link, to the recruitment thread: https://forums.giantitp.com/showthread.php?652381-PF1-mid-high-level-game-Feast-of-Dust

Here is the link to the IC thread: https://forums.giantitp.com/showthread.php?654202-Feast-of-Dust-IC&p=25709025#post25709025

Link to the re-recruitment thread for the second round of players: https://forums.giantitp.com/showthread.php?656475-Feast-of-Dust-re-recruitment

Palanan
2023-02-05, 11:47 AM
Thanks for the selection, I appreciate it.

Can barely think I'm so sick right now, so may be a little delayed in getting Mahasset finalized, but wanted to check in while I had the energy.

Ragnarok'n'Roll
2023-02-05, 01:16 PM
Checking in. I think Becka is complete and ready to go. Probably talk in red if that is okay.

Phantom Genius
2023-02-06, 04:25 AM
Hi everyone. Can't wait to hit the sand.
Paradox26, I will pick spells for the day if you will give us a hint where we are.
Thanks for choosing me.
How about this color for the golden sands?

paradox26
2023-02-06, 06:04 AM
You will be starting in or near the town of Dimayen, in the Meraz Desert of Qadira in Golarion, the Gateway to the East. The four Herald of Dust, possibly harbingers of the Horsemen of the Apocalypse, destroyed what was a prosperous savannah territory with their cultists. The Black Tower of Abaddon was even drawn onto Golarion by the Four. The forces of good fought back and managed to capture the harbingers souls in four items of power. These Oblivion Keys were guarded by the forces of good, known as the Sentinels of Meraz. Their desert citadel became wealthy and came to be known as Shadun.

However, twin volcanoes erupted nearby, and the four artifacts were divided, with one being entombed there and the others being separated. Three artifacts are now secured or lost, and only the Ravenous Blade remains mobile, held by the Sentinels. But now jackals roam the land, dropping bones at the feet of certain people, who inevitably go mad afterwards. It appears the Feast of Dust has returned, and with it the Jackal Prince of Famine, one of the four harbingers.

tonberryking
2023-02-06, 01:26 PM
I’ll take dark red for Randa

However, I was wondering something for the rest of the PCs: Randa is a wanted criminal and infamous “witch”. She’s still trying to find a cure for the plague, but does this affect anything?

How did we decide to join forces on this one?

paradox26
2023-02-06, 06:43 PM
As long as you would work to prevent a harbinger of the apocalypse then you are fine.

Ragnarok'n'Roll
2023-02-06, 06:54 PM
As long as you would work to prevent a harbinger of the apocalypse then you are fine.

Totally. Becka isn't hung up on law and order. She values personal freedom and security (and helping others). She also is a bit of an outcast herself being a tiefling. They could get along like peas in a pod. Looking over Randa's sheet, likely that pod is on fire, along with everything else.

tonberryking
2023-02-06, 09:32 PM
I'm now picturing that she and Randa are drinking buddies pretending to be wine-snobs, an idea which I insist we at least humor for awhile. :V

Jokes aside, they might have become fast friends leading up to this. Like Conan and Subotai.

paradox26
2023-02-14, 01:55 AM
Just a heads up. The game is still going ahead. It is just that my houseguest is still here and taking up most of my time. He will probably be gone in a few days, but I will try to get the first IC post up before then.

Palanan
2023-02-15, 09:34 PM
I appreciate the update, had been wondering if we'd fizzled.

paradox26
2023-02-15, 11:41 PM
No fizzle. I have just been busy with a houseguest. He was meant to stay for a few days, but he has been here for two weeks already, and he won't have a house ready for him now for another two weeks. So I figured bugger it, I will get the game going and he will have to allow for me to leave him for a time every day to post.

The IC thread has gone up, and I have linked to it in the first post of this thread. I will have the first post up within about half an hour. Thanks for your patience, everyone.

Phantom Genius
2023-02-16, 06:57 AM
Looking forward to it!

Phantom Genius
2023-02-17, 05:54 AM
I tried to really emphasize my two domains, but bold yellow still doesn't show up well on white background.

Palanan
2023-02-17, 09:15 PM
Just now noticed the IC was up. Will try to post this weekend.

Are we all traveling together, or brought to Dimayen by different paths?

paradox26
2023-02-19, 01:27 AM
That is up to you. The important thing is that you all end up in the town. I figured a caravan together was simplest, but if you want to get there by alternate means then by all means include that into your post.

Palanan
2023-02-26, 09:27 AM
Still very interested, had a rough couple of weeks.

Now I'm trying to work out an angle of approach. DM, can you tell me a little more about the shrine you mentioned? That would be a more natural place for Mahasset to be, if the rest of the party will be traveling there soon. Otherwise Mahasset would have originally been in the area for the shrine, and later drawn to Dimayen by something else.

paradox26
2023-02-27, 05:09 AM
Not a problem. The game is going slowly still, but I have no intention of it ending.

I will assume you go to the temple in the IC thread, so the description will be there.

The rest of the party I will assume has gone to the tavern, as discussed.

Palanan
2023-03-01, 06:33 PM
Nice description of the temple, especially the amateurish modern touching-up.

Mahasset is there now, posted a brief intro.

paradox26
2023-03-02, 03:53 AM
Thanks. Part of the description comes from the module, some from me. The amateurish touching up was, I fear, not mine, but came from the module.

Phantom Genius
2023-03-04, 01:26 AM
Mahasset would know that Bazir is a healer.

Palanan
2023-03-04, 12:09 PM
At this point Mahasset wouldn’t know any of the other PCs, since he didn’t meet them in town. My understanding is that the Shrine of Overflowing Joys is some distance outside of Dimayen, and Mahasset would have headed to the shrine directly.

paradox26
2023-03-05, 06:24 AM
If it will make it easier, you can assume you know each other from arriving on the caravan, and simply split up when you got to town. Up to you. As long as you can bring the team together at some point.

Palanan
2023-03-05, 08:07 AM
For now I’d just as soon that Mahasset is here independently and doesn’t know the others yet. He wouldn’t have any reason to be with a caravan, but he would have his reasons for coming to the shrine.

