PDA

View Full Version : Chasing the Dragon {5E} IC

Pages : [1] 2

Lentrax
2023-02-18, 12:44 AM
You awaken as the sun comes in through the window of your room in the Lady's Favor. You sit up in your bed, and your eyes move across the pile of gear sitting in the chair near the bed without registering it.

You pour water into the basin and wash your face. Your eyes move past the equipment on the chair.

You begin to dress. You do not even think about what you are doing, the routine is so ingrained into you. It isn't until you instinctually grab the weapons sitting in the pile and start putting them into place on your body that you realize what you are doing, and stop to look at your room. All of the things you had with you are there, where you placed them when you went to bed last night. Everything is as it should be.

But then, if that is the case, what is this stuff? And where did it come from?

You inspect the items, going through everything, and you find the note. Written on very smooth cream parchment, it bears only two words, written in scarlet ink. Save Us

What could it mean?

Archemist
2023-02-18, 07:15 PM
Visiting extended family on the surface was bad enough, since it made her take time away from her usual duties, but then to have strange equipment showing up in her room? Unacceptable.

But it was hers, somehow. Heide thought about complaining to the manager, but decided something was probably afoot that was beyond the ken of the management at the Lady's Favor. Magic, almost certainly. She had wizard friends who might be able to look around for traces of magic but Heide always figured it was kind of pointless to do so. Just assume it's magic. It's always magic.

So what did that mean? "Time to take a look around. Find the wizard who did this, find the 'why,' find out whether they really need help or just a quick lesson in not messing with Heide Coppergear." She finished dressing and headed to the door. Worst case, at least the new suit of armor seemed to be of good dwarven quality. "If it's a prank, it wasn't a cheap one," she mused to herself.

Down to the inn's common room she went, to see if anyone else had noticed anything strange last night.

Shiro_Nogard
2023-02-18, 11:53 PM
The change from sleep to awake was to forced. "..Water.." The basins water helped. It still ran down his front leaving wet marks on his clots. "What was it today?" Wondering about the days schedule he started dressing.

Up came the pants.

Being on the move for so long it was hard not to develop a routine.

Down the shirt

Being from a villa he always liked to make detailed things. The more detail the better.

On with the armor.

Some things never change. Others take time, while most things just kept changing. Like all the out doors work he had to do just to get a tan.

Then came the belt.

But things started to not click. Like the sound of the knife hitting the table. It still took him putting the belt and look at the other occupant of the room to finally get his blood running on his head. The mask didn't help. Neither did the reverence and walk out the room.

"Must have been a good night." The frown didn't left his face as he thought about it. "So good I cant remember." His eyes landed on a letter at his side. Opening it didn't help any. Deciding to let it end there and save his money by not lagging he made his way down after picking his back pack. A back pack that looked wrong and felt right. "What did I ate yesterday?"

Jötunn
2023-02-19, 06:27 AM
Loud snores radiate from one room in particular until the sleeper appears to almost stop breathing for a moment.

"Hnnnfffzzzglbz-wha?"

Flailing for a moment in amongst the bedding, Elmmet is halfway up before the blockage in his throat clears and normal breathing can resume and he has time to recoil from the bright sunlight now in his eyes. Having stoically endured what would be a mild night of carousing for a man ten years younger, there is a not inconsiderable headache to deal with before the business of the day can be attended to.

That is, until Elmett notices the suit of armor he's been putting on in place of his tunic and pants, and the other things sitting on the chair next to the bed.

A tall stave of oak wood, perfect for a traveller on the road and so smooth you'd think it was grown into the shape it currently holds, and with the top decorated with flowering blooms that look as if they could be growing from a living tree. Wooden plates, curved in such a shape as to suggest encapsulating a human body - a set of half-plate, yet carved of wood? Surely impractical and expensive and yet right there in front of him. A bag, packed full, a stranger's life and possessions placed there on the chair and yet somehow so familiar that he was half-dressed in this strange armour.

Muttering to himself, he starts stripping the armour off again."I must've been right confused if I forgot sharing a room with some kind of... elf? And then even half-put on the armour! Gods, if they'd caught me, they'd think I was some kind of thief!"

Then, while piling the armour neatly back onto the chair - How was it placed again? - one small mistep sees a scrap of parchment flutter to the floor and unfold with scarlet letters - "Save Us"

Frowning mightily as he redresses with care and intention in the clothes he wore last night, Elmmet stomps down to the common room and snags the attention of the proprietor of the establishment (or the like) and begins to inquire as quietly as his hangover will allow - that is, not very.

"Is there any sort of chance I drunk something stronger than that whiskey last night, and was there some sort of elf on a quest who might have ended up bunking with me in my room last night because y'see I don't 'member anything quite like that and yet I woke up to a pile of fancy wooden things and another traveller's bag in my room..."

The sentences seem to turn into more of an embarrassed mumble and his cheeks flush as he realises what he's saying sounds probably a little bit deranged.

Izzarra
2023-02-19, 01:29 PM
https://images2.imgbox.com/6e/e7/tMEnQJod_o.png
Azzalix (https://docs.google.com/document/d/1cvn2kbl4GEb-_Mu50AvSIak_ZGKGl-HA9z_xPi2LhNA)
Warlock, Celestial
HP: 9/9, AC: 15, Resistance: Fire
Conditions: None
Spell Slots: 1/1

Azzalix wakes up with her wings tangled in the bedding again. Still half asleep she tries to extract herself from the linens. When she is finally able to sit upright and stretch her arms and wings she notices the equipment that wasn't in the room with her when she went to sleep.

Somebody must have broken into the room while she was sleeping. Where they watching her sleep? Why is there some sort of leather outfit? Did they take their cloths off while they were watching her sleep and have to leave in a hurry when she was waking up?

Azzalix clutches the bedding up to her chin and screams.

Shiro_Nogard
2023-02-19, 11:58 PM
The scream stops Jake. He wondered if everything was okay and got close to the door. A muffed scream could mean many things. for a moment he wondered if some one was also having a good time. The likes one doesn't remember.

"Everything fine in there?" He asked as he knocked on the door. one hand was on his tools. who knows what could happen.

Izzarra
2023-02-20, 01:08 AM
Azzalix (https://docs.google.com/document/d/1cvn2kbl4GEb-_Mu50AvSIak_ZGKGl-HA9z_xPi2LhNA)
Warlock, Celestial

"Everything fine in there?" He asked as he knocked on the door. one hand was on his tools. who knows what could happen.
"I think somebody broke into my room while I was sleeping, and left without their clothes."

Shiro_Nogard
2023-02-20, 01:25 AM
He blinked a few times at hearing that. His pose a moment's away about to tackle the door. "Someone left their clothes?" For him things were turning bizarre. A frown adorned his face. "The door looks locked... take a look at the things. Maybe you will find something? I will mount guard, if you want me to, that is." He wanted to ask if she felt the conundrum he did about his. But didnt want to influence her answer.
Turning his back to the door he looked around trying to find anything out of place.

Jötunn
2023-02-20, 10:39 AM
The scream interrupts Elmmet mid-question, and it takes a moment for him to get upstairs. Upon seeing Jake there though, he stops.

"Everything aright? Is that the door the scream came from?"

Eyeing Jake with perhaps a smidge of suspicion given nobody else is in the hallway, he moves closer before raising his voice.

"Everything aright up here or is there summat I can do to help?"

Before waiting for a reply though he eyes Jake's pointer ears and asks the question he's been trying to answer all morning so far.

"You wouldn't happen to have a friend that left a pile o' wooden armour in my room, would you?"

Lentrax
2023-02-20, 12:58 PM
A moment later, you hear a woman call from the top of the stairs. "Don't you dare break that door!"

The voice belongs to Mistress Cespar, the innkeeper. She bustles up the hall to the door leading to Azzalix's room, and then knocks.

"Dearie? It's Alve, is everything all right?"

Izzarra
2023-02-20, 02:09 PM
Warlock, Celestial

Azzalix makes a toga out of the sheet and takes a closer look at what has been left in the room before cracking the door open.

"Dearie? It's Alve, is everything all right?"

"I think somebody broke into my room while I was sleeping. They left some sort of armor, a crossbow, and this note."

She holds up the parchment that says Save Us.

Lentrax
2023-02-20, 03:24 PM
Mistress Cespar virtually ignores the note, and continues speaking to Azzalix. "Would you like me to come in and help you?"

Izzarra
2023-02-20, 04:05 PM
Warlock, Celestial

"Would you like me to come in and help you?"
"Um, Maybe I should get dressed first."
Azzalix closes the door and quickly puts on her cloths, then opens the door wide for the others.
She hasn't properly examined the armor yet, but it would have openings for wings and a tail. I am guessing there might not be anyone else in town that could wear it.

Jötunn
2023-02-20, 06:54 PM
Elmmet is preparing to respond to the innkeeper when that note is flashed through the cracked door and his jaw hits the floor.

"That note. I got one just like it," he croaks, after a moment. "And you got some sort of adventuring-type's knick knack's too?"

Shiro_Nogard
2023-02-20, 07:47 PM
He eyed the note a fraction of a moment, wondering if this prank was going wild when the human mentioned he had a note. And he even had the gall to spill the beans about the items, ruining any possible leads. "We better give them some space. Lets go down stairs. Shall we?" he moved to the side and motioned for the human to go down with him.

Archemist
2023-02-20, 09:01 PM
Heide follows the innkeeper up to the tiefling's room to see what was up and join the crowd.

"I got a note like that, too, along with some armor. It's contagious, apparently." She looks concerned.

"So somebody's serious about being saved, and is just giving out armor, presumably because they think we'll need it. Not a good sign."

If the group is heading back downstairs, she'll follow so as to continue the discussion. When she catches sight of Azzalix with her wings, she gapes for a moment then remembers to close her mouth. "I've never seen anyone quite like you before."

Izzarra
2023-02-20, 10:04 PM
Warlock, Celestial

"So it wasn't just me?" Azzalix breaths a sign of relief that it probably wasn't some weirdo sneaking into her room to watch her sleep. However, the alternate reasons for what had happened were hardly without a different kind of troublesome explanation.

"I've never seen anyone quite like you before."
Azzalix's cheeks flush and she looks at down. "Oh, yeah I also haven't seen many others with wings like these."

She looks to the others that were talking about mysterious happenings. "Per... Perhaps those of us with unexplained equipment should talk about it over breakfast or something?"

After thanking Mistress Cespar for checking on her, she grabs the armor and spreads it out on the bed. It is unmistakably designed to fit her unusual anatomy. A coif that has holes for her horns. Openings for wings in the back of the coat and space for her bust in the front. A segmented flexible covering for her tail. Her face turns bright red, how did they know her measurements?

She storms down to the other three and sits down hard stewing in mortification. "The armor that somebody... or something, left in my room looks like it is just my size."

Shiro_Nogard
2023-02-21, 02:09 AM
"Not only that." After they sat down took a good long look at the equipment. Somehow it looked like it fit just right. He found himself biting his lip. "Three times for the charm. But we got four... anyway. I might have a suspect. From the look of things I am the only one that got a look at the person on my room."

Just like that he started to feel like he was about to be looked like he was a weirdo. "It was a masked maid... I know what you are thinking, but that's what I saw. She was INSIDE my room. Looked so comfortable there, even after being caught just greeted me and proceed to walk out the room." He wanted a drink. It was the start of the day and he ALREADY wanted a drink. "I am too sober for this. And I dont drink that much."

Izzarra
2023-02-22, 12:31 AM
Warlock, Celestial

"It was a masked maid... I know what you are thinking, but that's what I saw. She was INSIDE my room. Looked so comfortable there, even after being caught just greeted me and proceed to walk out the room."
"A maid, I suppose that is better then ..." She leaves the sentience unfinished as a shiver creeps up her spine from her imagination going wild with the alternatives.

After spending a moment composing herself, Azzalix studies the note that was left that was left in her room.
"'Save Us' ... I'm just an apothecary in training. Sure I help people, but usually they come see me less dramatically and more directly then this. Why would they go to the trouble of getting a custom set of armor made for me? I have never worn armor before."

Archemist
2023-02-22, 01:29 AM
After spending a moment composing herself, Azzalix studies the note that was left that was left in her room.
"'Save Us' ... I'm just an apothecary in training. Sure I help people, but usually they come see me less dramatically and more directly then this. Why would they go to the trouble of getting a custom set of armor made for me? I have never worn armor before."

Heide addresses Mistress Cespar for a moment: "This maid... I assume she doesn't work for you?"

But then Heide turns her attention back to the tiefling. "My own is the same. These spikes, the sizing, the detail - all are good dwarven style, and a good fit. It must be someone wealthy, someone of means. I can understand why someone like that would want my help, though their manner of asking is indeed strange."

Jötunn
2023-02-22, 11:11 AM
Elmmet's brow is furrowed and he scratches his head.

"What kind of... I'm just a humble farmer, I grow the best barley this side of Operia. Surely this must be some sort of mistake? And why wooden armour, of all things, instead of good, honest metal? This truly is passing strange."

Jötunn
2023-02-25, 03:55 AM
"Y'know," Elmmet begins thoughtfully, "it's almost like we're the heroes from that story where.. oh, how did Old Yam tell it? Something like..." His voice grows deeper and with a touch of drama in his voice. "In the time of Operia's greatest need, there were chosen from amongst the common folk a team of champions, whose hands had never touched blade yet with zeal and bravery fought like lions... Or something like that. He always was a better storyteller."

He grins.

"But surely we're not in a story like that, right?At the very least surely we'd know if there was some great threat we'd have to heave off and go and fight."

Shiro_Nogard
2023-02-25, 10:03 PM
"Mmhhh. There was that kind of story?" Wondered as he covered his mouth with a hand. I wouldnt know, was busy not getting harassed. He thought to himself. "But there is still the maid, who send her?. Hope however send her or them just had the decency to knock. But above I dont know about you all, but this armor is not a cheap piece." He knocked on the breast plate he wore. "So, if its a joke its way too expensive for that. But I dont believe its one of those tales.."

Izzarra
2023-02-25, 10:20 PM
Warlock, Celestial

Azzalix's eyes grow wide with wonder. "We might be champions!!?! I wonder if I will be able to turn into a cat, or hide inside of shadows, or wield a magical talking holy sword of justice?"

Lentrax
2023-02-27, 08:35 AM
Heide addresses Mistress Cespar for a moment: "This maid... I assume she doesn't work for you?"

She barks a short laugh at the question. “Oh, dearie. The closest thing this place has to a maid is me.”

Izzarra
2023-02-27, 08:09 PM
Warlock, Celestial

"Well, I suppose I won't be getting a magical sword, or it would have been with the other stuff. How do we know if we can do magic or something? My uncle Thilby used to perform magic tricks at parties, there were some special words that he spoke as he waved his hands around."
Azzalix starts waving her hands around trying to remember the gestures her uncle did.

Archemist
2023-02-27, 08:52 PM
How do we know if we can do magic or something? My uncle Thilby used to perform magic tricks at parties, there were some special words that he spoke as he waved his hands around."
Azzalix starts waving her hands around trying to remember the gestures her uncle did.

Surprised, Heide's first reaction is to quash this impulse. "NOOO, no no no. Playing around with magic is not something we want to be doing. I'm sure the innkeeper here would not be delighted to find out you can make a fireball."

She waves her hands soothingly as she says this, as if all she were saying was "Good doggy. Goooood doggy. Let go of the shoe."

Lentrax
2023-02-28, 08:21 AM
As Azzalix begins waving her arms about, she feels… something. A touch on her mind.

