PDA

View Full Version : Fiddling Around With AEG's EMPIRE (D20 SRD days)

Tevo77777
2023-02-26, 02:00 AM
Hello! So I'm running a campaign is within my own system, and when I was recruiting an outsider to play the role of the mysterious Rex Arthurius during the Dark Ages of Britain. I thought to dig out my copies of EMPIRE by AEG and give this mysterious guest a domain to look over.

However, we're run into some issues and I don't really like the Kingdom Building rule for Pathfinder. The resources are far too simple and yet at the same time it seems more confused, more intimidating of a system.

Right now I am merely thinking about adding more options for buildings, and maybe some different types of tiles. I'm also going to look at some Kingmaker stuff, the new stuff and see how that is.

BTW, I'm also interested in recruiting people to play other characters or run other kingdoms, if you think you can be interesting.

New Tiles and Why

To quote myself from a few hours ago.

I'm going to have it be so that half of lands to the south and north will be tiles that are like a mixture of hill and plains, I was thinking they would be suitable for sheep and produce one food, but have to be double size.

Then I thought about Settlers of Catan and thought they should have the option to produce 1 unit of clay or clay bricks instead.

Finally, I remembered Civilizations, where Grasslands produce 2 food, hills 2 production, and plains produce one of each. However hills need two population to start production.

I think I will settle by saying that short folk favor this kind of ground and can produce both while settled upon it. The elfs get more out of being on woodlands anyways.
I think that clay should be suitable for goods that can be sold, or can be made into bricks that can replace stone, but only for civilian buildings (At the price of one wood to harden them).

New mechanics, short folk produce 1 food, 1 wool, 1 clay. Among the food is animal skin to make parchment paper.

-

3/15/2023, Perhaps low hills should allow a second population unit to collect 2 mud.

New/Changed Resources and Why

Silver now produces Lead as well, and unless worked by Slaves produces half a unit of each. If worked by Slaves production is normal for Slaves. Production harms any group that works it more than two seasons out of the year.

Wool has the same value as lumber and can be made into trade goods.

If made into simple bricks, clay is a replacement for lumber. If paired with 2/4 lumber, it sometimes can be used to replace stone.

A player has suggested that it could be made into pottery, and I agree. Its value will be the same as wooden trade goods.

The sheep slaughtered as part of a food unit from low hills, also is joined with sheepskin. Up to 10 units of sheepskin can be made into parchment, for the value of a unit of Copper each.

Can be grown on Farmland/Plains instead of Food, can be converted at a Brewery into Beer, which is valued at 1 unit of Copper.

Can be grown on Farmland/Plains instead of Food. Kingdoms with a Character with High Enough Rolls in Knowledge (Agriculture), can have half their fallow plains be producing Flax instead of being fallow.

Flax can be converted into Linen at any Village, or superior building/Stronghold. Linen is valued the same as Lumber, and Linen is valued the same as Copper.

Instead of Stone, some Hills (20%) produce Marble. A single unit is produced normally, and it is valued the same as Copper.

In exchange for 3 Copper or equivalent value in Food, small hills or fallow land can be arranged as pasture for cows. A unit of Cows is 1 Copper in value, and this area produces 1 such unit of Cows a year. 1 unit of Milk is also produced, and assuming a populated village is nearby, that is automatically converted to Cheese, likely cottage cheese.

Both a unit of Cow, or a unit of Cheese, can be expended to raise the morale/loyalty of 10 population units, by +2.

A unit of Cows is actually 143 Cows at kingdom scale, Bulls are handwaved and assumed to be present.

The Britons who would not become Welsh, along with the Nomadic peoples like Goths, can raise horses on the low hills among the flattest area or perhaps fallow land (Wait on this). Horses are three times as expensive as Cows, reproduce at about the same rate, and ruin the land if left wild.

A unit of horses is 48 at kingdom scale, enough to mount a heavy infantry unit of 45 and a few heroes.

War horses require War Horses and capturing or raiding the stables where the war mares are kept. A stud farm must also be built nearby where a whole unit of horses is kept.

