PDA

View Full Version : [IC] Troubles in Otori PF2

Xihirli
2023-02-08, 03:59 PM
The small seaside town of Otari is known for its fresh fish and skilled sailors, but above all, it’s a big logging town, providing valuable wood to the nearby metropolis of Absalom. But for you, Otari is can be home. You grew up playing on the docks, getting lost in the nearby woods ,and hearing the fantastical stories of travelers from faraway lands, tales of terrifying dragons and virtuous knights.
Such adventure always seemed so distant—until today!
Word has begun to spread around Otari that there’s a problem down at the Otari Fishery. Some are saying that some sort of beast is lurking in the basement, feeding on the stores of salted fish. Folks are worried that whatever is eating the fish might get
hungry enough to eat the fishers next!
You’ve received a letter from Tamily Tanderveil, the owner of the Fishery. Inside is a desperate plea for help. With the town guard busy protecting the loggers, she needs a few brave souls to venture down into the basement of her warehouse and put an end to the beast that’s feasting on her fish! Do you have the courage to face the menace under Otari?

Regardless of all of your reasons for being here, you know the fishery to be one of the largest sources of fish for those who live outside of town – there are many people who fish, but not so many with the means to refrigerate so many. Even if the fish thefts don't escalate, the large volume of missing food will hit the town hard, and if this shop is abandoned then one of the best storage facilities for frozen fish will be cone.
Tamily Tanderveil is fretting about, wiping off clean tables and looking down toward her basement doors when our heroes begin to enter.
What do Tamily – and your fellow heroes – see?

Valmark
2023-02-08, 06:09 PM
Yilverth entered the shop with a shifty look on his eyes, faces mostly covered by his hood. The town had been good with him, a complete stranger who mostly refused to talk about where he had come from, and still took him in so this was the least he could do to repay them.

He looked lightly built, carrying a spear that resambled a tree branch with sharp leaves- his hair fell down out of the hood, long enough to almost reach his hips, and his green eyes lightly shone the color of grass in the shadow. Most of his body was hidden -not particularly well- but what emerged revealed thin limbs clad in thight clothing. The skin of the lower half of his face betrayed his young age, and so did his voice.
"Otari Fishery, right? I, uh, heard you needed help"

Bobthewizard
2023-02-08, 06:13 PM
https://i.imgur.com/9GOxqIu.jpg
Gorak (https://www.myth-weavers.com/sheet.html#id=2754598)
Orc Champion 1
AC: 18 HP: 24/24
Perc: +3 Fort: +7 Ref: +4 Will: +5
Focus: 1/1, Conditions: none

A very large, serious-looking orc walks into the fishery, rattling with chains. His armor is made of chains and he carries a thick chain rolled like a sailor's rope in his left hand, with the tips of his enormous fingers holding the 6" ball of steel that's attached to the end of the chain. He carries the ball and chain with him everywhere. He says it is to remind him of the chains of oppression felt by the poor, and to help him remember to try to help people whenever he can.

And that is why he is here. He heard that Tamily needed help, so he was the first to volunteer. His initial serious expression gives way to a wide, friendly smile, his large tusk-like teeth still extruding from behind his lower lip.

“Hi Tamily. It's good to see you. Maybe I can help look into whatever is eating the fish.”

He then notices the thin elf in the room, and addresses him in his typical deep, booming voice, that somehow seems soothing now, but can seem scary to some people at others times. "Tilverth is it? I've heard of you. Only good things. I'm Gorak. I grew up here. Went away for a few years to train with the Absalom guard, and now I'm back, trying to find a way to best help out. It's very nice to meet you. You're here to help too? That's great."

Tamily Tanderveil, fishery stores

davyjones
2023-02-09, 01:10 PM
The third entrant into the fishery makes little sound, whiskers twitching with delight at the scent of their owner's favorite food. Dressed in loose-fitting trousers and shirt, a thin red kaftan over them, and simple wraps on hands and paws, Gestembar Tigerpaw was every bit the aesthetic he appears to be. A wanderer by nature, the catfolk tom known to others only as Tigerpaw nevertheless has found himself a resident of this fishing and logging town for nearly a full season for reasons he has not yet discerned himself. Perhaps it's because the people here have been welcoming to the strange ebon-furred "panther man" (an affectionate epithet given to him by a child). Or, there has been plenty of opportunity to earn his upkeep in the many fighting pits along the shore. Or, it's because the alehouses and inns cook up the best seafood dishes he's ever tasted, and that's something worth sticking around. Or, like the towering holy warrior ahead of him, Tigerpaw sees a place where he can help people. Perhaps it's all of these things.

Or, perhaps another reason, one not yet revealed to him, keeps him anchored to Otari.

"Among others," he says amicably in response to Gorak's question to the shadowy elf. Tigerpaw isn't certain what to make of Yilverth; a foreigner like himself, Yilverth hides himself behind the hood of his cloak, letting little light in. The aesthetic wonders what secrets are hidden within that hooded darkness that he must choose to hide his face, as well. Still, the elf has given him no reason to distrust him, and that he's also come to Tamily's aid gives Tigerpaw hope that there's a light somewhere under that hood.

When the orc spies him, the pugilist adds, "Good to see you again, Gorak." Their paths have crossed more than a few times since Tigerpaw's arrival on the island, and they've even engaged in occasional debate on the gods and shrines both manmade and natural, though the tom would admit the paladin's knowledge of the pantheon is much greater than his own. He finds the Laborer's Bastion disciple to be forthright, if sometimes blunt, and a positively good man; that Gorak is here to answer Tamily's cry for help is no surprise.

Tigerpaw is ebon-furred, with ritual lines of white traced around his face, head, and arms. He has green eyes and pantherine features. His clothing is loose and flowing, with a simple set of linen-colored shirt and trousers covered by a red kaftan. He wears hand wraps and footwraps in public.

He doesn't use his chosen name, Gestembar, in public, going only by his title Tigerpaw. While he's not opposed to sharing his chosen name, no one on the island has yet to earn that honor.

ahyangyi
2023-02-09, 04:49 PM
Adriel (https://www.myth-weavers.com/sheet.html#id=2745437)
Human(Sylph) Sorcerer 1
AC: 16 HP: 15/15
Perc: +4 Fort: +4 Ref: +6 Will: +6

Adriel came to Otari mostly for some cozy time, but then he felt too idle and started doing various jobs and helped people in need. Perhaps that’s why he received the letter as well.

His black hair seems always flowing; other than that, he looks like a Qadiran young man, dressed in the kind of practical (read: poor) traveler's outfits, in typical Absalom style, with a sky-blue cloak for coolness.

He's the fourth guy entering the fishery. "Tamily, please rest assured, I'll help as much as I can."

Otari is large enough that even a native person can't feasibly know everyone, let alone a traveler. That said, the elf, the orc and the catfolk aren't the average townsfolk, they are the kind of people who also received the letter, after all. Adriel haven't seen them before, but heard their names from various sources, "You are Gorak, Tigerpaw, and Sylverth... uh, Yilverth? right? I am Adriel, traveler from Absalom. You all look like trustworthy companions, and I'll prove my worthy as well."

davyjones
2023-02-09, 06:24 PM
"Tamily, please rest assured, I'll help as much as I can."

The aesthetic turns an ear toward the new arrival, then shifts his stance to face both him and the others and gives the black-haired fellow a polite nod.

Otari is large enough that even a native person can't feasibly know everyone, let alone a traveler. That said, the elf, the orc and the catfolk aren't the average townsfolk, they are the kind of people who also received the letter, after all. Adriel haven't seen them before, but heard their names from various sources, "You are Gorak, Tigerpaw, and Sylverth... uh, Yilverth? right? I am Adriel, traveler from Absalom. You all look like trustworthy companions, and I'll prove my worthy as well."

Tigerpaw's eyes close partially and his ears perk forward as he's happy to put a face to a name he's heard here-and-there. "If your capability is anywhere close to the praise I hear on people's lips at the mention of your name," he says, "I have no doubt you are at least as worthy as the rest of us." He then attempts to widen the corners of his mouth into his best approximation of a furless smile, although he's uncertain if the result matches his intent...

Xihirli
2023-02-09, 06:49 PM
The one-legged halfling proprietor, ever bubbly and welcoming, greets each of you in turn.

Yilverth entered the shop with a shifty look on his eyes, faces mostly covered by his hood. The town had been good with him, a complete stranger who mostly refused to talk about where he had come from, and still took him in so this was the least he could do to repay them.

He looked lightly built, carrying a spear that resembled a tree branch with sharp leaves- his hair fell down out of the hood, long enough to almost reach his hips, and his green eyes lightly shone the color of grass in the shadow. Most of his body was hidden -not particularly well- but what emerged revealed thin limbs clad in tight clothing. The skin of the lower half of his face betrayed his young age, and so did his voice.
"Otari Fishery, right? I, uh, heard you needed help"

"Yilverth, I'm so glad you got my letter! Yes, thank you. I've heard a lot about you, happy to finally put a face to the name. I hope helping me doesn't take up too much of your time not being around other people." She smiles, that full halfling smile that shows she means no harm.

Orc Champion 1

A very large, serious-looking orc walks into the fishery, rattling with chains. His armor is made of chains and he carries a thick chain rolled like a sailor's rope in his left hand, with the tips of his enormous fingers holding the 6" ball of steel that's attached to the end of the chain. He carries the ball and chain with him everywhere. He says it is to remind him of the chains of oppression felt by the poor, and to help him remember to try to help people whenever he can.

And that is why he is here. He heard that Tamily needed help, so he was the first to volunteer. His initial serious expression gives way to a wide, friendly smile, his large tusk-like teeth still extruding from behind his lower lip.

“Hi Tamily. It's good to see you. Maybe I can help look into whatever is eating the fish.”

He then notices the thin elf in the room, and addresses him in his typical deep, booming voice, that somehow seems soothing now, but can seem scary to some people at others times. "Tilverth is it? I've heard of you. Only good things. I'm Gorak. I grew up here. Went away for a few years to train with the Absalom guard, and now I'm back, trying to find a way to best help out. It's very nice to meet you. You're here to help too? That's great."

"Gorak! Come here, ya old softie!" She hobbled over on her bright red peg leg, one of several she owned, and gave the orc a hug as best she could. "When I heard you were back in town I thought to myself; I thought 'self, there's an upstanding young gentleman who'd help out."

The third entrant into the fishery makes little sound, whiskers twitching with delight at the scent of their owner's favorite food. Dressed in loose-fitting trousers and shirt, a thin red kaftan over them, and simple wraps on hands and paws, Gestembar Tigerpaw was every bit the aesthetic he appears to be. A wanderer by nature, the catfolk tom known to others only as Tigerpaw nevertheless has found himself a resident of this fishing and logging town for nearly a full season for reasons he has not yet discerned himself. Perhaps it's because the people here have been welcoming to the strange ebon-furred "panther man" (an affectionate epithet given to him by a child). Or, there has been plenty of opportunity to earn his upkeep in the many fighting pits along the shore. Or, it's because the alehouses and inns cook up the best seafood dishes he's ever tasted, and that's something worth sticking around. Or, like the towering holy warrior ahead of him, Tigerpaw sees a place where he can help people. Perhaps it's all of these things.

Or, perhaps another reason, one not yet revealed to him, keeps him anchored to Otari.

"Among others," he says amicably in response to Gorak's question to the shadowy elf. Tigerpaw isn't certain what to make of Yilverth; a foreigner like himself, Yilverth hides himself behind the hood of his cloak, letting little light in. The aesthetic wonders what secrets are hidden within that hooded darkness that he must choose to hide his face, as well. Still, the elf has given him no reason to distrust him, and that he's also come to Tamily's aid gives Tigerpaw hope that there's a light somewhere under that hood.

When the orc spies him, the pugilist adds, "Good to see you again, Gorak." Their paths have crossed more than a few times since Tigerpaw's arrival on the island, and they've even engaged in occasional debate on the gods and shrines both manmade and natural, though the tom would admit the paladin's knowledge of the pantheon is much greater than his own. He finds the Laborer's Bastion disciple to be forthright, if sometimes blunt, and a positively good man; that Gorak is here to answer Tamily's cry for help is no surprise.

Tigerpaw is ebon-furred, with ritual lines of white traced around his face, head, and arms. He has green eyes and pantherine features. His clothing is loose and flowing, with a simple set of linen-colored shirt and trousers covered by a red kaftan. He wears hand wraps and footwraps in public.

He doesn't use his chosen name, Gestembar, in public, going only by his title Tigerpaw. While he's not opposed to sharing his chosen name, no one on the island has yet to earn that honor.

"Tigerpaw, always lovely to spot you and as soon as I can manage it, I've got a special dish in mind just for you." The halfling backs off of the orc and

Adriel (https://www.myth-weavers.com/sheet.html#id=2754598)
Human(Sylph) Sorcerer 1

Adriel came to Otari mostly for some cozy time, but then he felt too idle and started doing various jobs and helped people in need. Perhaps that’s why he received the letter as well.

His black hair seems always flowing; other than that, he looks like a Qadiran young man, dressed in the kind of practical (read: poor) traveler's outfits, in typical Absalom style, with a sky-blue cloak for coolness.

He's the fourth guy entering the fishery. "Tamily, please rest assured, I'll help as much as I can."

Tamily gets a little starry-eyed looking up at the sorcerer. She gets her bearings and says; "Sorry about that, I've only really heard about you, didn't know you were a looker. Anyhow, I'm very grateful to all of you for coming down here. The problem's down there," she points to the basement door. "First thing I saw were a bunch of giant rats, and I didn't keep looking after; hopefully you can understand why. But I get this feeling down in my broken femur," she pats her leg right where it becomes a peg.
"That there's something bigger down there."

Valmark
2023-02-09, 07:36 PM

"Yilverth, yes" the elf broke into a shy smile "I'll try my best, though it may not be much" he was about to add more, but then got worried about oversharing, and then someone else came in.

All of his probably allies made Yilverth feel more sure of himself. The three of them looked like an impressive bunch, one way or the other.

"Ah, nice to meet you. Don't- I mean, you shouldn't overdo it though I believe, that you're here is already proof of your ability" well that or any of them was the culprit trying to make sure the others fail, but it sounded very far-fetched at the moment.

"Yilverth, I'm so glad you got my letter! Yes, thank you. I've heard a lot about you, happy to finally put a face to the name. I hope helping me doesn't take up too much of your time not being around other people." She smiles, that full halfling smile that shows she means no harm.

Tamily gets a little starry-eyed looking up at the sorcerer. She gets her bearings and says; "Sorry about that, I've only really heard about you, didn't know you were a looker. Anyhow, I'm very grateful to all of you for coming down here. The problem's down there," she points to the basement door. "First thing I saw were a bunch of giant rats, and I didn't keep looking after; hopefully you can understand why. But I get this feeling down in my broken femur," she pats her leg right where it becomes a peg.

"I... Heh" Yilverth chuckled at her words "I'm sure I can catch up on that when we're done here"

"How giant?" Yilverth inquired after they were done with the greetings "And how big is the basement? Any chance you had the opportunity to see how many there are?"
He didn't ask about the bigger something, since it clearly looked like she didn't know what it was.

Bobthewizard
2023-02-10, 02:50 PM
Orc Champion 1

Gorak bends down and awkwardly hugs Tamily, careful not to squish the tiny woman.

"Great to see you too. How's the Tamily family doing? Any idea what this bigger thing might be?"

