PDA

View Full Version : Rules Q&A Disjunction as counterspell?

MandibleBones
2023-02-24, 05:22 PM
In past 3.5 games, my DMs have allowed Mage's Disjunction to be used as a universal counterspell in the same way that the Dispel Magic line would be, reasoning that Disjunction ends a spell as if it were successfully Dispelled.

However, my current DM does not see this as justifying using Disjunction as a universal counterspell.

I cannot find text that explicitly says one way or the other. I'll abide by my current DM's ruling, but is there something concrete that I can reference (Other than "Neverwinter Nights allowed it")?

Biggus
2023-02-24, 09:28 PM
I don't think Disjunction can be used to counterspell. Compare with Greater Dispel Magic which says:

This spell functions like dispel magic, except that the maximum caster level on your dispel check is +20 instead of +10.

Whereas the only reference Disjunction makes to Dispel Magic is:

spells and spell-like effects are separated into their individual components (ending the effect as a dispel magic spell does)

Disjunction worked completely differently in NWN than in 3.5: you had to make a dispel check in the same way as Dispel Magic against every spell, whereas the 3.5 version ends them automatically.

The epic spell Superb Dispelling can be used to counterspell (I think it's what NWN's Disjunction is based on): https://www.d20srd.org/srd/epic/spells/superbDispelling.htm

Crake
2023-02-24, 10:40 PM
I mean, disjunction is an AOE spell. If you're using it to counterspell, it's like using a nuke to intercept a missile.