PDA

View Full Version : Player Help Pretending to be a champion of justice.

Reprimand
2023-02-15, 12:03 AM
Hello returning after a bit of a break from the game and wanted to ask for some ideas for a character concept.

First and foremost sources that are NOT allowed -
Psionics books
Book of Nine Swords
Tome of Magic
"weather books" Sandstorm Frostburn etc
Dungeonscape
Unearthed Arcana (Flaws and Traits ARE allowed tho)
any dungeon or dragon mag content

Sources that are allowed -
Complete x books (obviously excluding complete psionics)
MIC
Spell Compendium
Races of X books (Wild, Stone Destiny)
Dragonomicon
Dragon magic
PHB
PHB2
DMG1+2
Probably a few more I can't think of off the top of my head but that should be about it.

The flavor / concept I'm trying to achieve is a character that could come across as a member of high honor or morals while being a cheap and dirty fighter. Whether this be through sneak attack or abilities like that of the combat trapsmith I'm undecided. I'd like to work in some kind of twohanded sword such as the elven curve blade (Whatever the two handed one is) / greatsword or bastard sword I'm not against the ideas of some utility spells but I'd like to avoid that being the primary means of dealing damage and having enough skill points to be passable at social checks and possibly a bit of stealth.

I would definitely like to work in some kind of ability to restrict movement via melee abilities.
Describing the concept to a friend I think he put it best "He kisses the rosery and kicks dirt in your eyes."

Very much embracing the idea that "All martial art is based in deception." and "Unfairness and deceit are superior, the difference between life and death."

Kol Korran
2023-02-15, 12:47 AM
Some thoughts (Not whole ideas, just some points):
1. Do you have access to PF1? Most of it's content is 3.5 compatible. If you do (or if you want yo try and persuade the DM?) I suggest trying to add and implement 2 of the games features:
# A combat maneuver called Dirty Trick: https://www.d20pfsrd.com/gamemastering/combat#TOC-Dirty-Trick (Exactly what you think). It also has a set of feats, that improve it, similar to the feats for other maneuvers (Improved Dirty Trick, Greater Dirty Trick and similar. Agile Maneuvers enable it to be used with dexterity, if you are going with Dex-fighting).

2. The Unchained Rogue: https://www.d20pfsrd.com/classes/unchained-classes/rogue-unchained/
It is a better version of the rogue class (which is fairly weak), and especially makes the sneak attack be more intersting, adding various debilitating/ debuffing effects to it.

If you don't like the actual class, there are various feats in the system that alter sneak attack, usually by replacing some sneak attack damage dice for similar debuffs.

3. And back to D&D, especially if you wish to use a two handed weapon, I'm actually thinking... Dusk Blade (from PHB2). A melee type with added magic, which can be seen as "trickery"/unfair advantage. It's main shortfall is skill points. If you really like the warrior-made gish idea, I again suggest looking at the Magus class form PF1, which is a far better implemented version of the Duskblade.

Another class that may help (Perhaps by Multiclassing?) Is the Beguiler (also PHB2), who's entire shtick is trickery and deception. (And a VERY fun class to play).

Good luck!

Reprimand
2023-02-15, 01:52 AM
Some thoughts (Not whole ideas, just some points):
1. Do you have access to PF1? Most of it's content is 3.5 compatible. If you do (or if you want yo try and persuade the DM?) I suggest trying to add and implement 2 of the games features:
# A combat maneuver called Dirty Trick: https://www.d20pfsrd.com/gamemastering/combat#TOC-Dirty-Trick (Exactly what you think). It also has a set of feats, that improve it, similar to the feats for other maneuvers (Improved Dirty Trick, Greater Dirty Trick and similar. Agile Maneuvers enable it to be used with dexterity, if you are going with Dex-fighting).

2. The Unchained Rogue: https://www.d20pfsrd.com/classes/unchained-classes/rogue-unchained/
It is a better version of the rogue class (which is fairly weak), and especially makes the sneak attack be more intersting, adding various debilitating/ debuffing effects to it.

