PDA

View Full Version : Puzzled Does Rich Burlew ever correct previous comics?

bertrc
2023-02-26, 11:08 AM
Seeing as Red Cloak can recognize MitD saying "Horde" vs "Hoard", and given Xykon explicitly saying ". . . comma . . ." in an earlier comic, to indicate he is continuing a sentence, I cannot work my way around Xykon saying "I don't need spells! I'm still a perfectly functional unholy abomination."

Yes yes, you can work around it with "The modron is listening to the entire phrase" "rule of funny doesn't apply here", etc. but, unless Rich Burlew addresses it later, it feels like a mistake.

Has he ever editted posted comics?

dancrilis
2023-02-26, 11:18 AM
Yes - sometimes, but I doubt this is an example of that.

Exclamation marks can be used within a sentance as an interjection, which works for this case.

bertrc
2023-02-26, 11:28 AM
Yes - sometimes, but I doubt this is an example of that.

Exclamation marks can be used within a sentance as an interjection, which works for this case.

Oh, I wasn't asking if this was the result of a retcon, and I did not want to restart the grammar war here.

I was raising the possibility that Rich Burlew would correct this with a retcon (even if "correct" merely means "bring peace amongst my fans")

Do you have examples of where Rich Burlew corrected comics before this?

Keltest
2023-02-26, 11:35 AM
Sometimes he fixes typos a few minutes after posting a page if one gets through. I can't think of any time off hand where he went back and fixed a page weeks or months or years after it was posted.

hamishspence
2023-02-26, 11:37 AM
I'm told that in 951 Andi was originally Sally, before The Giant changed the name a while later.

Peelee
2023-02-26, 11:38 AM
I was raising the possibility that Rich Burlew would correct this with a retcon (even if "correct" merely means "bring peace amongst my fans")Im not the author and your guess is as good as mine, but id put "peace among my fans" as fairly low on the list of things he cares about, at least as it relates to minor grammatical quibbles.

As such comics were changed and rehosted, the only way to show such is to link to a discussion thread where the author said as much. And given that there are over 1200 discussion threads that seems like a whelming amount of work. Someone might do it for you, but might not.

dancrilis
2023-02-26, 12:08 PM

The most extreme example to memory may be where dialogue was changed in 988.

I've uploaded a revised version of the strip with altered dialogue that resolves the inconsistency with #970. You may need to force reload the page to see it.

I cannot remember what the dialogue was before so likely no that important in the grand scheme of things.

hamishspence
2023-02-26, 12:24 PM
I cannot remember what the dialogue was before so likely no that important in the grand scheme of things.

From the same thread:

But here we have Haley saying "Durkon has been casting Endure Elements on us every day" and "I just thought we'd keep doing that." Just something that has me scratching my head.

https://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0988.html

So that's what the lines in panel 5 originally were.

Kish
2023-02-26, 12:29 PM
Oh, I wasn't asking if this was the result of a retcon, and I did not want to restart the grammar war here.

I was raising the possibility that Rich Burlew would correct this with a retcon (even if "correct" merely means "bring peace amongst my fans")

Sure. "Masters Mastering Mastery" was named "Followers Follow" until someone pointed out the previous existence of a strip with that name, and Rich said "I actually see that as a problem worth renaming the comic for."

But. He's not going to consider "bring peace amongst my fans" a good reason to change the existing comic. The only way he'll change it, is if he decides that Xykon sticking an exclamation point in the middle of what the quinton treats as a single sentence is objectively wrong. In other words, there is no way, from outside the "grammar war," to suggest it will get fixed/"fixed."

lio45
2023-02-26, 12:31 PM
The changes were bigger than just panel 5, since someone in the #988 discussion thread mentions that Elan saying Haley's grumpy is new dialogue as well. It looks like panels 5-6-7 were altered. And not just speech bubbles: Haley's face in panel 5 can't have been original.

A very solid candidate for most modified strip after publication, indeed.

enq
2023-02-26, 12:45 PM
Not so much correction as censoring I suppose, but I seem to remember that in panel six here (https://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots1046.html), Roy originally spoke another word clarifying exactly what kind of crude joke his father might have made.

:roy: Without another crude masturbation joke.

Jasdoif
2023-02-26, 04:49 PM
Im not the author and your guess is as good as mine....The most definitive thing I'm aware of is that changes made for the books don't get back to the website.

There are certain changes that I need to make to prepare the art for publishing, and those changes have already been made to the files that have the typos fixed. These range from things like color corrections (some things look different printed than on screen) to deleting the title and author line from the top of each comic. Putting the fixed ones up would require reversing those changes, which is time that I could better spend doing...anything. And since I don't remember what strips had typos and what didn't (and almost the entirety of the first book had major changes on every page, including straightening the borders), I would either have to sort through them all or convert and upload all of them. Either option is more time wasted.

Not to mention, one of the selling points of the books (especially the first one) is that the comics have been "cleaned up" from their original posting, including art fixes and typo fixes. So there is little incentive for me to change them in the first place.

Zarhan
2023-02-27, 01:29 AM
At least here https://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots1114.html Hilgya's husbands name was originally wrong. Rich corrected it because it might have seemed like a plot point. Essentially he forgot that Ivan's name had been mentioned way back in DCF, https://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0083.html.

Is it supposed to be a plot point that Hilgya can't remember her forced husband's name, or is calling him Igor instead of Ivan an authorial error?

It's an error. I went back to that strip to see how he looked and didn't actually double-check the name because I was sure I knew it.

Fixed now.

gbaji
2023-02-28, 12:47 PM
Im not the author and your guess is as good as mine, but id put "peace among my fans" as fairly low on the list of things he cares about, at least as it relates to minor grammatical quibbles.

And in this case, the grammatical quibble doesn't even actually show up in the strip anyway. So... I'd say no.

As a general rule, Rich only changes things in the strip if it's something he notices right away (and even that's rare IME), or is some major art/story problem that he just didn't notice when first putting it out there. Everything else gets changed only in the book format(s), because, you know, he makes money on those.