A feeling that she can’t explain, drawing her attention to an open window, where the vast bulk of Operia’s castle sits. As her eyes take in the sight, clouds pass overhead, casting shadows on the shining white walls.

Izzarra
2023-02-28, 09:06 PM
Warlock, Celestial

Surprised, Heide's first reaction is to quash this impulse. "NOOO, no no no. Playing around with magic is not something we want to be doing. I'm sure the innkeeper here would not be delighted to find out you can make a fireball."
"It was just a simple spell that shouldn't burn down anything, I think, Prestimagation, Pretidision, Presto..."
Her hands stop waving as Azzalix gets a thousand yard stare before looking out the window.
"I don't know if I just cast a spell or not, but it felt like something just touched my mind. I ... I think something might happen at Operia’s castle."

Archemist
2023-02-28, 09:31 PM
"The castle? That's the opposite direction I was heading... but somehow I feel like you may be right. This seems bigger than some hedge-wizard's prank."

Izzarra
2023-03-01, 10:20 PM
Warlock, Celestial

"The castle? That's the opposite direction I was heading... but somehow I feel like you may be right. This seems bigger than some hedge-wizard's prank."
"At least I think that is what was implied. I have never been an oracle before. Maybe it is that the land protected by the castle is going to be threatened and fall under a metaphorical shadow."

Shiro_Nogard
2023-03-03, 10:53 PM
"The castle?" He frowns and looks at it for a moment. "Guess its wort a shot... how know, I might find that maid?" He ended with a bewildered look. "Also wanted to see the place."

Archemist
2023-03-03, 11:03 PM
Heide asks, "How long would it take to get to the castle? I suppose we shouldn't dally here if all the answers are there." She shoulders her new-looking pack and turns to Mistress Cespar, "Do you think you could get us some breakfast to-go?"

Jötunn
2023-03-04, 01:30 AM
"Well now, didn't think it was all that usual to find ourselves knocking on the castle door just to uh, check in, as such. Won't they turn us away, or worse?"

He ponders, for a moment.

"Should we, uh, dress up?"

Izzarra
2023-03-04, 01:35 AM
Warlock, Celestial

"I better grab my stuff."
Azzalix goes to her room and packs her bag. She puts on the armor easily without any need for instruction even though it is her first time ever wearing armor.
Back in the main hall she apologizes to Mistress Cespar for causing a fuss before joining the others to head out.

Lentrax
2023-03-04, 09:08 AM
Heide asks, "How long would it take to get to the castle? I suppose we shouldn't dally here if all the answers are there." She shoulders her new-looking pack and turns to Mistress Cespar, "Do you think you could get us some breakfast to-go?"

"I don't really have anything made for walking and eating," she replies. "But the festival is in full swing, and I am sure that someone is selling something along your way."

Warlock, Celestial

"I better grab my stuff."
Azzalix goes to her room and packs her bag. She puts on the armor easily without any need for instruction even though it is her first time ever wearing armor.
Back in the main hall she apologizes to Mistress Cespar for causing a fuss before joining the others to head out.

"Oh, don't worry about it dearie." she replies comfortingly. "You were hardly the only one to have bad dreams last night. May have been the only one I have heard of who woke up screaming, but that hardly means a thing."

Izzarra
2023-03-07, 01:38 AM
Warlock, Celestial

Azzalix looks to see if there is any tasty looking street food available on the route to the castle.

Archemist
2023-03-07, 01:51 AM
Heide decides to head to the castle with the others. "Truly, a strange start to the day. They may not believe us at the castle... I hardly believe it myself."

Shiro_Nogard
2023-03-07, 10:49 AM
Tagging along he marveled at the boots. Wondering all the while what could bloom for this.

"Cant complain. Everything looks delicious." He paused a moment to get a pair of meat sticks for him. "With some luck, this is just a rich guy prank." He enjoyed his treat as they made their way to the castle.

Archemist
2023-03-07, 09:32 PM
Turning up her nose at the street food, Heide just pulls out some dried fruit from her pack and snacks on that. She was only really counting on a day's more travel and she seems a little annoyed at the disruption to her schedule and routine. But after a little while of hiking towards the castle she seems to have accepted that it can't be helped.

At the very least she feels like the folks at the castle should be told that distributing suits of armor stealthily in the night is no way to run a governmental emergency system. "There has to be a better way."

Lentrax
2023-03-09, 10:21 AM
Warlock, Celestial

Azzalix looks to see if there is any tasty looking street food available on the route to the castle.

There is indeed street food on the way to the castle. Of all kinds, for any diet you may need to satiate. And even though it is still somewhat early in the morning, there is a brisk trade as people are getting ready for the days activities.

But you are not interested in the fun and games right now. You are on serious business, and so you make your way through the crowd, past the criers, and along the city streets toward the castle.

The massive bright stone building stands atop the tallest hill in the city, its walls, ancient things barely taller than the only slightly less ancient buildings built against it. As you come nearer to the castle, the streets widen, fewer people are on them, and more and more your odd attire draws attention.

Maybe it’s the attire itself, or maybe it’s the way you seem uncomfortable in it, but something about you causes the guards at the castle gate to cross their pikes and ask your business.

Archemist
2023-03-09, 08:24 PM
Maybe it’s the attire itself, or maybe it’s the way you seem uncomfortable in it, but something about you causes the guards at the castle gate to cross their pikes and ask your business.

Heide huffs. "We're expected. Can you let the Princesses know we've arrived? I'm not one for wasting time and the fewer times I have to say 'get me your manager or commanding officer' before we see the Princesses, the better."

She moves up a step to stand a pace ahead of her companions and stares at the guards intimidatingly, every inch of her short dwarven frame seeming ready to go full Karen as needed.

Lentrax
2023-03-09, 09:46 PM
"Oh," one of the two guards says sarcastically. "You're expected, are you? Well, why don't you give us your name, and I have my boss go see his boss to see if you get to see the princesses or a personally guided tour of the dungeon?"

Archemist
2023-03-09, 10:47 PM
"Oh," one of the two guards says sarcastically. "You're expected, are you? Well, why don't you give us your name, and I have my boss go see his boss to see if you get to see the princesses or a personally guided tour of the dungeon?"

"I don't appreciate your tone, sir. You can tell your boss that, along with the name Heide Coppergear. We've got some shiny new armor here from the princesses and we just want to express our thanks in person. Not to get attitude from guards who drew the short stick this morning."

Lentrax
2023-03-09, 10:54 PM
“And I,” the guard says, “don’t appreciate having to deal with people like you who claim to be close personal acquaintances with my rulers. Do you have any proof to back up your claim?”

Izzarra
2023-03-09, 11:14 PM
Warlock, Celestial

Azzalix interposes herself between Heide and the guards.
"Um, I'm so sorry, it has been a weird morning for us. We have reason to report some suspicious activity to someone of authority, perhaps the Marshal of the castle."

Lentrax
2023-03-09, 11:39 PM
"The dreams? Don't bother. We already know. Go back about your business. Have a good time."

Izzarra
2023-03-10, 12:02 AM
Warlock, Celestial

Azzalix draws herself up to her full height of 5 feet tall, not counting her horns, which is insufficient so she flies a few inches off the ground so she can actually meet them at eye level.
"I had more of a vision actually, it happened after I was already awake thank you very much. However, we have something more tangible then mere 'dreams'. Now, if you are not going to let us file a proper report I want your names so that if something terrible happens we will know who it was that stopped us."

Shiro_Nogard
2023-03-10, 10:12 AM
"Wait a moment" The half-elf intercedes. "I saw a maid on my room. Long sky blue dress, long white apron, blonde hair and wears a white featureless mask. Rings any bells?"

Lentrax
2023-03-10, 03:08 PM
Warlock, Celestial

Azzalix draws herself up to her full height of 5 feet tall, not counting her horns, which is insufficient so she flies a few inches off the ground so she can actually meet them at eye level.
"I had more of a vision actually, it happened after I was already awake thank you very much. However, we have something more tangible then mere 'dreams'. Now, if you are not going to let us file a proper report I want your names so that if something terrible happens we will know who it was that stopped us."

“Oh, I see. Visions is it, then? And what kinda-“ but he is cut off by Jake.

"Wait a moment" The half-elf intercedes. "I saw a maid on my room. Long sky blue dress, long white apron, blonde hair and wears a white featureless mask. Rings any bells?"

The guard stops and both of them stand slack jawed at the description. But the one who has been talking is the first to recover.

“I… see. And what about you two?” He asks pointing toward Heide and Elmmet. “You two seen anything unusual?”

Izzarra
2023-03-11, 09:58 PM
Warlock, Celestial

Seeing the guard's sudden change of demeaner she drops to the ground, steps aside, and awaits Heide's and Elmmet's response.

Archemist
2023-03-11, 10:19 PM
“I… see. And what about you two?” He asks pointing toward Heide and Elmmet. “You two seen anything unusual?”

"Just a couple of silly guards," Heide quips, but then she also gives Jake a look. "Was this maid anyone we'd recognize?"

Izzarra
2023-03-12, 01:44 PM
Warlock, Celestial

Azzalix stares daggers at Heide for not taking the situation seriously.

Lentrax
2023-03-12, 02:34 PM
"Just a couple of silly guards," Heide quips, but then she also gives Jake a look. "Was this maid anyone we'd recognize?"

“Oh. So we’re silly are we?” The guard asks as he takes his pike back in both hands. He raises his voice as he goes on.

“The only ones we were supposed to be watching for was the Count and his four carriages! But you clearly weren’t ain’t them, is ya! Now piss off!”

Intelligence checks please. Soldier background gets advantage.

Shiro_Nogard
2023-03-12, 08:56 PM
He wasn't about to get discouraged. He was the only one that had found someone on their room. The gobsmacked look on the guards was a positive sign that that info was new. So after other make their recount he could dig deeper.

Now it was his turn to be gobsmacked as he looked at Heide. Was about to answer when the guards turned one nook under hostile.

“Oh. So we’re silly are we?” The guard asks as he takes his pike back in both hands. He raises his voice as he goes on.

“The only ones we were supposed to be watching for was the Count and his four carriages! But you clearly weren’t ain’t them, is ya! Now piss off!”

He threw a nasty look at Heide. Wanted to punch him, however starting something before the guards was a bad move

Int roll
[roll0]

Izzarra
2023-03-12, 09:15 PM
Warlock, Celestial

Intelligence check: [roll0]

Archemist
2023-03-12, 09:41 PM
Heide didn't mean to make him hostile so she applies her brains for a moment.

[roll0]

*Edited based on OOC thread*

Heide looks around and she attempts to figure out who the guard may be trying to communicate with. Then she simply says, "Look. You seem busy with this Very Important Waiting you're doing. We'll go elsewhere until this Count arrives, then. But the Princesses won't be happy."

She motions to the others to just turn and walk a block away or so, which she does also.

Lentrax
2023-03-12, 10:10 PM
Heide didn't mean to make him hostile so she applies her brains for a moment.

[roll0]

*Edited based on OOC thread*

Heide looks around and she attempts to figure out who the guard may be trying to communicate with. Then she simply says, "Look. You seem busy with this Very Important Waiting you're doing. We'll go elsewhere until this Count arrives, then. But the Princesses won't be happy."

She motions to the others to just turn and walk a block away or so, which she does also.

“I wouldn’t,” says a different voice from above. “At least, if I were you.”

You look up and see another soldier standing there, wearing a better looking uniform and with a sword at his hip.

And on either side of him, is a total of six archers, each with drawn bows. “You should put your weapons down and let Guardsman Eriv bring you to my office so we can… talk.”

Shiro_Nogard
2023-03-13, 09:43 AM
He was about to hear her words when the dreaded deep voice started talking. With one look at the sky 'why me?' He unstrapped his weapons and dropped them. "I just hope I dont end up nude. again." He muttered in Heide direction.

Izzarra
2023-03-13, 08:12 PM
Warlock, Celestial

Azzalix isn't holding any weapons at the time of the command, the crossbow that was left in her room with the armor last night is strapped to her pack and out of reach. She slowly takes off the pack and puts it on the ground and places the dagger from her belt on top.

At least they were getting a change to talk to somebody with some authority.

Archemist
2023-03-16, 07:55 PM
Heide joins the others in acquiescing. "Finally. We would be happy to talk to someone who knows something about... anything."

She gestures placatingly towards the archers, asking, "What, do you point your arrows at ALL the girls? Really now."

Lentrax
2023-03-18, 09:09 AM
"Yes. Especially when they have been identified as a potential hostile force."

The captain looks down to all of you. "Eriv, bring them to my office, please."

He calls down to all of you. "I hope you don't mind that my archers follow you as well, do you? No? Good.”

He disappears then and as you all step away from your weapons on the ground, a pair of guards gather it up, while another pair of armored guardsmen step in front of you and gesture in through the gate.

“This way, please.”

They lead you inside the gatehouse, and past a stairwell that leads up, presumably to the top of the wall.

Out the inner door you see the castle across the grounds, but you are lead instead to the right, where several short stone buildings are laid against the castle wall. Based on intuition, you assume these are the guardsmen’s barracks.

You are led into one of these buildings and led up a short staircase and one of the guards knocks on a door. A woman’s voice inside bids you to enter.

The guardsmen open the door, and you find yourselves ushered into a decently sized, if simple chamber that looks like an office. On the desk is the helmet you saw on the officer from atop the wall. He is sitting behind his desk and his hands are steepled together with his elbows resting in the desk.

Sitting at his left is a woman wearing a habit marking her as a member of the Royal Order of the Crescent, the only order sworn to serve the royal family itself.

“And here we are,” the man begins. “Now. Why don’t we start from the beginning, and you tell me who you are.”

Izzarra
2023-03-18, 01:07 PM
Warlock, Celestial

Azzalix chooses not to comment on the implication that she was part of a hostile force.
"I am Azzalix of the Berry Clan Trade Caravan. I was spending the night in the Lady's Favor and when I awoke someone, or something, left this armor..." she gestures at what she is wearing "... in my room along with a crossbow and some other stuff. Then when I sat down with these folk that had a similar experience I had a vision that something bad might happen in relation to the castle. This armor appears to be made bespoke for me, and the only reason I can think for it to have been left in my room is that I am supposed to use it for some purpose."

Lentrax
2023-03-19, 09:22 PM
"Well. That is one of you. Who is next?"

Shiro_Nogard
2023-03-20, 01:18 PM
Shifting from side to side a little he just settles once he scratches his chest.

"Guess I will go. Jake Dolem. Small time peddler. Like to make things. Sell trinkets and a few other things around. Also spend the night at the Lady's Favor. That's why we come as a group. Found the armor and little else." He knocked on his chest. "The difference, besides the lack of extra weapon is that." He looked resigned before speaking. "When I woke up there was a masked maid on the room. Once she saw me wake up she walked out the door." He awaited the same look as the guard by the door.

Archemist
2023-03-20, 01:45 PM
"Yes. Especially when they have been identified as a potential hostile force."

He calls down to all of you. "I hope you don't mind that my archers follow you as well, do you? No? Good.”

“And here we are,” the man begins. “Now. Why don’t we start from the beginning, and you tell me who you are.”

At the mention of a hostile force, Heide rolls her eyes quite noticeably. "Yes, a hostile force that was in the middle of walking away."

She doesn't really have "weapons" to drop but she sticks her shop-hammer and paring knife onto the pile before moving on.

When brought into the office, though, with the pair of questioners, she waits more patiently this time. "And I'm Heide Coppergear." She pauses for a moment, as if the very fact of being a dwarf in shiny new armor should explain everything, after what the others have already said. Then she continues, "I'm a clockwinder from 'Neathburg, certified to the nearest tenth-second, and I really don't know why you've given us each custom armor to be some kind of emergency team and then been so surprised and mean when we take the time to show up here as requested."

