PDA

View Full Version : Telepathic Shenanigans

SociopathFriend
2023-02-27, 04:22 AM
More or less a simple question.

I'm taking the Telepathic Feat in my next campaign- for fun.

Given that feat and similar powers (GOOlock for example) have been around in 5e for years now- what are some fun things you've done with them?

Mastikator
2023-02-27, 04:32 AM
Speak to NPCs that you are hidden from without breaking stealth.

Slingbow
2023-02-27, 07:59 AM
I like to say one thing out loud while simultaneously speaking telepathicly to the same person. I've tried to convince NPCs that I'm their conscience. Silent communication with the team while in stealth mode. You can use it in conjunction with minor Illusion similar magic. You can pose as a sentient object. Pretend to be the Paladin's diety and tell them to do dumb stuff.

renzdog
2023-02-27, 08:22 AM
Treantmonk has a video titled voice from beyond ... which I found amusing.

It is based on using mask of many faces with telepathic. You might find it entertaining.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZcUT0V8SOzY

lall
2023-02-27, 08:33 AM
what are some fun things you've done with them?
A powerful NPC was giving the typical blah blah speech that was pretty formal as we just met her and she had guards and others present. My bard waited for a pause, then, via the Telepathic feat, proposed that they become better acquainted. She was uptight about security and had Detect Magic ongoing. The feat doesn’t describe the ability as magical and there was a happy ending after she dismissed the rest of the party.

In 5.5, it looks like they are making all telepathy magical, but you don’t have to see the target, the target can simply know any language, and they can respond telepathically. So I think overall an improvement, but the “magical” bit will at times be an obstacle.

Unoriginal
2023-02-27, 09:27 AM
More or less a simple question.

I'm taking the Telepathic Feat in my next campaign- for fun.

Given that feat and similar powers (GOOlock for example) have been around in 5e for years now- what are some fun things you've done with them?

One of the BBEGs of my latest campaign was a Sorcerer who casted Detect Thoughts with the Subtle Spell metamagic, and used it to learn more about the PCs by talking to them and reading their surface thoughts (as well as to search for unseen creatures without them knowing he was doing it), especially doing the "ask question, read surface thoughts as they think of the answer" trick during conversations.

The PCs never figured out he was doing it.