If you don't like the actual class, there are various feats in the system that alter sneak attack, usually by replacing some sneak attack damage dice for similar debuffs.

3. And back to D&D, especially if you wish to use a two handed weapon, I'm actually thinking... Dusk Blade (from PHB2). A melee type with added magic, which can be seen as "trickery"/unfair advantage. It's main shortfall is skill points. If you really like the warrior-made gish idea, I again suggest looking at the Magus class form PF1, which is a far better implemented version of the Duskblade.

Another class that may help (Perhaps by Multiclassing?) Is the Beguiler (also PHB2), who's entire shtick is trickery and deception. (And a VERY fun class to play).

Good luck!

I do not have access to any PF material no.

I was considering a Rogue 3 or 4 / wizard 1 / Unseen Seer X
Or maybe a swift hunter.
Sadly I can't go Cloistered Cleric / Rogue as effectively because Sacred Outlaw is mag material.

Crake
2023-02-15, 02:33 AM
Sounds like it would just be a feint build, could go with either sneak attack or iaijutsu focus, either or, iaijutsu focus probably works better on the martial prowess side of things, and less things are immune to it, so its more widely appliccable

Reprimand
2023-02-15, 03:40 PM
Sounds like it would just be a feint build, could go with either sneak attack or iaijutsu focus, either or, iaijutsu focus probably works better on the martial prowess side of things, and less things are immune to it, so its more widely appliccable

Yeah I mean feinting just feels like a wasted action though I still have a party to flank with and instapop enemies I also considered unseen seer because stuff like sneak attack shocking grasp is hilarious.

Crake
2023-02-15, 07:02 PM
Yeah I mean feinting just feels like a wasted action though I still have a party to flank with and instapop enemies I also considered unseen seer because stuff like sneak attack shocking grasp is hilarious.

Improved feint makes feinting a move action, and there's prc that can bring that down to a swift action, or a weapon with an insightful feint wand chamber. Combine with quickdraw, iaijutsu focus, and iaijutsu master, and you can get a character that can pretty readily get +9d6+(9xchamod) to their attack every round: Swift feint -> standard iaijutsu attack -> move action sheath

even with just an 18 in cha, you're looking at an average of 67.5 bonus damage at around level 11.

Using magic seems to go against the concept you described of someone with martial prowess being a dirty fighter, but that's just my take.

Particle_Man
2023-02-16, 01:58 AM
It is not the most powerful of classes but thematically Hexblade might fit the bill. If phb II is allowed and you do not want a beefy familiar you can get this debugging shadow deal which synergies with the hexblade curse rather nicely. They don’t have many skill points but at least face skills are among the class skills. I would recommend human.

Reprimand
2023-02-17, 01:04 AM
Improved feint makes feinting a move action, and there's prc that can bring that down to a swift action, or a weapon with an insightful feint wand chamber. Combine with quickdraw, iaijutsu focus, and iaijutsu master, and you can get a character that can pretty readily get +9d6+(9xchamod) to their attack every round: Swift feint -> standard iaijutsu attack -> move action sheath

even with just an 18 in cha, you're looking at an average of 67.5 bonus damage at around level 11.

Using magic seems to go against the concept you described of someone with martial prowess being a dirty fighter, but that's just my take.

Well first of all I just flat out don't have access to 3.0 materials so both iaijustu focus and iaijustu master are out. I'd rather be triggering multiple sneak attacks on my full attack.

@particle_man I'm personally not a fan of hexblade.

I guess I'd rather focus on precision damage through some means or another.
Maybe I'd be better off like with daring outlaw and an elven courtblade or something.
I'm not sure what PRCs progresses sneak attack though unseen seer has been a favorite for a long time but maybe I should go a more martial route for this.
I'd rather avoid something fear based like dread commando though.

Crake
2023-02-17, 09:42 AM
Well first of all I just flat out don't have access to 3.0 materials so both iaijustu focus and iaijustu master are out. I'd rather be triggering multiple sneak attacks on my full attack.

