PDA

View Full Version : Monk Duel Subclass Open Hand + ?

Squash63
2023-02-07, 08:28 PM
I知 starting a new campaign soon and I知 exploring some options for my character. My DM has homebrewed Monks where every monk gets the Open Hand features along with their subclass features. I知 not very familiar with monks and was wondering if there are any interesting pairings to come from these rules.

RogueJK
2023-02-07, 08:44 PM
Most subclasses would work fine with Open Hand, with there being basically no conflict (with one important caveat). Open Hand mostly just takes what the Monk base class does and turns it up to 11.

But notice that Open Hand's primary ability "Open Hand Technique" is triggered by activating Flurry of Blows, and there are other subclasses that have abilities that are also tied to using Flurry of Blows, like Mercy's Hands of Healing and Flurry of Healing and Harm, or Drunken Master's Drunken Technique and Intoxicated Frenzy. Therefore, one of those two would be the most synergistic subclass to pair with Open Hand, with you spending 1 Ki to Flurry and then gaining the benefit of multiple subclass abilities for no additional cost.

For example, an Open Handy/Mercy Monk could spend 1 Ki to Flurry, and then use those two BA attacks to do all the following extra stuff for "free":

Heal yourself or an ally for MA dice+WISMOD HP, plus cure that person of a negative status condition
AND
Damage an enemy for MA Dice + DEXMOD unarmed damage, plus MA dice + WISMOD necrotic damage, plus Poison that enemy, plus shove that enemy 15 feet away or knock it prone or take away its Reactions

That's a heck of a bang for your buck with just 1 Ki point!

The important caveat is that I wouldn't pair Open Hand with the Ki-hungry Four Elements subclass, since you're going to want to be spending much of your Ki on Flurry to trigger the Open Hand stuff.

Frozenstep
2023-02-07, 11:27 PM
The important caveat is that I wouldn't pair Open Hand with the Ki-hungry Four Elements subclass, since you're going to want to be spending much of your Ki on Flurry to trigger the Open Hand stuff.

I'd throw in two more caveats on top of that. Monk subclasses like way of shadow have really good and often usable bonus action options competing against flurry, and subclasses like sun soul or kensei could stay at long range for the entirety of many fights and out of flurry range, depending on your playstyle.

Psyren
2023-02-08, 12:04 AM
I second Mercy as a solid option but my personal choice for this would be Astral Self. You'd be a bit more ki-starved at low levels, but there's a lot of synergy here - you can boost both your attack/damage and save DCs (vs. stun, shove, prone and sanctuary) simultaneously, you can do your Open Hand stuff 10 ft away, and at high levels you'd even have stronger defenses thanks to Deflect Energy and Sanctuary.

animorte
2023-02-08, 01:03 AM
I second Mercy as a solid option but my personal choice for this would be Astral Self.
That's literally exactly what I was going to say. You beat me to it. +1

CTurbo
2023-02-08, 01:04 AM
Long Death is my favorite Monk subclass so naturally that would be my answer.

I do think Mercy would be pretty cool too.

BoutsofInsanity
2023-02-08, 10:34 AM
I'm going to offer a couple of points that I think can help make a decision.

Like others have said, from a combat perspective, Way Of Mercy is going to double down on your Open Hand Flurry Synergy. If you know that you are going to be in lots of combat that's going to be one of the stronger choices you can make.

A different mix would be Long Death Monk as previously stated. It will allow you to also target Wisdom Saving Throws and apply the Fear effect to others around you. It also beefs you up with temporary hit points. It removes some pure combat ability and really adds some more control options to your impressive arsenal.

Lastly, in terms of utility nothing beats the Way of Shadow. It's one of the best Monk, nay subclasses in general for utility purposes at lower levels. If you know your game will have stealth checks, terrain, and other opportunities to use some solid utility spells and teleports this is THE option. Some tricks to the Way of Shadow.

Darkvision the spell lasts 8 hours. Cast it in the morning on your companions who lack darkvision and short rest for an additional hour.
Silence is obvious for how good of a spell that is
Darkness can shut down spell casters who rely on sight for spells. Hold Person for example requires a target. It hoses beholders completely.
Pass without Trace is the single best spell in the game at lower levels in terms of utility. Cast it 30 minutes before your party rests and walk to your campsite. It can be used offensively by casting it and using the hide action in combat provided there is cover and terrain to stealth around and assassinate. (Hide action and teleport with a bonus action in the dark.)
60 foot teleport if it's dim light or dark

Lastly the multi-class options are ridiculous. 2 levels or rogue for cunning action or 3 for your favorite rogue subclass. Go three levels of ranger, get some more spells, skills and grab the blind fighting fighting style for some true synergy. Combine it with the Gloom Stalker for some true synergy with Dread Ambusher and Umbral Sight and go to town in the dark.

Chronos
2023-02-09, 05:51 PM
Yeah, even if it is competing for your bonus action, Shadow just has way too much utility for me to pass up. At-will bonus action tactical teleports? Yes please. Pass without Trace, Silence, and Minor Illusion are always useful. And Darkvision and Darkness? Well, maybe not always, but still quite often.

The only reason I'd ever pass up Shadow Monk would be because of the opportunity cost of not taking a more combat-oriented subclass, and you've got that covered.

animorte
2023-02-09, 06:03 PM
I realize people are consistently discussing Shadow as "the best monk overall" (I agree, and Mercy) but is it strictly the best for making the most use out of pairing with Open Hand features?