Gorak looks around at the assembled crew. He definitely stands out in this group, being the only one wearing armor or carrying any kind of real weapon.

"I would say that you all don't seem all that prepared, but I've seen Tigerpaw in the fighting rings, and assume that you are competent since you volunteered to help."

He looks to Yilverth and Adriel,

"Do the two of you prefer brawling or bewitching? You are welcome to go first or last. Either way, shall we go see what we can find?"

Once everyone is ready, he starts for the stairs.

Xihirli
2023-02-10, 04:31 PM
"I saw two. They were uh... about wolf sized, I'd say? Bigger than me, that's for certain!"

Upon being asked about her family, Tamily crossed her fingers. "Here's hoping it stays just me, yeah?"

ahyangyi
2023-02-10, 04:34 PM
Human(Sylph) Sorcerer 1
Focus: 1/1, Spells: 3/3, Conditions: none
Holding a shield

"Ah, nice to meet you. Don't- I mean, you shouldn't overdo it though I believe, that you're here is already proof of your ability"

[TABLE][TR]

"Do the two of you prefer brawling or bewitching? You are welcome to go first or last. Either way, shall we go see what we can find?"

"Bewitching, but the straightforward kind. Still, I could use some distance and cover, I'd go last." Adriel answers, his tone sounds as if going last was a very courageous action.

Adriel smiles, "Thank you" as he receive the compliments. Then he focuses to the trouble, "Yes, I suppose giant rats wouldn't just appear by themselves. Something else must have happened, and we'll find that out."

Adriel's battle preparation includes holding a shield. He has weapons, but he also needs a free hand for spellcasting.

Yep, ready to go.

Valmark
2023-02-10, 08:36 PM

"Neither, really" Yilverth frowned under the hood, then offered a smile "But I'm better at brawling then I am at bewitching, if push comes to shove. I can go first with Tigerpaw if that chain is as long as it looks" the elf nodded at the orc's weapon.

"And yeah, let's. I don't have more questions"

"I saw two. They were uh... about wolf sized, I'd say? Bigger than me, that's for certain!"

Upon being asked about her family, Tamily crossed her fingers. "Here's hoping it stays just me, yeah?"

"I mean... Having a family is great... Most of the time..."

Ready to go!

Bobthewizard
2023-02-11, 08:10 AM
Orc Champion 1

Gorak laughs at Tamily's comment, and with a sly smile responds, "Oh yeah. I'm not ready to be a father, either."

The others aren't sure if he is just making conversation with Tamily or if there is a history there. Tamily can't quite tell if Gorak is just being friendly or if he's flirting with her. He's very charming for an orc. He doesn't linger on the comment though, responding first to Adriel.

"Stay close to me. I'll do my best to keep you alive."

He then looks over Yilverth one more time, commenting on the elven branched spear.

"It looks like you could hit things from a fair distance too. Whatever order you want is fine with me."

davyjones
2023-02-11, 08:50 PM
Tigerpaw is content to let the others banter back and forth, especially the two locals.

Upon the turn of the conversation toward tactics, he inclines his head at the mention of his name. "I prefer to fight closely, although I'm not entirely without effectiveness at a distance," he says. "I'm also fair at staying quiet, so I'm happy to do the scouting ahead."

Xihirli
2023-02-11, 10:01 PM
The stairs leading into the basement of the Otari Fishery creak with age as you make your way downstairs to find the beasts that have been eating all the fish. In the center of the room, between stone pillars holding up the fishery overhead, are barrels once-filled with salted fish. Two of these barrels have been smashed open, spilling their contents on the floor. In the east wall is a large hole, opening into darkness.

A careful advance forward allows the party to get a listen to odd chittering from the hole... teeth peek out of the gap, then a nose twitching in excitement. Hungry rats, a bit smaller than wolves, peek their heads out and hideous squeaks emanate from them.

Let's use Perception for Initiative and keep things simple here.
I'll split the rats into 2 groups to hide their numbers.
Group A [roll0]
Group Two [roll1]

There is currently one rat with its muzzle sticking out of the hole, I'll keep things simple and say that anyone could reach melee with it in one Stride Action.

Valmark
2023-02-12, 06:38 AM
"There...!" Yilverth's voice cracked a little- he had little experience in fighting anything that wasn't a person, and even then he was barely used to it. Nonetheless, he discarded his cloak remaining in his thight-fitting clothes as the elf steeled himself for a fight.
"Should we let them come out of their holes? I don't fancy them finding refuge inside dragging us with them"

24 initiative!

Bobthewizard
2023-02-12, 10:16 AM
Orc Champion 1

As they had discussed, Gorak walks down the stairs behind Yilverth and Tigerpaw.

"Drawing them out would be best. Any ideas on how to do that? If not, we may need to go in after them."

Preparing for a fight, he holds his chain in both hands with the heavy ball hanging down from his right hand, swinging slowly as it builds up a little momentum.

ahyangyi
2023-02-12, 12:35 PM
Human(Sylph) Sorcerer 1
Holding a shield

"Nasty critters! Be careful!" Adriel follows the teammates, about 25 feet behind the monks.

Rolling initiative: [roll0] <---- failed to roll because I used "preview", sorry!
Rolling initiative in OOC thread: 1d20+4 = 24, yay.

Valmark
2023-02-12, 06:58 PM
Yilverth spinned his spear in his hands.
"I may have an idea" he charged at the one sticking it's muzzle out and stabbed it, then jumped back.

"Hopefully if they get angry they'll come out after us" he declared "Just don't stop next to their holes"

If I understand correctly I can Stride, attack with the Spear that has Reach, and Stride back to my starting position without risking an attack of opportunity.

[roll0] [roll1]

14 damage if it's a critical hit. I realize that with the fact that crit is 5 above AC rather then just nat 20 it may be faster to always roll the deadly die just in case.

ahyangyi
2023-02-13, 12:38 AM
Human(Sylph) Sorcerer 1
Holding a shield

Adriel's position would have been precarious if the three teammates were not in front of him. But with the defensive formation, the rats look like unlikable to reach him. That should afford him a little time to recall what he heard about the giant rats.
He carefully articulates a few unrecognizable words, icy winds swirls around his hand. With an aiming gesture, the winds dissipates and the ice form an energy beam shooting at a rat.

Action 1 & 2: Cast a Spell (Ray of Frost)
To hit: [roll0]
If hit: [roll1] cold damage
If critical: double the above, and the rat takes a –10-foot status penalty to its Speeds for 1 round (if it's somehow not dead).
Action 3: Recall Knowledge with Nature about rats
Skill check: [roll2]

davyjones
2023-02-13, 02:12 AM
"If it weren't for the fish, I'd say smoke them out," Tigerpaw counters as he follows Yil into the fray.

Actions: If a rat is available to attack, Tigerpaw will enter into his Tiger Stance, Stride into melee with an exposed rat a rat that has attacked Gorak, then use Flurry of Blows on his target.

First Attack
[roll0] - Modifier should be +7. Result of 9.

Second Attack
[roll1] - Modifier should be +3. Result of 20.

First Hit
[roll2]

Second Hit
[roll3]

Xihirli
2023-02-13, 06:38 PM
A crit is 10 above AC if it were 5 we would all be doomed

Yilverth begins the fight with a lunging jab that pierces a rat's head and leaves it dead on the ground immediately. Adriel's follow-up is unable to get past the corpse of the one rat while the remaining three rodents charge forward, getting in the faces of Yilverth and then Gorak and shrieking as menacingly as they can before leaping forward, jaws flaring. While two find purchase under Gorak's heavy chains, Yilverth manages to deflect the bite aimed at him.

The rats move in to bite you all, 2 of them going for Gorak and dealing 7 piercing. They fail to intimidate you all however, and Yilverth is untouched.

Gorak, please make 2 Fortitude saves.

Order
Adriel
Yilverth
Rats
Gorak
Tigerpaw
Tigerpaw let me know if you want to change actions from what has already been stated

Bobthewizard
2023-02-13, 07:30 PM
Orc Champion 1
AC: 18 HP: 17/24

Gorak is still swinging his ball and chain when the rats burst out. He should have been more prepared but he was not.

"Get off me!"

He gets in position and swings his hammer at the two rats next to him.

Fort #1 [roll0], #2 [roll1]

Action 1: step/move to flank

Action 2: attack [roll2] (add 2 if flat-footed), [roll3] bludgeoned

Action 3: (if the first rat is still up, continue to attack it. If it is drops, move to #2)
attack [roll4] (add 1 if first attacked missed, or 2 if flat-footed, not both),
[roll]1d8+4[roll] (rolled OOC = 11) bludgeoned

Valmark
2023-02-13, 08:06 PM
"Ah... Guess it worked!" Yilverth narrowly dodged a bit as the other rats got behind him and to Gorak "Not... Not this time!" he spun around and slammed the back of his spear into one rat's back before skewering it (or tried to anyway).

Yilverth will Step to a position where he can flank, then stab twice!

[roll0] [roll1]
[roll2] [roll3]
EDIT: It's a 20, not 21. The spear ain't agile.

He'll try to Demoralize the flanked rat, then stab it twice.

[roll4]
Attacks rolled in the other spoiler

Eventual Deadly rolls in case of crits: [roll5]

ahyangyi
2023-02-14, 01:29 PM
Human(Sylph) Sorcerer 1
Holding a shield

Adriel looks visibly annoyed as his ray of frost hit the dead rat and missed the alive rat. He shouts at the nearest rat, "take this!", as well as conjuring another twirling wind in his hands, which he directly throws towards the rat.

Action 1: Demoralize rat (-4 due to without a common language)
[roll0] against the rat's will
Action 2 & 3: Cast Produce Flame (modified by the Elemental Air Bloodline to produce wind instead)
To-hit:
[roll1]
Damage:
[roll2] bludgeoning
If critical:
1d4 persistent bludgeoning damage

---

Actually I think Tigerpaw, Gorak and Yilverth had killed the three rats, but I'm not sure, and technically my initiative was higher, so...

Xihirli
2023-02-14, 08:35 PM
With flurries of fists and chain two rats fall, and the final is scared into rearing up on its hind legs, a large enough target for Adriel to send an icicle into the throat of.

With stinking rat corpses all about them, Tamily's heroes found their boots full of rat blood and the path deeper into this infestation before them, through the crawl-hole of the basement.

Hero point to Gorak for taking the most damage in that fight, and also you passed the Fort saves just fine.

Squeezing through the hole, you find yourself in a cavern that seems to stretch endlessly beneath the streets of Otari. Who knows what menace could be lurking down here? Up ahead, the passageway ends in a cliff that plunges sharply into the darkness. How shall you proceed?

Valmark
2023-02-15, 04:36 AM
"Ah... ah... Ew" Yilverth sneered at the mess as soon as he recovered from the initial scare and was the first to get out of there, squeezing through the rat hole until he was in cleaner ambience "Ew ew ew!"

As soon as they were into the grotto he didn't stop to think about the next steps, at least not yet- he turned to Gorak.
"How are you? Those bites were nasty. Can I take a look?" the elf inquired, grabbing the healer's tools at his belt.

Treat Wounds! [roll0]
[roll1] healing

2d8 if it's 15+, 4d8 if it's 25 (nat 20), 1d8 damage if it's 6 (nat 1).

If we can take an hour instead double the healing.

EDIT: Yes well **** you too dice.

Bobthewizard
2023-02-15, 08:43 AM
Orc Champion 1
AC: 18 HP: 23/24

Gorak thanks Yilverth but refuses the bandages.

"That is kind of you. I may need that later. But for now I just need a few minutes to rest."

He rubs the bites and the wounds seem to heal immediately. He then sits with his back to the wall, pulls out his waterskin, and takes a long drink. After a few minutes, he stands up and prepares to move forward in the cavern.

"Let's see what we can find."

Lay on Hands for 6HP, then refocus.

ahyangyi
2023-02-15, 12:09 PM
Human(Sylph) Sorcerer 1
Holding a torch

Adriel watches Gorak's self magic healing in awe.

Then, he attempts to see what's below the cliff. Since he can't see anything beyond the cliff, he removes his shield and lights a torch.

Adriel (and I believe also everyone else except Gorak) has low-light vision but no darkvision.

By the way, the last attack wasn't icicle, but wind blast (or whatever an air-typed produce flame should produce).

Xihirli
2023-02-15, 04:35 PM
Looking down the sharp cliff by the light of the torch, Adriel sees some bitter mushrooms and the tunnels continuing, headed left.
The cliff itself looks climbable, though slippery with moisture.

Bobthewizard
2023-02-15, 07:37 PM
Orc Champion 1

Gorak looks for a stalagmite or large rock that he can use to secure his rope. Once he has it secure, he throws it over the edge, secures his meteor hammer, and starts to climb down the cliff.

"Let's see where this goes. We can leave the rope here to help us climb back out later."

Athletics to climb [roll0]

Xihirli
2023-02-16, 07:23 AM
Gorak easily lowers himself down onto solid ground with the aid of the rope. Up ahead, he can barely make out the floor gradually becoming more and more covered in webbing.

Valmark
2023-02-16, 07:58 AM
"See anything?" Yilverth inquired from up top "It's a wonder that this place exists, I bet the locals had no idea there was a giant cave underneath the city. Think it goes all the way to the Darklands?" he shivered at the thought.

Darklands being the equivalent of the Underdark, for those like me that had to google it.

Bobthewizard
2023-02-16, 08:02 AM
Orc Champion 1

Gorak looks up at Yilverth. He speaks as quietly as he can.

"Spider webs. Lots of them. Covering the floor. Should I come back up or should we press forward?"

ahyangyi
2023-02-16, 12:34 PM
Human(Sylph) Sorcerer 1
Holding a torch

"I bet Tamily won't be able to sleep well if we fall back and tell her about this cave.", then Adriel lowers himself from the cliff. "Perhaps we can burn away the webs, though that might alarm the spiders who weaved them... which must also be very big?" after Gorak saved him

[roll0] Athletics to climb down.

I'm not sure if requesting Gorak's aid is the right move -- on the one hand it seems the natural reaction that having someone below to help would be better, but on a second thought I can't figure out how would that actually help.

Bobthewizard
2023-02-16, 12:39 PM
Orc Champion 1

Gorak watches as Adriel tries to climb down the rope. Adriel is clearly not trained to do this. If the sorcerer slips, Gorak tries to catch him.

"I got you!"

Athletics to catch Adriel [roll0]

Xihirli
2023-02-16, 12:45 PM
Adriel slips and falls down to Gorak, who doesn't brace properly for the catch and gets hit by Adriel's falling body.

You each take 2 bludgeoning damage, but you're at the bottom.

Valmark
2023-02-16, 01:14 PM
"Guess the decision was made for us!" Yilverth chuckled staring at the rope with apprehension "I'm worried that burning the webs will make all the smoke raise to the inn... And also choke us out" he looked around.

"How did the rats get up here? Did they brave the spider webs?"

I'd like to Seek for an easier path to Gorak and Adriel before climbing down.

[roll0]

ahyangyi
2023-02-16, 01:44 PM
Human(Sylph) Sorcerer 1
AC: 16 HP: 13/15
Holding a torch and a dagger

"Thanks, and... sorry." Adriel thanks Gorak for help and apologize for the trouble he brought.

He then answers Yilverth, "There's also the possibility that these webs were created after the rats moved through.", explaining why he hurried ruthlessly.

Adriel then fetches his dagger, if people are worried about smoke, then there's conventional means as well.

davyjones
2023-02-16, 02:00 PM
"The webs we burnt around our camp when I was young didn't produce smoke, at least not on any significant level that I could remember," Tigerpaw recalls as he follows Adriel down the line.