Also, Mahasset was making a Heal check to determine the nature of the sister’s wounds, described as bite marks. Does his Heal check tell him anything about those? And what level of healing spell does he estimate would be necessary to heal them?

paradox26
2023-03-12, 02:16 AM
Sorry, I have been waiting for everyone to post IC, but as that hasn't happened I will post the answer to your question Palanan. I will send the others DMs to see if they are still interested. If not, I will rerecruit.

The wounds look like a cross between human bites and jackals. You would think that they would be easily healed, but either because the acolytes want to save their magic for the diseased, or because the magic simply doesn't work on the bites, either way they have yet to be healed.

Also, you might want to ask a few more questions, just as OOC knowledge. There is more to learn from the acolyte.

Ragnarok'n'Roll
2023-03-13, 12:54 PM
I am still interested, just thrown a bit with the 'split' party. I guess with only one inn in the town, we'll probably bump into each other naturally.

paradox26
2023-03-16, 03:33 AM
I am sure everyone will work to get together once the time is right. To be honest, I was a bit surprised at the split party too. But it isn't at all a problem, and it will make it easier to get the ball rolling on the plot. Incidentally, glad we still have you with us.

Palanan
2023-03-16, 10:15 AM
Standing by for the acolyte's response on what caused the bites on her arm.

Also, does Mahasset's Heal check reveal what level of spell would be required to cure those bites?

paradox26
2023-03-19, 02:33 AM
You suspect that even magical healing wouldn't work. It is more like a magical curse attached to it. I just responded IC too. Sorry for the delay, I have been unusually busy this week.

Also, I am in the process of re-recruiting for a player for the warrior role right now. I have sent someone a message to see if they are interested.

Palanan
2023-03-19, 08:45 AM
Just posted, and once again the Playground dice roller hates me.

Also, I just realized that I never finished filling out Mahasset's languages; I was intending to go through the languages for this part of Golarion and it just slipped past me. I have a preliminary list in my notes, but I'll need to go back and fill that out property.

CasualViking
2023-03-19, 04:14 PM
Hello, everyone. Esmaeel Naffar is ready to join the party (once I spend the last few thousands).

Paradox, how do you want to run it? Meeting the others at the inn? Or was I always with the party and am just now visible to the "audience"?

Palanan
2023-03-22, 01:10 PM
I like the dice game that's developing in the tavern.

In-character, Mahasset wouldn’t be interested in a game of chance, and might even pontificate on the corrupting nature of gambling and other such pursuits.

OOC, part of me really wants to play for Esmaeel’s silver. :smalltongue:

Palanan
2023-03-26, 10:18 AM
Mahasset just rolled a solid Knowledge(nature) check for examining the effects of his cure spell on the acolyte's wounds. Also a decent Knowledge(arcana) on the same topic.

paradox26
2023-03-30, 06:22 AM
You have all come together now, so you can introduce yourselves, as I don't believe you were set up as all knowing each other before game start.

Also, can I please get a Knowledge Religion check from everyone.

Palanan
2023-03-30, 07:50 AM
Very correct that Mahasset didn’t know any of the others, and right at this moment they will be tangential to his attention at best. He’s deeply troubled by what he’s seen at the shrine and entirely focused on finding this Master Sayid, so he won’t see much point in trading pleasantries with a pack of strangers.

As a player I certainly understand the DM wants to bring the party together; but Mahasset has almost always traveled and acted alone, so the idea of immediately falling in with total strangers just because they cross paths at a bookshop wouldn’t penetrate his consciousness. Give him time, but he’s not there yet.

Will post with his Knowledge(religion) check in a moment.

paradox26
2023-04-06, 03:37 AM
I must submit my apologies for not having been online in a few days. I have been visiting a terminally ill friend in hospital every second day in my free time. And in between those days, I have been helping a friend do an online course that has taken him many hours longer than it took me when I did the same course. But he has been using my computer to do it as he doesn't have one himself, and so I haven't been able to access my computer.

I am updating the posts now.

CasualViking
2023-04-06, 01:57 PM
Esmaeel [roll0]

Palanan
2023-04-06, 09:05 PM
DM, was Mahasset’s Knowledge (arcana) roll sufficient to tell him what manner of magic was used in the little coin trick, just before we all realized Master Sayid’s assistant was a ghoul?

paradox26
2023-04-10, 04:33 AM
Yes, you would have identified the spell, as it was pretty simple.

Palanan
2023-04-10, 08:18 PM
Okay, thanks, DM.

So, to ye fellow players: Mahasset himself may not be a team player, but I do want to consult with everyone before his next move. Esmaeel has just threatened the ghoul-woman, and independently Mahasset is right on the edge of promoting her to full dead.

Are we all pretty much there, or does anyone want to counsel restraint, either IC or OOC? I am genuinely not sure what the story wants us to do here, and while normally I'm in favor of "keep one alive for questioning"--and so far she's the only one--the fact that she's undead will likely set Mahasset off unless she answers his current questions very, very compliantly.

CasualViking
2023-04-10, 11:14 PM
Oh, we're fighting all right.

Palanan
2023-04-11, 12:14 PM
In that case, DM, could we have a map of the shop and our current positions?

Sounds like it's about to become highly relevant.

paradox26
2023-04-13, 06:16 AM
I had trouble copying the map, and ended up having to create it into a google doc. So you will have to follow the link below to see it. You are in Room A1. Ignore the rest of the map. The ghoul is behind the counter, the invisible stalker is in the alcove. Note that you are in the small section behind the counter, not in the main room. You are beside the small chair shown on the map.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1OlZHwb7p0q-ho1_V8uz2aDRxDG3Ek1mF/view?usp=sharing

Palanan
2023-04-14, 10:56 AM
Thanks for the map, DM.

Are we waiting on tonberryking? He doesn’t seem to have posted in either thread for…nearly two months now.

paradox26
2023-04-15, 04:28 AM
I replaced Tonberryking with Casual Viking. We are good to go. Initiatives please, for anyone who hasn't yet rolled them. You can act in any order, then once the round is fully complete I will sort the posts into the right time sequence.