A unit of Tools can be made at Village (No Monastery) or Town or Town with Craftsmen Guild.

It takes a whole season and 1 unit of Iron. The value of Tools is 2 Copper.

See Lumberyard for more details.

New Buildings and Why

So right now I am looking over the costs of roads in Settlers of Catan, their cost in Rome Total War Barbarian, and their cost in Kingdom Building.

I'm not sure if they should cost one 1 stone, 1 lumber, and 1 population working for a season or less. The fact I see them improving this vague Economy stat in Kingdom Building, is having me consider having them maybe cost maintenance like in Civ 5, but pay for themselves when finished.

Kingdom Building abstracts all money and resources together basically, and has ECONOMY rolls to decide how much is collected. I don't want to absorb or graft these types of rolls or ideas over right now.

After looking at the value of resources in EMPIRE, I think the maintenance should be in copper, which is valued at a 1/10th as much as a gold unit.

EDIT: 2/27, I realized that roads were in EMPIRE as well.

The brewery is Constructed with a Keep or Town and is part of the cost of that structure or upgrade. It passively converts Hops to Beer, 1 to 1. One Beer can be converted to 1 Copper (During Fall or Winter) for every single village nearby a Town or Keep.

Excess Beer can be expended to get a +2 Morale/Loyalty for 15 pops

Excess Beer can be expended for a +2 to Roll for setting up Trade Agreements.

A weaker version of the Stone Wall can be made for 8 Wood or Mud Brick, or 5 Wood and 4 Copper. The mud brick version is limited to Celtic/Byronic people.

Celts/Byronics can also build these, known as 'Duns' or 'Hill Forts' on low/shepherds hills, hills plains, or areas that are combinations of them.

Celts/Byronics can wall Villages or Towns, and refer to these areas as 'Oppidum'.

Romanized Factions can build Sewers after constructing a library, getting a good artetech, and constructing a Town. It is presumed that until Sewers are built, the Less Civilized analog is built.

Roman Sewers cost: 1 Gold, 2 Stone / Fire Hardened Brick
Waste Runoff: 5 Copper, 1 Stone / Fire Hardened Brick

SEWERS!!?!?!! (-1% total population growth, chance of sickness, No Loyalty Boost)

Forming Units

So the value of gold is wrong in the D&D 3.0/3.5 SRD, but the value of different items in relation to each other is correct. If you divide the cost of things in gold, you get reasonably close to the recorded value of items along the Dark Ages Franks.

Being Mad at Kingdom Building

"Republic: The kingdom is ruled by a parliament of elected or appointed officials who represent the various geographic areas and cultural constituents of the kingdom, making decisions for the whole through voting, bureaucratic procedures, and coalition-building. Modifiers: Crime –1, Law –1, Productivity +1, Society +1."

A lot of these terms do not come up in the document, grrrrr.

NM: Its at https://www.d20pfsrd.com/gamemastering/other-rules/kingdom-building/settlements/

Conversion Rates
Right now 5-8 BP to a unit of gold is my Kingdom Building to Empire Exchange rate. Tile Improvements are almost one to one for value and cost.

+1 to roll for the whole settlement in Kingdom Building = +2 to specific rolls for the leader in EMPIRE.

Instead of every single resource besides gold requiring roads/rivers and connected towns/strongholds to trade:

Food can be traded for Gold at usual price. The in setting explanation is that spare land is devoted to cattle, which is literally the unit of exchange for this period, outside places like Italy, Greece, Southern France.

I normally play with Plains producing 2 food, because of the Technological limitations. As such, perhaps Food should be valued the same as Wood (15 to a Gold).

Tevo77777
2023-03-01, 01:05 PM
Finding Issues with EMPIRE / D&D 3.5 SRD

Real Life Prices (https://historandmor.blogspot.com/2016/06/the-golden-age-of-franks-part-2.html)

So a riding horse, would likely be a "Horse, Light", which is priced at 75 gold pieces. Meanwhile the "Horse, heavy", is what I would consider a horse suitable for use in battle, at 200 gold pieces.

Finally, the War-Horse of "Warhorse, heavy", is 400 gold pieces.

We have multiple problems here. First, all the costs of equipment is proper in relation to each other. A spear and shield are about 7 gold pieces each, a shirt of mail is 100 gold pieces, pretty close in ratio.

However, the riding horse or "Horse, Light" should be 21 gold pieces. The "Horse, heavy" is the type of horse ridden in battle, as it could support a man and his mail, should be 42-49 gold pieces (However rarity might drive up prices, most of the prices I have are for the continent).

The prices of the horses are more or less correct in relation to each other.

I imagine previous users of the EMPIRE book had armies with deep want for horses.

CIVICs
Considering my players and the kind of choices I want to make available for my players, I think that the default choices in "EMPIRE" are not enough. There are currently no choices for government changes or types, nor is there any options for deciding how the common people live, or how different types of people are treated. Thus, the following additions are made, for now.

Government's (Capital "S" State's technically) will have four major "ability scores"/"attributes": Culture, Economy, Stability, and Loyalty. These are imported from Pathfinder 2nd Kingmaker, and they are imported with their associated skill mechanics (For now)

Culture: This is represents art AND science (Most scientific discoveries will just be rediscovering technology)

Economy: This is both production and trade ability

Stability: This is both defense (But it also can be used to build or repair things)

Loyalty: This warfare, controlling internal politics, and the "Intrigue" skill.
Repeating the stats, with some additional factors that are involved. Some of the sub-stats are from Pathfinder 1st Edition Ultimate Kingdom Building.
technology)
Economy: This is both production and trade ability
Stability: This is both defense (But it also can be used to build or repair things)
Loyalty: This warfare, controlling internal politics, and the "Intrigue" skill.
-
-
-
Law:
Law is not necessary how many laws there are (But it could be), nor is it how much or little crime or need for law there is. Law is how perceptive, organized, and strong those who enforce the law are.

Society
"Society is how open and friendly to strangers the people are encouraged to be, or allowed to be. The result is that new ideas or people are allowed in, or they are kept out.
-
-
-
Feudalism / Patronage Network / Monarchy with Vassals
Stability: +2 (So +1 to all related skills)
Ability: Defense tasks can be delegated out to experienced vassals who see to their own defenses

Centralized Monarchy
This option involves a moderate consolidation of power. Advisors and assistants, still exist, but the ruler has increased power over land or warriors.
Law: +1 (Still +1)
Society: -1 (Still -1)
Ability: The Monarchy has an increased ability to put down revolts and detect dissent.

Decentralized Monarchy
Law: +-1 (Still -1)
Society: +1 (Still +1)
The ruler decides that it is perhaps easier or best to delegate out more tasks to seemingly loyal subjects.
Ability: Due to increased initiative from subordinates; in the event of a "Critical Failure" there is a 50%~ chance that instead a normal "Failure" happens.

Like it says in the Population Status Types, different populations can be treated differently, with different rights, privileges, and obligations. Obviously, a well treated population will also be more likely to stay or immigrate to your lands, and the reverse is also true.

However, something that must be noted, is that having a more diverse, open society (With it's boons to the Society stat and its busts to the Law stat, also comes with the possibility of having a stronger Culture stat, but less control over technological advances and how the culture develops.

For example, having lots of control and forcing a very Romanized culture means you know you'll have a Roman culture, with Roman technological advances or revivals, and that you will be converting people to your culture as well.

At the same time, having a more diverse culture, perhaps accepting Goths and their Arianism Christian ways, allows you to risk having Pagan Saxons convert to Arianist Goths, in exchange for having a stronger Culture, that spreads faster. You will rediscover Roman technology slower, but have access to the possibility of discovering Gothic technology.

This is the second choice that is being given to the players involved. How are various types of people are going to be treated? Because I have a headache and I feel like it, I am going to just give examples and then name the categories.