Lentrax
2023-03-20, 03:50 PM
The captain listens to each of you in turn. The story of the maid gets a raised eyebrow, but nothing else.

He listens to Heide.

“Your mistake, miss,” he starts. “Is assuming we had anything to do with what you are talking about.”

He gestures at Azzalix and Jake. “In fact, two of you have just admitted to having hallucinations. I think it far more likely that you each had a bit too much of the libations last night. Perhaps even something from the Mad Madam’s Maliciousness. She does tend to make drinks with some very… bespoke ingredients.”

Before Heide can speak again, he raises his hand to silence her.

“No, madam. We did not send for you. We did not provide you with gear. We did not request your presence. And thus far, you have very little to dissuade me of the notion that you may be some kind of poor attempt at assassination. You did, after all show up unannounced, armed, and requesting to see the Princesses.”

Izzarra
2023-03-20, 10:06 PM
Warlock, Celestial

He gestures at Azzalix and Jake. “In fact, two of you have just admitted to having hallucinations. I think it far more likely that you each had a bit too much of the libations last night. Perhaps even something from the Mad Madam’s Maliciousness. She does tend to make drinks with some very… bespoke ingredients.”
"Except I don't drink. I am an apothecary by trade and I am confident that I wasn't drugged."

“No, madam. We did not send for you. We did not provide you with gear. We did not request your presence. And thus far, you have very little to dissuade me of the notion that you may be some kind of poor attempt at assassination. You did, after all show up unannounced, armed, and requesting to see the Princesses.”
"I apologize for them asking to see the princess, it was bad etiquette on their part."

Lentrax
2023-03-20, 10:58 PM
"Except I don't drink. I am an apothecary by trade and I am confident that I wasn't drugged."

The captain leans back in his chair.

"Do you have any idea how many times I hear something similar from young women every week? You can be as confident in your belief as you want. But it still happens."

At this point the woman speaks. "And you still haven't given a reason for coming here."

Izzarra
2023-03-20, 11:26 PM
Warlock, Celestial

"Do you have any idea how many times I hear something similar from young women every week? You can be as confident in your belief as you want. But it still happens."
"Young women show up complaining of waking up next to bespoke armor worth what 40, 50 gold every week?"

At this point the woman speaks. "And you still haven't given a reason for coming here."
"We came to find out if there is something going on that we could help with, or at least try to find out what happened to us?"

Lentrax
2023-03-20, 11:35 PM
"Lady, if you're really that dense, I don't think you are a very good apothecary."

Shiro_Nogard
2023-03-21, 09:08 PM
"Lady, if you're really that dense, I don't think you are a very good apothecary."

"Look. I wasn't sure about coming here and finding out it was just a very expensive prank. Can we get the notes out?" Obtaining consent, he pulled her out and pushed her lightly onto the table. "The material of the letter is the same. Could it be from the same package? Also the ink. This takes time to dry. Otherwise it would be smeared or smudged on the back of each sheet. I suppose if they have reports from so many people they will have them recovered the occasional letter. That's what I wanted in the end. Give the information to someone who could make sense of it."
He stopped speaking waiting to see the interrogator's response. I actually wanted to target whoever would have the amount of money to do something on a large scale.

Lentrax
2023-03-21, 09:26 PM
'Well, this is certainly something. Certainly makes a hallucination less likely. But I sti-"

"Brother. Stop." The woman interjects, cutting him off. "You aren't helping. And frankly, I don't think these people have any idea of what they are trying to say. Except to try to get under your skin."

She turns to you. "There is a way for us to determine part of what you say. If you would permit us. It is not harmful, and will let us get some of this out of the way."

Izzarra
2023-03-21, 10:07 PM
Warlock, Celestial

"Like some lie detecting magic? Okay."

Shiro_Nogard
2023-03-21, 10:55 PM
"Well." He looks a little wary but squares when he sees Azzalix go for it. "Okay. I also don't like wasting people's time. So, do I need to do something in particular?"

Lentrax
2023-03-27, 03:21 PM
"No," the woman says. "Just keep speaking normally."

She waves her arm in a sweeping gesture, and speaks a few words of power. The air in the room shimmers for a moment, and then everything is back to normal.

For a few minutes, you all answer mostly the same questions as before, and after it is all done, the guard captain looks up to the woman. "They really do believe this? That they were chosen by some magical... fairy tale!?"

"It does seem that way, my brother. The only question is, what do we do with them? I am convinced they are no threat to us, and certainly not to the princesses."

"No, sister. We do have a second question."

She raises an eyebrow.

"The notes. If there is no problem, what did happen to these four people?"

"Mmm," she says in agreement. "What do you think we could, or even should do about it? I hardly see how it is our problem."

"It isn't. Not really," the captain agrees. "But that doesn't mean they don't want or need answers. This is their lives, after all."

"Fine. We send them to Velka. She may have an idea of what is happening to them."

"Very well, sister."

He turns to you. "It looks like we are going to be sending you along to Velka. She is a... well, she's eccentric."

"Because she is a wizard," the cleric adds.

"Becasue she is a wizard," the captain confirms. "But, she will hopefully have better answers for you as to what happened to you, or at the very least, have an idea of what to do for you."

Izzarra
2023-03-27, 10:13 PM
Warlock, Celestial

"Thank you for hearing us out. I look forward to meeting this Velka."

Shiro_Nogard
2023-03-28, 12:52 AM
He hears the brothers speak back and front about what happened. Wondering all the while where this would lead them.

"Thank you for hearing us out. I look forward to meeting this Velka."

He turns to Azzalix. "Lets hope so. As it is can't help but think this falls more on a lottery? I mean its more like 'scatter those things around and see what sticks' Than 'These are the chosen ones'."

"Also, lets not forget about the maid. I still stand by my idea that someone is pulling the strings. Still cant believe nobody saw her."

He follows however would lead them to this eccentric wizard.

Archemist
2023-03-30, 01:31 AM
Heide answers all the questions very truthfully - really, no need for all this magic rigamarole. After her initial disdain for the guards, she's been much more friendly and collegial with the two officials.

"Velka sounds almost like a dwarven name. She probably has more sense than most wizards, at least, even if she is a bit eccentric. Where is she?" Heide seems ready to get some answers even if it involves another trek across town.

Shiro_Nogard
2023-03-30, 03:23 PM
"Velka sounds almost like a dwarven name. She probably has more sense than most wizards, at least, even if she is a bit eccentric. Where is she?"

"That so? I have meet many dwarfs, but all of them were a little drunk." He took a moment to think about it. "But yeah. the no nonsense fits. At least about the ale in my experience."

Lentrax
2023-04-02, 10:00 PM
"You are," the captain begins as he gets up from his seat, "Very lucky. Because of the festival, Velka is here. Otherwise, you would have needed to cross the plains to get to her home. But she keeps a set of rooms here underground."

He moves to the door. "Considering what you have said, you can take your weapons back. I will take you down to Velka, and we will see what we can do for-"

There is a knock at the door.

"Uhh, Captain?" comes a voice after the captain calls to them.

The door opens and another guard is standing there. "We heard you had a group of people with an odd tale, and, uhh..."

"What is it, man?"

"Well," the guard says. "We, uhh, we have some more."

The captain sighs. "Fine. I am taking this group to Velka, we may as well take these with us as well. Who are th- No. I don't actually care. They can introduce themselves to each other as I take them down to the laboratories."

I will let you all introduce yourselves to each other, and let the new players get caught up and on board before I move the actual plot along.

Izzarra
2023-04-03, 12:24 AM
Warlock, Celestial

Azzalix looks around. "There are others?"

Archemist
2023-04-03, 01:24 AM
Heide Coppergear is short even as dwarves go, but she's large on force of personality. Not charm, per se, but she's a very straightforward and punctual person. She is quick-witted but not funny, strong but never competitive, and well-respected by her clan but not quick to respect others.

Her clothes are similarly practical and clean - as she takes back her little hammer and knife from the guards who'd confiscated them, each goes in its own little holster on her belt. Heide's most notable feature aside from her neat red braid is of course her shiny new leather armor, with its gleaming steel spikes.

http://worldsandexploits.wdfiles.com/local--files/character-guidelines-of-thaless/Heide%20Coppergear%20screenshot.png

She greets the newcomers each with a quick nod and a "Heide. Good day to you." She eyes them appraisingly.

Khosan
2023-04-03, 11:08 AM
In the center of the room, standing with his hands on his hips is a mottled black and brown tabaxi of medium height and similarly medium build, dressed in a brand new, brightly and gaudily painted set of leather armor, a basket-hilted rapier hangs from his belt and a small kite shield with a purple rose emblazoned on the front covers his traveler's pack. His ears perk up as Heide and Azzalix enter the room, a momentary look of concern crossing his face before returning to a gentle smile.

"Oh! Hello there!" He bows, quick but clearly practiced, "Pleasure to meet you, I'm H.B. Appledew - you can call me Bee. We were just getting acquainted here ourselves. Are you...Did you also...?" He gestures to his armor and taps his head.

"It was the damnedest thing.
Got up this morning after a rough night, put all this on like I'd always done, even though I'd never done!" H.B. starts without really waiting for an answer, "I mean, sometimes Mable brings me new costumes, but she had no idea what this get-up was about - she hadn't made anything like it and didn't even have the same paint colors on hand! And this thing is definitely not one of our props!" He partially unsheathes his shiny new rapier, "It's a good thing we figured that one out quick, before somebody got hurt. So I start asking around and no one had seen anyone but me go into my room, no one has any idea where these came from, nothing."

"I'd love to say it was fate that brought me here, but I actually was just wandering around the city hoping someone would recognize these clothes and say something. No one did, but for some reason when I passed this castle, I had a very strong feeling that something bad was going to happen here. And so," H.B. gestures broadly at himself, barely believing the absurdity of his own situation, "Here I am."

JNAProductions
2023-04-03, 01:17 PM
"Hello!" Ruby says as she comes in. She's dressed in leather armor, studded with metal for extra protection, and has a bow at her back, with daggers at her side. She doesn't seem quite comfortable with them yet-not untrained, but inexperienced, perhaps? She stands short, a little shy of 5', with auburn fur and wide, innocent eyes. "I'm Ruby-it's really nice to meet all of you!" she says with a bright smile.

She pauses a moment. "Did we all have the same dream? With... You know?"

Lentrax
2023-04-03, 02:48 PM
"It certainly seems so," the captain says as he begins leading you through back hallways.

"I already told some of you about this," he goes on as he leads you down a staircase. "But I am taking you all to see Velka, wizard and friend of the royal family."

The stairs wind down deeper, and you realize soon that you are underground. The walls transition from well cut stone, to rough hewn rock. Your footsteps echo as you proceed further down.

The captain reaches a landing, and turns off the stairs. He grabs a torch from a bracket nearby, and heads down a corridor. "Now, I told the others this already, but Velka can be... something. I don't really know how to describe her."

He leads you into another corridor, and you see a wooden door reinforced by iron bands.

“Here we are. Hopefully we will be able to get answers for you.”

He knocks on the door calling out Velka’s name, and it creaks open. The captain pushes it open further and calls out for the wizard again.

The first thing you see as you look in the room is a massive cauldron hanging over an open fire. It is bubbling and coassions splashes can be heard from inside. A light blue steam is coming from the cauldron and falls down the sides in waves, dissipating as it gets away from the fire.

Then you see the captain draw his sword as he moves further into the chamber. Looking where he is heading, you see a trail of what looks like it could be blood on the floor. The captain heads into the next room, but doesn’t take more than two steps before calling for the guard that accompanies all of you to go raise the guards.

You look in the room and are greeted by a sight that will likely stay in your memories forever.

Strands of deep violet light hold the body of a female Tiefling in the air by the wrists. She is mostly naked, but strips of what used to be very nice robes still hang over parts of her torso. The head has been removed and hangs suspended over her neck. Looking closer at her, you can also see that her arms have been severed at the wrists, elbows and shoulders. And her legs are severed in the same way. She was very clearly tortured for some time before she was allowed to die.

And then you see the wall of the chamber. Words have been written there. In blood.

One to sever, one to bind.
One to destroy that which took.
One to restore what was rent.
Twice split, twice restored.
Blood is, and blood was
And blood shall ever be.
One to cleanse and one to rinse.
The stain by stained hands shall be cleansed.

Shiro_Nogard
2023-04-03, 05:53 PM
It looked like the day was just starting to get 'interesting'. But he wasn't about to let that get to him...jet.

He raised a brow at finding a tabaxi. Then lifted a hand in greeting. "Welcome to this colorful group of apparently quite lucky individuals. One more head to start figuring things now."

JNAProductions
2023-04-03, 07:03 PM
Ruby chatters about nothing in particular as the captain leads them all to Velka's room. She silences herself when they reach the landing, out of courtesy to their new wizard friend. And then, upon seeing what's become of her, she stares for just a moment before looking away and vomiting onto the ground. "Gods... What... Why..." she manages to get out.

Izzarra
2023-04-03, 11:34 PM
Warlock, Celestial

The young Tiefling with golden eyes, violet skin, and lavender hair introduces herself to the new arrivals. "Hi, I'm Azzalix of the Berry Clan Trade Caravan. Apothecary by trade."

---

After being shown into Velka's room Azzalix stands aghast. She has seen illness, injury, and death before, but nothing like this. She looks to the guards "Is ... was that Velka?"

Shiro_Nogard
2023-04-04, 12:36 AM
The scene was grotesque. He had seen butchered prey treated with more respect. "However did this." He didn't continue as he was busy reaching a tool on his belt, feeling strangely safer with that on his hand.

"Keep it up. There might be someone still here." He wasn't sure, but it would keep everyone from focusing too much on that. The message wasn't a nice one. THAT was going to keep him up tonight. "Be ready to get out the way."

Doggie_arf
2023-04-04, 01:36 AM
There is a knock at the door.

"Uhh, Captain?" comes a voice after the captain calls to them.

The door opens and another guard is standing there. "We heard you had a group of people with an odd tale, and, uhh..."

"What is it, man?"

"Well," the guard says. "We, uhh, we have some more."

The tall, ash-blonde human slipped into the room behind her fellow batch of escortees, cursing under her breath as her new weapon banged against the door frame. The gigantic maul was far larger than any smith's hammer she had ever handled - while she could easily bear its weight, carrying it around without hitting things was still an issue.

At least she hadn't her clothes swapped for armor in the middle of the night. The weapons and the dreams had been troubling enough.

"Amalie," she said simply, when everyone looked to her to introduce herself. "Amalie of Nordheim. I'm - I was a blacksmith. Before all this happened."

Just a night ago, she had worried about finding work as an apprentice to one of the master smiths in the capital. And now she was...chosen? To be some sort of warrior hero? It was hard to believe.

----------

The first thing you see as you look in the room is a massive cauldron hanging over an open fire. It is bubbling and coassions splashes can be heard from inside. A light blue steam is coming from the cauldron and falls down the sides in waves, dissipating as it gets away from the fire.

Then you see the captain draw his sword as he moves further into the chamber. Looking where he is heading, you see a trail of what looks like it could be blood on the floor. The captain heads into the next room, but doesn’t take more than two steps before calling for the guard that accompanies all of you to go raise the guards.

You look in the room and are greeted by a sight that will likely stay in your memories forever.

Amalie stared in horror at the murder the guards had unwittingly led them to.

She had seen battered corpses before, having had to pull her uncle's body from the avalanche that had buried their home. But that had nothing on the...purposeful carnage hanging in front of her like some grotesque tavern puzzle. The dreams of Operia burning had been troubling enough - she was certain that this scene would haunt her nightmares for years to come.

