PDA

View Full Version : Kingdoms of Kalamar

YellowJohn
2023-02-18, 01:45 PM
Hey all
Can someone give me a run-down on the first-second-third party status of the Kingdoms of Kalamar books?

How do they compare to, say, the Dragonlance Campaign Setting?

Crichton
2023-02-18, 01:53 PM
Third party with a litigiously coerced 'officially licensed' seal

Not first party because not written or published by WotC
Not second party because the second party is you, the consumer.
Third party because it's written and published by a different company (Kenzer &Co).

It carries the 'officially licensed' WotC stamp because Kenzer won that right in a settlement when they sued WotC because WotC used a comic strip from Kenzer that they had rights to publish in Dragon Mag, but they later reproduced it electronically on a Dragon Magazine archive CD, which they didn't have rights to do.

Edit: to compare to Dragonlance - the Dragonlance Campaign Setting book was written and published by WotC, so it's a first party book. Some of the later supplements for Dragonlance are Officially Licensed third party, as they're published by Weis (the co-creator and author of the Dragonlance books) under permission and license from WotC

YellowJohn
2023-02-18, 02:13 PM
Thanks.
That means I don't have to trawel through it for my Index of All Spells :smallcool:

YellowJohn
2023-02-18, 02:25 PM
Some of the later supplements for Dragonlance are Officially Licensed third party

Wait... some of? That implies not all.
I knew DLCS was published by WotC. Were any other Dragonlance books 1st Party?

Buufreak
2023-02-18, 04:58 PM
Wait... some of? That implies not all.
I knew DLCS was published by WotC. Were any other Dragonlance books 1st Party?

Nope. To my knowledge, only the campaign setting book itself is 1st party. Everything else with the Dragonlance stamp is 3rd.

YellowJohn
2023-02-19, 03:42 PM
That's what I thought. Thanks again :smallsmile: