PDA

View Full Version : Wells of Darkness IC

paradox26
2023-02-15, 11:34 PM
Here is the IC thread for my Wells of Darkness game. Below are the links to the recruitment and OOC threads, as per forum rules.

Recruitment: https://forums.giantitp.com/showthread.php?652372-Epic-pathfinder-1e-gestalt

OOC: https://forums.giantitp.com/showthread.php?653888-Wells-of-Darkness&p=25700314#post25700314

Next post will be the game start post. Sorry for the delay, and thank you for your patience.

Re-recruitment thread link: https://forums.giantitp.com/showthread.php?656584-Re-recruiting-for-epic-Pathfinder-game-Wells-of-Darkness

Second re-recruitment thread: https://forums.giantitp.com/showthread.php?661563-Epic-gestalt-Pathfinder-1E-game-re-recruitment

paradox26
2023-02-15, 11:57 PM
You have been summoned. You arrive in the Abyss through varying means, some of you together, others apart. You have been called to the first layer of the Abyss, often known as the Plane of Infinite Portals, but to the initiated it is known as Pazunia.

You have been called there by an agent of a being of power, though you do not know who the agent serves, nor what the being might want. You find the cave that you were directed to locate with the aid of a small stone which heats up when it it taken in the direction it is intended to travel. Now you stand outside the cave, uncertain and uneasy. You wonder if it is safe to go blindly into a place within the Abyss. You may take some confort in the fact that there are no guards outside. However, it is also possible that the lack of guards indicates just how powerful the being inside might be.

samduke
2023-02-16, 01:13 PM
Looking side to side at her companions, and the way ahead, before moving on.

Gunhaven
2023-02-16, 09:50 PM
Like a dazzling sun, Ixen'Hesjing gazes upon this new land he finds himself in. While he's the same size as a bronze wyrmling (and could be confused for one) he is most definitely not one. From the gold and silver bangles upon his wrists and ankles, to the bronze crown that flickers like flames, to the jewel encrusted cloak that is lazily draped across his left pauldron, shaped like a clenched fist and made of bronze. He mutters to himself in draconic "I'm too sober for this..."

He drops his cauldron that was on his back, gets the sack that was in it out, and pours himself a gallon of fresh sake into the now empty cauldron. He dips a couple cups into it and downs them like they're water. Finally he lets out a satisfied sigh and says in common to the others with him "Hello friends! Take a drink if you want, a gallon is a bit much for just one!" As he waits for anyone else to take a drink he checks that a vial of shimmering orange liquid is done brewing and finally gets out a paint brush to finish connecting the tattoos that pulse just underneath the hoard he wears, his scales hardening and his wings looking just a little more appropriate for flight.

In no particular order:
Move Action: Double Chug, drinking both drinks. This'll get me to Tipsy from Stupor Monk. (It'll also get me within range of ascending if I need to)
Move Action: Armored Mage Aegis / Angelic Form, lasting a grand total of 15 hours.
Skilled Casting Drawback: [roll0] vs DC 30.

Finish Mutagen: It'll grant a +8 Con, +6 Strength, +4 Dexterity, and +6 Natural Armor when I drink it closer to stuff happening. For the heck of it, I'll use Gene-Splicing to add on Cosmic Body's Spirit Reach.

70ft of Bright Light from Goldhoard Vestments, lol. Another 90ft of Dim Light, just for the heck of it I guess.

Even if the light doesn't change, everyone within 20ft gains a +1 Morale Bonus to Saves (Icon Tattoo) and Suppresses Fear, Confusion, and Rage conditions (Serene Tattoo).

AdmiralIvy
2023-02-19, 01:32 AM
Xiuying rifles through her pack, procures a notebook and pen, and checks to make sure the stone wall is safe to lean against before doing so. Idly casting preparatory spells (Heightened Awareness (https://www.aonprd.com/SpellDisplay.aspx?ItemName=Heightened%20Awareness) , See Invisibility (https://www.aonprd.com/SpellDisplay.aspx?ItemName=See%20Invisibility), and Moment of Prescience (https://www.aonprd.com/SpellDisplay.aspx?ItemName=Moment%20of%20Prescienc e)) on herself as she writes, she notes the date, sketches a very rough recreation of the yawning opening, pauses to think, and finally jots down "Technically a portal?" before closing the journal and returning it to her pack. Turning to each of her companions, she gives a curt bow in the middle of checking that all her gear is properly secured, ending with Ixen'Hesjing and remarking softly, "Thank you for the offer, but at least for the moment I'd prefer to remain clearheaded." She directs her attention more generally to the group, "For any matter I can assist with, please don't hesitate to ask." Readying her scythe, she waits to follow up the rear of the group.

samduke
2023-02-19, 07:11 AM
Well I can tell you all, we are now in the Plane of Infinite Portals, we can expect demons, vrocks, pazuzu, and the odd few other travellers that may be here. . . .Use caution

paradox26
2023-02-24, 06:51 AM
You enter the cave. It descends sharply into the ground, then flattens out after about fifty yards. You immediately see a pair of what appears to be winged women standing guard. They look out of place in this literal hellhole. They look like they belong in a sultan's harem. Their beauty and wings immediately mark them as succubi. The one on the left hand side spots you, and gestures to come forward. "The Mistress awaits your coming. Enter now, and you will learn why you were summoned here," she says.

As you pass between the two succubi, you enter a small chamber. A woman sits on a stone outcrop within. Her looks make the succubi look plain. She seems to sense you as much as see you, as she is watching the entry the moment you enter. "Greetings, mortals. I thank you for coming to meet with me in this...unusual...time and place. Allow me to introduce myself. I am Malcanthet, Queen of the Succubi. I am sure you have heard of me," she says, her voice a musical melody.

Gunhaven
2023-02-24, 10:17 AM
Ixen’Hesjing shrugged his shoulders in a passing imitation of a bipedal creature before casually grabbing the cauldron in his front paws, wearing his miscellaneous items in an impromptu saddle bag, and flying above the group at a carefree distance. He was quick enough to easily catch up to them if danger decided to approach the four of them. When they got to the cave and Reiza mentioned where they were at he grumbled ”Can never go to some nice place these days.”

He swoops into the cave, maintaining a comfortable position near the back, and lands after the hundred and fifty feet. He takes a look back, makes a mental note how long it’d take him to fly back to the surface, and finally notices the succubi. He then looks down and frowns at the liquid in his cauldron, saying apologetically ”I think the sake’s no good any more anyway” to no one in particular. He hums and ultimately dumps out the liquid so he can shove his bags back into it and not have his paws occupied.

He nods his head to the succubi in acknowledgment and then saunters his way past them. They’re beautiful, sure, and this cave is spacious enough for a good sized hoard but this isn’t some nice seaside cliff. He pauses and bows once more to the person who apparently called them here, failing to recognize anything beyond the word “queen”. Then he patiently waits the more sociable members to speak, existing peacefully behind the chosen spokesperson.

samduke
2023-02-25, 12:28 AM
Demon Lord Malcanthet, Queen of the Succubi. What have you summoned us here for?

AdmiralIvy
2023-02-26, 02:03 AM
Xiuying follows the group quietly. Upon being greeted with politeness rather than combat, she pauses for a moment before stowing her weapon and giving a curt bow to each of the guards at the door. Entering, she stays near the exit but remains focused on the demon-queen, considering whether it would be impolite to take notes. Opting for caution over knowledge, she resigns herself to commit the conversation and details of Malcanthet to memory, for later recording.

paradox26
2023-02-27, 05:27 AM
"I need you to carry out a task for me. Demons are either too weak to do it, compared to you, or else they either are too ambitious or too recognisable. Mortal adventurers are more nondescript, though you will stand out more than demons will in this land. Still, there are enough mortals here to fight in the Blood War, or for their own dark purposes, that you should mostly be able to travel undisturbed," she replies.

"I am allied with Demogorgon's two heads. I assume you know that they are at perpetual war with each other. Though it is possible that such news has not made it to the material plane. Anyway, I need you to travel to the town of Broken Reach. I then need you to consult with a being named Red Shroud. They will be able to give you directions to the Wells of Darkness, where I need you to rescue someone."

samduke
2023-02-27, 06:00 PM
Whom are we to rescue and describe them fully if you can. and what do we get when this is completed ?

paradox26
2023-03-01, 01:39 AM
"You are in search of the Lady of Delights, Shami-Amourae. She is a former consort of Demogorgon, much like myself. She is hard to miss. By mortal standards her beauty will shine like a gold piece in muck. She has been imprisoned, and you will need to speak to Red Shroud to find out how to get to her. As for what you get out of this, anything you like. Within reason. What would be your price?" she asks.

Gunhaven
2023-03-01, 06:59 AM
Ixen'hesjing takes a gander over at Xiuying and figures she can handle notes for what they have to do before turning his head back to the former (former?) consort of Demogorgon. While all this talk of extra planar affairs goes over his head he remains silent for the majority of the conversation. The discussion of desires and rewards stops him from day dreaming and he hums in thought for a minute before throwing in his two copper with a "Gold's always nice. I should get a nice hoard physically set up now that the Vestment is sufficiently fed. Probably. Maybe a demiplane even." He then goes back to relaxing, figuring Reiza probably knows where to go when the conversation dries up.

samduke
2023-03-01, 01:34 PM
speaking softer directly to Ixen, problem with demons and devils alike, they do not always keep their word, and sometimes will twist what ever to their benefit , so asking for gold is ok and probably safe you failed to specify an amount.

then after some thought on the matter

Demon Lord Malcanthet, Queen of the Succubi, I ask that when this task is completed that I, and my associate's here be indefinitely released from any current and future service to any demon or devil, In addition to anything we find along the way and returned to the material plane to live out our days as we see fit

paradox26
2023-03-02, 03:52 AM
Malcanthet doesn't even pause to consider these requests. "I cannot free you from any deal done with a devil, but you will not owe me any debt, and I will do everything in my power to free you from any deal you do with a demon. You will of course be free to keep whatever you find along the way during this task. And I will top this off with a hundred thousand golden crowns to each of you after the task is completed. Does that cover your requirements?" she asks.

AdmiralIvy
2023-03-03, 04:01 AM
Xiuying steps forward to stand alongside her companions, and glances between them and Malcanthet. "This all seems agreeable to me, your majesty. Would we be permitted to contact you during this excursion, and if so, is there any means you could provide to that end? To better serve your request in the case of unexpected developments that may require your input, as the hiring party."

paradox26
2023-03-05, 06:37 AM
"I fear I cannot make contact with you during your task. I am playing a dangerous game already, and if I am uncovered it will go badly for me. That is why we meet here in a cave on Pazunia, not in my castle. I can answer some questions now, though likely not all. You will have to show initiative during your task. I can tell you what you seek, but not exactly how. Red Shroud will be able to tell you more, but even then, I am not certain how much they know. You may have to uncover some things for yourself, things even I do not know that I do not know," she says.

Gunhaven
2023-03-06, 02:00 AM
With a shrug of his hips, Ixen’Hesjing hums in thought for a second before saying ”It feels like I’m forgetting something but also that there’s a certain amount of information we can’t really ask about.” And then, almost as an afterthought he adds ”Why exactly is this Shami-Amourae imprisoned? How is it that this Red Shroud knows more? Why is a former cohort helping a former cohort? What is a succubi’s favorite drink?”

He then chuckles at the joke he apparently made. Turning to his companions he says ”Ah, about time we do some sleuthing as I’ve heard others say. Maybe figure out a good set of questions for this Red Shroud, maybe enjoy a good drink with some locals at this Broken Reach, maybe attract too much attention.”

samduke
2023-03-06, 07:46 AM
Seems we need to travel to Broken Reach for certain

Once the meeting has finished, and everyone is out, shortly after beginning the journey, Keep you guards up trust nothing and no-one in this plane.

paradox26
2023-03-12, 02:08 AM
Malcanthet nods her appreciation of the good questions. "Shami-Amourae is imprisoned because she failed to please Demogorgon, trying to turn the two heads against one another. They do communicate sometimes, and worked out what she was doing, and so she was sent down for her daring. Red Shroud is a demon lord in their own right, and have access to information even I do not always have. As for why a cohort is helping a cohort, that is a wise question. The answer is that I seek to get back into Demogorgon's good books, and having a former cohort owe me a favour will help with that. Favours are a valuable resource, and as she knows Demogorgon as well as I do, if not better, then she may prove useful," she says. As a throwaway afterthought, she adds, "And a succubi's favourite drink is whatever her mark is drinking, or buys for her."

As far as you can tell, she is being honest with you, though the bit about simply seeking a favour from Shami-Amourae sounds, one the face of it, to be at least a little questionable. But every sense and ability you have says that she is telling the truth.

AdmiralIvy
2023-03-15, 01:06 AM
Xiuying considers the answers the queen has given, before slowly nodding. She bows deeply to the succubus, and straightens to speak to her, and then her companions, "Thank you for all the answers you've given us. I agree to this task and will see it out to the best of my abilities, with the aid of my fellows. Reiza, Ixen, I unfortunately haven't prepared any transportation spells today. Would you rather we start the trek on foot, or take some time to convene and plan ahead? My magic is at your service, as always."

samduke
2023-03-16, 12:55 PM
we should probably be on our way.

Gunhaven
2023-03-18, 02:21 AM
With a friendly smile and a shrug of his shoulders Ixen’Hesjing says ”I’m fine with whatever. If we’re on the right plane or however this place works then I could probably just carry everyone.” He seems to ponder this for a moment before nodding and adding ”Yeah, that sounds doable. I should head out of this cave first, being huge in here would be a pain.”

paradox26
2023-03-19, 02:07 AM
Malcanthet nods her approval. "It is on this layer of the plane, so you either you can travel by magic, or else you can try to walk there. It may be dangerous travelling by foot in the Abyss, though," she observes.

samduke
2023-03-19, 06:10 AM
Xiuying
maybe we can travel by magic but who is to say it would be accurate, unless you have the ability to make it accurate?
if so maybe we can get lodging here first before we leave

QuantumFlash
2023-03-19, 02:09 PM
An old man approaches out of the darkness, easily visible in a fine white robe, though more striking is the paleness of his skin, which somehow seems as if it might be even more pale than the robe. Moving with a grace that belies his apparent age, he approaches the group while casting an appraising eye over everyone there. Ulbar gives a nod to the group. "I apologize for my tardiness, since it appears I am not the only one summoned and it is clear you are already preparing to leave. If I may ask, then, what is the purpose for which I was brought here?"

Edit: forgot to add in a few background actions: Ulbar will have precast on the way there Extended Mind Blank (https://www.d20pfsrd.com/magic/all-spells/m/mind-blank/) and Extended One with the Cosmos (https://www.d20pfsrd.com/magic/3rd-party-spells/kobold-press-open-design/one-with-the-cosmos/).

samduke
2023-03-19, 02:28 PM
Speaking to Ubar
Demon Lord Malcanthet, Queen of the Succubi, wants us to travel this plane in search of the Lady of Delights, Shami-Amourae, and we will need to speak to Red Shroud to find out how to get to her, we were just discussing the need to travel a ways over this plane and Xiuying here apparently can do so but needs the magic available, which it currently is not. I can use my boots but there are no guarantees of arriving on target as I have not seen the place and so I choose to not risk it. Do you have any such magic ?

