PDA

View Full Version : Optimization Pixie Twilight Cleric 1 / something XXX

da newt
2023-02-24, 04:21 PM
I'm about to start a new PC (AL) and I've decided that I want to go w/ Pixie Race (FLY etc) and Twilight Cleric 1 (dark vision, healing word, ADV on initiative, cantrips, etc) but I don't want to be a cleric. I'd like to be a well rounded caster - What should I do w/ the rest of my levels?

Druid (Star or Shepherd), Warlock (so many subclasses), Wizard, etc ....

What would you do and why? What are the pros and cons? This is AL, so who knows what the rest of the party will be week to week. It might be mostly season 4 so Barovia-ish, but this PC will likely bounce around to whatever campaign.

I do like to ensure I have something to do w/ my BA, and flying is fun for positioning and stuff like yanking someone up so they drop prone (thorn whip or grasp of hadar) ...

RogueJK
2023-02-24, 04:47 PM
If you're set on starting with Twilight Cleric 1 and then multiclassing, I'd stick with a primary class that's WIS-based, otherwise you're faced with affording a 13ish WIS as well as being less effective with your Cleric cantrips and Healing Words since you'd only have a middling WIS.

That'd be something like Druid, Ranger, or Monk.

Twilight Cleric 1/Swarmkeeper Ranger X could be a good option, and you can get Thorn Whip via the Druidic Warrior fighting style and combine it with your Gathered Swarm's additional forced movement, or skip Thorn Whip altogether and just shoot Longbow shots at them from hundreds of feet up in the air while adding in additional forced movement or damage via Gathered Swarm.

Twilight Cleric 1/Stars Druid X is also a very solid choice, letting you fly around 60' up as an efficient ranged caster using Sacred Flame/Toll The Dead + BA Archer Form, plus Concentrating on a powerful Druid spell like a summons.

Twilight Cleric 1/Astral Self Monk X would let you have WIS-based melee attacks, WIS-based grappling to snatch enemies up into the air and drop them, and enhanced movement speed that applies to your fly speed too, plus you'd also have a WIS-based ranged option via the Sacred Flame/Toll the Dead Cleric cantrip.

Stars Druids and Monks can always find something useful to do with their Bonus Actions, although Swarmkeeper Rangers will be a little more limited, unless you were to eventually take the Crossbow Expert feat and use a Hand Crossbow for a third BA attack.

But there's an even better option here that doesn't involve any Cleric dip at all, and still lets you get everything you're wanting from Twilight Cleric 1/Whatever X... Celestial Warlock. They've got a BA "Mega-Healing-Word", they've got even better cantrips than a Cleric (including Grasping Eldritch Blast with 120' range), and starting at Level 2 they've got access to "Mega-Darkvision" via the Devil's Sight invocation.

Best of all, it wouldn't involve watering down your primary class with a multiclass dip, or devoting extra stat points to WIS on a non-WIS class.

If you go Pact of the Chain with the Investment of the Chain Master invocation, you can use your Bonus Action each turn that you're not using Healing Light to command your flying Sprite sidekick to Attack and inflict the Poisoned or Unconscious condition for 1 minute on one new enemy each round (using your spell DC instead of the base DC 10).

Something like this:
Fairy Celestial Warlock
STR 8
DEX 15+1
CON 14
INT 8
WIS 10
CHA 15+2
Pact of the Chain (Sprite)
Invocations: Grasp of Hadar, Devil's Sight, and Investment of the Chain Master, and then Agonizing Blast/Repelling Blast/Eldritch Mind/Gift of the Ever-Living Ones/etc.
ASIs: Fey Touched (18 CHA) at 4, 18 DEX at 8, 20 CHA at 12

And if you go with the Knight background, you get three non-combat Retainers... You're now a Fairy with a smaller Sprite battle buddy and three even smaller Pixie cowardly companions.

animorte
2023-02-24, 06:13 PM
Celestial Warlock...

