PDA

View Full Version : Player Help Most dice you can roll (Not the obvious ones sneak, smite and spells)

MercCpt
2023-02-17, 06:03 PM
I was just wondering what the most you could do with a PC character with dice rolling without using the obvious methods.

JNAProductions
2023-02-17, 06:12 PM
I was just wondering what the most you could do with a PC character with dice rolling with using the obvious methods.

At one moment?
In one action?
In one turn?

For turn... Level 20 Bugbear Fighter, with Bless, a potion of heroism, and a potion of speed active. Using an Oathbow. Has Hex from Fey-Touched.

Turn goes like so:

Win initiative.
Bonus Action Hex on target, then attack nine times with advantage from your Oathbow.
Each attack is 2d20b1+2d4 to-hit. Assuming all attacks hit, each one does 1d8+6d6 damage. That's 4 dice on the attack roll, 7 on the damage roll.
Arrows of Slaying add 6d10 damage on a failed DC 17 Con save, success cuts the damage in half. If you use the ruling that the damage is rolled and then halved, not dice halved, that's +7 dice on each attack if you have at least nine of them.

With nine attacks, that's 18*9=162 dice

Edit: Remove 18 dice if no spells are allowed at all.

Edit II: Add 9 dice if Synaptic Static is allowed-it'd subtract a d6 from every attack roll.

Edit III: Okay, Fighter 11/Gloomstalker 3 can actually do SLIGHTLY better.

Still four attacks per action, but one attack per action gets +1d8 damage. So that'd be, if Static is allowed, 171 Dice.

Edit IV: Wait, a Flametongue Greatsword! Still four dice per damage base, but let's us use GWF. Assume you gain advantage because the target is Prone or whatever.

You're rolling 2d6 weapon damage, 2d6 fire damage, 2d6 bugbear damage, and all that can be rerolled if it comes up 1 or 2.
So that's 12 dice per damage roll!

So, 9 attacks times (5 dice on attack roll plus 12 dice on damage roll plus 7 dice from Slaying Arrows)=24*9, plus 4 dice from Gloomstalker bonuses, for 218 Dice.

Edit V: I forgot you can crit! So that'd be 9 attacks times (5 dice on attack roll plus 24 dice on damage rolls plus 7 dice from Slaying Arrows)=36*9, plus 8 dice from Gloomstalker bonuses, for 332 Dice.

Edit VI: We can drop Hex in favor of Favored Foe-same number of dice, takes concentration, but isn't a spell. That does free up our Bonus Action, though-combine that with a GWM crit, and we get to add... I'VE BEEN ADDING SLAYING ARROWS EVEN THOUGH GREATSWORD!
Lemme fix.

Edit VII: Ranged build gets 5 dice on attack roll, 14 dice on damage, 7 extra from Slaying. Nine attacks, add 4 dice from Gloomstalker bonuses.
Melee gets 5 dice on attack roll, 28 dice on damage. Ten attacks, add 4 dice from Gloomstalker bonuses.

Okay. Adding together...

Ranged-238 Dice
Melee-334 Dice

You can roll 334 dice in one turn with the proper build, though it does need two spells that impact every attack.
If no spells are allowed at all, you can roll 314.

Edit Again: Wait... Wait just a gosh-darned moment! First off, I messed up-Bless and the potion do not stack. Second off...

Level 20 Bugbear Samurai with GWF, GWM, a Flametongue Greatsword, under the effects of a speed potion, a potion of Heroism, and having 1 HP left. Attacking a prone target near a 10' drop. Probably using loaded dice.

Attack Total
20-four from each action, one from a bonus action, one from Haste effect on each turn taken in this turn

Attack Roll
2d20b1+1d4. 3 dice each

Damage Roll
2d6 base damage, 2d6 flame damage, 2d6 bugbear damage, doubled for each attack critting, doubled again because each die comes up 1 or 2 and gets rerolled. 24 dice each.

Total Numbers
27*20=540 Dice

How do we do?
Start of combat, win initiative. Action Surge, BA attack, and Haste attack for 10 crits, then fall off the 10' platform, taking 1d6 damage. Use Strength Before Death reaction to take another turn in your turn, running back up the platform and repeating.

540 Dice, baby!

Kane0
2023-02-17, 07:02 PM
I was going to say contriving some sort of hasted, blessed, hexed elven accuracy bugbear (reincarnation or something i dunno) maxing out a scorching ray with some action surges and such thrown in.

JNAProductions
2023-02-17, 07:08 PM
I was going to say contriving some sort of hasted, blessed, hexed elven accuracy bugbear (reincarnation or something i dunno) maxing out a scorching ray with some action surges and such thrown in.

I don't think you can combo Elven Accuracy with bugbear's Surprise Attack. You could be a bugbear and later reincarnate into an elf, but you don't keep Surprise Attack then.

Unoriginal
2023-02-17, 07:12 PM
How do we do?
Start of combat, win initiative. Action Surge, BA attack, and Haste attack for 10 crits, then fall off the 10' platform, taking 1d6 damage. Use Strength Before Death reaction to take another turn in your turn, running back up the platform and repeating.

540 Dice, baby!

Old Sage, observing the fight: "The Dopped Up Phoenix Fall and Rise?!?! This technique is forbidden! No one can survive its power!"

Samayu
2023-02-17, 10:30 PM
Most dice in one roll? Building on the bugbear with Flame Tongue... 20th level assassin, for autocrit if we win initiative, and 10d6 sneak attack. That's 30 dice right there. Now let's add some spells for damage. Damage buffs from friends, or go Arcane Trickster for your own buff plus a natural crit.

RogueJK
2023-02-18, 09:49 AM
If we're allowing that Bugbear Fighter to have outside support from their party, you can add several additional dice through allies' class/subclass abilities:

- A friendly Peace Cleric with Emboldening Bond active = +1d4 to one of the Bugbear's attack rolls
- A friendly Bard who gave them Bardic Inspiration = +1d6/1d8/1d10/1d12 to one of the Bugbear's attack rolls
- A friendly Wild Magic Barbarian who gave them Bolstering Magic = +1d3 to all of the Bugbear's nine attack rolls.
- A friendly Drakewarden Ranger whose Drake uses their Reaction for Infused Strikes = +1d6 damage to one of the Bugbear's hits
- A friendly Graviturgy Wizard using their Reaction for Violent Attraction = +1d10 damage to one of the Bugbear's hits

That's potentially another 13 dice to roll, none of which are from spells/smite/sneak attack.

Most dice in one roll? Building on the bugbear with Flame Tongue... 20th level assassin, for autocrit if we win initiative, and 10d6 sneak attack. That's 30 dice right there. Now let's add some spells for damage. Damage buffs from friends, or go Arcane Trickster for your own buff plus a natural crit.

Except the OP's parameters were "most dice without smite, sneak attack, or spells"...

MercCpt
2023-02-23, 05:40 AM
Holy Moly 540!! that is insane dice rolls thank you all for contributing I didn't even think it would get close to 500 never mind over 500 jeez