Tigerpaw Athletics +3 [roll0]

That didn't go as planned...thankfully, Tigerpaw has "Land On Your Feet," so he only takes half damage and he doesn't land prone.

Xihirli
2023-02-16, 08:01 PM
We had our amusing fall let's just move on

Yilverth and Tigerpaw eventually manage to scramble down the side and spot the webs ahead together. The place smells, and a look about the webs shows that several of those giant rats the team had already fought were bound in those webbings and looked... shriveled. Drained of their liquid.

This is the best I can make it I think, the webs are difficult terrain 1.

https://cdn.discordapp.com/attachments/1062099438207762543/1075944257644404766/Screen_Shot_2023-02-16_at_7.57.13_PM.png

How would you all like to approach the web room?

Valmark
2023-02-16, 08:34 PM
"Well that explains it. Rats had to have come through the webs with no other road and no nest up top" Yilverth sniffed the air and gagged. Then looked at the rats and gagged again. He wasn't having the time of his life.

"You know what, cutting our path through sounds like a good idea right about now... Though if webs don't produce smoke either way is fine" he pulled out a dagger of his own.

Honestly, I'm fine with either. Mostly I'd just rather prefer we take it slow and clear a path rather then walk on the difficult terrain with giant spiders around. I'd rather avoid fire but if you all wanna use it sure.

Also I'd like to keep alert and Seek for hidden creatures. Yilverth's Seek action has a 60 feet range instead if 30, and has +2 to the check against creatures within said 30 feet.

[roll0]

Bobthewizard
2023-02-17, 07:57 AM
Orc Champion 1
AC: 18 HP: 21/24

Still rubbing his shoulder from where he awkwardly tried to catch Adriel, Gorak shakes it off, readies his chain, and follows after Yilverth.

"Lead the way. I'll follow you."

He keeps an eye out for any danger, especially where the webs seem to originate.

Seek: [roll0]

ahyangyi
2023-02-17, 03:01 PM
Human(Sylph) Sorcerer 1

Adriel stays at the very entrance of the room. If he stayed any further his vision would be limited by the walls. He then clears any web within his reach, and search for any potential source of threat. He first look at the front, where the web seems to extend to, then above, then the ground, just in case something is ambushing from above or burrowing from below.

Seek using Perception, [roll0]

Xihirli
2023-02-18, 08:07 AM
In the torchlight, Adriel has trouble seeing far enough until a massive spider, easily the size of a cow, skitters out from the darkest corner of the cave in a full charge, webbing spraying from it at the two monks leading the charge, trying to stick them in place to devour them later... like a rat.

Big ol spood
Gorak
Adriel
Tigerpaw
Yilverth

Basically enemy then everyone else

The spider will move on the ground, unimpeded by the webs, to about 20 feet ahead of the frontmost members of the party – Tigerpaw and Yilverth. Then it'll launch webbing at both of them, first Yilverth then Tigerpaw. On a hit, you can't move until you escape the web.

On Yilverth: [roll0]
On Tigerpaw: [roll1]

Valmark
2023-02-18, 09:45 AM
"Ack!" Yilverth ducked down under the strands of web and dashed forward- he figured there was no point in staying at range against something that big and capable of shooting webs so he used the spear to help pole vaulting over the webs and landed stabbing it through one of the spider's eyes- he wasn't entirely sure of what went on with its anatomy, so he went for what looked squishy.

Yilverth will move 15 feet (30 feet base speed as an elf) as part of a Long Leap to cover the leftover distance with an 18.

Then spear attack!

I really should have gotten Athletics instead of Acrobatics.

[roll0] [roll1]
If a crit [roll2]

So 19 total damage unless the spider has 28+ AC.

Bobthewizard
2023-02-18, 10:20 AM
Orc Champion 1

Seeing the webs shoot out at the monks, Gorak strides forward over the webs and swings his chain at the spider, trying to bring it down and smash the bug's head. As he moves forward, he looks at the monks to make sure they aren't hurt.

"Are you both ok?"

Acrobatics: [roll0]

Action 1: stride forward
Action 2: attack [roll1], [roll2] bludgeoning
Action 3: attack [roll3], [roll4] bludgeoning

If he needs to use 2 actions to get within 10' then ignore the second attack.

ahyangyi
2023-02-18, 02:14 PM
Human(Sylph) Sorcerer 1
Holding a torch and a dagger (dropped)

"Watch out!" shouts Adriel, who missed to spot the huge spider and could only give the warning too late. He then moves up, drops the dagger to free a hand to cast his staple wind spell against the spider.

Action 1: move 15 feet (assuming that Adriel already cleared the web in the grid in front of him)
Action 2 & 3: cast a spell, Produce Wind, unless the spider is not within 30 feet, in which case change it to Ray of Frost

To-hit: [roll0]
Damage: [roll1] bludgeoning; if it was actually Ray of Froest, change to cold.

davyjones
2023-02-18, 07:24 PM
Tigerpaw reacts almost instinctively, twisting slightly to avoid the liquid webbing. He deftly uses exposed stones and surfaces to avoid the webbing as he moves into striking distance to deliver a spinning roundhouse kick and a flurry of quick punches to the spider's thorax.

Roundhouse +7 [roll0]
Roundhouse Damage 1d6 [roll1]

Flurry Strike #1 +3 [roll2]
Flurry Strike #1 Damage 1d6 [roll3]

Flurry Strike #2 -1 [roll4]
Flurry Strike # Damage 1d6 [roll5]

Xihirli
2023-02-19, 12:20 AM
Almost as soon as it springs forth in an ambush, the spider is stabbed in the eye, crushed under a boulder, and raked at with claws and buffeted with winds for good measure.
The spider dead, the group is left with ample time to comb through the webs, destroying what they can. In their searches they locate a skeleton of some sort of small, reptilian creature. Near to this skeleton they also find embedded in the webs a shortsword with an emerald in the pommel, and a vial of a ruby-red liquid.

After the web-infested cave, the passageway leading deeper underneath the streets of Otari appears to be mostly natural, but someone, or something, has worked to open the cavern and level out the floor, making the passage easily traveled. A crude barricade made from old wooden planks and part of a barrel blocks the entrance to a side tunnel, while the main passage continues off into the gloom.

ahyangyi
2023-02-19, 03:33 PM
Human(Sylph) Sorcerer 1

"Whew, scary, thankfully it missed.", Adriel says, then silently offers a quick prayer to Ranginori: he isn't very religious, but this occasion warrants one.

Then picks up his dropped dagger and continues cutting the webs, "Hey, what are... those?" then he examines the skeleton and items.

After that, Adriel asks, "Ah, and we have two roads here: the main one and the blocked one -- I wonder who blocked that tunnel, and why?" as he's interested about what's behind the barricade.

[roll0] Society check to learn what the skeleton is
Detect magic on the sword
[roll1] Nature check to identify the potion
Not trained in medicine so won't try to do forensics to the skeleton.

Valmark
2023-02-19, 06:30 PM
Yilverth tried cleaning his spear as well as he could, grimacing the entire time.

"You know, a great way to see what's past the barricade would be to break it down and check. What's everybody's thoughts?" he asked while examining the skeleton.

Yilverth is trained in medicine though! Anything gleanable from the skeleton about what happened to the creature it belonged to? [roll0]

Bobthewizard
2023-02-20, 12:07 PM
Orc Champion 1

Gorak helps clear the webs, gathers the sword and vial if no one else does, and then travels along with the others down the main passage. At the makeshift barricade, he looks for clues as to its recent use.

"If the barricade looks to be used recently, I agree that we should investigate. If it looks like it hasn't been disturbed in a while, then I think it's likely not the source of the rats and we should continue on the main passage and see where it leads."

Study barricade [roll0] I have no idea what skill that should be

Xihirli
2023-02-20, 12:36 PM
Adriel identifies the creature as a kobold, while Yilverth determines that based on the fact that the skeleton is wrapped in spiderwebs, it was likely killed by some sort of giant spider, if such a thing even exists.

Without any light behind the barricade, Gorak can only size up the blockage itself. It would be quite simple to break through, he thinks, but quite noisy as well. Anyone beyond would expect them coming.

ahyangyi
2023-02-21, 02:54 PM
Human(Sylph) Sorcerer 1

"Well, the skeleton was a kobold.", Adriel announces. "And I guess that means the worked passage was the work of kobolds. That means, the kobolds live on this side of the barricade."

Adriel gives the barricade a further check, before turning to the main passage, "Regardless what's behind the barricade, we have problems to deal with on this side. I agree with Gorak."

Study the barricade with the help of torchlight, potentially using his hard labor knowledge.
(rolled in OOC thread) 1d20=11, if Lore(Labor) was applicable it would be 14.

davyjones
2023-02-21, 06:19 PM
"Onward, then," Tigerpaw agrees as he continues along the laid down path. He's never seen a kobold warren before, and wonders to himself if the workmanship around him is a glimpse at what it may be like.

The big cat paces himself to stay just ahead of the bright light of the torch and use his superior night vision to scan his surroundings.

Staying about 25 feet ahead of Adriel. Keeping an eye out for anything interesting...or dangerous...in the dim light.

Xihirli
2023-02-21, 08:43 PM
Moving on from the barricade that does look like it wasn't built to be opened at any point, they continue down the main tunnel. Up ahead, they can see a natural staircase leading up and further into the darkness... and on their left, they smell an odd sea breeze from a tunnel that starts at about six feet off the ground. Gorak can just barely make out a wooden door covered in mold and rot up that way. The doors don't appear to be kobold make.

Valmark
2023-02-22, 04:41 AM
Yilverth nodded when the group elected to leave the barricade for the moment "Tackling one problem at the time sounds good. Though maybe the kobolds live on the other side rather- keeping the spider locked out"

When they came at the split, Yilverth sighed "If this keeps up we'll have to draw a map. Do we want to check out the sea side first? Ideally it would be connected to the outside somehow- it'd be nice to be able to write off at least one of the roads we came across. Assuming there aren't other paths within it" he had no real strong feelings on where to go, at least for the moment.

Bobthewizard
2023-02-22, 09:19 AM
Orc Champion 1

Gorak looks through the tunnel and sees the door at the end. He reports what he sees to the others and nods along to Yilverth's suggestion.

"Yes. Even if this door isn't made by kobolds, it could be used by them...or something else."

If the others agree, he helps the others up then climbs into the tunnel himself.

[roll0] to look for signs of use in the tunnel
Aid to help others climb up.
Athletics to climb up [roll1] if it is even needed

ahyangyi
2023-02-23, 12:26 AM
Human(Sylph) Sorcerer 1
Holding a torch (dagger sheathed after leaving the webbed room)

"Our small town has an amazing history" Adriel comments, then follows Gorak into the tunnel, providing the torch light and accepting any needed help for climbing.

Xihirli
2023-02-23, 03:17 AM
With the help of their orc friend, the team checks the door, which seem utterly unused.

The ancient wooden door creaks open on rusty hinges, revealing a ruined chamber. Mold and rot stain every surface. On the far side of the room is stone statue of a giant squid, its tentacles reaching toward an altar in the center of the chamber. The scum covers almost everything, but it hasn’t touched the silver bowl sitting atop the stone altar. The water in the bowl is perfectly clear, and smells of salt.

This is a shrine to Gozreh, a nature god of the ocean.

Bobthewizard
2023-02-23, 01:39 PM
Orc Champion 1

Gorak walks into the room, both hands on his ball and chain as he approaches the stone altar.

"This is a shrine to Gozreh. But it looks to be deserted. While he is not my god, I have no quarrel with him, so we should not let this bowl fall to this mold and algae. Let's take the bowl to another of his temples. I'm sure they would appreciate it."

He reaches over with one hand and tries to remove the bowl. If successful, he will bathe in the salt water by pouring it over his head, trying to mimic a religious service and be as respectful as possible.

ahyangyi
2023-02-23, 01:42 PM
Human(Sylph) Sorcerer 1
Holding a torch

Adriel also recognizes the Gozreh symbol. It wasn't exactly a strange find, considering that Otari is a port town.

Adriel then casts detect magic, checking the potential presence of magical things there.

Xihirli
2023-02-23, 01:51 PM
Restore [roll0] hit points and make a Fortitude save please.

As Gorak pours the bowl over his head, Adriel detects magic in the room around them and finds that it is indeed present.

Bobthewizard
2023-02-23, 01:55 PM
Orc Champion 1

Gorak is surprised to feel the water heal some of his wounds. His shoulder feels much better from where he awkwardly caught Adriel.

"That is refreshing."

But he knows sometimes this healing comes with a price.

Fortitude: [roll0]

davyjones
2023-02-23, 05:07 PM
"That's new," Tigerpaw muses as he spies the shrine. He nods at the others' recognition of the god involved, and watches with interest as Gorak performs a ritual cleansing on himself, wondering aloud, "Would Gozreh approve of moving his shrine in this manner? Something-something consecrated ground and such?"

He doesn't remember much of his religious studies...not that there were many, but he did remember his grandsire's warning about the "capriciousness" of the gods. Given how much he and his people protected and concealed their own natural shrines, he wouldn't want to disturb another's sacred place without permission.

Valmark
2023-02-24, 01:31 PM
"I mean... I'm fairly sure Gozreh's followers haven't been around here in a while. I doubt he'd mind- and I'm sure we could find someone interested in a port town" Yilverth chimed in, refraining from saying buyer. It seemed like the others were respecting the magic of the place, and he preferred not standing out.

Even if he was fairly convinced the gods had better to do then listening to their dead shrine.

Yilverth, bringing pessimism since whatever year we are in -20.

Sorry, have been sick yesterday so I refrained from posting.

"If nothing else happens, there's more paths to check!" the elf mentioned with eagerness- his curiosity was having him feel restless after they hit a seemingly dead end.

Bobthewizard
2023-02-24, 01:49 PM
Orc Champion 1

Gorak shrugs his shoulders at Tigerpaw's remark.

"I guess that's possible. I just know that if someone found something this nice in an abandoned shrine to one of my gods, I'd rather they return it than just leave it. Yilverth, do you have room in your pack for this? And you are right, Gozreh is a god of the sea, so a port town would be the right place to look for his temples."

If Yilverth wants it, Gorak will let him carry it.

As long as you tell Gorak you are returning it, he won't know if you sell it.

Valmark
2023-02-24, 03:41 PM
"I don't mind" Yilverth nodded "When we get back to Otari I'm going to check if I can find someone who'd want it back, shouldn't be hard" he said taking the bowl. If luck had it, Yilverth would find someone who was interested in it for religious purposes and offering a reward.

If luck didn't had it, he would have to decide if he wanted to lie to his newfound allies or not.

ahyangyi
2023-02-24, 03:45 PM
Human(Sylph) Sorcerer 1
Holding a torch

Adriel hesitated as he saw Gorak received the divine healing. Trouble was, Gorak had shoulder injuries, so pouring down the holy sea water to the head worked; he had ankle injuries, he wasn't sure what kind of ritual would work and not annoy Gozreh.

Ultimately, he decided against the idea of also using that water.

Instead, he warns others about the magic in the room, then cleans the altar as his way to pay tribute to the wind god. Then he joins everyone else to check the other paths.