QuantumFlash
2023-03-19, 02:53 PM
Ulbar replies, "Yes, I have several long distance transport spells available. I do need a little more information, however, since I do not know where this Red Shroud is. Do we have a particular location for them?"

samduke
2023-03-19, 04:03 PM
we were told the Wells of Darkness

AdmiralIvy
2023-03-22, 12:30 AM
Xiuying
maybe we can travel by magic but who is to say it would be accurate, unless you have the ability to make it accurate?
if so maybe we can get lodging here first before we leave
Finishing her thought to Reiza before turning to the newcomer, "My idea was less on the side of direct transposition, as you are of course correct, and more a mere hastening of our journey. We could fly there at great speed, though now that I consider the option more, I'd need to know of potential dangers to that plan. Do you know if the skies are safe on this plane?" Following that, an aside directed to Ulbar accompanied by a curt bow, "No apology is necessary, interplanar travel is often unpredictable. If you would be willing to accompany us, and able to provide such spells immediately, I would be sincerely grateful."

samduke
2023-03-22, 06:56 AM
I would have to say that the possibility of running into something that fly's on this plane is average at best. I know there is magic that can teleport with accuracy, however I do not possess that magic. If either of you have such it may be the best option, however I do have the limited ability to cause myself to fly. If there is a better magic that can cause all of us to fly, then it is also a great option with a few risks.

QuantumFlash
2023-03-22, 10:03 AM
“My magic is such that I could take us anywhere, on this plane or any other, with perfect accuracy so long as I have accurate enough knowledge of the destination. Manual travel is thus only necessary if some power impedes teleportation.”

paradox26
2023-03-23, 03:47 AM
Malcanthet listens to the discussion, then stirs at something that was said. "Red Shroud is not in the Wells of Darkness. That is where Shami-Amourae is imprisoned. Red Shroud is to be found ruling the town of Broken Reach. Broken Reach is on this layer of the Abyss, The Wells are the seventy-third layer of the Abyss," she says.

samduke
2023-03-23, 09:06 AM
Mostly ignoring the Demon Queens comment, regardless of where , accurate transportation is neigh on impossible unless it has been visited or at least seen. So flying to Broken Reach may be the best option after all.

QuantumFlash
2023-03-23, 09:24 AM
"This is not true. Even if I have never seen the place, a sufficiently accurate description is plenty enough for greater teleportation. Though considering how few are capable of using such magic, it does not surprise me that its capabilities are not well known."

samduke
2023-03-23, 11:44 AM
well then ask the mighty demon queen for a description, she may know it well enough

Gunhaven
2023-03-24, 05:36 AM
Ixen’Hesjing let out a low whistle at the discussion of teleportation reared it’s head. He casually mentioned in a break ”That’s pretty impressive, Ulbar. The best I can do is about a quarter of a mile at a time and that would cut into my abilities a bit.” He stretches his wings a bit and adds on ”Probably about half that speed if I flew there casually. Nothing quite like teleporting though.”

QuantumFlash
2023-03-24, 07:33 PM
Ulbar turns to the demon. "I presume you are our employer? It is a good point, if you would, a description of the town would greatly facilitate matters."

paradox26
2023-03-25, 07:06 AM
Malcanthet nods slightly, the movement filled with grace and power. "I am indeed your employer, though once you leave on your task there are limits as to what I can do to assist you," she says. "Describing Broken Reach is easy, in that it is a fairly typical Abyssal town, though it is unique for its portal to Plague-Mort that is to be found beneath the city. But I am not sure I can describe every street to you, to give you sufficient detail to teleport there." She then tells you a little more about the city, probably enough that a sufficiently powerful spell would be able to find the place, but beyond the reach of a standard teleport spell.

The extra information can be found in the OOC thread. A Greater Teleport or Gate spell will have enough information to get you there.

QuantumFlash
2023-03-25, 10:17 AM
Ulbar listens carefully to what the demon says, and nods thoughtfully. “Yes. That matches what I have heard before about the place. That is plenty for me to target a spell there.” He turns to everyone else and holds out his hand. “If everyone else is ready to depart, place your hand on mine. We must all be in contact with one another for me to take you along with me.”

AdmiralIvy
2023-03-26, 01:09 AM
Xiuying listens intently to the discussion, only chiming in once Ulbar has made his decision, "Thank you for expediting this journey. If you would permit it, I'd like to discuss our joint capabilities when we next have a chance to rest. I think it would be useful, for me to be able to better complement your repertoire of spells." She lays her hand on his, spending the moment recalling what she has prepared that might be useful in the case of a hostile welcome.

samduke
2023-03-26, 09:26 AM
joining hands with the others, This should be an interesting discussion.

paradox26
2023-03-27, 06:13 AM
The party teleports using Ulbar's magic, arriving on the outskirts of a small but compact town of broken, crumbling towers. Creatures of all sorts pass by without so much as a glance at the party. They look like a representative mixture of the multiverse's population, though there are many more demons and far fewer celestials and devils to be found here than in a place like Sigil.

You can hear the sounds of merchants above all the yelling and screaming that can be found in any city. The merchants, you can only assume, must be coming from the famed markets of the town. The town is famed for its portal to Plague-Mort, the border town, and so many merchants and travellers pass by, creating the perfect location for a market.

QuantumFlash
2023-03-27, 11:52 PM
Ulbar retracts his hand after the teleport completes and looks around. "Just as busy as I've heard. Still, the abyss isn't nice this time of year, or really any time of year. Now, there is a market here, and I presume some of us may wish to procure supplies or items for the upcoming trip? Shall we do that before or after we have contacted Red Shroud?"

Gunhaven
2023-03-28, 02:20 AM
With a few blinks and a chuckle, Ixen'Hesjing says ”A lovely enough place. I say we get any sort of specific items after we talk to this Red Shroud. They can probably tell us if we do, in fact, need anything in particular.” He hums in thought as he thinks about potential items and comes up blank for now.

samduke
2023-03-28, 06:18 AM
I agree we should find and talk to this Red Shroud first then get things if we think it is necessary.

paradox26
2023-03-30, 06:27 AM
The way to Red Shroud is easily uncovered. You know of the town that her private quarters and most important buildings in the town are to be found underground. But her throne room is to be found inside a prominent building in the middle of the town. It has white walls and blood-red spires and windows. The throne room itself is sixty feet off the ground, reached by big spiraling ramps.

Four statues of Red Shroud, made of red marble, lay halfway up the ramps. A shimmering curtain of red fire blocks the entrance to the throne room.

samduke
2023-03-30, 10:52 AM
pointing in the direction of the building, thinking to herself, I Wonder if we need permission to enter, Well it seems that is the most likely spot

Gunhaven
2023-03-30, 07:54 PM
Ixen’Hesjing let out an impressed whistle, or as close as one can get to a dragon’s muzzle, post teleportation and says ”Teleportation will never fail to amaze me. It’s nice having magically gifted compatriots.” He didn’t bother hiding his awed tourist face, clearly enjoying the new experience, up to and including the administrative temple.

With a shrug he mumbles ”No point in being subtle right now.” He then calls out loud enough for someone on the other side to hear him ”Lady Red Shroud? We beseech you and request your aid in a matter. May we enter?”

QuantumFlash
2023-03-30, 08:19 PM
While Ixen is calling out, Ulbar inspects the barrier with magic senses, casting an extended Arcane Sight and a Detect Magic to help with the investigation.

samduke
2023-04-02, 05:52 AM
if there is no answer to Ixen's call out
Well we might as well go in, if they have an issue I guess they will stop us

Walking into the throne room looking for the Red Shroud

paradox26
2023-04-06, 03:50 AM
The flame curtain presents strong illusion magic. Those who approach it manage to simply walk through into the throne room. There is a small blast of noise as you enter, as though the flames were acting like a curtain blocking noise from inside.

Within, the room is large, with polished floors. There are curtained off alcoves all along each wall. The central floor is a sheet of polished glass, which looks magical to your failing magical senses. Red Shroud's throne stands atop a dais at the far end of the room. Red Shroud herself lounges upon the throne. Or at least, you can only assume that is who sits upon the throne. A demon Queen is unlikely to allow anyone else to sit on their throne.

A nalfeshnee stands just inside the room where you enter. It asks you in a surprisingly polite voice what exactly your business with the Mistress is.

Gunhaven
2023-04-07, 05:42 AM
Ixen’Hesjing gives Reiza a solid 12 seconds before following after with a shrug. He blinks a couple times at the loud sound and bows his head at the pair of demons in the room. More to himself he mutters ”I’ll never get used to royalty.”

He then cleared his throat and bowed more properly at the mistress before turning to the nalfeshnee and saying ”Sorry for barging in, guess you two didn’t hear me earlier. Are we in the right spot and we’re before Lady Red Shroud?”

paradox26
2023-04-10, 04:51 AM
The nalfeshnee nods slightly, almost in surprise at being asked if the throne room for the town held its usual occupant. "This is indeed the throne room and bastion of Mistress Red Shroud. Before you may approach her, you must tell me what is the purpose of your visit. I will decide if you are worthy to address her personally," it says.

Reiza looks up at the monstrous creature. It doesn't seem to be the sort of slavering monster that demons are supposed to be, though its looks are as horrible as expected. "We require information about the Wells of Darkness. A demon lord has sent us to free someone from it, and we need to know more about the place before we can enter the Wells," she says.

The nalfeshnee pauses, then looks across the room at its mistress. There is a long moment, then it says, "You may advance and ask your question. The Mistress will see you" You recall suddenly that some demons have the power of telepathy, and that it may have been asking its mistress the question.

Gunhaven
2023-04-12, 04:19 AM
Ixen'Hesjing hums for a few seconds in thought before giving another shrug and strides forward so that he's not uncomfortably shouting or anything. He then says to the succubi "As you've heard we seek someone held within the Well of Darkness." He pauses and starts to gauge her reaction as he adds "Her name is Shami-Amourae, which I'm sure someone in your position knows all about." He holds off on adding anything else as he casually fills his head with thoughts of what kind of alcohol an abyssal tavern would stock.

paradox26
2023-04-13, 06:29 AM
Red Shroud looks a little surprised at this news. She sits up in the throne she had previously been lounging upon, and studies the group more intently. Finally, she says, "And what will you pay me for this information? I do not simply hand out information to any who ask it of me." she looks displeased at the name of Shami-Amourae.

You examine the room even as she speaks. There are four hezrous behind her, and a sort of red headed halfling stands off to one side, wearing clothing with an entirely fire-based motif.

samduke
2023-04-13, 10:45 AM
The Demon Lord Malcanthet, Queen of the Succubi, asked us to travel this plane in search of the Lady of Delights, Shami-Amourae, and that we would need to speak to you to find out how to get to her. Now I am no expert on Demon Lords as a whole, but I suspect that her name carries with it some weight. You ask for payment for the information, I will ask what kind of payment you might expect.

Waiting for a reply then

Maybe you should seek that payment from The Demon Lord Malcanthet, Queen of the Succubi.

edit
rolls in ooc

QuantumFlash
2023-04-14, 09:16 AM
Ulbar notes the others moving through and steps through the barrier himself experimentally, though he chooses to leave the negotiations up to the others for the moment and instead continues to study the illusory barrier as an up close example of the magic used by high level demons.

paradox26
2023-04-15, 04:43 AM
"Ah, of course mother would be involved in this," Red Shroud says. "If I assist her, I will offend Demogorgon himself. It would require a great deal of coin to be able to make such a thing worthwhile to me. I make enemies either way. Hence my displeasure at your clumsy approach," she adds.

You realise she is right. The politics of the Abyss are intricate and involved, and even one such as Red Shroud can be little more than a pawn in such things.

Gunhaven
2023-04-15, 04:29 PM
Ixen’Hesjing slowly blinks and says with evident confusion ”Mother…?” Then with a heavy sigh he pours out another gallon of decent quality sake into his cauldron and uses it as an oversized cup once more. Once a little loose he offers the cauldron to others and says ”No point in doing this too sober, yeah? Especially with that kind of reveal.”

Then as an afterthought he adds as an obvious joke ”This ain’t a bribe or offer of payment or anything like that, just a friendly gesture. They’re probably both trinkets compared to what’s obviously in your own hoard, Mistress Red Shroud.”

samduke
2023-04-16, 12:27 AM
My initial question does still remain what is it you seek in payment?

paradox26
2023-04-19, 02:33 AM
Red Shroud sighs, and says, "I require cash, coins of gold. Or magical items, if you prefer to offer those. Basically items of great worth. And it must be of very great worth for it to be worthwhile for me to betray Demogorgon."

samduke
2023-04-19, 07:25 AM
Red Shroud sighs, and says, "I require cash, coins of gold. Or magical items, if you prefer to offer those. Basically items of great worth. And it must be of very great worth for it to be worthwhile for me to betray Demogorgon."

Reiza studies Red Shroud for a moment. Excuse us while we discuss an appropriate payment. (see ooc)

After some discussions it is realized there is probably not enough to pay off the succubus. Oh Gracious host we will need to obtain the required donation from Demon Lord Malcanthet, Queen of the Succubi.

turning to her companions, we need to leave and go re-visit Malcanthet to satisfy the red shroud

edited to avoid double post

paradox26
2023-04-24, 01:58 AM
Red Shroud seems to nod within her robe. "A wise choice. Give my greetings to my mother when you see her," she says. Her voice seems to be neutral, which is an improvement over the hostility you heard when you first mentioned Shami-Amourae.

QuantumFlash
2023-04-27, 11:57 PM
Ulbar, looking perhaps a bit irritated at the way the exchange had gone, nevertheless nods. ”Very well. Let us depart then, I will bring us there and back again.

paradox26
2023-05-02, 02:14 AM
Red Shroud studies the party, then says, "I doubt you have sufficient transport spells to do the job required. I will transport you back to my mother, and you can ask her to transport you back here. I am sure she will comply."

The party is transported back to Malcanthet, and a brief negotiation ensues, wherein she agrees to fund your questions. She then returns you, somewhat reluctantly, to the town, where you make your way back to Red Shroud's throne room. Upon readmittance, she looks mildly surprised. "My mother must really desire what information I have, because I really did not think she would return you here. How much did you bring me?"

Gunhaven
2023-05-02, 05:35 AM
With a shrug of his haunches, Ixen'Hesjing casually says "She shared our desire to not waste too much of your time. Now then..." He then plops down a bit over half of the advanced funds they got before looking to the others to see if they should add more to the pot.

Unless someone has a different desire, then I'll plop down 40,000 out of 73,700 gold to at least get us out of the red.

samduke
2023-05-03, 02:43 PM
Reiza
looking to Red Shroud, then speaking I believe the amount here is sufficient for the information we have requested

paradox26
2023-05-06, 03:26 AM
"That should be sufficient for some information, and to forestall my wrath," Red Shroud says, weighing the pouch in her hand. The pouch is big, but is filled with gems, as Malcanthet figured that was more convenient than handing over a giant and unwieldy sack of gold pieces. She looks inside the pouch, pulling a ruby out of it and idly inspecting it, in a manner that makes clear that she is just admiring its beauty, and not insulting the party by doubting that what you provided are not real gems of value.

Okay, I need just one of you to roll a Diplomacy check, now that the penalty has been negated. First one to roll is the one we will go with.

paradox26
2023-05-10, 12:37 AM
Red Shroud considers what she has to say. Finally, she speaks up. "Very well. I will tell you this much. Shami-Amourae was spurned by Demogorgon due to my mother's machinations. My mother therefore might be able to help get her released, though that would be difficult. As for the Wells of Darkness, they are largely abandoned by demons. Those who wander from the white marble path that winds through the Wells of Darkness risk incurring the wrath of the Abyss itself. Those who linger for more than a few hours risk incurring the attention of the Custodians. Although it is possible to escape the Wells, that usually requires the Lords of Woe or the help of a greater deity. Although the layer has no demon lord, many of its properties were established by a demon known as Ahazu the Seizer, demon lord of the night and abductions. He would be helpful, but he disappeared from the multiverse long ago.

One of the Fraternity of Order, who first found the layer, claimed a ruined fortress atop the layer's highest peak as a base. It is now thought to be filled with wraiths and specters, possibly formed from the remains of his followers. The inner chamber of the fortress apparently contain a scale model of the entire layer, complete with inky pools marked with the demonic seals of the inhabitants. Some demons believe that it protects some sort of controlling mechanism for the entire plane, but no one can figure out how to make it work. The fortress, called Overlook, was constructed by the followers of Ahazu the Seizer. The cult was destroyed by Orcus after his followers tried to imprison Orcus as an offering to Ahazu. It was after this detsruction that Ulricon of the Fraternity of Order first catalogued the layer.

As for Shami-Amourae, she once sought to take my mother's role as Queen of the Succubi. Her followers, the Disciples of Delight, have largely faded away, but they occasionally appear even here in Broken Reach. She was once Demogorgon's consort, but he spurned her in favour of my mother. Rumour has it that she is now imprisoned in the Wells," she says.

She pauses in consideration, allowing the party time to collect their thoughts. Eventually, she continues, "Your offering pleases me, so as well as information, I will provide you with the following. First, you are welcome at any time into Broken Reach. Second, I will remove the tax on goods bought within the town."

She then reaches into her belt pouch, and pulls something out. It looks like an overgrown tooth. "I also have the tooth of Ahazu, which you can have. It is a Tooth of Dahlver-Nar. It was brought here and traded to a varrangoin outcast named Sutolore. The seller was a lilitu demonin Malcanthet's service."

"As for how you can get to the Wells, I am sure you can find a spell focus for a Plane Shift spell here in Broken Reach. Otherwise, you will need to use a Gate spell to get there. Otherwise, you will be able to use the Pit of Prisoners to get there, though you would need someone in the group to carry a relic of a being imprisoned in the Wells."

Gunhaven
2023-05-15, 03:36 AM
For a few minutes Ixen’Hesjing waits and looks around before mumbling to himself ”Sometimes I miss the days of getting rid of goblins in caves.” He then takes a deep breath in and slowly exhales, bowing at the same time.
He says ”Thank you for the information and gift, as well as the hospitality.” He finally rights himself and turns to his companions, nonchalantly saying ”Seems like we might need to gate to this fortress, find the map, and figure out what pit Shami’s in. That’s probably the easy part, though.”

samduke
2023-05-15, 06:14 PM
Ixen do you think gate will function properly to get us there ?

Gunhaven
2023-05-16, 05:12 AM
With a shrug of his haunches, Ixen’Hesjing says ”Shoot, I think so? I’ve only personally used short range teleports when my flying isn’t good enough.” Then with a laugh he adds ”or I haven’t drank enough!”

A few more chuckles follow before he turns to Ulbar and asks ”I’m only vaguely aware of traditional spell casting from watching others. What are the odds we could use such a powerful spell all willy nilly like? And do you have any means to deal with the inevitable question of our rest? Although I should be able to help with the latter if we don’t mind camping on the layer.”

samduke
2023-05-16, 06:44 AM
I can not even short range teleport though I am aware of the magic. I have a bedroll to sleep on, and not much in the way of magical rest or healing for that matter, Maybe one of our allies can?

Gunhaven
2023-05-16, 07:33 PM
With another shrug, Ixen’Hesjing says ”Oh, yeah, I can probably take care of healing well enough. I’ve worked with some people who could do better but it’s enough to make do, plus I can always come back. Good thing, too! Turns out when you get to the point that your blood makes dwarves drunk you don’t last long!” He laughs for a good twenty seconds before sighing and looks around.

He says ”Come, we don’t need to use up more of Mistress Red Shroud’s time. Let’s chatter a bit and figure out a plan outside the flames at least.” He then moves to continue the chat just outside the throne room, sticking close by in case they come up with a question or concern.

samduke
2023-05-16, 10:40 PM
Reiza turns to leave and walks out with the rest of the party

BelGareth
2023-06-04, 05:06 PM
The envoy from the Sun, joined everyone for the meeting with the Red Shroud he stayed quiet throughout the meeting, standing in the back, his eyes glowing a burnished golden, and observing everything, he never spoke, just observed, and nodded his head every now and then, turning it to the side as if mentally conversing with another person.

As you all leave, a tremendous burst of light erupts from the envoy, and a different person is standing in his place.

He raises his hands up in a triumph, ”I am come! Your chances of success just went up by 100%!” He declares to the group, ”Apologies for the late arrival, I have been monitoring the situation via a proxy, and it just got interesting. I herald from the court of the Golden sun, Pelor the Burning hate has some interest in this, and so, here I am, envoy and herald to the Eternal Sun, which seems apropos for this situation. And apparently, just what you needed, as my spell repertoire includes lots of transportation spells, but I focus on light, and the power of the sun.” His last statement is obviated by his radiance, and the garbs he wears, and well, he is literally glowing.

He looks like an old man, and you can’t quite discern his age, but he shows as a middle aged man, regal, and royal, he holds his arm with the excess cloth of his garments as an ancient deity of some lost long forgotten civilization. He holds a staff in his other hand, and walks with a limp.

Shakrat, the Coming Light (http://www.myth-weavers.com/sheet.html#id=2795238)
M LN Human Solar Oracle // Solar Sorcerer, Level 21, Init 12, HP 255/255, Speed 20
AC 38, Touch 25, Flat-footed 30, CMD 41, Fort 20, Ref 21, Will 20, CMB +16, Base Attack Bonus 15
[10/10] Staff of Power (+2 quarterstaff) +18/+13/+8 (1d6+3, x3)
Bracers of armor +8 (+8 Armor, +8 Dex, +5 Natural, +5 Deflect, +2 Misc)
Abilities Str 12, Dex 26, Con 24, Int 14, Wis 13, Cha 34
Condition Serpent in the Sun: (if received 4 hours+ of sunlight)
-do not need to eat or drink
-immune to non/magical diseases, poison and fatigue
immunity to fire
low-light vision
Immunity to dazzled
Conjuration (teleport) or spells with the fire/light descriptor are automatically enlarged
Spells with fire descriptor gain +1 damage per die rolled

Warlawk
2023-06-05, 02:03 PM
https://i.pinimg.com/564x/dc/63/dd/dc63dd32a29752bf3ccf7cc8eecd0175.jpg
Rysn Ymeric (http://www.myth-weavers.com/sheet.html#id=2794834)

Male NG Aasimar (Peri-Blooded) Arcanist 20/Loremaster 1 | Transcendant 21, Level 21, Init 11, HP 252/252, Speed 30
AC 40, Touch 40, Flat-footed 33, CMD 57, Fort 35, Ref 35, Will 31, CMB +17/+12/+7, Base Attack Bonus 15/10/5
(+7 Dex, +9 Natural, +14 Misc)
Abilities Str 14, Dex 24, Con 24, Int 38, Wis 16, Cha 28
Condition Pestilence Cloak: 50% miss chance
Eyes of the Hawkguard: True Seeing
Sprinter's Boots: +16 Initiative
Eye of the Oracle: Analyze Dweomer

Rysn had held back thus far, observing everything but unwilling to commit to the forming venture. He was unsure if his drive to join was based purely in vengeance or if he found the cause itself worthy enough. As events unfolded he decided that regardless of his own motivations the cause was both worthy, and needed his help.

He watched as one of the other observers stepped forward, bursting into divine radiance and listened to his words. When the boisterous man had finished Rysn stepped forward himself. A man of average height and build, carrying the weight of centuries behind his flickering azure eyes. Motes of eldritch energy flickered in the air around his plain, well worn travel garb as he bowed to the assemblage. "Rysn Ymeric, at your service goodfolk. I believe our causes align and I would like to offer my services as a wizard of some capability." Though less effusive than the other gentleman, he felt confident his presence would be welcomed.

"It would seem that our next order of business would be to decide if we need to secure information about the location of our target within the Wells or if we wish to travel to the Wells directly and search on our own. It sounds as if there is risk of become trapped or at least entangled with the Custodians of that place should we wander too long. I should be able to take us directly there with a Gate if needed, does anyone need to purchase supplies in town before we depart?"

Starmage21
2023-06-08, 08:16 AM
The dark robed figure steps forward, quiet until this moment. He waited for a chance to speak directly and using carefully chosen words, listening intently to the group in spite of being distracted by the intrusive stray thought. First lowering the hood of his cloak so that he may see eye to eye with Red Shroud, and so that his peripheral vision is not clouded.

Jaxon is a freshly shaven and groomed human with dark hair and a face that seems a little nondescript or everyman. Only his hazel eyes stand out.

First you find out your guild master achieved his position with the help of demons. Then he offers you a favor to help him repay his favor to the demons, and this is the group of rag-tags you end up with in The Abyss of all places!

"Red Shroud. I have some other questions that you may be able to answer. As I imagine Shami-Amourae has not been simply transported to the plane and left to her own devices, will you tell us where within The Wells has Shami-Amourae been imprisoned?"

"Furthermore, will you then also explain to us exactly what is necessary to free Shami-Amourae from her bondage within The Wells of Darkness?"

"If there is information that you lack in answering my other questions, will you then put us in contact with those who can provide the additional information you do not have?"

paradox26
2023-06-09, 03:34 AM
Red Shroud shrugs, and answers, "I do not know exactly where within the Wells she may be, and I do not know how she may be released. A combination of stealth, skill and pure power may allow you to break her out of her prison. But you will have to locate her prison once you get to the Wells. Her location is protected by someone I assume to be Demogorgon, and I will not cross him more than I have by aiding you so far. I am sorry for the limited information I can offer you, but that is all I possess. Once someone goes to the Wells they are rarely heard from again, so I never even considered the possibility she may be released by anyone"

Gunhaven
2023-06-09, 08:01 PM
Ixen’Hesjing smiles at the trio of allies and moves to get out the ole cauldron and jug, saying ”Hello fellow travelers! A drink among friends? Gallon’s a bit much for just me.” After another round of questions he adds on ”Glad we got someone else to ask the big questions. I’m a big fan of just doing.”

samduke
2023-06-10, 08:11 AM
https://i.pinimg.com/736x/27/59/46/27594628d520ede08287fce833582bee.jpg
Reiza Duneknight (http://www.myth-weavers.com/sheet.html#id=2734193)
Slayer/Sentinel
AC 48, Touch 25, Flat-footed 39
DR:5/-
HP:483
Perception:35
Delayed Damage Pool: 102
Reserve Points: 19
Second Wind (Ex): 10d6+9 heals no more than 50% max
Conditions: none

Well that is a bit more information than we had before. We should probably be ever vigilant while in the wells for the sounds of it.
As for how to get there, if we are to teleport safe and accurately that will take one of you with more magical talent than I., Actions: looking around at the party

BelGareth
2023-06-12, 09:57 AM
"Alrighty then, you are obviously speaking about me he declares as he starts casting a spell, light tendrils snake out from him, and touch each individual as they do, a static feeling overtakes you, which increases in intensity until the last person is touched, which then suddenly stops, the tendrils retract and a small tear in the material fabric forms before you all, slowly growing.

Cast Gate

M LN Human Solar Oracle // Solar Sorcerer, Level 21, Init 12, HP 255/255, Speed 20
AC 38, Touch 25, Flat-footed 30, CMD 41, Fort 20, Ref 21, Will 20, CMB +16, Base Attack Bonus 15
immunity to fire
low-light vision
Immunity to dazzled
Conjuration (teleport) or spells with the fire/light descriptor are automatically enlarged

paradox26
2023-06-14, 06:08 AM
A steely blue sun casts dim illumination down upon this barren realm, a vast badland of tortured stone that winds through a maze of flagstone pathways that connect dozens of plazas. Each plaza is dominated by a well that drops down to an inky black pool. The stony ground of this layer is interrupted here and there by jagged tors that roughly shield individual wells from their neighbours. Marble paths connect the wells from one to another, and from the small talk Red Shroud made, it sounds like to step off the paths would be to invite the anger of the Abyss itself.

Gunhaven
2023-06-14, 08:36 AM
Ixen’Hesjing gazes up at the sky and blinks at the sun a couple times before looking up and down the path they're currently on. To no one in particular he says "I wonder if the path is strictly walking or if flying is covered. And it seems like we'll need to walk a bit to find that fortress, unless we get lucky on the way there."

Starmage21
2023-06-14, 08:56 AM
Upon arrival, Jaxon begins rapping the butt of his staff rhythmically on the stone beneath him and chanting. A pale glow briefly surrounds everyone before fading and becoming invisible. After turning his head to check that everyone has arrived safely, he draws the hood of his cloak back upon his head.

"That should protect us from the varying and hostile nature of The Abyss itself for a time."

"Now that we're here, I would advise against mentioning any one of our benefactors names, including sobriquets. That directive includes any possible malefactors as well. Sometimes these beings, like The Powers themselves, can hear it when you speak their name and we do not want to garner any additional attention."

"That said, there are a few magical abilities that we can use to locate our target while we're here. Barring those, we will have to resort to traditional methods and legwork. Given that I did not prepare any tracking magic today, I will have to leave it to you lot."

Jaxon cast the sphere effect Planar Protection, spending 1 extra spell point (2 total) to invoke the Mass enhancement. This reduces the duration to 10 minutes per level instead of 1 hour per level.
Planar Protection
Action: Standard
Spell Points: 2
Range: Close
Duration: 210 Minutes
Talents & Spheres: Protection [Aegis], Breathless [Aegis], Planar Refuge[Aegis]
Augment: Mass Enhancement +1 SP
Effect: Subject no longer needs to breathe and is protected from harmful planar environment traits.

Warlawk
2023-06-14, 11:09 AM

Male NG Aasimar (Peri-Blooded) Arcanist 20/Loremaster 1 | Transcendant 21, Level 21, Init 11, HP 252/252, Speed 30
AC 40, Touch 40, Flat-footed 33, CMD 57, Fort 35, Ref 35, Will 31, CMB +17/+12/+7, Base Attack Bonus 15/10/5

Rysn nods appreciatively to Shakrat as he opens the planar gate then addressed the gathered heroes "I am a bit hesitant to just jump into a planar prison for powerful beings without more information, but it appears we will just have to trust in The One to see us through the coming experience."

