PDA

View Full Version : [OOC] Troubles in Otori PF2

Xihirli
2023-02-06, 09:20 PM
Beginning with Menace Below Otori from the Pathfinder 2E Beginner's Box, Troubles in Otori takes characters from first to fifth level.

Otari is a lumber town and trade port with a storied past that was founded by a group of adventurers over 400 years ago. Today, the town is a prosperous community and one of the most influential along the coast of the Isle of Kortos.
Though day-to-day life in Otari is much like that of any small town, its skyline stands out due to the enormous waterwheel at the town’s eastern edge, the ingenious and enormous flume that brings lumber down the cliffside for easy transportation.
About 1,240 people live in Otari, drawn from all over the world. While most of these residents are humans, some dwarves and elves also live here. Most of the town’s residents work in the local fishing and lumber industries.

This takes place in the world of Golarian, we'll discuss if we want to use any Variant Rules once we've gathered the players.

IC thread (https://forums.giantitp.com/showthread.php?654001-IC-Troubles-in-Otori-PF2)

davyjones
2023-02-06, 11:51 PM
Tigerpaw (https://www.myth-weavers.com/sheet.html#id=2744707) is a catfolk aesthetic who travels from town-to-town on a journey of exploration, and uses prize fighting as a way to make a little coin on the way. He's fascinated by the small-but-thriving lumber town he finds himself in at the moment, and revels in the culture to be found there.

Bobthewizard
2023-02-07, 06:46 AM
Depending on what everyone else wants to play, I'm open to playing either a fighter or a sorcerer, leaning towards fighter if it works for the party.

Are we using gradual ability increases and/or free archetype?

Xihirli
2023-02-07, 06:52 AM
That's open to discussion. Generally I always recommend to people trying out new system without too many variant rules so practice-what-I-preach time but what are players thinking?

Bobthewizard
2023-02-07, 07:07 AM
I'm fine keeping it simple since we're learning a new system.

Valmark
2023-02-07, 07:58 AM
Yilverth Sunefrinys (https://www.myth-weavers.com/sheet.html#id=2744691) on the run from his country.

Personally I'm fine with either, though to get a gauge of how characters work at base it's probably better to keep it without alternative rules.

That said, gradual ability increases make the growth in power of characters more distribuited without actually changing it, so I'd love to use them.

Also I'm taking this speech color if we're already picking them.

Xihirli
2023-02-07, 09:07 AM
Alright, good notes.
We have one more player left to arrive.

Valmark
2023-02-07, 09:12 AM
Depending on what everyone else wants to play, I'm open to playing either a fighter or a sorcerer, leaning towards fighter if it works for the party.

Are we using gradual ability increases and/or free archetype?

Btw if it helps deciding I plan on taking lots of Medicine skill feats to help out with healing.

Bobthewizard
2023-02-07, 09:25 AM
Are you sure you both want to play monks in a 4 person party? Are they both melee?

Xihirli
2023-02-07, 09:30 AM
I'm sure the adventure won't fall apart if I have to add in a few more healing potions.

Valmark
2023-02-07, 09:39 AM
Are you sure you both want to play monks in a 4 person party? Are they both melee?
Seems like it. The only other character I have mostly ready is an evil spellcaster gnoll which kinda sounds like something that isn't going to fit in with the group :v

Besides, a couple frontliners that can also sneak together are going to be helpful to one another.

I'm sure the adventure won't fall apart if I have to add in a few more healing potions.

Inflation, truly the greatest cause of adventure failure.

davyjones
2023-02-07, 04:10 PM
I'm all for erring on the side of the core rules vs. optional rules as folks learn the system.

And I'd really prefer to keep my monk intact (especially since the monk was invited to join this game, and I'm just along for the ride ;) ).

ahyangyi
2023-02-08, 12:42 AM
Re-posting Adriel (https://www.myth-weavers.com/sheet.html#id=2745437), human sylph sorcerer.

I was hesitating posting the character here because I probably needed to change the background; freed slave is a Streets of Absalom campiagn background, and I feel I need something else for Otori. I'll make the change soon, though.

Optional archetype kicks in at level 2 though. While I lack any system mastery at this moment, I think I should be able to pick something after one level of gameplay. Hence I support free archetype. As for gradual ability increases, I honestly don't understand what problem it's trying to solve.

Valmark
2023-02-08, 01:50 AM
Mmm, suddenly wondering if the Elven Branched Spear may be more fun after all.

Hence I support free archetype. As for gradual ability increases, I honestly don't understand what problem it's trying to solve.

I'd say it's there for two reasons- style, because GAIs let you grow in the same level of power but faster and less at a time, which means you're getting your powers frontloaded- conversely, by doing this the levels 5/10/15/20 and possibly the levels 4/9/14/19 are likely to feel more underwhelming because you already picked your most important ASIs by then.

The other reason is that for characters that need to get better stats ASAP GAIs work a lot better. For example I've tanked my Str and Con- there's a world of difference between getting to 5ft level with 12 str and 10 con and getting 14 str at 2nd and 12 con at 3rd and getting to 5th level that way.

ahyangyi
2023-02-08, 05:02 AM
Ah, it's more about "I trust the GM to balance encounters". So if everyone gets an ability score bump at level 2, then I assume everyone would bump their primary stat, getting better at hitting and critting, and then the GM would balance accordingly.

Anyway, I don't oppose GAI either. I just feel the numerical adjustments aren't exciting either way.

Valmark
2023-02-08, 05:18 AM
Ah, it's more about "I trust the GM to balance encounters". So if everyone gets an ability score bump at level 2, then I assume everyone would bump their primary stat, getting better at hitting and critting, and then the GM would balance accordingly.

Anyway, I don't oppose GAI either. I just feel the numerical adjustments aren't exciting either way.

Yeah, at the end of the day a +2/+1 isn't exciting by itself although you can use it to classify for prerequisites (say, if you have 14 str/12 con you can boost con to 14 at 2nd and immediately grab a barbarian devotion, rather then wait for 6th, something like that).

But it's something you need to know at character creation to plan for.

Funnily unless someone made a less specialized character you probably ain't bumping your primary score up. If you start with an 18 you're only getting to 20 at 6th level (or 10th with standard rules) so with gradual ASIs it's likely to be your 5th level one.

EDIT: 'cause if I recall correctly any ASI beyond 18 only increases by +1.

Bobthewizard
2023-02-08, 09:50 AM
I didn't want to add a fighter to a party that already has two monks, and I'm not quite ready to tackle a cleric build, so here's Gorak (https://www.myth-weavers.com/sheet.html#id=2754598), orc paladin champion.

He'll speak in dark green.

Let me know if that's ok, Xhirli, since that's not what I submitted to the other game.

Xihirli
2023-02-08, 10:01 AM
All good, any class that you’re willing to put up with the complexity of is fine.

Once I’m off work I’ll get up an IC.

As for an escaped slave, a small middle of nowhere fishing village isn’t the worst place to run.

