PDA

View Full Version : today i'll become the bull [prc]

reorith
2007-12-03, 11:11 PM
nobody tells you where to go from here.

ladies and gentlemen, i present to you, the bull lord.

bull lord
hd
d10

requirements
to qualify to become a bull lord, a character must fulfill all the following criteria.
base attack bonus
+6
feats
cleave, improved sunder, power attack.
skills
handle animal 8 ranks, intimidate 8 ranks,
special
a bull lord has to successfully complete the trial of the bull(see below)

{table=head]level|base attack bonus|fort save|ref save|will save|special

1st|
+1|
+0|
+2|
+2|horns of the bull

2nd|
+2|
+0|
+3|
+3|powerful charge +1d6

3rd|
+3|
+1|
+3|
+3|scent, hoofed kin

4th|
+4|
+1|
+4|
+4|powerful charge +2d6

5th|
+5|
+1|
+4|
+4|fierce empathy, natural cunning.

6th|
+6|
+2|
+5|
+5|powerful charge +3d6

7th|
+7|
+2|
+5|
+5|brutal charge

8th|
+8|
+2|
+6|
+6|powerful charge +4d6

9th|
+9|
+3|
+6|
+6|death gore

10th|
+10|
+3|
+7|
+7|inner beast[/table]

skills: climb, handle animal, intimidate, jump, listen, search, and spot. (2 + int mod per level)

weapon and armor proficiency
a bull lord is proficient with all simple weapons and the great axe and with no armor and no shields.

horns of the bull (ex) at first level, a bull lord sprouts large sharp bony horns from her head allowing her to make gore attacks.(1d6 for a small creature, 1d8 for a medium creature) a gore attack made with these horns receives a bonus to damage equal to the bull lord's strength modifier.

powerful charge (ex) while charging with a gore attack, a bull lord can bring her horns into play. while charging with her horns, she deals an additional 1d6 damage. this bonus increases by 1d6 every even level..

scent (ex) a bull lord can detect approaching enemies, sniff out hidden foes, and track by sense of smell.

hoofed kin (ex) minotaurs recognize a bull lord as one of their own. initial attitudes towards a bull lord by a minotaur are one step closer to friendly.

fierce empathy(ex) as the druid class feature wild empathy, but a bull receives a +4 bonus when attempting to improve the attitude of bulls and cows.

natural cunning (ex)a bull lord is not necessarily intelligent however; they gain innate cunning and logical ability. this gives them immunity to maze spells, prevents them from ever becoming lost, and enables them to track enemies. further, they are never caught flat-footed.

brutal charge (ex) starting at seventh level, once per encounter, a bull lord can double the damage dealt by a powerful charge.

death gore (ex) a number of times a day equal to the bull lord's cha mod, at least once, can attempt a killing blow with a gore attack. if they fail the fortitude save, they die. if the make the save they are shaken for 1d4 rounds. (dc 10 + the bull lord's class level + the bull lord's str modifier) A bull lord can use the death gore attack only on living creatures with discernible anatomies—undead, constructs, oozes, plants, and incorporeal creatures lack vital areas to attack. any creature that is immune to critical hits is not vulnerable to death gore attacks.

inner beast (ex) at tenth level, a bull lord's type changes to monstrous humanoid gaining the benefits of the type.

trial of the bull
the trial of the bull has four parts. the first part requires the potential bull lord to best another bull lord or true minotaur in combat. the second, the potential bull lord has to drive a full grown adult bull back five feet(use stats for a bison). usually they just grab the bull by the horns and shove but whatever. the third trial is to raise a bull from a calf to a bull. the forth trial is a test of endurance. the potential bull lord must spook a herd of cattle and outrun them.

CabbageTheif
2007-12-04, 12:05 AM
i really like the concept. they hade something like this in the n64 version of gauntlet, where the fighter became part bull. but i have some questions

saves why good will? i know you like to break the mold, but a reason for it would be nice.

natural cunning is good, but that's alot at once. i was wondering why you didnt break it down and spread it out. i loved the refrences though

death gore at first it seemed way broken, but then i reralized that at the earliest this would be available is at level 14. so my only question is 'restirctions based on body type?' example: how would goring a gelatinous cube kill it? at that level,, it would be possible for the gc to fail the save. i say that it has the same restrictions as sneak attack: constructs, ambiguous forms (gc), undead ae immune.

w/a prof. not mentioned.

prerequisitswhy suddenly grow horns and be so proficient with them? i think that there needs to be a special prereq. nothing fancy, and nothing limiting, but something like "must be stubborn by nature" or "must have a connection to bulls" or whatever.

thats all i can see for now. again, love the concept. is reorith going to take this one?

reorith
2007-12-04, 12:15 AM
i really like the concept. they hade something like this in the n64 version of gauntlet, where the fighter became part bull. but i have some questions

okay shoot

saves why good will? i know you like to break the mold, but a reason for it would be nice.