Xihirli
2023-02-24, 10:22 PM
Half-walking, half-climbing up the steps further up the tunnel, they come to a new area. This large room looks like it was once a storeroom for a building above. At the far side, you can all make out what might have been a cage or cell at some point, but it is now full of crates and barrels. Four blue, lizardlike creatures the size of human children are clustered around the door to the cell, trying to pry it open. These would also be kobolds, as you have identified the corpse of one already.

Bobthewizard
2023-02-25, 07:50 AM
Orc Champion 1

Gorak tries to communicate with the kobolds. He doesn't speak draconic, but hopes they understand a little common. He holds his hand out, palm forward, so they don't feel threatened.

"We can help open. Split things inside."

He looks back over at the others to make sure they aren't threatening the kobolds, and waits for a response from the creatures.

Valmark
2023-02-25, 06:30 PM
Yilverth sheathed his weapon- he didn't know draconic either, so that was mostly all he could do to be peaceful.

"Huh. I'm starting to think the kobolds are a recent arrival" he noted to the others "If they are... Ah... Exploring somebody else's warehouse. I'd like to see those goods as well, if only to see how old are they"

davyjones
2023-02-26, 01:13 AM
"Perhaps I could try something," Tigerpaw says, stepping forward to stand by the champion, he bows deeply and respectfully.

He had never dealt with kobolds before, and wasn't entirely sure of their culture, or even if they had a culture distinct from the realm in which they lived. He also wasn't sure what languages they would speak beyond their own. But, he was confident he could get their, well, attention, at least.

"We mean you no harm. Do you speak the local tongue by chance?" he asks, then switching to his own native tongue. "Or this one? This is what I grew up with, called Amurrun."

The big cat lowers himself to his haunches and adds in Goblin, "Or, maybe you speak the language of the goblins?"

It's worth a shot, at least; his shrine was near a small goblin enclave for a time, and his people traded with them occasionally. He was exceedingly curious at that time, and took every opportunity to learn a bit of their language with each visit. Eventually, by the time the goblin's moved on, he had become almost conversant with them.

ahyangyi
2023-02-26, 12:20 PM
Human(Sylph) Sorcerer 1
Holding a torch

Adriel stays in the back. He will probably not fail to grab attention though, since he's holding the torch.

"Do you guys need any help?" He asks in Taldane (a.k.a. Common), then repeats the question in Kelish.

Xihirli
2023-02-26, 12:30 PM
The blue-scaled kobolds turn and speak in alarm to one another. One draws a spear and approaches, hissing at you in a chittering reptilian sound.
None of them appear to understand you, but your peaceful approach has not triggered an outright attack yet as the kobolds speak amongst themselves in Draconic, attempting to reach a consensus on what to do about these strangers.

Valmark
2023-02-26, 06:48 PM
"We defeated the spider if it helps" Yilverth added gesturing behind himself. He didn't know how to convey 'we killed that thing you sealed the corridor for'.

Xihirli
2023-02-26, 08:52 PM
The kobolds nod eagerly and point down the pathway behind the four heroes, indicating that they want you all to leave the way you arrived.

Valmark
2023-02-27, 04:26 AM
"No... I... Ugh" Yilverth put his hand together mimicking an eight legged creature skittering about then pointed back the way they came, shaking his head in dissent.

"If they don't get it now I'm not trying again"

ahyangyi
2023-02-27, 10:18 AM
Human(Sylph) Sorcerer 1
Holding a torch

Adriel shrugs at the suggestion, "Listen, I'm not going to take your treasure, if that's your concern, but you should be honest to us as well."

He then asks a few questions, "So, how did you arrive here? What are you looking for? And -- what were you trying to seal off with that barricade?", trying his best to reinforce his words with gestures. The situation is uneasy, but perhaps keeping talking is better than that embarrassing silence.

Xihirli
2023-02-27, 04:53 PM
The kobolds do not seem to understand any of your questions, but they quickly get the gist of Gorak's gestures toward the cell they're trying to open. They hastily usher you forward, point at the cell door, and mime punching toward the orc.

Bobthewizard
2023-02-27, 05:15 PM
Orc Champion 1

Gorak gives the kobolds a day of his rations as a peace offering. He then approaches the door and looks back to the others.

"Let's see what's inside here."

After pushing and pulling on the door to figure out his best approach, he puts his shoulder into the door and tries to open it.

Force Open [roll0]

davyjones
2023-02-28, 12:26 PM
"If they don't get it now I'm not trying again"

Tigerpaw purrs mirthfully at the comment. When the kobolds finally ask for assistance with the cell door, he nods with satisfaction - and a mental note that he needs to broaden his horizons and learn more languages, starting with the chitter of these kobolds - and stands as calmly as he had knelt. As he straightens his tunic, the big cat wonders if the kobolds understand the nature of kindness and gift giving. It was something Tigerpaw himself had to learn when he left on his travels; in his enclave, everything was shared by everyone. If something was used, it was returned; if it was needed elsewhere, especially to help the enclave, it was given over without protest. He grew up with that communal concept of "ownership," and new no other until he entered the wider world.

That isn't to say that he think that the way of his shrine is better or worse than the individual ownership and hierarchy of power he's encountered in his travels. Just different, and an interesting dichotomy of experience.

As the paladin works to break open the door, he shifts to get a better view of the cage interior and its contents.

Xihirli
2023-02-28, 12:40 PM
Gorak rips the cell door off of the hinges and opens the path into the cell. Inside the cell is a pile of old crates and a few barrels. While most of these contain long-spoiled food and stained cloth, one of them contains a small pile of silver coins, a gold ring, and a gleaming sword.
Two kobolds haul up the crate with these valuables and push them into Gorak's arms. One waves for you all to follow as the other three little reptiles gather up about two fish each that they seem to have been hauling. The leader opens a door into a short hallway with smooth walls of worked stone and a door at either end, though the door at the far end is closed. The floor is tiled with large, square stone tiles. The leader steps through but stops to check if their new friends are following.

Valmark
2023-02-28, 03:18 PM
"Ahw, how cute" Yilverth said as the kobolds scampered about to pick up the loot and give it for Gorak to either carry or take, though the elf assumed it was carrying.

Yilverth was immediately following. You couldn't pay him not to follow four kobolds down an unknown path in a place that already proved itself full of threats.
"Mmm... If I were to hazard a guess, they didn't build this part of the place"

I'm gonna do a little Seek for traps. Trusting them is good, being sure is better.

[roll0]

Bobthewizard
2023-02-28, 04:14 PM
Orc Champion 1

Gorak carries the box under one arm, holding his ball in chain in the same hand. He pockets the gold ring, and hands the sword to Tigerpaw to carry, leaving only the silver in the box.

"Should we go with them, or leave them the silver and go our separate ways?"

Once he sees Yilverth following, he joins along, looking to make sure the others are ok with this plan.

davyjones
2023-02-28, 05:54 PM
Tigerpaw gracefully catches the sword and finds a place for it in his belt. First time for everything, he muses, a slight purr betraying his mirth.

At Gorak's question, he responds, "Well, I'm curious to see where they lead us. I say we follow."

Xihirli
2023-03-01, 06:30 PM
Despite some trepidations, the group follows the kobolds down the narrow hallway. While Yilverth doesn't personally find any traps, he does note that the kobolds are hopping over a few memorized tiles, and he helps the group do the same. The lead kobold shoves the door open and walks past two stone statues of priests, standing in the corners along the west side of the room. Each of the statues is facing a third, towering statue of a man holding out both of his hands, palms up. In front of this statue is a stone altar holding nine golden coins.

While nothing happens as the kobolds pass it by, the a voice booms out the instant the heroes step before the altar.

“In my hands I judge the value of all wealth, raising up whichever is greater. One of these coins is a deception. Find it using only two judgments and receive my blessing.”

Valmark
2023-03-01, 06:55 PM
Yilverth whistled as his day got better- in addition to the endearing kobolds, there was also an enigma now!

"Mmm... I think I know" he turned to his companions "If we have nine coins we divide them in groups of three- then we use the first measurement to check two of them. If the statue raises one hand we know the other one contains the deception" Yilverth explained "If it doesn't, we know the group we didn't check contained the deception. Then we measure two coins out of the three of whichever is the guilty group- whichever coin the statue doesn't raise is the deception. If the hands remain even then the leftover coin was the deception"

Feeling fairly proud of himself, Yilverth smiled- but the happiness was short lived as he got immediately doubts.
"That's... Assuming the 'deception' is meant to be of lower value of the gold coins. If it's of greater value then we need to take the coins in the raised hand instead" he turned to the altar "Any chance we can get a clarification, voice from beyond? Is the deception of greater or lower value then the gold coins?"

Seriously, it's a legitimate concern.

Bobthewizard
2023-03-01, 07:33 PM
Orc Champion 1

Gorak is grateful for Yilverth pointing out the possible traps and follows his lead. At the statues, he listens as Yilverth explains his solution. He motions for the kobolds to wait.

"That sounds like it would work. I assume a deceptive coin would be of lower value. Why would someone make an expansive coin look less expensive?"

ahyangyi
2023-03-02, 10:51 AM
Human(Sylph) Sorcerer 1
Holding a torch

"Please wait for us solving this" Adriel says to the kobolds, "...and, don't give us hints! The deity must want us to be honest, and we can do it." Adriel suddenly realizes that the fact the altar did not speak to the kobolds must be because they have solved (or failed to solve) that puzzle before.

Xihirli
2023-03-02, 11:15 AM
The kobolds begin to look impatient, but Yilverth swiftly places three coins on each scale. They are exactly equal, so Yilverth knows to place two of the coins from the remaining three on the scales. They are still exactly equal.

"Choose the deception," the voice rumbles.

ahyangyi
2023-03-02, 12:02 PM
Human(Sylph) Sorcerer 1
Holding a torch

Recognizing the altar belongs to Abadar, Adriel is convinced that the puzzle is straightforward and isn't going to be a weird koan (e.g., "haha, the deception isn't among the coins, I am the deception" if it's a deception god, but Abadar is trustworthy).

"The remaining one" Adriel picks up the only coin that wasn't put on the scales so far, "that's the deception".

Xihirli
2023-03-02, 12:49 PM
In Adriel's hand, the coin turns to lead while the other eight retain their golden sheen.

While the kobolds were headed to a northern door, a wall just to the right of it opens up to a tiny room. This small chamber contains an old wooden chest emblazoned with the symbol of a key. Behind the chest is a massive contraption of gears and pulleys that looks like the inner workings of some unseen device.

The chest opens easily and contains around 200 copper coins, a handful of silver coins, and three gold ones. Rolled up on top of the nest of coins is a piece of parchment wrapped around a bead-sized emerald.

davyjones
2023-03-02, 12:58 PM
As the others seem eager to solve the puzzle, Tigerpaw stands off to the side, nearer the kobolds, and watches their solution to the test with interest.

Bobthewizard
2023-03-02, 01:02 PM
Orc Champion 1

Gorak hesitates for a moment. He looks in the chest and reaches for the emerald.

"Do you all think this is our reward for solving the puzzle, or just a request for an offering? Maybe we should do both. Take the emerald and the gold but leave a silver coin in return. Oh, make sure we leave the gold and lead coins so he can use the same riddle on the next group."

After exchanging a silver coin for the gold and the emerald, Gorak continues following the kobolds.

Recall knowledge, religion [roll0]

Valmark
2023-03-02, 01:16 PM
"Wo-hoo! It worked!" Yilverth perked right back up looking smug "It should be a reward, or it's a pretty weird idea of a 'blessing'" he mentioned, but didn't move to take more- on one side, he wasn't sure it'd lead to an argument, and on the other he immediately reached for the scroll to check out what it said, far more interested in that then any of the precious content of the chest.

davyjones
2023-03-02, 02:09 PM
Tigerpaw is pleasantly surprised by the prize, expecting some sort of short-term boon over a chest of coins and a gem. He's somewhat confused by Gorak's response, though.

"This is Abadar's symbol, right?" he asks, looking to Gorak and Adriel for confirmation. "If so, isn't one of his edicts to earn wealth through work? I'd say that's exactly what we did.

"Now, we can spend or donate it as we desire, but I doubt a god who governs matters of earning wealth would have a 'blessing' that was take a bit, leave the rest for the next traveler; and nothing in his 'rules' said we could only select 'a piece' of the reward. Wouldn't he want us to take the wealth we earned and use it wisely? Perhaps even share it with our new friends who brought us this direction?"

Bobthewizard
2023-03-02, 02:11 PM
Orc Champion 1

Gorak looks at Tigerpaw.

"Yeah. That makes sense. Go ahead then. I'm sure we can put these to good use somewhere."

He takes his silver coin back and then steps out of the way incase anyone else wants to take some of the coins.

Xihirli
2023-03-02, 02:37 PM
The kobolds grow quite excited seeing the wealth and point insistently to the crate Gorak is carrying, then beckon for the group to hurry and follow them through the door they were originally headed towards.

The door opens with a creak, revealing a massive chamber that looks like an audience hall. On the far side, a broad set of stairs leads up to where a throne might once have been. Pillars support the high ceiling, and the ruined tatters of once decorative banners still hang from them. A decorative tile pattern centered in the middle of the room shows through the grime coating the floor.

Three more blue kobolds are stationed here, two holding spears and one carrying a bow, and a sack that clacks with metal as she shifts. The two warriors immediately approach and reptilian hisses and chitters are shared between them and the kobolds you have helped. Then the spearless kobold, who has kept her distance, says to you all in halting, slow Common:
"Scale-brothers say you help get offerings to the Boss?"

Valmark
2023-03-03, 09:32 PM
Seeing as how it seemed free for the taking, Yilverth picked up the bundle of coins his companions left- he offered the scroll to Adriel.

"I don't know if it can be useful to you, but certainly you'll be better suited to reading it then me"

Yilverth took note of the decor of the room, but first they needed to make sure the conversation went well. He smiled pleased at the kobold with whom communication was possible.
"Yes, we helped these kobolds get the chest my companion is carrying" the elf nodded encouragingly.
"Nice to meet you, I'm Yilverth. I hope that's a sufficient sign that we mean no harm" he nodded to the kobolds stationed as guards.

Also, if applicable, can I roll Lore(Genealogy) to Recall any Knowledge about the banners of the room and try to find out who these halls belonged to?

(I actually think Lore(Heraldry) would make more sense but asking doesn't hurt).

Roll in case [roll0]

Bobthewizard
2023-03-04, 08:22 AM
Orc Champion 1

Gorak starts to think this is certainly a trap. On the other hand, if they are dishonorable, we can't leave a hive of vicious kobolds down here to torment the town.

"Yes. We worked together. You get half."

He holds out the silver from the initial storeroom.

"For the boss."

Xihirli
2023-03-04, 12:06 PM
It's difficult to tell if the translator is angry when she growls and hisses, or if she's just speaking Draconic again.
After some responses from the others she points to a spiral staircase leading down.
"Green-scales guarding the exit from stinky lizards. Kill stinky lizards on the way to Boss and you may keep half."

Yilverth does not recognize the banners.

ahyangyi
2023-03-04, 02:17 PM
Human(Sylph) Sorcerer 1
Holding a torch

"I'll try to decipher it later" Adriel accepts the scroll from Yilverth.

Then, after the kobold translator spoke, Adriel adds his comment, "Weird, so their path is cut into half by the lizard...?" then he walks towards the staircase and looks down to see the lizard.

Valmark
2023-03-04, 03:34 PM
The elf's smile faltered when asked to kill.

"It does seem like that's what they are saying. Who are the green scales?" Yilverth asked as all of them were blue "And what are the... Ah... Stinky lizards?"

