PDA

View Full Version : A Packrat’s Hoard

Ruethgar
2023-02-22, 12:47 PM
I’m using the Packrat feat and wondering, what would be some good items I could use with it. Basically I spend up to 10g/lvl and specify the max weight and decide what I have at any given time. Max for this character is going to probably be 90g.

ciopo
2023-02-22, 04:46 PM
Partially charged 1/50 wands, 15gp is a first level spell, 90gp a 2nd level spell, 225 3rd level.

If you want to be "nasty" about it, have them be "wands that were crafted by (prestigeclass of your choice with weirdass spell access). But that's not as useful as you'd expect, because while a wand of haste crafted by a trapsmith is only 15gp per charge, it's also only 1 round duration due to caster level, unless you take it even further with "a 1/50 charges wand of haste crafted by a fourth level trapsmith" for 90gp 4/rounds of haste or whathaveyou ofother fast-access shenanigans

I'd stick to "default" partially charged wands and not go down the rabbit hole of fancy crafters.

Funniest would be if you yourself could have beenthe crafter, as that can coinceivably be used to halve the "cost" of your packratting

If partially charged wands feels too cheesy, scrolls. Just first level unless you canfinagle having scribe scroll yourself to justify 2nd level scrolls at 75gp

DrMartin
2023-02-22, 05:06 PM
alchemical items for all kinds of weird stuff, here´s a list:
https://orbitalflower.github.io/rpg/rules/dnd3-extended-alchemy-items-list.html

a lot of it is from Dragon´s, but if i remember correctly packrat is too, so you should be halfway there.

If a bit of negotiation is on the table, try to swap Packrat for the pathfinder equivalent, Brilliant Planner - which aside from the more generous limit of 50gp/level, allows for planning ahead any kind of service compatible with the settlement where you resupplied. Need a boat conveniently waiting for you as you escape out of the villain´s cliffside hideout? well what do you know, it´s there now, along with the captain you hired in town one week ago. It´s a gateway to ocean´s eleven style shenanigans.

SangoProduction
2023-02-23, 07:51 AM
Don't forget the mundane items, like crowbars, ladders (very useful for traversal, unsurprisingly), rope, and so on so forth.
(Mentioning since it's probably going to be forgotten in the sea of very useful, cheap items, like individual pieces of magical ammunition.)

Gruftzwerg
2023-02-23, 10:21 AM
You could use it to get illegal stuff (e.g. poisons or illegal drugs) and become the perfect "smuggler", since you don't have it on you until you need it.

MaxiDuRaritry
2023-02-23, 11:13 AM
A 12 lb jug of shapesand is 100gp. 5 lbs is 41.66 gp, and it would cover literally any nonmagical item you can think of that weighs up to 5 lbs, but it does require a +6 Wis mod for taking 10 to reliably hit the DC of 16 to shape it. If you "purchase" 5 lbs of masterwork shapesand, however, that reduces the Wis mod you need to a mere +4, which is far more easily doable.

Probably better done outside of the Packrat feat, however, which frees up a lot of mundane utility space for you to work in. Basically, use shapesand for most things, and Packrat for everything you can't do with shapesand.

Feantar
2023-02-23, 12:23 PM
Partially charged 1/50 wands, 15gp is a first level spell, 90gp a 2nd level spell, 225 3rd level.
If partially charged wands feels too cheesy, scrolls. Just first level unless you canfinagle having scribe scroll yourself to justify 2nd level scrolls at 75gp

(Mentioning since it's probably going to be forgotten in the sea of very useful, cheap items, like individual pieces of magical ammunition.)

Sadly, packrat specifies You can’t find magical items using this feat. Which lessens its use by a lot.

MaxiDuRaritry
2023-02-23, 12:38 PM
Focus on alchemical items? They're nonmagical, and they can't be made via shapesand. (I don't think, anyway.)

ciopo
2023-02-23, 12:56 PM
Sadly, packrat specifies You can’t find magical items using this feat. Which lessens its use by a lot.

he mentions 10gp/level, so it's the dragon 354# feat, not heh pathfinder ratfolk feat that specify no magical items and 25+5/level gp limit

MaxiDuRaritry
2023-02-23, 01:29 PM
Here's the Dragon feat:

Packrat (General)

Your incessant combing of marketplaces and bazaars sometimes leaves even you surprised by the contents of your backpack.

Prerequisite: Appraise 1 rank, Wedded to History, Wanderer background

Benefit: You may carry up to a maximum of 10 gp/level worth of items without recording their exact nature. This allows you to - assuming you retain access to your gear - subsequently designate all or part of this amount to immediately add a desired item to your equipment list. You must spend 8 hours shopping in town to replenish this gear.

Special: You must record an amount occupied by this gear at the time of purchase and adjust your encumbrance accordingly. You may not add an item to your equipment list if its weight exceeds the amount you allocated for this purpose.

bekeleven
2023-02-23, 04:21 PM
The only chapter of any D&D book I reference during every character creation is Chapter 2 of Arms & Equipment Guide: Adventuring Gear.

Because of course a first-level fighter wants marbles, a folding saw, twine, and a one-person tent. And of course a 5th level rogue wants a boot sheath, a sparker, a hammock, silent shoes, and a money belt. And when I'm making a 20th level wizard, that's not an excuse to not buy a bunch of crap. No, my 20th level wizard keeps all of her stuff in her Belt of Many Pockets and there's no reason at that point not to have fishing tackle, two dozen insectbane candles, a jeweler's loupe, a scrying kit, some poisons, dehydrated food, various spices (garlic is cheap), nuts, alcohols, and earplugs for when the bard is singing again.

Feantar
2023-02-24, 04:15 PM
he mentions 10gp/level, so it's the dragon 354# feat, not heh pathfinder ratfolk feat that specify no magical items and 25+5/level gp limit

Here's the Dragon feat:

OOh, okay, my mistake. Then yeah, scrolls, partially charged wands etc are amazing. It is effectively Spell Storing Item (the infusion) but in a feat.

Ruethgar
2023-03-19, 06:07 PM
Sorry for the very delayed response, and thank you all for your answers. I honestly didn't even think to use partially charged magic items but that's an awesome choice. I did have a long list of alchemy in mind, but always forget about shapesand which is a must have for versatility.

The setting will likely be very light on magic marts so having a RAW out for at least the small stuff is nice. Could be a nifty side quest, finding out how they get into my possession even if they aren't on the market. A few ideas coming to mind like 'little shop of horrors' phasing in and out of every town I pass through or that I wander into a different dimension by accident when I'm mindlessly browsing or that all of the items aren't technically real and I pick them up from the plane of shadow in an equivalent exchange.

MaxiDuRaritry
2023-03-19, 06:33 PM
Sorry for the very delayed response, and thank you all for your answers. I honestly didn't even think to use partially charged magic items but that's an awesome choice. I did have a long list of alchemy in mind, but always forget about shapesand which is a must have for versatility.Just make sure you have plenty of UMD for that wand of knock with 1 charge you just happened to have...

Hmm. Magically enhance the shapesand, and maybe you could sub out the Wis check for a UMD check? I'm not sure what +1 shapesand would do, but I'm sure you'll figure something out.