PDA

View Full Version : Weapon with 19-20x3 crit?

Cuddly
2007-12-03, 01:36 PM
Are there any 3.x weapons with a 19-20x3 crit? If so, what book(s)?

Lolzords
2007-12-03, 01:45 PM

Uh, you could get an axe or a spear or something and get the improved critical feat , which puts the crit range at 19-20/x3, or, you could get an axe or a spear and make it a keen weapon (+1, I believe) which also gets the crit range to 19-20/x3.

Apart from that, I'm not aware of any.

Google might work better, here's the link: http://www.google.co.uk/search?hl=en&q=%2819-20%2Fx3%29&meta=

Kurald Galain
2007-12-03, 01:49 PM

I'm reasonably sure that none of those exist, because the design rule for crits is that they either give a better multiplier, or a better range, but not both.

Not counting effects that modify the base weapon, such as improving the range with Keenness, or the multiplier with charging.

Lord Tataraus
2007-12-03, 01:49 PM
Ghost Spike DR348, exotic double weapon, on end has 19-20/x2 and the other has 19-20/x3. That's it.

Dairun Cates
2007-12-03, 01:51 PM
Yes. It's a toothpick. It does 1d1-1 damage and sunders after one attack that does more than 1 damage from strength bonus.

On a more serious note, I don't think there is. The concept of a weapon with both those abilities on one weapon is somewhat inherently broken. Twice as many crits and 1.5 times the damage puts it well above most weapons even if it were doing a d4 of damage.

Mind you, if we're including magic weapons, then it's simply a matter of a keen greataxe.

If you're that desperate for such a potent weapon as mundane though, there were some custom rules in the homebrew section for creating weapons.

NEO|Phyte
2007-12-03, 01:53 PM
On a more serious note, I don't think there is. The concept of a weapon with both those abilities on one weapon is somewhat inherently broken. Twice as many crits and 1.5 times the damage puts it well above most weapons even if it were doing a d4 of damage.

Like the Legacy kukri that ends up with 15-20x4 for its crits?

Dairun Cates
2007-12-03, 01:55 PM
Like the Legacy kukri that ends up with 15-20x4 for its crits?

I'm going to guess that there's a typo involved here like the Naginata with the 19-30 crit range or some designer was drunk that week.

Edit: Also, I'm a bit fuzzy since I don't usually run D&D but isn't Legacy a non-mundane effect that's added onto a weapon? I'm assuming he's asking for mundane items with that effect.

NEO|Phyte
2007-12-03, 02:08 PM
I'm going to guess that there's a typo involved here like the Naginata with the 19-30 crit range or some designer was drunk that week.

Edit: Also, I'm a bit fuzzy since I don't usually run D&D but isn't Legacy a non-mundane effect that's added onto a weapon? I'm assuming he's asking for mundane items with that effect.

Its not a typo, its a +1 Keen kukri that has its multiplier improve to x3 and later x4 as part of its legacy abilities.

Legacy weapons are one-of-a-kind weapons that require specific rituals and personal sacrifices (HP loss, Attack & save penalties) to unlock their abilities.

Roderick_BR
2007-12-03, 02:24 PM
I read in some book that, as people pointed out, weapons give either a good multiplier, or a good threat. Only way to enhance it is with feats of magic.
The only weapons that breaks this rule are firearm, that have usually 19-20/x3 or better.
I think that info is in the DMG.

Aquillion
2007-12-03, 02:26 PM

Edit: Also, I'm a bit fuzzy since I don't usually run D&D but isn't Legacy a non-mundane effect that's added onto a weapon? I'm assuming he's asking for mundane items with that effect.You usually have to give up BAB to get a legacy weapon, so it isn't that amazing. I suspect that part of the increase counts as the weapon's "keen"-style critical increase, too, so other critical-enchancing effects don't stack with it.

Da Beast
2007-12-03, 02:28 PM
There's a weapon in the Eberron Campaign Setting with such a big crit I'm pretty sure it's a typo. I think it's 19-20/x4 or something equally ridiculous like that. The name escapes me at the moment and I'm away from my books.

fendrin
2007-12-03, 02:53 PM
There's a weapon in the Eberron Campaign Setting with such a big crit I'm pretty sure it's a typo. I think it's 19-20/x4 or something equally ridiculous like that. The name escapes me at the moment and I'm away from my books.

Talenta Sharrash, and it was indeed errata'd to 19-20/x2.

Fax Celestis
2007-12-03, 02:55 PM
You usually have to give up BAB to get a legacy weapon, so it isn't that amazing. I suspect that part of the increase counts as the weapon's "keen"-style critical increase, too, so other critical-enchancing effects don't stack with it.

You give up AB, not BAB. Subtle, yet important, difference.

