PDA

View Full Version : Hypnotic Gaze & Opportunity attacks

Snig
2023-03-01, 12:38 AM
Simple question that I can't seem to figure out. If I end my hypnotic gaze by moving 5ft away from my target, can they then get an opportunity attack, or am I already out of range for their attack when the effect ends?

Also, if anyone has any suggestions on ways to optimize hypnotic gaze, I'd love to hear them. Best spells to concentrate on while maintaining it, bonus actions, defense while using it, etc.

Psyren
2023-03-01, 01:51 AM
By the time the effect ends you'll have already left their threatened area and thus be safe from provoking.

As far as spells, anything that doesn't damage the subject of your gaze should be fine. A few bonus action spells might be good to have handy like Misty Step.

Unoriginal
2023-03-01, 04:51 AM
By the time the effect ends you'll have already left their threatened area and thus be safe from provoking.

Indeed, but only if they have 5ft of reach. Creatures with more due to size or weapon could get the OA.

kazaryu
2023-03-01, 05:18 AM
Also, if anyone has any suggestions on ways to optimize hypnotic gaze, I'd love to hear them. Best spells to concentrate on while maintaining it, bonus actions, defense while using it, etc.

some ideas: invisibility: target only needs to be able to hear you. invisibility has the (relatively niche) potential to be used to disguise or obscure the reason for the target being nonresponsive.

at higher levels far step can be used to move between targets as your hypnotic gaze gets interupted

basically any wall/area denial spell could be good, isolate a target then whammy them, this is particularly useful in fights where one enemy is disproportionately dangerous. isolate/whammy the dangeours baddy, let your allies clean up the scrubs, then focus fire the last guy.

metamagic adept or some sorcerer levels gets you access to quicken spell...which itself gives you the option of waiting until *after* you've managed to whammy someone to cast, thus enabling you to pick the most appropriate spell for the situation, rather than having to precast and hope.

Ir0ns0ul
2023-03-01, 05:23 AM
Hypnotic Gaze states that the target should be able to see OR hear you. So you can pair this ability with the lovely Invisibility spell. Since you are not attacking and not casting a spell, you will remain invisible and your target will remain locked down. If you are a Goblin (or a Rogue 2), that’s even better, because you can hide as a bonus action and then be fully hidden/invisible while keeping your enemy under the gaze.

Bonus/free action spells are also good things to have in the pocket. Familiars (boosted by Dragon’s Breath spell), unseen servants, Flaming Sphere, etc. However, if you have successfully locked down the most dangerous enemy in the encounter while your allies clean the room, you have done your job pretty well.

Corran
2023-03-01, 09:33 AM
Fly. Take me to the moon and let me play among the stars... This will be your verbal component.

Conversly, do it to fliers that cannot hover. Ideal for when you are really high in the air. You are taking yourself out of the fight too, but that can be worth it if the enemy is scary enough or if your concentration spell for the fight (assuming you dont need to concentrate on fly) has taken effect. Like above, it does require one round set up (assuming you can get adjacent immediately and assuming you dont need to cast fly or set up some other concentration spell; otherwise set up time increases). And moreover, it does require you to pull of a successful grapple before hypnoic gaze goes off in the case of skydiving. And you do need to stay in what might be a disadvantageous position if your hypntic gaze fails. So it's risky.

Psyren
2023-03-01, 10:07 AM
Indeed, but only if they have 5ft of reach. Creatures with more due to size or weapon could get the OA.

Good point - that's another reason to have Misty Step :smallsmile:

Hypnotic Gaze states that the target should be able to see OR hear you. So you can pair this ability with the lovely Invisibility spell. Since you are not attacking and not casting a spell, you will remain invisible and your target will remain locked down. If you are a Goblin (or a Rogue 2), that’s even better, because you can hide as a bonus action and then be fully hidden/invisible while keeping your enemy under the gaze.

Hmm, I like this combo! Maybe an Enchanter dip onto an Arcane Trickster :smallcool:

Goblin also has the benefit of letting you Disengage as a bonus action to let you drop your gaze, move to another target, and gaze them, all with impunity.

kazaryu
2023-03-01, 10:31 AM
Goblin also has the benefit of letting you Disengage as a bonus action to let you drop your gaze, move to another target, and gaze them, all with impunity.

the one thing to think about with that is the target does need to be able to hear you, implying that you're making noise. so ymmv depending on DM, but even with that there are still some circumstances it should work

Psyren
2023-03-01, 11:01 AM
the one thing to think about with that is the target does need to be able to hear you, implying that you're making noise. so ymmv depending on DM, but even with that there are still some circumstances it should work

Sure, but I'd argue it shouldn't be too hard to be heard by someone 5ft away from you while remaining hidden from enemies further away - just whisper.

Worst case scenario, if you can't keep from being heard by other assailants - on each turn, use your action to activate or maintain the effect (noisy) and then bonus action to hide afterward. You have to be heard when you use the ability, but it doesn't say you have to be audible constantly.

KorvinStarmast
2023-03-01, 12:26 PM
Worst case scenario, if you can't keep from being heard by other assailants - on each turn, use your action to activate or maintain the effect (noisy) and then bonus action to hide afterward.
Minor illusion takes an action and makes noise as an option. :smallsmile: The noise can be somewhere else, or very near to you ...

kazaryu
2023-03-01, 01:15 PM
Minor illusion takes an action and makes noise as an option. :smallsmile: The noise can be somewhere else, or very near to you ... right but hypnotic gaze is its own action...if you use your action to cast minor illusion, you can't then use your action to use hynotic gaze...also casting minor illusion breaks invisibility.

Sure, but I'd argue it shouldn't be too hard to be heard by someone 5ft away from you while remaining hidden from enemies further away - just whisper.

Worst case scenario, if you can't keep from being heard by other assailants - on each turn, use your action to activate or maintain the effect (noisy) and then bonus action to hide afterward. You have to be heard when you use the ability, but it doesn't say you have to be audible constantly.
it does actually, the effect ends if the target can no longer see or hear you...of course taken to an extreme, that would require you literally constantly like...buzzing. which is weird. but yeah, you're definitely implied to need to be making constant noise.

im not saying this isn't something to keep in mind, i even recomended it in my own comment. im just pointing out a potential problem that could cause this to be more niche that we'd like.

Psyren
2023-03-01, 01:34 PM
it does actually, the effect ends if the target can no longer see or hear you...of course taken to an extreme, that would require you literally constantly like...buzzing. which is weird. but yeah, you're definitely implied to need to be making constant noise.

im not saying this isn't something to keep in mind, i even recomended it in my own comment. im just pointing out a potential problem that could cause this to be more niche that we'd like.

Point, I forgot that second clause, but again you can just whisper constantly. If your DM rules that ruins attempts to hide from anyone who isn't next to you, you should probably retrain the subclass at that point.

Snig
2023-03-01, 01:55 PM
Unfortunately my DM has ruled that casting hypnotic gaze would break invisibility. :(

Psyren
2023-03-01, 02:01 PM
Unfortunately my DM has ruled that casting hypnotic gaze would break invisibility. :(

But it's not a spell or an attack! That sucks.

Gignere
2023-03-01, 02:06 PM

Your DM really hate wizards. Random spells, nerfing the subclass abilities. Wow! I would reroll instead of being a masochist.