PDA

View Full Version : need to learn about the Knights of Solamnia

Samayu
2023-03-01, 11:13 PM
I've been roped into playing a knight of Solamnia, but I don't know much about them and I need to be able to speak evangelically. I only ever read the original DL trilogy. Where can I find info about about the order and its mythology? I have a couple of weeks, but I was hoping not to spend much money. Are there online sources with a lot of info? Or which book would give me the best bang for my buck?

herrhauptmann
2023-03-01, 11:30 PM
There's a wiki. I'm not sure if links are allowed, so just do a google for "Knights of solamnia wiki."

You might want to doublecheck what time period your game will be set in. For instance there was a Lawful Evil group called the Knights of Takhisis, later the Knights of Neraka. Initially they were modeled after the knights of Solamnia, but when their founder died, the dream that held them together died too.

Samayu
2023-03-04, 08:28 PM
There's a wiki. I'm not sure if links are allowed, so just do a google for "Knights of solamnia wiki."

You might want to doublecheck what time period your game will be set in. For instance there was a Lawful Evil group called the Knights of Takhisis, later the Knights of Neraka. Initially they were modeled after the knights of Solamnia, but when their founder died, the dream that held them together died too.

I had found that, thanks. I'll have to memorize what I can. As much as I don't really want to read a whole book, I was kinda hoping for a recommendation, just to give more story to the facts.

We're playing the newly published campaign book.

JadedDM
2023-03-05, 03:27 PM
I can try and give you a rundown, but it would help to know specifically what you're looking for, because there is a lot of information on them.

Like, are we talking history? Culture? Religion? Code and conduct? Hierarchy?

Sigreid
2023-03-05, 04:36 PM
I can try and give you a rundown, but it would help to know specifically what you're looking for, because there is a lot of information on them.

Like, are we talking history? Culture? Religion? Code and conduct? Hierarchy?

Based on his initial request, I think he's interested in their internal mythology and ideals, to include what separates the culture of the 3 orders of sword, crown and rose. I don't remember enough to take a stab at it as the books were 30 years ago for me.

JadedDM
2023-03-05, 06:41 PM
A very, very brief history would be:

The Knights of Solamnia were founded a couple of thousand years prior to the War of the Lance. A soldier of the Ergothian Empire named Vinas Solamnus was sent to what is now considered Solamnia to put down a peasant rebellion. When he arrived, he realized that the peasants were in the right--that the empire he served was oppressing them horribly. Disgusted by the injustice he witnessed, he managed to persuade his own men to turn on the empire and join the rebellion. He whipped the peasants into a fighting force, invaded Ergoth's capitol and took it, forcing the emperor to agree to peace. The nation of Solamnia was founded then, and the people chose Solamnus as their leader.

Later, Solamnus went on a 'quest of honor' and during that time, while fasting and praying, he had a vision from three of the gods--Paladine, Kiri-Jolith and Habbakuk. They told him to found an order of knights to protect Solamnia, comprised of three factions that would serve each of the three gods. They were the Knights of the Crown, dedicated to Habbakuk, known for their loyalty and obedience; all squires joined this order first, before either staying there or progressing forward. The second order were the Knights of the Sword, dedicated to Kiri-Jolith, dedicated to courage and self-sacrifice. The final and most powerful order were the Knights of the Rose, dedicated to Paladine, dedicated to justice and wisdom.

The knights were the ruling force in Solamnia, and were guided by two principles--the Oath and the Measure. The Oath is simple--Est Solarus oth Mithas--"My honor is my life." The Measure was far longer and more complicated, but basically went over their bylaws, rules, codes of conduct, and so forth.

Perhaps one of the most famous knights is Huma Dragonbane, who fought in the Third Dragon War. Legends say he faced Takhisis herself, riding a silver dragon and wielding a legendary dragonlance, and drove her back to the Abyss. Nobody has seen any dragons since then, and many people nowadays don't even believe they exist--although those folk will be surprised when the War of the Lance proves them quite wrong.

When the Cataclysm struck, many people blamed the knights for not protecting them. They fell into disgrace and people came to view them with suspicion, resentment and hate. The War of the Lance helps redeem them and their tarnished reputation. During that time of disgrace, however, the knights became largely corrupt. They were more like politicians than protectors of the realm, more concerned with gatekeeping (originally only nobles could be Rose Knights, for instance, and originally non-humans were not permitted at all) and bolstering their own influence and power. However, there were still a few that believed in the old ways and lived with honor and virtue.

So if you are playing a knight, that's something to be thinking about. You are essentially part of a dying order, disliked and sneered at, and hoping to find a way to redeem the knights through acts of valor and righteousness on the battlefield. Perhaps your character is an idealist, who joined up in hopes of saving the world. Or maybe you are the scion of a long line of knights, and you're hoping to turn things around and redeem your family's name.

Samayu
2023-03-05, 11:06 PM
A very, very brief history would be: ...
That's good info. Thanks!

Basically, I'm playing a knight, and will need to explain why I'm doing what I'm doing and why I'm acting this way. I've been reading the measure on the wiki, so that gives me an idea of how to act and what to do, but I also need to be able to convince the others why it's important. And maybe to convince them to join the order. But the important thing to me is that I feel like I need to be able to throw some real lore/facts into my speech, and not just make up some stories of generic knighthood.

Sigreid
2023-03-06, 11:13 AM
That's good info. Thanks!

Basically, I'm playing a knight, and will need to explain why I'm doing what I'm doing and why I'm acting this way. I've been reading the measure on the wiki, so that gives me an idea of how to act and what to do, but I also need to be able to convince the others why it's important. And maybe to convince them to join the order. But the important thing to me is that I feel like I need to be able to throw some real lore/facts into my speech, and not just make up some stories of generic knighthood.

You can also remember that depending on the time period, they're either seen as respected as valiant heroes standing against the evil dragons or a bunch of weirdoes parading around in their military cosplay expecting to be venerated for acts of heroism by long dead people that probably never actually happened anyway.

Samayu
2023-03-09, 07:32 PM
You can also remember that depending on the time period, they're either seen as respected as valiant heroes standing against the evil dragons or a bunch of weirdoes parading around in their military cosplay expecting to be venerated for acts of heroism by long dead people that probably never actually happened anyway.

Well, yes, I haven't quite figured that bit out. How to play a character who knows this, but is excited for real chivalry... or someone who plans to join the knights, and will follow along, not even realizing they are only relics of a heroic past.