The strangest thing was that she didn't feel like throwing up. In fact, as the half-elf (?) said that the murderer might still be around, she realized that she was gripping the handle of her maul tightly, as if she was ready to swing it at the first sign of violence.

Perhaps she was truly turning into some hardened warrior, like the tales told of her distant forebears. Or maybe she was just in shock. She wasn't certain which it was yet.

Lentrax
2023-04-04, 09:19 AM
The cauldron in the laboratory suddenly flares with bluish-white light, and a massive cloud of steam rises up and forms a hazy, translucent version of Velka.

Hello? Hello, is this working? I think it is. Anyway, this is Emergency Protocol three thousand, seven hundred, twenty six... A page rustles and you watch the wizards hands move ousid of the cloud. And a half. I really hope this is working. OKay. You are watching this if something has happened to me, like death, or transmutation. I may have turned into a jelly. If I have, please try me, and write down your critiques on a comment card. You are here seeing this because you have the mark, or maybe more than one of you do, if there is more than one of you here. I don't actually know how many of you are here since I am not around to count. Or maybe I am , just a jelly... ehmm... If there is more than one of you here... Oh! More comments for the jelly! Please, seriously, do try the jelly. I should have comments cards somewhere... oh, I do hope there is more than one of you here...

Velka turns and reaches for something outside of the steam. And then her hand is back and she is opening a tome, to scribble a note. emergency protocol.. three thousand... seven hundred twenty seven... comment... cards...

You hear the book slam shut and then she is talking again. Oh. Right. Protocol. Me. Gone. Maybe. Probably. Maybe a jelly. But you have the mark. I don't know when exactly this will happen. Maybe a week from now. Maybe a year. I don't know. That's why I am pre-recording all of these. But you have the mark. So you can probably do something about it. The twins. They have power. Like a lot of it. World changing amounts. Someone might want to do something with it. That's why I am here. To study them and figure out what it is. I have put all of my notes in a tome. Maybe two, depending on how long I have been able to study. OR three. One and a half? It's green. With a blue stone in the side. I am not sure where I put it. And I probably moved it since recording this. How long do I have again? No wait. It's blue, with a green stone. Maybe? You'll find it. It's about the twins.

Her voice begins to fade as the steam begins to dissapate. Maybe it was red... you hear a quill scratching as the voice fades out. Emergency protocol three thousand... seven hundred... twenty eight... remember... where...

The voice is gone. The cauldron settles down, the steam changes to a dim, violet color.

Shiro_Nogard
2023-04-04, 12:03 PM
After hearing all that Mark feel a little silly. He was feeling equals amount awe and respect for the witch. His eyes landed on the knight captain that brought them here and found that he earned triple that respect. Mark dealt with an eccentric dwarf that taught him and couldn't take it more than a year.

After a quick prayer to the witch he started looking for that green, blue or red book. His steps slow. "Lets hope that is still here." He was swaying a little still from all that. Probably barf once all things calm down.

Khosan
2023-04-04, 12:29 PM
H.B. covers his mouth with the back of his hand, taking a moment to process the grim sight of Velka's remains. "So it wasn't just a feeling then. Something truly wicked is afoot." He sniffs the air, his feline nostrils flaring. An act which he seems to realize is strange, even as he continues to take in the smell and approach the former wizard's remains.

H.B. uses his Divine Sense to see if he can identify something more about the scene. Definitely trying to find any hints of fiendish energy to follow up on.

JNAProductions
2023-04-04, 01:16 PM
Ruby's able to listen to the message, but is still feeling rather sick to her stomach. "Okay... Okay," she says, looking anywhere but at the grisly corpse. "We need... We need to find the twins, and the tome. Probably the tome first, since... Captain, sir, do you know anything about the twins? Who she might've been referring to? Where they might be?"

Archemist
2023-04-04, 07:12 PM
Heide is torn between the shock of meeting new dreamers and the shock of seeing... Velka, apparently, or what is left of her.

So shock. That's the general feeling. She looks at Jake and Ruby, astonished - "You're thinking about the tomes right now? With a killer on the loose?"

She looks around for someplace to sit down. "This is awful. Who would do this? Why? Guards all over Tyr's good earth and THIS right under their noses." She shakes her head. "And somebody signed US up to save... the twins? Obviously we're a bit late to save Velka."

Shiro_Nogard
2023-04-04, 09:16 PM
[QUOTE=Archemist;25749909]"You're thinking about the tomes right now? With a killer on the loose?"

"Then go run around like a head-less chicken." He answered bitter. "However did this had the leisure to do all that. There is only one door, one way in or out." He continued to look at the books. But wondered if the last part he said was true...

[roll0] Perception roll, to find the book.
[roll1] Perception roll, to find secret door.

Doggie_arf
2023-04-04, 10:58 PM
Amalie nearly did swing at the cauldron as it flared to life, barely stopping herself in time before she broke something or brained someone.

And then she just stared at the ghostly figure as it began speaking.

What surprised her the most was how distracted the dead wizard was. Velka did not rush her words with desperation - she rambled, like some drunken old grey-beard who had lost the plot of his tale. It was so much at odds with...what was left of her.

"The tome," Amalie managed at last, after the ghost had faded away. It was something to grasp onto in an increasingly unreal situation. "We should find it. It was her last request."

She just wished Velka had been clearer with her last words. Was it supposed to be green, or blue? There were about half a score of books that matched, although she didn't see any gems on their covers.

...tomes were books, right?

Izzarra
2023-04-05, 12:27 AM
Warlock, Celestial

Azzalix puts aside her revulsion and begins visually inspecting the body.
How long has Velka been dead?
Medicine: [roll0]

Khosan
2023-04-05, 07:35 AM
"Everything smells...normal? I don't know what I was expecting." H.B. coughs, turning his hand over to cover his nose as he approaches Velka's suspended remains. "I don't suppose anyone sees any comment cards, do they?" Even with his hand covering most of his face, his strained smile is still visible.

A thought occurs and he turns to Heide. Stepping away from the grizzly sight of Velka, the tabaxi places a hand on the dwarf's shoulder, "Sorry, I realize it's not a joking matter but, frankly, I'm not sure what to do. Or what else to do. But that poor woman," He nods back at the purple glow surrounding the body, while also carefully positioning his head so the corpse is not in Heide's direct line of sight from where she sits, "Sounded like she was...for one, under far too much stress - no one needs over three thousand emergency plans. But, more importantly, she had some idea of what was going on. If we want answers, it's best we start with her book." H.B. stands up with a sigh, looking around the room but not leaving to look for the book just yet, "I realize this is insane. All of this. Yesterday, my biggest concern was my boss getting too drunk. Today? I'm apparently 'marked' whatever that means, there's been a brutal murder, and the fate of the world might be up for grabs." He shrugs, "I don't know much about any of that. Only thing I know is do what you can when you can." With that, he offers a more genuine, less forced smile, and goes to join the other in searching for the ex-wizard's tome.

[roll0] looking for that book.

JNAProductions
2023-04-05, 02:25 PM
Her initial search a failure, Ruby takes to it to simply tidy what areas she can, making the way clear for more looking.

Lentrax
2023-04-05, 02:40 PM
“I would wager,” the captain begins, “that the twins mentioned are the Princesses. They are twins, after all.”

He walks over and around the body floating in the air, inspecting it as best he can without touching it.

“They are the logical assumption, though I could be wrong. But… if we, as I think we must, assume the tale about chosen heroes isn’t just a fairy tale, then all of you are here for a reason.”

“The problem is, that I saw the princesses this morning. They were fine. Velka on the other hand… I last saw her three days ago.”

Izzarra
2023-04-05, 09:55 PM
Warlock, Celestial

"My vision was rather vague and can be interpreted in different ways. It suggested that the castle would fall into proverbial darkness."

Doggie_arf
2023-04-06, 04:23 AM
"Must be a very twisted fairy tale," Amalie groused, as she picked through the last of her shortlisted books. None of them had any gemstones that she could see. "I saw the entire country burning. How would I stop that nightmare? If this is a jest, it's a cruel one. And someone's dead for it."

After all, she was just a blacksmith. And blacksmiths didn't hobnob with princesses and solve murders; they forged practical things with flame and metal -

Wait. Flame.

Amalie rushed back towards the cauldron, squinting at the fire heating its base. The vision of Velka had distracted her at first, but now she could see something gleaming amidst the burning logs...

"It's under the cauldron," she exclaimed. How had it not burned up? Perhaps the book itself was magic...

She hesitated for a moment, before thrusting her hand into the fire, reaching for the glow she'd seen.

Lentrax
2023-04-06, 10:48 AM
Reaching through the flames, Amalie expects her hand to get singed if not burnt outright.

But instead, a spreading feeling of coolness spreads where the flames meet her flesh. She grabs the book and pulls it out, and then she looks down at her prize.

A deep scarlet book, covered in green and blue gems in a pattern she can’t recognize.

The book, on the page inside the cover, is labeled, Notes on the twins, and links to prophecy and legend.

If you aren’t Velka, you best not read this!

Doggie_arf
2023-04-06, 12:19 PM
The searing pain Amalie had expected never came.

The roaring fire she'd just thrust her hand into was cool to the touch. She could feel the heat boiling off the cauldron, but the flames themselves did not burn her as she felt around for the shining...book.

No, "book" didn't do what she'd found justice. This was a magic tome.

"I found it," she breathed, admiring the intricate gemstone design of the cover. There was no sign of damage to the tome - Velka had clearly hidden it amidst the flames on purpose. For them to find?

With a start, Amalie remembered that she wasn't the only one here who had interest in what she held. "Um, we should find some place for everyone to read this."

Khosan
2023-04-06, 01:56 PM
H.B. drops the book he'd been leafing through shortly after Amalie finds the real one, "You got it?! Fantastic!" He looks just in time to see the blacksmith's hand coming out of the fire, "Are you alright? You must have some pain tolerance - didn't even scream a little, wow."

Archemist
2023-04-06, 08:10 PM
Heide gets up off the stack of books she'd been sitting on and they topple across the floor. Not that it really seems to matter given the state of the room.

She exclaims excitedly, "I've never seen such jewels!" She begins rummaging through her small pack and pulls out a magnifying loupe. She uses it to examine the book's cover and adds, "I suppose it's a mistake to judge a book by its cover, but this one IS amazing."

If the group migrates to another location to read the book, she follows of course. "That warning is a bit ominous. Do you think it's safe for us?" She stands back a bit if someone looks like they're going to just open it on up.

She's got the kit on her, since she's used to doing a lot of fixing of fancy timepieces. I'm not sure what exactly to roll, though - I'll do an Arcana check but let me know if something else would be better suited. Unfortunately I don't think she'd have much in the way of trapfinding experience. :smallbiggrin:

Heide arcana: [roll0]

JNAProductions
2023-04-06, 08:13 PM
"I think it'll be okay-she left a message instructing us to read through it," Ruby says. "That being said, we should still be careful," she adds, and does her best to help Heide check for traps or tricks.

I'll Help with that Arcana check, if that's okay.

If Helping isn't allowed, because the check was already rolled, I will instead roll my own Arcana.
[roll0]
Regardless of the roll, if Help is allowed, I'll be Helping. Don't matter if that roll is a nat 1 or a nat 20.

Doggie_arf
2023-04-06, 11:21 PM
"I'm used to fire," Amalie said simply as she let the others inspect the tome. "I think Velka did something - this didn't burn at all."

And she wasn't about to make it a habit. If that fire hadn't been enchanted...

Lentrax
2023-04-06, 11:40 PM
The tome is full. Giving it a quick flip through, you quickly see that every page is completely used. Slowing down a bit, you see that some pages have tight, cramped writing that fills every inch of the page. Other pages have large, flowing words, seeming to try and make connections through broad topics. On others are sprawling drawings of spell equations and diagrams of bodily organs and functions.

You aren't quite sure what you are looking for or why Velka said you would need it. But she should know what she was talking about, right?

JNAProductions
2023-04-07, 11:18 AM
"Wow," Ruby comments at the sheer volume of the writing. "Can we confirm the twins are the princesses, at least? And, um, captain, sir-did Velka have family? Anyone who'd need to know immediately what happened to her?"

Khosan
2023-04-07, 11:29 AM
"Or an apprentice, maybe? Who might be able to read this." H.B. follows Ruby's question with one of his own.

Lentrax
2023-04-07, 03:53 PM
“Velka didn’t,” the captain says, “have an apprentice that I knew of.”

As you thumb through the pages, you get more an impression that there is less you need to decode or decipher, and more that you just to put some time in and read through it to find the pertinent information.

Shiro_Nogard
2023-04-07, 08:11 PM
"Is there any page that talks about possible assassins? I mean she went to the trouble of having comment cards. Even if I am sure they will be a complete chaos?" He finished weakly. "Could there be a second book?"

Khosan
2023-04-08, 11:03 PM
"Right, well, I think I can trust the rest of you to give me the rundown with...all of that," he gestures at the book in a way that makes it very clear that reading is not among H.B.'s strong suits. Instead he goes to speak with the guard captain, "Captain, maybe it's best we go see the twins in person. I don't know much about prophecy, but if other people believe in it strongly enough to do something as deeply unsettling as all of this," he points at Velka's remains, then the blood writing on the wall, "I think they've got big plans in motion. Also, to be honest? I feel sick every time I see Velka's body like that and I would really like to be in a different room."

I'll roll a [roll0] just in case it's needed to persuade the captain to take us to see the twins.

Lentrax
2023-04-09, 09:15 PM
“Yes…” the captain says slowly as he makes one last scan of the room.

“Yes, let’s leave this for now. Come out to the corridor with me.”

He ushers all of you out of Velka’s chambers and into the corridor just as ten guards are arriving. They salute the captain with a fist to their armor. The captain returns the salute, then begins issuing orders.

“This room is sealed to the Crest. Only members of the Order are allowed inside for any reason. I will speak to Celvan about sending another ten guards down. I want ten men on duty at this door at all times until the matter is resolved.”

The guards nod. “Yes, sir.”

That done, the captain leads you up out of the lower levels of the castle and back into lighter spaces. I don't know who you all are, really, or what your part in any of this is. But apparently someone really thought it had to be you. Let's see what we can figure out about this. Once I check on the princesses, we can try and figure out what you are here for."

He continues on as he leads you up stairways, and through halls that are well lit by windows. Many of these are carpeted so that your boots and shoes do not make clacking echoes in the halls like you noticed in some of the other places in the castle.

"Normally, at this time of day, the princesses are being tutored. Though that is changing as they have had to begin taking over responsibilities in rulership. But they still take time in the Royal Library. That is where we are headed now."

Soon enough, you arrive at a set of double doors sitting at the T-shaped intersection of two corridors. The captain opens the door, and peeks inside. "Majesties? May we enter?"

You can't hear the response, but the captain opens the door, steps inside, and gestures at all of you to enter.

"Your Royal Highnesses, may I introduce..." He names each of you in turn, providing no time for greeting between each of your names. When he is finished, he bows deeply. "And these are our Royal Highnesses, the Princesses Faith and Hope Operia."

The princesses are twins, in truth, and you are not sure how to identify one from the other. When they were first spoken to, they both turned to face all of you. Their strawberry blonde hair seemed to have even been curled in identical patterns.

"And what," one of them asks after all the proper introductions and pleasantries are concluded, "can we do for you, Captain? Surely you didn't bring these folk here for a simple introduction."

"Yeah," the second princess says after. "After all, you usually only really concern yourself with national security matters, right?"