If you go Pact of the Chain with the Investment of the Chain Master invocation, you can use your Bonus Action each turn that you're not using Healing Light to command your flying Sprite sidekick to Attack and inflict the Poisoned or Unconscious condition for 1 minute on one new enemy each round (using your spell DC instead of the base DC 10).
Can confirm. I ran this exactly in a party with a Twilight Cleric. The only thing noteworthy he really had above me was the temp HP from Channel Divinity.

Investment with Sprite using your DC is underrated.

Quietus
2023-02-25, 09:33 AM
There's always Twilight1/Wizard (subclass of choice) X. Classic cleric dip to get heavy armor and all the other goodies, and the rest into Wizard. Won't help with the bonus action aspect, you may want to look into feats (telekinetic?) to help with that, but you don't get much more well rounded than heavy wizard investment.

RogueJK
2023-02-25, 09:46 AM
There's always Twilight1/Wizard (subclass of choice) X. Classic cleric dip to get heavy armor and all the other goodies, and the rest into Wizard. Won't help with the bonus action aspect, you may want to look into feats (telekinetic?) to help with that, but you don't get much more well rounded than heavy wizard investment.

A Fairy can only fly in Light Armor, so Medium/Heavy Armor doesn't do them any good. But they could still use a Shield with Light Armor (unless you go Bladesinger since they lose Bladesong if they use a shield).

However, since you're going to be limited to Light Armor and therefore can't dump DEX or even limit it to 14 like the traditional "Wizard with Cleric dip", that pesky 13 WIS requirement is going to be tougher to swing alongside a good INT/DEX/CON... You'd be looking at something like:
STR 8
DEX 15+1
CON 13
INT 15+1
WIS 12+1
CHA 8
ASIs: Resilient CON at 4, 18 DEX or INT at 8 and the other at 12

That doesn't leave much room for a BA feat like Telekinetic (or Crossbow Master on a Hand Crossbow Bladesinger)

Therefore Twilight 1/Druid X or just Warlock X (/Twilight 0) presents the best option for a full caster build here.

da newt
2023-02-25, 10:34 AM
Yeah - I'm leaning Druid (stars or shepherd) or Warlock (Celstial or other). Even if I do go Warlock I still think the twilight cleric dip is worth it for shield prof, cantrips, ADV on initiative, healing word/bless, and great dark vision. EB sniping from the darkness won't be common, but when I can it will be fun.

Devils sight would get me the dark vision too (and magical) but would cost me an evocation that I could use on something else.

Gignere
2023-02-25, 10:36 AM
Yeah - I'm leaning Druid (stars or shepherd) or Warlock (Celstial or other). Even if I do go Warlock I still think the twilight cleric dip is worth it for shield prof, cantrips, ADV on initiative, healing word/bless, and great dark vision. EB sniping from the darkness won't be common, but when I can it will be fun.

Devils sight would get me the dark vision too (and magical) but would cost me an evocation that I could use on something else.

Maybe a genie lock, could pick dao, grasp of hadar and crusher to really do the whole shoot them up for auto fall damage + prone.

Quietus
2023-02-26, 09:58 AM
A Fairy can only fly in Light Armor, so Medium/Heavy Armor doesn't do them any good. But they could still use a Shield with Light Armor (unless you go Bladesinger since they lose Bladesong if they use a shield).

However, since you're going to be limited to Light Armor and therefore can't dump DEX or even limit it to 14 like the traditional "Wizard with Cleric dip", that pesky 13 WIS requirement is going to be tougher to swing alongside a good INT/DEX/CON... You'd be looking at something like:
STR 8
DEX 15+1
CON 13
INT 15+1
WIS 12+1
CHA 8
ASIs: Resilient CON at 4, 18 DEX or INT at 8 and the other at 12

That doesn't leave much room for a BA feat like Telekinetic (or Crossbow Master on a Hand Crossbow Bladesinger)

Therefore Twilight 1/Druid X or just Warlock X (/Twilight 0) presents the best option for a full caster build here.

My bad, I missed the pixie thing. In that case, yeah, I'd go Druid, stars for sure. But I just really like the stars druid subclass. Though a pixie moon druid would be hilarious!