PDA

View Full Version : Gamer Tales I wanna DM again so badly [lighthearted rant]

Ionathus
2023-02-07, 03:14 PM
Tonight's session was going to be my first time DMing in a long time, and it got cancelled this morning - two of our players are sick.

I've been very spoiled for a very long time - near-weekly games for the past 5 years at this point. But the last time I was a DM1 was in May 2022, before we took a hiatus that I thought was only gonna last into mid-fall. I got very busy, players offered to step up and run some side campaigns and one shots, and it was a blast to get to relax and play a few adventurers. But I've discovered that I don't really enjoy being a PC nearly as much as I enjoy being the DM, and I'm losing my mind with the desire to get the adventure back on the rails.

Anyway, the side campaigns ballooned out and took up way more time than I expected, and we're picking up the main campaign two months later than I wanted to. I've been doing so much prep and I'm so excited to jump back in, I know everyone else is too. Running this game for these wonderful friends is one of my favorite things, and actively building this world and setting up the story for the PCs to tell gives me a creative outlet that I've been sorely lacking for, geez, most of a year at this point. Not having it to look forward to has been a real bummer recently.

Like the title says, this rant is very lighthearted. I'm just impatient and anxious, and having to wait one more week is nothing. But it was still frustrating, in a bad-luck nobody's-fault sort of way. Needed to blow off steam somewhere.

Thanks all for reading. Do y'all have any stories of getting to finally pick up a campaign again after way too long away?

1. Outside of a single Monster of the Week oneshot

animorte
2023-02-11, 08:23 AM
We had a good campaign going and there are still hopes of getting it back on, though it's been almost a year since then. A lot of the players were very inconsistent, which is why it went down in the first place. I suggested us running one-shots, rotating DMs, because we just wouldn't have more than three total players (1 DM, 2 PCs) show up most nights.

That eventually turned into us just branching out and playing other games (card/board/video games). It became game night instead of D&D night, but at least the consistent people are very close friends/family so the goal is really to have fun whatever we're doing.

DigoDragon
2023-02-11, 12:48 PM
Do y'all have any stories of getting to finally pick up a campaign again after way too long away?

Yeah, I have a campaign setting I created that was very successful many years ago. Not long back I was itching to go back to it with my current group and I did get to start something, but one of the players dropped out, complaining about 5e so it didn't hold together as long as I wanted since the story was driven by everyone's backstory.

Easy e
2023-02-15, 11:17 AM
Good on you! I hope it goes smashingly and delivers what you are looking for.

Normally, we hear the opposite problem on the boards about being a forever DM! Nice to see the reversal as the TT RPG world needs more people to GM.

Ionathus
2023-02-15, 01:53 PM
Thanks!

We managed to get that session in this week (I was terrified all of yesterday that someone would cancel again last minute). It was exactly as much fun as I remember. I'm over the moon to be back in the DM seat. Plus I've got a lot planned for the party in the coming sessions - exciting times are ahead!