Stepping through the Gate he looked around taking in the strange new environment. Rysn breathed deep smelling and tasting the air then leaned down to feel the stone beneath their feet, he tapped gently to gauge the density and strength of the stone then lightly stroked the surface to feel the grain and texture. He paused a moment to cement the details in his memory before turning to the others "I believe I have a spell that could help us locate our target by searching the Akashic Record for the information. It will take me just a moment to complete the weaving." He glanced around in question, giving the others time to object before beginning his spell.

Rysn drew his legs up beneath him, floating gently in the air as he began the incantation. Bobbing gently on the dead sluggish air the old mage reached out and drew forth a translucent book with a dim golden glow. As he touched the book to draw it forth a brief flicker of light showed a vision of a bookshelf stretching to infinity. Several times throughout the casting Rsyn drew forth additional books, following the trails of information throughout the history of recent existence.

EDIT: Apparently I shouldn't post right after I wake up, lol. We'll just go with switching to veil set 2, investing in Book and Quill of the Akashic Record for a knowledge check to see if I know anything about our location and target. Result tied with Sam at 52 in the OC thread
Assuming no one voices an objection or stops him, Rysn will use Quick Study to memorize Discern Location in place of Grasping Hand, then cast Discern Location.

Quick Study (Su)
The arcanist can prepare a spell in place of an existing spell by expending 1 point from her arcane reservoir. Using this ability is a full-round action that provokes an attack of opportunity. The arcanist must be able to reference her spellbook when using this ability. The spell prepared must be of the same level as the spell being replaced.

Discern Location
School divination; Level cleric/oracle 8, shaman 8, sorcerer/wizard 8, summoner 6, witch 8; Domain knowledge 8
CASTING
Casting Time 10 minutes
Components V, S, DF

EFFECT
Range unlimited
Target one creature or object
Duration instantaneous
Saving Throw none; Spell Resistance no

DESCRIPTION
A discern location spell is among the most powerful means of locating creatures or objects. Nothing short of a mind blank spell or the direct intervention of a deity keeps you from learning the exact location of a single individual or object. Discern location circumvents normal means of protection from scrying or location. The spell reveals the name of the creature or object’s location (place, name, business name, building name, or the like), community, county (or similar political division), country, continent, and the plane of existence where the target lies.

To find a creature with the spell, you must have seen the creature or have some item that once belonged to it. To find an object, you must have touched it at least once.

samduke
2023-06-14, 01:48 PM
Slayer/Sentinel

Well we seem to have arrived in one piece, now to find our target, Actions: look around , check to make sure we are in the correct area , move stealthy watching out for trouble

(rolls in OOC)

paradox26
2023-06-16, 04:55 AM
You check to see if you can fly above the path, but at a height of twenty feet a thin caustic mist forms, and as you approach it, it coalesces into a thick acidic fog, that you immediately realise should be avoided.

Between the party members, you manage to locate the correct well pretty quickly. But as you approach the well, you see that it is surrounded by what seems to be a swarm of some sort of animals. They are horrific, eight inch long, ants that have long black and red bodies, glowing blue eyes, and purple mandibles that drip with acid.

You hear shrieks and howls of hunger and rage coming from within the well.

Gunhaven
2023-06-16, 06:27 AM
Huhhing at the mist, Ixen’Hesjing opts for the less controversial casual trot. The huhhing continues when they find the supposed well and the strange sounds coming from it. More to the others and less the swarm, he says ”Those howls don’t sound good. Think we need to do some hopscotch, as the kids say?”

BelGareth
2023-06-16, 10:12 AM
Stepping through the gate, Shakrat fixes both of the sleeves of his cloak, smiles and nods, but then his face grows sour when he smells the local 'fragrance'.

Following, he doesn't cast any spells, but you can see he has a severe limp one he just accepts and continues on.

Upon seeing the pit he raises an eyebrow, "Do we know what these large ants are?" he exclaims, more of a statement than a question, as in 'we should probably find out before we dive into the pit' than anything.

[roll0]
I'm not a knowledge bank....

immunity to fire
low-light vision
Immunity to dazzled

Warlawk
2023-06-16, 02:00 PM

Rysn kept a careful eye on their surroundings as the group moved deeper within the otherworldly complex, less with an eye to danger than simply taking in the details of the strange environment itself. His lips moved silently as he soundlessly mumbled to himself, committing the many details to memory.

When he took in the sights of the strange huge ants and the reactions of the others, he paused for a moment. Since the vermin seemed content to swarm their chosen location and not come out to greet the adventurers he takes a deep breath, reaching within the draw on an alternative set of prepared magics. He reached out to delve the Akashic Record as a supplement to his own extensive knowledge of the many worlds.

Full round action to switch to Veil set 2, switching back to set 1 after the check is complete. All knowledge checks have the same bonus except Arcana, so if it's K Arcana to identify then it will be +1 above the following check.
Knowledge check [roll0]

paradox26
2023-06-18, 05:26 AM
Rysn realises what the creatures are. They are an Abyssal Ant Swarm. A very dangerous collection of creatures that could hold their own in a fight with even a nalfeshnee. They will have to be dealt with in one way or another, since they seem to be hanging around the Well you need currently. Of course, you could always either lead them away, or perhaps wait for them to leave. Or maybe some other way may occur to deal with them.

Rysn, you will be able to learn their details, which are on page 166 of the Fiend Folio. It is a 3.5 source, but close enough.

Warlawk
2023-06-18, 06:25 PM

While deep in concentration, focusing his magics to enhance his recall of facts, Rysn's head seemed to twitch toward the pit with each piercing shriek and roar that echoed forth. "An Abyssal Ant is naught but annoyance, a swarm of them on the other hand can be a dangerous foe for even the hardiest of adventurers. We should approach it with caution. They are known to have an acidic bite and can even spit the acid if they can't reach you to deliver it personally. Acid doesn't tend to bother them at all and sadly blades will help us little here. Any sort of large area magical effects are usually particularly effective in clearing out enough of the swarm to cause the rest to disperse."

Rysn gestured the others to gather around close together. "I can provide us some protection from their acid at the least before we engage them. The One knows a bite from one of those looks bad enough without acid eating flesh from our bones. Once we are ready to engage it, I will Haste us, though it doesn't last long so I will do so just before we attack" He then muttered an incantation, touching the others each in turn.

Casting Mass Resist Energy with Extend via Sacred Geometry.
(((((((((((((((((((4+3) +5) -1) *2) +4) *3) /1) /6) -2) +4) *3) +2) -4) -1) -6) /1) -5) +2) -5) +3 = 31
Resist Acid 30, 90 minute duration each for the other 4, 80 minutes on self.
Casting Foresight on self 220 minute duration
Once everyone is ready and done with their own preparations Haste on the party with Extend via Sacred Geometry.
(((((((((((((((((((4+4) /1) +2) +4) -5) +5) +5) /1) +3) +2) +4) /1) -1) +6) +6) -6) *1) *1) -6) +4 = 31

samduke
2023-06-19, 12:21 PM
Slayer/Sentinel

Big nasty ants huh well we need them gone one way or another

Actions: True Sight active, move stealthy [roll0]

Scout As a swift action, you may identify a creature’s weaknesses (DC 10 + creature’s CR) <K. Planes +36, Arcana, Dungeoneering, Local, Nature, Religion all +24 all others +10 [roll1]

Studied target Abyssal Ants, Guardian Challenge Abyssal Ants (13 rounds)

Draw sword and shield

Gunhaven
2023-06-19, 11:45 PM
Ixen'Hesjing hums in thought for a minute before muttering to himself "Well I'm honestly not the most suited for a swarm but..." He waits for the signal before he throws in his own little addition to the swarm fun times: a geyser that sprays into the air and then threatens the surrounding area with freezing rain.

Throwing in a Freezing Geyser (http://spheresofpower.wikidot.com/nature#toc60) right where the ants are. It takes up a 10x10 square and will spread said freezing rain starting next round 30ft around said square.

DC 40 [10 Base + 13 Wisdom + (16/2) CL + 9 from Circlet of Brass] Reflex Save to avoid [roll0] Fire Damage. The Fire Damage ignores 45 points of Fire Resistance and treats Fire Immunity as Fire Resist 50 instead.
If they have evasion they still take [roll1] Fire Damage.

Also here's my init just to get it out of the way: [roll2]

paradox26
2023-06-20, 05:10 AM
The ants immediately turn on the party the moment the first attack comes at them. The swarm is badly damaged by the freezing geyser, but they aren't all killed.

The ants main weakness is to area attacks. They are particularly susceptible to those.

Gunhaven
2023-06-20, 05:58 AM
“If it ain’t broke don’t fix it” plays in Ixen’Hesjing’s mind as he continues to maintain concentration on the geyser with the express purpose of making some roasted ants and/or ant popsicles.

Just gonna keep geysering since I go before the ants.
[roll0] or [roll1] Fire Damage for the ants left in the geyser.

For the things outside of the geyser but within the freezing downpour around it: DC 31 Reflex or [roll2] Cold Damage, and entangled. I do the whole messing with Resistances with the damage and they take [roll3] cold damage if they have evasion.

samduke
2023-06-20, 08:35 AM
Slayer/Sentinel

Die evil ant!

Initiative [26]

Blood Reader Know remaining hit points of studied opponent
Find Gap: ant Ac is 5 less for 10 rounds

Actions: Move into melee speed 30ft towards the nearest ant
Challenged Ant(s)
Studied Target (Ex) +5
Perfect TWF sword & shield

Attack: Ant (+6/+7) Bastard Sword Bane(outsider evil) [roll0] +2 if outsider evil
confirm critical 17-20x3 [roll1]
slashing damage [roll2]
sneak attack [roll3]

Attack Ant (+5) Mithral Heavy Spiked Steel Bashing Shield [roll4]
confirm critical x2 [roll5]
damage [roll6]

two weapon rend [roll7]

if hit also hit with a free bull rush attack substituting attack roll for the combat maneuver check

BelGareth
2023-06-20, 10:03 AM
Shakrat raises an eyebrow at the ants, he was going to be casting a spell to lift him off this demonic dirt, but his companions started without him.

"Very well then"

He brings up his hands and radiant solar energy begins to swell between them, once it coalesced into a sphere, he launched it at them.

init - (1d20+12)[31]

Intensified Fireball DC 25 Ref
[roll=Spell Penetration]1d20=25

immunity to fire
low-light vision
Immunity to dazzled

Warlawk
2023-06-20, 12:13 PM

As everyone prepared to engage the swarm Rysn unleashed the Haste spell he had prepared for this moment and then immediately shifted into another incantation, this one much darker. The eldritch syllables seemed to fall flat into the greasy air, withering rather than echoing as he unleashed a wave of macabre energy into the ants.

Initiative count 47

Cast Horrid Wilting (https://www.d20pfsrd.com/magic/all-spells/h/horrid-wilting/). [roll0] damage, dc 32 Fort for half, [roll1] Spell Penetration check.

Starmage21
2023-06-22, 09:57 AM
Jaxon again begins rapping the base of his crystal-headed staff upon the ground. The protective metal base making the distinct metal-on-stone 'TINK' with each strike. Pale green energy that seems to come from the hostile nature of The Abyss itself gathers around the head of the red gemstone atop the staff. Jaxon chants as his eyes begin to glow and he levels the staff at the center of the ant-swarm. A bead of brightly glowing green energy speeds from the head of the staff in a straight line towards the ant swarm, suddenly expanding as it reaches its intended target. Pale green energy washes over everything in the area in a wave. Everything in the wave's radius collapsing into a pile of dust a mere moment later, leaving behind neat, unnatural angles in the stone, the earth, and even the air.

On initiative 40 Jaxon casts the Burst version of his destruction blast, using 2 Spell Points total
Full Damage +1SP, Disintegrating Blast +1SP, 30ft Radius Burst +1SP, Gather Energy -1SP
Gather Energy uses your move action, so its a Move and a Standard action to cast.
[roll0] Untyped Damage, Reflex DC 37 for Half

Destructive Blast
Action: Standard**
Spell Points: 0**
Range: 1200ft
Duration: Instantaneous
Effect: This attack has 3 forms:
Ray
Ranged Touch +28 ; 17-20/x2; 14d6 Bludgeoning Damage
Talents: Destruction, Extended Range
Augment: Full Damage (+10d6) (+1 SP), Force Blast (+1 SP), Disintegrating Blast (+1 SP), Gather Energy (-1 SP)
Burst
Talents: Destruction, Extended Range, Explosive Orb, Selective Blast
Augment: Full Damage (+10d6) (+1 SP), Force Blast (+1 SP), Disintegrating Blast (+1 SP), Gather Energy (-1 SP), Better Selection (+1 SP), Wider Burst (+1 SP)
Saving Throw: Reflex DC 37; Half Damage
Attack of Opportunity
Melee Touch +28; 17-20/x2; 14d6 Bludgeoning Damage
Talents: Destruction, Energetic Response
Augment: Force Blast (+1 SP), Disintegrating Blast (+1 SP)

paradox26
2023-06-24, 12:23 AM
The varying attacks, most of them area-affecting, manage to blow the ants away with little difficulty. Silence descends once more, as you recover your breath. Now you just have to figure out how you want to get into the Well to rescue Shami-Amourae.

Gunhaven
2023-06-24, 12:42 AM
With the ants taken care of Ixen’Hesjing stops spewing forth the geyser, which in turn stops the freezing water eventually. With a sigh of relief he turns to the others and says ”Well that went well enough. Let’s see what they were guarding…” He then flaps on over, hovering over the icy terrain a few feet.

samduke
2023-06-24, 08:29 AM
Slayer/Sentinel

well that was nice and quick

Actions: walk over to the well and look around
Knowledge (Planes): [roll0]
Perception: [roll1]

paradox26
2023-06-26, 06:32 AM
There is a circular pit before you. It is inky dark within, but you can just make out that there are what appear to be withered trees filling most of the way down, making it difficult to simply fly down. It looks to be around a hundred feet deep, and the pit is about forty feet in diameter. The top third or so of the pit is clear, with the trees starting below that level.

Starmage21
2023-06-26, 08:06 AM
Jaxon approaches the pit, peering down into it.

"We should descend with caution. The pit was guarded, but that does not mean the danger has passed. What is within could be far deadlier than without. The protections I placed upon us would protect us from the environmental dangers of The Abyss, including that green vapor above, but not if the mantle is suppressed by anti-magic."

He concentrates a bit, closing his eyes and reaching out with magical senses for danger and environmental conditions.

Using the Cantrips (http://spheresofpower.wikidot.com/general-feats#toc9) feat to produce the equivalent of a Detect Magic and Read Magic type of effect. Particularly looking for magical dangers and anti-magic fields.

Warlawk
2023-06-26, 04:01 PM

Rysn was pleasantly surprised to see the swarm melt away as the company of heroes unleashed their magical wrath upon it. He approached the pit with the others, wincing slightly with the more shrill shrieks and howls then glanced down within, taking in the details. He coughed lightly, clearing the fetid air from his throat "Those trees will keep us from effectively flying during combat, but we should still be able to use magical flight to descend providing we move slowly and move carefully. I can enchant any who need it to allow them to fly down if needed." The elderly man turned his gaze on his companions in question then swept his cobalt eyes over the pit examining it for further magical energies in an attempt to discern any dangers that might be posed to the group. "I have to question the wisdom of simply strolling into a magical prison pit designed to hold beings of power that dwarf our own without any idea of how we would then get out, The One knows that swarm of ants could not have been the only deterrent keeping the prisoner from simply leaving."