JNAProductions
2023-04-10, 12:29 AM
"Hello," Ruby says. "Um, your majesties. Hello, your majesties. We were all given a portent-a dream, an omen, a warning... And we came to see Velka. But she's... She's dead. Brutally so," she continues, taking a moment to steady herself and breathe deeply. "But she had prepared something in case she passed, and it told us that we had a mark, and that you two had power. I... I'm not entirely sure what we're supposed to be doing, but we're here to help."

She offers a small smile, and hopes that they understand the gravity of the situation.

Khosan
2023-04-10, 11:39 AM
“Yes, let’s leave this for now. Come out to the corridor with me.”

"Thank you." H.B. offers some assistance in ushering everyone out, doing his best to once again block line of sight to the body. Passing the incoming guards, he forces a reassuring half-smile and gives them a word of advice, "Brace yourself, friends."

H.B. bows deeply and very performatively to the princesses; one foot behind the other, right hand over his heart and his left swept out to the side, bowing a perfect ninety degrees at the waist. He nods along to Ruby's explanation, "Even if you don't believe in prophecies, the murder of someone so close to the crowns is cause for concern. That the culprit then took the time to write a message in blood alluding to your highnesses, all the more so."

Izzarra
2023-04-10, 11:41 AM
Warlock, Celestial

Azzalix has never been in the presence of royalty before. She curtsies nervously.
"Azzalix of the Berry Clan Trade Caravan your majesties."
She fidgets with the hem of her armor. Then stops and tries to stand still not sure of the proper etiquette.

Lentrax
2023-04-10, 01:50 PM
"What do you mean, alluding to us?"

'And if they went after Velka, why have they not come for us? Velka is powerful. I doubt she would have went out without a fight that would have alerted us all to something going on."

JNAProductions
2023-04-10, 06:55 PM
"We have a book-a tome, left behind by Velka," Ruby tells the princesses. "There should be more information in there, but we haven't had the time to read it through properly ourselves."

Archemist
2023-04-10, 07:14 PM
Heide does a little curtsey, which while technically correct still seems out of place, given that she's dressed for travel and fighting, not a royal audience.

"I'm so sorry to be the bearers of the sad news about Velka. This is all very sudden for the six of us as well.

"Maybe studying the book further would be the best approach, but Velka seemed to think you were extraordinary, and powerful in your own right, and not just for being princesses. Did she ever mention why she'd think that, or why she'd be studying you?

"And did she have enemies?"

Doggie_arf
2023-04-10, 10:57 PM
"A-Amalie. Of Nordheim, your Majesties," she stammered, trying not to show her nerves. Part of Amalie still wondered what she was doing here in the palace, telling the royal princesses about the murder. But there seemed no way out but forward.

"Velka...we found her bound. And tor-killed. I do not think she could fight back, or warn anyone. She did hide her notes from her killers. And I think we should heed them."

Lentrax
2023-04-11, 01:25 PM
One of the princesses, Faith, you think, gets up and moves over to where a tea tray is set. She waves off the maid who begins reaching for the teapot, and then pours herself a cup. She turns back to all of you as she takes a sip of the tea.

"Velka fought back. I am sure of it. Powerful wizards have quite a few tricks for situations, I am told."

The other princess, Faith, you think, nods in agreement. "Probably. But to answer your questions, no, I did not know she was studying us. Not like that. You see, she did try and teach us magic-"

"But we weren't able to do much."

"We can't even make sparks. They finish together.

Izzarra
2023-04-12, 12:17 PM
Warlock, Celestial

Unaccustomed to speaking to royalty Azzalix works up the courage to voice a question, though she looks at their feet to avoid eye contact.
"Your majesties, is there anyone else in the castle that Velka might have confided in that we could talk to?"

Lentrax
2023-04-12, 02:14 PM
Aside from Father… hmm…

Yes, she did have long talks with Father about all sorts of things from what we understand.

And from what the servants understand, some of the… talks went all night.

Faith sets down her teacup and sets a hand to her head.

There was something else… something, deep. What was it… It seems like I should… remember…

And as she rubs her fingers against her forehead, trying to recall what she thinks she should know, a trickle of sparkling dust begins to fall, and looking at where she is rubbing, you can see that her fingers are rubbing furrows into her skin which seems to be crystallizing at the spot she is rubbing.

Hope? the other sister asks, in a voice that is suddenly tinted with concern and no longer a singsong. Hope? Are you alright? I’m starting to feel… funny…

And as the captain rushes toward them, both princesses leap from their seats, their skin crystallizing Hope turning white, Faith turning Black. As the two women try to scream, their mouths turn to dust, and only a moaning wind issues from them, the dust white and black collapsing inward and down, out the bottom of the dresses. As they lose form, the dresses begin to fall, and the Captain manages to catch one of the dusty forms as it falls, but it doesn’t stop the transformation, and the dust falls out of the dress, leaving the finely made garment in his arms.

You hear a think from where the princesses were before they changed.
There were two distinct thumps, not metallic to suggest blades. It sounds like if you dropped a sack onto a cobblestone road.
Is that… Is that laughter in the background?

Khosan
2023-04-12, 02:50 PM
H.B.'s eyes widen and his jaw drops as the princesses turn to dust, at a total loss for what he just saw. With a thought baffled expression on his face, he frantically looks around the room for the origin of whatever spell disintegrated the princesses, all the while mumbling, "What the hell. What the hell. What the hell."

JNAProductions
2023-04-12, 03:04 PM
"Check the windows! I think they might've been transported, not killed," Ruby says, dashing from window to window and looking for the princesses.

I've got 120' of movement to spend checking the windows, thanks to Dash and Feline Agility. If I don't need more than 60', I won't use Agility.

I read through the second spoiler-really hope someone gets to all them!

Lentrax
2023-04-12, 06:45 PM
Ruby is very suddenly at the windows to the library, massive two-story tall monuments to the wealth of the kingdom. Looking out the windows, she does not see anything amiss. Despite the scene in the library, the world outside carries on as it should.

No need to use agility. I am fine with it being flavorful in a non-combat situation.

Doggie_arf
2023-04-13, 02:49 AM
"Someone spirited them away," Amalie managed in agreement with Ruby, her eyes still locked on the dusty garments which were all that remained of the royal twins.

The blacksmith calmed herself as she tried to recall what had happened, as though she was listening to the very steel she was trying to forge. There had been something else, behind the princesses' spectacular disappearance...

"There was the sound of bodies on stone. Whoever stole them is on the roads. And they were laughing. Are laughing." She realized that the laughter hadn't stopped. "We may not be alone."

Izzarra
2023-04-13, 12:49 PM
Warlock, Celestial

Azzalix stands in shocked horror, her wings and tail drooping to the ground. It takes a few moments to process what just happened.
"SPIRITED AWAY!!?! They were turned to dust and their cloths are on the floor." She looks to the maid. "Does this castle have a clergy, get them NOW!"

Doggie_arf
2023-04-13, 10:13 PM
"Um. That was a - they were captured. Transported. By magic." Amalie replied to the panicking tiefling. Did they say things differently in the capital?

The blacksmith walked over towards where the guard captain was standing. "I saw something in that dress," she said. "A red gem. Might be how it was done."

She still felt calm and focused as she reached the raised...dais? Where the princesses had vanished. The laughter had stopped - had she been mistaken about the culprit being here? Or had they left something else behind?

Lentrax
2023-04-14, 09:11 AM
“A gem?”

The captain lifts up the dress, and indeed, a red stone tumbles out, sending up a cloud of the dust it lands in.

He reaches down and picks it up, and looks at it.

“The shape is familiar somehow…” he says. Then he turns to the other pile of dust.

“Someone see if there is another gem inside Faith’s dress.”

There is indeed another gem there, and as you look at the two gems, you realize what is familiar about the shapes. They are shaped in the likeness of a human heart.

This kind of gemstone is typically the focus of an extensive ritual.
The fact that it is a specific shape, hewn from blood red crystal, lends itself to being used for very black magic.
The fact that it is in the shape of human heart, means the ritual was likely to create a pair of doppelgängers of some kind. To trick people into thinking the princesses were still there.

JNAProductions
2023-04-14, 11:44 AM
"What does it mean?" Ruby asks.

Archemist
2023-04-14, 06:48 PM
Heide looks like she's about to say something unhelpful in answer to Ruby's question, but then switches gears and finds she can contribute, surprising even to herself.

She squints at the heart and says, curious, "More gems! And these of a sort for the blackest of magic. So I'd say the princesses themselves have turned evil, except that would be unbelievable even on a day like today. More likely, someone has used magic to either kidnap them, possess them, curse them, or kill them. But I'd guess kidnap, since we got the message 'Save Us', after all." She pauses and does some quick mental math.

"But that means they probably haven't been themselves since yesterday. Maybe the same time as Velka... well, you know."

She looks around at the others to see if anybody else has more to add. "Gems and more gems. Any other day, we'd have thought we struck it rich. But I wouldn't touch those hearts with a ten-foot pole. And I'm still surprised the journal didn't just explode when we opened it."

Lentrax
2023-04-15, 01:25 PM
The captain looks at the gems with a mix of revulsion and fear.

“I don’t know what it means. I don’t know what is happening. But something is tickling the back of my mind.”

He hands over the crystal he is holding.

“But I know someone who may. Teflick, the high priest of the local temple. He is very old, but his memory reaches back a long time. He may be able to help piece this together.”

JNAProductions
2023-04-15, 01:27 PM
"Heide, is there a way to safely transport these? That you know of?" Ruby asks. "It might help the priest to see the focuses, but I don't want anyone else getting hurt."

Izzarra
2023-04-15, 09:15 PM
Warlock, Celestial

Despite what the others are saying, Azzalix doesn't think that they were transported, it looks more like transmutation.
She examines the contents of the teapot.
Background Feature: By spending a few minutes examining a chemical, a vial of liquid, a packet of ground powder, plant, or the like, you can determine whether the substance is intended to harm or heal (or neither). This examination does not reveal any specific information about the substance (such as that a powder is actually an inhaled poison, or that it paralyzes its victim), only that it is either harmful or helpful to those that it is used on.

Khosan
2023-04-15, 10:31 PM
"Here," H.B. removes the pouch from his belt and holds it open for the stones, "I'll carry them. I don't know much about 'black magic', but they're rocks, right? How bad could they be?" He gingerly takes the jewels in hand, sniffs one, shrugs, and places them both in his pouch.

Izzarra
2023-04-16, 02:53 PM
Warlock, Celestial

"It wasn't the tea that did this."

Azzalix looks at the gems. "We should wrap them in linens so they are protected. If their cloths are here then the princesses aren't decent."

She turns to the maid. "We need some linens to protect the gems and appropriate cloths for the princesses in case we are able to find them."

JNAProductions
2023-04-16, 03:10 PM
"Where's the temple?" Ruby asks the captain. "We'll leave for it as soon as we can."

Lentrax
2023-04-17, 12:54 AM
Each of the crystals is the size of a heart, so they do not easily fit inside a single pouch. But you get them put away for you to carry with you.

“It isn’t terribly far,” the captain says.

He provides directions to the temple. It is in the city, perhaps an hour or so from the castle.

“Understand that I wouldn’t normally ask you to do this,” the captain continues.

“But I cannot ignore the stories. The legends. Or the warning given to us from beyond by Velka."

He steps up to the window to look out across the city of Operia. His hand grips the hilt of his sword, and he bows his head before turning back to face you.

"You told me that yesterday, you were just people. I am asking you to do more than you ever believed you could. I am asking you to serve the throne, and to help me solve this mystery."

And as he speaks, you feel the weight of the words. You are being asked to step into the shoes of adventurers. Of heroes from the old stories. Of the legends who would risk everything for the chance at glory.

Doggie_arf
2023-04-17, 11:16 AM
"You would ask me to help? Not that I'm unwilling, but I don't know what I can do against that kind of magic."

Amalie shuddered as she glanced towards the gems that were what remained of the princesses, now thankfully hidden from sight. What could she do against...whoever did that? The royal twins had disappeared right in front of them, and Velka had been killed without anyone in the castle being the wiser.

The weapon on her back - the one she had found after that night of nightmares - felt more like a shackle now. Being some kind of warrior hero just didn't seem useful in the face of princess-kidnapping magic. It was frustrating - not just being chosen, but feeling - realizing - that being chosen might not be enough.

JNAProductions
2023-04-17, 01:22 PM
Ruby nods. "We will see them safely back," she says, her voice confident in the strength of her and her new friends. Whether or not that confidence is warranted is entirely another matter, but in her heart, she can feel the passion. "Thank you for your assistance-I'm sure we'll be seeing you again."

With the words spoken, she sets off for the temple. Her demeanor is serious, but not too grim-she feels like a part of a story, and stories have happy endings. At least, the stories she knows do.

Lentrax
2023-04-18, 11:08 AM
The domes of the temple reach up toward the heavens. And as you head across the city, the domes grow larger.

You enter the temple and soon find yourself walking into the central dome, the hollow center, where sunlight is able to come in through the openings in the dome, to filter down to the altars and and seating for those in attendance. And even now, petitioners are still seeing clerics and assistants and clergy members of all kinds.

And it isn’t long before a young woman in the flowing gold and scarlet robes of an acolyte of Tyr approaches you. Her long blonde hair is pulled back into one braid that rests over her right shoulder, and you can see a scar running down the left side of her face, near to her ear.

“Fair morrow to you, adventurers. And what can we here at the Temple of All aid you with?”

Khosan
2023-04-18, 12:57 PM
H.B. looks down at his hands, frowning. What the hell am I even doing here? The tabaxi wonders to himself as the weight of the captain's words begins to sink in and his stomach suddenly drops out from under him.

Here he was, a circus performer, standing where the royal family should be, now being trusted with the fate of their kingdom. He'd been chosen? For what? At best, he was trained in stage combat and was a fine juggler, but was that worth this level of responsibility? Surely, he should be back with the professor and the rest of his troupe. They needed him, after all.

But so did the princesses. And they were just kids.

Thoughts still racing, he takes a deep breath and focuses on that final fact. Somewhere, two kids were in trouble, and he might be able to help. He places a hand on Ruby's shoulder, offering up a "Damn right we will," at her proclamation.

H.B. hadn't visited many temples in his life, what few he did were ramshackle wooden constructions, held together (sometimes literally) by a hope and a prayer. He's stunned not just by the scale of the temple, but the artwork and statues within. He nearly walks into the young acolyte, as he turns every which way to take it all in.

"Oh! Sorry! Yes, fair morrow," he bows sheepishly, "We were looking for High Priest Ormen. It's an urgent matter, we'd like to discuss with him immediately. Where could we find him?"

Archemist
2023-04-18, 03:48 PM
Heide nods as the Captain is speaking - somehow, recognizing that this mission is “official” is like flipping a switch in her head. Shrugging off hopes of heading home to resume her regular duties, now she accompanies the others to the temple without comment or complaint.

Lentrax
2023-04-19, 05:02 PM
“I didn’t think anyone would ask for him directly. At least not so soon after…”

She gives a slight shake of her head, as though to clear it. “No, wait. Not out here. Please. Follow me."

She leads you through a side hall and toward a stairwell leading down. As you descend the stairs, the woman begins speaking.

"You see, we have a problem. Three days ago, Ormen became concerned with something he had observed. He did not share what it was with us, but he went down into the archives to find something."

She opens a door to what turns out to be a study. Books line one of the walls, and there is an astronomical apparatus built into the far wall. It appears to track the stars and other things visible in the night sky.

“This is his personal study. He left here for the archives, and as I said, we haven’t seen him since. I hate to ask, but you are adventurers. Could you go down and find him?”