Bobthewizard
2023-03-05, 07:40 AM
Orc Champion 1

Gorak isn' sure he likes where this is going. He certainly doesn't trust these kobolds, and doesn't want to help them with any quarrels they have with other lizards, but he also doesn't want to just leave. He wants to find out how many are down here.

He isn't going to commit to helping kill the stinky lizards, so he gives the kobolds the silver from the storeroom.

"Here is your half for the boss. We are keeping the rest."

He waits for the kobolds to answer Yilverth's question, and for Adriel to report what he sees.

Request, or some sort of diplomacy check [roll0]

Xihirli
2023-03-05, 08:14 AM
"Ih!" the kobold struggles to lift it and splits the crate with another.

"Green scales!" The translator points to herself, then lifts up an arm full of blue scales. "Green!"
She insistently points down the staircase. "Stinky lizards hunt kobolds! Kill us while we go out finding things for Boss!"

Adriel takes a few strides down the stairs and get a quick look at a room in disarray. Two green kobolds are set up with crossbows behind barrels and fallen furniture as improvised cover, and they snarl at seeing him. Adriel makes a quick retreat back up to the others.

Valmark
2023-03-05, 08:54 AM
"...huh. Alright" Yilverth filed the blue-green debate under things to inspect later "We may need to take a look at these... Stinky lizards... Ourselves. See if they are just mindless predators or if something else is going on" he smiled at the kobolds then at his companions.

"Besides, these kobolds seem nice enough but we really should talk to this 'Boss' ourselves"

ahyangyi
2023-03-05, 10:48 AM
Human(Sylph) Sorcerer 1
Holding a torch

"I saw two green-scaled kobolds with crossbows." Adriel reports, then asks the translator, "Can you give us a... pass-word? Or say something to them? So they know we are not intruders."

Xihirli
2023-03-05, 11:01 AM
"We go first," the translator offers. "You follow?"

Valmark
2023-03-05, 12:59 PM
"We follow" Yilverth nodded, then caught himself "I... Uh... Think?" and looked at his companions to see what they thought.

Bobthewizard
2023-03-05, 01:11 PM
Orc Champion 1

Gorak doesn't think we can trust these kobolds, or if he wants to fight for them, but he still wants to find out how many are down here before we leave.

He isn't going to commit to helping kill the stinky lizards, but he looks to the others and when Tilverth agrees, he also consents to go with the blue-skinned beasts.

"We will follow."

davyjones
2023-03-06, 11:33 AM
The big cat seems interested in observing the interplay and stays back as his companions handled negotiations. He's heartened by their willingness to help out, even despite the reservation that plays across their features as they answer. A soft purr in the back of his throat as he also nods his assent, Tigerpaw follows along, mentally preparing himself for a fight, wondering what "smelly lizards" are and if kobolds were arrayed as dragons.

What would happen if a green and a blue married and had offspring? Are there cultural prohibitions against that? He continues this way in his mind as the group descends the stairs.

ahyangyi
2023-03-06, 12:38 PM
Human(Sylph) Sorcerer 1
Holding a torch

Adriel follows everyone else, as he requested the translator to lead the way.

"...stinky?", Adriel sniffs, doubtfully, as he walks.

Xihirli
2023-03-06, 12:50 PM
The cave doesn't smell great, but nothing really has since they encountered the rats.
The translator leads the way down the spiral staircase to where the two green-scaled kobolds wait. An exchange of hisses follows and the green kobolds do not shoot at you.

Behind the green kobolds is a barricade of barrels that the Kobolds pester Gorak into moving out of the way before continuing downward.
Beyond the barricade, the passageway meanders briefly. The floor descends slightly and soon becomes flooded by a shallow pool of water. The water appears to be flowing out of a passageway to the right, and a shimmering blue light in that direction reflects off of the water there. The main passageway continues to the left, over the slight depression in the floor where the water has pooled. An overpowering stench drifts from around a bend.
This passage forks two ways. The stench is coming from the left, a bit of a steep climb up out of the water, while on the right the path forward is clearly visible – even lit.
On the far side of the puddle of water is a strange chamber, crackling with magical energy. Pulsing orbs float in three of the four corners of this room. The orb in the southwest is made of brown earth and stone, whereas the one in the northeast looks to be made of glass, and is filled with a swirling cloud. The orb in the far corner holds a roaring flame; opposite that orb are shattered remains and the water that flows down the passageway to the northwest.

The translator kobold points insistently left. "Stinky lizards! Kill them, we can bring treasure to boss!"

Valmark
2023-03-07, 06:31 PM
Yilverth loudly gagged when his nostrils caught a whiff of the stench.

"Ah... I'm sorry, Miss Translator Green Scales, may I ask something?" Yilverth spoke up as his brain tried to process the room to the right "Was that room like that when you found it? Did the stinky lizards... Come out of it, or drink from it?" he inquired.

"Adriel, is the water magical? And... Anybody got any idea what that even is?" he gestured to the room with the orbs.

ahyangyi
2023-03-08, 08:17 AM
Human(Sylph) Sorcerer 1
Holding a torch

"The four orbs seem to represent the four elements, but the water orb is broken." Adriel says, then he casts detect magic, first to check the water, then to check the orbs.

Bobthewizard
2023-03-08, 08:43 AM
Orc Champion 1

Gorak doesn't resist following th kobolds, but maybe they know something about the orbs. He points to them and tries to keep his question simple.

"What are those?"

Gather Information [roll0]

Xihirli
2023-03-08, 07:25 PM
Adriel determines that there is, in fact, magic.
The translator kobold shrugs at Gorak's question.. "Who cares? Kill stinkies!"
She fixates on Yilverth. "Colorblind one asks okay question. They were there when kobolds dug in! Eat us sometimes. Rude! If they die we will be able to more safely find treasure for boss!"

Valmark
2023-03-08, 07:51 PM
"Mmm..." Yilverth mused "I will go ahead and say that I don't expect anything sapient as far as the... Stinky lizards go" he told the others "Let's che- I mean, I think we should first check them out. We don't want them to ambush us while we inspect the room with the orbs" he forgot it wasn't a given that his companions would want to explore the magic room.

"If they drunk from that water, they may have gotten magical abilities- especially if, going along with her words" Yilverth gestured to the translator/their new buddy "It was already like this before they dug a new gallery. Let's be careful. Tigerpaw, do you want to go ahead with me for a little scouting? We seem the most... Ah... Sneaky fellows among those who can take a surprise punch"

Bobthewizard
2023-03-08, 07:54 PM
Orc Champion 1

Gorak agrees with Yilverth's plan. He grabs his ball and chain with both hands and prepares to go towards the stinky lizards. He looks to the translator,

"You lead the way. We come with you."

davyjones
2023-03-09, 03:27 PM
"...Tigerpaw, do you want to go ahead with me for a little scouting? We seem the most... Ah... Sneaky fellows among those who can take a surprise punch"

"Yes, let's take a look," Tigerpaw responds. "I'm interested in finding out what these 'stinky lizards' actually are."

Without further ado, the cat pads quietly to the left, working his way carefully through the shallowest part of the water.

Tigerpaw Stealth +7
[roll0]

Xihirli
2023-03-09, 07:44 PM
The translator kobold weighed down by traps looks alarmed, but agrees to accompany you to the stinky lizards... but not fight them.
Half-walking, half-climbing up from the water pooling at the bottom, the heroes reach a new area. There is an overpowering stench in this chamber, like rotten fish mixed with oily sweat. The warm, humid air only adds to the foul atmosphere. Unlike the previous chambers, this one appears to be a natural cavern, dotted with limestone stalactites and stalagmites, making it hard to see where the room ends.

The kobold points down a few ridges at three reptilian humanoids seated, their weapons at their sides, reeking as they squabble over a piece of meat that one of them is biting and that the other two are tugging on.
"Stinky lizards," the translator whispers.

Roll it. Stealth or Perception. Tigerpaw, yours is 13.
Xulgaths [roll0]
Translator [roll1]

Bobthewizard
2023-03-09, 08:06 PM
Orc Champion 1

Gorak moves forward, two hands on his ball and chain. On the one hand, he wonders why we are fighting for these kobolds if they won't even help. On the other, these creatures seem foul and likely need to be destroyed. He tries to think if he knows what these creatures are and what their fighting capabilities might be.

"What are these stinky lizards?"

He follows the monks into battle.

Initiative [roll0]

Action 1: Recall Knowledge, Warfare [roll1]
Action 2: Move forward
Action 3: Ready action to attack if they get within 10' of me

Valmark
2023-03-10, 02:04 AM
"Crap, they seem intelligent beings" Yilverth murmured to the others "Maybe we should try talking to them first? Get them to leave the kobolds alone?"

Stealth! [roll0]

ahyangyi
2023-03-10, 01:20 PM
Human(Sylph) Sorcerer 1
Holding a shield

"Hopefully" Adriel whispers, and he attempts to figure out what these creatures are.

Replaced the torch with the shield assuming there is light in the room. (see question in OOC thread)
Stealth: 1d20+6 --> 19 (rolled in the OOC thread)

Action 1: recall knowledge (Society)
[roll0]

Xihirli
2023-03-10, 02:27 PM
Adriel
Gorak
Tigerpaw
Xulgaths
Yilverth
Trapmaster Kobold

Adriel, Tigerpaw, whatcha doin

davyjones
2023-03-11, 12:17 PM
"I don't know, they seem rather primitive," Tigerpaw muses quietly. "We may find the same language barrier as before."

But, in his mind, the big cat would rather get them to coexist peacefully or move on, rather than attack them unprovoked. "Let's say hello, but be ready for a fight."

Tigerpaw takes a few steps forward and calls out in the common tongue, "Hello, there! I hope you can understand me."

Action 1, move to 15 feet or so away from the trio.
Action 2, be diplomatic!

Xihirli
2023-03-11, 12:26 PM
Immediately upon noticing them, the foul-smelling lizards shriek and look for their weapons.

davyjones
2023-03-11, 12:52 PM
Putting his hands out, palms up, as a sign of peace, he intones, "Please, I just want to talk. Can you understand me?"

He repeats the line in his native tongue, then in goblin.

The idea is that he's trying to use simple gestures to augment a calm tone to convey a peaceful stance, hopefully allowing him to make a Diplomacy check (Make an Impression).

If it's clear he has failed in this regard, his Third Action will be to enter into his Tiger Stance.

ahyangyi
2023-03-11, 03:24 PM
Human(Sylph) Sorcerer 1
Holding a shield (raised)

Having failed to recognize the those "stinky lizards" are, as well as seeing their potentially hostile actions, Adriel makes a final peace attempt via intimidation. "We want peace, but don't try our patience." And he raises his shield just in case.

Action 1: Recall knowledge ( in the previous thread)
Action 2: Intimidation (demoralize) [roll0]
Action 3: Raise a shield

Xihirli
2023-03-11, 08:42 PM
Sadly peace was not achieved this time, and the three stinky lizards snatched up their weapons and sprinted for the group, fangs bared and clubs in hand, two of them flanking Gorak and a third in Tigerpaw's face. They snarl, and smelling their breath... it's nothing the approach prepared you all for.
The kobold who led them down sprinted away back where they'd come.

1. Pick up Weapon
2. Stand
3. Stride over

ORDER:
Adriel
Gorak
Tigerpaw
Xulgaths
Yilverth
Trapmaster Kobold

As you take your turns, I'm gonna need DC 19 Fortitude Saves to avoid being affected by the stench, meaning you'll take a –1 status penalty to all checks and DCs until you use an action to retch.

Bobthewizard
2023-03-11, 08:59 PM
Orc Champion 1

As the lizards approach with their weapons, Gorak flicks the heavy metal ball forward at the first one. He then moves to get away from their flanking and attacks two more times. He looks over to see the fleeing kobold and laughs since this of course was going to happen.

"Well, so much for our guide."

He turns back to the enemy and continues to swing the meteor hammer, trying to finish these lizards quickly and protect his friends.

Previous Reaction: Readied attack [roll0], [roll1] on #1

Action 1: Stride 10' away from flanking lizards, staying within 15' of Tigerpaw, Yelvirth, and Adrien if possible
Action 2: Attack 1 [roll2], [roll3] on #1
Action 3: Attack 2 [roll4], [roll5] on #1

Next Reaction is Retributive Strike/Ranged Reprisal if they hit one of my allies within 15' of me
(includes 5' step if needed)
[roll6], [roll7] on first enemy to trigger it
and Ally gains 3 resistance to the triggering attack

davyjones
2023-03-11, 11:43 PM
The big cat has never smelled anything so offensive to his nose. It penetrated deep into his Jacobsen Organ and he couldn't get it out. Soon, he was retching to rid himself of the godsawful stench.

But, it gives him a moment of clarity, and he strikes out quickly at his immediate opponent.

Action 1. Retch
Action 2. Flurry of Blows (Tiger Stance) vs. third critter, melee +7/+3, 1d8 slashing
Action 3. Tiger Claw vs. third critter, melee -1, 1d8 slashing

Flurry #1
[roll0], [roll1]

Flurry #2
[roll2], [roll3]

Tiger Claw
[roll4], [roll5]

Please, please, please, let these critters have an AC of 12...

Valmark
2023-03-12, 08:27 AM
"Gh-!" Yilverth took a step back as the overpowering stench threatened to make him retch. But he steeled himself.
"I'm sorry- but I'm done running away!" he yelled out mostly to psyche himself up and tumbled behind a troglodyte stinky lizard, burying his fists into its back.

Assuming a Step is enough, Yilverth will flank one of the xulgaths on Gorak and then Flurry+Strike.

[roll0] [roll1]
[roll2] [roll3]
[roll4] [roll5]

Seeing the kobold run, Yilverth shrugged "Come on, don't be hard on the poor fellow. She never signed up for fighting them- it's already enough she guided us"

ahyangyi
2023-03-12, 11:24 AM
Human(Sylph) Sorcerer 1
Focus: 0/1, Spells: 3/3, Conditions: none
Holding a shield

Adriel sighs, then ups his voice in casting his revengeful magic. Lightning and wind shoot from his hands.

Fortitude: [roll0] against DC 19

Action 1 & 2: Electric Arc
Two targets
DC: 17 Basic Reflex (stench penalty not included)
Damage: [roll1] electricity

Action 3: Elemental Toss
One target, preferably an injured stinky lizard since the damage is unreliable
To-hit: [roll2] (stench penalty not included)
Damage: [roll3] bledgeoning

If not within 30ft range, I'll move first and not use that elemetnal toss.

Xihirli
2023-03-12, 06:44 PM
The quickest of the stinky lizards jumps over Gorak's chains and runs up to the orc, swiping twice at the Champion to no avail.
The next to arrive takes a heavy metal ball to the side but insistently clubs at Tigerpaw. It makes contact, then gets immediately brained in the back of the head and collapses dead.
The third goes after Yilverth and also succeeds one of its blows, but then both remaining reptiles are sparked with lightning that gives their horrible odor a distinctive charring scent. It does not make it better, but Tigerpaw is able to get a light scratch into one of those still standing.

Xulgath 1 is DEAD
Xulgath 2 and 3 are bloodied and in the faces of Gorak and Yilverth respectively.

ORDER:
Adriel
Gorak
Tigerpaw
Xulgaths
Yilverth

Tigerpaw takes 8 bludgeoning damage; Yilverth takes 7.

Bobthewizard
2023-03-12, 06:57 PM
Orc Champion 1

Gorak moves to make sure he is flanking one of the lizards, and within 15' of everyone, before swinging his ball and chain at it.