Xihirli
2023-02-08, 04:15 PM
And we're live (https://forums.giantitp.com/showthread.php?654001-IC-Troubles-in-Otori-PF2).

ahyangyi
2023-02-08, 04:52 PM
As for an escaped slave, a small middle of nowhere fishing village isn’t the worst place to run.

I just looked at the map and saw how close Otori was to Absalom, I guess I don't even need to change the background story then. Anyway, for mechanical reasons (wanted more dexterity) I changed the background to Servant, which also fits the previously written background.

EDIT: wait, I just read the blurb, are we all going to be Otori locals?

Xihirli
2023-02-08, 05:11 PM
Nah, but I will say you've all been here for at least a month. If that's okay with everyone.

Valmark
2023-02-08, 05:40 PM
Nah, but I will say you've all been here for at least a month. If that's okay with everyone.

Yeah, I can work with that.

davyjones
2023-02-09, 12:37 PM
I'm usually a navy blue type, but I think I'll go with saddle brown for Tigerpaw's text

ahyangyi
2023-02-09, 04:12 PM
Grabbing the blue color then, also buy a shield.

Bobthewizard
2023-02-10, 06:38 PM
Nice job on the intro posts everyone. I'm excited to see where these 4 characters can go.

Do any of your characters have any mechanical effects the team needs to know about?

For the champion class, I recommend you stay within 15' of me. If you get attacked within 15', I can use my reaction to give you some resistance and to attack whoever tried to hit you.

I assume we try to make a three person wall that bad guys can't get through to attack the sorcerer. If the room is only 10' wide then it's monks in front with me right behind since I have 10' reach. Plus, I think monks are pretty awesome with the best AC and flurry for two strikes with one action. This will be fun to se them in action.

Valmark
2023-02-11, 08:18 AM
Do any of your characters have any mechanical effects the team needs to know about?

I don't think so, the only thing that comes to mind is that Yilverth's spear can't be used for flurrying until level 2.

davyjones
2023-02-11, 09:57 PM
Tigerpaw is built as an unarmed combatant. He has a sling, but that's pretty much the only weapon he carries. I figured he'll be at his best when paired up with Yil, as Bob suggested, or when he's behind the guy fighting Gorak.

ahyangyi
2023-02-11, 11:21 PM
Adriel should be fighting from afar. I’ll try to avoid getting attacked, though my lack of system mastery might get in the way.

The defensive plans are 1) run away 2) Raise a Shield and 3) noxious vapors to get concealment.

The utility aspects of him is also lacking, Detect Magic and Read Lips and that's it.

Valmark
2023-02-12, 06:38 AM
Valmark there's no point in posting if you forget to roll [roll0]

Bobthewizard
2023-02-12, 10:12 AM
Gorak initiative [roll0]

ahyangyi
2023-02-12, 12:36 PM
Ah, I forgot previewing posts interferes with the dice bot.

Rolling here: [roll0]

Valmark
2023-02-12, 12:37 PM
@ahyangy if you write the code for a roll then use the preview it'll cancel your roll code. Same thing if you try editing one in.

Essentially when you put a roll code the only thing you can do is post it :p

EDIT: Whooops ninja'd

davyjones
2023-02-12, 04:52 PM
Tigerpaw Perception as Initiative. [roll0]

Valmark
2023-02-12, 05:09 PM
Should those that have initiative go ahead and post together? Or do we wanna resolve one turn at a time?

Xihirli
2023-02-12, 06:20 PM
Adriel and Yilverth go ahead.

Valmark
2023-02-12, 07:00 PM
Mhmhmh [roll0]

Xihirli
2023-02-12, 11:16 PM
Adriel
Yilverth
Rats
Gorak
Tigerpaw

davyjones
2023-02-12, 11:19 PM
Sorry. I had a post started, but then the Super Bowl started and I forgot to post it...(my team won, so I'm a bit giddy right now...I'll try to get something fresh out before I go to bed).

Valmark
2023-02-13, 11:54 AM
Iirc second attack is at +5, not +4, 'cause the Tiger Stance strikes are Agile.

EDIT: Also I think it's first the rats' turn >.>

Bobthewizard
2023-02-13, 12:05 PM

Although I think he should only be trained in unarmed attacks, not expert. So it would be +7/+3.

I could be missing something though. How did Tigerpaw get expert in attacks?

Xihirli
2023-02-13, 01:12 PM

EDIT: Also I think it's first the rats' turn >.>

Plain fists are as well, so keep that in mind.

ahyangyi
2023-02-13, 01:38 PM
If anyone wonders why I edited all my IC posts: I just discovered the "Adriel" link all pointed to Gorak's character sheet... I copied and failed to replace the link, and needed to fix it :smallbiggrin:

davyjones
2023-02-13, 02:14 PM

I knew I was missing something. I remember reading the entry, then I couldn't recall where I had seen it. Thanks for the reminder.

Although I think he should only be trained in unarmed attacks, not expert. So it would be +7/+3.

I could be missing something though. How did Tigerpaw get expert in attacks?

Through mental error, probably. I've fixed my character sheet & noted the discrepancy in my post.

Xihirli
2023-02-13, 06:34 PM
Okay the three rats are going to pick one of you, shriek out an intimidation, and make one attack.

[roll0]
[roll1] intimidate vs your WILL DC
[roll2] [roll3] BITE and make a fortitude save

[roll4]
[roll5] intimidate vs your WILL DC
[roll6] [roll7] BITE and make a fortitude save

[roll8]
[roll9] intimidate vs your WILL DC
[roll10] [roll11] BITE and make a fortitude save

davyjones
2023-02-13, 06:48 PM
Tigerpaw will move to assist Gorak, as he has the double team. I'm indifferent as to being on Gorak's left or right...put the big cat in a place that covers a hole/flank in our line.

Bobthewizard
2023-02-13, 07:31 PM
damage [roll0]

Valmark
2023-02-13, 07:32 PM
Is there a way for Yilverth to Step and flank somebody? Given that his skillset in a fight isn't particularly useful (at least until he gets Battle Medicine, for now he can only treat wounds after a fight) the best he can do is stab twice while flanking. Failing that I'll try a Feint probably.

Bobthewizard
2023-02-13, 07:41 PM
Is there a way for Yilverth to Step and flank somebody? Given that his skillset in a fight isn't particularly useful (at least until he gets Battle Medicine, for now he can only treat wounds after a fight) the best he can do is stab twice while flanking. Failing that I'll try a Feint probably.

Same for me. I just posted my first action as "Step/Move to flank", then my next two were attacks.

Xihirli
2023-02-13, 07:56 PM

Yes, you could both flank, we have three frontliners.

Valmark
2023-02-13, 07:58 PM
Same for me. I just posted my first action as "Step/Move to flank", then my next two were attacks.

Yeah, it seems like it's a good idea to grab at least one out of Deception, Intimidation, Athletics or a shield to have ways to directly debuff the opponent/relocate them (hey, Tripping tecnically relocates :p) or buff oneself. With the caveat that stuff like Tripping also incurs the penalty for attacks.

Bobthewizard
2023-02-13, 08:00 PM
I would have intimidated, but I need Intimidating Glare first (next level) before I can do it to something that doesn't speak.

Edit: I looked it up. Demoralize is a -4 penalty if you don't share a language. So I could have tried it. It can cause frightened 1 (2 on crit) which is a status penalty to all checks and DCs (including AC) and stacks with flat-footed which is a circumstance penalty.

Feint causes flat-footed on a success and does not stack with flanking, so it gives same bonus but requires a check. Flanking is better if you can.

Valmark
2023-02-13, 08:09 PM
I would have intimidated, but I need Intimidating Glare first (next level) before I can do it to something that doesn't speak.

My understanding is that you get a -4 on it, not that you can't do it. Wether it's still worth it or not I'm not sure (of course between that and attacking at -3 like in my case I'd rather try the Demoralize :p)

Bobthewizard
2023-02-13, 08:11 PM
My understanding is that you get a -4 on it, not that you can't do it. Wether it's still worth it or not I'm not sure (of course between that and attacking at -3 like in my case I'd rather try the Demoralize :p)

Yep. I looked it up and was editing my post above while you posted. You need some pretty extraordinary bonuses before that third strike is appealing.

Valmark
2023-02-13, 08:19 PM
Yep. I looked it up and was editing my post above while you posted. You need some pretty extraordinary bonuses before that third strike is appealing.

My understanding is that you basically only do it if you're critfishing or against low AC enemies/with agile weapons (-8 is still big, just not as big). There's also a whole slew of Conditions that reduce AC.

Not much we can do at 1st level though :p

ahyangyi
2023-02-14, 01:34 PM
A question: can we get the monster's HP and defenses upon a successful Recall Knowledge action, so that we know whether we hit and whether we downed an enemy, and can roleplay accordingly, and need to write fewer "if... else" stuff?

(That said, I probably failed my Recall Knowledge check for this encounter...)

Xihirli
2023-02-14, 08:49 PM
On a critical success you learn a lot.

ahyangyi
2023-02-15, 12:10 PM
Alright~~~

ahyangyi
2023-02-16, 12:35 PM
Yay, critical failure, tell me I don't die here... (to be honest, if it's standard trained DC, I'd crit fail on a 5 too, so... I guess I'm asking to die...)

Xihirli
2023-02-16, 07:51 PM
Tigerpaw suffers a standard failure; he makes no progress and rolls again. [roll0]

Xihirli
2023-02-18, 07:58 AM
The big ol' spider will use a stealth check as Initiative:
[roll0]

Xihirli
2023-02-18, 08:00 AM
Since we already have some perceptions out to act as Initiative I'll add one in for Tigerpaw. [roll0]

Valmark
2023-02-18, 09:20 AM
Leaping! I only need 5 feet [roll0] please don't fail me now

Bobthewizard
2023-02-18, 09:22 AM
What are the rules for traversing the webbing. Impassable? Difficult Terrain?

Valmark
2023-02-18, 09:49 AM
What are the rules for traversing the webbing. Impassable? Difficult Terrain?

Iirc it was stated to be 'simple' difficult terrain. So every 5 feet costs 5 feet more and you can't Step.

I could have just Strided and Struck twice as an elf but I had misred the rules for Long Jumps and I had already rolled :v

Xihirli
2023-02-18, 10:05 AM
Standard, with an added caveat that a successful acrobatics check can allow you to balance on rocks and skip webbing to move normally.

davyjones
2023-02-18, 12:03 PM
Tigerpaw Acrobatics +7 to move at normal speed, since he can't get to the spider without it...
[roll0]

Xihirli
2023-02-18, 01:59 PM
That'll do, Tigerpaw.

ahyangyi
2023-02-21, 02:56 PM
Uh, I guess Adriel should also take a look at the barricade (will edit the IC post soon edited!)
[roll0]

davyjones
2023-02-23, 11:56 AM
Tigerpaw Religion +0 DC 15 check [roll0]

ahyangyi
2023-02-23, 01:24 PM
"Religion? I know Ranginori is a cool lion, and Cayden Cailean is a drunkard... does that help?"

[roll0]

Bobthewizard
2023-02-23, 01:30 PM
Religion [roll0]

Xihirli
2023-02-23, 02:41 PM
With a 17 Fortitude you do not gain the extra benefit but you also do not suffer anything.

Xihirli
2023-02-25, 10:29 PM
Throw me some Diplomacy Rolls to approach peacefully.

davyjones
2023-02-25, 11:59 PM
Heh, all of us have either a very high Charisma or training in Diplomacy. That said, I'd like to have Tigerpaw take a shot here, since he's the one who's the least obviously armed. :)

[roll0]

Valmark
2023-02-26, 03:38 AM
Throw me some Diplomacy Rolls to approach peacefully.

Heh, all of us have either a very high Charisma or training in Diplomacy. That said, I'd like to have Tigerpaw take a shot here, since he's the one who's the least obviously armed. :)

[roll0]

Huh, for some reason I thought Diplomacy had already been rolled.

Bobthewizard
2023-02-26, 08:52 AM
Gorak's [roll0]

ahyangyi
2023-02-26, 12:24 PM
The highest charisma friendly guy somehow doesn't have Diplomacy.

Diplomacy: [roll0]

Also, I want some confirmation: while this room looks like a storeroom of someone's basement, there's no obvious way up, right?

Xihirli
2023-02-26, 12:27 PM
No, but as you approach you see there's another door further along the wall nearest you.

Xihirli
2023-02-27, 11:20 AM
I’ve been a bit stuck in how to continue the scene since none of you speak Draconic but I’ve figured it out now.

Everyone miming, give me performance checks. If any one of you gets a critical failure though, it’s Initiative.

Bobthewizard
2023-02-27, 11:21 AM
Gorak's performance [roll0]

Valmark
2023-02-27, 12:06 PM
I think Yilverth will provoke a fight with this roll.

[roll0]

Huh. Quite the opposite it seems.

Xihirli
2023-02-27, 01:14 PM
Yyyyep, okay I’ll get something up once I’m done at work.

ahyangyi
2023-02-27, 11:18 PM
I feel I've rolled far more crit failures and crit successes than I should.

Perform: [roll0]

EDIT: yay, won't affect our established success

ahyangyi
2023-03-02, 10:53 AM
As a side note, is that altar Abadar's?

Recall Knowledge (Religion): [roll0]

Xihirli
2023-03-02, 11:18 AM
As a side note, is that altar Abadar's?

Recall Knowledge (Religion): [roll0]

It is. God of wealth and cities and laws and such. I'm also pretty sure the "Age of Lost Omens" is called that because he failed to return when predicted.

Valmark
2023-03-02, 01:01 PM
It is. God of wealth and cities and laws and such. I'm also pretty sure the "Age of Lost Omens" is called that because he failed to return when predicted.

