PDA

View Full Version : Non-D20 RPG game with a Ancient Greek Veneer

Easy e
2023-02-13, 05:33 PM
Greetings all,

I have been having a good time running a Legend of the Five Rings game for the past few weeks, and I have been enjoying it. However, I am not super familiar with the cultural aspects of the world I am trying to run. This has made it fun, but also a bit challenging.

This got me thinking about other games I would like to play, and that made me think of the Iliad/Odyssey/Homeric mythic Greek themed games. I am much more familiar with the culture and tropes associated with a game like this, and this got me curious.

Is there a non-d20 based Homeric/Ancient/Mythological Greece based RPG?

Sparky McDibben
2023-02-13, 05:38 PM
Check out Agon; I can't remember if it uses a d20, though.

Tanarii
2023-02-13, 06:11 PM
Runequest has a lot of that feel. Especially if you consider it to be surrounding regions too, so a blend of Ancient Greece ("civilization"), Persia (civilized enemies of "civilization") , northern 'Barbarians' (thracians, Scythians), mysterious decadent magical ancient Egyptians mysteries.

Pauly
2023-02-13, 10:29 PM
Not for the game but for the background to run a campaign.
GURPS had an ancient Greece supplement and there was an old TSR D&D ancient Greece supplement. Not sure if they’re any better value than a few google searches nowadays though.

I found this on drivethru rpg
https://www.drivethrurpg.com/product/110404/Warlords-of-Alexander

A free supplement for Chaosium’s BRP system (Call of Cthulhu rules). I’ve had a quick skim and it seems like it may fit. The setting is a bit later than Homeric Greece but I think it may have enough.

Khedrac
2023-02-14, 03:07 AM
Runequest has a lot of that feel. Especially if you consider it to be surrounding regions too, so a blend of Ancient Greece ("civilization"), Persia (civilized enemies of "civilization") , northern 'Barbarians' (thracians, Scythians), mysterious decadent magical ancient Egyptians mysteries.

For this you don't want the latest version (RuneQuest: Glorantha) - you would be better off looking for 2nd-hand copies of 3rd Ed (Avalon Hill) where the default setting was Mythic Earth. Although I don't think a culture setting book/.box was published for Ancient Greece, the default is probably closest to it, especially if you add the Monster Coliseum set (OK that's more fantasy Rome).

Tanarii
2023-02-14, 10:24 AM
For this you don't want the latest version (RuneQuest: Glorantha) - you would be better off looking for 2nd-hand copies of 3rd Ed (Avalon Hill) where the default setting was Mythic Earth. Although I don't think a culture setting book/.box was published for Ancient Greece, the default is probably closest to it, especially if you add the Monster Coliseum set (OK that's more fantasy Rome).
Good call out. I played the Avon Hill delux edition almost exclusively. Fun game, although it took a bit of time to understand how magic was supposed to work. Or mostly not work in this case. :smallamused: