PDA

View Full Version : Ley Line Campaign Suggestions

sir_argo
2023-02-21, 01:48 AM
I'm in the early stages of developing a campaign setting based on ley lines. Quick note, I did buy a supplement specifically for Ley Lines from a non-WotC vendor I'll just refer to as KP. It's interesting, but not quite what I'm shooting for. I'll give the basic ideas I have right now and what I'm asking for is suggestions for ley powers.

We know the legend. The world is criss-crossed with ley lines. There's is magic that can be tapped when near a ley line. When two or more ley lines converge or cross, the effect is greater. There are a few places in which multiple ley lines converge and these locations harbor even greater power. And then there is the target region for the characters, where there are enough ley lines that it might resemble the spokes of a wheel. I'll call this the Conjunction (Junction, what's your function <-- sorry, couldn't resist). I envision this area being permeated with magic. Over hundreds or possibly thousands of years, the races that originally settled the area became attuned to this magic and their children now have a special affinity to ley lines. These races include all known DnD 5e races. The kingdom established there was quite powerful within their realm, but merely "normal" outside of it. For quite a long time, things were static. They didn't really possess the power to expand their kingdom out, but others could not make any inroads into their territory either.

The power wielded by the ley races attracted the attention of a number of demi-gods, who were eager to try to possess this magic. Their idea was simply this, I'm just a demi-god outside of that region but if I can harness and control that power I could become more than just a demi-god. A quick note about why the gods themselves haven't bothered to try and harness the power of the ley lines. You can't really do it by actions. You just have to spend a thousand years "attuning" yourself to them. The net gain for a god wouldn't be anything more than they receive from the worship and sacrifices of their thousands of followers. Plus it takes more time. Net result... not worth it for a god. However, a demi-god isn't getting that sweet-sweet worship from thousands of followers. And they can't metagame and know that the process is just time spent near the line. So they actively tried to conquer and subjugate the lines. This attack came suddenly and the ley races were not prepared to fight foes such as these. The war was over quickly and the remaining ley races had to flee. The region is now controlled by several demi-gods, who still don't have ley powers.

The refugees did not find comfort in the surrounding kingdoms. For all of those thousand years, the ley races had been indomitable. They were forced to flee even farther South until they were far enough away that they were merely branded as witches, not enemies. I know... that can be a fine line.

This is where the campaign starts--far South of the Conjunction. The characters are all young adults that were born in the South and have never set foot in the Conjunction. They've heard stories and their parents and grandparents tell them that someday that will return and retake their land. The first scenario is the typical, oh crap the village gets destroyed and everyone but you dies. The goal of the campaign is to travel back to the Conjunction, defeat the demi-gods, and reclaim the Conjunction for the ley races. The presumed epilogue would have ley races scattered around the world return.

Almost all races are allowed, especially the more fantastic races. All characters are a ley variant of the base race. So you would be a ley human, ley elf, or a ley dragonborn, etc.

The ley races emanate light that only travels a very short distance. It is quite bright within 1', but dims rapidly and disappears entirely beyond 5'. Sneaking should not be effected too much because the light does not travel beyond 5', but if you do try to do something sneaky within 5' of a target, it'll be at disadvantage. A character cannot perceive their own light.

I hate to copy Game of Thrones, but I really want the races to all have white hair. Not sure I'll use that or not... you know... it might be a violation of intellectual property. Maybe I'll go with sky blue hair.

Ley races do not worship gods. Divine casters just have a very spiritual connection to the lines and derive all the same benefits that would normally come from the worship of a god. Don't ask me to explain, but yes spells like Contact Other Plane still function normally. The whole non-god worshipping thing fits within the scope of the goal of the campaign is to fight demi-gods at the end. We don't want this to be a god vs. demi-god thing. So don't try to rationalize that certain divine powers shouldn't work. They do. It's just an RP thing.

All characters get the feat Magic Initiate for free at 1st level.
All characters will have a number of "ley points" equal to their level + 1.
Ley points are replenished only when within proximity to ley lines and here are some sample formulas:

not near a ley line
regain 1 per month

near a line
regain on long rest

near a convergence of two lines
regain on short rest

at the center of the Conjunction
regain every round

And here are some beginning ley powers I'm considering... and I don't have names for them yet. These would all be available at 1st level. So far, I do not foresee any of these being reactions.

[Damage]
After rolling damage, but before applying it, you can spend 1 or more ley points, up to your proficiency bonus, to do additional damage to a single target. Each ley point spent will deal an additional 1d6 damage.

[Move]
During your turn, you may spend 1 or more ley points, up to your proficiency bonus, to increase your base movement speed. Each ley point spent will increase your base Move by 5'. This additional movement lasts until the end of your turn and is still subject to all effects that limit a character's movement. (in other words, you can't use it to move if you're restrained).

[Attack Roll]
After making an attack roll, but before determining if a hit was scored, you can spend 1 or more ley points, up to your proficiency bonus, to add to your roll. Each ley point spent will add 1 to your attack roll.

[Defend]
You may spend 1 or more ley points, up to your proficiency bonus, to add to your AC. If you spend these points before the attack roll is made, the increase to AC lasts until the end of the turn. If you spend the points after the attack roll is made, the AC is only effective for that one attack.