Examine the pit with Analyze Dweomer from Eyes of the Hawkguard veil.

If it would be of any value, switch veil sets to make a Knowledge check, taking 10. Result of 49 for most, 50 for K Arcana then switch back to Veil Set 1.

Analyze Dweomer

You can observe magical auras. Each round, you may examine a single creature or object that you can see as a free action. In the case of a magic item, you learn its functions (including any curse effects), how to activate its functions (if appropriate), and how many charges are left (if it uses charges). In the case of an object or creature with active spells cast upon it, you learn each spell, its effect, and its caster level.

An attended object may attempt a Will save to resist this effect if its holder so desires. If the save succeeds, you learn nothing about the object except what you can discern by looking at it. An object that makes its save cannot be affected by any other analyze dweomer spells for 24 hours.

Analyze dweomer does not function when used on an artifact.

samduke
2023-06-26, 05:45 PM
Seems we may need to enter this and get to the bottom to find our missing demon

Gunhaven
2023-06-27, 01:15 AM
With a peek down the hole, Ixen’Hesjing mutters ”Ya know, the whole ‘grow large, have everyone hop on, and teleport about a quarter of a mile’ plan is still available.” He then absentmindedly adds on ”Probably would get stopped by some sort of barrier though. I can’t imagine they’d allow teleporting to happen in a prison designed to hold demigods.”

He then roots around a bit in his belongings before pulling out an opaque brown bottle and a lump of clay. He actually says to the others instead of muttering to himself ”I can make a homunculus to scout ahead. It’d probably get disabled if there was an anti-magic barrier or something, yeah?”

BelGareth
2023-06-29, 04:52 PM
"Agreed, if we don't have a plan on how to get out, our plan is basically make it up as we go."

immunity to fire
low-light vision
Immunity to dazzled

paradox26
2023-06-30, 03:17 AM
The branches look too tightly woven to fly through. It looks like you will have to climb.

The detect magic spell detects and abjuration effect.
The analyze dweomer effect reveals more, revealing that it is an antimagic field of great power.

samduke
2023-06-30, 08:24 AM
Slayer/Sentinel

we could jump together, I will cast feather fall on all of us

Actions: if everyone jumps together
Cast Feather Fall
Range close (25 ft. + 5 ft./2 levels)
Targets one Medium or smaller free-falling object or creature/level, no two of which may be more than 20 ft. apart
Duration until landing or 1 round/level

Spell Points 29/31: use 2 for the spell, I think I can get everyone with 1 casting

Warlawk
2023-07-01, 01:10 PM

Rysn was distracted examining the details of the spells holding together the prison pit and flinched slightly when Reiza's words sunk in "Ah, ahem, a Feather Fall would allow us to get down to the treeline but there is a powerful Anti Magic in place there and the landing could be a bit rough when the spell is suppressed. It seems we will have to physically climb down there." He glanced around the edges of the pit looking for any sort of ladder or at least irregularities in the pit wall that would better enable such a climb. "I ah, am not particularly good at climbing, to the point I fear that a fall would be inevitable if I tried it without a ladder or similar tool. Also, I worry deeply about our ability to climb back out, does anyone have any thoughts or suggestions?"

Gunhaven
2023-07-01, 01:26 PM
Ixen’Hesjing hums and says ”Ah yeah, I could probably manage it. A rope would be nice but that’s minor compared to the whole turning off all these neat items of ours.”

samduke
2023-07-01, 04:30 PM
while I have some rope as well, who is to say that some creature would not just come along and wither cut or out right take the rope, we are stuck with the same issue of how to get back up and that answer seems to be climb

BelGareth
2023-07-06, 11:23 AM
Somewhat annoyed at the flummoxing, Shakrat frowns and then sighs. "Very well then" he says as he begins to pull out spell regeants, oils, ungents, incense, and the like, creating a small ceremonial semi circle around him as he slowly knelt down, he groaned like an old man, but once he was down, he began reciting an extremely complex spell, his hands began the delicate somatic components, pulling at the weave golden strands of energy formed around him as he recited a prayer of power, the golden filaments of raw power formed a sphere of a miniature sun burning with the heaviness of power

"Oh great master, oh burning one, all things are incinerated in your gaze, I beseech you, grant us the power, insight, and ability to bypass this hurdle in our goal to rescue this prisoner."

Cast Miracle, burning 25k of my last wealth.

immunity to fire
low-light vision
Immunity to dazzled

Starmage21
2023-07-10, 09:01 AM
Jaxon looked around, taking note of his surroundings as he bore witness to the different styles of magician present in the current group.

Quite riveting, this one's style. He calls out to a deity to perform things for him in comparison to my own

"My own style is to prevent such obstacles from being woven as theyre created. I'm afraid I have nothing to circumvent such protections as these already in place. It has always been a teaching where I come from to not rely entirely on magical solutions specifically for reasons such as this. That said, I'm hopeful that The Burning Hate will help us here. I'll keep watch while you prepare your ritual. We are still within The Abyss, after all."

paradox26
2023-07-12, 10:29 PM
Shakrat goes to cast his spell. But suddenly a burning light fills his eyes, and all he can see is the image of a rope. The spell doesn't go off, and the gemstone remains present, not having gone off and disappeared like it would if the spell had been successfully cast. It is as if the Burning One didn't want to waste the spell on such an obvious choice of action.

BelGareth
2023-07-13, 12:15 PM
Shakrat's eyes go wide, and then he narrows his eyes and sigh.s "A rope? Fine then, a rope it must be" he says grumbling as he gets up awkwardly. He looks around to everyone, "who's got a rope?"

Well, now we know. Lets get down there!

immunity to fire
low-light vision
Immunity to dazzled

Warlawk
2023-07-13, 06:30 PM

Rysn chuckled quietly, slowly shaking his head and stroking his beard. Amusement tinged his voice "The One has quite a sense of humor." With a slight nod of his head toward the sky, ceiling or whatever happens to lie above he commented under his breath "Many thanks for the generosity of the Burning One." He then turned to the others with a half smile "I believe Reiza mentioned having rope though I question my own ability to climb down and worry that without magical assistance falling would be a matter of time rather than a possibility. Perhaps one of the stronger of us would be willing to lower those of us who need the assistance?"

Gunhaven
2023-07-13, 08:54 PM
Ixen’Hesjing gave a nod at the suggestion. He volunteered himself with a ”I can take care of it. I suggest those who aren’t confident in their climbing tie themselves to the rope. I’ll stay up here and insure the rope doesn’t come loose or get cut by an ant or whatever.” To further hammer home the point that weight is inconsequential for him he grows to large size and plops down 10 feet from the edge.

Using Juggernaut Pauldrons to grow to large size. My light load now ends at 1596 pounds.

paradox26
2023-07-15, 01:31 AM
As the group starts to tentatively descend into the darkness, You see movement below. Four creatures start climbing upwards from hollows dug into the sides of the pit. They are four armed creatures that look like girallons, but they are huge in size, and look more demonic. They climb to within a short distance, and the leader gestures at the group. "The succubi offer us favours to be permitted to descend here. Will you offer us similar favours for passage?" it asks. You can only imagine what sort of favours the comely succubi offer, and the thought makes you blanch.

Gunhaven
2023-07-15, 06:23 AM
Calling down, assuming that others relay the message or otherwise inform him, Ixen’Hesjing bellows out a joyful ”Hail friends, I have drinks up here! Sake and ale for the thirsty!” He tries to stay just loud enough to be heard, or just a tad louder, versus informing the entire plane he’s got booze for all.

samduke
2023-07-17, 05:39 PM
Slayer/Sentinel

Let us avoid these guys if possible but that tree down there is not so soft

EDITED
Gm allowed action to be removed
[roll0]
[roll1]
[roll2]
[roll3]
[roll4]
[roll5]
[roll6]
[roll7]

Starmage21
2023-07-24, 08:13 AM
Jaxon begins carefully climbing down the rope when he feels the Anti-Magic Field wash over him, sending cold chills down his spine as his spell-mantles were suppressed. The tension in his neck built as he had no magic to rely on, and to which he'd become extremely accustomed. As the native tribe climbed to meet, he met the leader's gaze as the hairy monster spoke.

"We're not interested in offering the same favors that the succubae might, but we can consider an exchange. Name your price for allowing us safe passage, so that we may consider it?"

paradox26
2023-07-26, 03:46 AM
"That is all the payment we will accept. We like what the succubi offer us, and that is all we will take. We have few other needs out here," the leader of the Gorralons says. The creatures start moving closer, and start to look more aggressive.

samduke
2023-07-26, 06:29 AM
"That is all the payment we will accept. We like what the succubi offer us, and that is all we will take. We have few other needs out here," the leader of the Gorralons says. The creatures start moving closer, and start to look more aggressive.

Slayer/Sentinel

I do not like the looks of this

Actions: casts feather fall, picks a nice soft looking branch to jump into just in case the spell does not come back to life before impact.

JUMP - Acrobatics (1d20+33)[52] - rolled ooc

paradox26
2023-07-27, 07:14 AM
Reiza falls through the tree branches like a leaf on the wind, avoiding every branch, and landing in an inky black liquid. SHe can feel her magical powers returning, which is the good news, as she must have gotten beneath the antimagic field.

The bad news is that a creature stands on the roots of the trees, watching Reiza. The other good news is that it isn't moving to attack, it just watches. The creature looks like a demonic Retriever, with a massive spidery body. It is three times the height of a human, and its forelimbs end in massive cleavers. It has four malevolent eyes bulging from its carapace.

Starmage21
2023-07-27, 07:46 AM
Jaxon frowns as he continues his descent down the rope carefully, but he is careful to maintain a facial expression that does not betray any sort of fear or doubt.

"Perhaps we should discuss the exact nature of the favors granted to you by the succubus. I'm sure we can come to an amicable solution if you are willing to negotiate. We are a group of adventurers and are on a mission from a powerful sponsor. We have many resources at our disposal; the least of which is our capacity for violence."

I am attempting to determine what the girallons want or will accept from us that will allow us to pass without a fight. Jaxon has a trait that lets him use INT instead of CHA on diplomacy, so I'm trying to create a barter situation.

Diplomacy = 21 ranks, + 12 INT with no magic
[roll0]

samduke
2023-07-27, 10:28 AM
Reiza falls through the tree branches like a leaf on the wind, avoiding every branch, and landing in an inky black liquid. SHe can feel her magical powers returning, which is the good news, as she must have gotten beneath the antimagic field.

The bad news is that a creature stands on the roots of the trees, watching Reiza. The other good news is that it isn't moving to attack, it just watches. The creature looks like a demonic Retriever, with a massive spidery body. It is three times the height of a human, and its forelimbs end in massive cleavers. It has four malevolent eyes bulging from its carapace.

Slayer/Sentinel

Magic is working, Watch out for ugly down here guys

Actions: Draw shield, sword was already out
(Studied Target: Demonic Retriever
(Challege Target: Demonic Retriever

BelGareth
2023-07-27, 10:28 AM
Shakrat frowns at the whole thing, and taps his staff once on the floor activate a spell stored within, and then steps off into the well.

Cast Levitate from staff of power using 1 charge, then stepping off, so hopefully, the levitation should take over once the AMF is passed through.

immunity to fire
low-light vision
Immunity to dazzled

Gunhaven
2023-07-28, 12:24 AM
Ixen'Hesjing continues to remain perched on the edge of the well, rope nearby in case something happens to it or his comrades. It doesn't appear the monkeys are alcoholics either so maybe no one in the abyss drinks, which just sounds awful. Instead it sounds like they wanna fight and his comrades have started to just jump and hope for the best. He opts to maintain his position until everyone gets past the gatekeepers, getting out a vial of aligned liquid just in case things do go south.

paradox26
2023-07-28, 04:53 AM
The lead gorralon replies with a leer, "The succubi offer physical companionship. They are comelier than you lot, but you aren't too bad. That is all we will settle for. Our other needs are already being met here. And if you keep climbing down the pit without giving us what we want, then we will eat you instead, after doing what we please with your dead bodies."

Warlawk
2023-07-28, 11:20 AM

Moment of Prescience, Overland Flight, Foresight, Resist Acid 30

Rysn grimaced in distaste at the strange beings words "While The One welcomes all experiences, that is not one that I am willing to bear personally." Gently floating off the ground he shook his head at the impulsive leap taken by others and prepared to support them from above if possible or descend into the tangled canopy if required.

Starmage21
2023-08-03, 10:14 AM
Jaxon's face goes a bit pale, and his arms shaky as he pictured the kinds of services the Girallon(s) are demanding. Suddenly his grip on the rope slips and he falls, arms waving as he tries to grasp the rope again on the way down. Tumbling through multiple branches, bouncing off of several stronger-thicker branches as he slams on the ground, landing flat on his back. A deep gasp as the air is knocked out of him, and a slow controlled wheeze as he knows better than to try quickly draw in new air after getting winded.
Carefully Jaxon rises to his feet, leaning a bit on his staff as he readies to combat the tribe of sexually frustrated four-armed monkeys about to fly into a rage. A light from the red gem atop Jaxon's staff glows brightly for a moment before fading. The outlines of Jaxon's form blur slightly before sharpening as if a camera pointed at him was momentarily out of phase.

Move Action
Intentional Fall, even if I described it differently.
Acrobatics WITHOUT MAGIC [roll0]
Possible Fall Damage [roll1]
Stand Up

Standard Action
Spend 2 Spell Points to cast Temporal Blur with the Mass enhancement. Anyone else within range as of Jaxon's initiative will also receive the effects:
50% Miss Chance for 21 minutes.

Max Spell Points: 120
Current Spell Points: 118
New Current: 116

Gunhaven
2023-08-04, 07:34 AM
Ixen’Hesjing sighs as things go south. More to himself he mutters ”What happens after the drinks flow doesn’t count anyway.” He makes sure the rope is secure and then gently glides down to just above the anti magic zone. He locks eyes with the closest Girallion and chucks a bottle at it before casually flying away again.
Swift:Enter Dynamite Throwing Form stance.
Move: Fly speed of 130ft to hopefully just do a flyby attack.
Standard: Not messing with Trinity Strike, just gonna do a Bottled Lightning against one of the monkeys. Range is 30’ and I didn’t bother with factoring in Throw Anything. Eldritch Infuser lets me apply Fire Blast to my Formulae and Confusion Bomb applies to my Formulae.
Attack: [roll0]
Damage: [roll1] Electricity* + [roll2] Thunder*

If I hit their normal AC then an additional [roll3] Bludgeoning damage, assuming I don’t add any of my extra nonsense for my unarmed strike.

If that other nonsense applies then: [roll4] extra Bludgeoning damage, [roll5] Fire Damage*, and [roll6] damage to myself.

Confusion Bomb: Will DC 22**, lasts 18 rounds

Fire Blast: Reflex DC 34 or catch on fire and take [roll7] Damage*

*If Fire Blast applies and Circlet of Brass applies then add another 18 damage to all fire damage rolls and increase the save DC by 9.

