PDA

View Full Version : Girl Genius RPG

Yakk
2007-12-03, 11:51 PM
So, is there a good one?

I'm thinking a meta-plot like one might work, where players use game mechanics to rewrite the storyline surrounding their characters... This seems easier than a bunch of pages of mechanics for various inventions. :)

d20-esque doesn't fit the feel of the comic at all.

Archpaladin Zousha
2007-12-03, 11:56 PM
If I remember correctly, the Foglios are working on a GURPS version of it, but I don't think there's anything about it except for the fact that they're working on it.

Yakk
2007-12-04, 01:12 PM
Meh, GURPS is overly simulationist for a game where you'd expect players to invent items on the fly that break the laws of physics. :)

elliott20
2007-12-04, 01:29 PM
fate system 3.0 and it's offshoot Spirits of the Century works pretty well in that way. The system aims to make very minimalist characters so that you can maximize the narrative potential with your characters.

Fate RPG homepage (http://www.faterpg.com/)
Spirits of the Century (http://www.evilhat.com/home/)

WhiteHarness
2007-12-04, 01:46 PM
Meh, GURPS is overly simulationist for a game where you'd expect players to invent items on the fly that break the laws of physics. :)

Are you kidding? Girl Genius was conceived and written with GURPS's Gadgeteering rules in mind. No other system will do as good a job as simulating the world of Girl Genius than GURPS.

Jayabalard
2007-12-04, 02:39 PM
Are you kidding? Girl Genius was conceived and written with GURPS's Gadgeteering rules in mind. No other system will do as good a job as simulating the world of Girl Genius than GURPS.I agree.

while gurps has plenty of rules that are aimed at simulation, it's more of a framework than an actual game...There's nothing difficult about dropping the simulation-ness .

Nerd-o-rama
2007-12-04, 03:21 PM
Since I hate GURPS (although I love Steve Jackson in general), I'll throw out the option of Mutants & Masterminds. I mean, it's practically got Jaegermonsters and Sparks in the title. It's also got the Invention system and Device-based powers right there in black and white, which should suit these particular superhumans quite well.

M&M can model pretty much anything. Mad Science is easy.

psychoticbarber
2007-12-04, 03:21 PM
Are you kidding? Girl Genius was conceived and written with GURPS's Gadgeteering rules in mind. No other system will do as good a job as simulating the world of Girl Genius than GURPS.

Welllll, except maybe the Hero System. But the Hero System and GURPS are extremely similar. I just happen to own and know how to use the Hero System :smallwink:.

SmartAlec
2007-12-04, 11:56 PM
Something like Ars Magica might work nicely. The concepts of research, experimentation, crafting and new discoveries are as pertinent to Clanks as they are to Mages, and that's all part of the system in Ars Magica. For the spellcasting skills and values, you could substitute mechanical/scientific disciplines, and use the inventions the Clanks build as similar to spell foci. Plus, that game assumes that the PCs are all members of a highly eccentric enclave, either as mages, apprentices, servants or all three (you're permitted to play more than one character), and is designed around that. I think a similar approach would work here.

Lord_Kimboat
2007-12-05, 12:34 AM
Welllll, except maybe the Hero System. But the Hero System and GURPS are extremely similar. I just happen to own and know how to use the Hero System :smallwink:.

You know how to use the Hero System!!!! Well in that case, why aren't you out developing the cure for cancer or inventing the first FTL stardrive! I tried valiantly to understand that system but decided to stop when grey stuff started running out of my ears!

Theli
2007-12-05, 11:48 AM
Come on...it isn't that hard.

The most you'll probably be asked to do is a little division. Once you get what the modifiers are for constructing powers, and how they work, it's pretty easy.