PDA

View Full Version : Life sphere (Adapting 5e spheres)

SangoProduction
2023-02-14, 01:34 PM
Oops: I hit submit instead of preview. I am not finished.
Honestly.... at this point... I'm feeling like I'm doing nothing but nerfing it. Perhaps rightfully so. Perhaps not. But I don't like this adaptation. I am not sure I'm going to finish.

Preamble: I've worked 52 hours in the last 3 days. And another 6 on my day off. Incredible time. But also very little to do anything like this. So I wanted to do something quick and easy with my few remaining daylight hours before I head back in.

What's being adapted and why: Life sphere.... is not being adapted at all. It added just about nothing, and broke a lot.
Yup. That's it. Just a cheeky bit of criticism before I head back. Also it fills out my list.
Just use the Pathfinder Life sphere, as easy as it may be to overinvest in it...
Know what? I could basically try and update the Pathfinder version, in the way it probably should have.

Post Notes:

------

The Life sphere as presented:

Cure
Casting Time: 1 standard action
Range: touch
Duration: Instantaneous
Target: 1 creature
Saving throw: Will
Cost: 1 sp

The target regains a number of hit points equal to 1d8 + your caster level. To living creatures, this is a harmless positive energy effect, but it is harmful to undead and other creatures normally damaged by positive energy (Will half).

Augment 2 sp: You may target yourself, and exclusively yourself, reducing the casting time to a move action.

Invigorate
Duration: 1 hour
Cost: 0 sp

You can invigorate a creature, granting them temporary hit points equal to your caster level (minimum 1). Unlike normal temporary hit points, this ability can only be used on an injured target and cannot raise a target’s current hit points plus their temporary hit points to be higher than their total hit points.

Restore
Duration: Instantaneous
Cost: 1 sp

You can end either one disease or one condition afflicting the target. The condition can be either: dazzled, shaken, staggered, battered, fatigued, or sickened.
If removing shaken, fatigued, or sickened from a creature with an advanced associated condition, instead reduce the condition's level by 1 step. (panicked -> frightened -> shaken) (exhausted -> fatigued) (nauseated -> sickened)
For particularly special effects, such as curses or creatures of legend, the DM may require a magic skill check to instead suppress the disease or condition for 5 rounds.

Augment 1 sp: Also heal 1d4+1 points of ability damage to one ability score of your choice.
While, on paper, it's worse than the normal Restore, there is rarely a time in which you would actually nail more than one condition from a single grouping of Restore, so it's a fairly meaningless complication to have.

Vitality
Duration: 1 minute
Cost: 0 sp

(Vitality) talents are benefits a caster may grant to any ally at the same time they use any other Life sphere ability on them. (Vitality) talents always have a duration of up to 1 minute starting at the time the effect was used, or until the target takes damage from either failing a saving throw or being hit with an attack roll.

If a caster possesses multiple (vitality) talents, they may only grant one to the target of their Life sphere effect, but may choose to grant different benefits to each target of a particular Life sphere ability.

A creature can benefit from a (vitality) talent attached to a Life ability, even if they do not actually gain anything from the Life ability (such as using cure on a creature at full hit points).

----

Break Enchantment
Augment 1 sp : As a special application of restore, you may attempt to remove all magic from the target that has a duration instead of removing a condition. This may be used against curses including cursed equipment, although it does not remove the curse from the equipment and instead suppresses the effect long enough for the item to be removed.
Instead of a saving throw, you must succeed at a magic skill check against each magical effect in order to remove it. You may choose not to remove certain effects if you so desire (for example, you may target only harmful effects and not beneficial ones). This counts as using the break enchantment or remove curse spell against those spells and effects that specify they can only be removed through those spells. This has no effect on other instantaneous effects.

Greater Restore
Augment 1 sp: You may cure two additional diseases or conditions afflicting the target. If you possess a talent that grants special applications of restore, you may also select from the granted special applications too.