Ghoul [roll0]
Invisible Stalker [roll1]

CasualViking
2023-04-15, 12:50 PM
Will save vs. slow [roll0]

Palanan
2023-04-15, 10:51 PM
Posted, and the dice roller still hates me. Let's see how we do with initiative.

Initiative
[roll0]

Phantom Genius
2023-04-16, 11:57 PM
Init [roll0]

Palanan
2023-04-17, 04:51 PM
Eagerly waiting to continue.

paradox26
2023-04-19, 02:37 AM
Just waiting for Phantom Genius to post their attack actions and I will finalise the round.

Palanan
2023-04-21, 09:13 AM
Are we waiting on anyone else to post?

paradox26
2023-04-22, 03:12 AM
Not waiting for anyone else. Sorry, I have had a busy few days. My partner has gone to see our heavily pregnant daughter, and I have been inundated with people needing favours of my time. I am posting IC now.

CasualViking
2023-04-22, 01:58 PM
Esmaeel moves 30' to pursue the ghoul; will that give him a clear line of fire?

Phantom Genius
2023-04-23, 12:35 AM
Should Bazir and the golem get attacks of opportunity as the ghoul goes right past them? Can the golem's attack be a grapple?

paradox26
2023-04-24, 01:59 AM
Esmaeel moves 30' to pursue the ghoul; will that give him a clear line of fire?
Yes, for sure.

Should Bazir and the golem get attacks of opportunity as the ghoul goes right past them? Can the golem's attack be a grapple?
Forgot about AoO. Yes, you get those, and can make a grapple check.

CasualViking
2023-04-24, 08:45 AM
Esmaeel provokes an AoO from the stalker from moving away.

Phantom Genius
2023-04-25, 04:14 AM
What did I do incorrectly with my damage roll? Spacing? It's these dice -1.
1d4 + 1d6

CasualViking
2023-04-25, 05:12 AM
What did I do incorrectly with my damage roll? Spacing? It's these dice -1.
1d4 + 1d6

You can't combine multiple dice types in one roll. So [roll0]+[roll1]

Palanan
2023-05-02, 05:30 PM
So, where are we now? Are we into the second or third round?

paradox26
2023-05-06, 03:29 AM
We are now into round 3.

As for whether the invisible stalker made its save, it rolled [roll0] Reflex save. I just checked your sheet, Palanan, and it didn't have spell DCs listed. What is the DC for that spell? I make it as being 17, in which case the invisible stalker just made the roll.

paradox26
2023-05-13, 02:10 AM
Just checking to see how many people we still have with us. No one has posted in a while, which is largely the fault of my slow posting. Just want to check who is still here.

Palanan
2023-05-13, 12:21 PM
Originally Posted by paradox26
No one has posted in a while, which is largely the fault of my slow posting.

This has unfortunately been a significant factor. We sometimes go 5-7 days without hearing anything at all. That makes it very difficult to maintain the momentum in combat.

I like my character, like the overall scenario and would like to continue, but it’s been very thin and sporadic. I can understand that life makes it difficult sometimes, but it really helps to check in, even if it’s just to advise that there’s some whitewater involved.

CasualViking
2023-05-13, 12:38 PM
Present....

paradox26
2023-05-13, 11:21 PM
I am very sorry about that. I thought I always checked in every two to three days. The situation is that my partner has been away for a month, and I tend to get depression when she goes, and I spend all of my free time asleep, so I don't always check my games. She gets back tomorrow though, so hopefully I will go back to a regular schedule and will be more up for posting. I also didn't check my posts every day because it often took two to three days for everyone to get a post in. Hopefully, when I get posting more often, everyone else will too. I don't want the game to die, and I am prepared to run the game to the end, if everyone is prepared to stick with me.

I am hoping more people check in, but if not, do you guys want me to re-recruit of just go on with who we have left? We are still at the very beginning, so there isn't much for people to catch up on.

Palanan
2023-05-15, 04:50 PM
I don't want the game to die, and I am prepared to run the game to the end, if everyone is prepared to stick with me.

Still here, still willing to stick with it.

I am hoping more people check in, but if not, do you guys want me to re-recruit of just go on with who we have left?

Looks like it’s just CasualViking and myself who are still here.

I’d prefer if we re-recruited to add at least a couple more players, so we’ll have a full party.

paradox26
2023-05-16, 04:56 AM
Okay, I have just posted a re-recruitment thread on the forum. I am sure we will get some bites.

CasualViking
2023-05-17, 01:03 AM
Alright, are we freezing the fight until it picks back up, and then subbing the new characters into the situation? Nothing wrong with recasting halfway through the pilot episode.

paradox26
2023-05-18, 05:23 AM
The fight is over now. You can search the building if you like, or else we can wait for the new players to join in.

Palanan
2023-05-18, 07:21 AM
Just posted Mahasset's next action. His intention was always to go after the ghoul-woman, so now that the invisible stalker is dealt with, Mahasset is out the door.

He had previously ordered his companion familiar to chase her as soon as she ran out, so between the two of them they should have line of sight on her.

paradox26
2023-05-19, 04:47 AM
She teleported away. Don't worry, though, you will get full xp for defeating her. She was clever enough to realise she was outmatched and wasn't suicidal.

CasualViking
2023-05-23, 01:21 AM
I'll be happy to give Mahasset the journal, but it's going to cost at least an introduction :-)

Palanan
2023-05-23, 08:51 AM
Heh. As a player, I appreciate the gesture. But Mahasset is a grouchy desert hermit who doesn't like most people he meets these days.

Also, the Playground dice roller $#&%#@!! hates me.

paradox26
2023-05-24, 04:43 AM
You can use the map I linked for you previously to decide which other rooms you want to explore and in which order.

Palanan
2023-05-27, 07:16 AM
Just posted. As a player, I will certainly understand if Esmaeel chooses not to respond, in which case Mahasset will find his way to the printing press described in the previous post.