EDIT: Also, I am having horrible, horrible visions of a Psychic Warrior/Psychic Weaponmaster who focuses on the kukri and has the Tiger Claw kukri. 13-20/x5 critical. Throw in two levels of Mythic Exemplar of Sunyarta for 12-20/x5 crits. Hooray!

Nattypat
2007-12-03, 03:29 PM
Look at Minotaur in the Monster Manual 4, there is a weapon in their section called Minotaur Greathammer. It does 1d12 damage and crits 19-20/x4. BEST WEAPON EVER! Sorry, just had to yell that last bit...

Mr. Friendly
2007-12-03, 03:37 PM
No mention of the Greathorn Minotaur Greathammer? 19-20/x4... well depending on who you ask...

Edit: Ninja'd by a a minute while I looked for a source...

RTGoodman
2007-12-03, 03:40 PM

As I was sadly disappointed to find out.

I had a whole Talenta halfling paladin planned out, riding his dinosaur and wielding the sharrash. Then I looked at the errata and was saddened...

Person_Man
2007-12-03, 03:50 PM
A Psychic Warrior/Psychic Weapon Master/Master Thrower using the Throw Anything Feat or a few levels of Bloodstorm Blade can end up with a (17-20)*6 weapon, or a (13-20)*4 weapon. Though its worth mentioning that its for a limited number of times per day. Most of the time you'll be wielding a (17-20)*5 weapon or a (13-20)*3 weapon.

Also, its important to note that improving your crit ability is mathematically usually a very inefficient way to improve your expected damage per round, even with special abilities and magic that only takes effect when you crit. In addition, a large number of enemies are immune to crits. So I rarely do anything to improve it beyond buying a scabbard of keen edges.

dr awesome phd
2007-12-03, 04:05 PM
Did they ever print the Khopesh? I remember seeing it in some obscure book and then later in DDO. It was a 1d8 19-20/x3, Exotic Weapon, naturally...

Don't know if it ever went official, but that might do it... assuming it has.

Cuddly
2007-12-03, 04:08 PM
A Psychic Warrior/Psychic Weapon Master/Master Thrower using the Throw Anything Feat or a few levels of Bloodstorm Blade can end up with a (17-20)*6 weapon, or a (13-20)*4 weapon. Though its worth mentioning that its for a limited number of times per day. Most of the time you'll be wielding a (17-20)*5 weapon or a (13-20)*3 weapon.

Also, its important to note that improving your crit ability is mathematically usually a very inefficient way to improve your expected damage per round, even with special abilities and magic that only takes effect when you crit. In addition, a large number of enemies are immune to crits. So I rarely do anything to improve it beyond buying a scabbard of keen edges.

My DM, for whatever reason, has decided a critical hit = auto hit. Soooo, you can see the appeal of having a wide threat range (err, automatic hit something range). Also, it's 3.0, where keen and improved critical stack. I also found a cool spell called spikes which doubles the crit range, and also stacks. The sword has to be wooden, but hey, that's what iron wood's for!

martyboy74
2007-12-03, 04:09 PM
Yes. It's a toothpick. It does 1d1-1 damage and sunders after one attack that does more than 1 damage from strength bonus.

Sadly enough, that weapon would be broken. Combine it with the Aura of Chaos from ToB, and you have an infinite damage weapon.

Lemur
2007-12-03, 04:27 PM
My DM, for whatever reason, has decided a critical hit = auto hit. Soooo, you can see the appeal of having a wide threat range (err, automatic hit something range). Also, it's 3.0, where keen and improved critical stack. I also found a cool spell called spikes which doubles the crit range, and also stacks. The sword has to be wooden, but hey, that's what iron wood's for!

The orc shotput from Sword and Fist is a 19-20/x3 ranged weapon. But if critical threats are auto-hits, then say hello to bladed gauntlets, also from S&F, which get a 17-20/x2 threat range right off the bat.

Da Beast
2007-12-03, 04:36 PM
Bladed gauntlets with levels in the Disiple of Dispator prc and improved crit for a threat range of 5-20 (I think). Then take the lightning mace style feat (extra attack when you threaten a critical) and enchant your weapons with that ability that allows you to treat them as any weapon for the purpose of feats (think it's called aptitude. Not sure about that or the source though). Now if only power attacking with gauntlets didn't suck so bad.

Lemur
2007-12-03, 04:45 PM
Bladed gauntlets with levels in the Disiple of Dispator prc and improved crit for a threat range of 5-20 (I think). Then take the lightning mace style feat (extra attack when you threaten a critical) and enchant your weapons with that ability that allows you to treat them as any weapon for the purpose of feats (think it's called aptitude. Not sure about that or the source though). Now if only power attacking with gauntlets didn't suck so bad.