Gallo-Roman Coloni
After the collapse of the cities within the Roman Empire, the urban populations emptied into the countryside, where it is said that desperate starving people become tenant farmers. Over time debt piled up for the common people, and they entered into a status between freedom and slavery. Either it became illegal for them to leave, or economically impossible.

Anglo-Saxon Freeman/Ceorl
The Ceorl was similar to other freemen in other cultures (And didn't exist in 550 I think, but hear me out here), but was different from the warrior everyman of his Germanic forefathers or the voting citizen-soldiers of the early Greeks and Romans. He owned his own land and could take part in "folk meetings", but he also could be called up at will to defend his community or conquer others. There was plenty of little taxes he had to pay, and he was to kneel before his betters, but his land was his own, and he was trusted with any spear and shield he could get himself.

Cymry (Welsh) Slaves
Among the Cymry, slaves were born into it and tied to the land. What made their status worse than being a tenant farmer or coloni, was how undernourished and underfed they often were. Despite that enslavement was a criminal and religious punishment, the incredible demand for labor in the harsh "farmland" of Wales resulted in slaves being quite widespread in the area. In fact, among the Welsh of this period, there is no mention of common people owning their land.

Going forward, any type of freeman will just be called a freeman or whatever the equivalent word is for that people. If there are different stats or abilities or features, they will be spelled out. As far as sources say, the Romano-British were mostly citizens before things got bad (I have no idea what rights that entails, but it's the best so far for the region).

The Anglo-Saxons of later years (Before about 1100-1200) had a decent to large number of Ceorl, but that's highly debated in academic circles. Even if they made up only 10% of the population, the largest class were partially free and the Anglo-Saxons could field large militias.

Freeman
It was very common for people to become partial tenant farmers or partial slaves, or debt slaves, and work their way back up the social hierarchy. Those specific people are lumped in with Ceorls, because they realistically can't be called to arms like freemen (Unless Cymry of course) or treated like coloni, so they are basically ignored unless they're in large numbers.

Coloni
Yes, I know these people are a lot like serfs. That word doesn't exist yet and I'm pretty sure there is some sort of difference that I don't want to look up right now. All coloni will be called coloni or tenant farmers or whatever word works for that culture.

Slaves
When I say slaves, I do not mean thralls. Vikings are not here yet. I also don't mean whatever the Romans did before Spartacus. I am referring to what the Cymry and Anglo-Saxons did. I don't know what the Irish or Picts did, I don't want to know. Going forward, we're going to call all these people "slaves", but obviously it's a lot better and worse than other versions of slavery. I will slap you mechanically if you say "slaves are slaves".
-
-
-
Demographic Groups

There are three types of languages in the British Isles, as of 550AD. There are the Germanics from the continent (Saxons, Angles, Jutes), the Britons/Cymry/Brittonic speakers (Cymry/Welsh, Romano-British), the Picts, and the Irish-Scotti (Goidelic/Gaelic).
See this image for an idea where these people lived before the Germanics showed up. (https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/0/0e/Map_Gaels_Brythons_Picts.png) Here is a clip you can watch for 5 minutes to know which groups are present on the island. (https://youtu.be/jHNdQW4eMTM?t=263)

Only Brittonic speakers are Christian and they are fiercely so (Just ignore all the saints that used to be gods, all the usual stuff that crept into Christianity), everyone else is "Pagan".

You can be as general with how you treat people as a religion, a language, or do you get as specific as former Romano-British, but not Cymry?

Let's now restate the classifications and tell you what they mechanically do.

Freeman
Freemen, because they can move around and have some resources of their own, they can be mustered at will into militias (Unless Cymry exceptions, obviously.)

