PDA

View Full Version : Mysterious Hat Creature

Phhase
2023-03-02, 01:21 AM
I'm currently playing in a Pathfinder 1 campaign, and we recently encountered a strange entity. Our Druid put on a hat we'd determined gave the wearer +2 to intelligence, and it turned out it was cursed, after a fashion. The druid failed a Fort and a will save and the hat whispered to them, asking if they want the power it can offer them. When they accepted, the hat transformed into something best described as a tiny grell-like creature that proceeded to shove itself into the druid's skull and heal the wound behind it. The druid now has some sort of brain symbiote riding along with them. Does anyone know what it might be? We were able to conclude that it might still be some kind of item rather than strictly an aberration. I'm just curious since I'm unfamiliar with PF1 beasties.

Crake
2023-03-02, 01:41 AM
Sounds to me like something your DM homebrewed, and it would be much more fun to figure out in game rather than trying to metagame it.

Phhase
2023-03-02, 02:02 AM
Sounds to me like something your DM homebrewed, and it would be much more fun to figure out in game rather than trying to metagame it.

Could be. It's not really a problem at the moment and none of us have any idea in character, I'm just curious OOC, if such a thing is allowed. I'm hardly looking to spoil anything for others, just wondering.

Gruftzwerg
2023-03-02, 02:44 AM
I'm currently playing in a Pathfinder 1 campaign, and we recently encountered a strange entity. Our Druid put on a hat we'd determined gave the wearer +2 to intelligence, and it turned out it was cursed, after a fashion. The druid failed a Fort and a will save and the hat whispered to them, asking if they want the power it can offer them. When they accepted, the hat transformed into something best described as a tiny grell-like creature that proceeded to shove itself into the druid's skull and heal the wound behind it. The druid now has some sort of brain symbiote riding along with them. Does anyone know what it might be? We were able to conclude that it might still be some kind of item rather than strictly an aberration. I'm just curious since I'm unfamiliar with PF1 beasties.

Well.. 3.5 has Symbionts. Just google em and you should find a lists for 3.5

Maybe its one of em or as Crake said, maybe its homebrew..

Saintheart
2023-03-02, 03:24 AM
The Sorting Hat from Hogwarts? :smallbiggrin:

Phhase
2023-03-02, 03:45 AM
The Sorting Hat from Hogwarts? :smallbiggrin:

If so, our poor Druid definitely got sorted into Skimbleshart.

Thurbane
2023-03-02, 04:43 AM
Closest thing I can think of in D&D is an Executioners Hood, and even that is not particularly close to what you described.

http://creaturecatalog.enworld.org/cc/converted/aberration/executioners_hood.htm

https://i.somethingawful.com/u/elpintogrande/may09/monsternew9.gif