PDA

View Full Version : 5e D&D: Changing the Monk into a barbarian subclass.

windgate
2023-02-23, 08:21 PM
Not sure if this post belongs here or in the 5e forumn.

Anyways...

A while back I got into a discussion with some friends where I took the stance that Monk should have been originally implemented as a prestige or subtype of another class rather than as a standalone entity. I proposed that the martial artist element of it could have been folded into the Barbarian or Rogue Class. (I also argued that ranger would have worked as a specialized form of either a rogue or fighter). I am aware that its actual origins were before 3rd edition, but my understanding is that the 1st and 2e versions were horrible anyways.

I am confident that this is not really balanced, but this is my first attempt to "put up or shut up".

5th Edition Barbarian Subclass Homebrew: Martial Artist.

Level 3:
Master Martial Artist (Improvements to the TCOE Book Unarmored Fighting Style)
If you aren’t wielding any weapons, armor or a shield, your unarmed strikes deal Bludgeoning Damage equal to 1d10 + your strength modifier on a hit.
At the start of each of your turns, you can deal 1d4 bludgeoning damage to an adjacent target that has been grappled or incapacitated by you. If you are raging, the bonus damage from your rage also applies to this.
Starting at 6th Level, damage dealt from this class feature is Magical.

Level 6:
Lightning Reflexes: Gain Proficiency in Dexterity Saving Throws. Also, whenever you make an Athletics or Acrobatics Skill check you can treat a d20 roll of 9 or less as a 10.

Level 10:
Debilitating Strikes
Once per turn, when you hit any enemy with an unarmed attack you may either the target prone or initiate a grapple . If you knocked the target prone instead of attempting to grapple, The Target then makes a Dexterity Saving Throw (DC = 8 + Your Dexterity Bonus) If the target fails, they are incapacitated until the start of your next turn. You can use this feature a number of times equal to your Proficiency Bonus. You regain all uses of this feature after a long rest.

Level 14:
Master of Body And Mind
Gain Proficiency in Intelligence Saving Throws. You also have resistance to poison and falling damage.

Stunning Strikes: Creatures that fail the saving throw for your debilitating strikes feature make an additional Constitution saving throw (Same DC). If they also fail the second throw, they are stunned instead of incapacitated.