Loyalty is set to +1 or +2, if they make up 50% or more of the population there is a +2 to Culture, Freemen never revolt, and any demographics set to this status can move freely (Typically towards you, depending on surrounding areas and religious treatment)

Coloni
Coloni, are not exactly slaves and not exactly free. They do have their fair share of rights, but if become aware of a better life, they will wish to be there. (Cymry exceptions, again)

Loyalty is set to 0, if they make up 50% or more of the population, there is a +2 to Economy (Concerning Resource Extraction), and Coloni will revolt or leave if military forces are depleted or absent (Among the Cymry, these forces can be mustered and they do not flee unless into areas they know they are deemed freemen). Refugees of a starving or religious nature might migrate to your lands and offer themselves as Coloni.

Slaves
Slaves are those who are treated really poorly, but not as poorly as some poor souls a thousand years before and thousand years after.

Loyalty is set to -2, if they make up 50% or more of the population, there is a +2 to Economy (Concerning Resource Extraction), and Slaves are just as willing to revolt as Coloni (Only they fight to the death and are willing to flee to places they will be treated as Coloni). However, Slaves produce +50% more mineral or stone resources at mines/quarries.

Cultures, Mechanics For Warfare

For this time period, across the British Isles, the standard warrior or militia is armed with javelins, short throwing spears, knives, clubs, and perhaps short axes. Most of the warriors are trained for the same kind of warfare between Celts or Germanics, that had happened for at least a thousand years prior: quick skirmishes with bucklers, simple melee weapons, and throwing spears. At the same time, due to environmental conditions, economic decay, and loss of knowledge: the general quality of cavalry and horses is very poor for this time and region. Every single culture seems very infatuated with horses, but the horses are basically "ponies" or "riding horses", mostly suitable for skirmishing or travel.

The exceptions to these factors, along with the exceptions to how they treat people and what they believe, are what make these various peoples different mechanically.

Sub-Roman Britain / Britons
This refers to the various peoples who were the most "civilized" for the area. There are only a handful of kingdoms left, and they have forgotten most of what they used to know. They are fiercely Christian, but the collapse of the economy and the removal of experienced troops led to a "free for all" and what resembles "anarchy". The towns and cities have emptied out, the roads are falling apart, and most of the kingdoms, if not villages, do not like each other.

Most of the remaining kingdoms have some remaining horses, proper ones suitable for carrying a man in iron mail. Far less of the remaining kingdoms remember or value the long infantry spear and a shield large enough to not be called a buckler. An even smaller number retrain trade access to the Eastern Roman / Byzantine Empire. Selling the rare and valuable tin brings them useful money and trade goods.

This is primarily a faction that has some useful cavalry. This is also the only faction starts off with any possibility of trade with the Byzantines or the ability to train "Shield Wall" units suitable for defense.

Cymry (Welsh)
This term is used here to refer to the people living inside of what is now Wales. While its generally agreed that the "Britons" became the Cymry, it was decided to separate those who had been civilized by the Romans and those who lived in areas too mountainous and barren. Among the Cymry, there is no indication of "freemen", but there is heavy reliance on small ponies, and throwing weapons. The Cymry are divided and constantly fighting each other, but they might unite for a period to drive out others who do not share the same religion and culture.

Around this time, there are generally two kingdoms that are strongest. There is a kingdom in the north (modern Wales) that understands the long spear, but perhaps not the shield, maybe. There is a kingdom in the south (modern Wales) that begins to take interest in the bow. The Welsh almost universally have bards, and the presence of many shepherds leads to slingers who could make David himself proud. The Welsh also would do many hit and run attacks, staying close to the mountainous and wooden lands that are their home.

This is primarily a faction that has mechanics related to "guerilla warfare" and access to javelins, mounted javelin throwers, and slingers. Depending on associated region, players either also have access to reasonable or good bowmen, or access to thrusting spears.

Germanics (Saxons, Angles, Jutes)
The Germanics invading Britannia, are Pagan, and they have a strong preference for the charge, possibly in the Boar's Snout formation. Mostly among their own, every single man is assumed to be free and every single man is presumed to be a warrior. Generally the first to come across the "English Channel" (Not named that yet) were basically pirates and third sons of nobles, people who wanted plunder or to carve out a domain in a new land of people they viewed as weak. The Anglo-Saxons took wives of the area and/or intermarried with those of status, absorbing some art and culture, but putting themselves and their language at the top of the hierarchy.

