PDA

View Full Version : Recommend A System!

JNAProductions
2023-02-09, 05:53 PM
So, I want to run a game (https://forums.giantitp.com/showthread.php?654029-The-Wayward-Home-For-Lost-Children-System-Pending&p=25704138#post25704138). I'm not really sure what systems would work well for it.
I typically run most things in D&D 5E, but I'm trying to branch out, given some of WotC's debacles. And also it's good to be seasoned and taste variety.

Anyone got good ideas for a system to run the linked game with? :)

LibraryOgre
2023-02-09, 06:09 PM
RISUS seems like it would work pretty well. Have characters broadly define their characters by a few traits, and run from there.

JNAProductions
2023-02-10, 11:43 PM
RISUS seems like it would work pretty well. Have characters broadly define their characters by a few traits, and run from there.

Ooh... That looks simple and fun!

Thanks Ogre. :)

Tanarii
2023-02-11, 08:08 AM
Free league. Check out Tales from the Loop. They have a bunch of stuff based on their Mutant Year Zero one, and that one is specifically for kids exploring weirdness in their home town area.

Grod_The_Giant
2023-02-12, 12:48 PM
STaRS (https://www.drivethrurpg.com/product/268061/STaRS-The-Simple-Tabletop-Roleplaying-System)? It's more complicated than Risus, but still pretty simple, and the added structure might be helpful for a group coming from 5e. It also does non-combat encounters really well, and the optional Scale rules work well for representing different tiers of power (ie, child vs adult).

Zuras
2023-02-17, 10:22 AM
Would Beyond the Wall be a good fit? It seems like this sort of adventure is squarely what it’s aimed at, assuming an OSR-ish feel is acceptable for you and your group.

I haven’t played it myself yet, but it is high on my list of OSR/OSR adjacent products with targeted vibes (along with Shadow of the Demon Lord) after compiling a list of alternative systems.

(Edited to add)
I didn’t see any playbooks for urban characters or alternate rules for shifting the game from a village to a city setting, so the main attraction of the game versus other rules light OSR implementations won’t work. Through Sunken Lands (a follow on book) does go into detail about cities, but with focus on heroes that aren’t just starting out, so nothing that fits the Lankhmar meets Dickensian street urchins vibe you’re going for.

kyoryu
2023-02-17, 12:18 PM
Risus would work. I think Fate would work well as well. Maaaaaybe GURPS.

A lot would depend on what kind of activities the characters will do, and what you think the "important bits" are.

Drascin
2023-02-19, 08:18 AM
The question is, exactly what would characters be doing in this game? How are they expected to be helping these City states? In fact, are they expected to be legitimately helping, or just be kids fancying that they're helping while not achieving a lot?

Depending on the mood and intended play loop of the game, the system to recommend would be rather different!