PDA

View Full Version : D&D 5e/Next My Super Rad New Staff

Kereea
2023-02-17, 08:01 PM
So. I play a Kenku GOO Warlock10/Storm Sorcerer3 whose patron is the long lost god of Kenku and Language. Turns out my patron is dead/a spirit lingering, and I am his chosen successor...and he gave me his staff. The staff of a god. ...That I forgot to properly equip for like a month. But anyway...

Hoo boy.

It's a +3 staff, okay. It's a major item in my questline and came from a huge reveal. But that's not all it does. It ALSO lets me gain sorcery points equal to the level of spell slot used, if I use a spell slot. That's useful, especially since I only have 3 metamagic points normally and Heightened Spell will take all three if I use it.

IF I use a spell slot, you say? Well, at Warlock lv 10, I have lv 5 Warlock spell slots. 2 of them. If I cast any of my Warlock spells at a lower level IT DOES NOT USE A SPELL SLOT.

....I only have 3 Sorcerer spells that are leveled spells, guys (Sleep, Chromatic Orb, Web). The rest are all Warlock Spells. And ALL of them other than Synaptic Static are FREE unless I upcast them to level 5. I have a LOT of utility spells in there.

I know I'm the only full caster but DANG does this feel broken. I love it. :smallcool:

Yakk
2023-02-24, 04:23 PM
Flexible casting already lets you convert spell slots into sorcery points?

Does this now happen when you cast a spell normally?

"Well, at Warlock lv 10, I have lv 5 Warlock spell slots. 2 of them. If I cast any of my Warlock spells at a lower level IT DOES NOT USE A SPELL SLOT. "

Is this also a property of the staff? At-will 4th level spells is a bit much at level 13.

In a "the characters ascend to demigodhood" plan I have I was going to unlock slotless 3rd level spells at level 17 and considered it a major feature. You are getting slotless 4th level spells a tier earlier. That is crazy.

Kereea
2023-02-28, 06:26 AM
Flexible casting already lets you convert spell slots into sorcery points?

Does this now happen when you cast a spell normally?

In a "the characters ascend to demigodhood" plan I have I was going to unlock slotless 3rd level spells at level 17 and considered it a major feature. You are getting slotless 4th level spells a tier earlier. That is crazy.

It happens when I cast a spell normally that uses a spell slot. IE, last session I cast Web, one of my three Sorcerer spells, and got two extra Sorcery Points for using a LV2 spell.

And yes, it's very crazy. My main limit now is spells I know, which since I'm a Tome Warlock who can learn rituals from Spell Scrolls is growing all the time. I only have two Lv 4s but they're pretty strong (Summon Aberration and Dimension Door). I could theoretically spawn Summon Aberration and just let the Action Economy do the winning in some cases.

Of course, our GM just uses that as an excuse to throw even crazier encounters at us. The Ranger/Fighter just got a huge upgrade to her Animal Companion as well to help with that, now it has a transformation using her Spell Slots (she only has three lv 1s she barely uses) to either a Hellhound or Moon Dog to help the party more. Moon Dog casting Darkness plus Druid casting Moonbeam within the Darkness = Massacre in the Test Encounter. I only needed cantrips for that fight, lol.