Izzarra
2023-04-19, 11:38 PM
Warlock, Celestial

With images of Velka's decapitated body still fresh in her mind, Azzalix clutches her silver amulet filled with holy salt and prays that they will find Ormen safe and sound.

Archemist
2023-04-20, 01:28 AM
Heide says, "Certainly. We will find Ormen and get some answers."

She looks around as she says this, as if perhaps there are footprints to follow or chalk marks on the wall. She asks the young woman, "Are the archives dangerous? Just big? What's down there?"

Doggie_arf
2023-04-20, 11:13 AM
At any other time, Amalie would have been amazed by the scale of the Temple of All.

But the grand domes had little effect after her visit to the royal castle, and all that had happened within. Despite the guard captain's plea and the predictions (?) left by the late Velka, the blacksmith still felt woefully unprepared for their...quest? Yes, a quest like those in stories. And their unseen foes were several steps ahead while she was still hammering blindly.

The news of the High Priest's absence did not help matters.

"This sounds like Velka all over again." She glanced at the others, certain that at least some of them were thinking the same thing. "We should head to the archives now."

The priestess calling them - calling her - adventurers unsettled Amalie, but she didn't want to waste time correcting her. Anything could have happened to the High Priest during the last three days. And she was tired of playing catch up.

JNAProductions
2023-04-20, 11:43 AM
"Echoing my friend's question-are the archives dangerous? Or is it just a matter of searching carefully?" Ruby says.

Lentrax
2023-04-20, 11:55 AM
She walks over to the desk stacked with papers and starts trying to organize the chaos there.

"Ordinarily, I would say that they are not. But the catacombs are down there as well. And while we do what we can to keep things... calm.... Sometimes, things do, well.. awaken."

She sighs as she seems to give up on the organization for now.

"We often send acolytes down as a part of their testing. But we can't right now. That is why I am asking you."

JNAProductions
2023-04-20, 11:57 AM
Ruby nods. "We'll get to him. We'll see him and us out safely."

Lentrax
2023-04-21, 10:44 AM
“Do you need anything to prepare yourselves? We don’t have much, but I will try to help as much as we can.”

JNAProductions
2023-04-21, 11:16 AM
Thinking a moment, Ruby asks "Do you have any potions that might be useful? Or charms, or anything of the sort? We can return them if they don't get used, but better safe than sorry."

Khosan
2023-04-21, 07:34 PM
"Ooh! Potions, yes! That's much better than what I was thinking. I was going to ask for bandages, or some spare cloth to use as bandages. Maybe some whiskey. But potions are much better." H.B. nods in agreement, fiddling with his new shield.

Lentrax
2023-04-23, 03:35 PM
“Of course,” the acolyte says. “Let me go see what we have that can be spared. I don’t know how much can be, but we will see…”

She swiftly exits the room and leaves you all alone for the first time since you awoke this morning, in the light of a new life.

JNAProductions
2023-04-24, 10:02 AM
In the absence of the acolyte, Ruby's natural smile starts to fade. She's thinking of the body they've already seen, the disappearance of the princesses, and the potential dangers ahead. "We can do this," she says, her voice uncertain. "Right?"

Khosan
2023-04-24, 10:24 AM
H.B. after a solid minute of struggling, finally gets his shield affixed to his arm. He looks around at the others and tries to size them up. "I suppose," he begins, "While we have a moment, let's do a quick run down of what skills we have to offer."

The tabaxi removes several daggers from his bag and starts juggling with them, "I work, or I suppose used to work, in a circus." One knife bangs off his shield and clatters to the ground, "Balls." He swears, catching the other two, and bends over to pick up the third from the floor, stashing them back in his pack, "Sorry. I'm pretty good at that under normal circumstances. I've also got a couple knife throwing routines and I'm trained in stage combat, I just have to ignore that impulse to miss." H.B. looks down at his hands, slightly shaking until he balls them up, "Bit of nerves isn't helping either."

Archemist
2023-04-24, 11:19 AM
Heide watches H.B.’s demonstration skeptically.

She says simply, “I am not a warrior either. I keep clocks running smoothly and know just enough about magic and such to dislike it. But I’m no coward - if there’s some evil at work here we’ll face it.”

She tries for a reassuring smile at Ruby but it looks a little forced. Heide finishes her prep by pulling a torch out of her pack and saying, “I’m used to the undercity and I see just fine in the dark but I’m happy to provide light for those of you that have your hands full.”

Izzarra
2023-04-24, 10:23 PM
Warlock, Celestial

"I deal with herbs, medicines, and poisons. Never had to do any fighting before. Somebody left this crossbow in my room this morning, not sure if I am any good with it."

Doggie_arf
2023-04-25, 01:33 AM
"I've not fought before, either. I'm used to hammering metal, not people."

Amalie looked glumly at the weapon she had been granted, and then at her hands. "I wonder why we were chosen for this..."

Archemist
2023-04-25, 09:37 PM
"I've not fought before, either. I'm used to hammering metal, not people."

Amalie looked glumly at the weapon she had been granted, and then at her hands. "I wonder why we were chosen for this..."

"It must be for some reason, though I admit the particulars are a mystery. I think it makes sense for the Princesses to have chosen outsiders just in case they are in danger from someone IN the royal court or military. And I'm a very reliable and respectable person so while I'm a little surprised they've heard of me, I can kinda see why they would want someone like me." Heide looks around at the group again. "I suppose it takes all kinds, though. And I agree with you, it seems like they picked us for reasons besides fighting."

She sighs. "When we find them we can ask, I suppose."

Khosan
2023-04-26, 12:01 PM
"Question of the hour, isn't it?" H.B. scratches behind one of his ears, "I'm trying to focus on the two kids in trouble, wherever they are. Cause I won't lie - I don't think I belong here any more 'n the rest of you. I dunno why I was chosen or who chose me, fate, gods the princesses, whoever. None of that matters though. It can't matter. Not when innocent lives are in danger. They have to come first."

Lentrax
2023-04-29, 10:44 AM
The acolyte returns, her robes swishing around her as she comes back in with a cloth-wrapped bundle.

“We have only two potions that we can spare. We do ask that you return them if they do not get used. I have also wrapped up a loaf of bread for each of you, and included a wheel of cheese and some dried meats and berries.”

She hands the bundle over to whoever takes it first. “If you are ready, I can lead you to the entrance to the archives. Do you have any more questions while we are on our way?”

JNAProductions
2023-04-29, 01:05 PM
"The potions are just healing ones, right?" Ruby asks. "But, uh, I think we're as ready as we'll ever be!"

We should give the potions, one each, to the most durable PCs. I don't think that's me.

Khosan
2023-04-30, 07:04 PM
H.B. takes one of the potions. He holds it up to one eye, staring at the liquid within quizzically as he swirls it around, "Huh. So we just drink these? Neat. Hopefully, we'll be able to get both back to you, but needs must when the devil rides." He smiles to the acolyte and stows the potion he took in his pack.

Archemist
2023-04-30, 07:16 PM
Heide will take the other potion, since no one else is jumping up to do so. She nods agreement with Ruby, saying, "Onwards, then. And we'll try to get Ormen back quickly."

As the party walks, Heide will be examining the stonework and seeing if she can place its origin or any clues about how it's laid out. She'll also make little scratches with her dagger on bookcases, etc. to try to aid them getting back to the entrance eventually.

Heide is a dwarf so she'll do dwarven stuff. History regarding stonework for the archives: [roll0].

Doggie_arf
2023-05-01, 07:32 AM
Seeing the food reminded Amalie that she hadn't eaten anything since morning.

"Um. Thank you," she said to the acolyte, reaching for one of the wrapped loaves. Her stomach turned as she remembered what she'd seen today, but she forced herself to take a bite.

"You should eat," the blacksmith said to the others between mouthfuls. "We need to keep our strength up."

I can do without a potion. Think the frontliners like Amalie may have their hands full, actually.

Lentrax
2023-05-01, 01:27 PM
"The potions are just healing ones, right?" Ruby asks. "But, uh, I think we're as ready as we'll ever be!"

We should give the potions, one each, to the most durable PCs. I don't think that's me.

"Alright then. This way, please!"

H.B. takes one of the potions. He holds it up to one eye, staring at the liquid within quizzically as he swirls it around, "Huh. So we just drink these? Neat. Hopefully, we'll be able to get both back to you, but needs must when the devil rides." He smiles to the acolyte and stows the potion he took in his pack.

"We do hope so as well. But, if they must be used, then use them."

Heide will take the other potion, since no one else is jumping up to do so. She nods agreement with Ruby, saying, "Onwards, then. And we'll try to get Ormen back quickly."

As the party walks, Heide will be examining the stonework and seeing if she can place its origin or any clues about how it's laid out. She'll also make little scratches with her dagger on bookcases, etc. to try to aid them getting back to the entrance eventually.

Heide is a dwarf so she'll do dwarven stuff. History regarding stonework for the archives: [roll0].

As you walk down the corridors the acolyte leads you down, all of the architecture is rather plain and boring. You deduce that it has no need for ornamentation because it is mostly only for getting around the temple in short order. You saw much more ornamented hallways elsewhere, and you imagine them to be for leading the public in to see various figures, making a much more interesting approach for grander impressions.

But the first time you try to carve a mark into something, the acolyte asks you not to.

Seeing the food reminded Amalie that she hadn't eaten anything since morning.

"Um. Thank you," she said to the acolyte, reaching for one of the wrapped loaves. Her stomach turned as she remembered what she'd seen today, but she forced herself to take a bite.

"You should eat," the blacksmith said to the others between mouthfuls. "We need to keep our strength up."

I can do without a potion. Think the frontliners like Amalie may have their hands full, actually.

The bread is plain, but good and still warm. Each bite seems to fill you with that warmth, and you feel a bit calmer when you are finished. A bit more rested.

The acolyte eventually stops at a stairwell that spirals down out of sight some twenty feet away. The stairs are long and wide, and Heide, with her Dwarven stonecutting knowledge is able to deduce that these stairs are cut so that the dead can be carried down them with less chance of a misstep causing them to drop the dead to be interred below.

"Well. Here we are," the acolyte says. She reaches into her robes, and after a moment, she withdraws an iron ring with a singular key hanging from it. She holds the key out to you, expectantly.

"The archives are downstairs. The last piece of advice I can give you is caution. There are dangers in the archive, and risks to every chamber. Ordinarily, I would say that Faith would guard your path, but this is not a Testing. Instead, I offer you good luck. And may Tyr guide your steps to victory."

The acolyte leaves you there, and you have a moment to gather your thoughts before you go down the stairs.

The stairs wind down, and Heide can tell you as you descend that you are about two hundred feet below ground when you arrive at the landing at the bottom. The landing opens into a chamber with a large table in the center. The walls are lined with shelves that contain a multitude of objects. Jars that have labels, some bearing the names of herbs, some with just a simple design of symbols. Bundles of fabrics in a multitude of colors. Bowls. Ewers, some filled with water, some with oils.

At one end of the table is a large bowl, presumably for mixing. Everything is neat and clean, and it is obvious this room is well taken care of.

Looking beyond the chamber, you find a set of double doors, polished so the ebon wood gleams in the light of the two torches that glow on either side of it. But at the same time, those doors seem to draw in the light, and almost seem to... loom in the dim, shadowy light.

JNAProductions
2023-05-01, 01:31 PM
Taking a deep breath, Ruby looks to her companions. She holds a dagger in one hand, but takes the key in the other. "Right. Let's go."

And she unlocks the door.

Archemist
2023-05-01, 04:29 PM
Heide follows, drawing her little hammer and giving it a practice twirl as she crosses the room. She inspects the doors, gazing admiringly up at them and then laying a hand flat against their surface before she opens the left one, marveling at its void-like appearance. "Everywhere else down here, it's practical architecture. But no, somebody had to make this particular set of doors... ominous." She sighs at the melodramatics.

Izzarra
2023-05-01, 10:27 PM
Warlock, Celestial

Azzalix fidgets with the unloaded crossbow nervously, but is otherwise ready to enter.

Khosan
2023-05-02, 10:34 AM
"Guess this is where we cross the threshold, huh? Heh." H.B. nervously chuckles at his own little joke, readies his sword and shield, and stands with the others.

Doggie_arf
2023-05-02, 10:56 PM
Her last meal felt like a leaden ingot in Amalie's stomach as they finally reached their destination after what felt like endless flights of stairs.

The heavy, darkwood doors before them seemed to...merge with the shadows, even with all the light from the torches around them. Looking at them, she could easily believe that something terrible was lurking behind them.

Gulping, she reached for the hilt of the - her - maul as she waited for the doors to open.

Lentrax
2023-05-03, 10:08 AM
As you open the door, you are greeted by the sight of bones. So many bones. They line the walls. They may be the walls. Bones of all kinds, in neat rows. Thigh bones, arm bones. Entire rows made up of skulls. Finger and toe bones fill the gaps, and skeletal hands reach out from the walls to hold torches that glow with blue light. As you step into the room you hear skittering of something moving inside the bones.

The lines of bones lead your eyes to the two exits from the room, one a staircase leading down to darkness, and the other being a door with a tiefling's skull mounted on it, its horns twisting upward in a slow spiral.

Archemist
2023-05-03, 03:29 PM
"Wouldn't be my personal choice for decor, but... effective, I suppose." Heide seems taken aback for a second by all the bones but then she advances into the room, towards the tiefling door. She's still 20' or so away when she stops.

"I suppose I can take door-opening duty, unless someone else would like to. I - " She pauses, putting her hand to her head. "Does anyone else hear that ticking sound? I -" She whirls in place quickly, doing an ungainly circle before skidding to a stop, arm up, palm out, facing the tiefling door. She says, "Three, two one, and - " Her arm seems to stretch briefly and then pop back as a ghostly version of her hand flies out, clutches the tiefling's horns, then pushes open the skull-door.

Heide yelps in surprise at the hand's appearance but the pain seems to have gone. She blinks and says quietly, "I thought it'd be awfully convenient to have a way to do that... and then I... I did that? I did that." She looks over to where the hand still floats and flexes her own left hand, and the ghostly one copies her movement.

Izzarra
2023-05-03, 10:26 PM
Warlock, Celestial

Azzalix watches as Heide, who chastised her only a few hours ago about experimenting with magic, randomly summons a ghostly hand.
"I suppose now is the time to try to do magic?"

Khosan
2023-05-04, 02:50 PM
H.B. grimaces at the bones, "I should've expected it, today's just gonna be like this." He sighs and walks gingerly into the room, careful to avoid the bones where he could.

"Hm? No. No ticking here," He points at his ears, "You feeling alright or-Whoa!" He jerks upright, tail puffing up, ears flattening back, as he points his sword at Heide's spectral hand. As it quickly becomes clear that it's not a ghost, H.B. breathes a sigh of relief, but still regards the dwarf with curiosity, "Alright. But how'd you do that? Did you just...three, two, one, nyeh?" The tabaxi sticks his own hand out, mimics her countdown and, predictably, nothing happens, "Huh. Okay. I guess it's not something I can do." H.B. carries on towards the newly opened door, sniffing the air.

H.B. is going to take another shot at using his Divine Sense, this time trying to sniff out any hiding undead.

Archemist
2023-05-04, 04:02 PM
As it quickly becomes clear that it's not a ghost, H.B. breathes a sigh of relief, but still regards the dwarf with curiosity, "Alright. But how'd you do that? Did you just...three, two, one, nyeh?"

The hand is still floating by the door translucently. Heide considers it thoughtfully. "It seemed like a key being turned in my head, intensifying until it seemed natural to give that wound-up energy somewhere to go. I've never felt anything like it. Is it the room here? or another gift for in a time of need, like the armors?" she asks, somewhat rhetorically.