Also Crown of Elemental Mastery would reduce Fire Resistance by 45, stacking, and treating immunity as Resist 50.

**If using Intelligence instead of Wisdom, which is my casting stat. If using Wisdom then instead add 10 to the DC. If it doesn’t apply for whatever reason then add an extra [roll8] Electricity damage.

It’s really a hot mess.

paradox26
2023-08-05, 01:54 AM
The gorallons go wild as some go flying down past them to ground level, and another throws a bomb at them. They leap to the attack, being careful to stay within the antimagic field, which ends just above head height at ground level.

Roll initiatives please, if you haven't already. Also, note that the gorallons are within the antimagic field, so the crown of elemental mastery, for example, wouldn't affect them.

Warlawk
2023-08-07, 12:34 AM

Rysn released a deep frustrated sigh as he drifted downward into the thick canopy of branches "One preserve me from this madness".

Acrobatics [roll0]

If my understanding is correct, my Overland Flight would be suppressed through the AMZ and branches but be active again when I get out of the AMZ down below, so there shouldn't be fall damage per se, just any damage from the branches.

paradox26
2023-08-09, 09:47 AM
OOC: Call the fall damage through the branches 5d6, or half what a full fall would deal you.

samduke
2023-08-13, 06:59 AM
Reiza Duneknight (https://www.myth-weavers.com/sheets/?id=2734193
Slayer/Sentinel
[B]AC 48, Touch 25, Flat-footed 39

Everyone okay, watch out for the monkeys above

Round 1?
If I am close enough to the Demonic Retriever full attack, otherwise move 30ft into melee and only use the 1st attack/damage I rolled

Target <<Demonic Retriever>>

True Sight active
Find Gap: treat their AC as 1 lower than it actually is for 12 rounds
Studied Target, Improved Quarry, Guardian Challenge
Hunter’s Surprise: Add sneak attack damage to all attacks made against one target
Vicious Study: Double the critical threat range of any weapon attacks made against a studied target
Blood Reader: Know remaining hit points of studied opponent

Full Attack
+6 enh (+7) Bastard Sword
1:
2:[roll1] > Threat Crit
3:[roll2] > Crit
4:[roll3] > Crit

+5 Mithral Heavy Spiked Steel Shield
1:[roll4]
2:[roll5]
3:[roll6]
4:[roll7] > Crit

Confirm Criticals <seems I forgot to add the target modifiers here add +15 to each>
+6 enh (+7) Bastard Sword 17-20x3
1:[roll8] 43>58
2:[roll9] 33>48
3:[roll10] 32>47
4:[roll11] 29>44

+5 Mithral Heavy Spiked Steel Shield 19-20x2
1:[roll12] 42>57
2:[roll13] 30>45
3:[roll14] 32>47
4:[roll15] 35>50

Damage
+6 enh (+7) Bastard Sword
1:[roll16], Sneak Attack [roll17]
2:[roll18], Sneak Attack [roll19]
3:[roll20], Sneak Attack [roll21]
4:[roll22], Sneak Attack [roll23]

+5 Mithral Heavy Spiked Steel Shield
1:[roll]2d6+25 , Sneak Attack
2:[roll]2d6+25 , Sneak Attack
3:[roll]2d6+25 , Sneak Attack
4:[roll]2d6+25 , Sneak Attack [roll27]

Rolled OOC
1:(2d6+25)[34]
2:(2d6+25)[32]
3:(2d6+25)[31]
4:(2d6+25)[31]

EDITED

paradox26
2023-08-20, 11:52 PM
The retriever falls dead, torn to pieces by the flurry of attacks.

Gunhaven
2023-08-21, 03:59 AM
With a shrug of his haunches, Ixen'Hesjing makes another bombing run on the monkeys. If they're not going to make the effort to approach him then he'll just continue to lob bombs in their general direction.

Another casual toss since they're just staying in the zone and AFAIK Bottled Lightning isn't magical or anything.
Swift: Dynamite Throwing Form Stance
Move: Just gonna keep vibing above them honestly.
Standard: YEET
Using Battering Blast to change the damage type (and dice), which also specifically states it works in antimagic fields.
[roll]9d6+1d4+22 Bludgeoning damage [53 Damage]

I get a bull rush attempt, which deals an extra 1d6+1d6 per 5ft they'd move. The creature and the object also take damage from Hammer based on how big they are and how far they'd move from Brute's Hammer. I'm also getting a +5 from Brute's Greater Brute. Finally they'd trigger at attack of opportunity from my allies, but I think everyone else is down on the ground.

Bull Rush Attempt: [roll1]

If my attack hits their regular AC they take my unarmed strike damage: [roll2]

Finally a Will DC 22 versus Confusion for 18 rounds.

samduke
2023-08-21, 06:42 AM
Reiza Duneknight (https://www.myth-weavers.com/sheets/?id=2734193)
Slayer/Sentinel

We need them down here

Looking up at the monkeys after the death of the spider, speaking...

Action: declare "gorallon(s)" as Studied Target, Challeneged Target
Move close to where the gorallon(s) are without entering the AMZ

paradox26
2023-08-24, 05:33 AM
The bomb kills one of the gorallons, but they are pretty spread out. One climbs upward to the top of the AMZ, from where it can launch and attack on the bomb thrower who had killed its comrade.

Gunhaven
2023-08-26, 08:33 AM
With a chuckle, Ixen'Hesjing calls down to the gorallions left "You guys really want to play?" He perches on the edge, gets out a brush, and proceeds to casually flick some paint at the gorallions which then turns into a hail of stones to crash into them. Maybe they'd fall down to his allies, maybe the battering would be enough to convince them to leave the AMZ, maybe he'd just sit up here bullying them for a minute. Attack finished he calls out again "Could've just done things the easy way."

Hey let's try casting a spell for funsies.
Move: Get to the edge of the pit and poke my head over it so I can still see the monkeys.
Standard: Destruction's (1SP for full CL damage) Blast Salvo (Type, 1SP to launch 6 salvos) + Battering Blast (Shape). Each Salvo is a ranged touch attack, like with Scorching Ray.

Skilled Casting Drawback: [roll0] vs DC 37, for every 2 below the DC it's done at -1CL.

Attack: [roll1]
Damage: [roll2] Mundane Bludgeoning Damage
Bull Rush Attempt: [roll3]

Attack: [roll4]
Damage: [roll5] Mundane Bludgeoning Damage (Just in case the CL is less than 22)
Bull Rush Attempt: [roll6]

Attack: [roll7]
Damage: [roll8] Mundane Bludgeoning Damage (Just in case the CL is less than 22)
Bull Rush Attempt: [roll9]

Attack: [roll10]
Damage: [roll11] Mundane Bludgeoning Damage
Bull Rush Attempt: [roll12]

Attack: [roll13]
Damage: [roll14] Mundane Bludgeoning Damage
Bull Rush Attempt: [roll15]

Attack: [roll16]
Damage: [roll17] Mundane Bludgeoning Damage
Bull Rush Attempt: [roll18]

They also potentially take more damage from the whole slamming into tree branches and junk. Each salvo only bull rushes once at least, versus slamming some poor sap into the branch a bunch of times.

Warlawk
2023-08-27, 09:20 PM

Sprinter's Boots: +2 Initiative

Rysn bounced flailing gracelessly through the tree branches, emerging into the open air bruised, battered and scraped. He brushed broken twigs from his hair and beard as he quickly assessed the situation. Scowling at the clever abominations he refocused his energies quickly and then unleashed a barrage of raw force at the tree trunks since the enemy still lurked in the safety of the anti magic zone.

swift action to remove 7 essence from Sprinter's Boots and invest it in Riven Darts.
Standard action to attack the trunks of up to 4 trees (2 darts each dealing 8d4 force damage per dart), targeting those that the enemy are in.

Touch attack vs tree [roll0] dealing [roll1] Force damage. Second dart [roll2] dealing [roll3] Force damage. 46 damage assuming both hit.
Touch attack vs tree [roll4] dealing [roll5] Force damage. Second dart [roll6] dealing [roll7] Force damage. 44 damage assuming both hit.
Touch attack vs tree [roll8] dealing [roll9] Force damage. Second dart [roll10] dealing [roll11] Force damage. 46 damage assuming both hit.
Touch attack vs tree [roll12] dealing [roll13] Force damage. Second dart [roll14] dealing [roll15] Force damage. 49 damage assuming both hit.

paradox26
2023-08-28, 06:00 AM
The trees take damage, but they are hardy things, and they are so tightly packed that even taking down the trunks will likely leave the upper parts stuffed together against the walls of the pit.

The bullets rain down, but the gorralons have a significant amount of protective cover from the branches.

Roll to see if the gorralons are hit by the missiles. 90% cover, so a roll of 10 will be needed to hit them.
[roll0] attack 1
[roll1] attack 2
[roll2] attack 3
[roll3] attack 4
[roll4] attack 5
[roll5] attack 6

Starmage21
2023-08-30, 12:05 PM
Jaxon maintained his defensive position, holding his ruby-tipped staff in front of him. He peered around looking for ways to assist his allies as the Anti-Magic Field hindered all direct methods of attack when it struck him. "If the Girallon choose to remain in the trees safely within the Anti-Magic Field, I will just have to remove that as an option!" he thought to himself.
Jaxon's eyes focused on the bases of several nearby trees that had members of the enemy tribe in their branches. A sickly green glow gathered about the red spherical gemstone atop Jaxon's Sentinel Staff and he began chanting. Moments later the green glow focused into a compressed ray of green light that lanced the base of the trees Jaxon was focusing on. The bases of those trees instantly became dust, disintegrating into a cloud that didn't have the time to settle into a pile before the trees came crashing down.
The enemy Girallons came with the remainder of the disintegrated trees, slamming into the ground directly, or into the settling mass of crashed trees.

Move Action: Gather Energy (-1 SP)
Standard Action: Disintegrating Blast (1 SP; +1 SP Explosive Orb)
Because the attack is against objects, damage is not rolled. The trees within the 20ft radius sphere are simply disintegrated. The intention here is to generate fall damage on the girallons.

Current Spell Points: 116
New Current: 114

Currently affected by:
Temporal Blur 50% Miss Chance for 21 Minutes
Planar Protection for 21 Hours
Mystic Shell for 21 Hours (4 layers left)

paradox26
2023-08-31, 11:15 PM
The bases of the trees disappear, but the tree branches are so tightly compacted against each other and against the walls of the pit that they only drop about ten feet, shaking the gorralons but not making them fall out of the branches.

samduke
2023-09-09, 06:21 AM
Slayer/Sentinel
[AC 48, Touch 25, Flat-footed 39

Here toss some oil up on the tree then a torch to burn them out !,

Actions: hand out 4 oil to party and throw 2 oil - If lit, the oil burns for 2 rounds and deals 1d3 points of fire
presumed improvised weapon vs, tree ac
[roll0] -4 for improvised weapon
[roll1] -4 for improvised weapon
confirm crit
[roll2] -4 for improvised weapon
[roll3] -4 for improvised weapon
damage
[roll4] Fire
[roll5] Fire

toss torch into oil on tree
[roll6] -4 for improvised weapon
confirm crit
[roll7] -4 for improvised weapon
damage
1 Fire

paradox26
2023-10-10, 05:59 AM
The trees catch fire, but they are so tough and old that they are like setting fire to ironwood. They smoulder and slowly burn, but soon the flames are roaring, with the help of the oil, and it will only take a few minutes for them to burn through enough to drop through safely.

Starmage21
2023-10-23, 08:55 AM
Jaxon admires to himself Reiza's efficient use of fire and quick thinking to help bring down the trees. Taking note of the trees likely trajectories as they burn, he phases instantly out of existence and back in again elsewhere without moving a muscle. His new position now optimal for not being caught in the burning debris and falling trees, and a well enough position for launching an attack.

His staff begins to glow as he concentrates, waiting for the right moment to unleash a blast of force.

Swift Action: Shift up to 200ft to a better position.
Ready Action: Cast Selective Destructive Sphere on Girallons that fall from the burning trees.

Current Spell Points: 114

Currently affected by:

paradox26
2023-10-25, 04:54 AM
The gorallons shriek in panic and rage. They start to flee the trees, but rather than leaving the anti magic field, they head for the safety of nooks carved into the rocky walls. The nooks look like where the gorallons must live, and are fairly deep in appearance, from what you can tell. On the negative side, this means that the gorallons are unlikely to be affected by the burning trees. But on the positive side, the way is now clear for the party to go up and down into the pit. Though because of the anti magic zone, you will need a way to get out of the pit without magic. However, a teleport spell will probably do the trick.

samduke
2023-10-26, 09:03 AM
Ignoring the gorallons as they do not seem to want to come down Reiza looks around to determine where the best way to go is.

Perception: [roll0]

Sense motive: on the gorallons to see if they act like they will follow [roll1]

paradox26
2023-11-24, 02:28 AM
The gorallons don't appear to have any intentions of leaving their nooks. It appears the battle is over, and you can progress.

Powgow
2023-11-26, 07:59 AM
As the tree branches above crumble and the Gorallons retreat in response, a winged figure lands on a platform leading deeper into the pit. Despite - or because - the chaos, she has a somewhat disappointed expression before shrugging and turning her attention to the Abyss downwards.

"Should have taken the opportunity of physical tusling earlier. Wrestling sounds more exciting than whatever it is they're doing right now. Oh well."

She dejectedly clicks her tongue before nimbly jumping to another platform below, her wings allowing her to glide effortlessly. You get the impression that she could race to the bottom in a hurry, but doing this out of perhaps a misguided sense of camaraderie.

Perhaps she was in the crowd sent by the Succubus Queen, but then again, she might not. Any gap in the memory can be explained by the Abyss playing tricks inside the mind.

"Any of youse need a hand getting down?"

Demonic features aside, at least she doesn't seem to be hostile.

Alrunes' wings are a result of the Alteration sphere, but it was duration: instantaneous, so it should remain in an AMF the same way as animated undead do.

Ason
2023-11-27, 02:17 AM
A second winged woman sneers at the disappearing gorallons. "Filthy creatures," she mutters.

"Caution says we hurry to regroup below. I may fly another down, if necessary." She stows hear sword and shield and extends a hand to the party. She then carries down the first non-winged ally who accepts her offer or flies down alone if none do. Her raven-shaped familiar follows her down.

Once at the bottom, she silently nods her approval to Reiza and Jaxon's in observation of their handiwork, followed by raising an eyebrow at them and then looking around as if to ask, "Where next?"

I think Jaxon and Reiza are already at the bottom of the pit, so with Alrunes and Aspexia flying and having good Str scores, we two should be able to fly the other 2 newcomers if need be.

Aspexia cast these at the start of the adventuring day, which should all last 21 hours

On the whole party: Mass Planar Adaptation: ignore planar effects, resist fire 30 (I'd cast others on people, but I don't know who needs what. Requests are encouraged)

I vaguely recall someone already cast a similar buff spell on the party, but I figure an extra layer of planar protection in case of dispel attempts plus the resist fire 30 couldn't hurt.