Also, sorry for the lapse in posting, computer and life issues abundant this week. Should be able to post fairly often this weekend, since it's a major holiday in the US with legendarily bad traffic and I'm sheltering in place.

paradox26
2023-05-28, 02:11 AM
Not a problem. I am hardly one to be able to complain about sparse posting. Besides, I figured we were largely on pause while we waited for the re-recruitment. I have finished the recruitment now, and have selected five players to join the game. That was all of the applicants I received, so I took them all.

Gunhaven, Paddywagon Man, Athaleon, angelpalm and rypt will be joining us here shortly. Hi guys, welcome to the game. Pick a colour and join in the posting. There isn't a lot of posts to catch up on, so you should be able to read them all fairly quickly if you want to know exactly where we are.

Paddywagon Man
2023-05-28, 08:00 AM
Awesome! Really happy to make it in. Will five new people not be too many though, I thought you were looking for 2-3? So long as you can handle it as a GM I'm fine with a large group.

Athaleon
2023-05-28, 09:08 AM
Glad to have made it in! Goldenrod seems a fitting color for Majeed (https://www.myth-weavers.com/sheet.html#id=2793966).

Palanan
2023-05-28, 12:13 PM
Mistyped my Perception roll, so trying again here. This is for Mahasset in fox-form, trying to pick up any hint of scent from the countertop which might give a clue to where the ghoul-woman has been, and where she might have gone.

Perception
[roll0]

Gunhaven
2023-05-28, 12:58 PM
Sick, I’ll throw together a sheet for me conjuration companion tonight. Edar’Kear-Throden (https://www.myth-weavers.com/sheet.html#id=2795140) and Ossalur (https://www.myth-weavers.com/sheet.html#id=2797222) will bring up the rear. Let’s go with Dark Red for color.

Edit: Maurg (https://www.myth-weavers.com/sheet.html#id=2797558) has been tossed together. The other two are unmodified swarms, so catch me cleaning up evidence with them.

rypt
2023-05-28, 01:57 PM
Hello, everyone! Glad to be joining!

Vesrin (https://www.myth-weavers.com/sheet.html#id=2795250) will speak in teal.

angelpalm
2023-05-28, 05:02 PM
Oh jeez. I gotta lower Aluna's (https://www.myth-weavers.com/sheet.html#id=2797440) level and spend some gold and she will be ready to go.

That color isn't hard to read is it?

angelpalm
2023-05-28, 08:59 PM
So I am a bit lost but are we supposed to know each other?

rypt
2023-05-28, 10:27 PM
I suppose some of our characters might know each other by reputation, but I didn't post with the expectation that Vesrin had met any of the other PCs before. I can't speak with certainty for anyone else, but it seems like other folks took a similar approach.

paradox26
2023-05-28, 10:56 PM
Awesome! Really happy to make it in. Will five new people not be too many though, I thought you were looking for 2-3? So long as you can handle it as a GM I'm fine with a large group.

I should be able to handle it. Running a module makes it easier. Combat will be difficult, but it is just a bit of extra work, which I can handle.

Palanan
2023-05-28, 11:01 PM
Originally Posted by rypt
I can't speak with certainty for anyone else, but it seems like other folks took a similar approach.

In the first group of PCs, the others came into town together with the same caravan while Mahasset arrived independently. They all had at least a passing acquaintance with each other, while Mahasset didn't know any of them. Seems like the next round of newcomers are all arriving independently as well.

They say bookstores are a good place to meet people, but this is a little much. :smalltongue:

Gunhaven
2023-05-28, 11:38 PM
I had Edar living in the desert and making the odd trip into town for his tie in to the campaign. Others can roll with that or just assume that the insect infested kobold is a weirdo.

paradox26
2023-05-29, 12:43 AM
You can choose to arrive independently if you like, as long as you can come together and can act as a party soon.

angelpalm
2023-05-29, 03:05 AM
You can choose to arrive independently if you like, as long as you can come together and can act as a party soon.

I made Aluna a Lion's roar mercenary and expat who lives in Dimayen with her two younger siblings. The youngest, Kaz[younger brother] has a condition that requires the arid environment. The middle aged, Sima[younger sister] is old enough to work and helps take care of the youngest. Although they aren't originally from Dimayen, they do have relatives in town[uncles and aunts].

Edit: What is a good code of honor for a merc?

paradox26
2023-05-29, 04:02 AM
I will have to throw that question open to the rest of the party. The only merc rule I can think of is "Always fulfill a contract once taken".

EDIT: Oh, and Leon's rule from The Professional: No women, no kids.

rypt
2023-05-29, 04:56 AM
Oh jeez. I gotta lower Aluna's (https://www.myth-weavers.com/sheet.html#id=2797440) level and spend some gold and she will be ready to go.

That color isn't hard to read is it?
If you don't mind me asking, how are you taking both War Soul and Gifted Blade when both replace Psychic Strike?

And which type are you using to qualify for Altered Life? Going to be very relevant for Vesrin's sanctions.

Palanan
2023-05-29, 09:49 AM
Just as a reminder to the DM about Mahasset’s 38 on Perception in fox-form, trying to pick up any trace of a scent which might give a clue about where the ghoul-woman has been, and where she might have gone.

paradox26
2023-05-30, 05:34 AM
Thanks for the reminder.

Also, for purposes of Majeed's Detect Evil spell, can anyone remind me if they are evil aligned?

Paddywagon Man
2023-05-30, 10:10 AM
I am not.

Hul's 44 perception also has Scent riding with it if it makes a difference though I doubt anything could have gotten past that 38

Palanan
2023-05-30, 01:33 PM
Neither Mahasset nor any of his echoes of past lives are evil.

Also, very decent of Esmaeel to leave the journal out for Mahasset. But after that one lonely natural 20, it's back to the Playground dice roller hating me.

rypt
2023-05-30, 05:14 PM
I made table of the PCs for ease of reference.