[Saving Throw]
Before making a saving throw, you may spend 1 or more ley points, up to your proficiency bonus, to add to your roll. Each ley point spent will add 1 to your saving throw.

So as you see, these are very minor powers. And at 1st level, you only have 2 pts to spend. But if your project up to 10th level, and if you are at a locale that gets all points back on a short rest, it could be very handy.

So what I'm requesting is two things. First, ideas on how I can improve on the above. And second, additional powers.

Thanks in advance,
Argo

thorr-kan
2023-02-21, 01:19 PM
First, did you get *both* Ley Line supplements from said third-party publisher? There's overlap between the two, but they're not identical.

Second, Palladium Books has done A LOT with ley lines. You might consider raiding their materials for adaptations. Sources include:
-Rifts, particularly the core rules, Federation of Magic, and/or Book of Magic
-Beyond the Supernatural, specifically the first edition. Great details on ley lines, nexus points, and power triangles.
-Nightbane's Through the Glass Darkly, a bonanza of magical rules.
-Palladium Fantasy Roleplaying (the REAL PFRPG!), specifically the core rules and Mysteries of Magic 1 - The Heart of Magic. Fantasy details on magic.

herrhauptmann
2023-02-26, 10:51 PM
Attack:
I think burn a point to get Advantage, or remove Disadvantage.
Ditto for when getting attacked. Negate their Advantage, or give them Disadvantage. The one for one looks more like a 3.x thing than 5e.

Movement:
1 point for a single turn of +5 feet doesn't seem worth it. +10 for a minute could be nice. Or give an ally +5 for a minute (non stacking).

Casting:
You've got nothing for casters. Increase range, duration, number of targets, or damage. Maintain concentration on a spell (either a bonus on roll, or just get a mulligan where you can reestablish concentration after losing it.) Check what sorcerers get with their points as a guideline, but don't duplicate them, you probably don't want to invalidate an entire class.

Your replenishment.
Is each of those lines "regain 1 point?" Per month, long rest, short rest, round? Because RAW, near a line could get you restored completely on a long rest, or every round at the center of COnjunction. How do you define "near?" Because that's a pretty huge change from 1 per month to 1 per long rest. (Or 1 per month to All every long rest)

The glowing thing seems quite odd, especially with a secondary characteristic like their hair color too. Maybe different races manifest differently? Like Red/Green dichromatic eyes for humans. Elves glow. Dragonborn have shimmery scales; say their dominant color and a secondary color. Dwarves have beards that look like wire (steel wool) more than hair.

Out of curiosity. Have you read the 3.0 book Underdark? They have Earth Nodes and Node Magic as other sources of magical power and ability. Champions of Ruin then added Evil Nodes. There's also a few feats and spells. Some of their rules could probably be added to your ley lines.

Joe the Rat
2023-02-27, 12:34 PM
The ley races emanate light that only travels a very short distance. It is quite bright within 1', but dims rapidly and disappears entirely beyond 5'. Sneaking should not be effected too much because the light does not travel beyond 5', but if you do try to do something sneaky within 5' of a target, it'll be at disadvantage. A character cannot perceive their own light.

This light is really strange - anyone within five feet of them - other than them - has at least dim light. Outside of that, there is no visible light. If you call it light, people will expect it to behave like light. and a medium creature sized candleflame is going to be quite visible in the dark from a fair distance. You want to be dark until there is someone else within the five foot radius.
How about Ley Aura: a five foot radius field of ambient ley energy surrounds the ley creature. When another living creature enters this field, the feedback causes (the ley creature / the space) to glow with a dim light.
You're fine sneaking up, but once you get too close to living creatures, the orgone ley energy starts radiating. Alternatively, the radiating ley energy can only be detected by living creatures within 5' of the ley creature, acting as a source of dim light in that region.
Note on both of these I am using living creatures - which does suggest that undead and constructs do not detect or activate this, but rats do. You could shift this to sentient creatures - mindless beings and creatures with animal intelligence don't observe the energy in the same way. You can be a lot more flexible with the requirements for the "percieve aura within the aura" approach. It also gets weirdly metaphysical (and quantum physical), which might be a feature.

As for abilities
I assume you don't want to use ley energy to fuel spellcasting directly. Otherwise, I'd suggest using them to replenish spell slots with the same cost as sorcery points. Make it take time (an action, a minute, a short rest), and it gives you recharging even in Conjunction without completely breaking economy. You could restrict it to the 1st level spell they get from MI - 2 LP for a replenish. Another option, you could (where applicable) increase the casting level of that MI spell - but no higher than half their character level, rounded down. Obviously this isn't relevant before 4th level, but if you don't want all of the abilities available at once, or if they have a restricted number they can learn to use, this could be interesting.

You could also use damage mitigation (reduce damage by 1d6).
I'd aso suggest vigor- 1d6 temp hp per point spent (feel free to set a time limit here).
An Augment ability - spend points to increase the results of ability checks (1 for 1, 1 for 1d4) is also an option. You can make this have to be done the roll, or do it after, depending on how much you want to let them be conservative in their expenditures. Or do 1d4 per point before, 1 per point after the roll, kind of in parallel to your Defense ability.
I think some non-numeric bonus effects would be interesting as well, but I am having trouble thinking of things that don't just replicate spells (that's what the Magic Initiate represents)