PDA

View Full Version : Godblooded Template

Stycotl
2007-12-03, 02:06 PM
this is a template made for those in my campaign who are beginning the rocess of becoming a supernatural entity. the campaign is set in a medieval environment, with a different planar cosmology than in normal D&D.

i am still open to suggestions as to the specific abilities and stuff, but i want to kee it simple, and low LA.

Godblooded

The Immortals is what they are known as, the scions of the 12 gods tied to the planes. Godblooded creatures carry the essence of divinity in them, though most are corrupted and dark now. The immortals used to be the moral pillars of the worlds, righteous and charismatic, beloved by the masses. They used to stand for balance and reason. That was before the falling away of most of the gods, the Blight. Too many of them now stand for villainy and politics, treachery and vice.
Long ago, in the earliest ages of the planes, humanity had reached an apex of devotion to the divine powers that surrounded them, and all of creation was in balance. The gods gave a part of themselves to the masses that resided on the earth. Many of the greatest minds and greatest hearts were imbued with great strength, with the lifeblood of the gods. Throughout the centuries, this godfire has become a legacy passed down from generation to generation, though there has been the rare man or woman who has been granted with the gift more recently. This power became known as the godfire, and became the source behind all magic and supernatural forces throughout the planes. The godfire was a medium of enlightenment, refinement, and exploration. It was meant to bring ascension to the throngs of mortal disciples.
The godfire changes its vessel, shaping the body and the mind to match the heart and soul within. Followers of the gods of nature very often manifest abilities related to nature and the elements. Scions of the goddess of war become angels of protection and engines of destruction, warriors without peer.
The changes are never the same for any two immortals, though there are groups of similar beings, such as the seraphs that follow the god of life and creation.
Occasionally there is an immortal that has shied away from the godfire burning within him, who has tried to smother the flame and hide from the call of divinity. Those creatures generally have no supernatural abilities or gifts other than this template. Such individuals are often chronically depressed and miserable as they constantly deny the instincts and desires of their soul.

Godblooded is in most cases an inherited template that can be added to any mortal (all humans in my campaign) to create an immortal, or one of the otherrealmers (those who were created by the mingling of divine influence and the energy of the remotest realms of the planes and were never human to begin with). This template is not really meant to provide special abilities, physical transformations, and magical aptitudes in and of itself, but is meant to bridge the gap between the completely supernatural-free world of humanity, and the magic of the planes. Therefore, humans (or once-humans) who are godblooded, generally have levels in spellcasting classes, manifesting classes, or other classes that exhibit supernatural abilities and transformations, or have templates or monster levels that provide similar powers and forms.
This template is then a base for the creation of a truly exotic and mysterious creature.

A godblooded or ‘immortal’ creature uses all of the base creature’s statistics and abilities except as noted here.

Size and Type: A godblooded creature remains the same size and type, but gains the Extraplanar subtype.

Special Qualities: A godblooded creature retains all of the special qualities of the base creature, and gains the following special abilities.

Mantle of the Disciple (Su): A godblooded creature gains a +2 profane or sacred bonus to all saving throws. Creature’s alignment determines what type of bonus it is; neutral creatures can choose between the two.

Abilities: A godblooded creature gains a +4 bonus to Charisma.

Feats: A godblooded creature automatically gains the Leadership feat and a +2 to his leadership score, whether or not it qualifies for the feat.

Challenge Rating: +1

Level Adjustment: +1

Blue_C.
2007-12-03, 02:35 PM
I like the fluff text, first of all. The template itself is simple, easy to apply, though probably not so simple to adjudicate at the game table, since you are opening cohorts to third level characters, maybe even second level if you're willing to allow an adept or expert cohort.

There is nothing in the rules against an odd number ability bonus. However, there is a reason professionally published templates don't do it. You might want to think about it. Going with a full +4 bonus will more than likely keep you in the LA +1 range.

Stycotl
2007-12-03, 02:42 PM
true about the ability scores. i am going to change it to +2

leadership: i did want to open it up to lower levels, specifically for the aforementioned immortals who had rejected their heritage and hidden in the shadows of mediocrity. they still cannot escape the eyes that are drawn to them when they walk in a room, or those who come to them seeking a solution to the problems of the world.

Blue_C.
2007-12-03, 03:30 PM
true about the ability scores. i am going to change it to +2
I think you should go +4, to be honest.

At the higher levels, you are giving up an extra Wish or Miracle a day for this template. At lower ones you are giving up critical HP and class abilities, all for what? A wingman and a save bonus, not too mention the mother of all plot hooks? "Yes, we're going to rework reality around you. Don't worry, it's only going to pinch for a second."

The +4 will mean that classes such as sorcerer, paladin, warlock, the ones you want most to take this template, will yearn for it. If you really think it best to have it +2, I'd suggest adding some bonus hp too.

Stycotl
2007-12-03, 05:00 PM
good point- +4 sounds good. thanks for the suggestions. aaron out.