PDA

View Full Version : AD&D 2nd Ed Arcane Age Netheril - Levels beyond 20th

Moragion
2023-02-17, 11:35 AM
Hi everyone,

Been searching for some answer but so far internet has not provided, so I decided to try in this forum. In the Arcane Age box for Netheril it indicates several tables about magic beyond level 20, for all the spellcasting classes, but there is no information at all about how to go with characters beyond level 20, no rules at all. I don't know if the idea is to use the Dungeon Master's Options: High-Level Campaigns book, as there s no reference at all to that book in the box. Also, looking at the DMO book, the options there seem to go in a different flavour to what Netheril seems to suggest.

So what is the way to proceed? Do characters level up beyond 20 but only keep winning a few HP and nothing more, specially if they are not spellcasters? Also, arcanists have a top level of 45, but my guess that is only to have a reference for very powerful npcs, and never the idea for pcs. Or are arcanist supposed to have the potential of levelling up to 45 while other classes stop at level 20-30?

Hope someone can clarify or give some advice. Thanks!

Curbludgeon
2023-02-19, 12:59 PM
The High Levels Campaign book was published before Empire of Magic, so I'd be comfortable lifting the increases to saves and skills from it. At a glance the XP charts just seem to continue using the amount required to go from 19 to 20 for subsequent levels. True Dweomers are a little different than the spells above 9th level in the setting, but since the presence of such is a defining part of the setting I'd go with those rules.

There isn't a level limit for Netherese characters based on character class. While Arcanists, Priests and Bards keep increasing in effective spell points until level 45, and Rangers and Paladins only do so until level 30, it's noted that the latter two classes are still able to rise in casting level.

Moragion
2023-02-20, 05:19 AM
The High Levels Campaign book was published before Empire of Magic, so I'd be comfortable lifting the increases to saves and skills from it. At a glance the XP charts just seem to continue using the amount required to go from 19 to 20 for subsequent levels. True Dweomers are a little different than the spells above 9th level in the setting, but since the presence of such is a defining part of the setting I'd go with those rules.

There isn't a level limit for Netherese characters based on character class. While Arcanists, Priests and Bards keep increasing in effective spell points until level 45, and Rangers and Paladins only do so until level 30, it's noted that the latter two classes are still able to rise in casting level.

I see. So you would use the High Levels Campaign, with the corresponding tweaks, until level 30 for all classes, and then for levels 31 to 45 there will be no change in levelling up except for those spellcasters that get more spell points, am I correct?

Curbludgeon
2023-02-20, 07:21 AM
Proficiencies could keep accruing at the same rate, as can the small increase to HP, I guess.

Moragion
2023-02-20, 08:55 AM
Yeah, makes sense. I was checking Karsus, and he has 74 hp, as a 41st level arcanist, with a Con 19, so adds up.

Thanks for the answers!

Curbludgeon
2023-02-21, 12:57 AM
To be clear, 2e characters who aren't warriors don't get any benefit from a Con over 16. As a 41st level arcanist, Karsus would have had a potential HP of 10d4+20+31, or 61-91, which means he would have rolled a little under average.

Moragion
2023-02-21, 12:37 PM
Yeah I know that. He still has a +2 to hp per level until 10th level, which is the 20 that you put on. That is one of the things I always liked of playing 2e, that characters are not overflowing with hp, like in all the following editions.

Curbludgeon
2023-02-22, 05:03 AM
Oh, sure. Combine that with how Netherese spellcasters don't have a level-based damage cap on spells, and one gets in the situation where if a character's defenses are down for a moment a simple fireball can easily wipe them out.

Moragion
2023-02-25, 05:47 AM
Absolutely XD Thanks again for the answers!