Rolls do not include status or circumstance modifiers.

Action 1: Stride to flank lizard, staying within 15' of Tigerpaw, Yelvirth, and Adrien if possible
Action 2: Attack 1 [roll0], [roll1]
Action 3: Attack 2 [roll2], [roll3]

Next Reaction is Retributive Strike/Ranged Reprisal if they hit one of my allies within 15' of me
(includes 5' step if needed)
[roll4], [roll5] on first enemy to trigger it
and Ally gains 3 resistance to the triggering attack

ahyangyi
2023-03-14, 02:22 PM
Human(Sylph) Sorcerer 1
Holding a shield

Adriel casts another forked lightning at the remaining two Xulgaths, "Surrender or die!".

Two targets
DC: 16 Basic Reflex (stench penalty included)
Damage: [roll0] electricity
Action 3: Demoralize at any remaining Xulgath
[roll1] against Will (stench penalty and language penalty included)

Xihirli
2023-03-14, 04:19 PM
After getting smashed, the Xulgath hiss and limp to their feet only to get zapped back onto their grounds. Their bodies spasm as electricity travels down them, and then they lay still.

They do not taste any better dead.

Tigerpaw grab a Hero Point.

davyjones
2023-03-15, 04:09 PM
Tigerpaw breathes a sigh of relief, then twitches his whiskers. "It's a shame we couldn't negotiate some way to let the kobolds pass," he says. "Poor creatures."

Leaning to look up the way they came, he tries to spy their interpreter. "They're gone. It's safe to come in."

Bobthewizard
2023-03-16, 08:36 AM
Orc Champion 1

Gorak moves over to tiger paw and heals him, a soft glow appearing between his hands and Tigerpaw's wounds. He then sits and prays for a couple minutes. Once he finishes that, he gets up, ready to head back to the kobolds.

Tigerpaw regains 6HP, then Gorak refocuses.

ahyangyi
2023-03-16, 01:47 PM
Human(Sylph) Sorcerer 1
Holding a shield

"I..." Adriel sighs again, and asks, "what have I done?" Then he falls into silence, and then the silence changes to murmured prayers as he follows Gorak's example. He then contemplates the events and his choices leading to this.

A few minutes later, he breaks his own silence again, "Sorry, perhaps it is not the time to get troubled. I'm ready to go on."

OOC-speaking, it's just refocus to get that focus point back...

Valmark
2023-03-16, 06:02 PM
I'm alive I swear.

Also Yilverth would like to Treat Wounds himself.
[roll0] and [roll1] hp regained hopefully.

Yilverth's hands went for his healing tools, sighing after the fight was over. After taking several steps back from the horrendous smell.
"You protected your companions" he told Adriel, wincing as he patched himself up "Those... Uuuuh... Stinky lizards I suppose... Weren't going to spare us. Let's face it- we kinda came in armed and speaking an unknown language, accompanying their enemy. And that's before considering that, according to the kobolds, they were tecnically cannibals keeping them separated from the rest of the tribe. Using cannibals as a loose term" he tried to force a smile despite the gruesome subject and leaving out the fact that they tecnically struck first.

"They were probably not good people and in either case we could have been dead. I got hit bad there. So... Thanks, you all. Still haven't gotten used to the whole violence bit of traveling"

He glanced down at himself.
"Luckily, I remember most of what's needed to patch myself up after the violence. So, room with the floating spheres?" he started heading back, holding his spear again.

Xihirli
2023-03-17, 08:03 AM
The heroes take a moment to regather themselves and patch up. Tigerpaw starts heading up before a thought occurs:
Since meeting the kobolds, the group is for the first time unobserved, not being watched by the kobolds. Anything can be said and any plans can be made.

Is there anything you would all like to do or say before/instead of returning to the kobolds?

davyjones
2023-03-17, 11:20 AM
The big cat pauses, his face taking on a thoughtful countenance. "You know, we've been pulled into this; we have no idea what these kobolds want, what their boss wants, besides his share of that treasure," he ponders. "My curiosity will carry me further, but I want to make sure we don't get too far from our original mission to help Taminy with her cellar problem.

"What do you fine folks want to do, and what do you want to do if we go forward to meet this 'boss'?"

Valmark
2023-03-17, 12:19 PM
Yilverth stopped, looking at Tigerpaw quizically.

"I figured after helping these few reunite with their people we see who this Boss is and what are their intentions" he twirled the spear in his hands.

"Right now, we just helped people in need- but if the kobolds are to become aggressors, there's only one thing left to do, at least if we can't work a deal out. The stragglers we helped have been reasonable, but they don't call the shots clearly and we also need to see where they came from- if there's an even deeper part to this place, it would be good for Otori's people and the kobolds to live in harmony" Yilverth glanced at Gorak before the next words, since he was from Otori as far as the elf had understood.
"Assuming Otori's people aren't going to be the aggressors. But... I doubt they would come down here to slaughter innocents"

Bobthewizard
2023-03-17, 02:08 PM
Orc Champion 1

Gorak nods in agreement at Yilverth's assessment. It never crosses his mind to just leave.

"I won't attack them first. We should go in and see if they plan to deal with us honorably. I am skeptical that they mean to let us out alive, but we need to determine how many there are, and what threat they might pose to Otori, so be ready to defend yourselves should they initiate anything."

ahyangyi
2023-03-17, 02:48 PM
Human(Sylph) Sorcerer 1
Holding a shield

"I'm starting to feel that there's more trouble beneath Otari than we could handle in one day," Adriel says, "but I agree that we should pay the kobold boss a visit. Hopefully we can report back with a definitive peaceful promise from the boss. Still," Adriel raises his shield, "stay on guard."

Xihirli
2023-03-19, 12:14 PM
Before heading back to the kobolds, the heroes notice two exits to this chamber other than the way they came, one going down and the other curving up and around.

Returning to the chamber with the kobolds, the translator sniffs you all and gags. "You all smell gross! I think you got some of their guts on you! That will not wash out for a long time! Come, we take you to kobold boss! He is thankful, thankful for you killing the stinky lizards!"

The passage earlier noted, with the pulsing orbs, is not the one the translator begins pointing down. Rather she is urging you to go back up to where you all met the green-scaled kobolds.

ahyangyi
2023-03-19, 01:59 PM
Human(Sylph) Sorcerer 1
Holding a shield

"Wait", Adriel asks, "didn't you say 'stinky lizards on the way to Boss (https://forums.giantitp.com/showsinglepost.php?p=25723550&postcount=103)'? Why are you leading us back?"

Xihirli
2023-03-19, 03:30 PM
"On a way, on a way! We seal that off to keep them from eating us!" the kobold explains.

Bobthewizard
2023-03-19, 06:38 PM
Orc Champion 1

Gorak follows the kobolds, making sure they can see the blood and guts of the stinky lizards on his ball and chain.

"We should come back and investigate these other tunnels after we finish our dealing with the kobolds."

Elemental lanterns in room
Two other tunnels in stinky lizard room

davyjones
2023-03-20, 03:55 PM
His ears slipping to the side a bit, Tigerpaw responds, "Indeed." He follows his companions.

"I wonder what sort of magics would be needed to repair the water orb?"

ahyangyi
2023-03-21, 01:11 PM
Human(Sylph) Sorcerer 1
Holding a shield

Adriel follows the team as well. "Do you guys know anything about the orbs?", he asks the translator.

Xihirli
2023-03-21, 07:02 PM
"Glow! Fire! Death!" The kobold shouts and leads back to the green kobolds, then over to the left.

While much of this rectangular chamber is in ruins, the center contains a fountain of pristine water with something glittering at the bottom. In the middle of the fountain is a marble statue of a mermaid, her lips pursed as if she were about to blow a kiss, or maybe whistle. Each corner of the pool has some sort of mechanism embedded in the stones, but the one in the southwest corner appears to be smashed.

"Trap! Ready to run past as fast as possible!"

Bobthewizard
2023-03-22, 08:42 AM
Orc Champion 1

Gorak prepares to run if any kind of trap is sprung, but he waits for the kobold and the others to go first, making sure he is last so no one else gets left behind.

"Be careful, everyone."

davyjones
2023-03-23, 01:00 PM
"What triggers it?" Tigerpaw wonders aloud, standing near the chamber's entrance. "And what does it do?"

Xihirli
2023-03-23, 02:52 PM
"Go!" The kobolds run through and the mermaid statue swivels in the statue, spraying powerful jets of water at the kobolds out of her mouth.
"Run! Run! Aahbbbrebbrrlb!" The translator kobold got slammed into the wall, pinned by the pressurized water.
"Help! Help, big things!"

Bobthewizard
2023-03-23, 07:45 PM
Orc Champion 1

Gorak tries to move as quickly as possible, but he grabs the translator goblin on his way. Fortunately, the kobold weighs almost nothing. Once he pulls it out of the water, he continues to move.

"We are putting a lot of energy into helping these kobolds. I hope it is worth it."

Despite his complaint, he protects the kobold from any further water sprays.

davyjones
2023-03-24, 10:25 AM
Tigerpaw twitches his whiskers at the sight of the kobold getting pinned by the fountain, then moves with alacrity through the chamber.

"Oh, it's not all that bad," he quips as he dodges the spray. "Meeting them has inspired me to study more languages!"

ahyangyi
2023-03-24, 12:04 PM
Human(Sylph) Sorcerer 1
Holding a shield

Adriel quickly runs through, dodging that pressurized water. "There are quite something under this town, I'm impressed." Then he continues his duty: another detect magic to check the mermaid and the four corners of the room.

Xihirli
2023-03-24, 09:46 PM
Adriel determines that there is magic.

They manage to skirt through the fountain room with the mermaid spurting after them, and they enter into a wall of stench... luckily not nearly so bad as the Xulgaths. Just rotten fish and mold. On the west side of this vast room is a large table with benches on either side. Old food scraps, dirty knives, and broken plates cover the table. Off to the east side, burrows have been dug into the wall to make small sleeping chambers filled with straw mats. The area is basically crawling with kobolds who freeze, staring at the newcomers.

The trapmaster springs forward and shouts a few phrases in draconic and the kobolds stop looking for weapons... but are still frozen, uneasy.
"Boss is through this way. She needs treasure for dragon!"

ahyangyi
2023-03-27, 11:47 AM
Human(Sylph) Sorcerer 1
Holding a shield

"Dragon? Can you tell me more about the dragon? Are they the boss of your boss?" Adriel wasn't really expecting that the kobold king has an overboss. It... escalates more quickly than he could ever anticipate.

davyjones
2023-03-27, 04:23 PM
"What was this place, I wonder?" Tigerpaw muses as they enter the new chamber. Statues of gods, mystical fountain traps, orbs representing the four elements of the world, all mixed in what appeared to have once been well appointed rooms. All underground...well, at least underground now. Perhaps this is a place in the old city?

He is so caught up in his own thoughts that he almost misses the interpreter's revelation. "Dragon?" he says, looking to his companions, momentarily caught off guard by the idea. But, then, he dismisses the shock with a shrug his shoulders. Of course, there's a dragon in the middle of all this.

He turns his attention to their blue-scaled guide, waiting for the answer to Adriel's question.

Valmark
2023-03-28, 07:18 PM
Sorry for the radio silence, now I should be back online with reasonable frequency. Got a funeral tomorrow, but that's the only thing left.

Yilverth had been minding his own business trying to forget the stench. He had spent most of his admittedly short life trying to avoid fighting, and now he was knee deep in death, blood and whatever made the lizards' breath so stinky.

It had left him a little fazed.

"Wait, dragon?" he echoed the others "Huh" and put his weapon back in his holster again. When in doubt, he didn't want to provoke anybody.

Xihirli
2023-03-29, 08:58 AM
"Dragon! Baby! Not ready to take over boss yet – needs treasure and food, yes," the translator explains. "Come, bring offerings for dragon to Boss!" The kobold waves the group toward natural stone steps yet again, struggling to climb up them herself with her limited height.

Valmark
2023-03-29, 06:49 PM
"Hoh, a tiny baby dragon?" Yilverth actually smiled "So wait... Your boss is giving the dragon offerings so that the dragon can... Take over? Why would she do that?"

He offered the kobold help climbing the steps.
"So, uhm... What color is the dragon? Where did you even find it?" he inquired. He didn't want to kill a baby, but it it was big enough to demand food and treasure there was a risk it could command the kobolds to attack them. It paid to be prepared.

davyjones
2023-03-30, 11:24 AM
"That...that could spell trouble for the city, actually...in a century or so," Tigerpaw isn't exactly certain on the growth of dragons, but he knows they don't become adults for many, many decades. Wrinkling his nose, he realizes he doesn't remember how he knows that...

"Even more important," he adds. "Where does the dragon plan to rule once it's grown?"

ahyangyi
2023-03-30, 01:54 PM
Human(Sylph) Sorcerer 1
Holding a shield

"Perhaps it's a kobold culture thing?". Adriel doesn't try to hide how surprised he is, but also tries to show some attempt at understanding.

Xihirli
2023-04-01, 11:05 AM
"That...that could spell trouble for the city, actually...in a century or so," Tigerpaw isn't exactly certain on the growth of dragons, but he knows they don't become adults for many, many decades. Wrinkling his nose, he realizes he doesn't remember how he knows that...

"Even more important," he adds. "Where does the dragon plan to rule once it's grown?"

The kobold points up.
"Not centuries, no! More kobolds, many colors, are being called! Very soon, few weeks, we shall bring the joy of being ruled by dragon to surface town! You will like dragon, yes! Green, Boss raised it from an egg! People who come down to give offering will be honored! Come, come!" The trapmaster beckons insistently and continues trying to lead our heroes north.

Quick reminder, there are a LOT of kobolds around at the moment. You might very well be able to fight your way out but you'd need a lot of rolls to go your way.

Valmark
2023-04-01, 07:11 PM
"Have you... Ah... Considered living down here and letting the city above... Be? They already have rulers they like, you know?" Yilverth tried suggesting, mostly to suss out the general mood before talking to the head kobold. He glanced at his group and shrugged.
It really looked like a diplomatic relationship was flying out of the window fast, though it didn't seem the moment for immediate hostile action.

ahyangyi
2023-04-02, 01:17 PM
Human(Sylph) Sorcerer 1
Holding a shield

"Your forces are so numerous and strong, makes me wonder: you guys could have dealt with the stinky lizards if you wanted?" Adriel asks in a curious voice.

Also, Adriel look around, and as well as tries to looks for any potential escape routes.

davyjones
2023-04-03, 03:08 PM
Tigerpaw leans toward Gorak and notes quietly, "I'm not exactly keen on the idea of a dragon trying to take power on the surface -" he looks around at the kobolds in numbers "- though I doubt we're in a position to do much about it on our own. I think we need to complete our task and retreat to the surface as soon as feasible to contact the authorities."

Bobthewizard
2023-04-04, 09:12 AM
Orc Champion 1

Gorak follows the kobolds along with the others. He keeps his ball and chain ready but makes sure it isn't threatening. He speaks quietly to Tigerpaw, Adriel and Yilverth, making sure the kobolds don't hear him.

"I agree. Let's find out how big this dragon is and keep track of how many kobolds we see. If more are coming, and they plan to invade, we need to warn the town."

He then speaks up to the kobolds, "Perhaps we could help. If we talk to them, maybe the town would welcome the dragon instead of resisting. You have treated us well. Can we trust you further?"

