PDA

View Full Version : Heroforge Plastic mini quality: Which should I go with?

aadder
2023-03-02, 03:57 AM
Hello everyone,

I'm thinking about buying some minis from Heroforge and I'm unsure of which one to go with.

I have a character in mind that requires a new model (two, actually) and I'm unsure if I should go with the gray standard plastic or the black gloss plastic.

My mini design has a lot of fur and teeth, so the higher resolution on the black plastic would be good.

However, it also has a scorpion tail and only a single point of contact with the base, so the greater durability of the standard plastic would also be good. Also, I wouldn't have to pay the extra $10 per mini.

Can anyone tell me if the "more durable" standard plastic is actually more durable, or if the greater resolution on the black plastic is actually that visible? I should also add that I don't really plan on painting my minis so that's not a factor.

When I get them I'll be sure to post pictures and share details on the character; I'm really proud of him, even if he's not very crunchy.

Thanks in advance!

Segev
2023-03-02, 06:48 AM
Personally, I would go with the painted mini. The paint isn't as vibrant as the computer image, but is good enough, and I thunk will have sufficient detail.

I haven't gotten both kinds of plastic to comment on the durability. If durability and detail matter, would the metal cast figures have both at a higher level? I honestly don't know if the metal ones have higher or lower detail. But definitely should be durable.

nickl_2000
2023-03-02, 07:30 AM
If you aren't planning on painting then I would go with the cheaper option. I've bought a few and was extremely pleased with the durability.

With my most recent PC, I actually bought the STL and had someone from ETSY print it. I bought it from https://www.etsy.com/listing/1160224550/3d-miniature-printing-service and I was super pleased with the results overall.

I messaged the seller with a link to the Heroforge design to see if he thought it would turn out well before I even bought the STL, so it might be worth checking out.

My PC for comparison purposes: https://www.heroforge.com/load_config%3D37180559/. If you look at mine, there are lots small details in the different leaves. Those all showed up extremely well in my print from the person.

DarknessEternal
2023-03-02, 11:25 AM
If you're not painting it, get the painted version.

nickl_2000
2023-03-02, 11:30 AM
Personally, I would go with the painted mini. The paint isn't as vibrant as the computer image, but is good enough, and I thunk will have sufficient detail.

I haven't gotten both kinds of plastic to comment on the durability. If durability and detail matter, would the metal cast figures have both at a higher level? I honestly don't know if the metal ones have higher or lower detail. But definitely should be durable.

If you're not painting it, get the painted version.

There is a huge difference in price between $19.99 and $44.99, especially if you are buying 2 minis. Don't get me wrong, I love the printed color minis and have one, but it's can be a hard push to spend that much money on it for many people. Also, I have heard that the printed colored minis are more brittle (I never had issues, but I was cautious with my printed one).

animorte
2023-03-02, 11:32 AM
I'm also interested in this as I have made many hero forge figures, but I've never bought any. I've only considered buying the few that meant a lot to me as legitimate characters.

Oramac
2023-03-02, 11:48 AM
I've got several Heroforge minis. There's two I would happily recommend.

Premium Plastic (29.99): These are great. They're a nice gloss black, and are easily painted. Even if you don't paint them, they still look great and are more than adequate for gaming.

Color Plastic (44.99): The colors and definition are not as good as with the Premium Plastic, but if you know you won't be painting it yourself, and/or can afford the extra cost, they do look pretty good. I get a lot of my minis painted, so I wouldn't normally choose this, but for what it is, it's pretty darn good.

I would NOT recommend the Base Plastic (19.99) models. They are functional, but the sacrificed quality compared to the Premium Plastic is just too much.

An alternative that I can also recommend is Mythforged (https://mythforged.store/). I've bought several minis from them, and while you can't customize them like you can with Heroforge, the minis are great quality and really nice to use.