Player
Character
Race
Class

Palanan
Mahasset (https://www.myth-weavers.com/sheet.html#id=2734118)
Samsaran
Druid (Desert) 4 / Wizard 3 / Arcane Hierophant 4

CasualVikingEsmaeel Naffar (https://www.myth-weavers.com/sheet.html#id=2732340)
Human
Armiger (Stance Master) 11

Paddywagon Man
Warlish Gro-Mitt (https://www.myth-weavers.com/sheet.html#id=2794402)
Human (Poison Minion)
Kineticist 11 (VMC Sorcerer)

Athaleon
Majeed al-Dimayeni (https://www.myth-weavers.com/sheet.html#id=2793966)
Human
Paladin (Knight Discipline) 11

Gunhaven
Edar'Kear-Throden (https://www.myth-weavers.com/sheet.html#id=2795140) and Ossalur (https://www.myth-weavers.com/sheet.html#id=2797222) Kobold
Hunter (Beast Bender) 1 / Wraith (Swarmheart) 5 / Hive 5

rypt
Vesrin Asellus (https://www.myth-weavers.com/sheet.html#id=2795250)
Human
Magus (Arcane Weaponeer) 1 / Hedgewitch 10

Phantom Genius
Bazir Sandstorm (https://www.myth-weavers.com/sheet.html#id=2736144)
Kasatha
Cleric 3 / Walker in the Wastes 8

If I got anything wrong, please let me know!

Also, Vesrin has a Sanction (http://spheresofpower.wikidot.com/hedgewitch#toc27) ability that affects every creature of a certain type within range. It would be good to know where there might be overlap between ally and enemy during future encounters. My understanding is that we have entirely humanoid party with the exception Aluna, who has a yet-to-be-determined type, and then some vermin and animal companions. Are there any other allied creature types I'm missing?

Palanan
2023-05-30, 07:15 PM

Gotta say that’s one slick table. Nicely done.

My understanding is that we have entirely humanoid party with the exception Aluna….

I’m a bit confused by Aluna, especially the part about the human with a kobold subtype. Also curious how she ended up with three times as many hit points as most other party members.

But I’m sure she’ll get along swimmingly with the actual kobold who hacks up insects and rides a giant arthropod….

Gunhaven
2023-05-30, 08:31 PM
Gotta say that’s one slick table. Nicely done.

I’m a bit confused by Aluna, especially the part about the human with a kobold subtype. Also curious how she ended up with three times as many hit points as most other party members.

But I’m sure she’ll get along swimmingly with the actual kobold who hacks up insects and rides a giant arthropod….

Edar’s too busy processing people not starting at unfriendly because of all the insects. I’m sure he’ll fix that notion once the three swarms emerge and turn into vaguely humanoid forms.

Paddywagon Man
2023-05-30, 08:42 PM

The kobold subtype is racial heritage I guess but I am also confused about the HP

I see "11d10[105]+98+30", but 11d10 for a PC is 65 not 105, and even at 105 that only adds up to 233 not 261.

Phantom Genius
2023-05-31, 12:06 AM

Player
Character
Race
Class

Palanan
Mahasset (https://www.myth-weavers.com/sheet.html#id=2734118)
Samsaran
Druid (Desert) 4 / Wizard 3 / Arcane Hierophant 4

CasualVikingEsmaeel Naffar (https://www.myth-weavers.com/sheet.html#id=2732340)
Human
Armiger (Stance Master) 11

Paddywagon Man
Warlish Gro-Mitt (https://www.myth-weavers.com/sheet.html#id=2794402)
Human (Poison Minion)
Kineticist 11 (VMC Sorcerer)

Athaleon
Majeed al-Dimayeni (https://www.myth-weavers.com/sheet.html#id=2793966)
Human
Paladin (Knight Discipline) 11

Gunhaven
Edar'Kear-Throden (https://www.myth-weavers.com/sheet.html#id=2795140) and Ossalur (https://www.myth-weavers.com/sheet.html#id=2797222) Kobold
Hunter (Beast Bender) 1 / Wraith (Swarmheart) 5 / Hive 5

angelpalm
Aluna Shamir (https://www.myth-weavers.com/sheet.html#id=2797440)
Human (Kobold)
Soulknife (Augmented Blade, Gifted Blade, War Soul) 3 / Psychic Warrior (Reaver) 2 / Awakened Blade 6

rypt
Vesrin Asellus (https://www.myth-weavers.com/sheet.html#id=2795250)
Human
Magus (Arcane Weaponeer) 1 / Hedgewitch 10

If I got anything wrong, please let me know!

Also, Vesrin has a Sanction (http://spheresofpower.wikidot.com/hedgewitch#toc27) ability that affects every creature of a certain type within range. It would be good to know where there might be overlap between ally and enemy during future encounters. My understanding is that we have entirely humanoid party with the exception Aluna, who has a yet-to-be-determined type, and then some vermin and animal companions. Are there any other allied creature types I'm missing?

Well, Bazir is missing from the table. :smallsmile:

Palanan
2023-05-31, 01:51 PM
DM, does Mahasset learn anything more from the journal, either from the written text or from any subtle scent-cues on the pages themselves?

Paddywagon Man
2023-06-01, 12:13 AM
I have a familiar and an animal companion, so magical beast and animal

paradox26
2023-06-01, 05:16 AM
DM, does Mahasset learn anything more from the journal, either from the written text or from any subtle scent-cues on the pages themselves?

You don't learn anything more from the journal. You do, however, get a scent of an older human male on the book, who must be Sayid, you think. You will be able to recognise him instantly if you meet him in future.

Athaleon
2023-06-01, 10:01 AM
Had a brain fart. Majeed has Religion and Planes, I meant to roll Religion :smallbiggrin:

CasualViking
2023-06-02, 08:51 AM
Perception as rewuested: [roll0], [roll1]. +2 vs traps.

angelpalm
2023-06-02, 05:39 PM
Sorry if my character is off, I just took an existing character and did some minor changes and probably forgot some stuff. That plus the rules might be different in this game. That being said I will bow out.

Palanan
2023-06-03, 06:56 PM
Still here, still interested, just supremely wiped out from work and life.

Will try to post a little more tomorrow.

paradox26
2023-06-05, 05:12 AM
Sorry to lose you, angelpalm. You are welcome back if you change your mind.