monstrous humanoids have good will. also stubbornness

natural cunning is good, but that's alot at once. i was wondering why you didnt break it down and spread it out. i loved the references though

stolen from the minotaur's monster entry

death gore at first it seemed way broken, but then i reralized that at the earliest this would be available is at level 14. so my only question is 'restirctions based on body type?' example: how would goring a gelatinous cube kill it? at that level,, it would be possible for the gc to fail the save. i say that it has the same restrictions as sneak attack: constructs, ambiguous forms (gc), undead ae immune.

i'll fix that

w/a prof. not mentioned.

oops

prerequisiteswhy suddenly grow horns and be so proficient with them? i think that there needs to be a special prereq. nothing fancy, and nothing limiting, but something like "must be stubborn by nature" or "must have a connection to bulls" or whatever.

dragon disciples get free prof with wings, a wildshaped druid can maul the heck out of someone with claws they've just obtained... they've already invested a level in it, why require anything else prof wise? but some fluff related requirements would round it out.

thats all i can see for now. again, love the concept. is reorith going to take this one? reorith is going blackguard.

Nebo_
2007-12-04, 06:55 AM
horns of the bull (ex) at first level, a bull lord sprouts large sharp bony horns from her head allowing her to make gore attacks.(1d6 for a small creature, 1d8 for a medium creature)

Plus strength modifier or one and a half strength modifier?

powerful charge (ex) while charging with a gore attack, a bull lord can bring her horns into play. while charging with her horns, she deals an additional 1d8 damage. this bonus increases by 1d8 every even level. after making a powerful charge, a bull lord can not make another powerful charge for another three rounds.

The table says xd6, which is it?

natural cunning (ex) bull lord's are not necessarily intelligent however; they gain innate cunning and logical ability at fifth level. this gives them immunity to maze spells, prevents them from ever becoming lost, and enables them to track enemies. further, they are never caught flat-footed.

There's no minotaur fluff in this class, why do they get a minotaur ability? Minotaur based would be cooler than Bull based, imo.

brutal charge (ex) starting at seventh level, once per encounter, a bull lord can double the damage dealt by a powerful charge.

Double all the damage on the charge, or just the extra dice?

death gore (ex) a number of times a day equal to the bull lord's cha, at least once, can attempt a killing blow with a gore attack. if they fail the save, they die. if the make the save they are shaken for 1d4 rounds. (dc 10 + the bull lord's class level + the bull lord's str modifier) A bull lord can use the death gore attack only on living creatures with discernible anatomies—undead, constructs, oozes, plants, and incorporeal creatures lack vital areas to attack. any creature that is immune to critical hits is not vulnerable to death gore attacks.

I assume you mean charisma modifier, not score...

Oh, and some capitalisation would really make this class look more professional and easier to read.

reorith
2007-12-04, 10:52 AM
Plus strength modifier or one and a half strength modifier?
plus strength mod. i'll go fix that.

The table says xd6, which is it?

fix'd

There's no minotaur fluff in this class, why do they get a minotaur ability? Minotaur based would be cooler than Bull based, imo.

there was more initially, but it got weeded out.
edit: i re added it as i originally wrote it. what do you think? also, the weapon and armor proficiency was redone to reflect the minotaur's weapon selection.

Double all the damage on the charge, or just the extra dice?
all the damage the1d8+xd6

I assume you mean charisma modifier, not score...

yeah. i'll go fix that

Oh, and some capitalisation would really make this class look more professional and easier to read.
i'll take that into consideration.

Cuddly
2007-12-04, 03:29 PM
Personally, I think fort and ref should be good.

[quote]fierce empathy(ex) as the druid class feature wild empathy, but a bull receives a +4 bonus when attempting to improve the attitude of bulls and cows.[quote]

Cows? Fierce? Buahahahahaha!

Sorry. Couldn't resist. :smalltongue:

Stycotl
2007-12-04, 03:39 PM
i think powerful charge should not have a limit on how many rounds in a row it can be used. charges are already hard enough to use often in combat, so i don't see it as a problem that any charge attack they make gains this power.

reorith
2007-12-04, 05:02 PM
Personally, I think fort and ref should be good.

Cows? Fierce? Buahahahahaha!

Sorry. Couldn't resist. :smalltongue:

dude cows kill so many people each year it isn't funny. also the good ref+will over fort come from the monstrous humanoid type

i think powerful charge should not have a limit on how many rounds in a row it can be used. charges are already hard enough to use often in combat, so i don't see it as a problem that any charge attack they make gains this power.

good call.

Dancing_Zephyr
2007-12-04, 05:38 PM
I like the class. However, in the Death Gore ability, you don't say what kind of save the target gets, unless it's an ability from somewhere that I don't know about.

reorith
2007-12-04, 07:34 PM
I like the class. However, in the Death Gore ability, you don't say what kind of save the target gets, unless it's an ability from somewhere that I don't know about.

fortitude, also fixed