PDA

View Full Version : [3.5] Domain Slots As A Non-Cleric

Thurbane
2023-02-28, 04:36 PM
So, if I understand correctly, if you somehow get a Cleric domain without being a Cleric (feats, ACF, PrC etc.) - you get the granted power, and the spells become part of your spell list, but you don't gain extra slots to cast them from the way a Cleric does? Also, if you are a spontaneous caster, you don't automatically get the spells as spells known, you still need to select as a known spell in the normal way.

Is there a way for a non-Cleric to get the bonus domain slots?

Shaman and Domain Wizards get slots, but they are class specific.

Sorry if this is a really dumb question, but just looking for any feedback.

Cheers - T

Tzardok
2023-02-28, 04:48 PM
Preparing spellcasters without domain slots that gain access to a domain can still only prepare a single domain spell per spell level, they just use their normal slots for that. Spontanous spellcasters don't suffer any restriction like that.

Also, I don't think there's a method to gain domain slots, for any class.

pabelfly
2023-02-28, 05:26 PM
So, if I understand correctly, if you somehow get a Cleric domain without being a Cleric (feats, ACF, PrC etc.) - you get the granted power, and the spells become part of your spell list, but you don't gain extra slots to cast them from the way a Cleric does? Also, if you are a spontaneous caster, you don't automatically get the spells as spells known, you still need to select as a known spell in the normal way.

Is there a way for a non-Cleric to get the bonus domain slots?

Shaman and Domain Wizards get slots, but they are class specific.

Sorry if this is a really dumb question, but just looking for any feedback.

Cheers - T

There's also Domain Sorcerer that works similar to Domain Wizard.

Just to note, there are a few prestige class options give you the domain power without the spells (eg. Auspician), but most add to your spell list and give you the domain power.

I've had a quick look through "Ways to Expand A Spell List" but I've not found any ways to specifically get bonus domain slots without being a Cleric. Stuff like Domain Wizard doesn't seem to use that terminology, even if that is what it gives you, in effect. I'm interested in seeing if this thread brings any options to light though.

ViperMagnum357
2023-02-28, 05:49 PM
Holt Warden, from Complete Champion. One level dip gets you the Plant domain, and a full suite of domain spell slots as a cleric if you lacked them before. You can then grab other domains through the usual methods, and fill those slots however you want.

Also, there is a bit of ambiguity: by RAW, it adds domain slots to all of your spellcasting classes, even arcane ones, courtesy of failing to differentiate how those slots are allotted-it simply adds domain slots to all your spellcasting, period. Good luck selling that to most DMs, though.

Thurbane
2023-02-28, 10:42 PM
Hmm, Holt Warden's a good pickup. The wording of the ability is a bit messy though.

redking
2023-03-01, 02:54 AM
There's also Domain Sorcerer that works similar to Domain Wizard.

Domain Sorcerer?

pabelfly
2023-03-01, 03:21 AM
Domain Sorcerer?
Domain Access Sorcerer ACF, Complete Champion.

Thurbane
2023-03-01, 04:33 PM
Domain Sorcerer is a bit of a trap: you lose far more spells known that you gain, which, IMHO, is not worth it.

pabelfly
2023-03-01, 07:21 PM
Domain Sorcerer is a bit of a trap: you lose far more spells known that you gain, which, IMHO, is not worth it.

It's not a great trade, agreed, but it might be worth it if you want a specific set of spells or a domain ability for the right build, or you want to prestige class into a specific class that requires at least one domain.