Sorry I have been absent the last couple of days, it has been a long weekend here and I have been busy. What I just posted will alter your actions, I am sure, so before you go to the Whitewaters compound, you can explore the secret trapdoor in the storeroom.

Palanan
2023-06-05, 09:58 PM
Still in fox-shape, Mahasset has moved up next to Esmaeel and is scenting, peering and listening carefully before entering, with a Perception of 34.

paradox26
2023-06-09, 03:18 AM
Sorry I have been silent, everyone. For some unknown reason the forum has stopped sending email updates on the latest posts, so I thought no one had responded to my last post.

rypt
2023-06-09, 12:02 PM
Same thing happened to me! It's been driving me crazy. Didn't realize it was affecting others.

Palanan
2023-06-09, 09:29 PM
DM, I'm having real difficulty visualizing where everyone is and what we're seeing right now. Is it possible to provide a map that shows the layout of the area, including the secret door and the room(s) beyond and/or below? That would really help.

paradox26
2023-06-11, 04:40 AM
I am not sure how to link directly an image, so I have posted it into a google doc. The link is here:
https://docs.google.com/document/d/1sZ6qtiE3e3PIJdr1XH8lBRWkm1SJqpFCuJ-bkcD1dAc/edit?usp=sharing

Ignore the bit about traps, they are unknown to you. The trapdoor is on the left hand map at A5, and the storeroom you appear in downstairs is at A6.

I may create a thread in forum problems to let the admins know that emails aren't going out, now that I know it isn't just happening to me.

Palanan
2023-06-11, 08:29 AM
I may create a thread in forum problems to let the admins know that emails aren't going out, now that I know it isn't just happening to me.

There’s already one on this issue, and it sounds like there are other people affected. Might be helpful to post your experience as well, just to give the admins a better sense of the scope of the problem.

paradox26
2023-06-14, 06:10 AM
I noticed the existing thread, and was planning not to comment. But you are right, explaining the scope of the problem is a good idea. I will post it there shortly. Thanks for the suggestion.

Palanan
2023-06-14, 10:23 AM
Mahasset gets a 36 on Perception to pinpoint the precise location of the undead, and another 36 on Knowledge (nature) to identify its kind and abilities, as well as low-20s rolls on Knowledge (arcana) and Knowledge (religion) on the same topics.

Gunhaven
2023-06-14, 12:17 PM
I’m just gonna roll this here in case it’s needed:

Searching/Disarming traps (magical or otherwise): [roll0]

paradox26
2023-06-16, 04:57 AM
Mahasset gets a 36 on Perception to pinpoint the precise location of the undead, and another 36 on Knowledge (nature) to identify its kind and abilities, as well as low-20s rolls on Knowledge (arcana) and Knowledge (religion) on the same topics.

Learning about undead uses Knowledge Religion. But low 20s is enough to discover its details. It is a ghul, which is in Bestiary 3, page 125. You will know all about the basic ghul from that, though this could conceivably be an altered one.

rypt
2023-06-20, 08:40 AM
Does Vesrin know anything about this Jackal Lord? He has +25 to monster lore checks for Arcana, Dungeoneering, Planes and Religion, but only +17 for Nature.

[roll0] plus free Inspiration [roll1].

Palanan
2023-06-20, 11:08 PM
Just checking in. Still here, still following along.

Mahasset is still in fox-form, sitting next to Esmaeel, and he's debating whether to shift back to human to ask a couple questions of his own, or if he should just put this thing out of its misery. I'll try to post something tomorrow if I'm able to.

paradox26
2023-06-24, 12:25 AM
Vesrin has heard of the Jackal Prince. He is a harbinger of the Daemon Horseman of the Apocalypse of Famine. He is a powerful foe, which is why he was locked away using artifacts, one of which seems to be the Sword you are currently looking for.

Paddywagon Man
2023-06-26, 02:46 AM
Any of us have access to Shadow Conjuration? With a target willing to flub their saves you could keep them in stasis with Sepia Snake Sigil for free, the ghul wouldn't get any hungrier and it would only cost a spell every two weeks or so.

Warlish would not know any of that stuff making it a bit awkward though

paradox26
2023-06-30, 03:18 AM
I apologise for my absence. I had to take my mother in law to hospital a couple of days ago, and have been spending all of my free time there with her. She should be coming home on Monday night though, so things should return to normal soon.

Phantom Genius
2023-07-02, 11:28 PM
Glad she's doing better. How's that "other" family member doing?

Palanan
2023-07-03, 12:05 AM
Just checking in. Still here, will try to post tomorrow-ish, since the current issue with the ghul is one that strikes close to Mahasset's heart.

paradox26
2023-07-03, 05:52 AM
Glad she's doing better. How's that "other" family member doing?
Which one was that? MY mother in law was released from hospital today, though she isn't completely better and is still slurring her words.

Just checking in. Still here, will try to post tomorrow-ish, since the current issue with the ghul is one that strikes close to Mahasset's heart.
I will wait until tomorrow to post, to give you time to get your post in since it is important to your character.

Palanan
2023-07-03, 04:22 PM
Thanks, just posted.

Mahasset is trying several knowledge checks--arcana, nature and religion--to see if the ghul's undead condition can be reversed; and if not, then what happens to the creature's soul when its body is destroyed.

Unfortunately I rolled really poorly, so none of the checks may reveal that much. Playground dice roller gave me rolls of 7, 5, 1. It really does hate me.

rypt
2023-07-04, 04:02 AM
Which one was that? MY mother in law was released from hospital today, though she isn't completely better and is still slurring her words.
Glad to hear she's back home. I hope her recovery continues!

Palanan
2023-07-06, 07:12 AM
Just a ping to see if Mahasset's Knowledge checks addressed any of his questions.

paradox26
2023-07-06, 08:31 AM
Sorry, I have been mostly offline away from my books. My mother in law took a turn for the worse and is back in hospital again.

Palanan
2023-07-06, 08:52 AM
Very much understood. I've been there many times myself. Hope things improve.