Xihirli
2023-04-05, 08:06 AM
The kobold leads on and holds her snout. "Disgusting! Don't like going near stinky lizards!"
"Boss says dragons like getting a big area. Plus, more fish up there than down here!" The trapmaster hollers to Yilverth.

A gaping pit opens in the floor in the center of this large, natural chamber. On the far side, a ledge overlooks the entry. Atop this ledge is an ornate stone throne that looks entirely out of place for this room. A regal kobold wearing an oversized crown made of fish bones sits atop the throne. It calls down in draconic to the two green-scaled kobold guards down beneath the throne, and they approach with weapons drawn. After a few shouts between the trapmaster, bowing, and the thronesitter, the thronesitter stands up.

"You wish to bring your sacrifices before my dragon?" She asks.

ahyangyi
2023-04-05, 01:08 PM
Human(Sylph) Sorcerer 1
Holding a shield

Adriel nods to Gorak. He then answers the thronesitter, "Yes, it is my honor to present the sacrifice to... your dragon".

The short pause before "your dragon" because Adriel wondered what honorifics should be used here, before deciding to just go with the thronesitter's wording.

Bobthewizard
2023-04-05, 01:47 PM
Orc Champion 1

Gorak holds the chest out to the kobold lead, opening it to show him the coins that are left after everyone in our party took what they wanted, so mostly copper coins left.

"We have treasure for you and your dragon. We killed the stinky lizards for you and helped your kobolds gather this."

davyjones
2023-04-05, 02:55 PM
"A valuable addition to any horde," Tigerpaw chips in, not hiding his amusement at the absurdity of the moment with a casually swaying tail and ears lowered slightly to the side. He steps forward slightly and adds, "Your...ah, Lordship. If I may impose upon you, we'd be interested in the tale of how you came to possess your dragon."

Xihirli
2023-04-06, 09:24 AM
"Ah, yes. The tale of how I got the dragon. I shall impart it on you."
The blue kobold with you hops in excitement. "We are to hear the story of the dragon! You will like, yes!"
"Hush, Macku. I am telling."
The blue kobold jitters and falls silent.
The green-scaled thronesitter, with great gravity and importance, imparts to you all the story:
"Egg."
Macku cries. "Is so beautiful."

"You say you have offering?" The thronesitter darts over to get a look into the box.
"Yes, yes. My dragon will be happy to see these! Go, give your offering! I will get his food and meet you for feeding time! Macku, help me gather the fish!"
The trapmaster you’ve been following nods excitedly.
"Yes, Great Dume. You all go ahead to the dragon we will be along."

davyjones
2023-04-06, 05:48 PM
The big cat avoids laughing at the spectacle before him, but just barely. He casts a mirthful glance to his compatriots after the tale is so reverently and efficiently told. Nodding to Macku - it's nice to finally know their guide's name - he turns to the others and says, "Let's go get a look at this dragon."

While their goals may be a bit, well, misplaced, Tigerpaw decides he likes this group of dragonkin.

Bobthewizard
2023-04-07, 08:23 AM
Orc Champion 1

Gorak settles in to listen to the story of the dragon. He sets down the chest and looks expectantly at the leader. He looks around a little confused at the brevity of the story and almost laughs when he hears the blue kobold rejoice at the one word tale. But he contains himself and picks up the chest again.

"Yes. That is a beautiful story. I wish I could have seen the egg."

He follows the kobolds.

Valmark
2023-04-08, 06:23 AM
Yilverth didn't seem to enjoy the story, though he forced out a smile. The antics of the kobolds were less endearing now that they knew their plans.

"Direction of the dragon?" Yilverth inquired, seemingly understanding that the trapmaster and the thronesitter weren't coming with just yet.
Maybe they could snuff out the baby dragon before it became a problem, then run away from the mass of kobolds.

ahyangyi
2023-04-08, 02:56 PM
Human(Sylph) Sorcerer 1
Holding a shield

"Macku, I'm Adriel." Adriel wasn't actually happy with how things are going, but tried to remain calm and friendly, "Which direction should we go to?"

Xihirli
2023-04-08, 08:49 PM
The kobolds point you on to a wide section of the tunnels further in.
Towering yellow mushrooms cover the floor of this vast cave, some reaching over ten feet in height. They seem to emit a pale light, giving the entire chamber an eerie glow. Shattered remnants of barrels—torn open with their contents nowhere to be seen—lay scattered around the base of the mushrooms. Somewhere off on the far side of the chamber, something stirs, and a faint snarl comes from the shadows.
"Who dares approach the great dragon Iruini, the plague of this and every world!?" And revealing itself, leaping from the mushrooms (but not attacking immediately) came a green dragon, as small as they come, staring at you all through the eye on the right side of its face.

davyjones
2023-04-10, 01:13 AM
What's was the old rhyme he and his friends sang when they were kits?

Black, green, blue, red; avoid them all lest you be dead.
White will freeze you with a glare.
Copper, brass, bronze, gold; with these you can be bold.
Silver be font of kindness and care.

A green dragon will not be the friend to the people of Otari.

"Oh, we're here to pay homage to you, great Iruini," Tigerpaw says. "We were told the incredible tale of your association with this kobold tribe, and were so intrigued that we just had to meet you."

It is, underwhelming, to be honest. Such a scrap of a thing that he himself seems to be larger in most ways. But, he's also not stupid enough to think that he and his friends are powerful enough against even a wyrmling.

Bobthewizard
2023-04-10, 06:11 AM
Orc Champion 1

Gorak sets the chest down, opens it and stands back, holding his chain with both hands, but making sure he isn't threatening. He nods at the dragon, showing deference and respect.

"We brought this for you, oh great Iruini. You are a magnificent looking dragon. We have a couple of questions for you. What are your plans when you get to the surface? How could we help you?"

Macku, translator kobold
Iruini, green dragon

ahyangyi
2023-04-11, 12:53 PM
Human(Sylph) Sorcerer 1
Holding a shield

"May these treasures make your glorious hoard even more glittering" Adriel says as Gorak opens the chest, trying his best to cover his annoyance at giving anything to such a dangerous foe.

Xihirli
2023-04-11, 01:55 PM
Iruini bounds forward and sticks his face into the chest of coppers, chewing through a mouthful of the coins.
"Mmmph, hmmph…" he mumbled. "Yes, a mighty addition to my hoard!" He preens and hops before you all.
"Yes, you have chosen a great dragon to pay homage to! Behold! My scales are like the greatest of armor!"
His scales are not fully grown in yet, he still has mostly thin baby scales that don’t do much to protect him.
"My horns sharp as the greatest of spears!"
The tips are quite blunt.
"My every tooth a greatsword!"
He bares his fangs. He has most of them, though they’re not that bad.
"My tail strikes with the greatest swiftness and the power of the strongest club!" He swishes his tail and slams it into one of the nearby mushrooms. It doesn’t fall over but it shakes a little.
"All shall quake before me and bow in deference or choke in poison!"

Bobthewizard
2023-04-12, 07:53 AM
Orc Champion 1

Gorak looks around, notices that there are no kobolds in here with us, and can see the hesitation in the eyes of his partners. He knows this dragon is telling the truth and will grow up to terrorize the villages above. While he has heard of some young chromatic dragons being raised from a hatchling by a good parent and turning away from their evil instincts, he realizes that it is too late for this one.

Without a word, he swings his ball and chain and tries to smack it on the head. He addresses the action to his friends.

"We can't let this let this dragon grow up."

Initiative [roll0]
Action 1: move to flank and separate to avoid all of us being hit by a breath weapon
Action 2: attack [roll1], damage [roll2]
Action 3: attack [roll3], damage [roll4]

Macku, translator kobold
Iruini, green dragon

davyjones
2023-04-12, 04:12 PM
Tigerpaw's eyes grow wide when Gorak attacks the wyrmling, his ears flattening at sudden escalation.

"I was hoping we could've gathered reinforcements before engaging the beast," he sighs as he shifts into combat mode. Too late now. We're committed, no matter what.

He moves quickly to the dragon's flank opposite Gorak and strikes out with speed and precision.

Initiative (Perception) - [roll0]
1st Action - Tiger Stance
2nd Action - Move (to dragon's flank, as opposite of Gorak as he can get)...if this only requires 10 feet of movement, this becomes a Step (as per Tiger Stance)
3rd Action - Flurry of Blows (Tiger Stance Claws)
Tigerclaw Flurry #1 - [roll1] - if this is a crit (doubtful), Tigerpaw also applies 1d4 persistent bleed damage
Tigerclaw Flurry #2 - [roll2]
#1 Slashing Damage - [roll3]
#2 Slashing Damage - [roll4]

Xihirli
2023-04-12, 05:29 PM
Iruini, seeing Gorak going for him, reeled up in surprise and let out a puff of poison and a roar in Gorak's direction, shaking the orc's bones. Moving in response to Gorak's motions faster than the orc himself is the catfolk, darting in with a claw into Iruini's side, ripping off three scales. The dragon's voice flared in anger, but Gorak's ball and chain slammed into its shoulder and then aimed for its head, but it managed to bring an arm up that still painfully crunched but at least wasn't its head.

"Impudent... ungrateful...!"

I cannot seem to correct the spelling error in the threads and it's getting embarrassing.

Anyhow! Dragon just reacts in surprise to your aggression and deals a mere 4 poison damage to Gorak and inflicts Frightened 1, a penalty that fails to stop both of Gorak's attacks from landing when factoring in Flat Footed. (Also, Frightened 1 goes away at the end of Gorak’s turn)

Dragon is currently at 22 damage, it's Adriel and Yilverth now.

ahyangyi
2023-04-13, 01:48 PM
Human(Sylph) Sorcerer 1
Holding a shield

Having to play all the way along with the kobolds and the dragon after they revealed their nasty plan wasn't fun. Gorak's initiation of the battle was a good opportunity to vent.

Adriel shoots a lightning bolt and a wind bolt at the dragon.

Damage: [roll0] electricity
Basic Reflex Save, DC 17

Action 3: Elemental Toss (Focus spell)
To-hit: [roll1]
Damage: [roll2] bludgeoning

Xihirli
2023-04-17, 04:03 PM
Yilverth lunges forward and spears into the dragon's hindquarters. Iruini shrieks and tenses the very instant Adriel's lightning crashes into him, sending jolts of lightning through the dragon's bones and shaking him.

Iruini's eyes go furious and he becomes a whirlwind of limbs, a tail sailing for Yilverth's head, claws darting at Gorak and Tigerpaw's chest. While the monk manages to duck out of the way, both of the warriors flanking the dragon get long gashes across their midsections. Snarling, the dragon jumps forward to bite off Gorak's head, but Gorak is able to lift the metal ball into his path and...

I assume you'll want to plug some sort of championy reaction in there, Bob.

Forgot to roll the reflex save against the electric arc here and just grabbed a die, natural 1 so that'll be 14 electricity damage. Anything else on a critical failure, Adriel?
With Yilverth dealing 4 piercing that brings the dargon to 40 damage.

Iruini then normal hits Tigerpaw and Gorak for 10 slashing damage each, and misses with everything else.

It's all of you.

Bobthewizard
2023-04-17, 04:39 PM
Orc Champion 1
AC: 18 HP: 15/24
Focus: 0/1, Conditions: none

Gorak gets covered in poison, frightened, and then slashed. He's not feeling great about his choice, but there's nothing else to do now. He keeps attacking, swinging once when the dragon hits Tigerpaw and then again one more time. He then lets go of the chain with one hand and heals himself before regripping his weapon.

"Keep it up everyone."

Reaction: Retributive Strike: [roll0], Damage: [roll1]
Action 1: Attack: [roll2], Damage: [roll3]
Free Action: Let go of hammer with one hand
Action 2: Lay on Hands on self for 6HP
Action 3: Grab hammer

Macku, translator kobold
Iruini, green dragon

Valmark
2023-04-18, 07:00 PM
"You're a- uff-!" Yilverth groaned a little getting his head bludgeoned "As I was saying... You're a danger to everybody else, dragon. Can't let you grow up- I won't stand by while I watch a monster grow into a tyrant!" he lunged with his spear twice, stepping around the dragon to get into a better position.

"Also we can't be ungrateful if you haven't done anything besides sit tight and fatten up on gold and fish"

Yeah, let's trash talk a baby!

Yilverth will Step to get into flanking position if possible and then Strike twice. I should really get him something else to do with the third action.

[roll0] [roll1]
[roll2] [roll3]

In case of crit:
[roll4]
[roll5]

ahyangyi
2023-04-19, 01:53 PM
Human(Sylph) Sorcerer 1
Focus: 0/1, Spells: 2/3, Conditions: none
Holding a shield

Seeing the dragon hitting hard his teammates, Adriel goes a little closer and casts Swirling Hands*. Turbulent winds strike at the dragon.

*: it's burning hands, except not burning at all.

Electric Arc has many benefits, but... critical effect isn't among them :(

Action 1: move up
Action 2 & 3: Swirling Hands, triggering Blood magic (+1 damage)

Damage: [roll0] Bludgeoning
DC 17 basic reflex

davyjones
2023-04-20, 11:41 AM
The big cat isn't exactly keen on being potential dragon food, so he redoubles his efforts to knock the beast down, then steps back to get out of the way of its attacks.

Action 1: Flurry of Tiger Claws +7/+3 (1d8 slashing)
First Attack/Damage: [roll0] / [roll1]
Second Attack/Damage: [roll2] - spent Hero Point to Reroll, result of 15 / [roll3]

Action 2: Tiger Claw -1
Attack/Damage: [roll4] / [roll5]

Action 3: Step (10 ft.) away from the dragon.

Xihirli
2023-04-21, 09:32 AM
Man, and Iruini's breath just recharged, too.

After the Dragon's flurry of attacks, the party piled upon it. As Iruini lunges at Gorak, his teeth close around the massive metal ball, shattering on impact. The dragon roars and lifts its wings to take off, get away from you all, but buffeting wings catch its flight and it merely falls again, the tail flailing for Adriel's head. However, Yilverth's spear comes up and impales into the base of the tail, allowing the monk to use it as a handle to yank the dragon's blow off-course.

Landing with its face in front of Gorak, the dragon opens its maw, poison gathering inside of its throat. Tigerpaw pounces like a jungle cat, landing on the dragon's mouth and forcing it shut so that the convulsing dragon's poison spewed up through its nostrils harmlessly.

It is then that the beaten, surrounded, buffeted and wounded dragon's eyes shut and its frame collapses.

And the green wyrmling before you all lies dead at your feet.

Bobthewizard
2023-04-22, 06:31 AM
Orc Champion 1

Gorak wipes the sweat and blood form his face, coughing a couple more times to rid his lungs of the poison. He looks down on the dead dragon wyrmling with mild contempt, knowing it would have grown to be a menace. He's glad it is dead, but he realizes that we may now be in even more danger.

"Do we try to sneak out of here, or do we cut off this thing's head and present it to the kobolds? We could show them the head and try telling them that we are their new leaders. If we want to do this, we should rest for a bit first."

Macku, translator kobold
Iruini, green dragon - DEAD

ahyangyi
2023-04-22, 02:15 PM
Human(Sylph) Sorcerer 1
Holding a shield

"Resting is probably a good idea". Adriel looks at the injured companions, a bit sad that he can't heal them.

"... and, where is Macku now?"

davyjones
2023-04-22, 08:43 PM
"With the boss, I think, who is the one we probably have to kill to claim leadership," Tigerpaw answers as he begins scanning the cavern. "Listen, I don't want to be the lone voice in the wilderness here, but I'm not sure any show of strength is going to get us through that lot intact.

