PDA

View Full Version : Flexible Inventory Abilities?

Avigor
2023-02-08, 02:56 AM
Finding that I've forgotten something: how many abilities are there that let you retroactively buy mundane items that you had technically always been carrying in a pocket like a Schrodinger's Crowbar (for just one possible way it could be used)? I'm talking like Shade Hunter's from Champions of Ruin or the Packrat feat from Dragon 354's Wedded to History section. Are there more such abilities that I'm forgetting?
I know that extradimensional storage is a thing, but still I'm curious.

ShurikVch
2023-02-08, 03:18 AM
Would Menacing Brute PrC (Races of Destiny) with Resourceful Search CF fit the theme?

Ramza00
2023-02-08, 03:22 AM
Not 3.5 but the Pathfinder 3rd Party Spheres of Power has Retroactive Preparation.

Also there is the Psionic Power Call Item, 1st level can augment to 3 or 5 pp. non magic 10 / 100 / 1000 gp item appears out of thin air, lasts 10 mins per level but if you stop holding it for 2 rounds (10 second rule I guess) it disappears

Crake
2023-02-08, 03:23 AM
Pathfinder's Chronicler prestige class has it's deep pockets ability:

Deep Pockets (Ex)

A chronicler collects items as well as lore, picking up small amounts of this or that throughout her travels. As a result, she may carry unspecified equipment worth up to 100 gp per class level. This can be any kind of gear that can reasonably fit into a backpack, including potions and scrolls (but not any other sort of magic item). As a full-round action, the chronicler may dig through her pockets to retrieve an item she specifies at that time, deducting its value from the allocated amount of cost. This item cannot weigh more than 10 pounds. When the total remaining cost reaches 0, the chronicler can retrieve no more items until she refills her deep pockets by spending a few hours and an amount of gold to bring her total up to 100 gp per class level.

In addition, if she takes 1 hour to pack her gear each day, she gains a +4 bonus to Strength to determine her light encumbrance. This does not affect her maximum carrying capacity. The efficient distribution of weight simply encumbers her less than the same amount of weight normally should. Finally, the chronicler gains a +4 bonus on Sleight of Hand checks made to conceal small objects on her person.

D20 Modern also has a similar system, which is usable by all characters, called "On-Hand Objects" (p92 of the core rulebook)

On-Hand Objects

To account for the mundane and innocuous objects that most people have among their possessions, and not force every character to specifically purchase such objects in order to employ them use the following rules.

With the GM's permission, a character can make a Wealth check to see if he or she has a mundane object on hand, as long as the object has a purchase DC of 10 or lower. (The GM determines the purchase DC for an object that's not mentioned in this chapter, using similarly priced objects as a guide.) The Wealth check works the same as for buying the object, except that the character takes a -10 penalty on the check, and he or she can't take 10 or take 20. Also, a character can't make a Wealth check to see if he or she has a mundane object on hand during character generation or between adventures, only during play. If the character succeeds, his or her Wealth bonus is unaffected, even if the object's purchase DC is higher than his or her Wealth bonus.

Depending on the situation, the GM can rule that a certain mundane object is not available; for an object to be obtainable, the character must be in a place where the object logically would be.

pabelfly
2023-02-08, 03:40 AM
Not 3.5 but the Pathfinder 3rd Party Spheres of Power has Retroactive Preparation.

First-party Pathfinder has the Brilliant Planner feat, and Vigilante has the "Always Prepared" talent.

Avigor
2023-02-09, 04:28 AM
First-party Pathfinder has the Brilliant Planner feat, and Vigilante has the "Always Prepared" talent.
Thanks for the tips!

Pathfinder's Chronicler prestige class has it's deep pockets ability:

D20 Modern also has a similar system, which is usable by all characters, called "On-Hand Objects" (p92 of the core rulebook)
That PrC looks amazingly fun... I didn't even know it existed, definitely you have my thanks for revealing it to me!

Also there is the Psionic Power Call Item, 1st level can augment to 3 or 5 pp. non magic 10 / 100 / 1000 gp item appears out of thin air, lasts 10 mins per level but if you stop holding it for 2 rounds (10 second rule I guess) it disappears
Dunno about Spheres of Power, couldn't seem to find much beyond it's something I've not bought. The power seems like a less ethical variant of Creation spells/powers lol but it's the right vein at least (which stuff like Fabricate and the Creation line of spells tbh do count in this vein, the downside to all is that if one can't access extradimensional storage for some reason the creation line and call item power probably wouldn't work either and AMF can't be ruled out, or alternatively the party just lacks the resources for any of those as if they had them they'd just have the normal gear as-is).

