PDA

View Full Version : tea shop/axe throwing range

zlefin
2023-02-25, 08:02 AM
Elsewhere I encountered an IRL reference to an axe throwing range and tea shop, and I thought, "Wow, this would fit so perfectly for DnD, and a number of similar systems"

It just feels like a perfect and hilarious mix of things which would fit so well; even if tea isn't so common in DnD settings, the notion just seems great. It seems like it'd make a great one-off location. However I'm not running anything, nor likely to anytime soon, so I'm putting it out here for others to use.

the real place for reference:
https://georgiasmartaxes.com/

tomandtish
2023-02-27, 12:17 AM
This place (https://greatroomescape.com/austin/) runs escape rooms and has axe throwing.

Easy e
2023-02-27, 09:58 AM
We have an axe-throwing alley and bar not far from me. Never been, as I prefer the place that allows you to shoot a gatling gun, tommy guns, etc.*

*= Note: I have not actually done any of these activities.

Lord Torath
2023-02-27, 10:04 AM
There are axe-throwing bars in my area, too.

"Drunken axe throwing! What a great idea!" should have said no one, ever! :smallamused:

Imbalance
2023-02-27, 11:35 AM
Heh, I like tea, and I've been throwing axes since before it was cool (caught hell for it, too. Consequently, I was taught how to sharpen an axe, then turned around and learned how to maintain the edge on an axe that you're not allowed to throw...). Never thought about putting the two activities together, but ok.

Corsair14
2023-02-27, 12:08 PM
I can see knife and axe throwing as a bar activity for more active bars in the same way we throw darts (and axes) in modern day bars. Especially knives in more rugged tavern type settings. Not sure tea would appeal to that sort of clientele.

WoLong
2023-02-27, 12:53 PM
I can see knife and axe throwing as a bar activity for more active bars in the same way we throw darts (and axes) in modern day bars. Especially knives in more rugged tavern type settings. Not sure tea would appeal to that sort of clientele.

There appear to be a number of both axe-throwing tea-shops and axe-throwing bars in real life.

Corsair14
2023-02-27, 01:53 PM
There appear to be a number of both axe-throwing tea-shops and axe-throwing bars in real life.

Never heard of one and it seems a bit odd. Usually would associate axe throwing to a more rowdy beer drinking crowd than a more peaceful group of tea drinkers. We have several axe throwing bars locally. Then again I have never noticed a tea shop locally either but I have to assume they exist. Maybe near the hoity toity school in the trendy part of town.

wilphe
2023-02-27, 02:53 PM
the real place for reference:
https://georgiasmartaxes.com/

It probably says more about me but when I first look at that I see "Georgias Martaxes" like a Greek and Persian have teamed up and what does that have to tea and axes?

Ionathus
2023-02-27, 04:13 PM
I balked at Axe Throwing places when I first learned about them - the idea seemed so overwhelmingly dangerous. But when I actually went to one (friends planned it for my bachelor party :smallbiggrin:), it felt a lot safer than I'd expected.

The design and distance of the targets, plus the padding on the floors, made dangerous ricochets very unlikely - at least at the place we went to. And while the axe you're holding certainly feels like a dangerous tool, it moves entirely under your own power. A gun has its own stored power to deal with, same with a bowstring/bow under tension. The dangers of an axe feel very tangible and intuitive in comparison. I'd feel a lot safer at an axe throwing range than a shooting range, for instance, because you're very aware when you're doing something stupid with a heavy axe. All it takes to cause an accident at a shooting range is a finger twitch when someone's not paying attention.

Imbalance
2023-02-27, 07:02 PM
I balked at Axe Throwing places when I first learned about them - the idea seemed so overwhelmingly dangerous. But when I actually went to one (friends planned it for my bachelor party :smallbiggrin:), it felt a lot safer than I'd expected.

The design and distance of the targets, plus the padding on the floors, made dangerous ricochets very unlikely - at least at the place we went to. And while the axe you're holding certainly feels like a dangerous tool, it moves entirely under your own power.

But how was the tea?

Ionathus
2023-02-28, 10:01 AM
But how was the tea?

The place I attended didn't serve tea -- they served beer. A much better thing to be drinking while playing with axes!

Easy e
2023-02-28, 10:40 AM
A business I used to own sold Loose Leaf Tea for home or in the shop. It was a bakery primarily for events like weddings and such, with a store front for advertising and client engagement purposes. The store front had some baked goods, coffee shop, some merchandising, and loose leaf Tea. We brewed and served Tea as well.

Tea sales drove some differentiation in the market BUT very little of the overall sales of the location. Tea as a stand-alone Tea house would not have been possible in my geo. However, in a slightly larger city nearby, there was a dedicated Tea House that lasted a few years. With the arrival of Bubble and Bobba Tea, dedicated Tea Houses became viable in my area.

Hand_of_Vecna
2023-02-28, 04:26 PM
Sounds fun. For a fantasy game you could make tea and recreational axe throwing come from the same culture.

I prefer beer with my axe throwing, but if beer is ubiquitous like it is in many games tea will work much better.

Bohandas
2023-03-01, 01:09 AM
I love the tea and axes idea, the two things are so incongruous

Vykryl
2023-03-06, 01:04 PM
There's an ale & axe house about 45 minutes north of me. The annual logging conventions usually involve an axe throwing contest. Dont think I've down any such thing since cub scouts, was always fun. Would be a neat idea to add to a campaign town or city

gbaji
2023-03-06, 01:18 PM
We have an axe-throwing alley and bar not far from me. Never been, as I prefer the place that allows you to shoot a gatling gun, tommy guns, etc.*

*= Note: I have not actually done any of these activities.

Funny you should mention that... I have done both of those (along with flintlock pistols, and percussion revolvers). Ok. The Tommy gun was a semi-auto replica, and the gatling gun was from a kit (that one drew some serious attention though), but still...

Axe and knife throwing is fun as heck though. Trust me, you will suck at it at first, but it doesn't actually take that much time to get "decent" at it. And yeah, it's very much like playing darts. The problem is that those places that have them tend to charge a decent amount for the activity, so about the time you start to get the hang of it, you're probably thinking "I've spent enough time/money on this now". Better if you just know people who have that stuff lying around. Maybe not "safer", but certainly more convenient.

I may or may not have had a really eclectic group of "interesting" friends during my teen and young adult life.

Telok
2023-06-23, 10:24 AM
There are axe-throwing bars in my area, too.

"Drunken axe throwing! What a great idea!" should have said no one, ever! :smallamused:

Yeah, have those here too. The saftey cages make me sad though.