*Aroden. Instead of returning the exact opposite happened and he completely disappeared from everywhere, leaving behind natural disasters. That and the fact that most prophecies stopped coming true altogether.

Iirc Abadar would be one of the most widespread gods, at least city-wise.

EDIT: My inner loot goblin is at odds with me not wanting Yilverth to look like a greedy bastard (since he wouldn't be one) xD

Bobthewizard
2023-03-02, 01:18 PM
Gorak won't stop anyone if they want to take the handful of silver coins.

Xihirli
2023-03-02, 01:42 PM
*Aroden. Instead of returning the exact opposite happened and he completely disappeared from everywhere, leaving behind natural disasters. That and the fact that most prophecies stopped coming true altogether.

Iirc Abadar would be one of the most widespread gods, at least city-wise.

EDIT: My inner loot goblin is at odds with me not wanting Yilverth to look like a greedy bastard (since he wouldn't be one) xD

Those names are too similar.
Thanks Valmark.

Valmark
2023-03-02, 01:52 PM
Those names are too similar.
Thanks Valmark.

Yeah, it helps that Abadar has a month dedicated to it (Abadaius) so it's easier to remember.

(Also playing the two Pathfinder videogames helps a ton with learning the more common lore).

Xihirli
2023-03-02, 01:54 PM
Abadaius

Nobody likes Abadaius.

davyjones
2023-03-02, 02:12 PM
The cat put in his two coppers' worth. (He's not a loot goblin by any means, but this is the god of wealth and rules; the rules of the puzzle were clearly stated, and wealth was the blessing. I think it'd be more of an insult not to take the full prize we earned. We can give the copper to the kobolds.)

Valmark
2023-03-02, 05:48 PM
Oh by the way was there anything written on the parchment in the chest?

Xihirli
2023-03-02, 07:04 PM
Reading it, it’s a scroll of magic missile.

Bobthewizard
2023-03-05, 11:04 AM
Are the green kobolds pointing their crossbows towards us, or pointing them out like they are protecting the blue scales? I can't tell if we are joining the green scales or going to kill them.

Xihirli
2023-03-05, 11:56 AM
When Adriel went down by himself, the green kobolds looked ready to kill on sight.
The blue kobolds have talked about them like they're on the same side, though. They certainly don't smell enough to be the "smelly lizards" they want you to kill.

davyjones
2023-03-06, 11:27 AM
Sorry for the silence. It was a rough weekend.

Valmark
2023-03-08, 07:55 PM
As an actual colorblind guy that was honestly pretty funny xD

Fun fact: Water elementals look like lizards in Pathfinder. Or at least have the sleek, sinous look. Hopefully it ain't them.

ahyangyi
2023-03-09, 04:59 AM
I am under the impression that the elemental chamber is lit, and the light extends to the passageway leading to it, right?

( yep, I'm considering extinguishing the torch to help with our stealth plan )

ahyangyi
2023-03-10, 01:19 PM
Rolling stealth here:
[roll0]

davyjones
2023-03-11, 09:47 PM
I just want to verify we're on a new round? Or are we on the same round as our failed diplomacy?

Xihirli
2023-03-11, 10:48 PM
New round indeed.

davyjones
2023-03-11, 11:35 PM
Thanks!

Tigerpaw DC 19 Fortitude +7
[roll0]

Valmark
2023-03-12, 07:33 AM
Fortitude!

[roll0]

Xihirli
2023-03-12, 05:54 PM
Reflex [roll0]+7

Xihirli
2023-03-12, 06:37 PM
Okay so we're gonna go a little nuts her and go full offense; 1 stride each and then 2 club attacks
[roll0]
[roll1]

Bobthewizard
2023-03-12, 06:48 PM
Does Tigerpaw's 8 damage already take into account the 3 resistance from Gorak's reaction?

Xihirli
2023-03-12, 06:57 PM
It does not; take 5.

davyjones
2023-03-13, 01:21 AM
5 damage noted. Will post next round actions tomorrow (Monday). :)

Valmark
2023-03-14, 08:13 AM
I'll try getting a post in sooner but I've got a fairly filled out schedule until the-day-after-wednesday because of family dinner and sport :v

davyjones
2023-03-14, 04:16 PM
Question: Do we need to make the Fortitude save each round, or just on that first round?

Xihirli
2023-03-14, 04:27 PM
Only when I requested it at the beginning there.

ahyangyi
2023-03-23, 01:05 PM
Is this chamber the same one as the one with four orbs? They sound a bit similar, but I'm not sure...

Valmark
2023-03-23, 03:26 PM
Yeah I'm suddenly kinda confused as well.

Xihirli
2023-03-23, 04:47 PM
No, starting from the chamber with the green kobolds, the mermaid room is west and the orb room is east .

davyjones
2023-03-30, 11:15 AM
Heh, did you somehow fly out to the Left CoastTM and read my notes from my last 5th Ed. campaign? I had a lair of kobolds caring for a trio of wyrmlings... :smallbiggrin:

(Of course, my players decided to negotiate with the kobolds, to get them to stop attacking the coastal fishing village, so they never actually met the dragons...)

Xihirli
2023-03-30, 06:30 PM
Hey, maybe you can all do that.

Xihirli
2023-04-04, 12:28 AM
Do we still have a Bob?

Bobthewizard
2023-04-04, 06:21 AM
Yes. Just got back from traveling and getting caught up at work. I'll get something in today.

davyjones
2023-04-06, 12:25 PM
Well done, Xihirli! That was hilarious!

Xihirli
2023-04-06, 02:14 PM
Thank you, I try.

davyjones
2023-04-09, 12:26 AM
Is the dragon the size of a humanoid, or more like a horse (or horse and cart, even)? (Just a general Medium, Large, Huge, etc., is fine. Want to get an idea for Tigerpaw's reaction.)

Xihirli
2023-04-09, 06:26 AM
Medium, but shorter than a human.

Valmark
2023-04-09, 04:37 PM
To be clear, how many kobolds in here right now?

Xihirli
2023-04-09, 04:54 PM
Not a one.

Bobthewizard
2023-04-12, 07:54 AM
Sorry if I just got us all killed.

Xihirli
2023-04-12, 08:04 AM
That’s Initiative. Gorak, feel free to roll Deception instead of Perception.

Bobthewizard
2023-04-12, 08:09 AM
That’s Initiative. Gorak, feel free to roll Deception instead of Perception.

Just subtract one from that, so 13.

Xihirli
2023-04-12, 08:30 AM
You get to pick, I’m not a monster.
I’ll have to wait until I can get home and charge my laptop to look at the dragon’s stats.

Bobthewizard
2023-04-12, 08:49 AM
Just stick with perception then. I don't think Gorak lied. He really wanted to know the dragon's intentions. When he heard them, though, he realized it must die.

Xihirli
2023-04-12, 09:00 AM
Only because its intentions were horrible.