Would Menacing Brute PrC (Races of Destiny) with Resourceful Search CF fit the theme?
Close but no cigar, as what I'm looking for is basically pulling a deus ex machina "oh yeah I have the perfect tool" moment without actually having literally everything on hand, while that is arguably close to a 5 finger discount without the risk of getting caught and would be used in prep, not in a dungeon or whatever.
Thanks, all!

StSword
2023-02-09, 04:58 AM
Little Red Goblin Games has the Adventurer (https://lrgg.fandom.com/wiki/Adventurer) class, they also have the Tome of Advanced Item Use (https://www.drivethrurpg.com/product/215526/Tome-of-Advanced-Item-Use) which includes the Sacred Smith class, whose schtick is crafting temporary items in one minute- So ropes and torches at low levels, custom made magic items at higher levels.

Vizzerdrix
2023-02-10, 08:04 PM
Shapesand. Always and forever shapesand 💛

Darg
2023-02-10, 09:16 PM
Shape Metal, Stone Shape, Wood Shape, and fabricate can be used to create items.

MaxiDuRaritry
2023-02-10, 10:58 PM
A psionic character with a psicrystal and metamorphosis (https://www.d20srd.org/srd/psionic/powers/metamorphosis.htm) (or any character with a minion and a psychoactive skin of proteus) can have pretty much whatever tool they need at the ready with a single standard action.

A warforged or other construct character (or, again, a psionic character with a psicrystal) and an item of alter self (https://www.d20srd.org/srd/spells/alterSelf.htm) (or one that can cast it themselves) can assume the form of any animated object within 1 size category of their normal form (or more, if they can change size) and at or under 5 HD, including those made from things like riverine, or obdurium.

A morphing/sizing weapon is a surprisingly versatile tool one can use, so long as they can repurpose a weapon for whatever job they have at hand. And a lot of objects that can be used as weapons are surprisingly helpful in that regard, especially if they can be sized and shaped however you want. A (non-tower) shield, for instance, can be used as a sled, a sledge, or a boat, or it can be wedged in a hallway by shifting it to the right shape and resizing it to fit really tightly between the hall's stones. And it can have spikes on the outer side, which discourages trying to shoulder tackle it down.

An item of summon instrument is likewise super-helpful, considering the wide variety of objects that can be used as instruments. A tree saw, for instance, can be used as an instrument, as can a row of glasses of water, or a steelpan (which can be used for most anything a steel bowl can help with).

Spell component pouches contain anything, so long as it is usable as a material component, and given that fabricate alone can be used on literally any nonmagical, nonliving substance...

Chronos
2023-02-11, 10:07 AM
A weapon of summon instrument is likewise super-helpful, considering the wide variety of objects that can be used as instruments. A tree saw, for instance, can be used as an instrument, as can a row of glasses of water, or a steelpan (which can be used for most anything a steel bowl can help with).
One of the last 3.5 characters I played was a bard, in a group that houseruled cantrips to be at-will. I used summoned instruments for so much other than music. I think my favorite was, before jumping down a pit of unknown depth, I dropped a bunch of bagpipes down it first to cushion my fall.

Darg
2023-02-11, 10:33 AM
One of the last 3.5 characters I played was a bard, in a group that houseruled cantrips to be at-will. I used summoned instruments for so much other than music. I think my favorite was, before jumping down a pit of unknown depth, I dropped a bunch of bagpipes down it first to cushion my fall.

I hope you inflated them.

daremetoidareyo
2023-02-11, 10:42 AM
Shadow smith 3 from ToM can just yoink stuff from the shade

Crake
2023-02-11, 11:28 AM
I feel like a lot of these suggestions arent really matching the OP’s request. Creating items with spells isnt at all thematically the same as having an ability which lets you retroactively have the item on hand.

MaxiDuRaritry
2023-02-11, 12:19 PM
I feel like a lot of these suggestions arent really matching the OP’s request. Creating items with spells isnt at all thematically the same as having an ability which lets you retroactively have the item on hand.They're functionally the same thing from a mechanical standpoint. And your character could always make like they'd had it the whole time.

*Casts summon instrument. Drops the result on the goblin leader's head from above.*

"Wait, where'd you get that giant anvil from?"

"Oh, I had it in my pocket the whole time. Weren't you paying attention?"

"...Apparently not."

(Anvils can totally be used as instruments. (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-rMuw4I9dS4))

Crake
2023-02-12, 01:21 AM
They're functionally the same thing from a mechanical standpoint. And your character could always make like they'd had it the whole time.

Well, they aren't. They're functionally the same thing from an outcome standpoint. One, however, does not work in an AMF or dead magic zone. It also does not work when you are out of resources for the day.

The theme of the abilities requested is having an uncanny ability to have prepared for a situation they didn't know about, from an in universe perspective, it's a pre-emptive ability, vs casting a spell to create the item, which is a reactive ability.