The Saxons appear to be the most highly trained in aggressive warfare for the area and period, and they appear to be the most skilled in melee combat. There are ranged weapons, but the Germanics were the least interested (of the cultures present) in ranged warfare. They have a special fighting style where the buckler is used not only to deflect or parry attacks, but also to help them attack quicker and more brutally.

Simply, the Saxons, Jutes, and Angles are a people who like to stab others, bash them over the head, or hack others to death; compared to throwing things at them. They prefer to charge rather then to defend.

Picts
I don't find the Picts to be as interesting, and they are far from most of the current players, so I apologize for how short this is.

The Picts have a reasonable supply of missile weapons, but they have a small, but useful supply of early hunting crossbows. These missile weapons are slow to reload, but have good range. There is also a decent supply of regular or short bows.

The other weapon or tactic that makes the Picts interesting, is the reasonable possibility for hunting/war dogs. They aren't the strongest and most vicious dogs available in the area, but they have their use.

Irish/Scotti
Again, not as interested, my bad.

The Irish/Scotti most likely to be present for the players or fighting them, will be the "Raiders and Settlers". These people will almost certainly be free or nobles. However, while most cultures of the Dark Ages have interest in cows and often list prices are in terms of cows or coins valued about the same as cows, the Irish-Scotti had another equivalent item used as "currency" valued at about three cows... the female slave.

The Irish have access to "Wolf-hounds" even bigger and more vicious than the ones the Picts have some access to. The "heroes" and leaders like to ride chariots if possible, and according to the stories, they were great at inspiring the men or tempting enemy champions or leaders into single combat.

Kingdom Tiles, Terrain

6 x Small Hills
6 x Forest
4 x Plains
3 x Hills
2 x Water

Tevo77777
2023-03-13, 04:27 PM
Buildings With Changed Stats
Starting Keeps come with free 'Keep Villages' (Which do nothing but allow some types of crafting and explain the additional population the Keep allows. In my version of these rules and to be somewhat like the OG rules and somewhat like Medieval Total War 2:

Villages can't upgrade to Towns unless by themselves. They can have wooden or stone walls.

Keeps with a village can be upgraded to Castles.
-

Keeps Can have Ports now.

Ports come with a Marketplace now.

Ports allow you to gain +1 Copper a Harvest in Tax/Trade per nearby Water Tile
Marketplace's now gain +1 Copper a Harvest in Tax/Trade per Pop in Town

Forum (Romano British or Romans only)
Upgrade: Requires Marketplace, 1 Gold, 1 Wood

The Forum was like a Town Square, which was surrounded by markets, government buildings, temples, entertainment, and place to get food.

+1 Skill Bonus to Skilled Characters in Settlement, +1 Bonus to Politics (Loyalty) Rolls.

Government Buildings[Kingdom Maker Stats]
Requires: Village, 3 Copper, 1 Stone, 1 Wood

This is where the Warlord (Comes, Atheling, Uchelwyr) lives, conducts meetings, receives emissaries, receives pledges of fealty, keeps his closest retinue, hosts feasts, and where the records of taxation, resource collection and allocation, history, and such are kept.

Typically allows for the basic function of government and management of the local area.

Germanics Only: Mead Hall upgrade
Requires: Warlord's Hall, 2 Copper, 1 Stone, 1 Wood

The cultural and religious life of the settlement was centered in the Mead Hall, and often it was made of stone and wood, making it the largest and most protected building in the settlement. After 300AD, Mead Halls became increasingly closer in function to Keeps.

+1 Culture, +1 Loyalty, Structure is stronger than Wooden Walls, Weaker than Keep.

Cost of Warlord's Hall and Mead Hall contribute towards conversion cost of Village to Keep.