If he's playing 3.0, all weapons PA at a 1:1 ratio, regardless of size. So there's no comparitive advantage to using a two hander except for a little extra strength bonus to damage. If you can pull off 5-20 threat, with either the disciple or that wood spell he mentions, you could power attack for full all the time with no real disadvantages. You could even TWF effectively without taking the feats (although if you wanted Imp TWF, you'd still have to spend the feats). Of course, all this might convince the DM that his houserule is absurd, and cause him to repeal it.

valadil
2007-12-03, 04:54 PM
Did they ever print the Khopesh? I remember seeing it in some obscure book and then later in DDO. It was a 1d8 19-20/x3, Exotic Weapon, naturally...

Don't know if it ever went official, but that might do it... assuming it has.

Pretty much every fighter type in DDO used a 'Pesh. The only ones that didn't chose not to because even though they were inferior, other weapons were more common since everyone else wanted a Khopesh.

Dairun Cates
2007-12-04, 03:59 AM
Sadly enough, that weapon would be broken. Combine it with the Aura of Chaos from ToB, and you have an infinite damage weapon.

Ah, but you're re-rolling 1d1-1 each time. So you'll just be rolling 0's for infinity.

Dhavaer
2007-12-04, 04:27 AM
Ah, but you're re-rolling 1d1-1 each time. So you'll just be rolling 0's for infinity.

The minimum damage for an attack is 1. So you'd still be doing infinite damage.

Nebo_
2007-12-04, 07:04 AM
View Post

Yeah, and of course you wouldn't even think of using one if you had a strength modifier...

The only weapon I can think of this the Orc Shotput from A&EG.

StickMan
2007-12-04, 08:12 AM

Well I looked it up and the Errata is wrong as far as Mr. Baker is concerned. In one of the Ask Keith Baker threads he was asked asked about it and said it should have a 19-20/x3 critical and said 19-20/x4 was a mistake. Honestly the weapon is very sub-par with out it, I don't see how it can be a 19-20/x2 weapon and still have users.

Person_Man
2007-12-04, 09:32 AM
My DM, for whatever reason, has decided a critical hit = auto hit.

Well, I imagine that if you try to break the crit rules even further, he'll probably change his mind. But at least you'll get a fun game session out of it.

Iku Rex
2007-12-04, 10:23 AM
Well I looked it up and the Errata is wrong as far as Mr. Baker is concerned. In one of the Ask Keith Baker threads he was asked asked about it and said it should have a 19-20/x3 critical and said 19-20/x4 was a mistake. Honestly the weapon is very sub-par with out it, I don't see how it can be a 19-20/x2 weapon and still have users.That's not what he said. http://forums.gleemax.com/wotc_archive/index.php/t-287579 . (Search for "Sharrash".)
Keith Baker: "I didn't create the original statistics for the sharrash, and I had no part in the errata."

Khosan
2007-12-04, 10:48 AM
The minimum damage for an attack is 1. So you'd still be doing infinite damage.

Does it actually say 1d1-1? Glossing over the SRD, it looks like it would just say 1-1, or 0 really. Since at that point you're not really rolling, would it still qualify for the infinite damage loop?

Cuddly
2007-12-04, 11:39 AM
Does it actually say 1d1-1? Glossing over the SRD, it looks like it would just say 1-1, or 0 really. Since at that point you're not really rolling, would it still qualify for the infinite damage loop?

A weapon always does one damage if it hits. And yes, even though the outcome is still one, rolling is still involved. For instance, a cat does 1d3-4 damage, or something, but with bull strength and other buffs, the 1d3 becomes important.

If he's playing 3.0, all weapons PA at a 1:1 ratio, regardless of size. So there's no comparitive advantage to using a two hander except for a little extra strength bonus to damage. If you can pull off 5-20 threat, with either the disciple or that wood spell he mentions, you could power attack for full all the time with no real disadvantages. You could even TWF effectively without taking the feats (although if you wanted Imp TWF, you'd still have to spend the feats). Of course, all this might convince the DM that his houserule is absurd, and cause him to repeal it.

Actually, we do get double power attack damage if using a two hander.
I thought about TWF without the feats, and using 3.0 monkey grip, and being a cleric, and not even bothering with proficiency, but we also play that a natural one on attacks mean you lose the rest of your turn, and the entirety of your next turn. So TWF is really, really not worth it.

StickMan
2007-12-04, 12:06 PM
That's not what he said. http://forums.gleemax.com/wotc_archive/index.php/t-287579 . (Search for "Sharrash".)
Keith Baker: "I didn't create the original statistics for the sharrash, and I had no part in the errata."

Your right but he did say

Q Originally Posted by Blizzard_Bobsan Keith, what should be the correct critical multiplyer for the Talenta Sharrash?

A I use x3. But I believe that the official errata will be out this month.

It had been awhile scene I've been reading the Wizards boards or playing eberron. I knew he had said something to the effect but was confused to the actual statement. Oh well you live you learn.