PDA

View Full Version : D&D 5e/Next Help me create a silly character concept

CTurbo
2023-02-24, 01:30 AM
I wanted to see about making a character that only knows 1 spell and can only cast it once per day, but it's a REALLY powerful explosion spell.

I'm ok with this character being imbalanced, but I don't want it to be useless 90% of the time. I figured I could settle for having a lot of out of combat utility. Skill monkey perhaps? Ritual caster?

I figured that in order to not be useless in combat, I'd probably need to have a damage cantrip along the lines of a much MUCH smaller version of the 1 big explosion spell.

I'm think Warlock/Bard combo. Probably Tome lock and Lore Bard. Not sure what Patron would fit best. Maybe 2 levels of Rogue for more skills, and Cunning Action.

But how would I balance only having 1 massive spell that can only be cast once a day? I'm fine with giving up a lot to make this work, but I'm also ok with gaining something in return.

Anyway here is what I was think on the 1 hilariously powerful spell. I was thinking maybe 1/4 of Meteor Swarm to start? I know I want 2 damage types, but I was thinking Fire and Force damage. Seems realistic to what a huge explosion would deal in real life.

So here's the hilariously powerful spell.

EXPLOSION
Evocation

Casting Time: TWO actions
Range: 1 mile
Target: One point you can see within range
Components: V S
Duration: Instantaneous

A blazing orb of fire plummets to the ground at one point you can see within range. Each creature in a 40-foot-radius Sphere centered on such point you choose must make a Dexterity saving throw. The Sphere spreads around corners. A creature takes 20d6 fire damage and 20d6 force damage on a failed save, or half as much damage on a successful one. Once cast, the caster falls prone until the beginning of their next turn.

So yeah very powerful, but takes 2 rounds to cast, and then the caster is totally useless for one turn afterwards. It needs to be an encounter ending spell.

I think Eldritch Blast would be sufficient to be the only At-Will damage option so the character is not useless most of the time.

I got this idea from a character named Megumin from an anime called Konosuba: Gods Blessing on this Wonderful World.

Calen
2023-02-27, 04:10 PM
Assuming a leveling campaign you will want to plan something that levels with you.
Something like a 10 foot radius per proficiency bonus point and 1d6 of each damage type per class level.