PDA

View Full Version : Today is a great day... FOR SCIENCE!

Askaris
2007-12-03, 04:44 PM
</Blatant rip-off from Girl Genius.>

Recently, one of my A-level chemistry teachers got it into his head that posters are a really good way to revise, and are not a waste of time in any way. While I don't subscribe to the theory, I got given an excuse to doodle a new wallpaper. So I did. :smallamused:

Also, It's quite a big picture, so you may have to scroll to the right to see it all.

Characters from left to right: Onasuma, random Half Life 2 beta assassin, and myself. (In other words, ABR characters who I had templates for.)

http://img220.imageshack.us/img220/867/newwallpaperox8.jpg

"Buy this poster now, and get a head start in A-level Chemistry, FREE!"

Illiterate Scribe
2007-12-03, 05:16 PM
Damn, that's fine.

Still, I'll only be satisfied if you can make one summarising the cosmological argument as proposed by Aquinas, and its criticisms by Hume, for my RS A-level. :smallwink:

Squark
2007-12-04, 07:20 AM
I'll be honest. I have no idea what that said... maybe next year, when I take chemistry I'll have a clue what that said.. or the year after, when I take AP Chemestry.

Askaris
2007-12-04, 10:05 AM
I'll be honest. I have no idea what that said... maybe next year, when I take chemistry I'll have a clue what that said.. or the year after, when I take AP Chemestry.

Trust me, you aren't alone there. The first thing you learn when you get to A-level chemistry runs along the lines of "Everything you know is Wrong". :smalltongue:

banjo1985
2007-12-04, 10:19 AM
Hehe, is that meant to look like Onasuma on the left hand side? Kind of reminds me of him...

Bayar
2007-12-04, 10:44 AM
well..it all makes sense to me :smallbiggrin: .
1s2, 2s2 2p6, 3s2 3p6, 4s2 3d10 4p6 ETC...

NikkTheTrick
2007-12-04, 11:36 AM
Misleading about the MS:

In case of mass spectroscopy, deflection is only the case in magnetic sector instrument. Magnetic sectors are not commonly used.

ToF (most popular nowadays) detects time of flight (and converts to m/z)
Quadrupole (cheaper, but less popular) operates based on mass instability scan (as do Ion Traps)
And so on.

Ionization energy is usually looked on scale of single atoms since it allows us to see what amount of energy is required to have any ionization in the first place...

So, if you are going to be a nerd, go all the way:smallwink:

onasuma
2007-12-04, 01:05 PM
Hehe, is that meant to look like Onasuma on the left hand side? Kind of reminds me of him...

That it be. It says so above it. (For those who think its a little odd, this is because we know each other in real life, thus making him draw a template of me first for ABR, which he then used for the poster)

Askaris
2007-12-04, 01:25 PM
Misleading about the MS:

In case of mass spectroscopy, deflection is only the case in magnetic sector instrument. Magnetic sectors are not commonly used.

ToF (most popular nowadays) detects time of flight (and converts to m/z)
Quadrupole (cheaper, but less popular) operates based on mass instability scan (as do Ion Traps)
And so on.

Ionization energy is usually looked on scale of single atoms since it allows us to see what amount of energy is required to have any ionization in the first place...

So, if you are going to be a nerd, go all the way:smallwink:

Ah, thanks for that. I see that the "convenient lying" method of teaching still is common at A level...:smallmad:

Lyinginbedmon
2007-12-04, 01:40 PM
I went to Hummersknott Secondary School, also known as the "Fourth Layer of Hell" (H4 for short). If you learnt anything there you were lucky if it was even self-consistent, let alone correct.

Thank Jimmy Wales and Larry Sanger we have Wikipedia for 99.9% accurate information at the touch of a key :smallsmile:

onasuma
2007-12-04, 02:14 PM
@ /\: actually 3 errors per page on average.

banjo1985
2007-12-04, 05:21 PM
That it be. It says so above it. (For those who think its a little odd, this is because we know each other in real life, thus making him draw a template of me first for ABR, which he then used for the poster)

Oops, it appears I failed a Spot Check :smalleek:

Illiterate Scribe
2007-12-04, 07:42 PM
@ /\: actually 3 errors per page on average.

Britannica's got more. Something like 3.4, I believe.

NikkTheTrick
2007-12-04, 08:31 PM
Ah, thanks for that. I see that the "convenient lying" method of teaching still is common at A level...:smallmad:
It is common at all levels:

In 100-200 chemistry (general and organic) they will tell you all that is lie.

