PDA

View Full Version : [d20] The Four Humours

Thurbane
2023-03-02, 10:15 PM
Just idle curiosity: does anyone know of any D&D (or other d20) magic (or other) system that incorporates Humorism (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Humorism) (blood, phlegm, black bile and yellow bile)?

Third party or homebrew is fine.

Bonus points if you can dig up anything that touches on the unrelated topic of Phrenology (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Phrenology)as well!

Cheers - T

Jay R
2023-03-02, 10:20 PM
Nothing published, as far as I know. A player once asked me how healing spells know how to fix tendons, ligaments, etc., and I said, "A healing spell balances the humours."

MesiDoomstalker
2023-03-02, 11:18 PM
Not mechanically, but something of a similar vein is used in the faith of Paizo's Urgathoa. As Goddess of Undeath, she's a half-undead woman, split straights down the middle. She has 7 Body Fluids that are important to her faith; Milk, Pus, Blood, Bile and... others that I'm not remembering right now.

Palanan
2023-03-02, 11:43 PM
Also from Pathfinder, there’s the Phrenology skill unlock from Occult Adventures. This is a specialized use of Knowledge (arcana) which allows you to palpate a skull and, depending on your result, determine race, age, gender, alignment, class and HD.

Oddly, you can only do this once per day, which seems like a strange restriction. More reasonably, this can’t be used on plants, oozes, constructs or other creatures without skulls.

Gruftzwerg
2023-03-03, 04:35 AM
Imho Blood Magus would fit.

You get Blood Magic (use blood as component) and can brew potions in your blood system. You can even let others drink from your blood too, to also benefit from the potions.

Tzardok
2023-03-03, 04:44 AM
The Flux Mage prestige class is based on manipulating your bodily fluids, but I think it takes a more "modern medicine" position than a humorist one. You can find it in the Dragon Compendium, together with its counterparts Osteomancer (bone manipulation) and Cerebrex (nerve manipulation).

Thurbane
2023-03-03, 06:32 PM
OK, thanks for the feedback so far, a few things to look into.

Ramza00
2023-03-03, 10:10 PM
Look into anything d20 that is tarot based on four elements based if I recall correctly

Water / Cups, chalices, goblets, vessels Hearts Water Clergy Emotions and love

Fire / Wands, batons, clubs, staves Clubs Fire Artisans Creativity and will

Air / Swords, blades Spades Air Nobility and military Reason

Earth / Pentacles, coins, disks, rings Diamonds Earth Merchants Material body or possessions

Now that is not the four humors but I think one can adapt this.

Bohandas
2023-03-04, 01:20 AM
Dragon issue 338 has four humors themed variant imps

Thurbane
2023-03-04, 01:27 AM
Dragon issue 338 has four humors themed variant imps

Ooh, now that's cool! Thank you.