Xihirli
2023-04-12, 05:14 PM
Dargon: [roll0]
Adriel: [roll1]
Yilverth: [roll2]

Xihirli
2023-04-12, 05:18 PM
Okay, Iruini's up first. He's going to breathe poison into Gorak's face and try to INTIMIDATE him.
Just Gorak for the fortitude save, Iruini doesn't Stride or Step for positioning. [roll0] fortitude against [roll1] poison.
And INTIMIDATE! [roll2] vs Gorak's Will DC of 15.

davyjones
2023-04-14, 09:15 PM
Sorry if I just got us all killed.

No worries. I figured it was very much in the paladin's character to confront the evil where it is. :)

Xihirli
2023-04-17, 01:12 AM
After work today I will update with an auto'd Yilverth.

Xihirli
2023-04-17, 03:47 PM
Yilverth is gonna Step into range and attack twice with his spear.

[roll0]; [roll1]
[SPOILER=Rollz][roll2]; [roll3]

Incidentally Valmark, thrown weapons don't add strength to damage unless they're Propulsive.

Xihirli
2023-04-17, 03:53 PM
Alright Dragon's gonna... in order:
2 actions:
Claw Gorak
Claw Tigerpaw
Tail Yilverth
1 action:
Bite Gorak

Gorak [roll0]; [roll1] slashing
Tigerpaw [roll2]; [roll3] slashing
Yilverth [roll4]; [roll5] slashing
Gorak again (it doesn't like you) [roll6]; [roll7] piercing and [roll8] poison

Valmark
2023-04-18, 06:43 PM
Sorry for the AFKing, my schedule's been screwed up as of late. I'm trying to work in a better rythm >.>

Also the question about the kobolds was definitely to see if we could murder the dragon, I'm fine with this outcome

Xihirli
2023-04-18, 08:07 PM
Yilverth won’t be able to flank unless Adriel wants to melee; Gorak and Tigerpaw are already flanking with each other.

Bobthewizard
2023-04-18, 08:25 PM
Yilverth won’t be able to flank unless Adriel wants to melee; Gorak and Tigerpaw are already flanking with each other.

I have 10' reach, so I could stand behind one of them so we can all flank.

Xihirli
2023-04-18, 10:10 PM
Wait, is that how that works?

To flank a foe, you and your ally must be on opposite sides of the creature. A line drawn between the center of your space and the center of your ally's space must pass through opposite sides or opposite corners of the foe's space. Additionally, both you and the ally have to be able to act, you must be wielding melee weapons or be able to make an unarmed attack, you can't be under any effects that prevent you from attacking, and you must both have the enemy within reach. If you are wielding a reach weapon, you use your reach with that weapon for this purpose.

Hmm, interesting. I suppose you can make like a flanking triangle, which makes enough sense, Flat_footed is just the inability to properly defend oneself, sound good sound good.

Interestingly, I wonder if you can flank with a minion by these rules, right? They can't take actions until someone else sacrifices some of theirs, so when it's not their turn they technically are unable to act unless something changes.
Irrelevant here though.

Valmark
2023-04-19, 12:56 AM
Yeah, flanking rules are basically the same as they were in PF1E/3.5, with the difference that Opportunity Attacks are an ability you need to take instead of something everybody does.

Coincidentally, Yilverth also has reach.

Also it's my understanding that minions can't tecnically flank but it's not intended. (https://www.reddit.com/r/Pathfinder2e/comments/11a7eym/update_are_minions_able_to_flank_outside_their/?utm_source=share&utm_medium=android_app&utm_name=androidcss&utm_term=1&utm_content=share_button)

Bobthewizard
2023-04-19, 06:01 AM
There's a good diagram explanation in the rules. https://2e.aonprd.com/Rules.aspx?ID=458

I don't think you can triangle flank a medium creature. The line has to cross opposite sides of the creature.

Valmark
2023-04-19, 07:01 AM
There's a good diagram explanation in the rules. https://2e.aonprd.com/Rules.aspx?ID=458

I don't think you can triangle flank a medium creature. The line has to cross opposite sides of the creature.

You can, though it's not actually needed. Assuming C are the flanking characters and M is the monster:

xxxxx
xxxCx
xxCxx
xxMxx
xxCxx
xxxxx

Ideally the upmost character, assuming they have reach, being one square behind moves the imaginary line to cross the opposite sides of the monster compared to the lowermost character.

As far as Yilverth, Tigerpaw and Gorak are concerned though we can more simply form a conga line with the dragon in between, because we have reach. In general I don't see a situation where you'd need that type of disposition.

Note: this becomes a lot more meaningful if we play on an actual grid against enemies with reach and AoOs, 'cause then you can't reposition freely.

Bobthewizard
2023-04-19, 07:33 AM
I meant without reach. With reach, you don't even need to triangle. You can all be in straight line. Without reach, you can only flank in pairs.

Valmark
2023-04-19, 08:11 AM
I meant without reach. With reach, you don't even need to triangle. You can all be in straight line. Without reach, you can only flank in pairs.

Oh yeah without reach agreed.

davyjones
2023-04-20, 11:42 AM
Going to spend my hero point to reroll the second flurry attack.
[roll0]

davyjones
2023-04-21, 11:15 AM
Forgot you can't preview your post if you have a roll in it. I deleted my post, and I'll repost when the 5 minute limit is up.

davyjones
2023-04-24, 10:54 PM
FYI, I'll be in Kansas City for the NFL Draft Wednesday through Saturday. I'll have my laptop with me, but I don't know how responsive I'll be while I'm there.

Valmark
2023-04-27, 06:55 AM
I've come down with a fever, still rising so if I disappear (hopefully only) a couple days it's because of that.

Xihirli
2023-04-29, 07:56 AM
We're getting pretty close to the end, starting Chapter "One" of the adventure path soon. I will probably make a new IC thread for it, if only so that I can spell the module correctly going forward.
Start thinking about level ups, I have decided yes on gradual ability scores, no on free archetypes. If you want an archetype you gotta spend a class feat.

ahyangyi
2023-04-29, 03:29 PM
Alright! That does simplify things for a first game ;)

Valmark
2023-05-02, 11:44 AM
Btw I'm back, I seamlessly transitioned from fever to allergy so it took some more time. Yay for level up!

Should we make a post with all the loot from the dungeon? Mostly so we can see how to divide it/make a general bank rather then everything individually looted and that's it.

Valmark
2023-05-02, 12:20 PM
Leveled up!

- Crown of Gozreh?
- Gold Ring
- Gleaming Sword
- 3 gold coins
- bead sized emerald
- scroll of magic missile
- 200 copper coins
- 5 silver
- Unknown amount of silver coins split with the kobolds
- 429 cp, 63 sp, and 18 gp
- large emerald
- 15 gold coins each

@Xi, can we know the amount of worth of the stuff in there? Does the 'gleaming' sword have anything special?

Xihirli
2023-05-02, 12:29 PM
Yeah, you can take some time on that.
I believe there was talk of returning the silver bowl. Don't know why you're calling it a crown. Do we want to rp that out?

The sword is just +1.
Bead-sized emerald can be sold for 5 gp, the larger, fist-sized one for 30.