In 300-400 chemistry (physical, instrumental, inorganic) they will tell you why what they taught you in 100-200 is a lie.

In Graduate classes they will tell you why what they taught you in 300-400 is lies.

When you do your own research, you'll realize that what you had in Graduate classes is a lie.

So, here we go:smallwink:

Mr_Saturn
2007-12-05, 12:26 AM

Yeah, i never saw a character i've drawn redrawn by other people yet so much as yours.

Good Business. :smalltongue:

Nameless
2007-12-05, 05:37 AM
This is really awesome,

I like your Oots style.

Mysticaloctopus
2007-12-05, 12:28 PM
It is common at all levels:

In 100-200 chemistry (general and organic) they will tell you all that is lie.

In 300-400 chemistry (physical, instrumental, inorganic) they will tell you why what they taught you in 100-200 is a lie.

In Graduate classes they will tell you why what they taught you in 300-400 is lies.

When you do your own research, you'll realize that what you had in Graduate classes is a lie.

So, here we go:smallwink:

It's like one of those carpet cleaner informercials.

You think physics 200 is great?

BUT WAIT, THERES MORE!!

Askaris
2007-12-05, 02:58 PM
Yeah, i never saw a character i've drawn redrawn by other people yet so much as yours.

Good Business. :smalltongue:

*Adds Mr. Saturn to "People I really should cameo sometime" list.*

Mr_Saturn
2007-12-05, 03:15 PM
Haha, you should tell me when you do. Because i'm so behind to look at the ABR thread anymore. Supposing you post it there.

I suppose i could cameo onasuma in my comic too. So much to do...

onasuma
2007-12-05, 03:26 PM
@saturn: wait til you see the psi-fi paladin, based off lord knight for mine and ask's webcomic. (which we havent quite started yet).
Also Im sure we could have fit you in the bar getting drunk somewhere in exchange for an apperance in yours. Or not. It's all good.

Mr_Saturn
2007-12-05, 03:29 PM
Another version? And another webcomic? Sweeet. I honored that you'll make the character i drew for you your main character.

Looking forward for another comic. We deserve our own forum section. :smallwink:

onasuma
2007-12-05, 03:35 PM
Well, one of the 5. :smallbiggrin:
Also, hes so damn awesome, how could i not? And yeah, we probably do need a froum or better yet host it on smackjeeves! Where my own webcomic is (http://www.cktm.thewebcomic.com) (Note: Do not click if you dont play warhammer 40k and are expecting good art. Also, old art is terrible, i really should redo it)

NikkTheTrick
2007-12-05, 03:37 PM
It's like one of those carpet cleaner informercials.

You think physics 200 is great?

BUT WAIT, THERES MORE!!

Actually, physics is even more extreme. First, they teach you classical physics, but then they get to quantum where everything you know about this world is shattered to pieces.

Bayar
2007-12-05, 03:41 PM
Actually, physics is even more extreme. First, they teach you classical physics, but then they get to quantum where everything you know about this world is shattered to pieces.

yeah, tell me about it...:smallannoyed:

Arioch
2007-12-05, 04:13 PM
[QUOTE=Askaris;3608366]Recently, one of my A-level chemistry teachers got it into his head that posters are a really good way to revise, and are not a waste of time in any way.QUOTE]

My Biology and Chemistry teachers are the same. We had to do a poster on the Menstrual Cycle, which is EXACTLY what we want to show potential new kids when they look round on open evening.
Now I have to do one on catalysts and sulphuric acid (a split poster).

I call it "I wanted to be an art teacher, but can't draw" syndrome.

Askaris
2007-12-06, 10:33 AM
Well, one of the 5. :smallbiggrin:
Also, hes so damn awesome, how could i not? And yeah, we probably do need a froum or better yet host it on smackjeeves! Where my own webcomic is (http://www.cktm.thewebcomic.com) (Note: Do not click if you dont play warhammer 40k and are expecting good art. Also, old art is terrible, i really should redo it)

Hmm... hate to break it to you, but it appears that CKTM is down. This ain't good.

In other news, as soon as I can get them all drawn, I'll probably post the characters in the webcomic. (And yes, you will have a cameo in the first one Mr. Saturn.) :smallbiggrin:

onasuma
2007-12-06, 11:39 AM
Not just cktm. Smackjeeves is gone.