JNAProductions
2023-05-04, 04:48 PM
Ruby shrugs. "I don't think I've got any new magic tricks like that. But I'll see if I feel anything."

Doggie_arf
2023-05-04, 09:57 PM
Amalie nearly knocked over the nearest stack of bones as the dwarf summoned her...ghost hand to pull at the door.

"T-that was a fright. Don't do that," she managed, releasing her grip on her weapon. The catacombs were already leaving her on edge, and now this.

"...seeing magic is one thing, but doing it ourselves? That really sounds like the stuff of stories." The blacksmith stared at what Heide had called forth for a moment, before tentatively sticking her hand out.

Nothing happened, and Amalie wondered if she'd changed at all. And then she realized she'd instinctively reached for her weapon when the ghost hand had appeared. It had felt natural to do so.

And that was arguably the scariest thing of all.

Lentrax
2023-05-04, 10:37 PM
The ghostly hand reaches out and as it grasps the horn of the skull on the door, H.B. feels a celestial presence awaken.

Two pinpricks of pale blue light flicker to life in the eye sockets.

Please, let go of my horn. Why have you awakened me, Champion of the Gods?

You do not se the jaws move, but you are sure that the soft feminine voice is coming form the skull on the door.

Khosan
2023-05-05, 08:19 PM
H.B. continues sniffing the air, catching on to something. "Fascinating, I did not get anything like that when I tried to copy you. Does anyone else smell that?" His sense of smell directs him towards the door, "Well, that magic should come..." he pauses, smiling, "In handy." H.B. snaps his fingers and points at Heide, the biggest, dumbest grin growing across his face, "Ayyy. Hah ha!"

Once he's finished laughing at his terrible joke, H.B. continues his olfactory adventure, sniffing his way towards the doorway, "I don't know what I'm smelling, but it smells...heavenly? I don't know how else to describe it. It's like-" before H.B. spends more time trying to describe the scent, the door interrupts and inadvertently provides H.B. with an answer, "Holy!" The tabaxi jumps back, bringing his shield to bear just in case. He peeks out from behind it, "Hello? Are you...inside the door? I don't normally say this, but I can smell you in there. Weirdest thing. And what do you mean 'Champion of the Gods'? Is that what we are?"

Lentrax
2023-05-06, 04:30 PM
You, certainly. The others, I do not know.

The lights wink out for a moment, and you get the impression that the skull is blinking.

It has been some time since I have been awakened by a Champion. Are you here for your testing?

JNAProductions
2023-05-06, 04:43 PM
"Er, no. I don't think so," Ruby tells the skull. "We're here to find the priest-was he being tested? Is he safe?"

Lentrax
2023-05-06, 07:10 PM
Ahhh… the skull says.

For the archives then. Be warned. Three days hence, the signs came and went. Darkness has awakened, and what was once safe paths have turned astray. Guard your heart against steel.

The lights in the skull flare to fires that fill the sockets and the voice grows ominous.

Be warned. The paths test, even if you are not being Tested. The way back will come but once.

The lights slowly fade until they are gone as the voice goes on, growing fainter.

Hearts impure may fall. But tempered in the flames of faith, they may rise. Through fire and flame, rise to meet your test…

The door groans ominously loud as it splits down the middle and opens revealing darkness beyond.

Izzarra
2023-05-06, 07:14 PM
Warlock, Celestial

"Wait, what do you mean by 'Champion of the Gods?' Something happened to us last night, but we haven't been able to figure out what it was."

Lentrax
2023-05-06, 10:11 PM
There is no answer to the question.

Archemist
2023-05-07, 01:06 AM
Heide's hand, not having opened the door, pulls back quickly as she apologizes to the tiefling voice. All too quickly the voice is gone, though, and the hand also fades out.

She cautiously advances forwards, adding, "I'm not so sure about testing. But at least the voice seemed to say the archives were also this way. Right? Hmm..."

Doggie_arf
2023-05-07, 11:16 AM
"...I have no idea what is going on anymore," said Amalie, her eyes on the now-opened door. The door that had just called them Champions, and spoken to them of signs and darkness and testing.

With no further words forthcoming, the blacksmith sighed and stepped towards the portal. "Let...let's just go."

JNAProductions
2023-05-07, 12:09 PM
"We're not backing out now-let's go," Ruby says, and moves forward... Into the darkness. Into the ominous bone passageway. This is a good idea, right?

Khosan
2023-05-07, 12:50 PM
"I'm a champion of the gods?" H.B. points at himself, baffled, then points upwards, "Someone up there...wants me?" His eyes widen, "Oooh, that's a lot to take in. I'm honored, but what did I do to get their attention? I didn't do anything special, I don't think."

H.B. shakes off his concerns and continues into the darkness with the others, "There'll be time to worry about that later."

Lentrax
2023-05-08, 09:30 AM
The bone theme does continue into the passage beyond the door. Those of you who are able to see in the darkness see that the bones are packed in tightly to make for effective walls. At regularly spaced intervals, you see narrower corridors branching off to each side. You assume these are the catacombs proper, where they bring more people in for ritual burial.

The corridor is growing noticibly colder the further you go.
You think you hear water running.
Mostly hidden by the water you hear the soft sound of something scraping on the bones.

I am fairly certain most of you have low light or darkvision, but I know Amalie is Human, so she is in the dark.

JNAProductions
2023-05-08, 12:50 PM
"Did anyone think to bring a torch? Make it easier to see," Ruby asks. "Or if we can have magic light, to keep our hands free."

Archemist
2023-05-08, 12:57 PM
Heide is distracted for a moment rummaging through her pack, but she does pull out a torch and light it. "There we go. Light AND heat. I hear running water, too - watch your step in case it's slippery down here."

She shivers again, possibly from the cold but probably more from the torchlight's flicker on all the bones making it seem like some are moving.

Khosan
2023-05-08, 02:00 PM
H.B.'s ears perk up, a look of worry crossing his face, "Not just water, does anyone else hear that?" The tabaxi tightens his grip on his sword as he continues in a hushed tone, "I heard something scraping against the bones. I don't know what, but something. Everyone get ready, I don't think we're alone."

Doggie_arf
2023-05-08, 08:55 PM
Amalie breathed a sigh of relief as Heide lit her torch. At least she didn't have to stumble around blindly anymore. Not that the walls of bones stretching into the darkness were any better.

"I don't hear any scraping, but it seems to be getting colder." It wasn't enough to make the blacksmith shiver yet, but she could still feel the chill. "Not freezing yet, I hope. Or the water'd have iced over."

Izzarra
2023-05-08, 09:35 PM
Warlock, Celestial

Azzalix's violet ears twitch.
"I hear it."

JNAProductions
2023-05-08, 09:40 PM
Ruby readies her bow. "Is it coming closer?"

Lentrax
2023-05-10, 10:47 AM
The corridor continues on, and begins to curve to the right.

As you proceed, you find the source of the running water, a small stream of it is flowing out of the wall and into a decorated pool that is placed at waist height for anyone over five feet tall. The water overflows from the pool and is collected in a grooved channel that runs through the floor of the room and into the opposite wall, where it goes on to somewhere you can’t see.

Words are etched into the decoration on the pools side.

The last cup to quench the final thirst of life.

The walls are no longer lined with bones.

And you can’t seem to find any other exit from the room except the way you came.

Archemist
2023-05-10, 03:23 PM
"Hmm, maybe this is a dead end after all," says Heide, with a little chuckle to herself at the unintentional pun. She looks at the fountain and holds up the torch over it as she tries to peer inside. "Probably shouldn't drink that."

Heide tries to think back and remember if she's heard of anyplace like this before, either in folktales or other books about the underground lands, or what its function might be.

[roll0]

Khosan
2023-05-11, 09:38 AM
H.B. frowns as they come to the dead end, "Hells. Was there another path we missed?" He walks up to the pool and inspects it, "Final thirst of life?"

H.B. is probably going to bomb this, but I gotta try: [roll0]

JNAProductions
2023-05-11, 11:34 AM
"I don't think we should drink that," Ruby comments. "But, uh... How did we get here?"

Making a raw Int check-History and Religion have the same mod. Nature I'm good at, but I don't think this is a nature thing.

[roll0]

Khosan
2023-05-11, 03:35 PM
"Well, it started with some bad dreams we all had, then a murder, then the surviving royal family turned to dust, now we're here. Weird day, I know," H.B. lets out an exasperated sigh and shrugs. He begins walking around the edge of the room, lightly sliding his hand across the wall as he goes, "Sorry, did you just mean how did we get into this room? Cause that was just-huh?" H.B. stops abruptly and runs a hand back and forth across one spot on the wall before extending his hands further trying to feel out the whole section, "Hey, I think I found something! Maybe it's a secret door!"

Recalling the unexplained noise from not long ago, H.B. readies his sword just in case and starts pressing firmly on the strange wall section.

Doggie_arf
2023-05-11, 04:21 PM
Amalie squinted around at the dead end they had found themselves in. At least the place wasn't frosted over. Or covered in bones, which was a relief.

"I'm not touching that," she muttered at the raised basin, before turning to where H.B. was...feeling at the wall? "Did you find something?"

Archemist
2023-05-11, 04:35 PM
Heide's stonecunning sense tingles and she says, "Hey, something is really off about the walls in here, and maybe not just in that one spot. I don't know exactly HOW it's off... just that it's weird. Let's make sure to check all over."

Sorry for not seeing the inbox message until just now, Lentrax. :smalltongue:

Lentrax
2023-05-12, 07:37 PM
HB starts pressing on the piece of wall he finds odd, and there is a click as a section opens up revealing four objects.

The first is a wooden cup. With a crack on one side, it doesn't look like it will hold water anymore. But it is very old, and appears to be well-used.

The second is a book, its cover made of black leather, with silver and gold scrollwork inlaid into the leather, several cloth ribbons of various colors mark different pages in the book.

The third is a plain dagger in a simple sheath of brown leather.

The fourth is a scrap of white cloth with tearful eyes painted on it. The paint is old and faded, but the tears appear to be wet.

Izzarra
2023-05-12, 11:59 PM
Warlock, Celestial

Azzalix carefully picks up the book and begins examining the marked pages.

JNAProductions
2023-05-13, 12:34 AM
Ruby goes for the dagger, looking it over with care before touching it.

Khosan
2023-05-13, 02:00 PM
"Oh!" H.B. exclaims in surprise as the panel opens up. He tilts his head at the items contained within, stows his sword and quizzically picks up the cracked cup, turning it over in his hand a few times with a raised eyebrow. Still confused, he glances over to the font, "I know we've all sort of...collectively agreed no one should drink from that, but I'm really thinking about it now."

Lentrax
2023-05-13, 06:55 PM
Warlock, Celestial

Azzalix carefully picks up the book and begins examining the marked pages.

The book has been marked at various places. Three of them are burial rituals for different gods.

But there are four places where different rites have been marked. Each of them details a trial.

“Trial of Purity”
“Trial of Pain”
“Trial of Knowledge”
“Trial of Sealing”

Skimming them details a few things that must be done, but what catches your mind right away is that each of them begins with the same sentences.

“Chosen Champion, You have been brought forth for Testing. Prove thy worth and advance beyond. Err from the Path chosen, and the dark of the Abyss surely awaits. Prepare thyself. The trial begins with heart and ends with steel.”

Doggie_arf
2023-05-13, 09:01 PM
Amalie walked over to the alcove where the objects had been hidden.

"'The last cup to quench the final thirst of life,'" she mused, frowning at the wooden cup. Cracked, but clearly used.

"We'll need to repair this. Do any of those Trials involve cups?"

Lentrax
2023-05-14, 01:07 PM
Purity, Knowledge, and Sealing all mention a cup.

Lentrax
2023-05-14, 03:37 PM
Heide is putting things together. Much like the clocks she used to work on, she is seeing how things are coming together. Testing has been brought up far too often for it to be a coincidence that one of these “Trials” involves knowledge. Especially with their stated goal of reaching the Archives, which she presumes contains knowledge.

She still isn’t sure about the whole “Champion” business.

Archemist
2023-05-14, 05:21 PM
"Maybe we should do the Knowledge one?" asks Heide. "I'm definitely voting against 'Pain', anyhow." She peers up under Azzalix's arm, trying to catch a glimpse of what the steps are.

Izzarra
2023-05-14, 10:37 PM
Warlock, Celestial

"Acolytes may come down here as part of their testing, but this doesn't look like it is for acolytes as the instructions are addressed to a 'Chosen Champion.'"

JNAProductions
2023-05-15, 12:30 PM
"Does the book say anything else? It seems like our best source of info right now," Ruby asks.

Izzarra
2023-05-15, 10:11 PM
Warlock, Celestial

"Does the book say anything else? It seems like our best source of info right now," Ruby asks.
"I probably does."
Azzalix looks through the book for any instructions that appear to be addressed to acolytes.

Khosan
2023-05-16, 12:05 PM
H.B. neatly places the cracked cup back in its alcove, then goes to stand with the others around the book. "I can't say I'd be better at any in particular, but I'll tell you right now I am not cut out for a test of knowledge. Not a lot of learning happening backstage at the circus." He taps his head and simultaneously makes a hollow clicking sound with his tongue. "I'll try my best if it comes down to it, but no promises."

Lentrax
2023-05-16, 12:57 PM
Warlock, Celestial

"I probably does."
Azzalix looks through the book for any instructions that appear to be addressed to acolytes.

You skim through the book, but you don’t see any other references to testings.

Not long after saying aloud that you don’t see any other references in the book, you hear the voice from before float through the air.

You know where you are going, and you know what you need. Aid can be found in the path you choose.

JNAProductions
2023-05-16, 02:21 PM
Ruby looks to the source of the voice. "Hello?" she queries. Assuming the voice doesn't provide further explanation, she grumps for a moment and says "Right. I think, maybe we have to choose one of these items? If we do, I don't think the dagger is the best choice."

Khosan
2023-05-16, 04:07 PM
"Thank you?" H.B. reflectively responds to the disembodied voice, somewhat baffled, "So nice to have someone like that on our side." He refocuses on the task at hand, "What was it the book said, 'the trials begin with heart?' That might mean the trial of purity is first. A hero being 'pure of heart' was always a big thing in the kids' shows we used to put on. What's that one ask us to do?"

Izzarra
2023-05-16, 09:05 PM
Warlock, Celestial

Azzalix closes the book.
"Well... for the time being let's assume we are 'Chosen Champions' and attempt these trials"

Doggie_arf
2023-05-17, 09:26 AM
"We'd need the cup. Most of the Trials mentioned them." Amalie had managed to read that much over Azzalix's shoulder, even with the tiefling's wings in the way.

The blacksmith reached over and picked up the wooden cup, frowning at the crack in the side. "Does anyone know how to fix this? I...don't deal with wood."

Khosan
2023-05-18, 03:31 PM
H.B. looks at the cup, "Couldn't we just press a finger over the crack? Or just hold it different. Here." He holds a hand out to take the cup again, then demonstrates what he means. First, he positions his hand so it covers as much of the crack as he can, not squeezing but holding it tight enough to keep most of the water in, "Like that. Or," he places the cup in his other hand and rotates it, holding it at an angle with the crack facing upwards, "That. We may not be smart at Professor Pascabrax's, but we know a thing or two about reusing broken stuff. We literally couldn't afford not to."

Izzarra
2023-05-20, 09:33 PM
Warlock, Celestial

Azzalix returns the book to where she found it and examines the water in the pool.
By spending a few minutes examining a chemical, a vial of liquid, a packet of ground powder, plant, or the like, you can determine whether the substance is intended to harm or heal (or neither). This examination does not reveal any specific information about the substance (such as that a powder is actually an inhaled poison, or that it paralyzes its victim), only that it is either harmful or helpful to those that it is used on.