Could you remind me where there was silver split with the kobolds?

Valmark
2023-05-02, 12:43 PM
Yeah, you can take some time on that.
I believe there was talk of returning the silver bowl. Don't know why you're calling it a crown. Do we want to rp that out?

The sword is just +1.
Bead-sized emerald can be sold for 5 gp, the larger, fist-sized one for 30.

Could you remind me where there was silver split with the kobolds?

Hey +1 sword. What kind of sword is it?
The silver in the crate meant for the dragon, we split it as payment for helping against the stinky lizards.

Yeah the bowl, didn't remember what it was. And yeah returning it is preferable, Yilverth will get on that as soon as I can post IC.

Bobthewizard
2023-05-02, 12:47 PM
Can we transfer the +1 rune to another weapon?

How much is the gold ring worth?

Xihirli
2023-05-02, 12:55 PM
Can we transfer the +1 rune to another weapon?

How much is the gold ring worth?

A: Yes, 4 gold and two long walks to Absalom to get the sword to and from a crafter. It's currently a short sword, what would you rather it be?

B: 10 gold coins.

I don't believe I ever gave an "unlisted" amount of silver and they put their offerings for the dragon in the crate you were carrying.

Valmark
2023-05-02, 01:13 PM
I can't find the amount of silver that was in the crate at the beginning with the four kobolds, which we split with them (or I guess we took it all if they gave it back to let us bring it to the dragon).

And tecnically the five silver coins from the Abadar riddle I made them up as a guess, the post says 'a handful'.

Xihirli
2023-05-02, 01:29 PM
Eight. One was fake, eight were real gold coins.

Valmark
2023-05-02, 01:44 PM
Eight. One was fake, eight were real gold coins.

No I meant the silver coins in the reward of the riddle!

ahyangyi
2023-05-02, 04:16 PM
I did a quick update to the character sheet (https://www.myth-weavers.com/sheet.html#id=2745437). Admittedly, not much to decide since we don't do free archetype now.

The items are not updated. I don't think I can even take that magic missile scroll, that's too arcane. Any suggestions about what items I should get?

( If the sorcerer just doesn't need items at this point, perhaps you guys can borrow money from me and buy what you need. I guess I need to buy a staff at level 3? )

Bobthewizard
2023-05-02, 07:12 PM
A: Yes, 4 gold and two long walks to Absalom to get the sword to and from a crafter. It's currently a short sword, what would you rather it be?

I'd like to keep his meteor hammer. None of us are INT based to do it ourselves, but I thought it should be easy to find someone to transfer runes in PF. Are we going to have to make 2 trips to Absalom every downtime?

Xihirli
2023-05-02, 07:19 PM
I mean it's not CRAZY far, half a day's walk. You also might meet NPCs who can help you more each time.

Valmark, things in the crypt: ABADAR’S BLESSINGS
The unlocked chest contains the blessing of Abadar. Inside is a pile of coins, a rolled-up piece of parchment, and a small glass box containing a single emerald. The coins consist of 214 cp, 22 sp, and 3 gp

Valmark
2023-05-03, 07:01 AM
224 cp 22 sp 30 gp
Magic Missile scroll

Assuming we sell the gold ring and the gems, this is the current total left minus the money for Yilverth's choice of clothing and the +1 rune on Gorak's weapon.

(I've not added to it the 15 gold each from Tamiri, that I assumed everybody would track it on their own sheet).

I guess we should also sell the scroll, I don't think anybody can use it unless we take an archetype into an arcane using spellcaster class.

ahyangyi
2023-05-03, 10:51 AM
Let's assume the scroll gets sold (for 2 gp), and convert the denominations:

36 gp, 4 sp, 4 cp.

EDIT: also, can I retrain a spell at leveling up?

davyjones
2023-05-03, 11:24 AM
Okay, I think I'm a bit lost on this thread.

I see that Gorak took the "gleaming sword" Tigerpaw was carrying for the party.

Beyond that, what are we selling off (small emerald, large emerald, other items) and what are we keeping? And what is the share we're each getting for it (beyond our 15gp each)?

And did you folks remember to include in the calculations the 19gp 63sp Tigerpaw grabbed from the dragon's lair (that he will obviously share with the others)?

Bobthewizard
2023-05-03, 11:39 AM

Beyond that, what are we selling off (small emerald, large emerald, other items) and what are we keeping? And what is the share we're each getting for it (beyond our 15gp each)?

And did you folks remember to include in the calculations the 19gp 63sp Tigerpaw grabbed from the dragon's lair (that he will obviously share with the others)?

I don't have to take the sword. If we pool some of our 15gp each too, we might have enough to buy another +1 rune, maybe 2. Whatever everyone wants to do is fine with me.

Valmark
2023-05-03, 11:48 AM

36 gp, 4 sp and 4 cp includes everything we got except the gleaming sword (which is gonna be a normal shortsword and someone is getting that +1 rune) and the bowl of Gozreh (and tecnically the very first crate of silver coins, which I haven't found the value of). Minus expenses already mentioned.

I figured we could just keep it as a kind of common bank of money, but if we want to split it up then it'd be 11 gp, 1 sp, 1 cp each and then anybody handles their own expenses.

Bobthewizard
2023-05-03, 11:49 AM
36 gp, 4 sp and 4 cp includes everything we got except the gleaming sword (which is gonna be a normal shortsword and someone is getting that +1 rune) and the bowl of Gozreh (and tecnically the very first crate of silver coins, which I haven't found the value of). Minus expenses already mentioned.

I figured we could just keep it as a kind of common bank of money, but if we want to split it up then it'd be 11 gp, 1 sp, 1 cp each and then anybody handles their own expenses.

+35gp in emeralds and 10gp for the gold ring

I recommend each of the monks gets a +1 weapon, and Adriel should pick up a few scrolls. Then we split anything left.

- Crown of Gozreh?
10gp Gold Ring
39gp Gleaming Sword (value plus cost to transfer)
3gp gold coins
5gp bead sized emerald
2gp scroll of magic missile
2gp 200 copper coins
0.5gp 5 silver
28gp 5sp 9cp - 429 cp, 63 sp, and 18 gp
30gp - large emerald
60gp 15gp each

Total = 180gp 9cp
/4 = 47gp 5sp 2cp

I'm spending mine on a +1 rune, a crowbar and two sets of manacles

Valmark
2023-05-03, 11:59 AM
+35gp in emeralds and 10gp for the gold ring

I recommend each of the monks gets a +1 weapon, and Adriel should pick up a few scrolls. Then we split anything left.
And this is why I shouldn't be doing math while at work. Well, work-unrelated math.

- Bowl of Gozreh
- Gold Ring 10 gold
- Gleaming Sword Shortsword+1, costs 4 gold to move the rune on another weapon
- 3 gold coins
- bead sized emerald 5 gold
- scroll of magic missile 2 gold
- 200 copper coins 2 gold
- 5 silver
- Unknown amount of silver coins split (unsplit?) with the kobolds
- 429 cp, 63 sp, and 18 gp 28 gold, 5 silver, 9 copper
- large emerald 30 gold
- 15 gold coins each

Somebody double check but it should be 81 gold and 9 copper, and 15 gold each.

Bobthewizard
2023-05-03, 12:06 PM
If you put a value of 39 gp on the sword (35 for the rune plus 4 to transfer), then everyone gets a total of 47gp, 5sp, and 2 cp, including the reward money.

I'm using mine to buy a crowbar, 2 sets of manacles, and transfer the rune (unless someone wants a +1 shortsword, then I'll just buy a rune)

davyjones
2023-05-03, 12:18 PM
Thanks.

The math is right, Valmark, before taking out the 4gp to transfer the rune. So, a final number is 77gp, 9cp (77 -/9) :smallsmile:

For magic items, Tigerpaw wouldn't necessarily need them. As a strict pugilist (his sling notwithstanding), his unarmed attacks become "magical" for the purposes of overcoming resistances at 3rd level, and he gets greater properties further down the line.

Do we want to pull 70 of that for two weapons (not leaving much for Adriel)? I'd say let's just go with a +1 weapon for Yil, if he wants one, and scrolls for Adriel. The rest of the coins can stay in a shared treasury (managed by the ethical champion).

davyjones
2023-05-03, 12:20 PM
Oh, and Tigerpaw is leveled up.

+12 to max HP
+1 to all proficiency-based attacks, skills, saves, and DCs
Dancing Leaf class feat
Natural Medicine skill feat

Bobthewizard
2023-05-03, 12:21 PM
Thanks.

The math is right, Valmark, before taking out the 4gp to transfer the rune. So, a final number is 77gp, 9cp (77 -/9) :smallsmile:

For magic items, Tigerpaw wouldn't necessarily need them. As a strict pugilist (his sling notwithstanding), his unarmed attacks become "magical" for the purposes of overcoming resistances at 3rd level, and he gets greater properties further down the line.

Do we want to pull 70 of that for two weapons (not leaving much for Adriel)? I'd say let's just go with a +1 weapon for Yil, if he wants one, and scrolls for Adriel. The rest of the coins can stay in a shared treasury (managed by the ethical champion).

The 77gp is after transferring the rune, so we could afford two more +1 runes. You could consider a rune on handwraps for the +1 to hit.

davyjones
2023-05-03, 12:41 PM
Let's let Adriel get his scroll needs handled first. If there's enough left over for a pair of weapons, then Tigerpaw will take the +1 handwraps. If not, Yil should get a +1 spear (and Tigerpaw can get handwraps later).

Bobthewizard
2023-05-03, 12:47 PM
Again, if we put everything in, including the reward money, each of us get 47gp, 5sp, and 2 cp. (Gorak takes 8gp and the sword).

I think +1 runes are 35gp, so each of the three of us could afford that, and Adriel would have 47gp to do what he wants. That's a lot of scrolls.

Valmark
2023-05-03, 01:48 PM
Again, if we put everything in, including the reward money, each of us get 47gp, 5sp, and 2 cp. (Gorak takes 8gp and the sword).

I think +1 runes are 35gp, so each of the three of us could afford that, and Adriel would have 47gp to do what he wants. That's a lot of scrolls.

I'm fine with this method as well.

Sounds good to actually tell the party what's in my level up:
+2 Con
Ancestral Weaponry (Elf)
Battle Medicine

Bobthewizard
2023-05-03, 01:50 PM
Gorak's:

+2 CON
Desperate Prayer (extra focus point 1/day)
Intimidating Glare

davyjones
2023-05-03, 02:01 PM

I'm good with that, too. So, Yil & Tigerpaw will each have 12 5/2 left over after the +1 runes are ordered and paid for.

Xihirli
2023-05-04, 07:51 AM
Nice, happy to see you all working this out.

I’ve been hit with a cold, but I’ll try to get the party up and going today.

ahyangyi
2023-05-05, 12:52 PM
Alright, I bumped CHA;
Feats:
Dangerous Sorcery
Intimidating Glare

New Spell:
Heal

Scrolls bought:
Heal *2, Pest Form, Mending, Helpful Steps, Ant Haul

Remaining money: 35 GP, 3 SP, 2 CP, feel free to borrow these til next level up.

Suggestions needed since I'm not entirely sure if these options are good.

If I could retrain for free at level up: probably change gale blast into something else -- still asking about this.

Xihirli
2023-05-05, 01:31 PM
Alright, I bumped CHA;

Remember, if you bump anything that's 18 or higher, it only goes up by one.

Xihirli
2023-05-05, 01:35 PM
If I could retrain for free at level up: probably change gale blast into something else -- still asking about this.

I'm going to say yes no matter what the rules are, but it would be good to know for sure.

EDIT:

As you gain new spells in your spell repertoire, you might want to replace some of the spells you previously learned. Each time you gain a level and learn new spells, you can swap out one of your old spells for a different spell of the same level. This spell can be a cantrip, but you can't swap out bloodline spells. You can also swap out spells by retraining during downtime.

You're good.

ahyangyi
2023-05-06, 03:08 PM
Remember, if you bump anything that's 18 or higher, it only goes up by one.

Ah... that's why everyone else's bumping CON... I guess I'll bump CON instead as well :)

Xihirli
2023-05-06, 10:18 PM
Yeah you probably want CHA as your 5th and 7th level picks

Valmark
2023-05-07, 10:13 AM
Ah... that's why everyone else's bumping CON... I guess I'll bump CON instead as well :)

That's my plan for Dex as well (that and the fact that I'm an elf and a melee with 10 Con).

ahyangyi
2023-05-07, 02:48 PM

That's the usual plan. But... since we are a five-level module AFAIK, bye-bye CHA ;)

For the spell swap, I'd grab Light, lest I hold the torch awkwardly again...

Xihirli
2023-05-07, 02:49 PM
That's the usual plan. But... since we are a five-level module AFAIK, bye-bye CHA ;)

For the spell swap, I'd grab Light, lest I hold the torch awkwardly again...

You make a good point.

Xihirli
2023-05-11, 03:24 PM
Thread 2 is up (https://forums.giantitp.com/showthread.php?656363-Troubles-in-Otari-PF2-Chapter-One-Fishing-for-Adventure).

Sorry for slowness, have a lot of work this week.

davyjones
2023-05-15, 11:49 AM
Is the croc nest the boat at B1, and the centipede net mess at B2?

Is the shed in question at B4? Or elsewhere? And in which window did we peer?

Xihirli
2023-05-15, 12:12 PM
Is the croc nest the boat at B1, and the centipede net mess at B2?

Is the shed in question at B4? Or elsewhere? And in which window did we peer?

Yes, yes, yes, and the window with the movement and foul smell was B3.

Xihirli
2023-05-18, 09:30 PM
My next IC post is going to give you everything else you can find out without triggering a combat.