New Trade / Culture Buildings [Kingdom Maker Stats]
Requires: Town, 1 Gold, 2 Stone, 2 Wood

Amphitheatre (Odeon): +1 Culture, +1 Loyalty [Only Population 3 Squares away by Highway or Water]
Requires: Amphitheatre, + 2 Gold, 4 Stone, 4 Wood

+2 Loyalty [Only Population 3 Squares away by Highway or Water]
-

Requires: Village/Keep, 1 Gold, 1 Stone, 2 Wood

+1 Loyalty, +1 Scholarship, 100 Spare Literate People per year [From closest 10,000]
Requires: Temple within 2 hexes, Plains/Low Hills, 1 Gold, 2 Stone, 3 Wood, 3 Parchment Paper, 300 literate people,
Maintenance: .3 food, .3 Parchment Paper,

The Monastery gains control over the Plains / Low Hill it's built on, and uses the resulting taxes to fund it's maintenance.

Upgrade: For the cost of 1 extra gold, the Monastery allows the tile to hold 1 extra population and allows 1 population present to be used to Craft 3 per Season, any good a Village or Monastery can Craft.

+1 Culture, +1 Scholarship

Ability:
Copy and Store: At the cost of 1 Parchment Paper, the Monastery can "copy" books bought or rented from another Kingdom or lesser land. This process takes a season and unless the books contain Culture or Technology, they are valued at 6 to a Gold.

Cheese Production: If excess Food production is reduced to allow a more 'varied diet', and the players stipulate they are producing cheese (Likely cottage cheese); that cheese produces +1 loyalty. Milk from a nearby Cow Pasture [1 hex over] instead of becoming the regular cheese (Cottage Cheese) produced by a village, produces 1 Monastic Cheese.

1 Monastic Cheese can be expended during a Celebration, to raise the Loyalty or Relations of those present. Otherwise it can be sold 6 to a Gold.

Breeding Records:
If a nearby Stables is built on a Horse Pasture, Warhorses can be bred.

-

Requires: Village/Keep, 1 Gold, 1 Stone, 2 Wood, 3 Parchment Paper, 300 literate people
Maintenance: .3 food, .3 Parchment Paper
+1 Culture, +1 Scholarship

Ability:
Copy and Store: At the cost of 1 Parchment Paper, the Library can "copy" books bought or rented from another Kingdom or lesser land. This process takes a season and unless the books contain Culture or Technology, they are valued at 6 to a Gold.

New Tile Improvements
A Stables is built on a Low Hill or Plains, and costs 2 Lumber. 3 Units of Horses must be present, and the tile must be currently used as Pasture.
Requires: 1 Tools, 1 Lumber, Woods tile;
1 pop and 2 seasons per 4 Lumberyards being built

Produces +1 Lumber [+1 Lumber, if bordering Water Tile and 4 squares from Port]
-

Requires: Specific Technology
Construction Cost: 1 population working for 2 seasons and 3 Lumber + 2 Food per 5 Plains converted + 1 pop working 1 season per Plains converted

2 Extra Food is produced each year [Per 5 Plains converted]

Requires: Specific Technology
Construction Cost: 1 population working for 2 seasons and 3 Lumber + 2 Food per 5 Low Hills converted + 1 pop working 1 season per Low Hills converted

1 Food, 1 Wool, 1 Clay produced each year [Per 5 Low Hills converted]

Options for Mechanics
To symbolize and demonstrate what agriculture was like before the horse collar, three field crop rotation, the metal plow, and the churning plow; I am running a whole campaign where plains put out half as much food. So far it gives the game an interesting feel, and leaves wasteland less valuable to convert, but leaves less spare population for mining or production.

If you have such a setting, I advise what I am considering, which is raising the price of food to that of Wood.

If you do this, I suggest lowering the labor cost of converting wasteland plains to plains, to just one population.

Tevo77777
2023-04-14, 12:00 PM
Calculated Expenses

Based on the historical costs of equipment and conversion rates:
Legionaries would cost 12 soldini for mail + 3 soldini for sword + 3 soldini for their pilum/s, or 150 gold in D&D 3.5, and thus 1.5 units of gold per man.

The cost of 140 professional legionaries is about 1 unit of gold.