"I'd prefer to be gone before they return, and I hope there's another exit from here that let's us do that."

Tigerpaw Perception +3
[roll0] - oof, that was hideous to the nth degree....

Valmark
2023-04-24, 01:14 AM
"Agreed. We should pocket what we can and get out" Yilverth poked the corpse with the spear worried the dragon might not be dead "They willingly submitted to a dragon but... We ain't one. At least now that he's gone Otori's people can try discussing peace with them" the elf frowned.

"I guess having deceived doesn't make us the best negotiatiors"

I'll try Seeking for an exit too.
[roll0]

Xihirli
2023-04-24, 06:15 AM
Yilverth feels a slight breeze coming from a tunnel behind a collection of mushrooms. He doesn't anticipate it leading QUICKLY to the surface but it is another way out, likely the one the kobolds were mainly using before they began raiding the town.

Macku and the boss are not currently here.
How much time are you all willing to devote to looting?

Bobthewizard
2023-04-24, 10:05 AM
Orc Champion 1

While the others look for another way out and search for anything valuable in here, Gorak waits by the entrance we used in case the kobolds follow.

"Let's take what we can quickly and then use the other tunnel to escape. Once we get somewhere safe, we can finish healing everyone."

While he waits, he prays to his gods.

Starts to recover his focus point.

Macku, translator kobold

davyjones
2023-04-24, 12:38 PM
"The little boaster here came from the shadows behind the mushrooms; I expect he kept what baubles he didn't devour back there," Tigerpaw notes. "It doesn't hurt that Yil's newfound tunnel is in that general direction. We shouldn't tarry long."

The big cat heads that way, looking to see where the dragon may have kept its hoard-let as he moves toward the exit.

Xihirli
2023-04-24, 12:46 PM
Checking where the dragon pranced in from, Tigerpaw finds a ledge. Climbing up, he locates a large pile of coins.
I doubt you'll count them RIGHT NOW but when you do

429 cp, 63 sp, and 18 gp
On top of the pile is one large emerald.

ahyangyi
2023-04-24, 02:32 PM
Human(Sylph) Sorcerer 1
Holding a shield

"Alright, let's move out of here quickly after taking stuff away". Leaving treasure to the probably now hostile kobolds is probably bad thing anyways.

Adriel joins the looting, taking what he can carry.

Valmark
2023-04-24, 07:33 PM
"Yes, let's avoid a thorough search- last thing I want to do is lose my head because of gold" Yilverth agreed, and helped pick up the more immediate heap of gold and the emerald Tigerpaw found, then hurried out.

I'd say we spend like... Half a minute searching and get the hell out of there. Literally grab something immediately close and leave.

davyjones
2023-04-24, 10:53 PM
Taking the emerald, the gold and the silver, Tigerpaw drops back down and starts for their escape route, letting his compatriots know what he discovered. He doesn't bother counting.

Bobthewizard
2023-04-25, 06:10 AM
Orc Champion 1

Gorak doesn't climb up the ledge. Once the others are ready, he offers to carry anything if anyone looks burdened. Otherwise, he attempts to escape with the others.

"It doesn't feel right scuttling out like rats, but it's important we get back and warn the town."

As they travel, he prays, and every time he recovers some focus, he heals someone who needs it.

Lay on hands every 10 minutes.

Macku, translator kobold

davyjones
2023-04-25, 06:18 PM
"Prudence is a pillar of wisdom, my friend, and it is never cowardly," Tigerpaw counsels.

Tigerpaw is down about half his HP.

Xihirli
2023-04-25, 10:16 PM
Laden with coin, the heroes head down the tunnel. They hear, but do not see, the draconic lamenting of kobolds after a few minutes of walking.
After following this path for over an hour, they emerge from a small cave in a ravine outside the town of Otari, with the remnants of a large camp strewn about.
They are left unaccosted.

Valmark
2023-04-26, 01:59 AM
"Right" Yilverth figured the camp was likely long abandoned "We should... I think it would be best to get back to Otori, warn them of the kobolds. Then we can figure out how to coexist now that their evil leadership is gone. Or maybe they'll leave. Or... You know..." he twirled his spear sadly, pulling his hood back on to hide his face now that they were outside again.

Bobthewizard
2023-04-26, 07:29 AM
Orc Champion 1

Gorak carries as much of the coin as the others want him to. He pushes himself through to get out of the caves. When they emerge into the ravine, looks around at the abandoned camp, looking for clues as to its owners and the reason for its abandonment. He then agrees with Yilverth.

"Let's rest here until everyone has caught their breath. The gods will help us. Then let's get back to town and come up with a plan to deal with the kobolds."

He prays, and every time he recovers some focus, he heals someone who needs it.

Search, Perception [roll0]

Lay on hands every 10 minutes, then we can keep going.

Macku, translator kobold

Valmark
2023-04-26, 08:11 AM
"Should we first get to town, then rest? It only took a few minutes for the kobolds to find out what happened, and there aren't other exits as far as we know so they could be chasing us" Yilverth inquired, not particularly keen on sticking around.

davyjones
2023-04-26, 09:52 PM
"I still have strength enough to return to town," Tigerpaw offers. He glances back in the direction of the cave. "My first thought that this was the kobolds' first camp, before they found the passage within.

"I have to agree with the others. We should get to town first; we can rest once the authorities know what is taking place below their streets and buildings."

ahyangyi
2023-04-27, 01:37 PM
Human(Sylph) Sorcerer 1
Holding a shield

"That the other side of the tunnel was left open also worries me. The townsfolks need our warnings."

Bobthewizard
2023-04-27, 01:42 PM
Orc Champion 1

Gorak nods in agreement with the others.

"That's fine. Let's keep moving."

First, though, he looks around for some way to block the tunnel we just came through.

Macku, translator kobold

Xihirli
2023-04-29, 08:30 AM
Sadly, there isn't much around that would block off the tunnel. Hypothetically one could bury it, but the time that would take is easily long enough for the kobolds to muster their forces and disrupt this attempt.

The camp has some scales all about, more or less confirming your suspicions that it was where the kobolds lived before they moved under Otari.

Returning to town, you are able to speak with Tamily at your leisure, returning with word of the dragon's demise, and an explanation of the menace under Otari.

She is intensely grateful, and happily offers to each of you the agreed upon 15 gold coins.
"I expect that the kobolds will get moving without their dragon," she says. "But if not I'll see if I can get someone down there to talk to them – do you all speak Draconic? No? Okay then." She writes out a note for later.
"We'll be able to reopen as soon as the latest catch is brought in," she says. "I'll throw a big party for you all then, and tell everyone all about how you helped me. Oh, you lot will have a lot of people wanting help from you, that I promise!"

Life in Otari becomes noticeably happier as the fish start streaming in, and before long, Tamily does host that party. You all receive invitations with the instructions "wear something nice, I want to show you off."

With the riches from your pay and what you've gathered below, you are all free to purchase whatever you wish. For anything too fancy, like heavy armor and magic items, you'll need to make the walk to Absalom proper, but that's not outside the realm of possibility.
In the few days before returning to Tamily's Fishery, what are your desired purchases, and how decked out do you wish to appear as you arrive?

Also please go ahead and level up, this will be our transition to Chapter... one, of Troubles in Otari.

Valmark
2023-05-03, 06:51 AM
Yilverth in the following days could be seen practicing with his weapon outside of the village- before long, his spearmanship was easily on par with the barehanded skills he had shown under Otari. He put on slightly more bulk, and employed his medical knowledge to help the people around the town.

Eventually he got around to searching someone to return/sell Gozreh's bowl to. As little as he cared about the gods, it was still the correct thing to do to return it to the temple, so he hoped to do that.
He paid visit to Gozreh's temple for that.

We said there was one in Otari right? Being a fishing town and all?

For the supposed party Yilverth took a long time deciding if he even wanted to be there, given the lenghts he went to in order to avoid meeting new people.

But ultimately he didn't want to insult anybody... And it felt like it had been AGES since the last time he got to dress up.

Yilverth will purchase Fine Clothing (https://2e.aonprd.com/Equipment.aspx?ID=15) and a Fine Mask (https://2e.aonprd.com/Equipment.aspx?ID=1397), dressing up like the noble he is with a silver mask to hide his features.

If I understood correctly he can't wear both Healer's and Thieves' tools while dressed with fine clothing so he'll have the healer's ones at the ready for that.

He also made a trip to Absalom or wherever he needed to in order to enchant his spear- he had plenty of spare money for it anyway.

As discussed in Ooc, I'd also make the trip to go get my spear pushed up to +1! Which should ideally make his total expenses equal to 43 gold.

Bobthewizard
2023-05-03, 07:46 AM
Orc Champion 2
AC: 19 HP: 38/38
Fort: +9 Ref: +5 Will: +6 Perc: +4
Focus: 1/1, Prayer 1/1, Conditions: none

Gorak takes the sword to Absalom, finding the craftsman named Leona Henson, who he had met a couple years before during his time in Absalom. She is a no-nonsense woman, but does good work at fair prices and is honest. Gorak had never been able to afford magic runes before, but he had met her and admired her work.

Instead of returning to Otari, he finds some simple physical labor to do in exchange for a place to sleep and some food while the craftsman changes the rune to his meteor hammer. If he misses the party so be it. He enjoys spending time with the laborers and discussing workers rights.

If he makes it back in time for the party, he wears his chainmail and carries his ball and chain, showing no interest in buying fine clothes for the event.

Took intimidating glare and desperate prayer. +2 CON

Macku, translator kobold
Leona Henson, crafter in Absalom

davyjones
2023-05-03, 12:39 PM
Tigerpaw spends time doing the things he enjoys most: meditation at the nearest shrine of Desna, getting a bit away from the town and basking in the sights and sounds and scents of the natural world, and fighting in the pits for a good show and coin enough to keep up with food and housing expenses. Between bouts, he practices his improving healing arts on the bruises and cuts of the other competitors, using herbs and plants he's gathered from around the island.

At some point, he makes a trek to pick up a trio of minor healing potions and commission a pair of runed handwraps.

He also seeks out his fellow aesthetic, Yilverth, and offers to spar with him. It's good to practice against an opponent who wields a weapon. If the task is mentioned, Tigerpaw offers to join Yil when he returns the Gozreh bowl to the local shrine.

As the party nears, he makes sure his spare outfit is clean and patched. It's not fancy dress, but its colorfulness suits him and represents his faith well. He's pretty sure Tamily won't be offended.

Xihirli
2023-05-04, 09:22 PM
Yilverth and Tigerpaw are given thanks and a modest sum of five silver coins in thanks for returning the bowl.

The party is lively, with chatter, laughter and light spilling from the windows and doors. A large fish-based feast is prepared and ready to go. Tamily, the woman who invited you, is dancing to the best of her ability with a man you recognize as Oseph Menhemes, the mayor of Otari.
She's not particularly good at it, but she's wearing her fancy red-and-white striped peg leg.
"Yilverth! You're looking dashing!" Tamily says pointedly to Yilverth specifically and no one else.
"I'm sure you're all familiar with Mayor Menhemes. We were just making your reward official... that is, if you accept it."

It doesn't take many – any at all, really – questions to get Tamily to elaborate.
“Now, everyone knows that a good adventuring team needs a base of operations, right? Your hideout! Headquarters! A place to sleep that doesn’t charge by the night, right? And I have just the place for you—an old fish camp I used to run, right up the road from here. I haven’t been using it since I opened this place up, and I owe you all something big. If you want it, it’s all yours! Just be careful when you check it out, since it’s been empty for a while, okay?"
She smiles up at you happily. "What do you say? Want it? Or perhaps I could just get you some snacks to show my gratitude? Gratitude snacks... Snacitude? Doesn't work."

Valmark
2023-05-05, 01:57 PM
Next time, Yilverth was not going to return a religious icon. But at least for now he knew he had been truthful to Gorak.

Yilverth was clearly in his element at the party more then in battle, in caves or in taverns- he takes advantage of everything the party has to offer, especially the dancing. To Tamily he replies "I'm not quite as beautiful as the hostess of this party, but I tried"

When talks turn to business, Yilverth smiles shyly.
"I... Wouldn't call us a team..." he starts "Still... It would be nice to have a safe place without having to worry about rent or other patrons, if the others are fine with the camp. We may need some help turning it into a home for four people I guess"

Bobthewizard
2023-05-05, 02:12 PM
Orc Champion 2
AC: 19 HP: 38/38
Fort: +9 Ref: +5 Will: +6 Perc: +4
Focus: 1/1, Prayer 1/1, Conditions: none

Gorak walks into the party, clearly not dressed correctly, but he is charming enough to make sure it doesn't make anyone uncomfortable. While he is not in his element like Yilverth, he enjoys talking to the locals, telling them our stories, and hearing their gossip and plans.

At Tamily's offer, he thinks a place to stay would be helpful, and it could maybe turn into a small business or extension of Tamily's business.

"I think we'd love to see this building. We could all use a place to sleep, and free is even better than cheap. Although, we would of course accept some of your cooking too," he continues his flirting with the halfling.

Macku, translator kobold
Leona Henson, crafter in Absalom

ahyangyi
2023-05-07, 02:59 PM
Human(Sylph) Sorcerer 2
AC: 17 HP: 22/22
Perc: +5 Fort: +6 Ref: +7 Will: +7
Focus: 1/1, Spells: 4/4, Conditions: none
Holding nothing, but one of his sleeves is glowing (see below)

Adriel plays around in the party; his newly discovered spell of making anything glowing becomes a fun party trick; and he is generally good at parties and tricks anyways.

As Tamily talks about the fish camp, Adriel asks, "What's the last time you visited the camp? ... and, anything for us to keep in mind?"

davyjones
2023-05-08, 01:09 AM
Like the smallest of his four-legged cousins, Tigerpaw's people are social creatures, and the big cat enjoys the conversation and the food, and is particularly happy to meet the mayor.

"A camp? For us? That's incredibly generous, Tamily," he says. The big cat agrees that it would be good to see the place. He never expected to be in any one town long enough to consider establishing a base of operations. The idea interests him. It doesn't hurt that the fish is plentiful in Otani. "I'm keen to see it."

Xihirli
2023-05-09, 05:17 PM
"Oh, I check on it every now and then. To see if the monsters have moved out." Tamily laughs. "As for wanting to see it... Absolutely!" Tamily briefly gives you all directions.
"Stop by at your next convenience. But for now..." She lifts a hand up to Adriel. "Want to dance?"

I will be getting Chapter ONE up in its own thread. Feel free to continue roleplaying the party here if you would like to.

Valmark
2023-05-11, 12:38 PM
"Bet we should keep in mind the monsters" Yilverth chuckled, though he had suddenly gotten really nervous.

"Don't suppose anybody knows what kind?"

davyjones
2023-05-11, 05:45 PM
"Don't suppose anybody knows what kind?"

The big cat's ears twitch mirthfully. "I suspect the imaginary kind."

ahyangyi
2023-05-12, 03:23 PM
Human(Sylph) Sorcerer 2
AC: 17 HP: 22/22
Perc: +5 Fort: +6 Ref: +7 Will: +7
Focus: 1/1, Spells: 4/4, Conditions: none
Holding nothing, but one of his sleeves is glowing (see below)

Adriel dances with Tamily. He worries a bit about her agility with the peg leg, but thankfully he's good at deceiving...

"I remember last time Tamily pretty accurately forewarned our underground trouble -- if she saw monsters, there are probably some!"