@particle_man I'm personally not a fan of hexblade.

I guess I'd rather focus on precision damage through some means or another.
Maybe I'd be better off like with daring outlaw and an elven courtblade or something.
I'm not sure what PRCs progresses sneak attack though unseen seer has been a favorite for a long time but maybe I should go a more martial route for this.
I'd rather avoid something fear based like dread commando though.

Oriental adventures recieved a 3.5 update, so technically it's 3.5 material, not 3.0, but fair enough.

In either case though, sneak attack on it's own doesn't scream "dirty fighting". It's more being able to take advantage of openings, which fits for a dirty fighter, but it seems more the fighting part than the dirty part. The invisible blade prestige class gets move action and then free action feinting when using daggers, and even gets the ability to take 10 on bluff checks to feint, as well as getting 3d6 sneak attack over 5 levels, the only caveat is that you basically get shoehorned into using daggers. Arguably, you could do it with an aptitude weapon too.

Chronos
2023-02-18, 08:54 AM
Appearing to be a champion of justice is easy: Just polish your armor and adorn it with holy symbols. Anyone can do that.

Reprimand
2023-02-18, 02:41 PM
Oriental adventures recieved a 3.5 update, so technically it's 3.5 material, not 3.0, but fair enough.

In either case though, sneak attack on it's own doesn't scream "dirty fighting". It's more being able to take advantage of openings, which fits for a dirty fighter, but it seems more the fighting part than the dirty part. The invisible blade prestige class gets move action and then free action feinting when using daggers, and even gets the ability to take 10 on bluff checks to feint, as well as getting 3d6 sneak attack over 5 levels, the only caveat is that you basically get shoehorned into using daggers. Arguably, you could do it with an aptitude weapon too.

I guess the way I interpret sneak attacks on flanks or from behind is like a kick to the balls or other brawler tricks. I mean I'm probably taking improved unarmed strike just for flavor and I mean its just useful if I ever do get disarmed.

Particle_Man
2023-02-18, 09:09 PM
It is unfortunate that Unearthed Arcana is not allowed, as there are fighter variants that give one a few of the "unsavory" class skills (and more skill points) and trade in fighter bonus feats for rogue sneak attack progression.

Crake
2023-02-18, 10:31 PM
I guess the way I interpret sneak attacks on flanks or from behind is like a kick to the balls or other brawler tricks. I mean I'm probably taking improved unarmed strike just for flavor and I mean its just useful if I ever do get disarmed.

Sneak attack is defined as "precision damage", meaning it requires precise blows to vital organs or other vulnerable weak spots. The reason you require flat footed or flanking is that you need to have a sufficient opening to strike precisely, and is the same reason why any amount of concealment makes sneak attacks impossible. It's not directly tied to being underhanded or cheap in terms of tactics, what's usually the underhanded part is creating the opening in some cheap way, like throwing sand in someone's face to blind them for a round.

spectralphoenix
2023-02-19, 02:01 AM
Looking through my books, I think there are a couple PrCs that might fit, depending on how you want your character to play the role. All of the following have full BAB, though some of them would probably require a rogue level to meet the skill requirements.

Shadowbane Inquisitor - d10 HD, 3d6 SA. Sort of a mixed Paladin/Rogue, this one is more of a champion of justice who fights dirty than a dirty fighter who pretends to be a champion of justice.

Ghostface Killer - d8 HD, 3d6 Sudden Strike. Requires Evil alignment. Has some ninja-esque abilities and fear powers.

Nightsong Enforcer - d8 HD, 4d6 SA. Sort of a thieves guild enforcer, has some teamwork abilities. Would probably have to be reflavored a bit.

Ronin - d10 HD, 4d6 SA. Doesn't have much else. Does have social penalties if people know who you are, which could be an incentive to go around pretending you're someone you aren't.

RNightstalker
2023-02-25, 05:14 PM
Battle Trickster from Complete Scoundrel might fit some of the flavor you're looking for.