Then I'll be asking you how much you want to clear out, so think about that, because I'm only going to be running some of them as a combat. Paizo didn't really consider how much of a slog combat is in PbP when making this adventure I think so since you don't have much of a time constraint I'm going to instead make clearing out the wildlife a skill challenge.

I'll get that up ASAP.

davyjones
2023-05-19, 02:34 PM
I like the skill challenges put forth. Very well done.

What is the time interval for each task? Does assisting speed up one or more tasks?

So, it looks like our skill challenge options are:

B1 Thievery or Nature.
B2 Nature or Survival.
B3 Stealth or Intimidate.
B6 Nature or Survival.
B8 Thievery or Perception.

Tigerpaw is trained in both Nature and Stealth (and Stealth is definitely the better of his two skills). He's probably best suited to destroy the creatures in B3, and at least assist on B1, B2, and B6 (depending on the TN).

Thoughts, team?

Xihirli
2023-05-19, 02:41 PM
I like the skill challenges put forth. Very well done.

What is the time interval for each task? Does assisting speed up one or more tasks?

So, it looks like our skill challenge options are:

B1 Thievery or Nature.
B2 Nature or Survival.
B3 Stealth or Intimidate.
B6 Nature or Survival.
B8 Thievery or Perception.

Tigerpaw is trained in both Nature and Stealth (and Stealth is definitely the better of his two skills). He's probably best suited to destroy the creatures in B3, and at least assist on B1, B2, and B6 (depending on the TN).

Thoughts, team?

Timeframe is gonna be based on rolls. You knock it out of the park, this’ll only take about a day. Roll around average, probably two days. Fail more than half and some of the denizens of the rooms that aren’t part of the skill challenge will notice you in a way you won’t like.

ahyangyi
2023-05-22, 03:29 PM
Ah, there's the discovery that not learning Guidance is a probably terrible mistake.

That said, thank RNG... These are crazy results...

Xihirli
2023-05-22, 11:33 PM
Valmark's reached out and informed me that he'll be back around Wednesday. On Thursday (in 2ish days) I'm gonna move us on with the rolls as they are, join in on the skill challenge if you want to help.

Xihirli
2023-05-23, 12:25 PM
Found a sign for you

https://i.redd.it/eoyioi0fz1q01.png

Bobthewizard
2023-05-23, 12:27 PM
Just follow the sign and don't mind us

https://i.imgur.com/k43G3R8.jpg

Valmark
2023-05-23, 02:03 PM
So basically I managed to post to fail a check.

Also also hey I guess crocodiles are a great surprise for would-be thieves :V

Bobthewizard
2023-05-27, 09:17 AM
Nice job on this Xhirli. It would have been a slog in pbp to roll out all those fights vs. beasts. I'm sure there are more interesting battles coming up.

Xihirli
2023-05-28, 07:30 AM
Thanks! I think the skill challenge was a quicker way to get through it, happy to see at least half of you liked it.

ahyangyi
2023-05-28, 12:01 PM
I was surprised by that wall of text at first, but I have to say that it's a good compromise for a PbP game.

As for the potency rune: someone please grab it! It's useful for anyone but me :smallbiggrin:

Valmark
2023-05-29, 02:41 AM
I'll grab the healing tools and antivenom if nobody wants it- I can grab the dagger too, though I think we all have a +1 rune so it could serve as a back-up weapon for Adrian?

Dunno how useful a magic weapon for casters is in this system.

davyjones
2023-06-02, 02:31 PM
Folks, I'm going to have to bow out. I feel like I've had a hard time trying to keep up with the game, partly due to RL responsibilities ramping up. I really enjoyed the game to date, and I hope you all the best going forward.

Bobthewizard
2023-06-02, 02:37 PM
Folks, I'm going to have to bow out. I feel like I've had a hard time trying to keep up with the game, partly due to RL responsibilities ramping up. I really enjoyed the game to date, and I hope you all the best going forward.

Sorry to see you go and hope to see you back sometime. It's been fun playing with you. Good luck with the RL stuff.

Xihirli
2023-06-03, 07:45 PM
Sorry to lose you, Davy. Well wishes.

Valmark
2023-06-05, 05:08 PM

I get that feeling. Sorry you gotta leave, it was fun to play with you!

ahyangyi
2023-06-22, 01:38 PM
Level up time!

ahyangyi
2023-07-02, 03:19 PM
Do we have more than two people?

Seems Valmark has been inactive on the forum for half a month...

Xihirli
2023-07-04, 04:40 PM
Half a month isn't... definitive but... yeah.

Always distressing and tough and... discouraging, losing activity and momentum this hard in a game.

What do people want to do? Other than limp along.

ahyangyi
2023-07-06, 02:28 PM
Perhaps stopping here is fine.
I remember seeing DMs recruiting people to rescue games; that seldom worked out well though.

But, perhaps we can also just play out that impossible battle, and die in glory :smallbiggrin:

Xihirli
2023-07-07, 09:10 AM
Yeah, in my experience by the time the rerecruitment is finished the other players have checked out either from the party dynamic shifting too much or from the time it takes to onboard.

Bob, what do you think?

Bobthewizard
2023-07-07, 09:17 AM
Stopping is probably best. I'm not skilled enough at PF2e to execute a 2 person campaign. If you want to recruit some more players, though, I'll still be here. How much farther does this campaign go?

Xihirli
2023-07-07, 05:27 PM
We were just about done with Chapter 1 of 5, would have gone to fifth level. Those kobolds were gonna come back, too.

Yyyyeah, I think we're stopping here. Sorry, all. I don't have the GMing skill for a 2 person campaign and don't recall rerecruitment working.

Bobthewizard
2023-07-07, 05:54 PM
Thanks for running this. Just curious, what are both of your thoughts on PF2e?

Xihirli
2023-07-08, 12:56 PM
I’ve been a monk in a short 1-3 adventure and loved it. I’m also running a semi-regular Strength of Thousands game that’s going really well. I definitely prefer it over 5th edition, where I feel like so much design work is left for the DM.
My favorite game is probably still MonsterHearts (a powered by the apocalypse game) but that one is such a specific system that does exactly one thing, also not the sort of game you’d play with randos.

I think the numbers get too big too fast, to be fully honest. There’s a variant role with no level to proficiency, I’d like to try that out. But that’s really more of a personal "wait, the monster’s AC is FORTY!?"
"Oh, but at the level you’re fighting it at your attack bonus is 28."
Than it is like an actual problem. It’s weird to look at.

I do think this will be my main heroic fantasy game going forward. I look forward to playing more of it and running more games.
Just maybe not Play-By-Post ones.

ahyangyi
2023-07-08, 01:20 PM
Stopping then. Thanks for the game! It was fun when it lasted.

I feel I need more experiences with PF2e to talk about it.

I feel it worked well at low levels, very tight, though perhaps at the expense of diversity. I expect options to expand and diversify at higher levels, but am also a bit annoyed that so many options seem to have a very short usefulness span (e.g., most of the battle form feats).