Meanwhile, just posted for Mahasset, including a not-bad Perception roll for the further area beyond the space we're in now.

paradox26
2023-07-09, 06:28 AM
I know you were rolling perception for the next room, but I figured that would also tell you about the room you are in now too.

So...look. Goodies.

Palanan
2023-07-09, 10:49 AM
Ahh, goodies.

Looks like pretty good rolls to identify the first and third wand, and barely adequate rolls for the second and fourth.

rypt
2023-07-09, 07:20 PM
I'm very sorry to hear about your mother-in-law.

I forgot to roll the free Inspiration for Vesrin's Knowledge check. [roll0]

paradox26
2023-07-12, 10:37 PM
My mother in law came out of hospital yesterday, so now I can recover and start posting again. Thanks for your patience, everyone.

The rolls are high enough. I am not too fussed over Identification checks for minor items.

The wands are: a wand of hold person (5 charges) Sayid uses to reactivate the hold person trap, as well as a wand of ray of enfeeblement (15 charges), a wand of burning hands (12 charges), and a wand of cure serious wounds (28 charges).

Palanan
2023-07-12, 11:32 PM
If Vesrin can verbalize his suspicions about which outsider it is, Mahasset can try to recall if he's read anything about a creature of that sort.

Athaleon
2023-07-15, 01:12 AM
Majeed's Knowledge (Planes) check for Maladaemon: [roll0]

paradox26
2023-07-15, 01:34 AM
That is a high enough roll to learn about the meladaemon. The information is on page 69 of the Bestiary 2. I assume you will pass on relevant information to everyone in the party, so everyone can look it up. Also, sorry, I called it a maladaemon, when it is correctly a meladaemon. May have caused some confusion, though I had never heard of them before either.

rypt
2023-07-15, 02:04 AM
Is there a reason 29 on Vesrin's Knowledge check wasn't enough to learn anything about the deamon, but 29 was enough for Majeed? I'm not at all invested in Vesrin knowing what this thing is, so the end result doesn't bother me one bit, but I would like to know if there was sort of bonus or penalty I should have accounted for but didn't.

Paddywagon Man
2023-07-16, 10:00 PM
I'm ready to proceed to fighting if everybody else is?

CasualViking
2023-07-17, 03:46 AM
I'm ready to proceed to fighting if everybody else is?

Seconded. Esmaeel is ready to stand in the doorway and take whatever comes out, but doesn't have a free hand to actually open the door.

paradox26
2023-07-17, 05:08 AM
Is there a reason 29 on Vesrin's Knowledge check wasn't enough to learn anything about the deamon, but 29 was enough for Majeed? I'm not at all invested in Vesrin knowing what this thing is, so the end result doesn't bother me one bit, but I would like to know if there was sort of bonus or penalty I should have accounted for but didn't.

I didn't pay much attention to who rolled what exactly. I just base success on the result of the best roll, so it was a general amount of information to the whole group, since I figure you will explain what the successful roller would have learned to the rest of the party.

Palanan
2023-07-17, 08:28 AM
Rough weekend, will try to post soon.

Mahasset will need to say something about the wands before we jump into combat, but I'm not together enough to post now, hopefully later today.

Athaleon
2023-07-17, 10:02 AM
For when it's needed:
[roll0] Initiative
[roll1] Perception

rypt
2023-07-17, 10:02 AM
I didn't pay much attention to who rolled what exactly. I just base success on the result of the best roll, so it was a general amount of information to the whole group, since I figure you will explain what the successful roller would have learned to the rest of the party.
And that makes perfect sense, especially in PbP. I was confused because Vesrin rolled a 29 on a Knowledge (Planes) check here (https://forums.giantitp.com/showsinglepost.php?p=25820385&postcount=161) and the result was "the roll wasn't high enough to really learn anything about [the meladeamon's] strengths or weaknesses." Then Majeed rolled a 29 on Knowledge (Planes) here, (https://forums.giantitp.com/showsinglepost.php?p=25824453&postcount=136) and the result was "[the meladaemon's] information is on page 69 of the Bestiary 2." If there is something that prevented Vesrin's check from producing the same result, I would like to know what that is for the sake of future rolls. If this was just a mistake or a misunderstanding on my end of what you meant by "not learning strengths or weaknesses," then my apologies!

rypt
2023-07-17, 10:04 AM
Sorry for the double post.

Perception: [roll0]
Initiative: [roll1]

CasualViking
2023-07-17, 01:53 PM
Esmaeel [roll0], [roll1]

Gunhaven
2023-07-17, 04:09 PM
Yeet?
Init: [roll0]
Perception: [roll1]

If you wanna have a separate init for minions then:
Maurg/Conjured Swarm/Bugs near the door: [roll2]
Locusts: [roll3]

Palanan
2023-07-17, 10:08 PM
So, before we go into combat, Mahasset would have said something about the wands he identified.

He’s not likely to hoard them, but do we want to divvy them up before or after this combat?

rypt
2023-07-17, 10:53 PM
I think it's fine to settle the wands afterwards. The only one I could reasonably see being used during this encounter is the wand of cure serious wounds, and Mahasset seems a suitable carrier.

Paddywagon Man
2023-07-18, 03:23 AM
Would it be possible to separate the Daemon from all or most of the ghul by putting down a lightning wall?

Palanan
2023-07-18, 11:29 AM
Originally Posted by Paddywagon Man
Would it be possible to separate the Daemon from all or most of the ghul by putting down a lightning wall?

Do we have anyone who can lay down a lightning wall? Not something Mahasset can do.

rypt
2023-07-18, 05:56 PM
I believe Warlish has access to the wall kinetic blast shape.

paradox26
2023-07-20, 02:48 AM
And that makes perfect sense, especially in PbP. I was confused because Vesrin rolled a 29 on a Knowledge (Planes) check here (https://forums.giantitp.com/showsinglepost.php?p=25820385&postcount=161) and the result was "the roll wasn't high enough to really learn anything about [the meladeamon's] strengths or weaknesses." Then Majeed rolled a 29 on Knowledge (Planes) here, (https://forums.giantitp.com/showsinglepost.php?p=25824453&postcount=136) and the result was "[the meladaemon's] information is on page 69 of the Bestiary 2." If there is something that prevented Vesrin's check from producing the same result, I would like to know what that is for the sake of future rolls. If this was just a mistake or a misunderstanding on my end of what you meant by "not learning strengths or weaknesses," then my apologies!
That was just my mistake. I think I mentally set the difficulty at 30, then later saw a 29 and thought that looked pretty high and would be enough. There was no difficulty set down in the module for the difficulty of learning about it, so it was ad hoc.

Yeet?
Init: [roll0]
Perception: [roll1]

If you wanna have a separate init for minions then:
Maurg/Conjured Swarm/Bugs near the door: [roll2]
Locusts: [roll3]
Minions will act on your turn, to reduce clutter and confusion.

The ghuls are assisting the daemon in going through the books, so they are all clustered together. So it wouldn't really be possible to separate them from the daemon.

Paddywagon Man
2023-07-20, 01:21 PM
It's a minor nitpick Athaleon but you have to Power Attack for all your attacks, it lasts a turn you don't choose for each swing

Unless you have something that changes that?

Athaleon
2023-07-20, 02:56 PM
It's a minor nitpick Athaleon but you have to Power Attack for all your attacks, it lasts a turn you don't choose for each swing

Unless you have something that changes that?

Forgot about that. Power Attack all the way then.

Palanan
2023-08-24, 07:58 AM
Very glad to see our DM has returned.

At this point I don't have the firmest mental image of exactly where we are right now. Is there a map that shows our current surroundings and current positions? I'm not sure if we're still on the old map or if we've moved into a new section of underground rooms.

paradox26
2023-08-26, 02:19 AM
https://docs.google.com/document/d/1sZ6qtiE3e3PIJdr1XH8lBRWkm1SJqpFCuJ-bkcD1dAc/edit?usp=sharing

You are in room A9 of this map, in the bottom right hand corner of the map. This map is the whole of this building, there are no more rooms to be found.

paradox26
2023-09-11, 03:40 AM
Hi guys. Sorry I have been quiet, but my life situation has changed a fair bit in the last week. I am doing a study course that has heated up and is taking my nights, and my aged care client has gone into respite and I am now spending all of my days with him at the nursing home to keep him company while his guardian is overseas. This means I will be unable to have enough time to run any games for about the next month or so. I should be able to resume after that, so if you don't mind waiting then keep your characters and I will try to resume when my life goes back to normal. I am very sorry I am not able to continue running the game at this stage. I am able to play in the couple of games I am in because I can post for those while I am waiting to be allowed in to see my client, but I don't have time to be able to access my books when I am at home.

So I unfortunately, long story short, have to put the game on hiatus for three to four weeks. I will understand anyone who doesn't want to stick around, but if you do the game will resume soon.

CasualViking
2023-09-11, 07:08 AM
Yeah man, you take care of the serious stuff first. Remaining subscribed for a month in case you want to pick it back up, costs me nothing.

Phantom Genius
2023-09-11, 02:50 PM
I will definitely be here waiting for you. Good luck!

Phantom Genius
2023-11-24, 05:16 AM
How is it looking to get started again?

paradox26
2023-11-24, 05:46 AM
Hi Phantom Genius. I am in a position where I can restart this. But it will depend if we have any players remaining. WHo do we still have with us?

Athaleon
2023-11-24, 10:08 AM
I'm still around, I would look forward to continuing.

CasualViking
2023-11-24, 02:51 PM
Present, and I remember who I'm playing and where we are :-)

Phantom Genius
2023-11-25, 06:09 PM
All in! That's three!

Paddywagon Man
2023-11-25, 10:43 PM
Also still around and happy to continue!

paradox26
2023-11-26, 01:04 AM
Okay, we have enough to continue with then. I will get a post up shortly IC.

Paddywagon Man
2023-11-28, 04:42 AM
[roll0] Sense Motive

Athaleon
2023-11-28, 10:14 AM
Sense Motive: [roll0]

paradox26
2023-12-10, 11:37 PM
I am back. I apologise for being absent, but I have been organising and hosting my partner's 60th birthday for most of the last week. I was able to get online to the recruitment thread from my phone, but couldn't post IC because I didn't have access to the module on my computer. I will get a post up now.

CasualViking
2023-12-28, 03:26 AM
Okay, so to recap:
Early rumors: I would suggest you speak to the High Priest, Arakor Shonar, but he disappeared into the Whitewater compound several days ago, and hasn't been seen since. Some say he has been hiding from the curse in luxury, but I believe he has been working with Tianka Whitewater to find a cure."

Master Sayid left a note saying he was going to the Whitewater compound.

And someone named Ibhris Akpahl tricked Sayids son into giving him the sword that kept the plague at bay.

CasualViking
2024-01-13, 10:29 AM
oof, an explosive statement from the matriarch....

Phantom Genius
2024-01-18, 03:22 AM
oof, an explosive statement from the matriarch....

You are not kidding! And thanks for the recap. I had forgotten an important detail.

Phantom Genius
2024-01-25, 11:08 PM
I posted last IC. Hope all is well.

paradox26
2024-01-26, 05:28 AM
Sorry for being absent for so long, everyone. I had a lot of RL things going on, and have barely been online. I was able to access the forum through my mobile, but I wasn't at my computer where I could access the modules, so I couldn't post. Things should return to normal now.

paradox26
2024-02-03, 09:38 PM
I am forced to apologise once again. I haven't been able to check out this game due to forum instability. I have had my phone trying to check into the recruitment forum, but that hasn't really been working, so I haven't tried checking in on my games.

Is everyone still here?

Athaleon
2024-02-03, 09:48 PM
I'm still around.

CasualViking
2024-02-04, 11:47 PM
yep, still here

Phantom Genius
2024-02-06, 07:07 AM
Still around.

Palanan
2024-02-29, 10:23 AM
Hey, folks, I’m posting on behalf of paradox26. Between forum problems and RL issues, he is putting all of his games on hold for now.

He intends to pick up again when he’s in a better place, but no timeframe yet. Please send some good thoughts his way.