Khosan
2023-05-23, 10:31 AM
H.B. takes the book, "Sorry," and holds it up to his face. He reads with all the confidence of someone who only sometimes has to read road signs, stumbling on longer words and mispronouncing some of the shorter ones anyway. He does, eventually, read out the description of the Trial of Purity.

Lentrax
2023-05-25, 12:34 PM
Warlock, Celestial

Azzalix returns the book to where she found it and examines the water in the pool.
By spending a few minutes examining a chemical, a vial of liquid, a packet of ground powder, plant, or the like, you can determine whether the substance is intended to harm or heal (or neither). This examination does not reveal any specific information about the substance (such as that a powder is actually an inhaled poison, or that it paralyzes its victim), only that it is either harmful or helpful to those that it is used on.

The liquid in the pool does not register as harmful or helpful.

It is, as best you make out, plain water.

H.B. takes the book, "Sorry," and holds it up to his face. He reads with all the confidence of someone who only sometimes has to read road signs, stumbling on longer words and mispronouncing some of the shorter ones anyway. He does, eventually, read out the description of the Trial of Purity.

After some discussion and some deliberation, you all eventually settle on the “Trial of Knowledge.” After all, you came in search of answers, from a man who had supposedly gone to a storehouse of books and records.

Once you begin the instructions, the entire fountain parts down the middle, and water cascades down in waterfalls to either side of the staircase now revealed.

Going down the stairs, you find yourselves stepping into what could be an office. A rather nice one, with a well built desk and chair to one side, a few other chairs with small stacks of books on the tables to either side of them. A pipe is smoking on a stand on the desk itself.

But that is where the nice qualities end. Papers are scattered everywhere. Gashes have been rent in the chairs, and the only places on the floor that do not have papers covering them, have been cleared by the simple expedient of dragging bodies away, leaving trails of blood to mark the direction.

Further into the archive.

JNAProductions
2023-05-25, 12:56 PM
"Whoa..." Ruby says as the fountain opens. She looks around, smiling, until her eyes land upon the interior of the office and the blood trail. Her smile goes away. "We're gonna have to follow that, aren't we?"

Archemist
2023-05-26, 12:45 AM
Heide exclaims, "I knew it! I knew there was something funny about that wall."

Her excitement fades, like Ruby's, when she sees the trail of blood, but her determination grows. "That pipe is still smoking - we can't be too far behind them. Let's move. I'm very dangerous over short distances."

Khosan
2023-05-26, 10:54 AM
H.B.'s eyes widen when Heide points out the still smoking pipe. He nods resolutely in agreement and walks with purpose, following the blood trail, "We can come back for all of this later."

Izzarra
2023-05-27, 12:19 AM
Warlock, Celestial

Azzalix looks up from the pool.
"This appears to be regular water."
---
In the study she quickly assesses the situation and begins examining the trail of blood.
Survival to track the blood trail [roll0]

Doggie_arf
2023-05-27, 02:39 AM
Amalie groaned as she took in the gory scene that the fountain had been hiding.

"...please tell me this is still part of the Trial. I am getting really tired of being too late to save someone."

That was a lot of blood on the floor. A sickening sight it would have been, but for what had happened to poor Velka earlier. Had the High Priest been studying alone?

The blacksmith followed the trail deeper into the archives, one hand white-knuckling her weapon's hilt. She really hoped that someone was still alive.

Lentrax
2023-05-29, 06:21 PM
You all begin making your way through the office to the chamber beyond.

You find yourself in a library with another astrological instrument in the center, this one built into the floor, with light coming from within to shine up to the air around it.

But as you enter the room, you are instead confronted with the sight of four animated skeletons tearing into the bodies of two robed figures that are hanging suspended in midair. Three more are leaving the room, and another five turn at the sound of you entering the room.

Their feet scritch on the floor making sounds very much like what you were hearing up above.

Small red pinpricks of light flare to life, becoming blazing orbs of angry red flame, and despite no tissue to make the sound, they seem to moan as they begin to move.

I am not concerned with inititative. Not for forum games. Post your actions, you get your turns, then the baddies get theirs as I sort it all out narratively.

JNAProductions
2023-05-29, 08:44 PM
Ruby, spotting the endangered folks, draws a second dagger and rushes ahead, trying to get rid of the undead.

[roll0] Attack Roll
[roll1] Damage Roll
[roll2] Skirmish Roll

[roll3] Attack Roll
[roll4] Damage Roll
[roll5] Skirmish Roll

Doing TWF, so action and bonus are taken up.

Izzarra
2023-05-29, 10:08 PM
Warlock, Celestial

Azzalix fumbles with the crossbow and tries to loose a bolt at a skeleton.
Light Crossbow: [roll0], [roll1]

Archemist
2023-05-29, 11:03 PM
Heide gapes at the number of the undead. She reaches a hand out to Amalie and says, "Go get 'em, I'll be just behind you."

As she does this, there is a sound like a drum, steady as a heartbeat, and Amalie is surrounded by a shiny aura.

Heide still holds the torch aloft, and she advances with it towards the nearest undead, also drawing her little hammer in her left hand.

For Amalie - undead have disadvantage on attacks against you and you can't be charmed, frightened, or possessed by them.

Doggie_arf
2023-05-29, 11:59 PM
Amalie took in everything at once. The blood stains around the archives. The glowing device on the floor. The skeletons, moving to some unseen will.

The two dangling figures, being helplessly savaged by said skeletons. Her mind immediately went to Velka, and how she had been killed.

The blacksmith only realized she'd charged forward when she was a few steps from the skeletons. A small part of her was gibbering in terror. The rest of her - her frustration at how useless she had been in the face of all the horrors of today - had turned to fury.

"Let. Them. GO." she yelled, swinging her maul at the closest skeleton.

Bonus: Rage.
Move: Run up to closest skeleton to the hanging acolytes (?).
Action: Maul the skeleton! [roll0] to hit; [roll1] bludgeoning damage.

Khosan
2023-05-30, 03:22 PM
Before the thought even has time to enter his head, H.B. finds himself in the melee, the muscle memory of hundreds of stage fights having kicked in and carried him forward. As he closes the distance, he shouts to the presumably imperiled priests, "Hang in there, friends! Help is on the way!" The pun doesn't even register to the tabaxi, more focused on driving his blade through a skull than wordplay.

HP: 12 / 12
AC: 18

Movement: H.B. moves to the skeletons attacking the suspended figures, attempting to position himself either between or next to the skeletons and the figures.
Action: H.B. attacks a skeleton with his rapier.

[roll0] for [roll1]

Lentrax
2023-06-06, 03:56 PM
Ruby, spotting the endangered folks, draws a second dagger and rushes ahead, trying to get rid of the undead.

[roll0] Attack Roll
[roll1] Damage Roll
[roll2] Skirmish Roll

[roll3] Attack Roll
[roll4] Damage Roll
[roll5] Skirmish Roll

Doing TWF, so action and bonus are taken up.

Warlock, Celestial

Azzalix fumbles with the crossbow and tries to loose a bolt at a skeleton.

Heide gapes at the number of the undead. She reaches a hand out to Amalie and says, "Go get 'em, I'll be just behind you."

As she does this, there is a sound like a drum, steady as a heartbeat, and Amalie is surrounded by a shiny aura.

Heide still holds the torch aloft, and she advances with it towards the nearest undead, also drawing her little hammer in her left hand.

For Amalie - undead have disadvantage on attacks against you and you can't be charmed, frightened, or possessed by them.

Amalie took in everything at once. The blood stains around the archives. The glowing device on the floor. The skeletons, moving to some unseen will.

The two dangling figures, being helplessly savaged by said skeletons. Her mind immediately went to Velka, and how she had been killed.

The blacksmith only realized she'd charged forward when she was a few steps from the skeletons. A small part of her was gibbering in terror. The rest of her - her frustration at how useless she had been in the face of all the horrors of today - had turned to fury.

"Let. Them. GO." she yelled, swinging her maul at the closest skeleton.

Bonus: Rage.
Move: Run up to closest skeleton to the hanging acolytes (?).
Action: Maul the skeleton! [roll0] to hit; [roll1] bludgeoning damage.

Before the thought even has time to enter his head, H.B. finds himself in the melee, the muscle memory of hundreds of stage fights having kicked in and carried him forward. As he closes the distance, he shouts to the presumably imperiled priests, "Hang in there, friends! Help is on the way!" The pun doesn't even register to the tabaxi, more focused on driving his blade through a skull than wordplay.

HP: 12 / 12

Movement: H.B. moves to the skeletons attacking the suspended figures, attempting to position himself either between or next to the skeletons and the figures.
Action: H.B. attacks a skeleton with his rapier.

[roll0] for [roll1]

Ruby rushes forward, her daggers glinting in the light of the library. They flash as she swipes at one of the skeletons, and she rips bones away from the main body, but whatever force keeps the skeleton animated holds the rest of the bones together. The skeleton swipes at its attacker, and its sharpened fingers tear into her, gouging deep cuts across her shoulder and upper chest. (8 damage)

Azzalix manages to depress the trigger on her crossbow, but the bolt slides through the gap between two of the ribs of her intended target.

Heide moves forward, readying herself in the face of what is now a hostile world of the formerly dead. As she does one of the skeletons turns and meets the dwarf with a raking set of finger bones that screech as they scrape on her armor but don't manage to tear her flesh open.

Amalie runs forward, stopping only when she has enough space to swing her maul. The head comes around in a savage arc, and turns the skull of one of the skeletons to dust, the rest of the bones falling to the ground with a clatter that is very satisfying to the woman's savage mood. One of the remaining skeletons turns to her and rakes its clawlike fingers across Amalie, and she feels the displaced air on her back as the arm sweeps through where she had been when she started her swing.

HB is moments behind Amalie, his slim blade easily slipping into the ribcage of one of the skeletons, and he deftly slices several of them off of the body of the skeleton. But the thing is not living, and so does not react in the same way a real person would. Instead it lets out another of the half moan half screams, and swings its hand at the Tabaxi. The bones gouge into HB, and he feels blood beginning to mat his fur. (6 damage)

JNAProductions
2023-06-07, 11:00 PM
Feeling the damage, Ruby groans in pain. She moves carefully, focusing more on defense than offense now.

Dodge action.

Khosan
2023-06-09, 11:34 AM
"Ruby! You okay?!" H.B.'s concern proves enough of a distraction for his bony opponent to get the upper hand. He inhales sharply as the skeleton's claws sink into him, but he maintains some level of composure. "I'm alright!" he grunts through gritted teeth.

Though bloodied, the tabaxi takes another swing at the undead before him, hoping to bring it down before it does the same to him.

HP: 6 / 12

Action: H.B. attacks the same skeleton he attacked before

[roll0] for [roll1]

JNAProductions
2023-06-09, 12:30 PM
"I'll be fine!" she replies, though she doesn't sound certain. "We can worry about me once these bones are silent."

Archemist
2023-06-10, 05:37 PM
Heide first takes a retaliatory swing at the skeleton in her face. Well, not the skull IN her face, the skull of the skeleton that attacked her.

The shadows in the room go a little awry as she jabs out first with her torch and then her little hammer in quick succession.

She wades through the melee towards HB and Ruby so as to be on hand with a potion of healing if either needs it, although it sounds like Ruby's gonna just tough it out. Heide bravely tries to offer herself as a target so that more skeletons can't get to the two injured folks than already are around.

Hammer: [roll0] for [roll1] bludgeoning damage
and offhand Torch: [roll2] for 1 fire damage. Ideally, she'll move to a spot to only hit enemies if she does a Sword Burst cantrip next round.

Doggie_arf
2023-06-11, 03:33 AM
The skeleton crumbled beneath Amalie's furious blow.

It didn't feel like the steady hammering of metal she'd grown up with for half her life. But it was somehow just as satisfying.

The blacksmith barely registered the second skeleton's swing, the bony talons barely missing her flesh as they clawed at her tunic. Growling, she spun and brought her maul around in a furious upswing at her attacker, stepping forward as she did to cover the bloodied Ruby and H.B.

No one else was getting hurt if she could help it.

Rage remains active because Amalie attacked or took damage (9 turns left).

Bonus: None.
Action: Maul the skeleton who just tried to claw her. [roll0] to hit, [roll1] bludgeoning damage.
Move: Reposition as needed so that Ruby and H.B. are within 5 ft and thus covered by her Interception reaction.

Izzarra
2023-06-11, 10:43 PM
Warlock, Celestial

At least her first shot went through her intended target rather then miss completely. With hands shaking from adrenalin she reloads and tries again.

Lentrax
2023-06-19, 01:49 PM
Feeling the damage, Ruby groans in pain. She moves carefully, focusing more on defense than offense now.

Dodge action.

The skeleton swipes it’s other arm at Ruby, but the fingers only scratch at her clothing.

"Ruby! You okay?!" H.B.'s concern proves enough of a distraction for his bony opponent to get the upper hand. He inhales sharply as the skeleton's claws sink into him, but he maintains some level of composure. "I'm alright!" he grunts through gritted teeth.

Though bloodied, the tabaxi takes another swing at the undead before him, hoping to bring it down before it does the same to him.

HP: 6 / 12

Action: H.B. attacks the same skeleton he attacked before

[roll0] for [roll1]

HB stabs at the Skelton again, and this time, he dislodges several bones, and the remaining figure tries to remain upright, but can’t manage it. It topples over, the bones scattering across the floor with a clatter.

Heide first takes a retaliatory swing at the skeleton in her face. Well, not the skull IN her face, the skull of the skeleton that attacked her.

The shadows in the room go a little awry as she jabs out first with her torch and then her little hammer in quick succession.

She wades through the melee towards HB and Ruby so as to be on hand with a potion of healing if either needs it, although it sounds like Ruby's gonna just tough it out. Heide bravely tries to offer herself as a target so that more skeletons can't get to the two injured folks than already are around.

Hammer: [roll0] for [roll1] bludgeoning damage
and offhand Torch: [roll2] for 1 fire damage. Ideally, she'll move to a spot to only hit enemies if she does a Sword Burst cantrip next round.

The hammer goes wide, and the skeleton reaches in for another attack, but the fingers only etch the metal head of the hammer, as Heide recovers from the swing.

The skeleton crumbled beneath Amalie's furious blow.

It didn't feel like the steady hammering of metal she'd grown up with for half her life. But it was somehow just as satisfying.

The blacksmith barely registered the second skeleton's swing, the bony talons barely missing her flesh as they clawed at her tunic. Growling, she spun and brought her maul around in a furious upswing at her attacker, stepping forward as she did to cover the bloodied Ruby and H.B.

No one else was getting hurt if she could help it.

Rage remains active because Amalie attacked or took damage (9 turns left).

Bonus: None.
Action: Maul the skeleton who just tried to claw her. [roll0] to hit, [roll1] bludgeoning damage.
Move: Reposition as needed so that Ruby and H.B. are within 5 ft and thus covered by her Interception reaction.

Another skeleton is coming, but Amalie is ready for this one as well, and her mail tears into its ribcage, sending bones flying in a spray, but it manages to stay standing.

Warlock, Celestial

At least her first shot went through her intended target rather then miss completely. With hands shaking from adrenalin she reloads and tries again.

The crossbow bolt finds its target. With a very satisfying thunk, it lodges in the skull of a skeleton, the fletching sticking out like blood on its face.

No damage from skeletons this round. Disadvantage and reactions prevented any of them from hitting.