Restore Capacity
Add Stunned to the list of removeable conditions.
As a special application of restore, you may restore a creature’s movement and physical capacity instead of a condition. This allows a target to make an immediate Escape Artist check with a circumstance bonus equal to your caster level against any applicable condition (for example, if it is entangled or grappled).
This also removes the lessening of a target’s movement speed or removal of a movement type, or any other similar detriment such as the loss of the power of speech. If the target is under a spell or effect that causes paralysis, you may attempt a magic skill check against the spell or effect, removing the condition if you succeed.

Restore Health
Rather than lessening the exhausted, and nauseated conditions, you can cure them outright. You also remove a poison when you remove a disease.

Restore Senses
Add confused and dazed to the list of conditions you can remove. Rather than lessening the effects of frightened and panicked, the conditions are cured outright.
As a special application of restore, you may also restore any temporary or magical removal of the target's senses, such as blindness, deafness, dazzled, or loss of tremorsense, blindsense, etc.

Restore Spirit
Gain the following augments for your Restore.

Augment 1 sp: Cure the target of 1 temporary negative level, + 1 per 5 caster levels. Permanent negative levels are instead suppressed for 1 minute per caster level.
Augment 1 sp: Cure 1d4 ability damage + 1d4 per 4 caster levels from each ability score.
Augment 1 sp: Cure 1d4+1 ability drain from one ability score of your choice.

Restorative Cure
Your Cure ability gains the following augment
Augment 1 sp: Your target(s) benefit from the effects of Restore.

The extra +CL to healing made it way too easy to overinvest in healing without even particularly meaning to. And it basically put a hard cap on the number of Restore talents you could take without the DM or even players getting frustrated that you are negating all sense of danger

Vitality talent augments are special in that a single target can benefit from only one such augment, though each target may benefit from a different augment, if so desired.

Aggressive Vitality (vitality)
Augment 0: This grants the target a +2 circumstance bonus on attack and damage rolls with weapon attacks.

Energizing Vitality (vitality)
Augment 0: This grants the target a +30 feet circumstance bonus to all forms of movement.
Augment 0: This causes the target to float up to 6 inches above the ground, allowing the target to ignore difficult terrain and ground-based hazards (such as caltrops).

Securing Vitality (vitality)
Augment 0: This grants the target a +2 circumstance bonus to CMB and CMD.
Augment 0: This grants the target a +4 morale bonus to concentration checks.

Sustaining Vitality (vitality)
Augment 0: Your ally receives a +2 circumstance bonus to AC and saving throws.

Affliction (cure, restore)
Your cure ability gains the following augment
Augment 0: Invert the effect from positive energy to negative energy. This has no effect on undead and damages the living (Will half). This requires a melee or ranged touch attack against the target, and if used at range is considered a ray. This cannot be combined with Fount Of Life.
Your restore ability gains the following special applications, each requiring a melee or ranged touch attack.
*The creature is exhausted for 2d6 rounds on a failed fortitude save (or fatigued for 2d6 rounds on a successful save). These conditions expire as soon as the duration expires.
*If you possess Restore Capacity: You cause the target’s limbs to not function correctly, making them entangled and reducing all movement speeds by half for 1d6 rounds (Reflex negates).
*If you possess Restore Health, You make the target nauseated for 1d6 rounds on a failed fortitude save (or sickened for 1d6 rounds on a successful save).
*If you possess Restore Senses, you may make the target confused for 1d6 rounds (Will negates).
*If you possess Restore Spirit, you may make the target incapable of receiving any magical healing, fast healing, or regeneration for 2d6 rounds (Will negates).

Deeper Healing (cure, invigorate)
Your invigorate grants 2 temporary hit points per caster level instead of 1. Your cure heals an additional 1d8 hit points, +1d8 per 5 caster levels.

Empathic Healing
Your cure ability gains the following augment:
Augment -1 sp: Any damage restored from the target(s) is transferred you. This damage cannot be reduced or redirected further.
Your restore ability gains the following augment
Augment -1 sp: You may transfer conditions, poisons, diseases, and so on, removed from the targets as though you were the original target, though you do not get a save. You also may not transfer conditions that would kill, or render you unconscious, nor those that are the result of ongoing effects (such as totem of doom, which imparts the shaken condition). If you already have that condition, any duration it may have adds to the duration of the condition you have, but otherwise, you are unchanged.