DarknessEternal
2023-03-03, 01:52 AM
There is a huge difference in price between $19.99 and $44.99, especially if you are buying 2 minis. Don't get me wrong, I love the printed color minis and have one, but it's can be a hard push to spend that much money on it for many people. Also, I have heard that the printed colored minis are more brittle (I never had issues, but I was cautious with my printed one).

It doesn't matter what the quality on a black plastic, unpainted lump is. You can't see any details on it.

And they're the same durability, it just feel that way on the premium plastic because it's smooth, but it's the same material.

EggKookoo
2023-03-03, 06:54 AM
Also, I have heard that the printed colored minis are more brittle (I never had issues, but I was cautious with my printed one).

Yeah, I got my dragonborn (https://www.heroforge.com/load_config%3D6783559/) color-printed and the handle on his axe was bent. I very slowly and carefully tried to straighten it, and just as I got it straight it snapped off. A tiny bit of superglue fixed it and he's good now, but I was surprised that something that cost nearly $50 had a quality issue like that.

My wife's Levistus tiefling (https://www.heroforge.com/load_config%3D37993425/) is arriving today so I guess I wasn't that disappointed...

aadder
2023-03-05, 07:01 AM
If you aren't planning on painting then I would go with the cheaper option. I've bought a few and was extremely pleased with the durability.

With my most recent PC, I actually bought the STL and had someone from ETSY print it. I bought it from https://www.etsy.com/listing/1160224550/3d-miniature-printing-service and I was super pleased with the results overall.

I'm sorry it took me so long to get back to this, thank you so much for recommending this seller.

I'm going to contact them, especially because one of my models is -technically- an "XL" model for Heroforge, so I'd ahve to pay an extra $10, even though it's just because it's slightly taller than they want it to be capped at.

It says I can email them; do you know how responsive they are to inquiry emails?

aadder
2023-03-05, 07:02 AM
It doesn't matter what the quality on a black plastic, unpainted lump is. You can't see any details on it.

Well, I put it to you that when I look at it close I can see it; my brother has some models from Heroforge and they're the black plastic, and while from a distance its just a silhouette, up close you can definitely see everything.

Slingbow
2023-03-05, 07:46 AM
Mythforged sucks. 90% of their female minis are labeled "pinup". Can I please play a female character without trying to give everyone a boner?!?!?

Segev
2023-03-05, 08:22 AM
Mythforged sucks. 90% of their female minis are labeled "pinup". Can I please play a female character without trying to give everyone a boner?!?!?

Is the issue that they actually don't have non-sexy female minis, or that they seem to think that, if it is female, it must be intended to be sexy? Both are issues, but they are different issues that I think are worthy of differentiating.

nickl_2000
2023-03-06, 07:22 AM
I'm sorry it took me so long to get back to this, thank you so much for recommending this seller.

I'm going to contact them, especially because one of my models is -technically- an "XL" model for Heroforge, so I'd ahve to pay an extra $10, even though it's just because it's slightly taller than they want it to be capped at.

It says I can email them; do you know how responsive they are to inquiry emails?

I never used that function, but my guess is that the person would be fairly responsive since they were to messages through ETSY. If you want the messages, go here https://www.etsy.com/shop/MimicryChests?ref=simple-shop-header-name&listing_id=1160224550 then click the contact link and it opens the chat with a seller function.

Oramac
2023-03-06, 12:49 PM

Nearly all of their pinup models have a non-pinup variation. Also, the quality of the models is top notch. I've got several of them and they've all been fantastic models.

EggKookoo
2023-03-06, 01:15 PM
Nearly all of their pinup models have a non-pinup variation. Also, the quality of the models is top notch. I've got several of them and they've all been fantastic models.

I tried going to their site and it was pop-up-pocalypse.

Oramac
2023-03-06, 02:13 PM
I tried going to their site and it was pop-up-pocalypse.

Never experienced that myself, but I use Brave browser, which blocks pretty much everything.

EggKookoo
2023-03-06, 02:23 PM
Never experienced that myself, but I use Brave browser, which blocks pretty much everything.

I'm just on Chrome. I block/whitelist cookies by default, so maybe it was freaking out about that.