On herself only:

Greater Magic Weapon: +5 to sword
Magic Vestment x2: +5 to armor, +5 to shield
Divine Power (Enduring, to 24 hours): +6 atk / dmg / str checks (add to rolls), +21 temp hp, +1 extra attack ala haste
Death Ward (Enduring, to 24 hours): +4 v death effects, immune energy drain & neg. energy
Delay Pain: ignore pain effects (e.g. symbol of pain)
Delay Poison: immunity to poison
Seer's Bane (Extend, to 42 hours): nondetection + DC 36 caster check to avoid 10d6 dmg if divined

samduke
2023-11-27, 08:41 AM
Reiza looks around to determine where the best way to go is.
Perception: [roll0]

While waiting on the rest of the party to descend, Reiza cleans her blade and sheaths it away. then in response to Aspexia

Slayer/Sentinel
Conditions: Mass Planar Adaptation: ignore planar effects, resist fire 30, True Sight active
Spell Points 29/31

Well the one we are after is down here somewhere just need to look, but watch out there are probably more of those uglies down here. pointing to the dead demonic retriever

Starmage21
2023-11-27, 10:05 AM
Jaxon stands up straight, abandoning his wide and steady stance for a slight lean on his ruby-tipped staff. He looks to the others, nodding to each in acknowledgement to their presence and aid.

"We are in The Abyss. Demons are among its natural inhabitants. Fortunately, the stupid or unlucky ones remain low rank and will thus not be a hindrance except in rare circumstances. Even the Girallon above are wise enough not to pursue beyond the Anti-Magic Field which grants them such advantage."

Jaxon introduces himself to the others

"I am The Archwizard Jaxon Inegar, and I welcome you if you say you are friends or share our mission."

Currently affected by:

Da'Shain
2023-11-27, 10:54 PM
An ashen-skinned drow floats after Alrunes and Aspexia, pausing at the edge of the field of antimagic the others had discovered with a sniff. After the two winged women have descended to the ground beyond, she appears to step sideways in the air, vanishing midstep and reappearing to finish her stride at Aspexia's side, her shimmering black kimono barely rustling at the motion, her feet hovering above the black muck. As she brushes an imaginary fleck of dust off her shoulder, she takes a moment to study the demon corpse nearby before turning her attention to the other adventurers.

"Ezhekianth Flymathin, but in the interest of brevity you may refer to me as Kia," she responds coolly to Jaxon's introduction. "We may require a more secure means of communication and aid before this is done, however." Everyone feels a mental invitation, but with the sense of a knock at the door rather than an intruding guest. Allow me to join us together, that we might conquer this detestable place with less incident.

Kia is in God of the Hourglass Stance (https://www.d20pfsrd.com/alternative-rule-systems/path-of-war/disciplines-and-maneuvers/Riven-Hourglass-maneuvers/#TOC-God-of-the-Hourglass-Stance). She has cast Flight (http://spheresofpower.wikidot.com/telekinesis#toc14) on herself for the day (95 ft fly (perfect), lasting 26 hours), and is thus at 44/45 spell points. She will cast this on anyone else who wants it. Anyone (EDIT: any Ally) within 30 feet of her has a +1 luck bonus on saves, skills, attacks, and ability checks (Aura of Gold epic feat), and has any fear, confusion, or rage effects suppressed (http://spheresofpower.wikidot.com/charms#toc48). She has True Sight (http://spheresofpower.wikidot.com/scout#toc40) (Ex) within 120 feet.

Swift action to initiate Proof of Victory (https://libraryofmetzofitz.fandom.com/wiki/Proof_of_Victory), emulating Reunion in Dreams (https://libraryofmetzofitz.fandom.com/wiki/Reunion_in_Dreams) and expending her Psicrystal's focus to teleport herself next to an ally, in this case Aspexia. She may also teleport another ally next to her, if Maraleon prefers that to the indignity of being carried down :smallbiggrin:. Her Psicrytal uses its full-round action to regain psionic focus.
Move action to Aid Another herself, granting herself a +9 bonus on Knowledge (Planes) checks and recovering the maneuver she just expended, also granting everyone a +5 morale bonus to attack rolls that lasts 3 rounds (not that we're fighting right now).
Standard action to induct anyone here who's willing into her Collective, which would allow everyone to communicate telepathically as well as allowing her to protect everyone much more easily. Among other things, she could do what she just did to allow any member to teleport to each other across any distance, barring teleportation-blocking effects, basically at will. (I assume everyone is willing, but just let us know if you're not.)
Extra standard action (or whatever action it takes) to roll Knowledge (Planes) on the dead Demonic Retriever: [roll0], out of curiosity.

paradox26
2023-11-28, 04:35 AM
Ezhekianth learns a lot about the demonic retriever, which is a rare but well known abyssal creature. You can look up the Retriever entry to learn all about them. This one is a slight variant though, that is slightly different from the standard, but you wouldn't know the details.

At the bottom of the pit, you find yourselves standing on the banks of an inky black pool. You have all landed where the tree roots are, for safety and caution. But you can step out into the pool if you like, though there is no telling how deep it is.

samduke
2023-11-28, 09:28 AM
Ezhekianth learns a lot about the demonic retriever, which is a rare but well known abyssal creature. You can look up the Retriever entry to learn all about them. This one is a slight variant though, that is slightly different from the standard, but you wouldn't know the details.

At the bottom of the pit, you find yourselves standing on the banks of an inky black pool. You have all landed where the tree roots are, for safety and caution. But you can step out into the pool if you like, though there is no telling how deep it is.

Reiza accepts the spell Flight and Collective

Flying out 95ft , 10ft above the water, looking around and into the water in an effort to see what she can.

Slayer/Sentinel
Senses: Perception:35, Low Light, Darkvision 60ft, True Sight 120ft
Conditions: Mass Planar Adaptation: ignore planar effects, resist fire 30, Collective, Flight for the day (95 ft fly (perfect), lasting 26 hours),
Spell Points 29/31

well let us see where this pool extends to and if we will need to swim.

Perception:[roll0]
Stealth:[roll1]

Powgow
2023-11-29, 07:10 AM
"Mission is a bit too formal. I've never been round here, so I decided to tag along." Alrunes said after they descended into the tree roots. She stopped at the edge of the banks, her expression mirroring her curiosity.

"Oooh, wait, I think I've heard of this one before..."

She didn't resist the attempt to establish a non-hostile connection to her mind, though it offered nothing but the sense of wonder she displayed. Small wonders.

Using a standard action to use Pageant of the Peacock to replace her Knowledge (Planes) modifier to Bluff with a +4 circumstance bonus.

[roll0]

Starmage21
2023-11-29, 09:53 AM
Jaxon nods, carefully accepting the mental contact after evaluating the risks to his own mental fortress. He raps his staff on the ground twice, its protective metal covering striking stone with a distinctive ring against the roots of the trees.

"Our next order of business is to search this place for where Shami-Amourae has chosen to reside. Not every prison is constructed of metal bars and stone blocks. Here every well is a prison, and some prisons allow a lot more freedom of movement than others. This one in particular does not look particularly restrictive, unless we desire to leave via means which do not tear the boundaries between planes asunder."

"We should consider divination before we continue on foot. We can also hope that she's strong enough that she may have just heard her name spoken, no matter where she is in this well."

Jaxon pauses for a moment

"Opinions on how to proceed?"

Currently affected by:

Da'Shain
2023-11-29, 05:55 PM
"It seems a poor idea to venture into that without further information, yes," Kia agrees with Jaxon, sticking to verbal communication as most people were usually more comfortable with that at first. She peers across the surface of the pool curiously. "If this is a prison, there must be more to it than meets the eye." Her gaze takes on a slightly more intense look as a portion of the black liquid seems to rise up on its own before them, shaped into what seems to be a cube in midair. "I will test this water, but I lack the finer information-gathering tools some of you might possess; if any of you notice anything, please chime in."

https://i.pinimg.com/564x/71/bf/88/71bf88267755e6c986a973a032ff0381.jpg
"Kia" Flymathin (https://www.myth-weavers.com/sheets/?id=2850882)
Zealot 21 // Symbiat 20/Incanter 1
AC 50, Touch 42, Flat-footed 41
HP 402/402; Init +10; SR 27
Speed 90 ft, fly 155 (perfect)
Senses Perception +59, Low-Light, True Sight 120 ft
Spell Points 43/45; Power Points 212/212
Current Stance God of the Hourglass Stance (https://www.d20pfsrd.com/alternative-rule-systems/path-of-war/disciplines-and-maneuvers/Riven-Hourglass-maneuvers/#TOC-God-of-the-Hourglass-Stance)
Conditions Mass Planar Adaptation: ignore planar effects, resist fire 30, Flight (http://spheresofpower.wikidot.com/telekinesis#toc14) CL 26
Auras Aura of Gold 30 ft (+1 luck atk/save/skill/ability checks), Serene Tattoo (http://spheresofpower.wikidot.com/charms#toc48) 20 ft (suppresses any confusion, fear or rage effect)

Kia will attempt to suss out if there is anything other than what is obvious in the portion of the pit where they are (any secret buttons/levers, any markings in Abyssal or otherwise, any clues to point to what manner of prison this is or what it does). Perception:[roll0]. (She also has 120 ft True Sight in case of illusions)

If nothing jumps out at her, then:

Kia uses Telekinetic Tools (http://spheresofpower.wikidot.com/telekinesis#toc38) to create a 5-foot cube box with an open top under the water 20 feet away, out of pure telekinetic force, then lifts it 10 feet above the surface, lifting the water inside with it. If nothing happens, she moves the water over by the Demonic Retriever's corpse and drops a bit of the water on it, looking for a reaction. If nothing happens still, she drops some of the water on a tree root; if again nothing happens still, she allows the water to fall back into the pool. At no point does she bring the water closer to the party than 20 feet away.

Ason
2023-11-29, 08:18 PM
The winged woman nods her head. "Aspexia," she says aloud with a hand on her heart and the slightest bow of her head. Accepting the telepathic link, she adds mentally to the others. "The Abyss wishes to battle itself, and I am glad to help it do so."

"And yes, I am for caution too in this uncharted region. I shall see what we can learn." At that, she scratches her 'raven' familiar under his beak to get his attention, says something unintelligible to him, and then casts a spell that causes her eyes to glow mildly blue. The bird's eyes soon mirror hers, and the bird seems to whisper something back to her. Both woman and bird stare at the inky pool.

Using speak with master to talk with her familiar. Both her and her imp use detect magic (https://aonprd.com/SpellDisplay.aspx?ItemName=detect%20magic) to check the inky pool for magical effects.

Aspexia's Knowledge (arcana) for detect magic: [roll0]

Familiar's Knowledge (arcana) for detect magic: [roll1]

paradox26
2023-12-03, 02:15 AM
Looking down into the pool, you can see the figure of a succubus with pale skin, long golden hair, and slowly fluttering bat wings. She appears to have some sort of green jewelled necklace around her throat, and the remnants of a fine robe on her body.

The attempt to pick up the water in a telekinetic box does nothing. The spell simply fails to affect the water. There do not appear to be any switches or levers, not any Abyssal writing, or writing of any other kind, for that matter.

Alrunes, considering what they know of the Planes, comes up with a possibility. The prisons, you recall, were built by Ahazu the Seizer, a missing demon lord. This plane was not always a prison, it was once a fortress layer. If anyone might know how to break Shami-Amourae out of the prison it might be him. If you can find him. RUmour has it that he might actually be imprisoned inside one of his own cells.

Of course, you could always try to make direct contact with Shami-Amourae through the pool. Nothing dangerous seems to be lurking in the water, as best you can tell.

samduke
2023-12-03, 09:05 AM
Slayer/Sentinel
Senses: Perception:35, Low Light, Darkvision 60ft, True Sight 120ft
Conditions: Mass Planar Adaptation: ignore planar effects, resist fire 30, Collective, Flight for the day (95 ft fly (perfect), lasting 26 hours),
Spell Points 29/31

well it seems we may have found her under this liquid, but I do not think we should touch or enter it just yet.

Powgow
2023-12-04, 05:34 AM
"Oooh, I remember now! Ahazu the Seizer! Ahazu the Snatcher! The Once-Lord of this place." Alrunes' voice was giddy as if remembering an obscure trivia for a game night at the tavern. "Well, everyone says he's the Once-Lord, but everyone else says he's still the Lord. It's all a bit confusing."

She never found him around here, at least. The heyday of The Abductor was a bit behind her times.

"-The problem is, no one's seen him around for a bit. Rumour says he's also in one these shadow prison things as well, trapped, but no one could say for sure." Alrunes started to take a look around the place for anything interesting as she said that, "Bit ironic, 'innit?"

"If anyone knows how to free mother, he's the one."

She added that last bit without any fanfare.

Perception: [roll0] for anything of interest around her.

+1 from the Aura of Gold.

Starmage21
2023-12-04, 09:44 AM
Juste ***** his head to the side.

"Well he knows we're looking for him now, for sure. The Powers have this trick of knowing when their name is spoken no matter where you are. Some Planar Lords also exhibit this trick, and they are known to bear absolute control over their domains, so much so that they can oust any powers from living within, if they so choose."

Juste pauses for a moment, rubbing a worn notch in his staff with his thumb as he contemplates the situation.

"Now the question is if Ahazu is willing to entertain our pleas for an audience. He may so choose to make our efforts to seek him out more or less difficult depending on his whims, but when we do arrive, we should have a plan beyond attempting to defeat such a Demon Lord on his home ground. He may ask for a trade."

Ason
2023-12-08, 02:45 AM
Aspexia nods her head at Jaxon's suggestion. "I prefer avoiding deals with such beings if we can avoid it: unreliable at best. I do propse two alternatives, however. First, I can try some mild telepathy..." She then trails off and falls silent, concentrating on the water and reaching out to any beings within using her innate telepathy, asking mentally, "Is the one called Shami-Amourae here?"

After a moment, assuming Aspexia hears no reply, she adds to the party, "Or second, we could simply summon a creature to 'test' the waters for us, if anyone has a weak summoning spell to spare. Otherwise, I could potentially spare a more potent summons."

50-foot telepathy from the Sanguine Angel (https://aonprd.com/PrestigeClassesDisplay.aspx?ItemName=Sanguine%20An gel) prestige class's capstone

paradox26
2023-12-10, 11:34 PM
The attempt to use telepathy fails. It is as if there is a barrier between you and Shami-Amourae. It seems like you can feel the telepathic touch extend as far as the water, then it just goes blank.

samduke
2023-12-11, 09:25 AM
flying back to land 30ft from the waters edge, No I do not summon things but if you do and send it in there just be careful

Da'Shain
2023-12-12, 12:38 PM
"The water is magic-immune, or at least immune to mine," Kia reports, slightly frustrated. "Can anyone tell if it is a magical effect or simply a natural property of this water?" She glances upwards at the area they'd just come through, attempting to discern any sort of source of antimagic, in the hopes they might figure out a way to disable it. Her brow furrows at the mention of another demon lord. "If we must search farther, we must, but if this Ahazu is trapped here as well, we may have the same lack of luck at freeing them. Best to exhaust possibilities here first before we go searching every Well.". With that, she seizes the demon corpse nearby and dips it slowly in the water, hoping for any further information.

Current Stance God of the Hourglass Stance (https://www.d20pfsrd.com/alternative-rule-systems/path-of-war/disciplines-and-maneuvers/Riven-Hourglass-maneuvers/#TOC-God-of-the-Hourglass-Stance)
Conditions Mass Planar Adaptation: ignore planar effects, resist fire 30, Flight (http://spheresofpower.wikidot.com/telekinesis#toc14) CL 26
Auras Aura of Gold 30 ft (+1 luck atk/save/skill/ability checks), Serene Tattoo (http://spheresofpower.wikidot.com/charms#toc48) 20 ft (suppresses any confusion, fear or rage effect)

Kia looks for anything that seems like it could be a source, or just a focus, for an Antimagic Field up above them, since nothing is jumping out at them in the water, in hopes she could get an idea what to look for. She will Aid Another herself on the check for a +9 to her normal bonus. Perception:[roll0]. EDIT: subtract 2 from this roll, miscalculated the bonus. (She also has 120 ft True Sight in case of illusions. EDIT: Reminder that under the Epic doc we're using, a DC 60 Perception check lets you sense magic, though not as discerning as with the spell.) Also if necessary, Spellcraft: [roll1].

She will instead of attempting pure telekinetic force, pick up the Retriever corpse with basic telekinesis and dip it slowly in the water, watching for any reaction until it is fully submerged and she (presumably) loses control of it.

paradox26
2023-12-12, 10:05 PM
Kia discovers that the water itself is magical, offering an abjuration effect, but no specific spell. The antimagic field in the air is just sort of hanging there, not based upon an item but fixed upon the air itself.

She dips the retriever's body into the water, and it has an unusual effect to her keen eyes. The retriever stays under her control, and dips beneath the surface until fully submerged, but it doesn't seem to interact with the succubus beneath the water.

Just a special note. I checked it out, and Aid Another requires that you assist "a friend". You can't aid yourself, so I disregarded the extra +9 you gave yourself, but your roll was still high enough to tell you a lot.

Starmage21
2023-12-13, 09:36 AM
"A reflective pool can also be a portal, but given that we're dealing with Abjuration here, I suspect this is some form of protection or imprisonment."

Jaxon thinks to himself for a moment, again rubbing a worn spot on his ruby-tipped staff

"I feel as if I am about to speak a heresy here, because I'm a gods-damned Arch-Wizard, but can we just lower a rope around her with a slip-knot and pull her out?"

Da'Shain
2023-12-13, 02:31 PM
Kia turns to Jaxon even as she retains her grip on the retriever corpse. "A rope is likely to interact with Shami-Amourae as little as this demon construct's body does, I'm afraid," she replies to his suggestion, demonstrating more exaggeratedly how the corpse goes in fully but crosses over the succubus without interacting. "I should be able to see through it if it were an illusion, but perhaps it's some sort of warped space effect, or she's been rendered ethereal?" Her gaze takes in the other assembled adventurers, raising an eyebrow in invitation for a prompted response, or any other ideas.

Kia will attempt Knowledge checks to see if she can figure out what is going on here. Presumably the relevant ones would be Knowledge: Arcana or Knowledge: Planes. She can attempt them herself, or Aid Another someone more knowledgeable and grant them a +9 bonus.

Know Arcana: [roll0]
Know Planes: [roll1]

She's otherwise fresh out of ideas, other than trying a dispel (which she could do with a +29 bonus, but is hesitant to make what would clearly be an attack) or simply tossing as many things as she can into the pool to see if she can empty it out.

Actually, @paradox26, was water displaced when the retriever corpse went inside? As a huge construct, it would probably displace a lot.

samduke
2023-12-13, 06:20 PM
Reiza, studies the liquid

Discern Illusions: Will saves against illusions (including glamers, figments, and any effects created by the illusion school or the Illusion sphere)

Will save:[roll0]

Heightened Awareness: may detect the presence of ongoing magical auras, such as those left by spells such as alarm or invisibility
the DC is equal to the original spell DC as determined by the spell’s caster (DC 10 + spell level + caster’s casting ability modifier), or DC 25 if the effect does not originate from a source that would make it possible to determine a spell DC
Perception:[roll1]

Ason
2023-12-14, 01:29 AM
Aspexia frowns at the water. "Telepathy failed me too. It may be more than water separating us. My companion," she tilts her head at the bird, "and I have one more spell that might help. Failing that, that other demon you mentioned may be our only path forward."

Aspexia then speaks in a strange language to her familiar. The bird turns into a small winged devil, casts a spell, and then discusses with Aspexia in the strange language once more.

Familiar: casting Augury (https://aonprd.com/SpellDisplay.aspx?ItemName=Augury) as its 1/day imp SLA, asking the question "Will diving into this pool of water bring us weal or woe?"

Talking: the two talk to each other using the language granted by Speak with Master (https://www.aonprd.com/ClassDisplay.aspx?ItemName=Familiar).

Powgow
2023-12-14, 02:54 AM
"If good ol' Seizer still keeps an eye around here, he'd know already." Alrunes shrugs, "The tree-burnin' wasn't exactly subtle, y'know?"

Unfortunately, her impromptu searching session turned empty-handed, but it afforded her a front-row seat on everything nearby. That sure does look like her mother inside the body of water, alright.

She also noticed that the carcass stayed mostly okay after submerging in the water. It's still dead, but it didn't disintegrate the remains. That means it's relatively safe as far as Abyssal hazards go. It sure is more pleasant than acid rain.

"Seizer did build the prison, but if he ended up imprisoned himself, he might also want to escape." Alrunes mused out loud, glancing at the construct.

"Who was that anyway?" She nudged at the retriever. If that was also a passer-by, it was rather unfortunate. This deep into the layer, though?

"Anyway, let me test the waters." She chuckles a bit at her pun, "I'm rather sturdy, so if it didn't crumble," She nudged at the submerged retriever again, "-I won't combust and turn to dust. Well, maybe."

After that nonchalant dismissal of bodily destruction, Alrunes flies near the ones currently musing about the possibilities. With little ceremony, she dips one of her legs into the water.

Flies over the water near Shami-Amourae before hovering above it and dipping one of her legs in.

samduke
2023-12-14, 08:01 AM
Slayer/Sentinel
[AC 48, Touch 25, Flat-footed 39

That pointing at the retriever is a Local, of this fine area that we find ourselves wandering through

paradox26
2023-12-16, 06:21 AM
The Augury attempt comes back with a result of Weal, but as is usual with the spell it doesn't offer much more information than that.

The attempt to remember information about such an effect comes back with nor result. It is clearly something beyond the limits of mere spells, and is a more fundamental affect provided by either the planes or the ones who created such a place, or who now run it at least.

ALrunes dips a leg into the water, and suddenly, she hears a telepathic voice. It is sultry, and appears likely to be coming from Shami-Amourae herself. It appears that the water, as well as being defensive, has other properties as well.

The telepathic voice calls back, "Who are you, and have you come to release me?"

Powgow
2023-12-17, 03:22 AM
Alrunes' expression lights up with recognition once she hears the voice inside her head.

"Mother? Mother, it's me, Alrunes! I've come to free you from this prison!"

Her psychic conversation isn't subtle. The others who share the psychic connection with the demon will hear the curious exchange. Even if she hasn't been forthcoming with her motive - nor could she articulate it - the bond between them could serve as an explanation. Well, perhaps. Does filial piety even exist among demons?

"How would I do that? Should I tear these enchantments asunder? Drain all the water in this place?"

Those who would prefer to hear voices instead of psychic signals could see the demon shrugging as she submerged another foot into the water, settling down in a strange leisure position even as she floated unmovingly.

"Huh. Water's surprisingly fine."

Perhaps touching the water is necessary to communicate with the former Succubus Queen.

paradox26
2023-12-18, 02:57 AM
The telepathic voice of Alrunes's mother calls back, "Find Ahazu. He may have the knowledge or the keys to how to release me, my child. Try searching for him at the Overlook."

Powgow
2023-12-19, 12:40 AM
"Overlook? That sounds...familiar. Where did I hear it from..."

Pageant of the Peacock lasts 10 minutes per Bardic Performance rounds used. If it's already past 10 minutes, Alrunes will spend another round to refresh the ability. I don't know what Knowledge roll to get information about this Overlook, but Pageant can replace any Knowledge roll.

Bardic Performance Rounds: 22 or 23/24

Knowledge (History/Planes (?)): [roll0]

samduke
2023-12-19, 07:39 AM
Slayer/Sentinel
Spell Points 29/31
Conditions: Mass Planar Adaptation: ignore planar effects, resist fire 30, Collective, Flight for the day (95 ft fly (perfect), lasting 26 hours)

at the mentioning of the Overlook
Knowledge History [roll0]
Knowledge Planes [roll1]

Well we need to find Ahazu then

paradox26
2023-12-21, 01:37 AM
The Overlook Citadel stands in the middle of the plane, so not too far away, and within walking distance. It sits atop the tallest tor of the plane, and its blood red spires catch the dim light brightly. It is dominated by a massive corner tower. Once the stronghold of the cult of Ahazu, it was overrun by the forces of Orcus, who to the best of your knowledge still control it to this day.

samduke
2023-12-21, 11:35 AM
Slayer/Sentinel
Spell Points 29/31
Conditions: Mass Planar Adaptation: ignore planar effects, resist fire 30, Collective, Flight for the day (95 ft fly (perfect), lasting 26 hours)

It seems we need to get ourselves out of this hole and head to the Overlook Citadel which stands in the middle of the plane, However there is a massive Corner Tower that is probably crawling with the forces of Orcus which we will probably need to deal with

Move action return to the hole where we dropped down and take a moment to consider options for dealing with the Monkeys , and that AMF, in order to get back out

Powgow
2024-01-03, 08:18 AM
"Ah! Of course! Not to worry, mother! I'll find ol' Seizer and get you out in no time!"

Alrunes floated over the water and back to dry ground. She knows where the Citadel's general direction is but not its exact location. Luckily for them, she can still fly.

"So, uhh, you guys need a hand?"

Starmage21
2024-01-05, 09:49 AM
Jaxon frowns, looking up at the trees needing to climb back out after having fallen down.

"I worry that Ahazu will not wish to be found, or he may ask an unreasonable service in trade for Shami-Amourae. Its a problem for later, so we best make our way back out with due haste. Dealing with demonic forces is at least something we've demonstrated we're capable of. I foresee the forces of Orcus only a bump in the road."

Jaxon produces a regular hempen rope

"I'd appreciate any assistance you can render here, Alrunes"

HP: ???/285

Currently affected by:

samduke
2024-01-06, 08:53 AM
Alrunes if you have the ability to get us all to the top side of this hole that would be appreciative

paradox26
2024-01-07, 01:07 AM
You manage to climb, fly, and teleport your way to the top of the pit. You hear the gorallons below you screaming in outrage, but they don't come after you.

samduke
2024-01-08, 05:57 PM
Reiza will take the lead heading towards where Orcus forces at the tower should be, so that we can hopefully find Ahazu

Starmage21
2024-01-09, 09:13 AM
"Reiza, wait one moment please. There are many fiends which can drain the life from those they prey on. I would not have us engage them without being prepared. I will reinforce our life-forces with energy from the Positive Energy Plane"

Jaxon widens his stance as the red crystal atop his staff glows as if heated white hot. He passes it in a wave in front of him, the white light washing over his companions.

"There. Now we can go."

He follows Reiza, as second in formation.

Jaxon casts Negative Energy Protection on everyone using the Mass enhancement. This costs 3 Spell Points.

HP: 271/285
Current Spell Points: 111

Currently affected by:
Negative Energy Protection for 21 hours

samduke
2024-01-09, 07:23 PM
After receiving some additional protections Reiza leads the group onwards

paradox26
2024-01-13, 03:08 AM
You travel to the fortress known as Overlook. As you approach, you can see abyssal bats flying a patrol over the tower. Known as Varrangoin, they are hairless bat like creatures that are human sized. A flock of four of them spot you, and turn towards the party, heading down at you with apparent malice.

Roll Initiatives, and if you want to know more about the Overlook, please roll a Knowledge Planes check.

Powgow
2024-01-13, 04:47 AM
Alrunes could appreciate the adventurers looking at the bright side of life - and even somewhat foolhardy - the casual dismissal of Orcus' forces might be premature. Sure, there might only be an advanced force this far from his layer, but good ol' skullhead is nothing if not persistent. And good at carrying grudges.

However, they are adventurers, after all. They're the most unreasonable profession across all the planes.

"Ah, well, it shouldn't be that bad."

She said that to herself but suspects this abyssal layer might be listening. The situation proves her case in short order: the welcoming committee.

"There they are~. Took 'em long enough."

Alrunes waves her hand in greeting in response to the overgrown bat swooping at her. In the meantime, her mind still wanders as she tries to recall more things about this peculiar fortress.

Conserving bardic performance rounds here and roll regular Knowledge: Planes.

Initiative: [roll0]
Knowlege Planes: [roll1]

samduke
2024-01-13, 09:14 AM
Slayer/Sentinel
Spell Points 29/31

Knowledge (Planes): (1d20+36)[47] for the abyssal bat (in ooc)

Actions:
Initiative: (1d20+13)[24] (in ooc)
Draw Sword and shield
Studied Target: abyssal bat
Guardian Challenge: abyssal bat

seeing the bats coming in at them Watch it they are dangerous

edited

Starmage21
2024-01-19, 09:49 AM
Jaxon's gaze settles on the bat-like figures diverting towards the group and his facial expression goes dark, his brow somewhat furrowing

"Such is the nature of The Abyss. Its inhabitants are full of malice and some of them are stupid enough to believe they can start with violence. We shall teach them the errors of their ways."

Initiative: [roll0]
Knowledge (The Planes) check: [roll1]

HP: 271/285
Current Spell Points: 111

Currently affected by:
Temporal Blur 50% Miss Chance for 21 Minutes (Has this expired since I cast it in the prison?)
Negative Energy Protection for 21 hours

paradox26
2024-01-26, 05:27 AM
The party, being well and truly on the alert, take the creatures napping, and manage to get off the first attacks.

The party gets first shot at the varrangoins.

samduke
2024-01-26, 08:48 AM
Slayer/Sentinel
Spell Points 29/31

Previous:
Studied Target: abyssal bat varrangoin
Guardian Challenge: abyssal bat varrangoin

Hit them with bright light, like daylight it will blind them for a time

Actions:
Move Action: Stealth: [roll0]

Scout: As a swift action, identify a creature’s weaknesses Knowledge (Planes) [roll1] (DC= 10 + creature’s CR)

Find Gap: abyssal bats varrangoin, AC -5

Attack: varrangoin
+6 enh (+7) Bastard Sword:
1) [roll2] Bane(outsider evil)
2) [roll3] Bane(outsider evil)
3) [roll4] Bane(outsider evil)
4) [roll5] Bane(outsider evil)

Confirm Crit 19-20x3
1) [roll6] Bane(outsider evil)
2) [roll7] Bane(outsider evil)
3) [roll8] Bane(outsider evil)
4) [roll9] Bane(outsider evil)

Damage
1) [roll10]
2) [roll11]
3) [roll12]
4) [roll13]

Hunter’s Surprise (Ex): Add sneak attack damage to all attacks made against one target
1) [roll14] + Deadly Strike: +21 damage
2) [roll15]
3) [roll16]
4) [roll17]